Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – the big debate goes on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – the big debate goes on

Tim Farron backing air strikes. "This is toughest call I have ever had to make, and certainly in this House". Cites UN resolution &refugees.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Very principled from Farron. Doubt it'll win him many votes, but good to see none the less.
  • Options
    Will the Lib Dems see a proportionately bigger rebellion against their leader's line in this debate than Labour?
  • Options

Will the Lib Dems see a proportionately bigger rebellion against their leader's line in this debate than Labour?

Surely Clegg will be in favour of the bombings, Brake and Pugh against maybe ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    edited December 2015
    FPT

Sandpit said:

I'm liking Farron

Did you think you'd be saying that today?
    It appears that the whole Commons - bar Corbyn and his clique - are now in favour of the motion.
    Absolutely not but I was seriously impressed with him
    Debates like today's show Parliament at its finest. People around the world are watching this debate right now, for many they are hearing the arguments for the first time.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Thought Farron made a good middle path using UN and Charlie Kennedy previous decisions to make his case.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Very principled from Farron. Doubt it'll win him many votes, but good to see none the less.

:+1:
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FOT

Sandpit said:

I'm liking Farron

It appears that the whole Commons - bar Corbyn and his clique - are now in favour of the motion.
    Debates like today's show Parliament at its finest. People around the world are watching this debate right now, for many they are hearing the arguments for the first time.
    It has since the back benches joined in - Cameron was underwhelming and Corbyn was dire (tho in fairness Robertson did well) - for some reason Labour MPs want to give 'Terrorist sympathisers' more airtime.....
  • Options
    Gisela Stuart the next one up supporting the government.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Sandpit said:

FOT

Sandpit said:

I'm liking Farron

It has since the back benches joined in - Cameron was underwhelming and Corbyn was dire (tho in fairness Robertson did well) - for some reason Labour MPs want to give 'Terrorist sympathisers' more airtime.....
    I think I was lucky to miss the opening skirmishes, the backbench debate I have seen is excellent.

Gisela Stuart: "If this had happened in London, and France when asked to support had said 'no'..." Well said.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"A 50-year-old woman who fears that the passing of her youth and beauty means the end of everything that “sparkles” in life has been granted permission to die by the court of protection. In a highly unusual judgment published this week, King’s College Hospital NHS Trust has been told that the unnamed woman has the capacity to make up her own mind and is entitled to refuse the life-saving kidney dialysis treatment she requires."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/02/court-grants-impulsive-self-centred-mother-permission-to-die
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    David Davis being David Davis again, I see.

He would oppose Cameron no matter what.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Still cogitating on how poor Corbyn was in his speech. This issue is the thing that defines him, that he has worked for all his political life, that made his becoming Leader of the party so important. And then he gives a very poor rambling, almost incoherent speech, hemmed in by refusing to answer basic questions that, with his Stop The War credentials, he should have been happy to confirm.

He's no Michael Foot, is he?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

FOT

Sandpit said:

I'm liking Farron

I think I was lucky to miss the opening skirmishes, the backbench debate I have seen is excellent.

Stuart: "If this had happened in London, and France when asked to support had said 'no'..." Well said.
    For these big debates the backbench speeches often are. It's as if they rise to the occasion whereas the leaders may find the pressure greatest. To be fair, though, I thought Cameron was pretty good in the debate last week.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2015
    ''It has since the back benches joined in - Cameron was underwhelming and Corbyn was dire (tho in fairness Robertson did well) - for some reason Labour MPs want to give 'Terrorist sympathisers' more airtime.....''

Is there a single MP in the house who is voting against bombing primarily because they sympathise with ISIS?

That is the question raised by Cameron's comments, it seems to me.
  • Options

At least Ted Heath had actually been leader.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If they had Johnson as leader Labour would now be ahead of the Tories in the polls, and rising - not 10-15 points behind, and falling.

A song a dance and a merry quip.
    Simply standing up and giving a rational opinion based on easily determined truths is not a particularly high bar to pass.
    The decision to be made is a sad one but not particularly difficult for people who live in the real world. The previous decision by Labour and Ed Miliband - to play politics - did of course help make the situation worse.
  • Options

Still cogitating on how poor Corbyn was in his speech. This issue is the thing that defines him, that he has worked for all his political life, that made his becoming Leader of the party so important. And then he gives a very poor rambling, almost incoherent speech, hemmed in by refusing to answer basic questions that, with his Stop The War credentials, he should have been happy to confirm.

It's not that surprising though, is it? He's largely been speaking to people who agree with him. He's never had to persuade or been challenged. If you just talk to yourself you're almost bound to end up rambling and being incoherent. And opposing everything is easy. Saying what you will do instead is much much harder.
  • Options
    The Fink is brilliant today - Galloway is right, Jezza isn't being left-wing enough to keep his activists happy and will never please the PLP.

Oh, and that Wedgie was right too - deselections are necessary if you want to retain power, whilst not whipping and having ShCab collective responsibility...it's the only way to make it work.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4629477.ece

• Options
    The debate is getting better now those posturing MPs' have shut up.

As a conservative, I have to say the best speech so far has come from Margaret Beckett.

Earlier, Tom Watson's face was an absolute picture. All the nastiness was there for all to see. He looked like he was going to attack the PM. Yes, he and Hilary Benn indicated the PM should stand up and apologise but if you watch Benn then shouts to Tom Watson to "shut up, that's enough." Do watch, it was quite a moment. No one seems to have spotted this. From there on, Tom Watson looked like he wanted to disappear into a big hole.

There is still a way to go but this is not one of Parliament's greatest days. A lot of MPs' being exposed as the poor speakers they are
  • Options
    Heavy rain forecast for Oldham tomorrow between 4pm and 9pm, the time when Labour voters traditionally go to the polling stations (although I don't whether that's still true these days):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2641022
  • Options

ho ho ho
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It's not that surprising though, is it? He's largely been speaking to people who agree with him. He's never had to persuade or been challenged. If you just talk to yourself you're almost bound to end up rambling and being incoherent. And opposing everything is easy. Saying what you will do instead is much much harder.
    He is dim.
  • Options
    This is meant to be Jeremy Corbyn’s home turf – after all, he has spent most of the past three decades reciting the same old cant against supposed imperialism. Unfortunately for his supporters, today we saw exactly why his 32 years of campaigning as an MP have borne so little fruit: it’s a weak case, which he isn’t very good at making......

.......The inevitable conclusion is that the paucity of his argument on this case is due to the fact that his position is instead based on his general opposition to all British military intervention, anywhere, any time and for any reason. That was made all too clear when John Woodcock asked him to commit his support for continued airstrikes in Iraq, and he notably failed to do so. Ultimately, Corbyn’s speech will have done nothing to win over Labour MPs who are minded to vote with the government.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/02/david-cameron-jeremy-corbyn-airstrikes-syria
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"A 50-year-old woman who fears that the passing of her youth and beauty means the end of everything that “sparkles” in life has been granted permission to die by the court of protection. In a highly unusual judgment published this week, King’s College Hospital NHS Trust has been told that the unnamed woman has the capacity to make up her own mind and is entitled to refuse the life-saving kidney dialysis treatment she requires."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/02/court-grants-impulsive-self-centred-mother-permission-to-die

I read that this morning, a pretty grim business all round.
  • Options

The great skunk.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I have to admit I'm worried about some of the Lab MPs who are supporting the airstrikes. Pretty much all the candidates for a sensible Lab leader before 2020 (Benn, Johnson, Cooper) seem to be supporting it, but I fear this will prove to be a red-line for even many moderate Labour members.

(Though speaking personally, even as someone against these airstrikes, I wouldn't hold this against a potential leader as long as I was persuaded they genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, rather than that they were doing it just to "make a point" about Corbyn.)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

As a conservative, I have to say the best speech so far has come from Margaret Beckett.

Earlier, Tom Watson's face was an absolute picture. All the nastiness was there for all to see. He looked like he was going to attack the PM. Yes, he and Hilary Benn indicated the PM should stand up and apologise but if you watch Benn then shouts to Tom Watson to "shut up, that's enough." Do watch, it was quite a moment. No one seems to have spotted this. From there on, Tom Watson looked like he wanted to disappear into a big hole.

There is still a way to go but this is not one of Parliament's greatest days. A lot of MPs' being exposed as the poor speakers they are

Agrew about Beckett. I thought her speech was outstanding.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    So, I've been away from screens all day - how much of the debate, for and against, has just been rehashings of what has already been said? If it is less than half I owe them an apology, as that was my reasoning as to why 1 day would be enough rather than 2 days.

A conservative councillor of my acquaintance claimed support for bombing was dropping by the hour, any truth to that?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

FOT

Sandpit said:

I'm liking Farron

Stuart: "If this had happened in London, and France when asked to support had said 'no'..." Well said.
    For these big debates the backbench speeches often are. It's as if they rise to the occasion whereas the leaders may find the pressure greatest. To be fair, though, I thought Cameron was pretty good in the debate last week.
    The backbenchers have been generally superb. The majority of the debate has been about the issues.

Cameron was very good last week. The reason that we discuss leaders ageing quickly is when we see days like this, the PM must feel personally the burden of knowing that we put our armed forces in harm's way, in the name of the government he leads.
  • Options
    I think it was during Beckett's speech that someone off camera attempted an intervention and I clearly heard another female MP say "Sit back down" - no intervention came... I could almost see them grabbing someone's arm and pulling them back.

• Options
    TomTom Posts: 273

Foot looked strange but had a distinguished career as a writer and journalist before entering parliament and was a very bright man. Corbyn is a dullard who thinks that his banal views are profound.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    FPT

Stella Creasy is not 'out to left' of the Labour party, FGS. I'm not surprised to hear that she's been targetted. There is indeed an underlying sexism in the Hard Left's attacks on Creasy. This is the stupidity of the Hard Left. These people believe they represent the values of Keir Hardie, Clement Attlee et al. And while both of those leaders would have been less than pleased with Blairism, and the modern day Right of the Labour party, they wouldn't have been impressed by a bunch of Hard Left idiots whose contribution to the Labour movement is attending pointless protests/demos and being on twitter all day. The likes of Stella Creasy meanwhile, have genuinely tried to help working people in this country. The fact that someone like Stella Creasy is isolated in the PLP (which is, as the NS article stated one of the main reasons why the Hard Left are going after her - they see her as an easy target) shows how badly Labour have lost touch with their values. And why they won't be winning a GE anytime soon.

But it's no good those MPs kicking up a fuss about Corbyn. They need to plan to replace him or not. I'm sick of this meaningless cowering about him by the PLP. At this stage the unions can also go and do one. They can set up their own party, and watch that flop. After their involvement in the last two leadership elections, I'd actually laugh at their failure.

That is a seriously good post.
  • Options
    I wish Corbyn would chuck it in. The Labour party under him is impossible to support.

FPT:

Stella Creasy is not 'out to left' of the Labour party, FGS. I'm not surprised to hear that she's been targetted. There is indeed an underlying sexism in the Hard Left's attacks on Creasy. This is the stupidity of the Hard Left. These people believe they represent the values of Keir Hardie, Clement Attlee et al. And while both of those leaders would have been less than pleased with Blairism, and the modern day Right of the Labour party, they wouldn't have been impressed by a bunch of Hard Left idiots whose contribution to the Labour movement is attending pointless protests/demos and being on twitter all day. The likes of Stella Creasy meanwhile, have genuinely tried to help working people in this country. The fact that someone like Stella Creasy is isolated in the PLP (which is, as the NS article stated one of the main reasons why the Hard Left are going after her - they see her as an easy target) shows how badly Labour have lost touch with their values. And why they won't be winning a GE anytime soon.

But it's no good those MPs kicking up a fuss about Corbyn. They need to plan to replace him or not. I'm sick of this meaningless cowering about him by the PLP. At this stage the unions can also go and do one. They can set up their own party, and watch that flop. After their involvement in the last two leadership elections, I'd actually laugh at their failure.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''It has since the back benches joined in - Cameron was underwhelming and Corbyn was dire (tho in fairness Robertson did well) - for some reason Labour MPs want to give 'Terrorist sympathisers' more airtime.....''

Is there a single MP in the house who is voting against bombing primarily because they sympathise with ISIS?

That is the question raised by Cameron's comments, it seems to me.

It seems to me that Cameron's comments last night were obviously aimed at IRA sympathising McDonnell etc and not at the wider opposition to action in Syria.

In fact it's so obviously what was meant that people conflating it with the no to bombing side of the debate are the ones being dishonest/dishonourable.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I wish Corbyn would chuck it in. The Labour party under him is impossible to support.

FPT:

Stella Creasy is an odd one. I've always quite liked her (despite her occasional lapse into irritating sanctimony) and have always thought she was vaguely Leftish, but better-informed people inform me she is apparently considered a "Blairite" in the Westminster bubble.

Her campaign against payday loans was certainly more than most Labour MPs achieved in the last Parliament, and I would've thought most of the more hardcore Blairites (Kendall et al) would've considered that to be "anti-business" or some nonsense.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

FPT

Indeed it is.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''It seems to me that Cameron's comments last night were obviously aimed at IRA sympathising McDonnell etc and not at the wider opposition to action in Syria.''

True. But if even a single MP voted against bombing primarily because they sympathised with ISIS, that is pretty serious stuff.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548

I think that all Lib Dem MPs are going to support him. John Pugh would be the most likely rebel but it seems he is on board. There is plenty of activist angst though - this is very unpopular in the grassroots.

The debate, at least the little I'm following, seems to be a facile binary do we or don't we? In my view the core of the debate should be if we intervene, why are airstrikes better than boots on the ground, no fly zones, attacking Assad simultaneously, insisting on UN peacekeepers etc. Count me unpersuaded if the debate doesn't get further than saying ISIL are really bad and you clearly don't believe that if you don't supoprt the PM.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I have to admit I'm worried about some of the Lab MPs who are supporting the airstrikes. Pretty much all the candidates for a sensible Lab leader before 2020 (Benn, Johnson, Cooper) seem to be supporting it, but I fear this will prove to be a red-line for even many moderate Labour members.

(Though speaking personally, even as someone against these airstrikes, I wouldn't hold this against a potential leader as long as I was persuaded they genuinely thought it was the right thing to do, rather than that they were doing it just to "make a point" about Corbyn.)

Would you be in favour of bombing IS if London, and not Paris was attacked ?
  • Options
    David Davis speech not so impressive.
  • Options
    Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

Four and a half hours into debate. Only one SNP called in debate so far. Lots of Tories and BOTH Labour parties. @EastLothianSNP
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I won't lie, if Britain was attacked then my gut/emotional reaction probably would be that we have to "do something". Hell, that was even my initial reaction a bit immediately after Paris.

But the more I think about it, the more I don't see how this will achieve anything to actually help defeat ISIL, other than that immediate gratification that we're "doing something". As (I think) Foxinsox said earlier, this feels rather like whacking a hornets' nest a few times, before running away after we've got them all angry.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

That's a very sensible approach. I'm not sure how widely your view is likely to be shared though. The idea of honest disagreement seems to have vanished, as if merely having a different view is somehow illegitimate.

The next leader of the Labour party needs to be someone who is prepared to make the arguments to the membership and try and persuade them and change their minds and get them to follow him or her. Only someone like that will have the ability to do the same to the country and to Parliament. And of course if you want to persuade people you need to have something you want to say. The biggest problem for the moderates is that they don't, yet, have anything they want to say, anything they really want to say. Talk of likely individuals based on their characteristics (a la Jarvis etc) seems to me to be putting the cart before the horse.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I think that all Lib Dem MPs are going to support him. John Pugh would be the most likely rebel but it seems he is on board. There is plenty of activist angst though - this is very unpopular in the grassroots.

The debate, at least the little I'm following, seems to be a facile binary do we or don't we? In my view the core of the debate should be if we intervene, why are airstrikes better than boots on the ground, no fly zones, attacking Assad simultaneously, insisting on UN peacekeepers etc. Count me unpersuaded if the debate doesn't get further than saying ISIL are really bad and you clearly don't believe that if you don't supoprt the PM.
    At the end of the day the MPs do face a binary choice though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

Four and a half hours into debate. Only one SNP called in debate so far. Lots of Tories and BOTH Labour parties. @EastLothianSNP

SNP speak with one voice, why should we hear more?
  • Options
    @AnneJGP Thanks :)
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

Stella Creasy is an odd one. I've always quite liked her (despite her occasional lapse into irritating sanctimony) and have always thought she was vaguely Leftish, but better-informed people inform me she is apparently considered a "Blairite" in the Westminster bubble.
    I think anyone that isn't a Corbynite, or a 'Brownite' is labelled as 'Blairite' by the Westminster Village, and the Left in general tbh. I think Stella is definitely on the 'right' on the Labour party, but being on the 'right' of the Labour party - especially post Blair - doesn't mean you are a 'Blairite'. I'm probably more closer to the Right, than the Left of the party these days, but I'd never consider myself a Blairite. Especially given the fact that Blair has become so progressively right-wing since 2003, you have to wonder where his place in the Labour party would be (with or without Corbyn). I think Stella is seen as Left-wing by some, because of her views on social issues. She's certainly not socially conservative, and I think any kind of venture into identity politics is seen as a sign of someone very left-wing.
  • Options

The Fink is brilliant today - Galloway is right, Jezza isn't being left-wing enough to keep his activists happy and will never please the PLP.

Oh, and that Wedgie was right too - deselections are necessary if you want to retain power, whilst not whipping and having ShCab collective responsibility...it's the only way to make it work.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4629477.ece

Fink suggests Corbyn should reshuffle his shadow cabinet replacing Benn in the process. Well yes, there is an internal logic to that but I wonder what others would then do, the chief whip for instance.
    Corbyn was of course a deciple of Benn senior and Hilary must have had a good long vidw of him.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

The colossal gasbag is on his feet now
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I won't lie, if Britain was attacked then my gut/emotional reaction probably would be that we have to "do something". Hell, that was even my initial reaction a bit immediately after Paris.

But the more I think about it, the more I don't see how this will achieve anything to actually help defeat ISIL, other than that immediate gratification that we're "doing something". As (I think) Foxinsox said earlier, this feels rather like whacking a hornets' nest a few times, before running away after we've got them all angry.
    Which is why we have to follow up the air strikes with ground forces. It may not be a very popular thing to say right now, but at some point British and American troops are going to have to land in Syria and fight alongside Russian and Iranian troops to defeat ISIS. Once they are defeated we will have to keep the peace while a new government including Assad and some opposition members is formed and slowly hand over the territory to the new national government. It is not a small undertaking, but it needs to be done. The poison of ISIS must be defeated both in military and ideological terms.
  • Options
    @ScottyNational: Advent: Concerns grow that Alex Salmond may not be seen for 25 days as he recieves an advent calendar containing 25 mini Salmond portraits
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

Presumably Andy Burnham is going to get called twice.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Tom said:

Foot looked strange but had a distinguished career as a writer and journalist before entering parliament and was a very bright man. Corbyn is a dullard who thinks that his banal views are profound.
    It may have seemed I was making a flippant point (easy, because that's my usual style) but actually, although my politics were polar opposites, I held Michael Foot in quite high regard. His politics had an intellectual coherence that is rare today.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 18m18 minutes ago
    The spin drier on maximum from all sides: as soon as I'd said 50ish, a more leadership loyal source says 70-80 Labour MPs will vote Yes
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Cyclefree said:

AnneJGP said:

FPT

Indeed it is.

Agreed.

If Creasy were deselected, and if Labour doesn't split, I wonder if she'd stand for the Women's Equality Party.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

The colossal gasbag is on his feet now
    And spouting lies from the outset
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Here comes Big Al Salmond. He says we won't make a difference so why should we bother. It's almost as if he doesn't like the idea of an RAF in the first place.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    AndyJS said:

Heavy rain forecast for Oldham tomorrow between 4pm and 9pm, the time when Labour voters traditionally go to the polling stations (although I don't whether that's still true these days):

That weather forecast looks to favour the tories, tbh.

350/1...........
  • Options
    Am not watching, but I take it Salmond is sticking to the substance of Syria and not trying to score political points over Labour ?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

Presumably Andy Burnham is going to get called twice.
    You sir, owe me a new keyboard...
  • Options
    Pong said:

AndyJS said:

350/1...........
    220 now. £17 available.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I see the laughing/laughable postman is being talked up again, Desperate really.
  • Options

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 18m18 minutes ago
    The spin drier on maximum from all sides: as soon as I'd said 50ish, a more leadership loyal source says 70-80 Labour MPs will vote Yes

So probably about 40-50 from Labour then. Government will be home and dry.
  • Options
    Is it true that Corbyn only got his safe seat, because another Labour MP jumped before he was deselected back in 1982? The Fink mentioned it in his article linked upthread.
  • Options
    Pong said:

AndyJS said:

350/1...........
    Matched bets
    Back (Bet For)
    Odds
    Stake
    Profit

Conservative 259.95 £2.00 £498.00

#Hadsomeredtocoverthereanyway
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Afternoon all :)

I've not followed the debate as it's not quite pantomime season yet. I did manage to catch up with the Prime Minister's "12 points" - if Wilsonian, more Harold than Woodrow in truth.

"Supporting our armed forces" for example is a platitude - it may be a snide dig at Labour's current leadership but as with his cheap jibe about "terrorist sympathisers", the truth is it's perfectly possible to support the armed forces, be concerned about national security and not be a Conservative.

Where Cameron has moved significantly is to acknowledge the linkage of military action to a) legitimacy via the UN resolution, b) the priority to find a comprehensive political settlement in Syria (and Iraq as well) and c) the humanitarian catastrophe that is the Syrian Diaspora. That renewed emphasis on the non-military was enough to win over the likes of Farron and others and just about convinces me.

It was the three prongs of defence, Europe and internal party selection which triggered the Labour schism in 1981 - I do feel the possibility of a similar schism in the next 24 months has increased in the past week. The emergence of a coherent non-socialist party of the centre or centre-left would be the ultimate nightmare for the Conservatives but we are a long way from that today.

Cameron will have his victory today and it might be by as many as 150 or more but it's not just a mandate for military action - it's a mandate for diplomatic and humanitarian action and while that isn't what Sky and other media outlets are interested in with their obsession with boys' toys, they are vital aspects for the future and it is the progress in these areas to which the Prime Minister should be held to account.
  • Options
    Why does Salmond think we can take down the websites of the Daesh, yet there's nothing he can do about the Cybernats..?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But our friends have asked. And they are waiting.

Lucky they didn't ask the Auld Alliance...

@theSNP: .@AngusRobertson "In normal circumstances we would not be involved" #SyriaVote https://t.co/BtBSZbBERP
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The hornets are already angry, and plan to sting us to death. They also threaten to sting our friends and neighbours to death.

Some of these friends have got hold of a blanket and want to throw it over the nest. It's not ideal, it won't get rid of all hornets, it's risky, some will get stung, but it might subdue the nest or even kill it off. And no one has a better idea, right now.

For it to work, its best if several people take hold of different corners of the blanket - and we all throw it together. Our friends have explicitly asked us to help throw the blanket, they want us to do our bit. We're not vital, though we do bring some blanket throwing skill. We could hide in the corner of the garden and let them take all the risk, instead.

Nails and heads come to mind.

Very well put.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I worry that we don't have a carefully thought out strategy beyond joining in the bombing which may be helpful but is not enough to defeat IS in the way it needs to be defeated.

If all we do is a bit of bombing and nothing else happens what use will it be? What then?

Still, sometimes the choices are unenviable ones and a decision has to be made.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Sandpit said:

Pong said:

AndyJS said:

350/1...........
    220 now. £17 available.
    lol.

It would be hilarious if they did win. More realistically, it'll probably just add 1-2% to the tory vote share.

Shadsy's 5/6 on over 12.5% looks alright.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For it to work, its best if several people take hold of different corners of the blanket - and we all throw it together. Our friends have explicitly asked us to help throw the blanket, they want us to do our bit. We're not vital, though we do bring some blanket throwing skill. We could hide in the corner of the garden and let them take all the risk, instead.

"some blanket throwing skill"? For shame, we have the best blanket throwers in the world and I know we are all proud of the vital work they do in keeping us safe.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Taking part in a coordinated effort, for the first time, between NATO forces and Russia, to tackle a real threat to our security provides a historic opportunity to fix the fault lines that were left after the Cold War and bring Russia back into the family of European nations. That prize alone is so compelling that whatever the merits of the current strategy against IS, we should not stand aside and leave it to our allies.
  • Options

SeanT said:

"some blanket throwing skill"? For shame, we have the best blanket throwers in the world and I know we are all proud of the vital work they do in keeping us safe.
    Our blanket is a bit old and tatty though. :/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

The hornets are already angry, and plan to sting us to death. They also threaten to sting our friends and neighbours to death.

Some of these friends have got hold of a blanket and want to throw it over the nest. It's not ideal, it won't get rid of all hornets, it's risky, some will get stung, but it might subdue the nest or even kill it off. And no one has a better idea, right now.

Perhaps our 'friends' shouldn't have been the prime movers in an attempt to remove a Government by means of chucking weapons at anyone in the vicinity with a grudge and a beard. Leading directly to the attack on them.

• Options
    Dan Jarvis in favour, starting with a dig at the leadership.
  • Options
    SEMOD supports the bill
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Very true. You could make good money as a writer :-)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tpfkar said:

At the end of the day the MPs do face a binary choice though.
    Only because the PM, who has allegedly tried to build a consensus, has made it so.
    Were there an amendment to vote for, say to degrade all military facilities in Syria to cripple all sides into having to seek a way out, I'd have been minded to support (and I think the Commons made a huge mistake in not supporting action in 2013.) But however awful ISIS are, throwing bombs around will just make Assad's life that little bit easier - and there's no viable strategy on the table for dealing with him or his awful regime.
  • Options
    Has Cameron left the chamber since this started? I think it speaks volumes that he is still on the Front Bench four hours in.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Perhaps our 'friends' shouldn't have been the prime movers in an attempt to remove a Government by means of chucking weapons at anyone in the vicinity with a grudge and a beard. Leading directly to the attack on them.

Labours last intervention in this was to prevent us and thus in effect america from helping the sane opponents to Assad and thus allowing isis to defeat them
  • Options

Is it true that Corbyn only got his safe seat, because another Labour MP jumped before he was deselected back in 1982? The Fink mentioned it in his article linked upthread.

Yes, the Islington North contest in 1983 featured two sitting MPs as well as Corbyn. Islington Central MP John Grant stood for the SDP, and Islington North MP Michael O'Halloran was an Ind Lab candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islington_North_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1980s
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Caveat emptor, but still

"I was told last week that Corbyn is wilting under the burden of leadership – that he is miserable, struggling with the strain of managing his colleagues and would happily chuck it in."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3338907/Too-scared-oust-Corbyn-Labour-s-moderates-party-mortal-peril.html#ixzz3tBA23iUi
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Managing the PLP at the moment would grind anyone down.

No manager would survive in ordinary practice.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Well written. But if you had a pressure hose to hand, would you still hold your corner of the blanket?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

I worry that we don't have a carefully thought out strategy beyond joining in the bombing which may be helpful but is not enough to defeat IS in the way it needs to be defeated.

If all we do is a bit of bombing and nothing else happens what use will it be? What then?

Still, sometimes the choices are unenviable ones and a decision has to be made.

'we' as in the UK are just one part of a bombing campaign. I hear zero suggestions about hpw to deal with isis.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Our blanket is a bit old and tatty though. :/
    Not true, our blanket was extensively refurbished and we bought some very nice cushions to go with it. Other than the USA nobody has a better blanket.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Well when you compare him to Corbyn, Johnson looks like a computer enhanced Abraham Lincoln.'

Just cast your mind back to how utterly hapless he was in his brief period of shadow chancellor. Corbyn is toxic, but the postman is just an amiable (and past it) joker.

It really shows how completely bereft of talent Labour are that people are getting excited about Johnson.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'Well when you compare him to Corbyn, Johnson looks like a computer enhanced Abraham Lincoln.'

Just cast your mind back to how utterly hapless he was in his brief period of shadow chancellor. Corbyn is toxic, but the postman is just an amiable (and past it) joker.

It really shows how completely bereft of talent Labour are that people are getting excited about Johnson.

They would be well advised to look to Margaret Beckett to act as an interim leader.
  • Options
    Margaret Beckett on BBC News Channel talking about abuse. Abuse received by Labour MPs from activists.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    Pulpstar said:

Arf.

George Kerevan
    @GeorgeKerevan

The SNP speaks with one voice. Heard one, heard them all.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    The ComRes chap in the article says: Will bombing #ISIS make a UK terror attack more likely? Most Brits think not #Syriavote

To me, the questions posed are, erm, less than optimal. The fact is that we are already bombing ISIS and the vote is to bomb them a bit more.

The vote, to me, is only about doing our job better. Our card is already marked. Arguing against it on the basis of potential retaliation rather misses the point that the revenge boat sailed some time ago.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Labours last intervention in this was to prevent us and thus in effect america from helping the sane opponents to Assad and thus allowing isis to defeat them
    As you well know, Assad's forces are and were offering the only serious opposition to ISIS, and bombing them (as a form of 'punishment' as it was presented) would have presented a great boon to ISIS.

• Options

O'Halloran was among the Labour MPs who defected to the new Social Democratic Party (SDP) in 1981. However, in 1983, the SDP chose John Grant, the MP for Islington Central (which was being abolished in boundary changes), to be its candidate in Islington North. O'Halloran left the SDP to stand as an independent Labour candidate in the 1983 general election. The official Labour candidate Jeremy Corbyn won while O'Halloran came in fourth with 11% of the vote. Grant came third with 22% of the vote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O'Halloran_(UK_politician)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

Margaret Beckett on BBC News Channel talking about abuse. Abuse received by Labour MPs from activists.

Kinder gentler politics. No bullying in the Labour party, everybody is a left wing pacifist now.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I've not followed the debate as it's not quite pantomime season yet. I did manage to catch up with the Prime Minister's "12 points" - if Wilsonian, more Harold than Woodrow in truth.

"Supporting our armed forces" for example is a platitude - it may be a snide dig at Labour's current leadership but as with his cheap jibe about "terrorist sympathisers", the truth is it's perfectly possible to support the armed forces, be concerned about national security and not be a Conservative.

Where Cameron has moved significantly is to acknowledge the linkage of military action to a) legitimacy via the UN resolution, b) the priority to find a comprehensive political settlement in Syria (and Iraq as well) and c) the humanitarian catastrophe that is the Syrian Diaspora. That renewed emphasis on the non-military was enough to win over the likes of Farron and others and just about convinces me.

It was the three prongs of defence, Europe and internal party selection which triggered the Labour schism in 1981 - I do feel the possibility of a similar schism in the next 24 months has increased in the past week. The emergence of a coherent non-socialist party of the centre or centre-left would be the ultimate nightmare for the Conservatives but we are a long way from that today.

Cameron will have his victory today and it might be by as many as 150 or more but it's not just a mandate for military action - it's a mandate for diplomatic and humanitarian action and while that isn't what Sky and other media outlets are interested in with their obsession with boys' toys, they are vital aspects for the future and it is the progress in these areas to which the Prime Minister should be held to account.

Good post.

It is of course true that "it's perfectly possible to support the armed forces, be concerned about national security and not be a Conservative."

Unfortunately, the Labour party which Corbyn is seeking to remake in his image does not appear to be such a party. That is why the "terrorist sympathiser" jibe - low blow it may have been - was so effective.

Contrast how Corbyn has behaved with how Michael Foot behaved over the Falklands. That's how a real genuine patriotic Left-wing Labour leader behaves.

• Options
    McFadden talking sense.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

AndyJS said:

350/1...........
    220 now. £17 available.
    lol.

It would be hilarious if they did win. More realistically, it'll probably just add 1-2% to the tory vote share.

Shadsy's 5/6 on over 12.5% looks alright.
    I'm on at something close to '1000/3' for that money.
    Not expecting it to win, but would be quite hilarious for a sitting government to take a huge majority from the opposition.

More likely the UKIP win, am on that at the old 8/1 and on Labour at today's 7/2.
    Big green book :-)
  • Options
    Russia presents 'evidence' of Turkey fencing ISIS' oil. Erdogan has claimed he will resign if this is proven - this is the Russian's presentation of that proof. (Video of press briefing)

https://www.rt.com/news/324263-russia-briefing-isis-funding/

• Options

SeanT said:

Caveat emptor, but still

"I was told last week that Corbyn is wilting under the burden of leadership – that he is miserable, struggling with the strain of managing his colleagues and would happily chuck it in."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3338907/Too-scared-oust-Corbyn-Labour-s-moderates-party-mortal-peril.html#ixzz3tBA23iUi
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Managing the PLP at the moment would grind anyone down.

No manager would survive in ordinary practice.
    Corbyn = Mourinho?
This discussion has been closed.