Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ohio, the Nuneaton of US politics, the GOP search for

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    I wonder if Ed Balls is in the crowd at Trent Bridge. Nottingham is his home town and he's a big cricket fan.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    rcs1000 said:

Go on Lyth!

Never has there been so little pressure on an opener. Hopefully he can stake his claim.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,523
    isam said:

ydoethur said:

England have five bowlers, and use three.

Broad 8/15. Best figures by an England bowler in Tests since Devon Malcolm blew away South Africa at the Oval in 1994 with 9-57.

Have England ever had three successive five fors or six fors by three different bowlers?
    1981 they had two in a row (Willis, then Botham). Can't think of any others off-hand. I'll keep looking, but I'd advise you to email TMS or Cricinfo for the answer as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185
    If you'd told me Lyth would be batting at lunchtime, I'd have been astounded.

For entirely different reasons.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2015
    watford30 said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Letwin's too otherworldly for that.

But I wonder if Gorgeous George had a word with Matt?

THe man who gave us the word 'omnishambles'? I don't think we should get carried away.

In any case, if that was the idea it hasn't really worked - the Grauniad is still pushing the 'Tories eat babies' line:
    'Kids Company closure: 6,000 children have lost support
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/05/kids-company-closure-6000-children-have-lost-support
    The Guardian is not a serious newspaper. It decides its opinions regardless of any facts, frankly. Anything a Tory government does is wrong, in its eyes.

The one thing I still don't understand: what services exactly did this charity provide? What did it actually do? What went on at its Camberwell premises? And are there really 6000 children in South London reliant on KC?

The "6000 kids have lost support" line could mean just that. But it's vague enough to encompass: we have a library here available to 6000 kids and if it closes they can't use it even though in fact only 38 kids actually use it or, if it closes, they can go to another library a bit further away.

I'd assume that it is 'we've supported 6,000 kids in the last 20 years'...
    One report I've read said that they include amongst the number of kids they say they support (whatever that support is, details to be provided no doubt) are not just the actual kids they help but all the other kids in the child's classroom because they too are "supported" by the "support" given to the desperate child.

Well with that approach to figures she could be in investment banking!

No, Investment Banking has some regulation and compliance.

KC looks as if it was completely uncontrolled, dishing out taxpayers money here, there and everywhere with very limited oversight and traceability. Gawd knows what else was going on - no wonder PC Plod has taken an interest.

The spotlight will be on the Charity Commissioners sooner rather than later.

It's a bit of an in-joke.

I've been an investment banker for 20 years (although my father claims that I'm not a "real banker"). @Cyclefree is... let's just says she's @Cyclefree.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,024
    Mr. Eagles, a reference to a 3rd century AD war is arguably classical history, but an hour or so in the 19th century most certainly is not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Zanzibar_War

Zhuge Liang reference: latter stages of the Three Kingdoms era. The Kingdom of Wei had sent 20,000 or so men to invade Shu [most of whose men were far away and couldn't defend it]. Zhuge Liang, lacking forces to oppose the enemy in combat, had his men hide, opened the doors of his city, and sat near the gate playing the zither. The enemy [I think commanded by the canny Sima Yi] was dumbfounded and decided it must be a ploy, so they retreated.

Lots of myth mixing with history in the Three Kingdoms (like early Livy), but it's a nice story.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @Charles

I think there are four of us who have worked for large investment banks on PB: Cyclefree, MaxPB, you and me.

Anyone else?
  • Options
    8 without loss!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Can England avoid the follow on?
  • Options
    Extras gets off the mark. Hardworking chap this morning.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder if Ed Balls is in the crowd at Trent Bridge. Nottingham is his home town and he's a big cricket fan.

More likely Ken Clarke will be there, Trent Bridge is in his constituency.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Broad gets criticism, not without cause, but even with the Aussies practising their Lemming impressions, this is the sort of spell he manages on occasion, where everything falls fo rhim.

Aussies 47/9, Labour set to elect Corbyn.

It's been a great to be an England cricket loving Tory since May 7th.

You're now worried about getting too much of good thing?
    I'm enjoying before it goes horribly wrong, I fully expect the EU referendum to tear the Tory Party apart, and replace Cameron with Liam Bloody Fox.
    Nah, the campaign will show our Liam up for the blowhard he is.

I'm looking forward to the "Fox Torn Apart" headline on your thread...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Scott_P said:

Can England avoid the follow on?

It's nerve wracking. Why don't they just declare, have another crack and chase a target of 100ish to wrap up the ashes this afternoon.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

I actually agree with your final point, HL, but I think it's unlikely. What may happen is that some universities move towards vocational subjects (e.g. UWE in Bristol has stopped offering History altogether) and others ditch the technical courses, and others will merge.

The worst problem is a lot of small essentially colleges in London with high overheads which could be profitably merged (or merged back) to one institution. A friend of mine who worked in the UoL when it split said they lost far more than they gained, and I think the losses are getting greater rather than less with time.

In Austria, when they changed the poly/uni model, they introduced special titles for professors in the ex-polys to militate against the problem you identify. But it would be hard to introduce that in this country now.

If the structure cannot be changed then surely HMG could at least do something about the funding of research, which is where we started this discussion. Is the HEFC still going? I lose track, but if it or its successor were to be given "guidance" then most of the nonsense could be eliminated and resources targeted where they will do the most good (and, as much as you or I might personally regret it, that won't be funding history or whether horses smile).
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    4.5 is a pretty awful run rate in this T20
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Anyone else?

Bond trader in the 1980s and 1990s, but in a niche house..
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    edited August 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Charles

I think there are four of us who have worked for large investment banks on PB: Cyclefree, MaxPB, you and me.

Anyone else?

But not all of us are bankers, real or otherwise - and some of us are still in the industry.

• Options
    @Isam Looks as if the record is five in a row; 1884-85 Bates, Peel, Barnes, Flowers and Bates (again). That was in 3 tests.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736
    rcs1000 said:

@Charles

Anyone else?

Not Investment Bank, but Asset Management - so other side of the fence...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

You really are cynical about the industry, aren't you!

There was never any double counting in my shop, no siree.
    Yes. And I'm never let down.
    Given that we had $1trn at risk in a single asset class, I wonder what double counting would have looked like!
  • Options
    13-0 at lunch :-)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    rcs1000 said:

13-0 at lunch :-)

phew!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

ydoethur said:

I actually agree with your final point, HL, but I think it's unlikely. What may happen is that some universities move towards vocational subjects (e.g. UWE in Bristol has stopped offering History altogether) and others ditch the technical courses, and others will merge.

The worst problem is a lot of small essentially colleges in London with high overheads which could be profitably merged (or merged back) to one institution. A friend of mine who worked in the UoL when it split said they lost far more than they gained, and I think the losses are getting greater rather than less with time.

In Austria, when they changed the poly/uni model, they introduced special titles for professors in the ex-polys to militate against the problem you identify. But it would be hard to introduce that in this country now.

If the structure cannot be changed then surely HMG could at least do something about the funding of research, which is where we started this discussion. Is the HEFC still going? I lose track, but if it or its successor were to be given "guidance" then most of the nonsense could be eliminated and resources targeted where they will do the most good (and, as much as you or I might personally regret it, that won't be funding history or whether horses smile).
    Still going and still useless. Don't assume mergers can be easily controlled by funding though. If you want to be gobsmacked, look at the shenanigans over Lampeter and UWIC in Wales - now UWTSD and Cardiff Met. That took years to deal with - and was a catastrophe for all concerned, including HEFCW. The irony is both Lampeter and UWIC were up the pole financially, so in theory refusing the supplies should have made life easy - but it only made it harder.
  • Options
    England's morning.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216
    ydoethur said:

@Isam Looks as if the record is five in a row; 1884-85 Bates, Peel, Barnes, Flowers and Bates (again). That was in 3 tests.

More recently I've found that we had three in a row in the West Indies in 2004:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_cricket_team_in_the_West_Indies_in_2003–04#1st_Test_11_March_.E2.80.93_15_March

Harmison 6-61 in the 1st Innings of the 2nd Test
    Jones 5-57 in the 2nd Innings of the 2nd Test
    Flintoff 5-58 in the 1st Innings of the 3rd Test

Hoggard took 4-35 in the 2nd Innings of the 3rd Test - including a hat-trick.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

You really are cynical about the industry, aren't you!

There was never any double counting in my shop, no siree.
    Yes. And I'm never let down.
    Given that we had $1trn at risk in a single asset class, I wonder what double counting would have looked like!
    I know. A trillion here. A trillion there. After a bit it starts to add up to real money........!

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Mark Carney = awesome

Richard St Ruth ‏@RSR108

Brilliant by Mark Carney as he bowls @EdConwaySky a yorker :-)

EdC: Are we allowed 1 or 2 questions?
    M C: "One. That was your question Ed
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

More recently I've found that we had three in a row in the West Indies in 2004:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_cricket_team_in_the_West_Indies_in_2003–04#1st_Test_11_March_.E2.80.93_15_March

Harmison 6-61 in the 1st Innings of the 2nd Test
    Jones 5-57 in the 2nd Innings of the 2nd Test
    Flintoff 5-58 in the 1st Innings of the 3rd Test

Hoggard took 4-35 in the 2nd Innings of the 3rd Test - including a hat-trick.
    HArmison also took 7-12 in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. So that's 4 in a row, but obviously not 4 different bowlers.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    A very good piece on Hillary and Biden. Well worth reading for anyone seriously interested in the 2016 Presidential election and Dem nomination races

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/whether-or-not-biden-runs-clinton-has-a-problem-125976220476.html
  • Options
    MTimT said:

A very good piece on Hillary and Biden. Well worth reading for anyone seriously interested in the 2016 Presidential election and Dem nomination races

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/whether-or-not-biden-runs-clinton-has-a-problem-125976220476.html

"There should have been considerable irony in seeing Biden’s long-standing presidential ambitions brought back to lifein a column by the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd. It was Dowd who set off the controversy that destroyed Biden’s first presidential campaign in 1987, when she reported that he had ripped off — in one videotaped instance, anyway — a story about his lineage from a British Labour politician of the day, Neil Kinnock."
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Give it 48 hours and Burnham will be flip flopping on Trident:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/629258121177890817
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Thank you. I did enjoy this line:
    Clinton’s team should probably take a moment to survey the wreckage of recent presidential campaigns that seemed immensely promising until the candidates themselves showed up and ruined everything.
    It does nicely encapsulate what I expect to be one of her problems. But I still think her age is most likely to tell against her in the end.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015
    calum said:

It's only a matter of time before he changes his surname to 'Burnyn'
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :smiley:
    watford30 said:

calum said:

• Options
    ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Clinton’s team should probably take a moment to survey the wreckage of recent presidential campaigns that seemed immensely promising until the candidates themselves showed up and ruined everything.
    It does nicely encapsulate what I expect to be one of her problems. But I still think her age is most likely to tell against her in the end.

Not if she's up against Biden who is in his 70s
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Charles

Anyone else?

During the last 30 years I've worked in Accountancy, FSA, Investment Banking and now work in Asset Management.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,635
    calum said:

Quite right too.

• Options
    That is the lowest first innings score by Australia against anyone in a hundred years. And yet betfair thinks there is an 10% chance they'll win.
  • Options
    Plato said:

:smiley:

watford30 said:

calum said:

I hope BHS has got a sale on !!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If George Osborne is out for some more clothes-stealing, he might adopt with adaptations this idea from Andy Burnham's manifesto:

"I will develop the option of ‘Rent to Own’ – mortgages that require no deposit. These government-backed schemes will help councils and housing associations to provide good quality homes, while helping those who want to get onto the property ladder with a Home Purchase Plan. ‘Rent to Own’ would give aspiring first-time buyers a clear route into home ownership and a way out of the ‘rental trap’."

Our housing market doesn't need any more inflation but our politicians don't seem to have learned that yet.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Not if she's up against Biden who is in his 70s

True, for the Democrats. But all potential Republican challengers with the exception of Trump (who surely isn't going to get it) are younger.
  • Options

That is the lowest first innings score by Australia against anyone in a hundred years. And yet betfair thinks there is an 10% chance they'll win.

Be fair. They are playing England.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Hillary's problem is that she's a terrible politician. She happens to be married to an excellent one but is no more fit to be President than Coleen Rooney is to lead the England and Manchester United strike force. She reminds me of the talentless but demanding Yoko Ono.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2015
    It won;t be long before some wag gives us a list of names whose 'boys took a hell of a beating.'

Les Patterson's one obviously.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    antifrank said:

If George Osborne is out for some more clothes-stealing, he might adopt with adaptations this idea from Andy Burnham's manifesto:

"I will develop the option of ‘Rent to Own’ – mortgages that require no deposit. These government-backed schemes will help councils and housing associations to provide good quality homes, while helping those who want to get onto the property ladder with a Home Purchase Plan. ‘Rent to Own’ would give aspiring first-time buyers a clear route into home ownership and a way out of the ‘rental trap’."

Our housing market doesn't need any more inflation but our politicians don't seem to have learned that yet.

Sounds like a hire purchase scheme for houses, it might be quite useful but as ever the key to housing in this country is and will always be unlocking existing stock from the hands of private investors and landlords.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

Sounds like a hire purchase scheme for houses, it might be quite useful but as ever the key to housing in this country is and will always be unlocking existing stock from the hands of private investors and landlords.
    The key is simpler still. We need to build more homes, much faster. If the supply is increased, the rest will follow as night follows day.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

No, the key is building more homes.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

I'm moving out of our "five bed" (three up/three down) terrace in Leyton at the end of the month. We've been paying £2,200, it'll now be £2,500. Beyond a joke.
  • Options
    Speaking of Nuneaton, two new stations on the Coventry to Nuneaton branch are due to open next month: Bermuda Park, just south of Nuneaton, and Coventry Arena, next to the Ricoh stadium.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

calum said:

Andy Kendall
    Jeremy Cooper
    Liz Burnham
    Yvette Corbyn
  • Options
    antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

The key is simpler still. We need to build more homes, much faster. If the supply is increased, the rest will follow as night follows day.
    That's true. But I would add we also need to think about where we build them, and what infrastructure will support them - power, water, transport.

Therefore, it might not be a bad idea to think about how we can ensure that there is demand where there is space and space where there is demand. How do you add 60000 homes a year in London? It's already densely populated, short of power and water, and has rather inadequate transport links? Or would it be better to move five government ministries to Manchester or Leeds with 300,000 civil servants tagged on? I know it wasn't a success when the Beeb tried it though, which is something to bear in mind.

You'd know more about this than me - any ideas?
  • Options
    Andy Burnham = Australia?
  • Options

Andy Burnham = Australia?

No - Australia are guaranteed to at least come second in the Ashes.
  • Options
    Anyway, I'd encourage everyone to read Andy Burnham's manifesto:

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/558290fc01925b0184000001/attachments/original/1438791117/ANDY_BURNHAM_MANIFESTO.pdf?1438791117

The points I pick out are as follows:

1. Creeping renationalisation of rail
    2. Keeping options open on TTIP
    3. Combining the NHS with care (but apparently moving away from a death tax model of funding, since he writes "everybody is asked to make a contribution according to their means and where everybody then has the peace of mind of knowing that all their care needs, and those of their family, are covered.")
    4. Devomax for local government.
    5. A moratorium on fracking and all decisions to proceed ultimately taken locally

He's definitely hitching his skirt leftwards rather than rightwards.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,532
    I presume they will also now be removed from the Green Party? You can't be in the party and also a Lab supporter. Or was this an organised coup attempt? Makes no sense - a left Corbyn party would eat into Green votes, although would leave the Greens free to return to its more ecological roots.
  • Options

I presume they will also now be removed from the Green Party? You can't be in the party and also a Lab supporter. Or was this an organised coup attempt? Makes no sense - a left Corbyn party would eat into Green votes, although would leave the Greens free to return to its more ecological roots.

You may find this of interest - if only in a somewhat alarming way:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/08/03/labour-is-being-consumed-by-corbynista-ultra-left-micro-sects/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

That's true. But I would add we also need to think about where we build them, and what infrastructure will support them - power, water, transport.

Therefore, it might not be a bad idea to think about how we can ensure that there is demand where there is space and space where there is demand. How do you add 60000 homes a year in London? It's already densely populated, short of power and water, and has rather inadequate transport links? Or would it be better to move five government ministries to Manchester or Leeds with 300,000 civil servants tagged on? I know it wasn't a success when the Beeb tried it though, which is something to bear in mind.

London is not densely populated by comparison with most major cities around the world:

https://lsecities.net/media/objects/articles/urban-age-cities-compared/en-gb/

And it has proportionately fewer public sector workers than almost anywhere else in Britain already:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/resources/fig9regionalpse_tcm77-376175.png

For myself, I would focus on developing the eastern half of London. It's happening without too much planning to some extent anyway, so it should be possible to push it further.

Oh, and we need to look up as well as out.
  • Options
    I reckon Australia might be batting again before tea.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,603
    edited August 2015
    taffys said:

It won;t be long before some wag gives us a list of names whose 'boys took a hell of a beating.'

Les Patterson's one obviously.

"Kylie Minogue! Steve Irwin! Holly Valance! Crocodile Dundee! Natalie Imbruglia! Ian Thorpe! Mrs. Mangel! We have beaten them all! We have beaten them all! Dame Edna, can you hear me? Dame Edna, your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,737

How many Tories4Corbyn have been removed from the Tory party?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anyway, I'd encourage everyone to read Andy Burnham's manifesto:

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/558290fc01925b0184000001/attachments/original/1438791117/ANDY_BURNHAM_MANIFESTO.pdf?1438791117

The points I pick out are as follows:

1. Creeping renationalisation of rail

Network Rail, wot own the nation's rail infrastructure such as the tracks, is effectively a nationalised entity.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

ydoethur said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

London is not densely populated by comparison with most major cities around the world:

https://lsecities.net/media/objects/articles/urban-age-cities-compared/en-gb/

And it has proportionately fewer public sector workers than almost anywhere else in Britain already:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/resources/fig9regionalpse_tcm77-376175.png

For myself, I would focus on developing the eastern half of London. It's happening without too much planning to some extent anyway, so it should be possible to push it further.

Oh, and we need to look up as well as out.
    Interesting, thank you - although the proportion and the raw numbers may be a bit of a different story, of course. Never been to the eastern part of London - don't think I've ever been further east than Waterloo station, in fact. So it's intriguing to hear that you think there's some scope for changes there.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

That requires planning, infrastructure investment and dealing with NIMBYs. Unlocking existing stock for purchase by making private rental unprofitable is much, much simpler. Young people should not be funding the retirement of the older middle class leeches who "invest" in property.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

That requires planning, infrastructure investment and dealing with NIMBYs. Unlocking existing stock for purchase by making private rental unprofitable is much, much simpler. Young people should not be funding the retirement of the older middle class leeches who "invest" in property.
    Canvas your City Boy bosses at work; see how many of them can be persuaded to sell off their property investments, and how popular your ideas are with them.

Regardless, it doesn't solve the problem of a housing shortage. The renters currently occupying those homes won't suddenly vanish in a puff of smoke; where will they live?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014
    England half way to Australia's total....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

I'm a renter, who is obliged to spend £450/month on a single room. But I don't think rearranging the ownership of houses is going to help. It's just not the problem.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

Canvas your City Boy bosses at work; see how many of them can be persuaded to sell off their property investments, and how popular your ideas are with them.

Regardless, it doesn't solve the problem of a housing shortage. The renters currently occupying those homes won't suddenly vanish in a puff of smoke; where will they live?
    Why would I care what leeches think?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

I'm a renter, who is obliged to spend £450/month on a single room. But I don't think rearranging the ownership of houses is going to help. It's just not the problem.
    It's not.

The problem is a shortage of homes, not who currently owns them.

London has it's own problems, driven by foreigners parking their money in a safe country, and high salaries and City bonuses looking for somewhere to go. The idea that your average Buy to Let landlord is investing in flashy Shoreditch and Shepherds Bush pads is laughable. Those properties will continue to remain out of the reach of those not fortunate enough to be richly paid.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    MaxPB said:

watford30 said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

MaxPB said:

antifrank said:

Why would I care what leeches think?
    There is no evidence that you think, never mind care about the process.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014
    Joe Root 62, Australia 60...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Charles said:

@Recidivist FPT

Can I just point out that there have been some banks which have been quietly successful in private ownership

Which alters my point not one bit.