Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – the big debate goes on

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited December 2015
    Tom said:

Still cogitating on how poor Corbyn was in his speech. This issue is the thing that defines him, that he has worked for all his political life, that made his becoming Leader of the party so important. And then he gives a very poor rambling, almost incoherent speech, hemmed in by refusing to answer basic questions that, with his Stop The War credentials, he should have been happy to confirm.

He's no Michael Foot, is he?

Foot looked strange but had a distinguished career as a writer and journalist before entering parliament and was a very bright man. Corbyn is a dullard who thinks that his banal views are profound.
    Foot was an outstanding and principled Parliamentarian from a generation of great orators and thinkers. There are very few in Parliament or outside it today who could match him. And I say that in spite of disagreeing with pretty much everything he stood for in politics.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

For it to work, its best if several people take hold of different corners of the blanket - and we all throw it together. Our friends have explicitly asked us to help throw the blanket, they want us to do our bit. We're not vital, though we do bring some blanket throwing skill. We could hide in the corner of the garden and let them take all the risk, instead.

But our friends have asked. And they are waiting.

"some blanket throwing skill"? For shame, we have the best blanket throwers in the world and I know we are all proud of the vital work they do in keeping us safe.
    Our blanket is a bit old and tatty though. :/
    Not true, our blanket was extensively refurbished and we bought some very nice cushions to go with it. Other than the USA nobody has a better blanket.
    Indeed our blanket is probably the best anywhere. However, we are now so poor that we can only afford a blanket 2 foot square. Not actually big enough to be of much use to man or beast.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019

Has Cameron left the chamber since this started? I think it speaks volumes that he is still on the Front Bench four hours in.

He does these moments well. Wouldn't be surprised to see him there all day.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    That is why the "terrorist sympathiser" jibe - low blow it may have been - was so effective.

Corbyn's past makes it difficult to take his opposition to war at face value. Does he really oppose war for the reasons he outlines?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I have to admit I'm worried about some of the Lab MPs who are supporting the airstrikes. Pretty much all the candidates for a sensible Lab leader before 2020 (Benn, Johnson, Cooper) seem to be supporting it, but I fear this will prove to be a red-line for even many moderate Labour members.

(Though speaking personally, even as someone against these airstrikes, I wouldn't hold this against a potential leader as long as I was persuaded they genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, rather than that they were doing it just to "make a point" about Corbyn.)

Would you be in favour of bombing IS if London, and not Paris was attacked ?
    I won't lie, if Britain was attacked then my gut/emotional reaction probably would be that we have to "do something". Hell, that was even my initial reaction a bit immediately after Paris.

But the more I think about it, the more I don't see how this will achieve anything to actually help defeat ISIL, other than that immediate gratification that we're "doing something". As (I think) Foxinsox said earlier, this feels rather like whacking a hornets' nest a few times, before running away after we've got them all angry.
    I worry that we don't have a carefully thought out strategy beyond joining in the bombing which may be helpful but is not enough to defeat IS in the way it needs to be defeated.

If all we do is a bit of bombing and nothing else happens what use will it be? What then?

Still, sometimes the choices are unenviable ones and a decision has to be made.

'we' as in the UK are just one part of a bombing campaign. I hear zero suggestions about hpw to deal with isis.
    Bombing is part of what's needed. It is necessary. But not sufficient. Ultimately, for territory to be removed from IS it needs to be retaken by ground troops. And that will be bloody.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015

Russia presents 'evidence' of Turkey fencing ISIS' oil. Erdogan has claimed he will resign if this is proven - this is the Russian's presentation of that proof. (Video of press briefing)

https://www.rt.com/news/324263-russia-briefing-isis-funding/

Ah, the fiercely independent and unbiased, Russia Today.
  • Options

glw said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

For it to work, its best if several people take hold of different corners of the blanket - and we all throw it together. Our friends have explicitly asked us to help throw the blanket, they want us to do our bit. We're not vital, though we do bring some blanket throwing skill. We could hide in the corner of the garden and let them take all the risk, instead.

"some blanket throwing skill"? For shame, we have the best blanket throwers in the world and I know we are all proud of the vital work they do in keeping us safe.
    Our blanket is a bit old and tatty though. :/
    Not true, our blanket was extensively refurbished and we bought some very nice cushions to go with it. Other than the USA nobody has a better blanket.
    Indeed our blanket is probably the best anywhere. However, we are now so poor that we can only afford a blanket 2 foot square. Not actually big enough to be of much use to man or beast.
    nice graphic on Wikipedia:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/World_Navy_Aircraft_carries_chart.svg/2000px-World_Navy_Aircraft_carries_chart.svg.png
  • Options
    Johnny Mercer once again proving why I'm right to have a mahoosive man crush on him.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

That is why the "terrorist sympathiser" jibe - low blow it may have been - was so effective.

Corbyn's past makes it difficult to take his opposition to war at face value. Does he really oppose war for the reasons he outlines?

effective and accurate.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Johnny Mercer once again proving why I'm right to have a mahoosive man crush on him.

Really? I though he spoke so badly that I couldn't focus on what he was trying to say.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2015

AndyJS said:

Margaret Beckett on BBC News Channel talking about abuse. Abuse received by Labour MPs from activists.

Kinder gentler politics. No bullying in the Labour party, everybody is a left wing pacifist now.
    The hard left have failed at the ballot box for so long they have to get their point across somehow, direct action is the most self satisfying way to do this; political onanism if you will.
  • Options

Really? I though he spoke so badly that I couldn't focus on what he was trying to say.
    Yeah, didn't flow too well audio-only, I assume it worked better on TV?
  • Options

Yeah, didn't flow too well audio-only, I assume it worked better on TV?
    Not on my screen...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    As an old peacenik,my mind is made up on matters such as the syriavote and I aint changing my mind and militarists the same so there's no point in fussin' and fightin'.
    Key intervention from Owen Jones-Jezza will not be PM,he says.
    I suggest the next Labour leader market bears scrutiny once more as a result.Accepting there is a majority of Labour party members against the bombing of Syria,what could the effect of those supporting it have on their odds?
    I'm happy with 16-1 on Keir Starmer,who has a very nuanced against view and I'd be a layer of Dan Jarvis and Hilary Benn,who have maybe scuppered their chances.I only wish the Labour party realised,it's time for a woman and had an all women shortlist for leader though I can't see it coming any time soon.Lisa Nandy is top-priced woman at 10-1 with PP,a small saving bet as insurance perhaps.
    The abuse going round is really unacceptable.So far as well as being a terrorist sympathiser I am a "leftie conchy bedwetter".C'mon folks,we can do better than that,can't we?
  • Options
    Richard St Nicholas ‏@rtrnicholl 46 mins46 minutes ago

BREAKING: Andy Burnham confirms he will vote for, vote against and abstain on airstrikes.

"I'm from the North, you know," he added.

lol.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I have to admit I'm worried about some of the Lab MPs who are supporting the airstrikes. Pretty much all the candidates for a sensible Lab leader before 2020 (Benn, Johnson, Cooper) seem to be supporting it, but I fear this will prove to be a red-line for even many moderate Labour members.

(Though speaking personally, even as someone against these airstrikes, I wouldn't hold this against a potential leader as long as I was persuaded they genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, rather than that they were doing it just to "make a point" about Corbyn.)

I won't lie, if Britain was attacked then my gut/emotional reaction probably would be that we have to "do something". Hell, that was even my initial reaction a bit immediately after Paris.

But the more I think about it, the more I don't see how this will achieve anything to actually help defeat ISIL, other than that immediate gratification that we're "doing something". As (I think) Foxinsox said earlier, this feels rather like whacking a hornets' nest a few times, before running away after we've got them all angry.
    I worry that we don't have a carefully thought out strategy beyond joining in the bombing which may be helpful but is not enough to defeat IS in the way it needs to be defeated.

If all we do is a bit of bombing and nothing else happens what use will it be? What then?

Still, sometimes the choices are unenviable ones and a decision has to be made.

'we' as in the UK are just one part of a bombing campaign. I hear zero suggestions about hpw to deal with isis.
    Bombing is part of what's needed. It is necessary. But not sufficient. Ultimately, for territory to be removed from IS it needs to be retaken by ground troops. And that will be bloody.
    It need not be, Mrs Free. If the nations of the coalition decide to play hardball rather than ponce around then taking the ground could be quite bloodless. What happens after that is another matter, but as no one wants to play for keeps it is all a bit moot.

My best guess is that in a few years the Western Powers will get bored, declare victory and go home.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Richard St Nicholas ‏@rtrnicholl 46 mins46 minutes ago

BREAKING: Andy Burnham confirms he will vote for, vote against and abstain on airstrikes.

"I'm from the North, you know," he added.

lol.

Andy "Schrödinger" Burnham.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    taffys said:

On that note: From 'Love and garbage'

the person who wants to do nothing is pretending that he would be happy to do something if the thing that could be done did not actually amount to anything by setting a series of conditions as to things that he knows are impossible to attain, and consequently amount to nothing. Every observer knows that he always wants to do nothing, and so arguing that he has carefully considered the position and concluded that doing nothing is the answer sits awkwardly with his never wanting to do something, meaning that the things he has said he has considered before deciding that he should not do something but should instead do nothing might actually not have been things at all, and were in fact nothing.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The hornets are already angry, and plan to sting us to death. They also threaten to sting our friends and neighbours to death.

Some of these friends have got hold of a blanket and want to throw it over the nest. It's not ideal, it won't get rid of all hornets, it's risky, some will get stung, but it might subdue the nest or even kill it off. And no one has a better idea, right now.

There are also groups of angry hornets lurking in our own back yard whose nest we will be poking when we grab a corner of the blanket
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,193

Russia presents 'evidence' of Turkey fencing ISIS' oil. Erdogan has claimed he will resign if this is proven - this is the Russian's presentation of that proof. (Video of press briefing)

It'll be interesting to see how well it stands up. It wouldn't surprise me; then again, I think the accusations first came about during Erdogan's fall-out with Gulen, so might just be manufactured from that time.

You should remember that Russia aren't exactly impartial in this either.

All in all, it's quite funny. The AKP first came to power because the previous secular DSP government was widely seen as being both incompetent and corrupt. As someone said to me: a government can be incompetent or corrupt, but to be both just makes the country a laughing-stock.

Yet as the AKP has gone on, it seems to be becoming both more incompetent and corrupt. Part of that might be the stonking majorities it has got at most elections; some of it the Turkish system, and some may be untrue.

Let's see their evidence, and how Turkey responds.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The hornets are already angry, and plan to sting us to death. They also threaten to sting our friends and neighbours to death.

Some of these friends have got hold of a blanket and want to throw it over the nest. It's not ideal, it won't get rid of all hornets, it's risky, some will get stung, but it might subdue the nest or even kill it off. And no one has a better idea, right now.

There are also groups of angry hornets lurking in our own back yard whose nest we will be poking when we grab a corner of the blanket
    Give up, and become a hornet. It's probably safer than fighting them.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753

Still cogitating on how poor Corbyn was in his speech. This issue is the thing that defines him, that he has worked for all his political life, that made his becoming Leader of the party so important. And then he gives a very poor rambling, almost incoherent speech, hemmed in by refusing to answer basic questions that, with his Stop The War credentials, he should have been happy to confirm.

Was is Chesterton who said that when people stop believing in God, they will believe in anything?

Many in the Negative Nationalist group don't know *why* they support/don't support the things they do. Hence the aggressive ranting when asked. To them they are articles of faith. The word of a higher power. Not to be questioned - except unbelievers, of course.

Foot on the other hand had a set of ideas, backed by arguments and completed by a philosophical mind. He could tell you what he believed and why. I think he was wrong on many things, but at least he thought about it.

Corbyn is an indifferent village verger of decayed faith.
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    Cyclefree said:

And it won't just be restricted to Syria. We will more of less have to sweep across North Africa, too.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    watford30 said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Give up, and become a Hornet.
    Watford.. Hornet.. I geddit
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

As a beekeeper, the lesson is simple.. Exterminate them all. Ruthlessly.

Leave hornets that are no a problem. But massacre all that attack...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Will PB be using the word Daesh from now on?
  • Options

As an old peacenik,my mind is made up on matters such as the syriavote and I aint changing my mind and militarists the same so there's no point in fussin' and fightin'.
    Key intervention from Owen Jones-Jezza will not be PM,he says.
    I suggest the next Labour leader market bears scrutiny once more as a result.Accepting there is a majority of Labour party members against the bombing of Syria,what could the effect of those supporting it have on their odds?
    I'm happy with 16-1 on Keir Starmer,who has a very nuanced against view and I'd be a layer of Dan Jarvis and Hilary Benn,who have maybe scuppered their chances.I only wish the Labour party realised,it's time for a woman and had an all women shortlist for leader though I can't see it coming any time soon.Lisa Nandy is top-priced woman at 10-1 with PP,a small saving bet as insurance perhaps.
    The abuse going round is really unacceptable.So far as well as being a terrorist sympathiser I am a "leftie conchy bedwetter".C'mon folks,we can do better than that,can't we?

We can get Momentum to picket your house and terrify your family if you want. :-)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Burnham will vote against.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Labour's @andyburnhammp says won't back air strikes #SyriaVote
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    watford30 said:

Ah, the fiercely independent and unbiased, Russia Today.
    As I said, it's a video of a press briefing. It's the even more fiercely independent and unbiased Russian Defence Ministry. ;)

• Options
    "Corbyn is an indifferent village verger of decayed faith."

Superb, Mr. Malmesbury, quite superb.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    AndyJS said:

I'll be using الدولة الإسلامية في العراق والشام
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    dr_spyn said:
    They have been working hard I have to say.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: I'm thinking more than half shadow cabinet must be backing Corbyn over r#syriavote #turnaround
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    edited December 2015
    We are asked to support our friends, but should we do so if our friends are making a gigantic error?
    I would not trust the Americans to make a sensible decision in an area of this complexity.
  • Options
    taffys said:

He has claimed he is not an "absolute " pacifist. He defended the Soviet invasion of Ukraine..So he's anti West.
    Period..
  • Options

I agree about him being a poor speaker. He is lost without his notes in front of him. John Baron was almost incoherent. We don't seem to have heard from the "young corbynistas. The best speakers are still the "oldies."

Margaret Beckett and Pat McFadden still ahead for me.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Michael Deacon
    A list of public misconceptions, released today by the polling firm Ipsos Mori https://t.co/ln51959ruy
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: I'm thinking more than half shadow cabinet must be backing Corbyn over r#syriavote #turnaround

Spineless....And no chance they get rid of Corbyn anytime soon. Weak, weak, weak...All they will do is continue to bitch and moan to Guardian and BBC journos in the pub about how disastrous he is, how useless he is, but do nothing to change it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited December 2015

Scott_P said:

Spineless....And no chance they get rid of Corbyn anytime soon. Weak, weak, weak...All they will do is continue to bitch and moan to Guardian and BBC journos in the pub about how disastrous he is, how useless he is, but do nothing to change it.
    We know they are... 10 or 11 declared in favour of Corbyn's view.

Not really surprising though? At most we were talking of 100 rebels, always going to disproportionately backbenchers.
  • Options

We are asked to support our friends, but should we do so if our friends are making a gigantic error?
    I would not trust the Americans to make a sensible decision in an area of this complexity.

Fair enough. What about the French?
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: Ed Miliband will oppose air strikes and likewise Ivan Lewis an "arch Blairite" etc - no coherent strategy etc.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    isam said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Well we'll have to deal with them too.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Michael Deacon
    A list of public misconceptions, released today by the polling firm Ipsos Mori https://t.co/ln51959ruy

Rename to "list to show how ignorant people are".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I'll be using الدولة الإسلامية في العراق والشام
    In that case, our hopes have been Daeshed!
  • Options
    Hilary Benn and Dan Jarvis were 36.42% of the market so Betfair told me !

They have no chance if they vote against this.

Andy has no chance either no matter which way he votes. Trying to climb Jeremy's slippery pole methinks.
  • Options

As you well know, Assad's forces are and were offering the only serious opposition to ISIS, and bombing them (as a form of 'punishment' as it was presented) would have presented a great boon to ISIS.

No. Iran and Hezbollah's forces are now providing the only serious opposition to ISIS in Syria.

As for two years ago: Assad was under so much pressure he used chemical weapons. We should not have ignored that, and it is to our shame we did. The west ignored Saddam when he used them against Iran, and then against his own population, and much of this mess can be traced back to the west turning a blind eye back then.

(And I know you don't agree with me that he did use them)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,942
    Have we had any polling Re. Oldham?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Scott_P said:

"Cameron's got this in the bag. F*ck my principals, I want to an MP in 5 years time so I'm voting no." Not so much jellyfish as slime mould.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Daniel said:

Cyclefree said:

And it won't just be restricted to Syria. We will more of less have to sweep across North Africa, too.
    And here is what I think is the most important statement in this thread so far.

If we're to stop ISIS, we need to be looking at Libya, and doing so yesterday. In terms of ISIS, forget Syria - the Russians are sinking their teeth into them there. Libya is a total vacuum, a dinghy ride away from Southern Europe. And ISIS I believe already have a presence. It needs a firm political settlement, a strong Government, and an end to the fighting right now.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Perhaps our 'friends' shouldn't have been the prime movers in an attempt to remove a Government by means of chucking weapons at anyone in the vicinity with a grudge and a beard. Leading directly to the attack on them.

Perhaps that government shouldn't have tried slaughtering its own citizens and using chemical weapons against them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    edited December 2015

The French are, understandably hitting back hard at someone who hit them. A candid friend should I think urge to stop before the collateral damage is too high.

Before anyone jumps on me, I find ISIL a horrible, barbaric group, preaching a perversion of "religion". They've got to be exterminated, but I can't see that an air war is the way to do it, The dreadful complication is that virtually everyone involved in the Syrian conflict are people who are also horrible, although perhaps not as horrible as ISIS.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hilary Benn and Dan Jarvis were 36.42% of the market so Betfair told me !

They have no chance if they vote against this.

Andy has no chance either no matter which way he votes. Trying to climb Jeremy's slippery pole methinks.

I know you are firmly of that view Pulpstar but I cannot see the reason for your certainty.

As far as I see it, either Corbyn is overthrown in the next year, in which case will be those well-positioned within the party post-coup who count; or he will resign in 2019-21, in which case Labour might be ready to move to the centre of their own accord.

Either way I am far from convinced their positioning on one of these votes would swing it.
  • Options
    Has the UKIP block spoken yet in the debate?
  • Options
    Does anyone know how Harman is voting?
  • Options

The French are, understandably hitting back hard at someone who hit them. A candid friend should I think urge to stop before the collateral damage is too high.

Before anyone jumps on me, I find ISIL a horrible, barbaric group, preaching a perversion of "religion". They've got to be exterminated, but I can't see that an air war is the way to do it, The dreadful complication is that virtually everyone involved in the Syrian conflict are people who are also horrible, although perhaps not as horrible as ISIS.
    I fear it's becoming ever clearer that the West is weak, and scared, and that ultimately ISIS will win.
  • Options

That's not very nice, he's a very intelligent man.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Perhaps our 'friends' shouldn't have been the prime movers in an attempt to remove a Government by means of chucking weapons at anyone in the vicinity with a grudge and a beard. Leading directly to the attack on them.

Perhaps that government shouldn't have tried slaughtering its own citizens and using chemical weapons against them.
    Turkey has also bombed its own citizens in Kurdistan both historically and currently.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Taking part in a coordinated effort, for the first time, between NATO forces and Russia, to tackle a real threat to our security provides a historic opportunity to fix the fault lines that were left after the Cold War and bring Russia back into the family of European nations. That prize alone is so compelling that whatever the merits of the current strategy against IS, we should not stand aside and leave it to our allies.
    What do you think Russia's end game in Syria is? Do you think it is the same end-game as the NATO countries' ? Which, if either, is right?

The answer to the former can be found in the targets Russia has mainly been bombing: they want to preserve Assad's power in his core heartland, which is strategic for Russia. The answer to the second is to banish ISIS.

I'd say our end-game is more vital than Russia's.
  • Options

Mark Reckless lost his seat at the GE don't you know ;-)
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    What time do they vote on this?
  • Options

Who?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Scheduled, 10PM for hostile amendment, 10.15 for motion. No idea how realistic that is though.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

10pm I think
  • Options

Turkey has also bombed its own citizens in Kurdistan both historically and currently.

Indeed, and Kurds have been bombing Turkey.

One of the festering sores in Turkey's soul (and I have to be careful saying this) is the denial of the Armenian genocide, and the knock-on effect that has on their relationship with their Kurdish population.

But Turkey has not used chemical weapons.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I don't really like the term - I find it confusing and grammatically ambiguous - but it really pisses them off, so I might use it for that reason and that alone.
  • Options

It can, the argument goes, put pressure on ISIS to make it easier for the 'local' ground forces to retake ISIS territory. It can be argued that such air power is already helping make a difference: whenever ISIS congregate a significant force to take territory, it is vulnerable.
  • Options

Who?
    I did a thread about Mark Reckless.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/22/the-most-important-result-on-may-7th/
  • Options

One of the festering sores in Turkey's soul (and I have to be careful saying this) is the denial of the Armenian genocide, and the knock-on effect that has on their relationship with their Kurdish population.

I grant you the point re. CW.

But why shouldn't Turkey "welcome" the rise of The Caliphate?
    Where was the Caliphate based until 1924?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have we had any polling Re. Oldham?

Not any public polling
  • Options
    With Ed M and Burnham, If the polls had been right, today we'd have a Labour/SNP coalition Govt. refusing to act after requests from France and after seeing a UN resolution calling on us to act.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I don't really like the term - I find it confusing and grammatically ambiguous - but it really pisses them off, so I might use it for that reason and that alone.
    ISTR reading that they really don't care (I think it was in the review of ISIS's in-house glossy)
  • Options

Who?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/06/22/the-most-important-result-on-may-7th/
    Nope - still doing nothing for me.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Taking part in a coordinated effort, for the first time, between NATO forces and Russia, to tackle a real threat to our security provides a historic opportunity to fix the fault lines that were left after the Cold War and bring Russia back into the family of European nations. That prize alone is so compelling that whatever the merits of the current strategy against IS, we should not stand aside and leave it to our allies.
    What do you think Russia's end game in Syria is? Do you think it is the same end-game as the NATO countries' ? Which, if either, is right?

The answer to the former can be found in the targets Russia has mainly been bombing: they want to preserve Assad's power in his core heartland, which is strategic for Russia. The answer to the second is to banish ISIS.

What is the UK 's end game in this conflict? If anyone knows they are keeping it a closely guarded secret. Cameron's seven platitudes really aren't good enough because they can mean different things to different people.

So as Russia seems to know what it wants to achieve and we do not, who do you think is going to come out on top?
  • Options
    Edward Leigh talking meaningless drivel. He is unable to take a stand - though the state of his face clearly indicates a strong ability to take a drink.

I find his equivocation very small minded
  • Options
    I'm told two @LibDems MPs "struggling" to support @timfarron in opposing airstrikes #syriavote

Full on rebellion in the Lib Dem party....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Who?

Perhaps TPD rings a bell?
  • Options

Edward Leigh talking meaningless drivel. He is unable to take a stand - though the state of his face clearly indicates a strong ability to take a drink.

I find his equivocation very small minded

On the rare occasions like today, we often find out who the real good parliamentarians are and who are the toads, the weasels and the generally useless.
  • Options

I grant you the point re. CW.

But why shouldn't Turkey "welcome" the rise of The Caliphate?
    Where was the Caliphate based until 1924?
    This goes back to the neo-Ottoman allegation, when neo-Ottoman refers to culture rather than territory. Hence why there's such an argument over the wearing of headscarves.

So why does no-one significant in Turkey want a return to the Ottoman empire? The answer is simple: they have enough trouble with the territory they have without importing new populations. The Turkish memory is also deep: the Ottoman empire became unmanageable and had a slow decline over centuries, nearly destroying the country in the process. Only Ataturk saved it.

But Turkey knows it is in a vital strategic location, both historically and in the present. They do have interests in trying to be the biggest and most influential economic power in the region. And in that, they might come into direct conflict with Russia.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

AndyJS said:

Does it really piss them off though? People who celebrate how barbaric they are don't like a name?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I fear it's becoming ever clearer that the West is weak, and scared, and that ultimately ISIS will win.''

Scared maybe, weak no.

100,000 well armed well supported Western troops would go through ISIS for a short cut. Add 100,000 Russians and its game over.

I think its more 'feeling guilty' than either of the above.
  • Options

I'm told two @LibDems MPs "struggling" to support @timfarron in opposing airstrikes #syriavote

But Tim Farron supports airstrikes right?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

What is the UK 's end game in this conflict? If anyone knows they are keeping it a closely guarded secret. Cameron's seven platitudes really aren't good enough because they can mean different things to different people.

So as Russia seems to know what it wants to achieve and we do not, who do you think is going to come out on top?
    I thought (and might be wrong) it is to remove the threat from ISIS and alN in the short term, and in the long term to support the Vienna peace talks in working towards a transitional government that might be able to bring peace to Syria.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Scott_P said:

It may well be most of the party does, either by voting with him or at least not with the government. Not so different from the members after all, which is good for unity at least.
  • Options
    @Conorpope: This discovery will change my life: https://t.co/NJG3HhZt0A now allows you search by speaker. Best thing since sliced parma ham.
  • Options

Brake and Pugh nailed on.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Any ETA for the vote?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Current operators of Brimstone: UK, Saudi Arabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(missile)#Operators
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Does it really piss them off though? People who celebrate how barbaric they are don't like a name?
    Given they'll happily rape and murder a woman for being out on her own, or showing an ankle, I don't think their likes and dislikes are a matter of rationality.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It may well be most of the party does, either by voting with him or at least not with the government. Not so different from the members after all, which is good for unity at least.
    Given they are opposing a majority government with some rebels an opposition abstention is as good as voting with e government. It is effectively backing action but without putting your head above the parapet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Who cares if it pisses them off ffs? I don't get people's need to demonstrate that they are jolly cross with a murderous death cult. It should be a given.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Given they'll happily rape and murder a woman for being out on her own, or showing an ankle, I don't think their likes and dislikes are a matter of rationality.
    They have banned pigeon breeding as they reveals genitals. Tells you all you need to know about rationality.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, even if they don't put their heads above the parapet, there's 'nowhere to hide'.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I fear it's becoming ever clearer that the West is weak, and scared, and that ultimately ISIS will win.''

Scared maybe, weak no.

100,000 well armed well supported Western troops would go through ISIS for a short cut. Add 100,000 Russians and its game over.

And do they then just stay forever?

• Options
    RobD said:

Who?

Perhaps TPD rings a bell?
    Total and Permanent Disability option on PHI / Income Protection policies?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753

taffys said:

Scared maybe, weak no.

taffys said:

Scared maybe, weak no.

Butcher and bolt.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brake and Pugh nailed on.
    Brake intervened on Cameron and said he would back the motion. So it must be someone else - Williams maybe?
This discussion has been closed.