Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rose might front Remain but he won’t lead it

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316
    taffys said:

''Sterling is hardly used in International trade. My company invoices £ 22-23m within the UK. About 8% of our sales within the UK is in EUR.''

Again, that is not the point. Sterling allows us CONTROL. It allows us to set our own monetary policy.

It6's going to be like the Indyref again, where some posters think a currency is about the means of exchange, rather than the fuller sense of controlling the economy through interest rates, QE, value versus other currencies etc.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2015
    MattW..obviously Corbyn and his team have no idea how to do it... pathetic..
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    taffys said:

''Sterling is hardly used in International trade. My company invoices £ 22-23m within the UK. About 8% of our sales within the UK is in EUR.''

Again, that is not the point. Sterling allows us CONTROL. It allows us to set our own monetary policy.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

(Though some argue it is not attributable to Rothschild)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

''Ministers want this declaration in order to protect the status of the pound sterling as a legitimate currency that will always exist.''

The utterly craven, spineless tone of this language is already getting ripped to shreds in social media.

Sterling is hardly used in International trade. My company invoices £ 22-23m within the UK. About 8% of our sales within the UK is in EUR.
    In terms of international currency reserves the GBP is number 3 or 4 (we swap places with the Yen) on about 4% - vs USD at ~60% and EUR at ~20% - so down - but far from out - and about double where we were 20 years ago (GBP 2% Yen 6%).....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserve_currency
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,990

taffys said:

It6's going to be like the Indyref again, where some posters think a currency is about the means of exchange, rather than the fuller sense of controlling the economy through interest rates, QE, value versus other currencies etc.
    And, conversely, where the Outers will blithely assume that they will get exactly what they want out of a new trading agreement with Europe in the same way the Yes supporters maintained the much larger English economy was going to give Scotland everything it wanted.

As you said an hour ago, far more heat than light.
  • Options

surbiton said:

JEO said:

surbiton said:

So where do you place USA, China, Japan, Germany ? We are only bigger than France and Brazil because of the exchange rate appreciation of the last 4 years which is slowly reversing itself.

A country with Manufacturing Output still below it's previous peak.

The sterling appreciation of the last few years is following a much bigger depreciation during the Brown years. Our economy is doing much better than the Eurozone's. The Remain campaign will get nowhere if its main argument is that the UK is shit and can't do as well as other non-EU economies.
    We will see. Tell that to the worker at Nissan !
    Correct, but already we see lots of daft arguments being set up about the In campaign denigrating Britain. We do well out of inward investment into the UK.
    I have to say if I was younger I would be a bit worried about my future being in the hands of some of the logic being spouted here.
    Considering the misleading statements and outright lies you keep repeating on these threads I am not surprised you are upset by logic and facts.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2015
    HYUFD said:

Mr. W, I was referring to arguments about sovereignty and control [which does make it ironic that so many Scottish separatists want to be in the EU].

Edited extra bit: Mr. Moses, if we vote In it will be read by EU-fanatics here, and other EU nations, as being a Yes to full steam ahead.

Which is why I think the most likely result is a very narrow Yes, stay In, but no mandate for further integration by the UK
    You seem to assume that the EU would give a flying f*ck about some vaporous 'mandate'. If we vote to remain, we're going to be QMVed into ever closer union.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,356
    edited October 2015

JEO said:

The British Empire is “gone”, an ally of Angel Merkel has said as he warned the UK can only remain in the “Champions League” of nations by staying in the European Union.

Michael Gahrer, an MEP for the German Chancellor’s CDU party, upped the pressure on Ms Merkel and David Cameron's talks by warning of the impact of Britain leaving the EU.

He said Scotland could go independent and banks could flee overseas if Britain exits Europe and played down the chances of Mr Cameron winning the removal of a pledge for “ever closer union”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11922207/British-Empire-is-gone-Angela-Merkel-ally-says-as-he-urges-In-vote-ahead-of-EU-crunch-talks.html

The British Empre is gone - something anyone under 60 has grown with up and long accepted.

Maybe if the germans could just accept theirs has gone too we'd all be a lot happier.
    Yes, I am so godsdamned sick of near any reluctance or questioning from the uk on something being raised a consequence of acting like we still have an empire or similar feeling, it happens far too often. We know we're not a superpower, but we are still a power and we can ask for things and do things without it being a sign of self important or colonial arrogance.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667

F1: odd. Adam Cooper, whose tweets I often see, has said Franz Tost (Toro Rosso boss) indicated Sainz's crash was 46g. But on Inside F1, Tost said Sainz had braked, and so the impact was only 5g.

Anyway, I'm off now. Race starts at midday.

They might have been referring to the initial contact with the barriers, and then the final impact. But I seriously doubt the initial impact with the barriers was 46g, and the bigger impact appeared to be the final one.

He's probably got it wrong.

If Sainz has suffered a 46g accident, I'd be amazed if they let him drive the next day.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    kle4 said:

JEO said:

The British Empire is “gone”, an ally of Angel Merkel has said as he warned the UK can only remain in the “Champions League” of nations by staying in the European Union.

Michael Gahrer, an MEP for the German Chancellor’s CDU party, upped the pressure on Ms Merkel and David Cameron's talks by warning of the impact of Britain leaving the EU.

He said Scotland could go independent and banks could flee overseas if Britain exits Europe and played down the chances of Mr Cameron winning the removal of a pledge for “ever closer union”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11922207/British-Empire-is-gone-Angela-Merkel-ally-says-as-he-urges-In-vote-ahead-of-EU-crunch-talks.html

The British Empre is gone - something anyone under 60 has grown with up and long accepted.

Maybe if the germans could just accept theirs has gone too we'd all be a lot happier.
    Yes, I am so godsdamned sick of near any reluctance or questioning from the uk on something being raised a consequence of acting like we still have an empire or similar feeling, it happens far too often. We know we're not a superpower, but we are still a power and we can ask for things and do things without it being a sign of self important or colonial arrogance.
    We ended up sacrificing our Empire in return for assistance in stopping her country from successfully invading us.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''As you said an hour ago, far more heat than light.''

I don;t think the outers believe that. If we leave, Europe may try to make it tough for us, particularly in financial services.

European policymakers hate the City. They hate all it stands for. They want to destroy it, whether we stay in or whether we leave.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,290
    edited October 2015
    ydoethur said:

ydoether. ..As you point out.. it is exactly the loss of sovereignty and the sinister way superstates are planning to force uncontrolled immigration that worries most people..

Yes - and it's not going to be successfully countered by the points that actually, Britain has much lower immigration than most of the rest of the EU, or that we still have veto over most of the key decisions, even though both are true. It just makes the people who are putting those lines look complacent.

If they put a positive case - that I (for example) and for that matter hundreds of other people benefitted from having a very hard-working and honest plumber from Lodz in my hometown after all the British plumbers had moved to more profitable areas, or that while creeping loss of veto is a worry, while we are in the EU we can still force changes to the rules to make them better for Britain (as Norway, for example, cannot, even though most EU decisions are ultimately binding on it as well) that would be far more helpful. That wouldn't convert diehard Eurosceptics, but it would encourage the swing voters to feel happier about the EU.

Norway has more control over the drafting and amending of Single Market regulations than the UK. They also have a veto which we do not.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316
    DavidL said:

taffys said:

And, conversely, where the Outers will blithely assume that they will get exactly what they want out of a new trading agreement with Europe in the same way the Yes supporters maintained the much larger English economy was going to give Scotland everything it wanted.

I can't see how we will get everything we ask for in a new trade deal but I can see how we will get most. The contentious areas will be agriculture ( as always ) and services.
  • Options

DavidL said:

taffys said:

The contentious areas will be agriculture ( as always ) and services.
    Like we've made progress in either over recent years......
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

taffys said:

The increasing centralisation of the eurozone and our desire to stay out of it is the major point of the negotiations.
    The other point which no one has mentioned is that under the conservatives we have put into law the requirement to have referendums on any other treaty changes anyway, so even after this on if there are other EU treaties then we will have further referendums on them.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375
    edited October 2015

ydoethur said:

ydoether. ..As you point out.. it is exactly the loss of sovereignty and the sinister way superstates are planning to force uncontrolled immigration that worries most people..

Yes - and it's not going to be successfully countered by the points that actually, Britain has much lower immigration than most of the rest of the EU, or that we still have veto over most of the key decisions, even though both are true. It just makes the people who are putting those lines look complacent.

If they put a positive case - that I (for example) and for that matter hundreds of other people benefitted from having a very hard-working and honest plumber from Lodz in my hometown after all the British plumbers had moved to more profitable areas, or that while creeping loss of veto is a worry, while we are in the EU we can still force changes to the rules to make them better for Britain (as Norway, for example, cannot, even though most EU decisions are ultimately binding on it as well) that would be far more helpful. That wouldn't convert diehard Eurosceptics, but it would encourage the swing voters to feel happier about the EU.

Norway has more control over the drafting and amending of Single Market regulations than the UK. They also have a veto which we do not.
    Are you sure about that? That’s not what they say.
  • Options
    I don't believe for second Brussels is confused by the demands. Good demands or bad demands, they'll have been given explanations of what is wanted whatever the public presentation. It's just standard tactics to dismiss things, presenting as unclear what is wanted or what we are playing at, they'd have done it no matter what or how things were asked for.

I presume there have already been the standard 'some in Europe are growing frustrated with the U.K.' Reports?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It all seems so simple to me If Cameron doesn't get what he wants, we capitulate to the demands of the EU..with tail between the legs...or we get out...I know which I would prefer
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    dr_spyn said:

I hope none of PB's American readers will jump to the conclusion that Corbyn was busily hiking the Appalachian Trail, and therefore unable to meet HMQ.

http://news.sky.com/story/1567524/corbyn-missed-privy-council-to-go-on-holiday

Will walking The West Highland Way be code for Corbyn's next absence?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22470691

"walking The West Highland Way"

Wet and boggy down south, bumpy with fine views up north?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,488
    surbiton said:

Mr. Roger, no research, but I suspect many are supportive of Russia's action in Syria.

The way they are going about attacking the rebels shows that we are just poncing about when it comes to IS.
    Why is that coming as a surprise to anybody ? Russia's main strategy is to shore up Assad. They have not hidden that. I am not sure why they would act as USA's lackey. The UK is there to play that role.

The IS is being bombarded by the "coalition" for over a year now. Are you saying that the USA and those heinous Gulf countries whose monetary and material support created IS in the first place are incapable of finishing IS ? That shows real weakness.

It is not the job of Russia to support US foreign policy.
    They are just flushing out that US and UK were not trying hard, just trying to look good whilst their paid chums took over Syria.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,057
    New Spain poll for November's election has Citizens with balance of power

PSOE 23.5%
    PP 23.4%
    Ciudadanos 21.5%
    Podemos 14.1%
    IU 5.6%
    https://twitter.com/YanniKouts
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

David Cameron's four key demands to remain in the EU revealed

'Forcing Brussels to make “an explicit statement” that Britain will be kept out of any move towards a European superstate. This will require an exemption for the UK from the EU’s founding principle of “ever closer union”.
    An “explicit statement” that the euro is not the official currency of the EU, making clear that Europe is a “multi-currency” union. Ministers want this declaration in order to protect the status of the pound sterling as a legitimate currency that will always exist.
    A new “red card” system to bring power back from Brussels to Britain. This would give groups of national parliaments the power to stop unwanted directives being handed down and to scrap existing EU laws.
    A new structure for the EU itself. The block of 28 nations must be reorganised to prevent the nine countries that are not in the eurozone being dominated by the 19 member states that are, with particular protections for the City of London.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11924603/David-Camerons-four-key-demands-to-remain-in-the-EU-revealed.html?WT.mc_id=e_DM54522&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FAM_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_FAM_New_2015_10_11&utm_campaign=DM54522

That would probably be ok. But I doubt #4, which is by far and away the most important, will happen
    If we succeeded in all 4 and voted to Remain, do you think other countries would start making special demands as well?
    Possibly, although #3 and #4 will apply to everyone.

Isn't Holland already having a referenedum on some aspect of the EU treaty?
    Well the whole point of the negotiations is to reform the EU so why should not others stick their oar in? Let's see what comes out and vote on it? To repeat.... subsequent new treaties will require new referendums.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''As you said an hour ago, far more heat than light.''

I don;t think the outers believe that. If we leave, Europe may try to make it tough for us, particularly in financial services.

European policymakers hate the City. They hate all it stands for. They want to destroy it, whether we stay in or whether we leave.

I think it is more fear than hate with a bit of envy thrown in. They recognise that the volume of money racing through London is such that even the EZ is vulnerable if sentiment moves against them or a particular EZ country. They don't like markets having that level of unaccountable power. Of course many in this country would agree with them.

They also see that London is taking over in financial services. Frankfurt and Paris used to be genuine competitors with London, now they don't have the same turnover put together. Even in these non bubble times this has significant fiscal implications for the tax flows in the different EU countries and they no doubt think that when a transaction is finalised in London between 2 German or French banks they should get a cut. And we don't. Hence the fight about the European Financial Transaction tax.
  • Options

Mr. W, I was referring to arguments about sovereignty and control [which does make it ironic that so many Scottish separatists want to be in the EU].

Edited extra bit: Mr. Moses, if we vote In it will be read by EU-fanatics here, and other EU nations, as being a Yes to full steam ahead.

MD I find it equally baffling that the loyalists are so desperate to hold onto Scotland that they will resort to any skullduggery. Hopefully England votes OUT.
  • Options
    Very good article in many ways, by the way...because I agree with one of its core premises, in that there are a lot of political behaviours which are not partisan, but just a part of the job, and if one gets involved in politics, more often than not you employ the same tactics, to some degree, or fail.
  • Options
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

Which is why I think the most likely result is a very narrow Yes, stay In, but no mandate for further integration by the UK
    You seem to assume that the EU would give a flying f*ck about some vaporous 'mandate'. If we vote to remain, we're going to be QMVed into ever closer union.
    Yes we will see if the unionists want to become a sub region of Brussels, be interesting if they polish off the "Better Together" , "pooling and sharing " crap in the campaign.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    There isn't anything in the Telegraph's list of demands, if successful, to persuade anybody to vote remain if they are thinking of voting leave. It looks as though the "we will get a mountain of gold from England" view still prevails in Europe.
  • Options
    The Scots in Scotland voted to stay in the Union...no one else..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Yes it is. Just like in the UK the Norwegian establishment are overwhelmingly Europhile and have tried for years to get the country to join the EU. But if you look at the actual EEA agreement between EFTA and the EU, the EFTA members (3 of them as Switzerland stays out) have equal rights with the EU in instigation, drafting and amending of all regulation applying to the single market. In addition, because the EFTA members do not vote in the EU Parliament, they have a final veto over any Single Market legislation they feel is not in their national interests.

From the Norwegian Government's own website

"According to the principle of unanimity applied in the EEA Joint Committee, all the EFTA states must agree in order for new EU legislation to be integrated into the EEA Agreement and for it to apply to cooperation between the EFTA states and the EU. If one EFTA state opposes integration, this also affects the other EFTA states in that the rules will not apply to them either, neither in the individual states nor between the EFTA states themselves nor in their relations with the EU. This possibility that each EFTA state has to object to new rules that lie within the scope of the EEA Agreement becoming applicable to the EFTA pillar is often referred to as these parties’ right of veto."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,844
    Just wanted to pop on - heard one of the Eagles on Pienaar today, happened to be talking about uni/multilateralism.

God they, the whole shadow cabinet are a bunch of utter, utter disingenous, cowardly sh1ts.

How on earth can they live with themselves?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'Hence the fight about the European Financial Transaction tax.'

Indeed. Maybe we should up our contribution to the EU in exchange for them leaving the City alone.

Nobody seems to have thought of is. If we want more from the EU, we have to give more. More autonomy for Britain and our economy, in exchange for a doubling in our contributions.

If you want Europe a la carte you have to pay a la carte prices.
  • Options
    So, Mr Tyndall, the EU comes along to EFTA and says “we’re doing this” and the EFTA states can agree or not?
    But they’re not part of the discussion. And the EU can do whatever it iis nternally anyway, which might well affect businesses operating outside and exporting into the EU.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TOPPING said:

Just wanted to pop on - heard one of the Eagles on Pienaar today, happened to be talking about uni/multilateralism.

God they, the whole shadow cabinet are a bunch of utter, utter disingenous, cowardly sh1ts.

And, your point was............?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,057
    John_M said:

HYUFD said:

No, as clearly there will likely only be an In vote if the EU makes some noises about an EU non-eurozone area, much as Scotland only voted No with promises of more powers. Ultimately the UK will only stay in the EU as part of a non-Eurozone area with Sweden, Denmark and a few Eastern European nations, much as Scotland will only stay in the UK with more powers and probably FFA
  • Options
    Topping...they seem to find it very easy...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294

dr_spyn said:

I hope none of PB's American readers will jump to the conclusion that Corbyn was busily hiking the Appalachian Trail, and therefore unable to meet HMQ.

http://news.sky.com/story/1567524/corbyn-missed-privy-council-to-go-on-holiday

Will walking The West Highland Way be code for Corbyn's next absence?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22470691

"walking The West Highland Way"

Wet and boggy down south, bumpy with fine views up north?
    +1.
  • Options

So, Mr Tyndall, the EU comes along to EFTA and says “we’re doing this” and the EFTA states can agree or not?
    But they’re not part of the discussion. And the EU can do whatever it iis nternally anyway, which might well affect businesses operating outside and exporting into the EU.

Not so. All I quoted was the bit on the veto which was what I thought you were referring to. One of the reasons the veto is not exercised is because the EFTA states have full involvement in the instigation and drafting of all single market legislation. The only thing they are excluded from is the final vote - hence the reason for the veto if they really disagree with the final regulation.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Rest assured nobody knows what they are talking about. Pure blind prejudice. The emphasis is on blind.
    The EEA might be OK for us, but the EU will continue to exist so its naïve to talk about being free of it.
  • Options
    The Russian national anthem is being played... Corbyn will be standing to attention.
  • Options
    taffys said:

'Hence the fight about the European Financial Transaction tax.'

Indeed. Maybe we should up our contribution to the EU in exchange for them leaving the City alone.

Nobody seems to have thought of is. If we want more from the EU, we have to give more. More autonomy for Britain and our economy, in exchange for a doubling in our contributions.

If you want Europe a la carte you have to pay a la carte prices.

Or just eat at another restaurant where the prices are more reasonable and the service much better.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Rest assured nobody knows what they are talking about. Pure blind prejudice. The emphasis is on blind.
    The EEA might be OK for us, but the EU will continue to exist so its naïve to talk about being free of it.
    From the man who consistently lies on here about the EU and EEA. If you notice I actually quote the legislation. You just make stuff up.

I really would have thought after the number of times you have been shown to be either grossly ill informed or just outright dishonest you would have chosen to stay under your rock.
  • Options

The Russian national anthem is being played... Corbyn will be standing to attention.

I’m really glad I’m a liberal. Fancy carrying all that hate around . Must warp your mind!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

taffys said:

Not really. The Outers are arguing that free trade is in the EU's interest, not that it is some kind of moral obligation
  • Options

I’m really glad I’m a liberal. Fancy carrying all that hate around . Must warp your mind!
    Seems to be a common trait of a lot of the Tory frothers on here. Bile and hatred seems to be their be all and end all. As you say cannot be good for them. Luckily there are a few sensible ones but not enough to balance it.
  • Options
    MG You are the one with the most bile and hatred on PB..You demonstrate it every day...
  • Options

MG You are the one with the most bile and hatred on PB..You demonstrate it every day...

Along comes bellend to prove my point.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,395
    edited October 2015
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/10/labour-mps-defy-jeremy-corbyn-on-syria

"In a sign of increasing cross-party cooperation over Syria, Tory MP and former international development secretary Andrew Mitchell, and Labour MP Jo Cox, a former head of policy at Oxfam, have joined forces in support of the plan [for no fly/save havens in Syria] in an article for the Observer. Corbyn has consistently made it clear he is opposed to British military involvement in Syria.

Although his close friend and shadow chancellor John McDonnell has suggested Labour MPs could be given a free vote in the Commons, it would be a huge blow to the leader’s authority if a vote was passed with the backing of a sizable number of Labour MPs."

I think it's worth observing that Corbyn would like any such number not to be seen as a blow to his authority, i.e. the new non-conformist politics in action, not challenged.

But it's far from clear the old rules do not apply.
  • Options
    MG Where is the bile and hatred in my post..it is more a plea for someone to help you..
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

taffys said:

Not really. The Outers are arguing that free trade is in the EU's interest, not that it is some kind of moral obligation
    Oh the NATs were quite convinced of that too.
  • Options

MG Where is the bile and hatred in my post..it is more a plea for someone to help you..

LOL, an EU immigrant that foams and froths about how bad the EU is, oh how we laughed.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    All a bit grumpy on here this morning however, I have news to cheer.

If you are drinking a blend the Co-Op's own label scotch is perfectly drinkable. Comfortably acceptable, especially with a mixer, with more famous household names and yet it retails for just £12.99 as opposed the £17 or thereabouts (unless on special offer) of Bells, Grouse, et al..

There , isn't that good news? Don't rush to thank me.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TOPPING said:

Quite easily; they are cretins making it up as they go along, hoping against hope that one of their psuedo marxist arrows find a mark.
  • Options

If you are drinking a blend the Co-Op's own label scotch is perfectly drinkable. Comfortably acceptable, especially with a mixer, with more famous household names and yet it retails for just £12.99 as opposed the £17 or thereabouts (unless on special offer) of Bells, Grouse, et al..

We keep a bottle of grouse for anyone ill advised enough to put anything other than a drop of water in their whisky. Had it for years. The malts on the other hand....
  • Options
    As things stand I'm very firmly in the Remain camp. Possibly the only thing that could swing me the other way is if David Cameron wins too many concessions for my liking. In that scenario I might start to feel that our remaining in was no longer in the interests of the EU - which would sadden me greatly.

In any case this is not going to be a referendum that'll enthuse me. The choice is going to be between a watered down membership and leaving altogether. These are my third and fourth preferences respectively (my first being increased integration and my second being the status quo). :(
  • Options

Afternoon Hurst, difficult to lighten the tone on here I think. However good news indeed if you like a dram. I shall go and do something lighter now though , clean the privies or such like , as I doubt we will get much joy here this afternoon.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

taffys said:

And the Outers aren't advocating a currency union either.....
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    and along comes the tartan bellend to prove my point..the EU at the moment is a cesspile..and needs radical reforming..and I am not an immigrant here..I live in Europe and mainly work in the UK..where I also pay my taxes..like so many others..Including your good buddy Roger......you still need help..
  • Options

ydoethur said:

From the man who consistently lies on here about the EU and EEA. If you notice I actually quote the legislation. You just make stuff up.

I really would have thought after the number of times you have been shown to be either grossly ill informed or just outright dishonest you would have chosen to stay under your rock.
    Hah.
    Rabid outers on here moan that negotiations are not worth anything since we will be QMV'd out of it, yet you say the EEA is fine for everything... Oh except they have no votes. A say without a vote is not worth a bucket of spit.

You ignore all reality because it suits your infantile ignorant prejudice. The EEA may well suit us, but nobody pretend it will be any different of magically better. And the likes of everyone currently employed on our car industry had better hope we would still protect our inward investment success.
  • Options

and along comes the tartan bellend to prove my point..the EU at the moment is a cesspile..and needs radical reforming..and I am not an immigrant here..I live in Europe and mainly work in the UK..where I also pay my taxes..like so many others..Including your good buddy Roger...

What was all that codswallop you said last week about not repeating what you have just been tagged as, you forget your nuggets of wisdom that quick.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I’ve rather given up whisky as I get older. Find it gives me a headache too easily. East of England Co-op, on the other hand, has some extremely acceptable wines.
  • Options
    What are you bleating about..has the smell from your privy overwhelmed you..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We keep a bottle of grouse for anyone ill advised enough to put anything other than a drop of water in their whisky. Had it for years. The malts on the other hand....
    Generous....I've got a bottle of Bells for that very purpose......of similar longevity......
  • Options

What are you bleating about..has the smell from your privy overwhelmed you..

You really do suit your name.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Quite so, Mr. L. and generally speaking I prefer an Islay single malt myself. However, there are times when Laphroaig or such are too much and then I will take a blend. Until recently I thought the Irish whiskey's provided a better value for those times. However, and let us put snobbery aside here, the discovery of a blend that retails for £4 less than the big names but is still quite drinkable is, I think, jolly good news.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I still can't face reading the whole article, it makes me flinch - but I've just noticed how many times it's been shared directly from the DT website 14k - I've never seen another get that sort of message spreading. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html
  • Options

Hah.
    Rabid outers on here moan that negotiations are not worth anything since we will be QMV'd out of it, yet you say the EEA is fine for everything... Oh except they have no votes. A say without a vote is not worth a bucket of spit.

You ignore all reality because it suits your infantile ignorant prejudice. The EEA may well suit us, but nobody pretend it will be any different of magically better. And the likes of everyone currently employed on our car industry had better hope we would still protect our inward investment success.

And again. The man who lies consistently about the EU and EEA has a rant because he doesn't like it when he is called out and when his lies are countered with actual facts and quotes.

Perhaps your worthless dribbling reflects the fact that you really are too dumb to understand these issues.
  • Options
    Bells is an abomination.. used only for washing ones bicycle wheels when they are muddy..
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 662
    edited October 2015
    RichardDodd/MalcolmG

Can you two no longer interact with each other directly or indirectly.

Your convervsations are tedious for everyone else to read.

If you two do want to talk to each other, we suggest you get a room.
  • Options

As things stand I'm very firmly in the Remain camp. Possibly the only thing that could swing me the other way is if David Cameron wins too many concessions for my liking. In that scenario I might start to feel that our remaining in was no longer in the interests of the EU - which would sadden me greatly.

In any case this is not going to be a referendum that'll enthuse me. The choice is going to be between a watered down membership and leaving altogether. These are my third and fourth preferences respectively (my first being increased integration and my second being the status quo). :(

So you really prefer, and even like to be ruled by unelected, unrepresented, bureaucrats from the capital of that almost none country, Brussels.

You are a very sad case. Pathetic, really.
  • Options

You have my admiration Steven . I may disagree fundamentally with your views on wanting closer union and more integration but at least you are honest enough to actually make clear that is what you want. That is a perfectly valid and reasonable position - even if one with which I cannot agree.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Generous....I've got a bottle of Bells for that very purpose......of similar longevity......
    To be honest it was a present. A grateful client, remarkably enough. Me as their counsel, Grouse their whisky, maybe not the best judge in the world!
  • Options

I still can't face reading the whole article, it makes me flinch - but I've just noticed how many times it's been shared directly from the DT website 14k - I've never seen another get that sort of message spreading. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11924431/Revealed-Jeremy-Corbyn-and-John-McDonnells-close-IRA-links.html

And the British Government wasn’t in talks with the IRA at the time? Covertly, of course.
  • Options
    PB MOD...Thank you...can I suggest a few other posters who should be kept apart..and then we can watch the site decline..
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    surbiton said:

Mr. Roger, no research, but I suspect many are supportive of Russia's action in Syria.

The way they are going about attacking the rebels shows that we are just poncing about when it comes to IS.
    Why is that coming as a surprise to anybody ? Russia's main strategy is to shore up Assad. They have not hidden that. I am not sure why they would act as USA's lackey. The UK is there to play that role.

The IS is being bombarded by the "coalition" for over a year now. Are you saying that the USA and those heinous Gulf countries whose monetary and material support created IS in the first place are incapable of finishing IS ? That shows real weakness.

It is not the job of Russia to support US foreign policy.
    Furthermore, Russia's strategy (the only viable strategy militarily) is to use a ground force (the Syrian army) to follow up on airstrikes and hold territory. Since the Coalition refused to work with the Syrian army, it's hardly surprising they've had 13 months and achieved the square route of f-all. In fact they've overseen a massive expansion of IS territory.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

That is very good news for drinkers of scotch. Sadly, they don't include me. Can't stand the stuff - or spirits generally. Champagne, on the other hand........

• Options

You have my admiration Steven . I may disagree fundamentally with your views on wanting closer union and more integration but at least you are honest enough to actually make clear that is what you want. That is a perfectly valid and reasonable position - even if one with which I cannot agree.
    What Steven doesn't make clear is why he wants, so much, to be bound in the EU's embrace. I mean, whats in it for him besides eventual serfdom?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    A kindred spirit
    “I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad.
    Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone.
    When I have company I consider it obligatory.
    I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
    Otherwise, I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”
    ~ Lilly Bollinger
    Cyclefree said:

That is very good news for drinkers of scotch. Sadly, they don't include me. Can't stand the stuff - or spirits generally. Champagne, on the other hand........

• Options

RichardDodd/MalcolmG

Can you two no longer interact with each other directly or indirectly.

Your convervsations are tedious for everyone else to read.

If you two do want to talk to each other, we suggest you get a room.

Gladly , they are tedious to me as well , he seems to have some obsession with me.
  • Options
    JEO said:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a5667fd8-6e9b-11e5-8171-ba1968cf791a.html#ixzz3oFeOQfvB

Not a word is put to paper. There are negotiators, countless meetings but not one specific demand. Asking for what you want is definitely banned. And a wishlist can only emerge once everyone agrees to fulfil the wishes. Welcome to the surreal phase of Britain’s EU renegotiation.

Left to crack the riddle in Brussels are a handful of veteran civil servants, well practised over the years in serving mercurial politicians. But even to these bureaucratic magicians, the “British question” is proving especially bewildering.

“How do you start a negotiation when they refuse to make a proposal?” asked one senior official advising a leader at the centre of the talks.

This is all an effort, in the eyes of one senior figure in the British camp, of “challenging partners to think of this as a shared problem”. Suggested fixes from other member states are being welcomed. “This is not the right time, if ever [to put forward a wishlist],” the British negotiator added.

These are the people who the future of our country is in the hands of. We really are circling the plughole.
  • Options

I’ve rather given up whisky as I get older. Find it gives me a headache too easily. East of England Co-op, on the other hand, has some extremely acceptable wines.
    Yes even in our little village Co-op the wine racks are worth regular inspection. The best place for wine bargains that I have found in recent years though are the foreign retailers, Aldi and Lidl. They frequently have some very acceptable stuff for very low prices. I well remember the day when I found a good Vhino Verde (to which I am partial) for £2 a bottle. I would have bought their entire stick except that such wine has to be drunk quickly.

P.S. Given that you spent your working life dealing with the effects of chemicals on the human body, what do you think it is in whisky that now gives you a headache?
  • Options

A kindred spirit

“I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad.
    Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone.
    When I have company I consider it obligatory.
    I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
    Otherwise, I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty.”
    ~ Lilly Bollinger
    Cyclefree said:

I must confess to being an almost none drinker: a couple when I'm at a PB get together, otherwise about one tot of spirit about every month. I will make an exception for weddings or party conferences, whenever I attend.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

What Steven doesn't make clear is why he wants, so much, to be bound in the EU's embrace. I mean, whats in it for him besides eventual serfdom?
    There is a perfectly honourable and long standing movement for federalism in Europe. I believe it is misguided and it is not something I would support but it is intellectually honest and is in stark contrast to those who try to pretend that we can be part of the EU and still have full, or even partial, control over our country.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Hyperbole alert:

@MSmithsonPB: @Owen_PattersonMP "EU referendum biggest political decision since reformation". What about Churchill cabinet decision to fight on in 1940?

It isn't even the first time we've been asked this question.

Arguably it isn't even the most important political decision this decade.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Not surprising - it's bottled at around 40% abv, so it's going to taste and smell like a spirity punch in the face at first. It's when you drink it a lot and get used to it that you don't notice that any more and you begin to discern all the other wonderful aromas and tastes, the caramels, spices, dried fruit, tinned peaches etc. etc. Attend a comparative whisky tasting if you get a chance.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Hyperbole alert:

@MSmithsonPB: @Owen_PattersonMP "EU referendum biggest political decision since reformation". What about Churchill cabinet decision to fight on in 1940?

For some of us it does not even come close to a decision made just last year.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Hyperbole alert:

Tsk, I was thinking of the AV referendum.
  • Options

Bells is an abomination.. used only for washing ones bicycle wheels when they are muddy..

No one notices in coke......
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Not surprising - it's bottled at around 40% abv, so it's going to taste and smell like a spirity punch in the face at first. It's when you drink it a lot and get used to it that you don't notice that any more and you begin to discern all the other wonderful aromas and tastes, the caramels, spices, dried fruit, tinned peaches etc. etc. Attend a comparative whisky tasting if you get a chance.
    I don't doubt you. I have tried. No good I'm afraid. I don't drink much alcohol generally, tbh. The same with olives, bizarrely (for an Italian, I mean) and honey. Cannot bear the taste or smell. Olive oil is fine though.

On the other hand, I love offal and delicacies such as calves' brains. Make of that what you will.

• Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

Hyperbole alert:

Would that that were indeed a decision.....not according to the more vocal losers....but a bump in the road.....
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Yes even in our little village Co-op the wine racks are worth regular inspection. The best place for wine bargains that I have found in recent years though are the foreign retailers, Aldi and Lidl. They frequently have some very acceptable stuff for very low prices. I well remember the day when I found a good Vhino Verde (to which I am partial) for £2 a bottle. I would have bought their entire stick except that such wine has to be drunk quickly.

P.S. Given that you spent your working life dealing with the effects of chemicals on the human body, what do you think it is in whisky that now gives you a headache?
    I suspect, Mr L, that it’s not the whisky itself; it’s rather the failure of my brain cells to cope further, due to 60+ years of imbibing, and occasionally, especially in my early 20’s over-imbibing, assorted alcoholic drinks.

Our Wine Appreciation Group had a meeting devoted to Lidl wines recently. The reds selected were dood, and better than the whites. However the Monbaziiac was worthy of being classed as a dessert wine at £7.99 a full bottle.
  • Options

And the British Government wasn’t in talks with the IRA at the time? Covertly, of course.
    The British govt were not collaborating with the IRA like Corbyn was. The British government were when it mattered talking to the various parties, not just IRA .
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

To be honest it was a present. A grateful client, remarkably enough. Me as their counsel, Grouse their whisky, maybe not the best judge in the world!
    Tush Tush, Grouse is a perfectly acceptable blend. And Naked Grouse (which is basically standard Grouse matured (or 'married' to use the proper term) for a further five years in first fill sherry casks is nectar.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,682
    HYUFD said:

New Spain poll for November's election has Citizens with balance of power

PSOE 23.5%
    PP 23.4%
    Ciudadanos 21.5%
    Podemos 14.1%
    IU 5.6%
    https://twitter.com/YanniKouts

My metropolitan, professional, young-ish Spanish friends are all voting Citizens.

I would note that they are not a very representative bunch
  • Options
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/11/report-no-treaty-change-free-movement-stays-in-governments-demands-for-eu/

After months of waiting, the British government has finally revealed its main demands in its attempt to renegotiate the country’s European Union (EU) membership, and eurosceptics are unlikely to be happy.

The Sunday Telegraph states that the government has four key requirements. They are:

An “explicit statement” that Britain will not be part of a European superstate.

An “explicit statement” that the currencies other than the euro are welcome in the EU, and that the euro is not its official currency.

A “red card” system that would give groups of national parliaments the right to repeal existing EU law.

A “new structure” for the EU to prevent the nine non-eurozone members from being dominated by the others.

Tory and Foreign Office officials believe this list is the best deal they can likely achieve, however many will be disappointed.

But Cammo will not negotiate on free movement, so the migrants will still arrive in SWARMS. How marvelous!
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Tush Tush, Grouse is a perfectly acceptable blend. And Naked Grouse (which is basically standard Grouse matured (or 'married' to use the proper term) for a further five years in first fill sherry casks is nectar.
    Agree, whilst I drink Malts, not everyone can afford them and nothing whatsover wrong with Grouse and a touch of water.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't doubt you. I have tried. No good I'm afraid. I don't drink much alcohol generally, tbh. The same with olives, bizarrely (for an Italian, I mean) and honey. Cannot bear the taste or smell. Olive oil is fine though.

On the other hand, I love offal and delicacies such as calves' brains. Make of that what you will.

Ha! Well you have me beat on the offal front - love it all ground up with oats in haggis, but anything more organ looking (and tasting) isn't for me. Perhaps memories of being forced to eat liver at school. :(
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,615
    edited October 2015
    If you cross-reference the comments on UKPR (we must leave the EU to sign fewer FTAs) with the comments here (we must leave the EU to sign more FTAs), it illustrates why the REMAIN camp will have such a hard time of it: the EU has become an Universal Villain, the departure from which will solve problem X for any given X, including !X

However, I am not here today to wax about the EU. Instead, I offer you this YouTube as brief cheer: 25 Maps That Will Change The Way You See The World
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

I don't want this to come across as an aggressive 'f off then', because it's not what I am saying but you could always move to a country that is in the EU? If I felt as you do I would do that
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MikeK said:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/11/report-no-treaty-change-free-movement-stays-in-governments-demands-for-eu/

After months of waiting, the British government has finally revealed its main demands in its attempt to renegotiate the country’s European Union (EU) membership, and eurosceptics are unlikely to be happy.

The Sunday Telegraph states that the government has four key requirements. They are:

An “explicit statement” that Britain will not be part of a European superstate.

An “explicit statement” that the currencies other than the euro are welcome in the EU, and that the euro is not its official currency.

A “red card” system that would give groups of national parliaments the right to repeal existing EU law.

A “new structure” for the EU to prevent the nine non-eurozone members from being dominated by the others.

Tory and Foreign Office officials believe this list is the best deal they can likely achieve, however many will be disappointed.

But Cammo will not negotiate on free movement, so the migrants will still arrive in SWARMS. How marvelous!

Given that a lot of other countries have had enough of free movement, it would surely be impossible for us to ask for concessions in that area?
  • Options

They may well have been. What they weren't doing was cheering at the killing of innocents like Roberta Wakeham, wife of the MP or Muriel McLean, wife of the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives, nor at the maiming of Mrs Tebbit, who suffers to this day and whose husband has had to watch the suffering of his beloved wife and care for her.

That is what this paper and those who wrote for it were doing. Corbyn was on the editorial board and takes responsibility for the editorial line taken by the publication. If you have a position of responsibility at the top of an organisation, you take responsibility - if you are a grown up with a sense of responsibility, that is - for what it does. If you don't like it or disagree with it, you argue your corner and in the last analysis you resign if there is a disagreement with which you cannot live.

And that is why Corbyn is being criticised. He wants the freedom to say what he thinks. He wants the kudos from being thought of as someone who says what he thinks, no matter how unpalatable. And when people bring up his past actions he - and his supporters - moan like babies that he should not be held responsible for what he has said and done in the past, even though that is the alpha and omega of his appeal. It's both pathetic and morally repulsive.