Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI boost for Boris in the Cameron successor stakes

124»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

@MittRomney is trying to hit back at me because I'm saying that he let the Repub Party down w/ his loss to Obama. Should've won—he choked!
    Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

If Trump is as clever as he thinks he is then he should rule himself out. If he's as thick as everyone else thinks he is then everyone else should rule him out.

There's a lot to dislike about Trump.

Maybe, but clearly a lot still like him as he still leads most GOP polls for the nomination even if he does rather less well in the general election
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    chestnut said:

That's a completely different argument.
    Not in relation to your observation.

Utter bollocks.

The original quote to which I replied was about Keynsian economic stimulus. A priori that means no tax hikes. Your counter was that an idiotic government could create inflation through tax hikes. It;s not only a different argument, it's entirely spurious.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Shocking piece on ISIS on Ch4 News.

Just watched on 4+1.

We may need Trident after all.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Dair said:

Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

Jim Callaghan: "We used to think that you could spend your way out of a recession, and increase employ­ment by cutting taxes and boosting Government spending. I tell you in all candour that that option no longer exists, and that in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion since the war by injecting a bigger dose of infla­tion into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step. Higher inflation followed by higher unemployment. We have just escaped from the highest rate of inflation this country has known; we have not yet escaped from the consequences: high unemployment.

That is the history of the last 20 years. Each time we did this the twin evils of unemployment and inflation have hit hardest those least able to stand them. Not those with the strongest bargaining power, no, it has not hit those. It has hit the poor, the old and the sick."

And there is some truth in this in Callaghan's day.

Today, however, the influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation in a globalised economy is virtually zero.
    And yet inflation rates around the world range from 90%+ in Venezuela to -0.9% in Portugal
    I guess reading is beyond you.;

BUDGET BALANCE. It is pretty clear that running a Marxist economy will still have the same effect it always has, total destruction.

Pretty much every developed economy, regardless of deficit or surplus, has inflation rates within a very narrow band. Control of inflation is beyond the governments control in these countries within any reasonable parameter.
    errr.... " influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation" - many would take that to mean the effect of the budget balance (or lack of) of the government in question.

Did you mean something like " influence of an individual national government economic policy (assuming roughly balanced budgets) on inflation"?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Roger said:

Just watched on 4+1.

What did it cover?
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    taffys said:

Wales v Fiji...

'' that must have been good for the neutral"

The Fiji threequarters must be the best in the tournament.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Dair said:

rcs1000 said:

Jim Callaghan: "We used to think that you could spend your way out of a recession, and increase employ­ment by cutting taxes and boosting Government spending. I tell you in all candour that that option no longer exists, and that in so far as it ever did exist, it only worked on each occasion since the war by injecting a bigger dose of infla­tion into the economy, followed by a higher level of unemployment as the next step. Higher inflation followed by higher unemployment. We have just escaped from the highest rate of inflation this country has known; we have not yet escaped from the consequences: high unemployment.

That is the history of the last 20 years. Each time we did this the twin evils of unemployment and inflation have hit hardest those least able to stand them. Not those with the strongest bargaining power, no, it has not hit those. It has hit the poor, the old and the sick."

And there is some truth in this in Callaghan's day.

Today, however, the influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation in a globalised economy is virtually zero.
    And yet inflation rates around the world range from 90%+ in Venezuela to -0.9% in Portugal
    I guess reading is beyond you.;

BUDGET BALANCE. It is pretty clear that running a Marxist economy will still have the same effect it always has, total destruction.

Pretty much every developed economy, regardless of deficit or surplus, has inflation rates within a very narrow band. Control of inflation is beyond the governments control in these countries within any reasonable parameter.
    errr.... " influence of an individual national government's Budget Balance on inflation" - many would take that to mean the effect of the budget balance (or lack of) of the government in question.

Did you mean something like " influence of an individual national government economic policy (assuming roughly balanced budgets) on inflation"?

It's called context, it's why I quoted the post I was replying to and why it referred to the argument which the previous post was making against Keynsian stimulus.

If you click on the blue bit that says ">>show previous quotes" you can go back and read the post I was replying to.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

Roger said:

Just watched on 4+1.

What did it cover?
    IS brainwashing and training children to be killers.

Syria will never be a civilised place again.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

So far it is.
    Falklands to the Argentinians.
    Gib to the Spanish
    No Nuclear deterrent.
    No finger on the button.
    Negotiations with ISIS.
    ditto Hezbolah
    ditto Hamas.
    Praise for the bombers of the IRA The ones who killed and maimed UK citizens all over the country...maybe the citizens of Manchester can discuss this with him when he goes up there next week .
    Possible withdrawal from NATO
    Cancel the Trident replacements.
    ...and these are just a fw of his "Sincere" thoughts
    .This is the man who is now the leader of the Labour Party

Absolutely incredible..
    Why are the people who hate us, laughing like idiots..

Didn't he actually say he wouldn't negotiate with ISIS? Although how that fits with "a political solution" is anyone's guess...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,902
    Rob/Fox

......and amputating limbs from children who don't comply
  • Options
    Roger said:

Rob/Fox

......and amputating limbs from children who don't comply

Charming!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    Somewhat to my surprise today several of my OAP friends ...... all retired professional people, some admittedly from public service, but some not ...... told me that having seen Corbyn on the box they thought he was a breath of fresh air, and they liked what he was saying. They weren't people with whom I normally discuss politics, either.

I hadn't expected that from them; personally I'm not sure about Jezza. Yet anyway. Can see him getting me to move to Lab from LD though.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JEO said:

So in addition to wanting to reduce our army, abandon our nuclear deterrent and give away British territory, Corbyn now thinks the biggest concern to the British public isn't a problem.

Reduce our army? The one that lost 20,000 soldiers under that nice Mr Cameron?
  • Options

Somewhat to my surprise today several of my OAP friends ...... all retired professional people, some admittedly from public service, but some not ...... told me that having seen Corbyn on the box they thought he was a breath of fresh air, and they liked what he was saying. They weren't people with whom I normally discuss politics, either.

I hadn't expected that from them; personally I'm not sure about Jezza. Yet anyway. Can see him getting me to move to Lab from LD though.

Liked what he was saying, as in they would vote for him? Nurse!
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Essential reading for anyone who "likes what Corbyn is saying"

@robertshrimsley: This is very good -Corbyn's Nirvana fallacy https://t.co/zuo3ylJp0J
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,902
    I'm surprised Assad doesn't just piss off to Russia and see what Obama does about the massacre and blood bath that is certain to follow. As so often the West have chosen the wrong side