Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rose might front Remain but he won’t lead it

124»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

All a bit grumpy on here this morning however, I have news to cheer.

If you are drinking a blend the Co-Op's own label scotch is perfectly drinkable. Comfortably acceptable, especially with a mixer, with more famous household names and yet it retails for just £12.99 as opposed the £17 or thereabouts (unless on special offer) of Bells, Grouse, et al..

There , isn't that good news? Don't rush to thank me.

That is very good news for drinkers of scotch. Sadly, they don't include me. Can't stand the stuff - or spirits generally. Champagne, on the other hand........

Not surprising - it's bottled at around 40% abv, so it's going to taste and smell like a spirity punch in the face at first. It's when you drink it a lot and get used to it that you don't notice that any more and you begin to discern all the other wonderful aromas and tastes, the caramels, spices, dried fruit, tinned peaches etc. etc. Attend a comparative whisky tasting if you get a chance.
    I don't doubt you. I have tried. No good I'm afraid. I don't drink much alcohol generally, tbh. The same with olives, bizarrely (for an Italian, I mean) and honey. Cannot bear the taste or smell. Olive oil is fine though.

On the other hand, I love offal and delicacies such as calves' brains. Make of that what you will.

Ha! Well you have me beat on the offal front - love it all ground up with oats in haggis, but anything more organ looking (and tasting) isn't for me. Perhaps memories of being forced to eat liver at school. :(
    School liver is pretty vile, I grant you.

But calves liver - beautifully cooked - is a wonder. It's one of those dishes I try to eat in a good restaurant, if it's on offer.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,549
    Cyclefree said:

I still can't face reading the whole article, it makes me flinch - but I've just noticed how many times it's been shared directly from the DT website 14k - I've never seen another get that sort of message spreading. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html

And the British Government wasn’t in talks with the IRA at the time? Covertly, of course.
    They may well have been. What they weren't doing was cheering at the killing of innocents like Roberta Wakeham, wife of the MP or Muriel McLean, wife of the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives, nor at the maiming of Mrs Tebbit, who suffers to this day and whose husband has had to watch the suffering of his beloved wife and care for her.

That is what this paper and those who wrote for it were doing. Corbyn was on the editorial board and takes responsibility for the editorial line taken by the publication. If you have a position of responsibility at the top of an organisation, you take responsibility - if you are a grown up with a sense of responsibility, that is - for what it does. If you don't like it or disagree with it, you argue your corner and in the last analysis you resign if there is a disagreement with which you cannot live.

And that is why Corbyn is being criticised. He wants the freedom to say what he thinks. He wants the kudos from being thought of as someone who says what he thinks, no matter how unpalatable. And when people bring up his past actions he - and his supporters - moan like babies that he should not be held responsible for what he has said and done in the past, even though that is the alpha and omega of his appeal. It's both pathetic and morally repulsive.
    If anything you understate how repulsive his behaviour was. Labour should be deeply ashamed they let him stay in the party, let alone become leader of it. A truly odious man.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685
    MikeK said:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/11/report-no-treaty-change-free-movement-stays-in-governments-demands-for-eu/

After months of waiting, the British government has finally revealed its main demands in its attempt to renegotiate the country’s European Union (EU) membership, and eurosceptics are unlikely to be happy.

The Sunday Telegraph states that the government has four key requirements. They are:

An “explicit statement” that Britain will not be part of a European superstate.

An “explicit statement” that the currencies other than the euro are welcome in the EU, and that the euro is not its official currency.

A “red card” system that would give groups of national parliaments the right to repeal existing EU law.

A “new structure” for the EU to prevent the nine non-eurozone members from being dominated by the others.

Tory and Foreign Office officials believe this list is the best deal they can likely achieve, however many will be disappointed.

But Cammo will not negotiate on free movement, so the migrants will still arrive in SWARMS. How marvelous!

Good LORD. I mean really? REALLY?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited October 2015
    Calves liver is Yummy. I always order it.

Tough overcooked liver however...
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

If you are drinking a blend the Co-Op's own label scotch is perfectly drinkable. Comfortably acceptable, especially with a mixer, with more famous household names and yet it retails for just £12.99 as opposed the £17 or thereabouts (unless on special offer) of Bells, Grouse, et al..

That is very good news for drinkers of scotch. Sadly, they don't include me. Can't stand the stuff - or spirits generally. Champagne, on the other hand........

Not surprising - it's bottled at around 40% abv, so it's going to taste and smell like a spirity punch in the face at first. It's when you drink it a lot and get used to it that you don't notice that any more and you begin to discern all the other wonderful aromas and tastes, the caramels, spices, dried fruit, tinned peaches etc. etc. Attend a comparative whisky tasting if you get a chance.
    I don't doubt you. I have tried. No good I'm afraid. I don't drink much alcohol generally, tbh. The same with olives, bizarrely (for an Italian, I mean) and honey. Cannot bear the taste or smell. Olive oil is fine though.

On the other hand, I love offal and delicacies such as calves' brains. Make of that what you will.

Ha! Well you have me beat on the offal front - love it all ground up with oats in haggis, but anything more organ looking (and tasting) isn't for me. Perhaps memories of being forced to eat liver at school. :(

But calves liver - beautifully cooked - is a wonder. It's one of those dishes I try to eat in a good restaurant, if it's on offer.

• Options

Bells is an abomination.. used only for washing ones bicycle wheels when they are muddy..

No one notices in coke......
    This will appall you purists, but some people do like to mix single malts with other things - Laphroaig and Coke (smoke and coke it's called) for example! Works quite well!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I still can't face reading the whole article, it makes me flinch - but I've just noticed how many times it's been shared directly from the DT website 14k - I've never seen another get that sort of message spreading. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html

And the British Government wasn’t in talks with the IRA at the time? Covertly, of course.
    They may well have been. What they weren't doing was cheering at the killing of innocents like Roberta Wakeham, wife of the MP or Muriel McLean, wife of the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives, nor at the maiming of Mrs Tebbit, who suffers to this day and whose husband has had to watch the suffering of his beloved wife and care for her.

That is what this paper and those who wrote for it were doing. Corbyn was on the editorial board and takes responsibility for the editorial line taken by the publication. If you have a position of responsibility at the top of an organisation, you take responsibility - if you are a grown up with a sense of responsibility, that is - for what it does. If you don't like it or disagree with it, you argue your corner and in the last analysis you resign if there is a disagreement with which you cannot live.

And that is why Corbyn is being criticised. He wants the freedom to say what he thinks. He wants the kudos from being thought of as someone who says what he thinks, no matter how unpalatable. And when people bring up his past actions he - and his supporters - moan like babies that he should not be held responsible for what he has said and done in the past, even though that is the alpha and omega of his appeal. It's both pathetic and morally repulsive.
    If anything you understate how repulsive his behaviour was. Labour should be deeply ashamed they let him stay in the party, let alone become leader of it. A truly odious man.
    Indeed. And those who justify and excuse him now should be equally ashamed.

But now the sun is shining, it is not yet freezing and the roses and dahlias need deadheading.

A piu tardi.....

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Hah.
    Rabid outers on here moan that negotiations are not worth anything since we will be QMV'd out of it, yet you say the EEA is fine for everything... Oh except they have no votes. A say without a vote is not worth a bucket of spit.

You ignore all reality because it suits your infantile ignorant prejudice. The EEA may well suit us, but nobody pretend it will be any different of magically better. And the likes of everyone currently employed on our car industry had better hope we would still protect our inward investment success.

And again. The man who lies consistently about the EU and EEA has a rant because he doesn't like it when he is called out and when his lies are countered with actual facts and quotes.

Perhaps your worthless dribbling reflects the fact that you really are too dumb to understand these issues.
    Repeating that you are upset as well as ignorant is hardly adding anything.
    Fact .. EEA countries are part of single market.
    Fact ... EEA countries have no votes on any final EU legislation.
    Fact ... the UK would need to be in the EEA and part of single market if it left the EU.

And to have to tiresomly repeat.... A say in legislation is not worth a bucket of spit if it does not come with a vote.
    But the EEA may be best for us if we can get good terms. But lets not be fooled into thinking being out of the EU is going to be much different from being in it - especially after any negotiations are complete.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MikeK..if we cannot control the borders then we should automatically leave .. regardless of other concessions..
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I'll give it another go when I next get the chance. It is meant to be extremely good for you - massai tribeswomen used to chew it up and give it to weaning babies.
  • Options
    Had some pigeon at Fonab Castle Hotel on Friday (celebrating 30th wedding anniversary). Pigeon can sometimes taste like liver but this was divine. Just amazingly good, even better than the lamb for the main course.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Herself cooks a beautiful Liver and Bacon with lambs liver (her mother's recipe) but I am not allowed to have it more than once a month or so - ever since she read an article that too much offal causes death by an excess of vitamin A. However, ever since we have been married she has done poached lambs liver for the cats once a week - as her mother did for her cats.

When I was a teenager my father told me that if I was thinking about getting serious about a girl I should have a "Bloody good look at her mother because, chances are, that is how she will turn out". Wise bloke was my dad- Herself gets more like her mother every year.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875

Bells is an abomination.. used only for washing ones bicycle wheels when they are muddy..

This will appall you purists, but some people do like to mix single malts with other things - Laphroaig and Coke (smoke and coke it's called) for example! Works quite well!

Pass the smelling salts!

Actually....the Bells will do!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773

yes a couple of lines and no-ne notices the whisky
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    DavidL said:

Had some pigeon at Fonab Castle Hotel on Friday (celebrating 30th wedding anniversary). Pigeon can sometimes taste like liver but this was divine. Just amazingly good, even better than the lamb for the main course.

Only had pigeon the once - disappointed. I love venison, given how many deer we have - I'm amazed at how little we eat of it.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Bells - urgh. Though Red Square vodka is like petrol, and Absolut isn't much better - nothing will make me drink those again.

I don't drink gin at all, but somehow bought a bottle of Gordon's with Elderflower. I've had it almost a year and still can't break the seal. I love elderflower wine and cordial - it's the gin bit I've gone all lala over.

Pass the smelling salts!

• Options
    Racing pigeons are the very best..fed on the finest and well looked after.. until they don't fly as fast as they once did..
  • Options
    edited October 2015

When I was a teenager my father told me that if I was thinking about getting serious about a girl I should have a "Bloody good look at her mother because, chances are, that is how she will turn out". Wise bloke was my dad- Herself gets more like her mother every year.

Hmm.... I like my mother in law who is a genuinely decent person and was absolutely devoted to her husband when he suffered from Alzheimer's but I am somewhat relieved to say that my better half is far more easy going and flexible than her. Hence the 30th anniversary.
  • Options
    Plato..don't forget the Sloe Gin.. for those cold wintry walks ..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Must be one of the few PBers that doesn't eat offal or drink spirits... Feel like retching at the thought of either!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hmm.... I like my mother in law who is a genuinely decent person and was absolutely devoted to her husband when he suffered from Alzheimer's but I am somewhat relieved to say that my better half is far more easy going and flexible than her. Hence the 30th anniversary.

I have my 30th anniversary next year.

The other half is now showing the early signs of Hermotheritis, fortunately I have an accompanying outbreak of Yourdad, where his gift of selective hearing is a major plus.

40th here we come :-)
  • Options

DavidL said:

Only had pigeon the once - disappointed. I love venison, given how many deer we have - I'm amazed at how little we eat of it.
    It needs a fair bit of work for roasting. It is a dry meat, not fatty at all, which means it really needs marinating for some time before cooking. Also it is only really nice when you cook a decent sized piece, smaller pieces dry out.

I think it makes a better stew myself.
  • Options
    Isam..Offal is disgusting..but there is not a spirit I do not like..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Congrats on the 30th anniversary, Mr. L. We did ours some years ago, or rather we didn't because we both forgot. Growing old can be good fun.
  • Options

Isam..Offal is disgusting..but there is not a spirit I do not like..

Reminds me of the Dennis Pennis joke

'I'm staying at the hotel next to the abbatoir, and the view is just offal'
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2015
    If you don’t drink Gin and have a bottle sitting in the cupboard, then try making Sloe Gin. Now is the perfect time to rummage through the hedgerows looking for Blackthorn bushes and should be ready in time for Christmas. – I’ve got 2ltrs on the go which I started preparing last month.

http://www.plantingplanner.com/blog/tag/sloe-gin/

Bells - urgh. Though Red Square vodka is like petrol, and Absolut isn't much better - nothing will make me drink those again.

I don't drink gin at all, but somehow bought a bottle of Gordon's with Elderflower. I've had it almost a year and still can't break the seal. I love elderflower wine and cordial - it's the gin bit I've gone all lala over.

Pass the smelling salts!

• Options

DavidL said:

The other half is now showing the early signs of Hermotheritis, fortunately I have an accompanying outbreak of Yourdad, where his gift of selective hearing is a major plus.

We all need to find our ways through life and sharing a house with the same person for 30 years+ takes a lot of give and take. I am fortunate indeed my better half is remarkably tolerate.
  • Options

Plato..don't forget the Sloe Gin.. for those cold wintry walks ..

Quite so, Mr. Dodd, but how many gentlemen carry a spirit flask these days?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Appalled, almost as bad as using Laphroaig in cranachanr.

It could be put to better use in a fruit cake, or poured into a glass and drunk on its own or with some water.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Thanx, so blackthorn does have an upside - its a nightmare for tractor mower tyres.

If you don’t drink Gin and have a bottle sitting in the cupboard, then try making Sloe Gin. Now is the perfect time to rummage through the hedgerows looking for Blackthorn bushes and should be ready in time for Christmas. – I’ve got 2ltrs on the go which I started last preparing month.

http://www.plantingplanner.com/blog/tag/sloe-gin/

Pass the smelling salts!

• Options
    David L..For racing pigeons you need about ten for four diners..they are quite small birds..best roasted in a large tray
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Hah.
    Rabid outers on here moan that negotiations are not worth anything since we will be QMV'd out of it, yet you say the EEA is fine for everything... Oh except they have no votes. A say without a vote is not worth a bucket of spit.

You ignore all reality because it suits your infantile ignorant prejudice. The EEA may well suit us, but nobody pretend it will be any different of magically better. And the likes of everyone currently employed on our car industry had better hope we would still protect our inward investment success.

And again. The man who lies consistently about the EU and EEA has a rant because he doesn't like it when he is called out and when his lies are countered with actual facts and quotes.

Perhaps your worthless dribbling reflects the fact that you really are too dumb to understand these issues.
    Fact ... the UK would need to be in the EEA and part of single market if it left the EU.

And to have to tiresomly repeat.... A say in legislation is not worth a bucket of spit if it does not come with a vote.
    But the EEA may be best for us if we can get good terms. But lets not be fooled into thinking being out of the EU is going to be much different from being in it - especially after any negotiations are complete.
    It's a bug bear of mind when people use the word "fact" in front of a sentence as if it's a children's health program for schools in the 1980s. Doubly so when they use the word in front of something that's actually an opinion.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Plent of tweets implying that ISIS leader in Iraq has been straffed and killed.
  • Options
    Hurst Llama...quite..but I do have several which are routinely used..so does my wife..
  • Options
    edited October 2015

DavidL said:

IN RESPONSE TO OTHERS:-

Selective hearing essential when the teenage years start.

And a spare bedroom for when the snoring becomes unbearable.

Mind you, I've only made it to 23 years so far......
  • Options
    I'm amazed at this drowning of a premium spirit with Coke. Urgh.

I see Americans ordering Jack and Coke and go WTF Are You Doing. If you're going to drown it - buy well spirits not top shelf - and get 3 drinks instead of 2 for the same price.
    dr_spyn said:

Appalled, almost as bad as using Laphroaig in cranachanr.

It could be put to better use in a fruit cake, or poured into a glass and drunk on its own or with some water.
  • Options

David L..For racing pigeons you need about ten for four diners..they are quite small birds..best roasted in a large tray

As I say I have often found them tasting like liver and with an overly firm texture but this was just superb. Cooked with some pickled raspberries and fresh blaeberries. Just wow.
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/11/report-no-treaty-change-free-movement-stays-in-governments-demands-for-eu/

After months of waiting, the British government has finally revealed its main demands in its attempt to renegotiate the country’s European Union (EU) membership, and eurosceptics are unlikely to be happy.

The Sunday Telegraph states that the government has four key requirements. They are:

An “explicit statement” that the currencies other than the euro are welcome in the EU, and that the euro is not its official currency.

A “red card” system that would give groups of national parliaments the right to repeal existing EU law.

A “new structure” for the EU to prevent the nine non-eurozone members from being dominated by the others.

Tory and Foreign Office officials believe this list is the best deal they can likely achieve, however many will be disappointed.

But Cammo will not negotiate on free movement, so the migrants will still arrive in SWARMS. How marvelous!

Given that a lot of other countries have had enough of free movement, it would surely be impossible for us to ask for concessions in that area?
    I still think that the government is trying to soften us up with false leaks. It is absurd that a credible renegotiation doesn't have something major they can say on immigration, so this can't possibly be the case. The first two points of the four point plan aren't even practical changes, for goodness' sake.

The last two are exactly the sort of reforms that are needed, however, but the devil will be in the detail. The red card system would depend entirely on how many parliaments are needed to repeal an EU law. The protection for the nine non-Eurozone countries would have to be protected against the Eurozone growing.
  • Options
    I'm ignoring all press stories about the negotiations - its all chess moves and grandstanding.
    JEO said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

Given that a lot of other countries have had enough of free movement, it would surely be impossible for us to ask for concessions in that area?
    I still think that the government is trying to soften us up with false leaks. It is absurd that a credible renegotiation doesn't have something major they can say on immigration, so this can't possibly be the case. The first two points of the four point plan aren't even practical changes, for goodness' sake.

The last two are exactly the sort of reforms that are needed, however, but the devil will be in the detail. The red card system would depend entirely on how many parliaments are needed to repeal an EU law. The protection for the nine non-Eurozone countries would have to be protected against the Eurozone growing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited October 2015
    Sloes are in the freezer to crack them - better than pricking every one.

Big fan of game. The Good Lady Wifi makes a fantastic version of shepherd's pie, using minced venison and duck. And her venison chilli is a thing of legend.... Especially the next day, when the flavours mature, served in a big Yorkshire pudding.
  • Options
    MM.. Do you take guests at your place..medium to long term..
  • Options
    I do a mean venison kebab, and ratatouille

Big fan of game. The Good LAdy Wifi makes a fantastic version of shepherd's pie, using minced venison and duck. And her venison chilli is a thing of legend.... Especially the next day, when the flavours mature, served in a big Yorkshire pudding.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Cyclefree said:

He wants the freedom to say what he thinks. He wants the kudos from being thought of as someone who says what he thinks, no matter how unpalatable. And when people bring up his past actions he - and his supporters - moan like babies that he should not be held responsible for what he has said and done in the past, even though that is the alpha and omega of his appeal.
    This is indeed the key for me as to whether dredging up past statements and opinions is fair or not. Most politicians will say they are reasonably consistent but they leave room for changing opinion, their views evolve and they may even make a virtue of that on some issues. Corbyn, however, sells himself as utterly consistent, remaining true through all these decades. That makes his past views more relevant than the average politician, and I think that is fair, because he has chosen to make those views more relevant.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,255
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

New Spain poll for November's election has Citizens with balance of power

PSOE 23.5%
    PP 23.4%
    Ciudadanos 21.5%
    Podemos 14.1%
    IU 5.6%
    https://twitter.com/YanniKouts

My metropolitan, professional, young-ish Spanish friends are all voting Citizens.

I would note that they are not a very representative bunch
    No but although Citizens are unlikely to win it does look like they will be the Kingmakers
  • Options

MM.. Do you take guests at your place..medium to long term..

I'll let you know when we are on airbnb!!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We all need to find our ways through life and sharing a house with the same person for 30 years+ takes a lot of give and take. I am fortunate indeed my better half is remarkably tolerate.

From memory you haven't yet made it to that blissful stage where all the kids have left home.

We hit that last year where Brooke Jnr our youngest headed off to Uni so we now have 6 months of the year when we have to talk to each other. It is quite fun as you suddenly have rediscover what the other half is like ( kids just take up all your time ) andneed to find common interests as well as a bit of personal space.

I just hope she doesn't suddenly decide she likes politics and blogging :-)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Herself cooks a beautiful Liver and Bacon with lambs liver (her mother's recipe) but I am not allowed to have it more than once a month or so - ever since she read an article that too much offal causes death by an excess of vitamin A. However, ever since we have been married she has done poached lambs liver for the cats once a week - as her mother did for her cats.

Mrs C's mother was an excellent cook ......
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

IN RESPONSE TO OTHERS:-

Selective hearing essential when the teenage years start.

And a spare bedroom for when the snoring becomes unbearable.

Mind you, I've only made it to 23 years so far......

Perhaps you should get your snoring looked at ;-)
  • Options
    Does anyone know more about the Switzerland immigration system? Apparently, they voted last year to restrict immigration from the EU. Is this now in force?

http://sputniknews.com/politics/20151009/1028264988/switzerland-suppress-eu-immigration-quotas.html
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited October 2015

So, is the advice to stay away from women whose mothers have passed? I never knew my M-i-L, marrying (relatively) late in life.

PS, Mrs T is also a very good cook - indeed, more chef than cook. She would not make liver and bacon, but I do. In a stew slow cooked with potatoes. Second best gravy (after kidney gravy). Why do Americans not eat offal?
  • Options
    "And a spare bedroom for when the snoring becomes unbearable."

I thought we were unusual in this respect but, like mental illness in the family, it has come more and more respectable to talk about it in recent years. At recent meeting of the Hurstpierpoint and District Gentlemen's Temperance Association it was found that not one member claimed to always sleep the marital bed when at home and the majority of members said they spent the majority of their nights in the spare room.

Whilst snoring may be the cause of the initial banishment, I strongly suspect that the majority of gentlemen have come to appreciate the freedom that their own bedroom grants them. They can read for as long as they want, listen to the world service (not as popular as it once was), watch TV, fart and snore to their hearts content. The ladies will have their own list of bonuses from the arrangement I am sure. Also if my household is anything to go by the cats and dogs appreciate the extra space/options for a cuddle two occupied bedrooms gie them.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272
    I don't know if anyone's been following the TPP saga, but Wikileaks has released the intellectual property chapter. (Full text here)

It is slightly disturbing the extent to which countries are being forced to tow the line on issues that seem totally unrelated to freeing up global trade. I'm not so bothered by the extension on copyright terms to death + 70 years (although that seems long), but I do object to the provisions on DRM. Essentially, in countries which sign the TPP, circumvention of DRM is to be made a criminal offence, even when there has been no breach of copyright. Furthermore, the US DMCA is effectively being extended to a bunch more countries, with ISPs being responsible for compliance. Penalties - both civil and criminal - for infringement are also seriously strict, and go well beyond what we expect to see. Or to put it another way, the TPP pretty much outsources all local law on intellectual property to the United States.

The EFF has a good piece here.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Pubgoer

"Anecdote alert: A handful of people I know have brought the subject up, they were all quite content to leave it to the Russians to have a go"

Sputnik's cartoonists agree

http://sputniknews.com/cartoons/.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2015
    Guido is reporting that Chris Grayling may be given the sack for daring to state that the UK may thrive outside of the EU:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/which-cabinet-minister-took-the/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144
    edited October 2015
    MTimT said:

So, is the advice to stay away from women whose mothers have passed? I never knew my M-i-L, marrying (relatively) late in life.

PS, Mrs T is also a very good cook - indeed, more chef than cook. She would not make liver and bacon, but I do. In a stew slow cooked with potatoes. Second best gravy (after kidney gravy). Why do Americans not eat offal?
    There's an old adage ...... Kissin' don't last' cookin' do!

Neither of us wants to sleep alone, though. After 50+ years
    Thought I'd better add that!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Pubgoer

"Anecdote alert: A handful of people I know have brought the subject up, they were all quite content to leave it to the Russians to have a go"

Sputnik's cartoonists agree

http://sputniknews.com/cartoons/.

On this week and the daily politics this was discussed... Neil, Portillo and Caroline Flint spoke positively about the Russian action
  • Options
    Lewis Hamilton just got a hug from Vladimir Putin after winning the Russian GP
  • Options

MTimT said:

There's an old adage ...... Kissin' don't last' cookin' do!
    I guess the law of natural selection has worked on adages over the ages. :)
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    The Iraqi authorities are claiming they have struck a number of vehicles from the air, one of which was carrying the IS big chief, Al Baghdadi. Whereabouts of said individual unknown after another vehicle spirited him away.

All rather vague.

• Options
    MP_SE said:

Guido is reporting that Chris Grayling may be given the sack for daring to state that the UK may thrive outside of the EU:

I see that Farage is offering a lunch date where dietary requirements are not allowed... Reminds me of this sketch

http://youtu.be/I6bihrwgs08

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I don't know if anyone's been following the TPP saga, but Wikileaks has released the intellectual property chapter. (Full text here)

It is slightly disturbing the extent to which countries are being forced to tow the line on issues that seem totally unrelated to freeing up global trade. I'm not so bothered by the extension on copyright terms to death + 70 years (although that seems long), but I do object to the provisions on DRM. Essentially, in countries which sign the TPP, circumvention of DRM is to be made a criminal offence, even when there has been no breach of copyright. Furthermore, the US DMCA is effectively being extended to a bunch more countries, with ISPs being responsible for compliance. Penalties - both civil and criminal - for infringement are also seriously strict, and go well beyond what we expect to see. Or to put it another way, the TPP pretty much outsources all local law on intellectual property to the United States.

The EFF has a good piece here.

Death +70 seems bad, but it is worse than that, given that the +x seems to get extended each time we get close to 1966 + x (think Disney Corporation).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,032
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Nyoooooooooom!

Won't spoil it, but I found the Russian race quite entertaining. Will set about writing the post race piece presently.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    HYUFD said:

It's rare to see Bernie hang about after a race. I once read that he's often long gone by the time the chequered flag is waved.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

It's rare to see Bernie hang about after a race. I once read that he's often long gone by the time the chequered flag is waved.
    Clearly he wants to ensure the organisation of the GP makes a good impression on dear old Vladimir, lots of potentially lucrative GPs to come for Bernie as a result
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    JEO said:

Does anyone know more about the Switzerland immigration system? Apparently, they voted last year to restrict immigration from the EU. Is this now in force?

http://sputniknews.com/politics/20151009/1028264988/switzerland-suppress-eu-immigration-quotas.html

No, as I understand it the Swiss Government has concluded that the referendum is incompatible with the agreements with the EU, and is therefore pursuing a dual approach, (a) drawing up regulations to implement the referendum (which must under Swiss law normally be implemented within 3 years of the referendum, unless it is reversed) and (b) considering a new referendum in the light of the failure to achieve compatibility with the agreements. The Government is currently discussing the options with a range of parties, employers, unions, etc.

In other words, the referendum was originally passed (by 50.3%) in the hope that it would be possible to achieve controls without spoiling the cooperation agreements that Switzerland would like. Now that it appears that this can't be done, the choice is between scrapping the cooperation agreements and having a new referendum to confirm that people would like to impose the limits anyway. If you read German, see https://www.euimmigration.org/noneu_switzerland.html and https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidgenössische_Volksinitiative_«Gegen_Masseneinwanderung»
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3267908/My-party-cult-locked-trance-bigotry-past.html
    In the space of a few months we've gone from a party preparing for government to one indulging in pointless, lazy opposition. Where once we were a genuine threat to David Cameron's Tories, we now continually shoot ourselves in the foot and commit political hara-kiri.
  • Options

Big fan of game. The Good Lady Wifi makes a fantastic version of shepherd's pie, using minced venison and duck. And her venison chilli is a thing of legend.... Especially the next day, when the flavours mature, served in a big Yorkshire pudding.

Do you have a recipe for that shepherd's pie? We have tons of deer and bow hunters who deposit large quantities in return for hunting permits. Not a fan of venison steaks, other good recipes most welcome. [Elk, on the other hand, is a spectacular meat - one of our hunters brings back samples from his hunting trips to the Mountain West]
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

Isn't Holland already having a referendum on some aspect of the EU treaty?

Not exactly. They're having a non-binding referendum on whether to have an agreement with the Ukraine. Sceptics see this as a first step towards Ukrainian membership, and argue that this would be an expansion too far.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/27/uk-ukraine-crisis-dutch-referendum-idUKKCN0RR0U320150927?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews
  • Options
    Mr. 86, he and Putin attend the General Assembly of Evil together after the race.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,403
    edited October 2015
    MP_SE said:

A shame when there are so many better reasons.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, quite. But then, Al Capone was arrested over taxes.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    MTimT said:

Do you have a recipe for that shepherd's pie? We have tons of deer and bow hunters who deposit large quantities in return for hunting permits. Not a fan of venison steaks, other good recipes most welcome. [Elk, on the other hand, is a spectacular meat - one of our hunters brings back samples from his hunting trips to the Mountain West]
    It is a creation of the Good Lady's own making. I will try and prevail upon her to write it up!

Incidentally, we call it Poacher's Pie!
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, it was indeed one of the more entertaining races this season.

Worth watching for the crazy Russian steward nearly getting splatted by Vettel as he ran onto the track to pick up a piece of car to stop a safety car being deployed.......
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, that was 'brave' indeed. Damned fool.

I enjoyed Bottas' icy calm final radio message.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cameron's demands are just the most unbelievable guff. "An explicit agreement that the British pound will be allowed to exist as a currency"

While he's at it, why doesn't he demand an EXPLICIT guarantee that the UK will remain an island off the coast of Europe, rather than an Alpine state next to Austria, plus a COPPER-FASTENED promise that the Queen's corgis will not be turned into scatter cushions within the next two decades.

You probably not reading the right websites, but there is a Brussels plan to physically attach Britain to the Continent and force us to join Schengen.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    SeanT said:

Cameron's demands are just the most unbelievable guff. "An explicit agreement that the British pound will be allowed to exist as a currency"

While he's at it, why doesn't he demand an EXPLICIT guarantee that the UK will remain an island off the coast of Europe, rather than an Alpine state next to Austria, plus a COPPER-FASTENED promise that the Queen's corgis will not be turned into scatter cushions within the next two decades.

Colour me paranoid, I wonder if that isn't in anticipation of some privately mooted future move to expand the Euro. Otherwise, as you say it's both cringing and servile. How on earth would the EU be able stop us using our own currency?
  • Options

Hah.

Fact... The EEA countries have more say in the negotiation of Single Market legislation than any individual EU country.
    Fact... The EEA countries cannot be outvoted and forced to adopt legislation they do not agree with - unlike EU countries.

A vote is not worth a bucket of spit when it is under QMV and when you are forced to abide by the results even when you fundamentally disagree with them - something that does not happen to EEA countries since, once again, they have a veto.

Your Eurofanaticism blinds you to the basic truth that EEA countries have all the benefits of the Single Market and just as much control over the legislation that molds it but ultimately can say no if they have a fundamental disagreement.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Haha
  • Options
    Cricket fans... Watch Rabadas last over for SA vs INDIA today.... V impressive defending 10, not only because it got me my best ever cricket betting result
  • Options
    John_M said:

SeanT said:

Colour me paranoid, I wonder if that isn't in anticipation of some privately mooted future move to expand the Euro. Otherwise, as you say it's both cringing and servile. How on earth would the EU be able stop us using our own currency?
    They can't obviously.

As we've discovered in the migrant crisis, with the objections of various Eastern European governments, the EU has no power to enforce. Any country who objected strongly enough to being outvoted on some QMV measure could simply leave. Unless you believe that Hungary or the UK would be invaded by France and Germany to keep them in the EU (hint, they won't be), then the EU's sole real power is the power of fright: if you don't do this you'll be cast out of the club and into the scary world all on your own.
  • Options

Hah.

Fact... The EEA countries have more say in the negotiation of Single Market legislation than any individual EU country.
    Fact... The EEA countries cannot be outvoted and forced to adopt legislation they do not agree with - unlike EU countries.

A vote is not worth a bucket of spit when it is under QMV and when you are forced to abide by the results even when you fundamentally disagree with them - something that does not happen to EEA countries since, once again, they have a veto.

Your Eurofanaticism blinds you to the basic truth that EEA countries have all the benefits of the Single Market and just as much control over the legislation that molds it but ultimately can say no if they have a fundamental disagreement.
    I think this is a very important point: the EEA countries (really, Norway) actually has far more power than people think. Essentially, they have a near blocking power on large parts of EU legislation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

They can't obviously.

As we've discovered in the migrant crisis, with the objections of various Eastern European governments, the EU has no power to enforce. Any country who objected strongly enough to being outvoted on some QMV measure could simply leave. Unless you believe that Hungary or the UK would be invaded by France and Germany to keep them in the EU (hint, they won't be), then the EU's sole real power is the power of fright: if you don't do this you'll be cast out of the club and into the scary world all on your own.
    Would be quite nice if we did some sort of agreement w Poland, Czech Rep, Lithuania etc whilst detaching ourselves from Germany and France
  • Options

JEO said:

No, as I understand it the Swiss Government has concluded that the referendum is incompatible with the agreements with the EU, and is therefore pursuing a dual approach, (a) drawing up regulations to implement the referendum (which must under Swiss law normally be implemented within 3 years of the referendum, unless it is reversed) and (b) considering a new referendum in the light of the failure to achieve compatibility with the agreements. The Government is currently discussing the options with a range of parties, employers, unions, etc.

In other words, the referendum was originally passed (by 50.3%) in the hope that it would be possible to achieve controls without spoiling the cooperation agreements that Switzerland would like. Now that it appears that this can't be done, the choice is between scrapping the cooperation agreements and having a new referendum to confirm that people would like to impose the limits anyway. If you read German, see https://www.euimmigration.org/noneu_switzerland.html and https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidgenössische_Volksinitiative_«Gegen_Masseneinwanderung»
    In other words as with all EU associated referenda it seems, if the vote goes against the EU, have another one until the public get it right.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

MTimT said:

It is a creation of the Good Lady's own making. I will try and prevail upon her to write it up!

Incidentally, we call it Poacher's Pie!
    Sounds great!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,190

JEO said:

In other words as with all EU associated referenda it seems, if the vote goes against the EU, have another one until the public get it right.
    Good point. Maybe Switzerland should leave the EU...:-)
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

My mother used to cook something we called 'fry' - it was liver, kidney and heart cooked very slowly with sage and gravy. I still cook it myself but with diced beef rather than heart.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    rcs1000 said:

Hah.

I think this is a very important point: the EEA countries (really, Norway) actually has far more power than people think. Essentially, they have a near blocking power on large parts of EU legislation.
    The fact that Tyndall thinks I'm a eutofanatic shows you how thick he is.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Hah.

The fact that Tyndall thinks I'm a eutofanatic shows you how thick he is.
    The fact that I use actual data and quotes whilst all you can do us smear is all we need to know about you. At least Robert understands what I am talking about.