Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Yes we Khan – Sadiq Khan wins the London Mayoral nomination

124»

Comments

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2015
    RodCrosby said:

MTimT said:

FPT @ Pro_Rata who said "As best can be told, the most recent common ancestor of all humanity lived only around 2000 years ago!"

You have your timeline off by quite a while. The current best scientific estimate for Mitochondrial Eve is 'between 99,000 and 200,000 years ago, most likely in East Africa'; and for Y Chromosomal Adam between 100,000 and 160,000 years ago. These estimates are based on mutation rates of DNA.

No he doesn't. Most recent common ancestor is not "Adam" or "Eve"...
    And is most likely from North East China or maybe Taiwan.
    "Assuming that no genetically isolated human populations remain, the human MRCA may have lived 2,000 to 4,000 years ago. This estimate is based on a non-genetic, mathematical model that assumes random mating and does not take into account important aspects of human population substructure such as assortative mating and historical geographical constraints on interbreeding"

Those are some pretty big assumptions. So, MRCA will have been a lot more recent than Mitochondrial Eve, but given restrictions on travel for many of the smallest and most remote tribes, way longer than the 2000-4000 years that the mathematical model implies.

For Europe, the number is in the 1000-2000 year range:

http://www.nature.com/news/most-europeans-share-recent-ancestors-1.12950
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,875
    SeanT said:

Not sure if we spotted this survey at the time (late August) - it's a proper survey though of voters generally rather than the selectorate. It would be odd if the trend to Corbyn among the wider electorate was opposite to the trend within the party, so it's another straw in the wind and quite a substantial one. Corbyn leads in pretty much all sections including 2015 Tories (who may have other motives) but especially "other parties" (UKIP/Green, presumably) and women. LibDems marginally prefer Burnham.

http://ourinsight.opinium.co.uk/survey-results/momentum-corbyn

Pretty sure we've seen that. It's also contradicted by other polls, which show that Corbyn is deemed unelectable, and viewed as most likely to guide Labour to defeat, etc

That said, the polling is mixed. Corbyn-as=leader doesn't do as badly as one might think, given the onslaught, and Labour are doing OK-ish in recent VI polls (32 to Tories' 38 the other day, for instance).

Indeed I wonder if we might see a polling BOOST for Labour, in the next few weeks and months, thanks to all the attention, and the sheer novelty of this silly but plain speaking Trot at the helm.

This will be the worst outcome for Labour, natch. Corbyn will do well enough in polls in the first two or three years to stay in office. Even though he will always be utterly unelectable. And, slowly, over time, he will poison the Labour brand.
    I had a big splutter over that unverified Corbyn £45 fraud story earlier in the day, based on that I already don't buy the smeared peacenik narrative, but let's assume Corbyn does make it to 2020 and there is no killer blow over his 'friends' even as the election campaign completes. Let's also assume that the economics of 2020 are middling. How might he do?

Going to put a finger very high in the air and do this in a similar way to the voter flow analysis that one of the pollsters put out after the election.

Labour start = 31 voters
    Net gains:
    5 previous non-voters - disaffected ex-Labour voters
    1-2 Green voters - decent chunk of anti-austerity rather than Eco greens
    1 SNP voter - given the SNP fervour difficult to see getting votes back here anything other than a painful process
    1 UKIP voter - the balance of 2 flows, some more anti-immigrant Labour will go (many already gone) but a decent sized plain anti-establishment votes will come back, so predict a net, but uneven, gain.
    = 7-8 new voters gained (the 5 non-voters scale down a bit as they make the electorate bigger)

Net losses:
    2 x 2015 Labour voters do not vote
    5 x voters switch to Conservative
    5 x voters switch to LD
    = 12 of 31 2015 Labour voters lost

So, on a neutral assumption guess, Corbyn Labour reach GE2020 on about 26% and still by a distance the second largest party.

A breaking the mould scenario that smashes Labour by 2020 is nowhere near the most likely outcome.
  • Options

I've just stuck in the full breakdown of the results into t'header

Means we can discuss how AV affected the result

http://bit.ly/1geNMiN

Worth noting that on Members only Jowell was in the lead from the first to the fourth round and Khan only narrowly won with the transfers of Abbott's members.

It is thanks to the £3 members that he won comprehensively. Pointer to tomorrow?
    The body of the Labour Party was snatched whilst it was asleep.
    I strongly suggest that if anyone finds a strange pod thing in their garden shed, then they stick a garden fork in it before they go to bed tonight.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

MTimT said:

FPT @ Pro_Rata who said "As best can be told, the most recent common ancestor of all humanity lived only around 2000 years ago!"

You have your timeline off by quite a while. The current best scientific estimate for Mitochondrial Eve is 'between 99,000 and 200,000 years ago, most likely in East Africa'; and for Y Chromosomal Adam between 100,000 and 160,000 years ago. These estimates are based on mutation rates of DNA.

No he doesn't. Most recent common ancestor is not "Adam" or "Eve"...
    And is most likely from North East China or maybe Taiwan.
    "Assuming that no genetically isolated human populations remain, the human MRCA may have lived 2,000 to 4,000 years ago. This estimate is based on a non-genetic, mathematical model that assumes random mating and does not take into account important aspects of human population substructure such as assortative mating and historical geographical constraints on interbreeding"

Those are some pretty big assumptions. So, MRCA will have been a lot more recent than Mitochondrial Eve, but given restrictions on travel for many of the smallest and most remote tribes, way longer than the 2000-4000 years that the mathematical model implies.
    Deleted
  • Options
    ''They're already here! You're next! YOU'RE NEXT!"
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/view-image/?src=2013/11/Body-Snatchers.jpg&51ae27
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    Speedy said:

I think Khan will be a bad mayor, after the well known painful decade long mayoralty of Lutfur Rahman, I have a deep distrust towards local muslim politicians.

Why do you think Khan will win the election for London Mayor?

• Options
    FPT

Cheap shoes really are a false economy, a decent, moderately expensive pair will last for years, requiring occasional re-soling and heeling.

I reckon it has been nine years since I had last had to wear shoes (as opposed to trainers or boots) or a tie at my sister's wedding.
  • Options
    US Presidential: Polling continues to move against Hillary, and she is now below 40% in the national polling for the Dem nod, trailing Carson and Bush in the head to head. As stated last night, all the polling trends on pretty much every metric at both state and national levels are moving against her.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/10/politics/hillary-clinton-poll-women/index.html
  • Options
    Now a day majority of enthusiasts prefer playing Satta Matka online. However there are few beneficial aspects what make this game playing online popular. sattamatkaresults.in is one of such websites which provides Privacy with security and many more which helps them playing safe without risking their money.

http://sattamatkaresults.in/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    adrian mcmenamin ‏@adrianmcmenamin 36m36 minutes ago
    @lukeakehurst @hopisen @_IanMoss @DPJHodges Corbyn wins on 1st ballot with 53.8% share - just under 229,000 votes
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

This also increases the chance of a Richmond Park by-election.

Excellent news!

Lib Dems surging here ;)
    It'll be an interesting by-election. If the government, as they should, continue to support Heathrow expansion, then I would think that the LibDems (as the anti-Heathrow party) will nab it.

On the other hand, if there is a reversal (and either Gatwick or something else get the nod), then I think it'll be a Tory hold.

I do not see UKIP or a Corbyn led Labour Party putting up any kind of show in Richmond Park.
    Might Vince fancy a comeback?