Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI boost for Boris in the Cameron successor stakes

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Do you know if they are planning to replace it? I would see no reason why India could not afford to buy and run a decommissioned Nimitz class (or build their own if the US won't sell).

It would be interesting if they see no need to do so despite being in a far more fractious part of the world, with actual ongoing border conflicts including with an actual bone fide super power.

I see they still fly Harriers as well.

They purchased the former Soviet carrier Baku and put her in commission as Vikramaditya in 2013, and there are at least two indigenous carrier under construction, including a namesake of Vikrant, India's first LCV, which was purchased in 1957 and decommissioned in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikrant-class_aircraft_carrier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikrant_(R11)
    So they're actually building a more realistic 40k tonner while the admirals dream of a 65k. Admirals dreams eh, lucky no sensible politician will give in to them and actually build such a white elephant.

Or two :disappointed:

It does show that despite being in an active military zone, the Indian naval ambition is so much less than that which the UK is wasting money on.

HMS Ocean remains the best decision the Navy has made in the last 50 years. Yet it's still a single class of one with nothing remotely similar on the horizon. Cost £150m.
    HMS Ocean is an amphibious landing ship, built to 'commercial standards'.it carries landing craft and has a stern ramp.
    Are you sure? I've been on HMS Ocean it was the largest ship in the fleet I believe

Not was, it is the largest ship in the Royal Navy and will be for at least another two years.
    Thought so, surely can't be an amphibious landing craft at that size?

It carries some amphibious landing craft, and helicopters.
    Thought so, I know it was off Libya during the attacks, the Apaches were flying from it

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2015
    Scott_P said:

Roger said:

I was thinking of the costumes the Tory delegates might be wearing

Suits.

Yup, they will stand out a mile...
    Anyone remotely normal will stand out a mile in comparison to the knuckle dragging soap dodgers and Oxfam jacketed Labour supporters hell bent on causing trouble next week.

The new, gentler kind of politics. My arse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    y0kel was way ahead on this stuff. Dead Iranians, some quite senior, have been being shipped back to Iran for a long time.

Wonder where he gets his information from (at the very least he must be connected to a service like Stratfor or similar, but he seems even better-connected than that; I get the impression he sources a lot of information himself).
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2015
    Roger.. I know Manchester exceedingly well.. I shot Cracker and Royle Family there as well as many other drama series..and had an apartment there,near the Studios, for a long time...there are a lot of Tories in Manc
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Do you know if they are planning to replace it? I would see no reason why India could not afford to buy and run a decommissioned Nimitz class (or build their own if the US won't sell).

It would be interesting if they see no need to do so despite being in a far more fractious part of the world, with actual ongoing border conflicts including with an actual bone fide super power.

I see they still fly Harriers as well.

They purchased the former Soviet carrier Baku and put her in commission as Vikramaditya in 2013, and there are at least two indigenous carrier under construction, including a namesake of Vikrant, India's first LCV, which was purchased in 1957 and decommissioned in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikramaditya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikrant-class_aircraft_carrier

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikrant_(R11)
    So they're actually building a more realistic 40k tonner while the admirals dream of a 65k. Admirals dreams eh, lucky no sensible politician will give in to them and actually build such a white elephant.

Or two :disappointed:

It does show that despite being in an active military zone, the Indian naval ambition is so much less than that which the UK is wasting money on.

HMS Ocean remains the best decision the Navy has made in the last 50 years. Yet it's still a single class of one with nothing remotely similar on the horizon. Cost £150m.
    HMS Ocean is an amphibious landing ship, built to 'commercial standards'.it carries landing craft and has a stern ramp.
    Are you sure? I've been on HMS Ocean it was the largest ship in the fleet I believe
    Not was, it is the largest ship in the Royal Navy and will be for at least another two years.
    Thought so, surely can't be an amphibious landing craft at that size?
    It's not a landing ship, its an assault ship. It's a very flexible platform and has some ability for landing vehicle applications but predominantly looks to land troops by helicopter. It can function as a dedicated attack helicopter platform (although it's never been used in this role).

At £150m it was an absolute bargain and compared to the £4bn per cost of the QE/PC it just shows how profligate Labour were with the nations finances.

Ocean and the River Class demonstrate just how good the UK can be at naval procurement. Unfortunately the Daring, Astute and Queen Elizabeth classes also demonstrate how utterly wasteful we can also be.

The Type 26 Frigates could be quite good and cost effective but there is lots of potential for bloat.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2015
    The Migrants are coming!!!

Hundreds of RIOTING migrants force police to separate warring religious and ethnic groups
    A MASS brawl between more than 200 refugees erupted today as they used broken up chairs and beds to attack each other in a huge fight described by police as “extreme aggression”.
    “Officers in 50 vehicles rushed to the scene at the migrant camp in Hamburg to stop the warring groups and several people were treated in hospital.
    Politicians and police have now begun to separate the refugees in the district of Bergedorf in the port city along religions and ethnic lines.
    Reports in German media have suggested the fights were between Syrian and Afghan refugee groups.
    The shocking violence follows reports of a number of incidents in overcrowded camps in the country.
    Giessen is seen as the most shocking of those, where they have been reports of child sex assaults and rapes at a refugee centre.
    Women’s rights groups believe a significant number of sex assaults there are going unreported.
    Around 5,000 migrants are based at the camp, where campaigners say unaccompanied women are “fair game”.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/609241/RIOTING-migrants-force-police-separate-warring-religious-ethnic-groups

It's all our own fault. ;)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:
    y0kel was way ahead on this stuff. Dead Iranians, some quite senior, have been being shipped back to Iran for a long time.

Wonder where he gets his information from (at the very least he must be connected to a service like Stratfor or similar, but he seems even better-connected than that; I get the impression he sources a lot of information himself).
    There are a few UK based global risk and crisis management consultancies, with access to similar information.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MTimT said:

watford30 said:

MikeK said:

As if we haven't enough to worry about:
    City A.M. ‏@CityAM 22s22 seconds ago
    Mad cow disease #BSE found in dead Welsh cow on British farm http://dlvr.it/CKJRH6

'It did not enter the human food chain, and authorities said there was no risk to human health.'

Oh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34413649
    Er... normally the problem is that it could have spread to other cows.

The risk is very rarely cow #1 in particular.
    There is rarely a cow #1 in the normal epidemiological sense in that BSE is not contagious or infectious, rather it is spread in the cow population through contaminated feed. So my guess is that the field epidemiologists are diligently and rapidly tracking back the feed sources for this cow to see if this case is from a contaminated feed batch (in which case they will ascertain how big the batch was, how it got contaminated, what else (including processing equipment) might have been contaminated, and where else that batch of feed has gone) in order to take action accordingly.

Prions are very interesting. Apparently, we still don't know how they cross the brain blood barrier.
    However I remember the big outbreak of Mad Cow some decades ago. That also started with one cow, or was it a pair.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It's early days but the Eurosceptics are already managing to fall out with each other:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53b3a1c-680a-11e5-97d0-1456a776a4f5.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3nKkmwDz2

"The group [the Out campaign group] hopes to be designated as the official Out campaign, rather than a rival Ukip-led group called Leave. EU involving three businessmen: Richard Tice, Arron Banks and Jim Mellon.

The trio issued a statement saying Lord Lawson was a “has-been” and that it was wrong to suggest he was “leading” the Out campaign.

“He’s leading ‘A’ campaign that is run by the ‘Westminster bubble’ from SW1,” they said.

“When are these politicians going to learn that this campaign cannot we won from SW1. It has to appeal to the people, not the small clique of eurosceptic Tories.” "
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Boris is clearly more electable than Osborne and won London twice despite London voting Labour at general elections, the surprise perhaps that Livingstone lost not that Boris narrowly won. Had Burnham or Kendall or Cooper won Labour would have a chance against Osborne it would not against Boris. However they picked Corbyn so Osborne will likely win anyway as even Osborne had higher f avourables and net f avourables than Corbyn with Comres. Even if Hilary Benn replaces Corbyn it is more likely to be a case of modest progress for Labour than victory, as it was for the Tories in 2005 under Howard when polls showed even Gordon Brown would have won that election
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    antifrank said:

It's early days but the Eurosceptics are already managing to fall out with each other:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b53b3a1c-680a-11e5-97d0-1456a776a4f5.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3nKkmwDz2

"The group [the Out campaign group] hopes to be designated as the official Out campaign, rather than a rival Ukip-led group called Leave. EU involving three businessmen: Richard Tice, Arron Banks and Jim Mellon.

The trio issued a statement saying Lord Lawson was a “has-been” and that it was wrong to suggest he was “leading” the Out campaign.

“He’s leading ‘A’ campaign that is run by the ‘Westminster bubble’ from SW1,” they said.

“When are these politicians going to learn that this campaign cannot we won from SW1. It has to appeal to the people, not the small clique of eurosceptic Tories.” "

Shows they are more interested in Ukip than the referendum.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Shows they are more interested in Ukip than the referendum.

Well of course they are. If they don't own the Leave campaign, UKIP have much less chance of getting a post-referendum bounce.

Mind you, it is quite amusing to think that Mr Farage is probably going to be the second most important Nigel on the Leave side. He won't like that idea at all.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Guido notes an interesting irony about this.

http://order-order.com/2015/10/01/leave-eu-warn-this-cant-be-won-from-sw1-from-sw1/#:vxdmDxmp6BzmPA
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MikeK said:

MTimT said:

watford30 said:

MikeK said:

As if we haven't enough to worry about:
    City A.M. ‏@CityAM 22s22 seconds ago
    Mad cow disease #BSE found in dead Welsh cow on British farm http://dlvr.it/CKJRH6

'It did not enter the human food chain, and authorities said there was no risk to human health.'

Oh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-34413649
    Er... normally the problem is that it could have spread to other cows.

The risk is very rarely cow #1 in particular.
    There is rarely a cow #1 in the normal epidemiological sense in that BSE is not contagious or infectious, rather it is spread in the cow population through contaminated feed. So my guess is that the field epidemiologists are diligently and rapidly tracking back the feed sources for this cow to see if this case is from a contaminated feed batch (in which case they will ascertain how big the batch was, how it got contaminated, what else (including processing equipment) might have been contaminated, and where else that batch of feed has gone) in order to take action accordingly.

Prions are very interesting. Apparently, we still don't know how they cross the brain blood barrier.
    However I remember the big outbreak of Mad Cow some decades ago. That also started with one cow, or was it a pair.
    The problem was not the spread of the disease within the herd, but the fact that it took HMG nearly ten years to identify cow feed as the source and to take corrective action. See this timeline:

http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/1040/mad-cow-disease/timeline-mad-cow-disease-outbreaks#
  • Options
    My local paper , the Congleton Chronicle - has a weekly rant by Mr Grumpy ( yes he is).

I quote what hes says:
    "Do they really think the British public- even the dim ones who voted for him -want a pacifist namby-pamby, clueless half-wit going into political battle with the Germans or the French or a proper scrap with terrorists with no policies, no weapons and, frankly, no balls.

but, humour and mischief aside, this party is becoming a joke..."
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Boris is very popular in the Conservative Party, in the sense that people like him and he's a sell-out star at any events he appears in. I'm not sure that popularity in that sense translates a vote for him in a leadership campaign, however - even assuming that he gets into the final two presented by MPs to members.

He has a touch of the Lord Hailsham about him.
    Quintin Hailsham was my mentor when I was growing up. Boris isn't a bit like him.
    Since you knew him well, I defer to you, obviously.

I meant in the sense of the way that he tickled the Conservative party's erogenous zones but in practice was destined to perform the role of a fluffer.
    Boris is a jerk, a buffoon, an unfaithful, arrogant, wanker.

Hailsham was decent and thoughtful, if overly abrasive and intolerant of people he thought were to slow to keep up with his thinking. He didn't get the PM slot because MacMillan stitched him up - but equally, I don't think he would have been very good at the job to be quite honest.
    I've been re-reading Lord Hailsham's views on Homosexuality, Decent isn't the adjective I'd use. Though I acknowledge he was a man of his era.
    I don't recall the details, but I imagine they were "robust"!

That said, they were dervived from his faith - he was a theologian by training - and forged in the 1920s (inspired by the Victorian church). He was 60 before homosexuality was legalised. To judge him by the attitudes of today is unreasonable.

On a personal level, his brother was gay and open about it among his family and friends (it was obviously illegal at time so you needed to be discreet). And they had a fantastic and close relationship all their lives.
  • Options
    Why are there so many by-elections in Scotland tonight?

This is not a cue for jokes about Scottish diets and life expectancy.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    This is painful viewing. Jezza intv with LauraK on News at Ten
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gagq4HZzf_g

My local paper , the Congleton Chronicle - has a weekly rant by Mr Grumpy ( yes he is).

I quote what hes says:
    "Do they really think the British public- even the dim ones who voted for him -want a pacifist namby-pamby, clueless half-wit going into political battle with the Germans or the French or a proper scrap with terrorists with no policies, no weapons and, frankly, no balls.

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Boris is very popular in the Conservative Party, in the sense that people like him and he's a sell-out star at any events he appears in. I'm not sure that popularity in that sense translates a vote for him in a leadership campaign, however - even assuming that he gets into the final two presented by MPs to members.

Quintin Hailsham was my mentor when I was growing up. Boris isn't a bit like him.

I meant in the sense of the way that he tickled the Conservative party's erogenous zones but in practice was destined to perform the role of a fluffer.

Hailsham was decent and thoughtful, if overly abrasive and intolerant of people he thought were to slow to keep up with his thinking. He didn't get the PM slot because MacMillan stitched him up - but equally, I don't think he would have been very good at the job to be quite honest.
    I've been re-reading Lord Hailsham's views on Homosexuality, Decent isn't the adjective I'd use. Though I acknowledge he was a man of his era.

That said, they were dervived from his faith - he was a theologian by training - and forged in the 1920s (inspired by the Victorian church). He was 60 before homosexuality was legalised. To judge him by the attitudes of today is unreasonable.

On a personal level, his brother was gay and open about it among his family and friends (it was obviously illegal at time so you needed to be discreet). And they had a fantastic and close relationship all their lives.
    Remind me what his faith said about divorce and was he ever divorced ? :innocent face:

Hogg appeared before the Wolfenden Committee to discuss homosexuality. The historian Patrick Higgins said that he used it as "an opportunity to express his disgust". He stated "The instinct of mankind to describe homosexual acts as "unnatural" is not based on mere prejudice" and that homosexuals were corrupting and "a proselytising religion".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintin_Hogg,_Baron_Hailsham_of_St_Marylebone
  • Options

The best slogans for leave should be either

1) Better out than in

Or

2) I'm a beLeaver.

You are Sunil and I claim my £5
    "I want to break free!"
  • Options

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gagq4HZzf_g

I quote what hes says:

Doesn't he look tired. And very old. He's not going to last the course.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    anti frank

Because so many SNP MPs were elected in May and were previously councillors!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Why are there so many by-elections in Scotland tonight?

This is not a cue for jokes about Scottish diets and life expectancy.

Purely for us to see if Corbyn is Malleus Nattorum, the Scots are wonderful like that.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    Doddy

"Roger.. I know Manchester exceedingly well.. I shot Cracker and Royle Family there as well as many other drama series.."

I'm sure I will have met you at some point. I used to go to the film exchange and the bar at St Johns and I did a few ads for Granada so I guess we both worked with lee lighting ....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    FPT

Not just that, but if we had no moon, the sun's gravitational effect would cause significant tides.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tide.html#stid

I've been reading a very old novel called 'The Kings Own' (wouldn't bother), and one of the more interesting aspects of the novel is when the author just goes off into essays on other topics. One of these being that vast amounts more people die under the full moon. Like it saps more energy. I know the full moon has long had a bad reputation, and I wonder whether this is the reason? And I also wonder whether it's still true.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Jim Callaghan: "We used to think that you could spend your way out of a recession, and increase employ­ment by cutting taxes and boosting Government spending. I tell you in all candour that that option no longer exists, and that in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion since the war by injecting a bigger dose of infla­tion into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step. Higher inflation followed by higher unemployment. We have just escaped from the highest rate of inflation this country has known; we have not yet escaped from the consequences: high unemployment.

That is the history of the last 20 years. Each time we did this the twin evils of unemployment and inflation have hit hardest those least able to stand them. Not those with the strongest bargaining power, no, it has not hit those. It has hit the poor, the old and the sick."
  • Options
    Omg this is worse than sticking your bits into a dead pig's mouth

@guardian: Kerry McCarthy: 'David Cameron was a Phil Collins obsessive' http://t.co/iiICDnPikx
  • Options
    Roger don't let it be a worry...you will get over it..
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

I quote what hes says:

Show that to the white working class Labour voters. Will go down like a cold bucket of sick.
  • Options
    New politics :wink:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11903738/New-trade-union-movement-founded-by-Conservatives.html
    Trade union members who are fed up with "militant" leaders are to be wooed by a new movement set up by the Conservatives.

Conservative-minded trade unionists will be given a "voice" in the new Conservative Workers and Trade Union Movement, its deputy chairman Rob Halfon has promised. Mr Halfon, the MP for Harlow, told The House magazine: "There will be a voice for moderate trade unionists who feel they may have sympathy with the Conservatives."
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited October 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Jim Callaghan: "We used to think that you could spend your way out of a recession, and increase employ­ment by cutting taxes and boosting Government spending. I tell you in all candour that that option no longer exists, and that in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion since the war by injecting a bigger dose of infla­tion into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step. Higher inflation followed by higher unemployment. We have just escaped from the highest rate of inflation this country has known; we have not yet escaped from the consequences: high unemployment.

That is the history of the last 20 years. Each time we did this the twin evils of unemployment and inflation have hit hardest those least able to stand them. Not those with the strongest bargaining power, no, it has not hit those. It has hit the poor, the old and the sick."

I'm sure that a large part of that quote was used by an Exam Board for A level Economics.
  • Options
    Watford

"Doesn't he look tired. And very old. He's not going to last the course."

I'm sure he'll die on screen then you can finally be satisfied
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

I quote what hes says:

Show that to the white working class Labour voters. Will go down like a cold bucket of sick.
    An interesting approach to suggest people did not really mean it when they voted Conservative by saying in essence that they did not realise what that meant. Now, I personally accept that just because people vote for a party does not mean they fully support every policy that party might propose or enact, but it's even less valid to dismiss the votes of another party as not really being meant - how can that be proven?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,562
    dr_spyn said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sure that a large part of that quote was used by an Exam Board for A level Economics.
    It should be page 1 of the history curriculum.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Remind me what his faith said about divorce and was he ever divorced ? :innocent face:

Hogg appeared before the Wolfenden Committee to discuss homosexuality. The historian Patrick Higgins said that he used it as "an opportunity to express his disgust". He stated "The instinct of mankind to describe homosexual acts as "unnatural" is not based on mere prejudice" and that homosexuals were corrupting and "a proselytising religion".

His first marriage was annulled if that's what you're referring to?
  • Options

FPT

Not just that, but if we had no moon, the sun's gravitational effect would cause significant tides.

I've been reading a very old novel called 'The Kings Own' (wouldn't bother), and one of the more interesting aspects of the novel is when the author just goes off into essays on other topics. One of these being that vast amounts more people die under the full moon. Like it saps more energy. I know the full moon has long had a bad reputation, and I wonder whether this is the reason? And I also wonder whether it's still true.

My yoga teacher cuts down the activity and pace of classes at new moon... So at the end of a class I am only exhausted and not half dead as at the end of the normal class.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

I quote what hes says:

Show that to anyone with half a brain and they will see a man who is utterly unfit to lead a major political party - and yet Labour elected him. No-one else will.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

New politics :wink:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11903738/New-trade-union-movement-founded-by-Conservatives.html

Trade union members who are fed up with "militant" leaders are to be wooed by a new movement set up by the Conservatives.

Conservative-minded trade unionists will be given a "voice" in the new Conservative Workers and Trade Union Movement, its deputy chairman Rob Halfon has promised. Mr Halfon, the MP for Harlow, told The House magazine: "There will be a voice for moderate trade unionists who feel they may have sympathy with the Conservatives."
    What do we want?

Lower pay!

When do we want it?

As soon as possible, please George.
  • Options

Omg this is worse than sticking your bits into a dead pig's mouth

@guardian: Kerry McCarthy: 'David Cameron was a Phil Collins obsessive' http://t.co/iiICDnPikx

Su-su-sunil-oooo!
    Su-su-sunil-o!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Watford

"Doesn't he look tired. And very old. He's not going to last the course."

I'm sure he'll die on screen then you can finally be satisfied

Hoping for the demise of politicians is traditionally the preserve of those on the Left. Try not to project your own characteristics onto others.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Divorced to all sources I've read

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2001/oct/15/guardianobituaries.conservatives
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited October 2015
    Evening all. I have a big lay on Boris from the day after the election, when he briefly came in almost to evens.

I just can't see either the MPs or the Members voting for him as Leader and potential PM. Wrong personality for that job (as opposed to mayor) and undoubtedly a few skeletons hiding in the closet that would come out during the campaign.

Osborne I still think wants to hold the Madleson role, but it's too early to rule him out completely; if DC leaves on his own terms with a good economy, GO must be a possibility.
  • Options
    TimT

"Smacks of laughable naiveté a la Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks!"

Great clip. If you want a guaranteed laugh watch the 5th ad after the Guardian one I posted. (Norwegian airlines or similar)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

FPT

Unless I'm missing something (quite possible), the link doesn't say that?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

FPT

It's because it brings out the dark side in mass murderers etc!

One of my mates who is an alcoholic in AA reckons his parents used to keep a diary of his mad drinking and the worst times were always full moons

Awoooooo!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

I read an article a while back that said viagra has destroyed the employment for fluffers.

Just thought I'd share that.

Not on the Underground it hasn't:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluffer_(London_Underground)

:)
  • Options
    Pong

"What do we want?

Lower pay!

When do we want it?

As soon as possible, please George."

LOL!!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Eagles, and yet it's Labour who are in a land of confusion.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And there is some truth in this in Callaghan's day.

Today, however, the influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation in a globalised economy is virtually zero.
  • Options
    Just back from a day out in the Northern Powerhouse. Some places of interest to visit for anyone attending the Conservative Party Conference:

1. Portico Library (Mosley Street)
    2. John Rylands Library (Deansgate)
    3. Manchester's Hidden Gem, St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church (Mulberry Street)

Manchester is a massive building site at the moment - hard hat recommended!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Wales v Fiji...

'' that must have been good for the neutral"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    For those recently lost in space, Ms Thomson used to be a party darling - founder of Business for Scotland, Edinburgh West MP and the SNP’s business spokeswoman at Westminster.

Then it turned out her business model was snapping up homes from skint souls on the cheap, and the solicitor she instructed was struck off for potentially facilitating mortgage fraud.

After a weekend exposé, Mrs T quit the SNP whip and the cops are now having a gander.

Before you could say “establishment cover-up”, Kezia Dugdale asked if anyone in the SNP had known about the ugly foundations of Ms Thomson’s £1.7m property empire.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/viewpoint/13798382.FMQs_sketch__profit_and_dross/
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Just back from a day out in the Northern Powerhouse. Some places of interest to visit for anyone attending the Conservative Party Conference:

Hard hat recommended,indeed if the protesters are out in force.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Donald Trump seems to have U-turned over Syrian refugees.
  • Options

I want to go some time soon. Either there or Liverpool.

**Eyes rail routes on the Rail Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland**
  • Options
    Conflicted as to whether to watch this week's QT or Under the Skin (starring Scarlet J) at 10.45 on Film4 tonight....
  • Options
    "Conflicted as to whether to watch this week's QT or Under the Skin (starring Scarlet J) at 10.45 on Film4 tonight.... "

If you haven't seen it 'Under the Skin' is a must see......
  • Options
    Roger said:

TimT

"Smacks of laughable naiveté a la Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks!"

Great clip. If you want a guaranteed laugh watch the 5th ad after the Guardian one I posted. (Norwegian airlines or similar)

Will do. Thanks
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Donald Trump seems to have U-turned over Syrian refugees.

Donald who?
  • Options
    Cup of cold sick, anyone? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11905514/Could-Jeremy-Corbyn-do-a-Nick-Clegg-on-tuition-fees.html
    Jeremy Corbyn has shelved his plans to scrap tuition fees amid mounting concerns that he could be forced to backtrack on one of his key policies.

The Labour leader pledged during the Labour leadership campaign that he would raise £10billion through higher taxes so he could end fees and restore grants. However it yesterday emerged that the issue will now be consulted on more widely with the party, prompting fears that it could be significantly watered down.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

Yes Manchester is a massive building site, Jayfdee junior is a civil engineer/design manager, based in Manchester, he is hot property at the moment, just not enough Chartered Civ Eng to go round.
    Makes a change from 2009/10 when construction was in the Doldrums.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    So in addition to wanting to reduce our army, abandon our nuclear deterrent and give away British territory, Corbyn now thinks the biggest concern to the British public isn't a problem.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

The MOSI or the Science Museum has a Beyer-Garrett and an interesting collection of planes including the English Electric P1A. It is worth a visit, but to be honest the museum does need to improve its displays.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mrs Bucket

"Just back from a day out in the Northern Powerhouse. Some places of interest to visit for anyone attending the Conservative Party Conference:........."

And a few good restaurants

Australasia-Deansgate
    Tattu-Off deansgate
    San Carlo-King St West
    Room

Arty alternatives ....

Dimitris
    Cornerhouse

Cheap alternatives for SPADS

Anything in the Northern Quarter ie The Market Restaurant
  • Options

Cup of cold sick, anyone? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11905514/Could-Jeremy-Corbyn-do-a-Nick-Clegg-on-tuition-fees.html

Jeremy Corbyn has shelved his plans to scrap tuition fees amid mounting concerns that he could be forced to backtrack on one of his key policies.

The Labour leader pledged during the Labour leadership campaign that he would raise £10billion through higher taxes so he could end fees and restore grants. However it yesterday emerged that the issue will now be consulted on more widely with the party, prompting fears that it could be significantly watered down.
    How would shelving it not be a backtrack?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

It's a great interview IMO and exactly what I voted for - principled, calm and clear. Eye of the beholder in both our cases...
  • Options

Conflicted as to whether to watch this week's QT or Under the Skin (starring Scarlet J) at 10.45 on Film4 tonight....

You would be better recording Under the Skin so it can be watched back on a frame by frame basis.
  • Options
    JEO..Seems the British electorate were completely misled by those dastardly Tories...Corbyn is a total joke..how can any decent Labour MP put up with his bullshit...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916

Go and see the original Liverpool and Manchester Railway terminus (at the industry museum, near the Beyer-Garratt IIRC) if you do anything there at all. Especially as it is reportedly under threat from a new Network Rail development (see Private Eye this week). I skived off my last Manc conference to spend a few hours there at the science and industry museum.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

It's a great interview IMO and exactly what I voted for - principled, calm and clear. Eye of the beholder in both our cases...
    Corbyn would be an utter disaster for me for sure, but he comes across well in interviews I think.
  • Options
    NP

"It's a great interview IMO and exactly what I voted for - principled, calm and clear. Eye of the beholder in both our cases..."

He seems pretty together to me. I've been impressed so far and I wouldn't have voted for him in a month of Sundays
  • Options
    ''how can any decent Labour MP put up with his bullshit...''

They will put up with it until it is tested in real elections with real voters.
  • Options
    Both Roger and NPXMPX2 think Corbyn is great...nuff said..
  • Options

While I appreciate his insistence there is a 'new' politics is routed in genuine desire for it to be so even if I think it is a bit fatuous, I have to say his rebuttal on the final point was rather weak. Sure, reaching consensus and discussing things in a party is a good idea, and hoping that if everyone is convinced at the end they will have much more drive and commitment at the end, but there is a middle ground between not leading and having a domineering leader who expects everyone to fall in line. The whole reason we have an executive is surely that sometimes you need decisions to be made quickly and decisively, you cannot afford to consult on everything, and that may be true with an opposition at times too. My biggest concern with Corbyn is he is inflexible, while trying to give an impression of flexibility to appear more reasonable. And what if the party doesn't come to a conclusion all can be happy with at the end of its debating every little thing and it's just wasted effort and focus on a lot of things (rather than the few major issues on which it would always be difficult to get agreement, or rather assent)? Will he be understanding then? I am skeptical of that. He would surely not deny he has been on the fringes of the party for decades, and I've yet to meet someone on the fringe happy to accept differences of opinion outside narrow parameters they set themselves. Fair play to him if he is the first.
  • Options
    taffys..By then it will be too late... Labour will be wiped out.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn would be an utter disaster for me for sure, but he comes across well in interviews I think.
    He does have a reassuring air about him, for all I found his explanation that people voting for Tories didn't realise what it meant insulting to those voters* (and baffling, since surely Labour told us all what a vote for the Tories would mean) and don't agree with many of his positions.

*As I voted LD (it was a close run thing though - I'd resolved to possibly even vote Green or UKIP for a laugh if they'd bothered or been able to even contact me - though I did speak to the UKIP candidate of my own initiative, seemed a decent chap) I don't get as much of that kind of insult, more a sense of pity.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2015
    Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

Today, however, the influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation in a globalised economy is virtually zero.
    The government's influence remains significant.

Imagine a tax raising government merrily slapping extra taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, petrol, council services, TV licences, fuel bills, sugar taxes, climate change levies etc.

We wouldn't have the noflation we have now, in spite of fuel and food price falls.

When inflation was running at 5% back in 2010/2011, the fuel duty escalator was still running, sin taxes were overflowing while the trebling of tuition fees was of some real significance.

The increase in tax allowances has also worked in lieu of gross pay rises, meaning workers' take home pay was rising, yet not pushing up goods and service costs.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Doddy-Says

"Both Roger and NPXMPX2 think Corbyn is great...nuff said.."

I thought Blair was great right up to Iraq. I think Corbyn is surprising and learning on the job. But certainly a pleasant personality and sincere which is something even close friends couldn't say about Cameron (well not with a straight face)
  • Options
    Shocking piece on ISIS on Ch4 News.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

The government's influence remains significant.

Imagine a tax raising government merrily slapping extra taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, petrol, council services, TV licences, fuel bills, sugar taxes, climate change levies etc.

We wouldn't have the noflation we have now, in spite of fuel and food price falls.

When inflation was running at 5% back in 2010/2011, the fuel duty escalator was still running, sin taxes were overflowing while the trebling of tuition fees was of some real significance.

The increase in tax allowances has also worked in lieu of gross pay rises, meaning workers' take home pay was rising, yet not pushing up goods and service costs.

That's a completely different argument. Probably best countered by saying "any competent government has no ability to influence inflation".

But that is still a canard.

The quote puts that Keynsian economics and boosting economic growth through deficit finance is Inflationary.

It is not. It has no impact whatsoever on inflation. It can, of course, lead to bankruptcy and Devaluation (the latter of which can be inflationary) but these are medium to long term outcomes. An economy like the UK could, theoretically, quite easily handle the 200% Debt to GDP ratio of Japan. So we are a long way from those impacts.

The bottom line is that Keynsian spending does not cause inflation any more.
  • Options
    Roger Corbyn is a sincere idiot.. I do not give a tinkers fuck about hIs sincerity... i do care about his casual and effin dangerous approach to the safety of the UK..The man is a total cretin and the Labour Party should hang its head in shame...
  • Options
    Lord Sugar 'We should all move to China if Corbyn becomes PM'

"If they ever got anywhere near electing him and him being the Prime Minister then I think we should all move to China or somewhere like that and let this place just rot...Lord Sugar believes Mr Khan stands a “very good chance” of replacing Boris Johnson as Mayor but expressed worries over this happening and Mr Corbyn getting into Downing Street.

On the Labour mayoral candidate, he said: “I don’t know the fellow and what he stands for but certainly if you want the market to stop then you’ve got Batman and Robin in those two. If they ever got into power that would create a lot of problems.”
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/lord-sugar-we-should-all-move-to-china-if-jeremy-corbyn-becomes-pm-a2986136.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GrinBins: I'd totally missed Michelle has been in the SNP since she was 16 yet Business for Scotland had no links to SNP.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2015
    Anyone doing a PB meetup? I remember going to one with fairly little known bloggers called Mike Smithson and Paul Staines about eight or nine years ago, maybe about twenty others attended. I suspect now it would fill up.
  • Options
    ''Roger Corbyn is a sincere idiot..''

What is 'sincere' about Corbyn?? his 'kinder way of doing politics' is a complete falsehood. Next week we will probably find out his way of doing politics is quite the reverse.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    notme said:

Anyone doing a PB meetup? I remember going to one with fairly little known bloggers called Mike Smithson and Paul Staines about eight or nine years ago, maybe about twenty others attended. I suspect now it would fill up.

Are you suggesting that Mr Smithson and Mr Staines have got fatter, or that the community has expanded?

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    taffys said:

''Roger Corbyn is a sincere idiot..''

What is 'sincere' about Corbyn?? his 'kinder way of doing politics' is a complete falsehood. Next week we will probably find out his way of doing politics is quite the reverse.

I hope your foot was wagging angrily when you wrote that.
  • Options
    @TSE

The divorce came first, then the annulment years later. But after the annulment the marriage never existed, so presumably the divorce didn't either... ;)

(He never spoke about his first wife. But then she did run off with a Frenchman...)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Omnium said:

notme said:

Are you suggesting that Mr Smithson and Mr Staines have got fatter, or that the community has expanded?

I should have said, I mean at Con Conference....
  • Options
    Roger said:

Doddy-Says

"Both Roger and NPXMPX2 think Corbyn is great...nuff said.."

I thought Blair was great right up to Iraq. I think Corbyn is surprising and learning on the job. But certainly a pleasant personality and sincere which is something even close friends couldn't say about Cameron (well not with a straight face)

What do you know about the close friends of anybody
  • Options

NP really! You know it's at best thin. All the big ideas are just what everyone comes up with when they're a student. I have no idea whether Corbyn will produce a coherent and joined-up set of thoughts, but he certainly hasn't yet.

It's great that you're enthusiastic about him, it's great that you see a vision, but I think you really have to own up to the fact that it's not a coherent whole at the moment. You are after all quite a practical politician, or at least that's the way you've always seemed to me.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet inflation rates around the world range from 90%+ in Venezuela to -0.9% in Portugal
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,970
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Charles said:

antifrank said:

Quite possibly, there are attitudes and beliefs that are regarded as orthodoxy today, that will be viewed with abhorrence in 50 or 60 years time.
  • Options
    notme said:

Omnium said:

notme said:

I should have said, I mean at Con Conference....
    Oh I wouldn't worry. I was of course just having a blame free dig at the establishment. In this instance the PB establishment is pretty free of censure, but one likes to keep one's hand in for less worthy establishments of the future.

• Options

I am amazed that anyone would want to watch any week's QT.
  • Options
    @MittRomney is trying to hit back at me because I'm saying that he let the Repub Party down w/ his loss to Obama. Should've won—he choked!
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    That's a completely different argument.
    Not in relation to your observation.
    Probably best countered by saying "any competent government has no ability to influence inflation".
    Just plain wrong.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@MittRomney is trying to hit back at me because I'm saying that he let the Repub Party down w/ his loss to Obama. Should've won—he choked!
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

If Trump is as clever as he thinks he is then he should rule himself out. If he's as thick as everyone else thinks he is then everyone else should rule him out.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    So far it is.
    Falklands to the Argentinians.
    Gib to the Spanish
    No Nuclear deterrent.
    No finger on the button.
    Negotiations with ISIS.
    ditto Hezbolah
    ditto Hamas.
    Praise for the bombers of the IRA The ones who killed and maimed UK citizens all over the country...maybe the citizens of Manchester can discuss this with him when he goes up there next week .
    Possible withdrawal from NATO
    Cancel the Trident replacements.
    ...and these are just a fw of his "Sincere" thoughts
    .This is the man who is now the leader of the Labour Party

Absolutely incredible..
    Why are the people who hate us, laughing like idiots..
  • Options

Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet inflation rates around the world range from 90%+ in Venezuela to -0.9% in Portugal
    I guess reading is beyond you.;

BUDGET BALANCE. It is pretty clear that running a Marxist economy will still have the same effect it always has, total destruction.

Pretty much every developed economy, regardless of deficit or surplus, has inflation rates within a very narrow band. Control of inflation is beyond the governments control in these countries within any reasonable parameter.