Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yes we Khan – Sadiq Khan wins the London Mayoral nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yes we Khan – Sadiq Khan wins the London Mayoral nomination 59% to 41%

I know this will earn me the wrath of Khan and his supporters, but the likely Conservative nominee Zac Goldsmith will be delighted with this as the polling generally shows him beating Khan but not Jowell. But as Dame Tessa Jowell will confirm it is a mistake to underestimate Sadiq Khan.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like Goldsmith.
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. kle4, there'll be some. People have bizarre fetishes [weirdest I ever heard of was a blinking fetish].

Disgrace that someone overtly proposing ethnic quotas in the workplace will aspire to be London mayor on Labour's behalf. It's sheer racism to literally discriminate based on skin colour.

Congrats on your win, Mr. Eagles, and thanks to Mr. Manson for his wise tip, which I foolishly did not follow [not sure if I saw it, to be fair].
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jonwalker121: Um is 59% *in an AV vote on the 5th round of counting* really overwhelming? Nature of AV is someone *eventually* likely to get clear maj?
  • Options
    Paging Shadsy !!

@faisalislam: Corbyn planning Ken Livingstone for tooting? If Khan wins...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Goldsmith still 2/1 with Paddy. Pile in (if he'll take the bet)!!!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    fpt

What do the Tories want to do about Corbyn? If he is so terrible for Labour wouldn't it be better that he stayed there? Tim Montgomerie thinks this is a chance to knock Labour off their morally superior perch. Perhaps, but that in itself is rather revealing.

10 years ago when Cameron first came along it was all about how the Tories cared too and had no less of a moral conscience than Labour did, they just disagreed on means. It would appear they've given up on that and Osborne seems entirely comfortable in his ruthlessly cynical skin. It must grate them though to have to deal with Labour's sanctimony when the reality in their minds is that Labour is just as much in the moral gutter as they are. They're just two sides of the same opportunist coin who've chosen different paths.

Montgomerie reckons politics could be about to get ugly. That has its downsides but parliamentary democracy is supposed to represent the broad views of the electorate. If the nation starts washing its dirty laundry in the House of Commons it might at least be rather more honest than the phoney civility of the 'right honourable member.'
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The main problem with Sadiq IMO is not his supposed "racism", but that he's so lacking in charisma...
  • Options
    The time is ripe for a charismatic, pro-Heathrow independent.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    edited September 2015
    Game over as far as Labour leadership too given the crossover between Khan and Corbyn voters and the dominance of London Labour Corbyn is the next Labour leader almost without doubt. Zac clearly now a strong contender for Mayor
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Disgrace that someone overtly proposing ethnic quotas in the workplace will aspire to be London mayor on Labour's behalf. It's sheer racism to literally discriminate based on skin colour.''

Whether he will win or not I don;t know, but Khan will be an extremely divisive candidate.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For a supposedly clever man - he comes across as rather stupid.
    Danny565 said:

The main problem with Sadiq IMO is not his supposed "racism", but that he's so lacking in charisma...

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Tory gain nailed on, if true.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Does he have to stand down as an MP just for being the nominee, or is that only if he's elected Mayor?

A Tooting by-election could be tricky with the way Battersea and Putney are trending...
  • Options

FPT: Mr. kle4, there'll be some. People have bizarre fetishes [weirdest I ever heard of was a blinking fetish].

Disgrace that someone overtly proposing ethnic quotas in the workplace will aspire to be London mayor on Labour's behalf. It's sheer racism to literally discriminate based on skin colour.

Congrats on your win, Mr. Eagles, and thanks to Mr. Manson for his wise tip, which I foolishly did not follow [not sure if I saw it, to be fair].

Did you notice my subtle Star Trek reference?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I can see the Tories will play the anti-Muslim card !
  • Options
    I cannot believe Labour are doing this.. at one time they were always a serious contender and a serious Party..now they are not..
  • Options
    Mr. 565, I concur Khan's dull (he managed to lose a QT audience packed with teachers and lecturers at the height of the tuition fees nonsense last Parliament), but would say the ethnic quotas policy is far worse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948
    'This will earn me the wrath of Khan'

God bless you sir, god bless you.
  • Options

Subtle?
  • Options
    If you want to know another example of Labour's problem's it's that Abbott got through to the fourth round, whilst Wolmar got knocked out in the second.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015
    Betfair exchange going evens Khan - looks a bit overdone
  • Options
    Corbyn on Betfair down to 1.07, on present trends it'll be a minus figure soon
  • Options
    Ignoring Tim Monty seems to be the best advice in almost any given situation.

fpt

What do the Tories want to do about Corbyn? If he is so terrible for Labour wouldn't it be better that he stayed there? Tim Montgomerie thinks this is a chance to knock Labour off their morally superior perch. Perhaps, but that in itself is rather revealing.

10 years ago when Cameron first came along it was all about how the Tories cared too and had no less of a moral conscience than Labour did, they just disagreed on means. It would appear they've given up on that and Osborne seems entirely comfortable in his ruthlessly cynical skin. It must grate them though to have to deal with Labour's sanctimony when the reality in their minds is that Labour is just as much in the moral gutter as they are. They're just two sides of the same opportunist coin who've chosen different paths.

Montgomerie reckons politics could be about to get ugly. That has its downsides but parliamentary democracy is supposed to represent the broad views of the electorate. If the nation starts washing its dirty laundry in the House of Commons it might at least be rather more honest than the phoney civility of the 'right honourable member.'

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Does he have to stand down as an MP just for being the nominee, or is that only if he's elected Mayor?

A Tooting by-election could be tricky with the way Battersea and Putney are trending...
    Given Ken's example in Brent, he doesn't even need to stand down as an MP if he wins (although I think that he almost certainly would). Same goes for Zac in Richmond Park of course. Would therefore be expecting a London by-election in one of them in June of next year.
  • Options
    @mjrharris: All the men winning! Finally our time has come! #labour
  • Options
    ''I cannot believe Labour are doing this.. at one time they were always a serious contender and a serious Party..now they are not.. ''

It's like a political form of suicide chess
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, two points: I'm not a Conservative. I posted that ethnic quotas/discriminating based on skin colour is wrong. Please explain the basis of your attack on me.

Mr. Eagles, sadly, I did notice.
  • Options
    A good day financially for me and politically for PB Tories everywhere.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ladbrokes Politics ‏@LadPolitics 1m1 minute ago

Zac Goldsmith's #londonmayor odds cut from 7/4 to 11/10 following Sadiq Khan's selection.
  • Options
    Ken as the New Citizen Smith?

This is almost too much to ask.

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Tory gain nailed on, if true.
  • Options
    Also a big shout out to Tissue Price who tipped Zac Goldsmith at 22/1
  • Options

I cannot believe Labour are doing this.. at one time they were always a serious contender and a serious Party..now they are not..

They still have Wales.
  • Options

If you want to know another example of Labour's problem's it's that Abbott got through to the fourth round, whilst Wolmar got knocked out in the second.

Are the transfer details available - would be interested to see where Wolmar's votes went. (Also to see how far Abbot was off beating Tessa for the final round)
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    I love you TSE. So comfortingly predictable! Great news on Khan.
  • Options
    @rowenamason: Source at Labour HQ says there is a stunned silence and grim mood at scale of Sadiq Khan mayoral win -suggests Corbyn victory sealed.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited September 2015

fpt

Surely after an initial flurry, the Tories will wait a bit until he's purged the remaining Blairites and made the changes he talked about - such as having the membership choose the shad cabinet and key policies?

Then they'll go hard for him, knowing that the replacement is more likely to be another unelectable trot rather than say Dan Jarvis.
  • Options
    As much as I dislike the Tories the thought of Goldsmith becoming London Mayor doesn't really bother me. But what about the poor old Blairites? I saw a very prominent Blairite who still pops up in the media sitting on his own in a pub just a few weeks after the election. He looked extremely glum - had he read the ruins?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Apparently Khan also wants to massively curb stop-and-search. This is a very foolish policy considering the significant rise in knife crime.
  • Options
    :smiley:
    taffys said:

''I cannot believe Labour are doing this.. at one time they were always a serious contender and a serious Party..now they are not.. ''

It's like a political form of suicide chess

• Options

But am I a better tipper than Henry? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT!
  • Options
    ZG will win ..

http://order-order.com/2015/02/26/sadiq-khan-spoke-at-event-hosted-by-jihadi-john-group/

"Guido can reveal that in 2012 the Shadow Justice Secretary and London mayor hopeful Sadiq Khan spokeon the same platform as a CAGE representative at an event in parliament and alongside the father of Babar Ahmad. Ahmad was later convicted of supporting Islamic terrorists and sentenced to 12 and a half years in prison."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Think this is the best result for my wallet... Will check in a week when I get back to the spreadsheet
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,948
    I don't have any way of knowing who would be best for London, and on a personal level don't care as I don't live there, therefore the funnier result would be best. A Tory Old Etonian winning there again would definitely be that given Labour's general strength in the capital, so if Khan does help Goldsmith win (assuming he gets the Tory nomination) so much the better.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

I go to Tooting every week. I don't think Labour will be losing Tooting !
  • Options
    They still have Wales.

And Liverpool.
  • Options
    Just think within a few years we could have a Muslim leading London and another Muslim leading the country and the Tories.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Apparently Khan also wants to massively curb stop-and-search. This is a very foolish policy considering the significant rise in knife crime.

Would any rational person want him to have any say in any policing matter?
  • Options
    Great typo.

As much as I dislike the Tories the thought of Goldsmith becoming London Mayor doesn't really bother me. But what about the poor old Blairites? I saw a very prominent Blairite who still pops up in the media sitting on his own in a pub just a few weeks after the election. He looked extremely glum - had he read the ruins?

• Options

John McTernan?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,357

fpt

You are so far off the mark with Osborne. I was referred to this on here yesterday and it is a really interesting piece: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/09/ascent-submarine-george-osborne-talks-jason-cowley

As you would expect given that it is the New Statesman it is not uncritical but his determination to dominate the centre ground and his easy acceptance of a positive roll for the State shows what problems Labour have. And that is before they elect an intellectual muppet.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Are the transfer details available - would be interested to see where Wolmar's votes went. (Also to see how far Abbot was off beating Tessa for the final round)
    See:
    http://labourlist.org/2015/09/sadiq-khan-wins-race-to-be-labours-candidate-for-london-mayor/

Looks like it was mainly Khan.
  • Options

Agreed - and mea culpa, I poo pooed it at the time (though tbf, that was before the Labour party decided to commit collective hari kari).
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

His majority was sub 3k..

He wont stand down as he wont win the mayorship.
  • Options
    I often wondered whether a tory tactic might be to paint labour as the party of choice for the muslim radical.

Labour themselves have now saved everybody the trouble.
  • Options

They still have Wales.
    I remember Dan Hodges mocking Carwyn Jones for being boring. He should be cherishing him.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound: So the pollsters are currently 0-2 on major elections this year. Can Corbyn save them?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    What a disaster for Labour. Tessa Jowell the obvious candidate from the point of view of swing voters.
  • Options
    Nice to see consistency in the Corbynista vote...
    TGOHF said:

ZG will win ..

http://order-order.com/2015/02/26/sadiq-khan-spoke-at-event-hosted-by-jihadi-john-group/

"Guido can reveal that in 2012 the Shadow Justice Secretary and London mayor hopeful Sadiq Khan spokeon the same platform as a CAGE representative at an event in parliament and alongside the father of Babar Ahmad. Ahmad was later convicted of supporting Islamic terrorists and sentenced to 12 and a half years in prison."

• Options

Just think within a few years we could have a Muslim leading London and another Muslim leading the country and the Tories.

SJ isn't a practising Muslim.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Captain Kirk realises that his bet of the entire starship Enterprise on a Jowel win has just been lost.

http://youtu.be/wRnSnfiUI54
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe, pooh-poohed. I hope :p

Mr Eagles, Patel? Or Javid[sp]?

Mr. Surbiton, you appeared to post that I was playing an anti-Muslim card. Kindly explain or retract.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Which is equivalent to 5k in 2020 even before talking about swings .
  • Options
    DavidL said:

fpt

You are so far off the mark with Osborne. I was referred to this on here yesterday and it is a really interesting piece: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/09/ascent-submarine-george-osborne-talks-jason-cowley

As you would expect given that it is the New Statesman it is not uncritical but his determination to dominate the centre ground and his easy acceptance of a positive roll for the State shows what problems Labour have. And that is before they elect an intellectual muppet.
    hoorar for me!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Have Labour got some sort of collectve suicide pact?

Ed Miliband leaves a hell of a legacy!
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    taffys said:

I often wondered whether a tory tactic might be to paint labour as the party of choice for the muslim radical.

Sadiq Khan will be the most high profile Labour politician after Corbyn. The Tories need to ask Khan very clearly whether he agrees with Corbyn's descriptions of Raed Salah and the like.
  • Options
    Lost in a filter I shall repeat?

Labour linkedin

This is no time for a Woman.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: So the pollsters are currently 0-2 on major elections this year. Can Corbyn save them?

There was no poll of London Labour members for mayoral candidate only voters as a whole though on this evidence yougov got Corbyn's Labour leadership victory right which is why they did not release another poll
  • Options

Sajid Javid ? Jesus !
  • Options
    Another OE Tory would be most amusing. I don't like him and would've voted for Tessa if I had one.

This is going to be one helluva election campaign.
    kle4 said:

I don't have any way of knowing who would be best for London, and on a personal level don't care as I don't live there, therefore the funnier result would be best. A Tory Old Etonian winning there again would definitely be that given Labour's general strength in the capital, so if Khan does help Goldsmith win (assuming he gets the Tory nomination) so much the better.

• Options

ha ha very apposite... actually 'a casting of the ''ruins'' ' was a good (brilliant in fact) British film - entitled 'Night of the Demon' . It even had a very good bought in Holywood actor, Dana Andrews.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

fpt

Come on, NOBODY outside the Westminster bubble thinks Osborne is "centrist"!

The public perception of him is that he's a typical Tory only interested in the rich (moreso than Cameron who imo people think he atleast attempts to understand poorer people), but that atleast he's competent and has a clear sense of where he's going.
  • Options
    Great summary. Did CCHQ bulk buy genie lamps?
    taffys said:

• Options
    surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

surbiton said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Paging Shadsy !!

Which is equivalent to 5k in 2020 even before talking about swings .
    He won a 2.8k majority pre Corbyn.

Factor Labour leadership into the equation.
  • Options
    ''This is going to be one helluva election campaign.''

Whilst I don;t like Monty much myself, Plato I think in this case he is correct. Politics is going to get very ugly.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Ok.

Just think within a few years we could have the sons of Pakistani immigrants leading London and another leading the country and the Tories.

I keep on telling you those sorts of chaps are awesome.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

No chance of the first one, I'm calling this for Goldsmith already.

Boroughs like Kingston and Richmond could vote 75-25 in favour of Goldsmith with Khan as Labour candidate IMO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    I'll now be seriously surprised if Corbyn doesn't win this on the first round. 50% plus one must be nailed on, surely?
  • Options

Mr. Nashe, pooh-poohed. I hope :p

Mr Eagles, Patel? Or Javid[sp]?

Mr. Surbiton, you appeared to post that I was playing an anti-Muslim card. Kindly explain or retract.

I think you will find I used the word "Tories". I was not aware you now represent the entire Tory party and its publicity machine.

Sadiq has to watch out for Tory photographers when he next eats a kebab roll ! The swiftboating will start from tomorrow.
  • Options
    FPT, @Innocent_Abroad

Apologies - I couldn't get on to the comments on my phone this morning. I was referring to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMeU_szhZ6E
  • Options
    SK is also the union shill candidate - the champion of tube strikes.

Add in Crosby running ZG's campaign...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2015

They still have Wales.
    In fairness, Carwyn Jones is light years away from the alternative universe that appears to be going on in the rest of Labour in the UK and London in particular. I claim no inside knowledge at other than personal circles, but I suspect much of traditional Valleys Labour is simply aghast at present.
  • Options

Lennon said:

See:
    http://labourlist.org/2015/09/sadiq-khan-wins-race-to-be-labours-candidate-for-london-mayor/

Looks like it was mainly Khan.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Apparently David Cameron insulted Yorkshire.

Anyone got a link to signing up to UKIP?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No chance of the first one, I'm calling this for Goldsmith already.

Boroughs like Kingston and Richmond could vote 75-25 in favour of Goldsmith with Khan as Labour candidate IMO.
    "Boroughs like Kingston"...... ! Shows how much you know London.

The real world is slightly more than just a spreadsheet !
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, you quoted a post I made and responded to it thus:
    "I can see the Tories will play the anti-Muslim card !"

Still, if you're content that you don't think I'm doing that, quite happy to let matters rest there.
  • Options

Subtle?
    Even I spotted it......
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you're a member of Lancashire Cricket Club. Motes and beams.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Ok.

Just think within a few years we could have the sons of Pakistani immigrants leading London and another leading the country and the Tories.

Bit racist of you to assume his religion based on his nationality ? :D
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Corbyn NAILED on.

The political dictionary requires a new word for what Labour are doing to themselves. This is far beyond the mild Tory madness of IDS.

Has any serious Western party, from Europe to North America to Australasia, spazzed out the way Labour are spazzing out now?

The Swedish Social Democrats are doing their best to court oblivion with their migration policy.
  • Options
    Although I agree that Goldsmith is the favourite, one thing that's slightly in Khan's favour is he might maximise Muslim turnout.

One of Labour's problems in mayoral elections has been that the demographics that make London such a good fit for Labour in general elections (the young and ethnic minorities) don't bother turning out for anything less - Khan could partially alleviate that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    This is how stupid Labour really are:

George Foulkes ‏@GeorgeFoulkes 5h5 hours ago

Swing to SNP in Leith Walk by-election at 8% lowest recently. Growing awareness of SNP failure at Holyrood?

Leith Walk (Edinburgh) by-election result:
    SNP - 36.2% (+7.3)
    LAB - 25.7% (-8.0)
    GRN - 21.8% (+1.3)
    CON - 7.9% (-0.3)
    LDEM - 4.0% (-1.1)
    70 retweets 52 favorites
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Ok.

Bit racist of you to assume his religion based on his nationality ? :D
    Yup, racist me, why do you think I ask for a link to join UKIP a few minutes ago :lol:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Excellent :D
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Danny565 said:

Although I agree that Goldsmith is the favourite, one thing that's slightly in Khan's favour is he might maximise Muslim turnout.

When it is already at 200%, where is there for it to go?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    surbiton said:

Sajid Javid ? Jesus !
    No, real jihadist murderers in both cases. UK has no borders and will in the short or long run have no democracy.
  • Options
    ''One thing that's slightly in Khan's favour is he might maximise Muslim turnout.''

This is what politics has become for labour - based on horrible, sectarian lines.
  • Options

Apparently David Cameron insulted Yorkshire.

Anyone got a link to signing up to UKIP?

Cameron gets more impressive every day. The best thing about Yorkshire is that it borders the brilliant Derbyshire. ;)
  • Options
    So if Khan doesn't win in May is that the moment Corbyn gets deposed?
  • Options
    It's also increasingly clear that the various causes of this current nightmare (precipitate resignation, crazy new voting system, turn against sound economic and fiscal principles) can be laid at the door of Ed Miliband - the worst leader Labour have ever had ... up until tomorrow.