Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rose might front Remain but he won’t lead it

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rose might front Remain but he won’t lead it

Politicians are not popular; not now and rarely ever. The bickering, the pettiness, the game-playing, the dirt thrown – much of which sticks to some extent, including to the hands throwing it – the actual policies proposed or implemented, the negative characteristics of those involved: none raises the esteem in which our leaders are held.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Clearly A Rose By Any Other Name Required.
  • Options
    A Rose Between Two Mighty Thorns
  • Options
    But He Who Dares Not Grasp The Thorn Should Never Crave The Rose.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    edited October 2015
    Excellent piece Mr Herdson, I've been on the OUT side for years, long before it was a popular discussion and long before immigration became such an issue.

I don't believe it's wishful thinking on my part to say that the momentum is entirely with us, it seems there is a chance that the PM will recommend LEAVE which although highly unlikely was recently unimaginable.

The only argument STAY has is "uncertainty" which is a very negative message and "safety", people like Mandelson will argue that if we leave war will break across Europe the following day, which is ridiculous of course.

The only thing that can stop us now is infighting across the campaign groups but I don't think that will happen, each group will appeal to different parts of the electorate, I think Nigel Farage's influence will diminish which is neither here nor there as the 4m kipper votes are in the bag.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    edited October 2015
    Well said David - excellent article. I was very surprised to see Mr Rose announced as leading the In campaign as I'd assumed that job will be given to the PM (assuming he gets what he thinks he needs). But I guess this relates to the official campaign but as David says, in reality the PM will play a prominent role. Although, I heard Hugo Rifkind on the Daily Politics say that he thinks it could be a tricky manoeuvre for the PM to join the debate at the end.

I get why politicians appeal to business for support, but in this case caution may be advised - especially for the In side. A friend of mine runs a metal fabrication business that employs four people - he'll be voting to Out. The In campaign needs to be careful to not get exclusively the support of Big Business and leave itself open to accusations of caring only for a readily available supply of cheap labour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    JackW - Rose with the lark?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2015

The only argument STAY has is "uncertainty" which is a very negative message and "safety".

All elections are about "change" vs. "more of the same".

The latter tends to win. The Tories love it.
  • Options
    But surely it is precisely because David Cameron is so determined that we should remain in the EU, a fact which must be all too well understood by the other European leaders, that he will achieve so little in the re-negotiations. He simply doesn't have it in him to fight Britain's corner with sufficient vigour and therefore the exercise will prove wholly futile.
    Inevitably, whether we vote to remain in or to leave, his own position will be greatly weakened and he will feel totally demoralised. The Tories will lose much of their support, forcing him to remain in office. Labour on the other hand will feel, against all the odds, that they have a chance of winning in 2020 if only they can bring themselves to ditch Corbyn which they finally bring themselves to bring about in late 2018 (or more probably he decides to quit ... say on the grounds of ill health or whatever), to be replaced by that all things to all men candidate, Hilary Benn who proceeds then to become Prime Minister in May 2020 and I win my 949/1 punt with Betfair, the greatest bet ever placed in the entire history of PoliticalBetting.com and I am triumphantly carried aloft through the streets of Bedford.
    Well ...... one can but dream!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Jonathan said:

The only argument STAY has is "uncertainty" which is a very negative message and "safety".

I'm not sure it will work, but one strategy of the Out campaign will be to say that there is no status quo on offer. A vote to remain will be taken as a vote to go further in the future.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well said David - excellent article. I was very surprised to see Mr Rose announced as leading the In campaign as I'd assumed that job will be given to the PM (assuming he gets what he thinks he needs).

LEAVE having upped their game this past week, STAY needed a name in the frame to front their campaign - or be left on the starting grid. That name could not be the PM, or he would have zero credibility negotiating reforms. As it is, if the terms being talked about in today's papers are right, it is going to be very thin gruel to offer up.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Neither side looks particularly good at dealing with its weaknesses.

Leave needs an answer to "what comes next?" The likelihood of a consensus in the Leave camp on that is practically nil.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    'No Blacks No Irish No Dogs'. Many of us will not be surprised to know that Enoch Powell lives in the form of the Tory Home Secretary Theresa May.

Congratulations to Andy Burnham for drawing the public's attention to this latest insidious piece of Tory legislation. Just a pity labour are in such disarray they haven't the confidence to put their case more strongly. Theresa May is a throwback to a Tory Party some even believed had changed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-rent-scheme-risks-discriminating-against-immigrants-warns-andy-burnham-a6689311.htm

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2015
    Wasn't it under Stuart Rose's watch that M&S decided to close their flagship store in Paris?

Not a great advertisement surely for the advantages of remaining within the EU.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Well, I want to STAY and like Mr M I think there needs to be a front man, although as I’ve said before I’m not sure who appointed Rose to the job.
    However, whoever did, it’s vitally important that they get on with it and get a decent team together. At the moment OUT is making most, if not all the noise, and a lot more local, on the ground, effort is needed to make sure we don’t go back to the 50’s.

As tig86 points out, a vote to sta in means a vote to proceed with the Great European Parnership. When one thinks of te wars that have been fought on our continent, the idea that we can all work together is an ideal, and a rea, and very positive,l change in the European mindset. For the leaders anyway.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @LeslieSkipper: Political party with two parliamentarians splits in half. https://t.co/5MCYqEpGTT
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

'No Blacks No Irish No Dogs'. Many of us will not be surprised to know that Enoch Powell lives in the form of the Tory Home Secretary Theresa May.

Congratulations to Andy Burnham for drawing the public's attention to this latest insidious piece of Tory legislation. Just a pity labour are in such disarray they haven't the confidence to put their case more strongly. Theresa May is a throwback to a Tory Party some even believed had changed

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-rent-scheme-risks-discriminating-against-immigrants-warns-andy-burnham-a6689311.htm

Every t thing in life is dicriminatory one way or another.. we should take to court supremacy builders because they price them beyond my pocket..
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    antifrank said:

@LeslieSkipper: Political party with two parliamentarians splits in half. https://t.co/5MCYqEpGTT

They've got nothing on UKIP ;)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2015
    On the terms under discussion today I have real difficulty with the concept of exemption from the commitment to ever closer union.

I just see difficulties and conflict at every step. The members are marching along to harmonise taxes, social policy, fiscal policy, medical policy etc and this member is going off in a solo direction. One maverick in a club is not going to work without stresses, and if you don't believe and are not committed why be in the club?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: pre-race piece up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/russia-pre-race.html

Sainz is out of hospital and wants to race. Remains to be seen whether he will or not.
  • Options
    The case for STAY in two words: Nigel Farage.

The case for QUIT in two words: Stuart Rose.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. Abroad, 'tis a silly way to vote.

Edited extra bit: Mascara Man plays the race card:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34498836
  • Options
    Surely the European ambition is about being inclusive. Why then choose an archetypal Tory businessman and a member of the HoL to boot? Does anyone know who is behind this bizarre appointment?

If they'd wanted a Tory surely someone like Heseltine would have been a better choice. A respected elder statesman and one with the overwhelming gratitude of the country for ridding it of our worst nightmare.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Heseltine had nothing to do with getting rid of the clown EdM..
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Roger said:

Surely the European ambition is about being inclusive. Why then choose an archetypal Tory businessman and a member of the HoL to boot? Does anyone know who is behind this bizarre appointment?

If they'd wanted a Tory surely someone like Heseltine would have been a better choice. A respected elder statesman and one with the overwhelming gratitude of the country for ridding it of our worst nightmare.

Heseltine, respected ?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Clearly A Rose By Any Other Name Required.

My wife sat next to Stuart at dinner years ago.

He has a very large stock of the filthiest limericks imaginable...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    Roger said:

The first paragraph is very good!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Jonathan said:

But which represents "change"? "Ever closer Union" or a "common market"?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Roger said:

Surprised Corbyn hasn't recommended Gerry Adams for the role - he has a long history campaigning to unite nations.
  • Options
    Andrew Rawnsley on the Remain campaign

"They can also call on big figures from across the mainstream parties – Michael Heseltine, Tony Blair, Nick Clegg among them – to put their case."

I would think that bunch would hand most swing voters to Leave.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/campaign-to-stay-in-europe-wrapped-in-union-jack
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jameskirkup: The IN Campaign has renamed itself Britain Stronger in Europe, so presumably BSE. Perhaps not the happiest acronym.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Change is great.

Providing that you can convincingly demonstrate it is an improvement on the status quo

Tories don't believe in permanent revolution
  • Options
    We should appoint someone who likes to zig zag around Europe for two weeks every year on holiday... good innit..and of course we could still do that even if we had left the EU.
    I spend more time queuing at toll booths than I ever did at border crossings
  • Options

At the moment OUT is making most, if not all the noise, and a lot more local, on the ground, effort is needed to make sure we don’t go back to the 50’s.

Why do you think a vote for Out is a return to the 50s?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jameskirkup: The IN Campaign has renamed itself Britain Stronger in Europe, so presumably BSE. Perhaps not the happiest acronym.

Oh dear. The first thing to do is surely check the acronym!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited October 2015
    The more significant problem is the way the 'Stay' campaign seems to be shaping up to conduct itself. It's going to campaign, as far as I can judge, on the cold, hard facts of whether or not we would be better off outside the EU (which we probably wouldn't be, incidentally). Meanwhile, the Out lot have already begun appealing to visceral, gut instinct about national sovereignty and sinister European superstates fostering uncontrollable migration.

As we saw with painful clarity in Scotland, cold hard facts may win you the referendum, but a complete lack of passion will lose you the wider war. The 'No' campaign almost made it sound like Scotland couldn't cope on its own, and people began to see them as traitors. The 'Yes' campaign's claims may have had all the credibility of one of Jeffrey Archer's fictional works (or his court statements) but there was no doubting their commitment to Scotland and the Scottish people. That is how Alistair Darling won the debate and the referendum late last year, and saw the Liberal Democrats and Labour forfeit 50 of their 52 seats in Scotland this year. They made the union seem necessary, but not something actually loveable (if anything, something to be actively hated while used for personal gain) - a very great mistake.

Could we see the same thing happen over Europe? Possibly - but if so with the example of Scotland, and to a lesser extent Corbyn's win, the 'Stay' campaign will have no excuse. They need to appeal to emotion as well as reason if they want to win - they need to make people feel good about themselves, and feel that Europe is a force for good that we all want, really want, to be part of. This is actually quite difficult for me to admit, because I am a great believer in human reason, but clearly reason in the age of social media is no longer enough on its own.

And to come back to the main point, Rose is not the man to do that for them. While his gravitas and business experience and links with the Conservatives are all useful, he has the charisma of a weighing machine and will certainly not fire people up with enthusiasm. They need a big hitter, somebody with real charm and appeal, to lead their campaign. The snag is, with Blair fundamentally discredited I don't know who it could be. Clarke would perhaps be the nearest, but he's a bit old.

EDIT - just a thought, but the man I would at least have tried to get, on reflection, is William Hague. He can't be accused of being unthinkingly pro-EU although he has drifted towards Europhilia over the years, he's a big name, a very effective speaker and although he wasn't a successful party leader he has the cachet of that and being a long-serving Foreign Secretary behind him. He would have been a much better man to be cheerleader for Europe - his past, apart from anything else, would have wrecked many of the 'Out' campaign's attack lines before they were even deployed.
  • Options
    When your opponents are busy spitting at you, it's hard not to think you are better than them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

That's a seriously good point. Surely to have true credibility, the leader of the "Stay" campaign needs to have cross-party support.
    It's difficult to imagine any circumstances in which Jeremy Corbyn or his acolytes would have endorsed the candidature of Lord Rose.

• Options
    ydoether. ..As you point out.. it is exactly the loss of sovereignty and the sinister way superstates are planning to force uncontrolled immigration that worries most people..
  • Options
    E=Why would Corbyn be interested in appointing anyone in the stay team..he wants to come out..
  • Options

Big Tobacco used EU rules to delay plain packaging

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/11/tobacco-eu-delay

Stories like this will make it harder for an orgnaisation headed by a big business guy to click with the public.
  • Options

"They can also call on big figures from across the mainstream parties – Michael Heseltine, Tony Blair, Nick Clegg among them – to put their case."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/campaign-to-stay-in-europe-wrapped-in-union-jack

That was my thought too!
  • Options
    Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    All they need now is for Mandelson to crawl out of the woodwork :-)
  • Options

ydoether. ..As you point out.. it is exactly the loss of sovereignty and the sinister way superstates are planning to force uncontrolled immigration that worries most people..

Yes - and it's not going to be successfully countered by the points that actually, Britain has much lower immigration than most of the rest of the EU, or that we still have veto over most of the key decisions, even though both are true. It just makes the people who are putting those lines look complacent.

If they put a positive case - that I (for example) and for that matter hundreds of other people benefitted from having a very hard-working and honest plumber from Lodz in my hometown after all the British plumbers had moved to more profitable areas, or that while creeping loss of veto is a worry, while we are in the EU we can still force changes to the rules to make them better for Britain (as Norway, for example, cannot, even though most EU decisions are ultimately binding on it as well) that would be far more helpful. That wouldn't convert diehard Eurosceptics, but it would encourage the swing voters to feel happier about the EU.

I worry that what we'll have from a campaign led by the likes of Rose is a reluctant endorsement of the EU and a huge residual bitterness, much as there is in Scotland now.

(PS - I am still undecided as to how I will vote, and have been tending to Leave. However, I expect Yes to win, and I want it therefore to be a victory that doesn't sour British politics and society for 40 years to come.)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    I'd like Tony Blair to be the public face of Remain.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    Nah, Nick Clegg. Too many Tories still respect Tony Blair...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The mad cows of the IN campaign.....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Don't worry a photogenic celebrity is more important than the endorsement of Blair, Brown & Major.

June Sarpong and 3 former PMs back campaign to keep Britain in the EU http://bit.ly/1OtJCkU
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Don't worry a photogenic celebrity is more important than the endorsement of Blair, Brown & Major.

June Sarpong and 3 former PMs back campaign to keep Britain in the EU http://bit.ly/1OtJCkU

Who is June Sarpong? (That's a serious question, I've never heard of her.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Ex TV type turned Labour luvvie.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Ydoethur - a big hitter with charm, appeal and the ability to put a case that speaks to people's hearts as well as minds? How about the PM?

I do wonder whether Rose's appointment is simply to allow someone to make the running during the negotiations when the PM can't commit to either side, for tactical reasons.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    Has to be Blair. 45 minutes to save the EU etc.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

How long until Bono and Eddie Izzard jump in ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Like you I've no idea.

However, how long will the Comments remain open for on Nick Cohen's piece on Tom Watson's failings.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/deserved-downfall-tom-watson-leon-brittan
  • Options

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Or Garry Glitter.
  • Options
    F1: just a reminder the race starts at the earlier than usual time of midday rather than 1pm.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Fortunately the Central University Newcastle upon Tyne did....

On topic the PM can't stand aside from this like he did in SindyRef - either he's got a deal to sell, or he's failed and should be leading leave.
  • Options

Ydoethur - a big hitter with charm, appeal and the ability to put a case that speaks to people's hearts as well as minds? How about the PM?

I do wonder whether Rose's appointment is simply to allow someone to make the running during the negotiations when the PM can't commit to either side, for tactical reasons.

Hague would be better - apart from anything else, I think he's actually, despite everything, a more effective campaigner and speaker than Cameron is, and he's not got boring stuff like running the country to distract him. That way, Cameron could be kept back for maximum impact near the end.

Rose, as you say, may be the stop-gap for Cameron - but Rose won't build sufficient momentum for staying in, so the 'Stay' campaign might have to deploy Cameron too early, dividing the government and leaving the country without strong leadership for a while.

Incidentally, off-topic but I did find this about the relevance and sophisticated campaigning techniques of the current Labour party quite funny:

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/spittle-is-the-only-thing-labour-has-left/
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

" Lord Rose said those who want to leave the EU of "fantasyland" economics and called their claims that Britain would thrive outside "bravado, not patriotism".

He warned that leaving the union would cost every family £3,000 a year"

What is it with the number 3?
    First it was 3 million jobs, now it's £3k
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

" Lord Rose said those who want to leave the EU of "fantasyland" economics and called their claims that Britain would thrive outside "bravado, not patriotism".

£3000 a year - bargain !
  • Options
    edited October 2015

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

:smiley:

Unfortunately, the department briefly and memorably named the department of Productivity, ENergy and InduStry didn't...
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, it can actually be very difficult to come up with amusing acronyms that fit what they're meant to be. Making one by accident is most impressive.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, it can actually be very difficult to come up with amusing acronyms that fit what they're meant to be. Making one by accident is most impressive.

One of the best was Federation of University Conservative and Unionist Associations.

• Options
    @politicshome: Keith Vaz: Home Affairs Committee "want to hear" from Tom Watson over abuse allegations. http://t.co/cqdrOzNecs http://t.co/tunkyxgzqj
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

On topic the PM can't stand aside from this like he did in SindyRef - either he's got a deal to sell, or he's failed and should be leading leave.
    I know, CUNUT is an awful word.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

:smiley:

Unfortunately, the department briefly and memorably named the department of Productivity, ENergy and InduStry didn't...
    This brings up memories of government departments having totally unrelated branding. The uniform theme they have now is simple, effective, and actually quite nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    So it could become illegal to rent property to an illegal immigrant..who is illegally in the country.. makes sense..shouldn't that illegal immigrant be deported ..If they can rent houses and therefore stay here then why do we label them as illegal...it seems they have same rights of residency as everyone else..They would not be able to rent in Italy...too many police checks
  • Options

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Eddie Izzard yes please. oh deep joy.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    I suspect that Stuart Rose was thought of as a suitable kind of cross party candidate. The problem with a professional politician (or at least one of the problems) is that they come with a party affiliation which might alienate as many as it attracts; a lot more, obviously, if your name is Nigel Farage.

I am genuinely undecided about this EU nonsense but I fear that the debate is going to do nothing to enlighten me one way or the other. From one side we will have fantasies of 3m unemployed and economic ruin and from the other fantasies of us getting whatever treaties and trade relations we want along with a whole lot of emotional guff.

My suspicion is that life outside the EU would be remarkably similar to life inside it with the EU impinging on my life to a similar extent by the application of EU standards from what would still be our largest single market. In either scenario I suspect I would have to search hard to find a difference and I doubt I could be bothered. A coherent and realistic plan for life outside the EU would probably get my vote but so would a sensible package from Cameron protecting us from EZ dominance. I fear I will not get either.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I suspect that Stuart Rose was thought of as a suitable kind of cross party candidate. The problem with a professional politician (or at least one of the problems) is that they come with a party affiliation which might alienate as many as it attracts; a lot more, obviously, if your name is Nigel Farage.

I am genuinely undecided about this EU nonsense but I fear that the debate is going to do nothing to enlighten me one way or the other. From one side we will have fantasies of 3m unemployed and economic ruin and from the other fantasies of us getting whatever treaties and trade relations we want along with a whole lot of emotional guff.

My suspicion is that life outside the EU would be remarkably similar to life inside it with the EU impinging on my life to a similar extent by the application of EU standards from what would still be our largest single market. In either scenario I suspect I would have to search hard to find a difference and I doubt I could be bothered. A coherent and realistic plan for life outside the EU would probably get my vote but so would a sensible package from Cameron protecting us from EZ dominance. I fear I will not get either.

I'm afraid so, there will be more heat than light in the next 2 years.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

I believe Bono has a position of not getting involved in any political issue other than economic development, as it offends potential allies on that issue. He refused to take a position on the Iraq War despite heavy pressure to do so.
  • Options
    JEO said:

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

I believe Bono has a position of not getting involved in any political issue other than economic development, as it offends potential allies on that issue. He refused to take a position on the Iraq War despite heavy pressure to do so.
    given Bono's tax arrangements this falls under economic development.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

It seems like in Remain campaign is going down the scaremongering route. Saying the UK could not economically succeed on its own is just doing down Britain in my opinion.

If those of us on the fence are going to be persuaded we want to hear a positive argument for the EU, including how its deficiencies will be addressed.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Roger said:

You moved to the posh end of France because of Heseltine? Really?
  • Options

JEO said:

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Bono is tax resident in Ireland.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

His companies pay taxes in the Netherlands.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Large enough to be meaningful.

Small enough to be plausible.

For instance £1K people might say "painful, but I can manage that" and £9K is approx 40% of average income so doesn't sound realistic
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    Having a bit of a laugh on a Sunday morning is OK and fine.... but surely Charles you do realise you must do that the public is not so cynical and twisted as the average PB outer. With the exception of the migrant issue which I think is pretty well embedded in the public's mind I think the whole EU is a broad based mystery to most.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

For instance £1K people might say "painful, but I can manage that" and £9K is approx 40% of average income so doesn't sound realistic
    with 25 millionish households in the UK the Remains are saying leaving will cost around £72 billion net.or around 5% of GDP. That doesn't look terribly plausible.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Stories like this will make it harder for an orgnaisation headed by a big business guy to click with the public.

I said last week that they'd have to be careful if picking a big business guy, as they wouldn't want to choose someone from a sector that benefiited from cheap Eastern European labour.

Then they go and pick a man from retail. Rose is talented, but how long before people ask what the share of the workforce of M&S, Topshop, Argos etc is British?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That's my logic as well, which leads me to "Out"

Economically we're going to do just fine outside the EU.

And we will have control of our own destiny.

The last 12 months have been eye-opening. In situation after situation we've proposed practical and common sense solutions to problems that Europe is facing. But the EU just isn't interested in listening to us. That's fine - but I don't want to be part of a club where we aren't listened to.
  • Options

Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

with 25 millionish households in the UK the Remains are saying leaving will cost around £72 billion net.or around 5% of GDP. That doesn't look terribly plausible.
    Wait, isn't that the SNP's oil revenue projections from last year?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It all reminds me of the Enron black box theory for both sides - 'we know it works, but can't tell you why...' :wink:

Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    Having a bit of a laugh on a Sunday morning is OK and fine.... but surely Charles you do realise you must do that the public is not so cynical and twisted as the average PB outer. With the exception of the migrant issue which I think is pretty well embedded in the public's mind I think the whole EU is a broad based mystery to most.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Exactly.
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

The last 12 months have been eye-opening. In situation after situation we've proposed practical and common sense solutions to problems that Europe is facing. But the EU just isn't interested in listening to us. That's fine - but I don't want to be part of a club where we aren't listened to.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    edited October 2015
    dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Like you I've no idea.

However, how long will the Comments remain open for on Nick Cohen's piece on Tom Watson's failings.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/11/deserved-downfall-tom-watson-leon-brittan
    June Sarpong.

Minor personality on Children's TV about 2-3 decades ago?

She revolutionised political blogging with a site called Politics and the City which was pink and full of dull witted celebs whose opinions we all cared about. It still dominates the media which is why we have all heard of her.

You will probably see her as a guest judge on Episode 28 of Viva's version of bake off.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why would it be interested in using any acronyms rather than the words of its message?
  • Options
    JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

It seems like in Remain campaign is going down the scaremongering route. Saying the UK could not economically succeed on its own is just doing down Britain in my opinion.

If those of us on the fence are going to be persuaded we want to hear a positive argument for the EU, including how its deficiencies will be addressed.
    Project Fear appears to be their MO.
    The EU can do some good things e.g roaming fees.
    It's the direction of travel that puts me in the leave camp.
  • Options
    JEO said:

I said last week that they'd have to be careful if picking a big business guy, as they wouldn't want to choose someone from a sector that benefiited from cheap Eastern European labour.

Then they go and pick a man from retail. Rose is talented, but how long before people ask what the share of the workforce of M&S, Topshop, Argos etc is British?
    Yes, I agree, the Remain side is at risk of being fronted by big business types who have a vested interest in multinationalism.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Which brings us back to the irreconcilable concept of ever closer union. If they are adopting it and we are not the incompatibility grows.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

Indeed. I would like to see these figures that get thrown around challenged/justified.
  • Options
    OT. Does anyone have any research into whether the British public as opposed to the politicians are in support of the Russian action in Syria? France is one of the most stridently anti Russian involement countries around if one listens to the news but anecdotally the support for it seems to be total.

Some of this may be Islamaphobia which is very prevalent around here but nontheless all I hear are people who want the Russians to bomb "THEM" to pieces.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

Wait, isn't that the SNP's oil revenue projections from last year?
    Nah much too low, Scotland has a GDP bigger than China before Westminster steals it all.
  • Options

Roger said:

Every t thing in life is dicriminatory one way or another.. we should take to court supremacy builders because they price them beyond my pocket..
    Burnham is not off to a good start is he?
  • Options
    JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

The smart people at Vote Leave know all about Project Fear from Scotland and because they wrote some of it in the anti-AV campaign!
  • Options

Charles said:

That was my thought too!
    I agree. But they trust Blair and Clegg about as far as they could throw them. And they will assume they are selling a crock as a result.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    I see Burnham is making a fool of himself again.

With a housing shortage, voters are not going to be impressed with the idea that it is ok for people will no right to live in the UK having unfettered access to accommodation.

Another fail for Burnham.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

The smart people at Vote Leave know all about Project Fear from Scotland and because they wrote some of it in the anti-AV campaign!
    Good morning all. I said it ages ago; we're going to see a re-run of 'too wee, too poor, too stupid'.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

TGOHF said:

ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

For some things.
  • Options

Charles said:

dr_spyn said:

Voters don't do big numbers