Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » From Ohio, the Nuneaton of US politics, the GOP search for

Comments

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Link - The Times letters to the Editor - Page 24 August 6th 2015 ( Paper version)

Absolutely Stunning first letter in the Times this morning from His Honour Judge Nigel Seed QC. He was the prosecuting council at the so called trial of the brothel keeper and the allegations against Ted Heath. He states the defendant said if the trial commenced allegations would be made.

He explains that because of the allegation made at the time absolutely entirely unsubstantiated in any way, two witnesses refused to appear. One even when brought from Holloway refused to leave the court cell. There was no chance of any conviction let alone trial so his honour as the lead prosecutor decided to offer no evidence. and the defendant walked free without a trial. He states "the decision was mine and mine alone"

So basically we have simply trashed a PM for absolutely no reason, no foundation, no evidence and hearsay. Why did Wiltshire police not just ask him instead of standing outside his house at a press conference and fanning a no existent fire ??

I don't like Heath by the way but this goes way beyond this.

The best thing to come out of this, was the reaction of some of the deranged Outers.

I paraphrase, pro-EU people like Heath were only pro-EU because they were blackmailed into being Pro-EU because they are paedos.

Still it has been a good week for manufacturers of tin foil
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,835
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

ydoethur said:

Dair said:

I concede there is some interpretation here, I gave you mine.

Of course what really matters is what other countries decide. And there would no doubt be more than enough who would decide that it is a new state (thus removing it as a UN Security Council member and likely leading to Security Council reform).

Recognition is not a Security Council matter, it is a General Assembly matter and as such would only require one objection and a simple majority in the vote.

I don't fancy England's chances.

TBH Dair, I would be surprised if there were a problem for a post-independence UK from that point of view. I'm not an expert and if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be corrected, but I don't recall Sudan being considered a 'new' country after the secession of South Sudan, or Pakistan after the independence of Bangladesh, or Australia following Papua New Guinea's independence (that one was on much the same terms Salmond was asking for Scotland last year).

Like I say, I could be wrong, and none of them had a security council seat or nuclear weapons (at that time) which may make a difference. But I think those would be ample precedents under international law that the UK would continue and Scotland would be a new state.
    As I said, it's all down to interpretation.
    So if Edinburgh (population 465,000 about the same as Scotland as a percentage of the UK) seceded from Scotland - Scotland would have to change its name and reapply to join the UN?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

It's also worth noting that in fiction, hurting animals (or protecting them from harm) is a pretty much bulletproof indicator over whether someone's an utter **** or not. Harming humans to a great extent can be made explicable or even acceptable, but the same doesn't apply to animals.

House of Cards [original programme] didn't get any complaints when FU murdered someone, but when he shot his dog (effectively putting it down as the hound as very old, and not shown on-screen) there were many. And that was [arguably, at least] humane.

As an aside, I gave Sir Edric's manservant the name 'Dog'. Hopefully that conveys an immediate sense of closeness but also a very definite pecking order.

Undoubtedly. Heroes and heroines in Grimdark fiction practice mass crucifixion, flaying, live burning, torture, and rape, without undermining their appeal to the general reader. But, hurting an animal would place them beyond redemption.
    Not just fiction. Remember the hero status bestowed on Sefton after the other 7 horses were killed by the IRA bomb in 1981? Apparently four guardsmen were killed as well, but they seemed to get less attention.

It was even mentioned as the key part of the story in this very tragic follow-up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9579686/Father-who-killed-children-was-rider-of-Sefton-survivor-of-Hyde-Park-IRA-bomb-attack.html
    Horses are a British thing.

In the mid-1990s I shared an office with an American colleague. One morning, as we were starting to work, he expressed his bemusement at the front pages of the broadsheets covering the death of a racehorse. "Ah, but it's Red Rum", I said. "He was very special". He looked blank.

One of my other colleagues walked in the room at this point and I filled her in on our discussion. "BUT IT'S RED RUM" she half-shouted.

I don't think he ever really understood.
    I thought horses was a Russian thing, or maybe Catherine the Great was the only Russian with a horse fixation
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    edited August 2015
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

It's also worth noting that in fiction, hurting animals (or protecting them from harm) is a pretty much bulletproof indicator over whether someone's an utter **** or not. Harming humans to a great extent can be made explicable or even acceptable, but the same doesn't apply to animals.

House of Cards [original programme] didn't get any complaints when FU murdered someone, but when he shot his dog (effectively putting it down as the hound as very old, and not shown on-screen) there were many. And that was [arguably, at least] humane.

As an aside, I gave Sir Edric's manservant the name 'Dog'. Hopefully that conveys an immediate sense of closeness but also a very definite pecking order.

Undoubtedly. Heroes and heroines in Grimdark fiction practice mass crucifixion, flaying, live burning, torture, and rape, without undermining their appeal to the general reader. But, hurting an animal would place them beyond redemption.
    Not just fiction. Remember the hero status bestowed on Sefton after the other 7 horses were killed by the IRA bomb in 1981? Apparently four guardsmen were killed as well, but they seemed to get less attention.

It was even mentioned as the key part of the story in this very tragic follow-up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9579686/Father-who-killed-children-was-rider-of-Sefton-survivor-of-Hyde-Park-IRA-bomb-attack.html
    Horses are a British thing.

In the mid-1990s I shared an office with an American colleague. One morning, as we were starting to work, he expressed his bemusement at the front pages of the broadsheets covering the death of a racehorse. "Ah, but it's Red Rum", I said. "He was very special". He looked blank.

One of my other colleagues walked in the room at this point and I filled her in on our discussion. "BUT IT'S RED RUM" she half-shouted.

I don't think he ever really understood.
    If he'd been from Kentucky he'd have understood.

I have an American boss who's obsessed with racing. On those occasions when he's over, we often spend half our time looking at the Racing Post and discussing horses rather than anything as tiresome as work.

When Zenyatta passes away it'll be on all the US bulletins I suspect. Certain animals, particularly horses are inherent to the psyche of a nation, Red Rum was here - Secretariat for the USA.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,536
    Plato said:

I saw that and was WTF? The whole circus started with a false premise.

Moses_ said:

Link - The Times letters to the Editor - Page 24 August 6th 2015 ( Paper version)

Absolutely Stunning first letter in the Times this morning from His Honour Judge Nigel Seed QC. He was the prosecuting council at the so called trial of the brothel keeper and the allegations against Ted Heath. He states the defendant said if the trial commenced allegations would be made.

He explains that because of the allegation made at the time absolutely entirely unsubstantiated in any way, two witnesses refused to appear. One even when brought from Holloway refused to leave the court cell. There was no chance of any conviction let alone trial so his honour as the lead prosecutor decided to offer no evidence. and the defendant walked free without a trial. He states "the decision was mine and mine alone"

So basically we have simply trashed a PM for absolutely no reason, no foundation, no evidence and hearsay. Why did Wiltshire police not just ask him instead of standing outside his house at a press conference and fanning a no existent fire ??

Good article which agrees with many points made on this thread, even before the latest questions about the whole saga were raised

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/05/convict-dead-defenceless-case-edward-heath

(I have seen it's in the Guardian. It's still a good read.)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited August 2015
    Re Batman - she's quoted in the Times saying she "felt no personal responsibility" for the collapse.

O_o

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4518761.ece
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dont you just love "virtue signalling"?
    http://labourlist.org/2015/08/why-weve-launched-the-labour-campaign-to-end-homelessness/

An article on Labour list about how homelessness is, in this age of austerity a terrible problem, and they need to have a policy to deal with this epidemic. I couldnt resist pointing out in the comments that homelessness is at an historically unusually low level, and substantially lower than what it was a decade ago, even with the mild uptick since the coalition took over in 2010.

When you are in a climate of tight resources, you have to use those resources in the most efficient way possible. Focusing on an issue that has already reduced by two thirds is maybe not where you should be looking.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Off Topic: Tube Strike

Had a pretty easy journey in again today, guess that's the luck of being on the north side of the river.

IMHO I don't take a stance on the strike. It's a matter for TFL and the unions to sort out. The way the Tories always politicize this and demand Labour condemn the strike is pretty pathetic. As is their continued obsession with tube driver salaries.

Yes the strike is a bit of a pain in the arse, but that's the point!

and you don't see the point of the Tories approach?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    edited August 2015
    notme said:

http://labourlist.org/2015/08/why-weve-launched-the-labour-campaign-to-end-homelessness/

An article on Labour list about how homelessness is, in this age of austerity a terrible problem, and they need to have a policy to deal with this epidemic. I couldnt resist pointing out in the comments that homelessness is at an historically unusually low level, and substantially lower than what it was a decade ago, even with the mild uptick since the coalition took over in 2010.

When you are in a climate of tight resources, you have to use those resources in the most efficient way possible. Focusing on an issue that has already reduced by two thirds is maybe not where you should be looking.

Do they mean rough sleeping?

Homelessness is much wider. (And there are parts of the homelessness regime which need a look at.)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WikiGuido: Just a Scouse Ed Miliband? Burnham's "credible" vision has no mention of the deficit on pledge card or 5 point plan http://t.co/Cte1VTgm3D
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    England bowl (reckless perhaps, with a rookie attack)

Australia 1 change - Shaun Marsh replaces his brother.

Wood in for Anderson.

Both these attacks could leak runs very quickly. They're both led by experienced but mercurial bowlers, backed up by excellent pacemen who are inexperienced and lose line and length quickly under pressure, and two fairly ordinary spinners. England do though have five bowlers, Australia just four (it's even being said Voges might bowl if needed)!

Could be a very entertaining match, especially as I see Rogers has helpfully thrown away his wicket third ball.
  • Options
    2 in the first over for Broad
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Wood in for Anderson.

Both these attacks could leak runs very quickly. They're both led by experienced but mercurial bowlers, backed up by excellent pacemen who are inexperienced and lose line and length quickly under pressure, and two fairly ordinary spinners. England do though have five bowlers, Australia just four (it's even being said Voges might bowl if needed)!

Could be a very entertaining match, especially as I see Rogers has helpfully thrown away his wicket third ball.

Now 10 for 2 after 1 over!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    ydoethur said:

Ahem...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Wood in for Anderson.

Perhaps they think this would be a 5 over game?!
  • Options
    My word, Smith in the first over too. Broad on fire here.

What was that silly remark I made about it being reckless to bowl? He hasn't needed anyone at the other end yet!
  • Options
    Bloody hell.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Wood in for Anderson.

NOOO! Think of those people who have tickets for tomorrow!

(I haven't any tickets at all, by the way. It's just virtue signalling.)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited August 2015
    Wowzers

Clarke will really appreciate the move from 4 to 5
  • Options
    26 all out is the test record.

Just saying.
  • Options
    WARNER VS WOOD! What's happening?

THis is like watching the Windies in the glory days, when they were 15-5 after three overs.
  • Options
    10-3 !!

What's the lowest score ever for Aus?
    #daretodream
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

Letwin's too otherworldly for that.

But I wonder if Gorgeous George had a word with Matt?

THe man who gave us the word 'omnishambles'? I don't think we should get carried away.

In any case, if that was the idea it hasn't really worked - the Grauniad is still pushing the 'Tories eat babies' line:
    'Kids Company closure: 6,000 children have lost support
    Charity’s founder blames civil servants, ministers and media for its demise, as government seeks alternative services for at risk youngsters
    ...Outside the charity’s premises in Camberwell, south London, Sharlene Reid, 27, who had been supported by Kids Company as a youngster and volunteered there herself, said the street outside had earlier seen protests by parents and children who relied on the charity’s services.

She said: “You just drop the bomb like that and expect people to just move on? There’s people’s lives at stake here, as well as the children. What about them?

“We have to make the government hear us. We were protesting. It was not planned, we all came here because they said it was shutting down, come and collect your things. My friend WhatsApped me this morning and I said, ‘it’s got that bad?’
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/05/kids-company-closure-6000-children-have-lost-support

The one thing I still don't understand: what services exactly did this charity provide? What did it actually do?

Probably stuff that parents should be doing.

• Options
    edited August 2015

26 all out is the test record.

Just saying.

A very similar side was 21-9 against SA not so long ago:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/514029.html

EDIT: what am I saying? Only about 3 men were the same. Shows how quickly Australia have had to change.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    I've got a ticket for day 5... Not looking good.
  • Options
    14 runs leaked off 9 balls... No control without Jimmy
  • Options
    Just out of client meeting, did we win the toss? Time to put on TMS on delay.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wowzers

Gavaskar, I think it was, dropped from opening to 4 during a lean run, and the opener and 3 got ducks. As he walked in, a bowler said 'doesn't matter where you bat, score's still 0.' He went on to score something like 200...
  • Options

Well, you've missed quite a lot of the Aussie innings already I'm afraid...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

Wowzers

Gavaskar, I think it was, dropped from opening to 4 during a lean run, and the opener and 3 got ducks. As he walked in, a bowler said 'doesn't matter where you bat, score's still 0.' He went on to score something like 200...
    Viv Richards, apparently:

http://www.cricketsledges.com/viv-richards-and-sunil-gavaskar/
  • Options

Is a great toss to win and bowl.

Even Jade Dernbach could take wickets on this pitch.
  • Options
    *wipes tea from keyboard*
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Wood in for Anderson.

NOOO! Think of those people who have tickets for tomorrow!

(I haven't any tickets at all, by the way. It's just virtue signalling.)
  • Options
    Oh my word x 4

Will Cook declare at lunch or tea?
  • Options

Oh my word x 4

Will Cook declare at lunch or tea?

Shaun Marsh really was so much better than his bro...

But let's not get carried away. Even on this pitch, Dernbach would surely get carted.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380

Dair said:

ydoethur said:

Dair said:

Of course what really matters is what other countries decide. And there would no doubt be more than enough who would decide that it is a new state (thus removing it as a UN Security Council member and likely leading to Security Council reform).

Recognition is not a Security Council matter, it is a General Assembly matter and as such would only require one objection and a simple majority in the vote.

TBH Dair, I would be surprised if there were a problem for a post-independence UK from that point of view. I'm not an expert and if I'm wrong I'd be happy to be corrected, but I don't recall Sudan being considered a 'new' country after the secession of South Sudan, or Pakistan after the independence of Bangladesh, or Australia following Papua New Guinea's independence (that one was on much the same terms Salmond was asking for Scotland last year).

Like I say, I could be wrong, and none of them had a security council seat or nuclear weapons (at that time) which may make a difference. But I think those would be ample precedents under international law that the UK would continue and Scotland would be a new state.
    So if Edinburgh (population 465,000 about the same as Scotland as a percentage of the UK) seceded from Scotland - Scotland would have to change its name and reapply to join the UN?
    Whit happened to puir, wee Glenrothes? A reductio ad absurdum too far or the sickening realisation you'd screwed up your percentages?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    notme said:

But this virtue signalling is, at least, free on a blog and costless to the taxpayer.

Yesterday's sale of RBS shares into the global financial crisis market, in the aftermath of the most intense point of the European sovereign debt crisis, in a low-interest rate environment, was a massive virtue signal about the "propriety" of privatisation, probably costing the taxpayer millions of pounds.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Dair said:

ydoethur said:

Dair said:

Whit happened to puir, wee Glenrothes? A reductio ad absurdum too far or the sickening realisation you'd screwed up your percentages?
    At least I correct my misteps - hows that $150 oil doing?

Edit - I know 'its neither good nor bad for Scotland that oil is $50/barrel'.....
  • Options
    On topic, Nuneaton.

That brings back happy memories.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

THe man who gave us the word 'omnishambles'? I don't think we should get carried away.

In any case, if that was the idea it hasn't really worked - the Grauniad is still pushing the 'Tories eat babies' line:
    Charity’s founder blames civil servants, ministers and media for its demise, as government seeks alternative services for at risk youngsters
    ...Outside the charity’s premises in Camberwell, south London, Sharlene Reid, 27, who had been supported by Kids Company as a youngster and volunteered there herself, said the street outside had earlier seen protests by parents and children who relied on the charity’s services.

She said: “You just drop the bomb like that and expect people to just move on? There’s people’s lives at stake here, as well as the children. What about them?

“We have to make the government hear us. We were protesting. It was not planned, we all came here because they said it was shutting down, come and collect your things. My friend WhatsApped me this morning and I said, ‘it’s got that bad?’
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/05/kids-company-closure-6000-children-have-lost-support
    The Guardian is not a serious newspaper. It decides its opinions regardless of any facts, frankly. Anything a Tory government does is wrong, in its eyes.

The one thing I still don't understand: what services exactly did this charity provide? What did it actually do? What went on at its Camberwell premises? And are there really 6000 children in South London reliant on KC?

The "6000 kids have lost support" line could mean just that. But it's vague enough to encompass: we have a library here available to 6000 kids and if it closes they can't use it even though in fact only 38 kids actually use it or, if it closes, they can go to another library a bit further away.

The Guardian's editorial policy is "what can we publish today which might embarrass the Tories? And by the way, make sure the BBC have plenty of copies - they use us for their story board."

• Options
  • Options
    So at the crease, two batsmen who haven't been able to buy a run this summer, then we're into the tail.

This is astonishing. Any markets on whether Michael Clarke will resign mid-match to let someone else (Smith) explain the disaster to the press?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    ydoethur said:

calum said:

Sensible move by Ruth D, unless there is a major in sentiment I can't see the Tories or LibDems getting a list seat in Glasgow. Tommy Sheridan is the wild card candidate.

In terms of Lothian, she'll need to ensure she is at the top of the list to be sure of getting a seat, not sure what the process the Tories use to determine this though.

Nor do I, but I'm guessing that it's probably not names out of a hat and that being the leader may be of some small assistance to her.

The list systems used in this country absolutely stink. They are the most blatant form of political patronage in elections - ignoring the Lords, for a minute - since the abolition of the rotten boroughs in 1832.
    Your mention of rotten boroughs prodded me into thinking that Labour has brought back the central concept of rotten boroughs i.e. "Cash for Votes". However they have tweaked the process by making the voter pay rather than vice versa; an insight into Labour's grip on the meaning of democracy?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    "Ohio, the Nuneaton of US politics"

Excellent. Presumably this makes Liverpool Walton Hawaii?
  • Options
    Something wrong that over - nobody lost their wicket. You can't say Clarke didn't try very hard, but he failed. Not good enough.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    F*ck me.
  • Options
    What a catch.
  • Options
    21 for 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Normal service now resumed.
  • Options
    To slightly misquote Mhir Bhose after that earlier match I linked to: 'No pitch in the world is a 21 for 5 pitch.'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    edited August 2015

Dair said:

ydoethur said:

Dair said:

Edit - I know 'its neither good nor bad for Scotland that oil is $50/barrel'.....
    PB's very own Vicky Pollard strikes back with a zinger!

'Why can't you tell the difference between 1% & 10%?'

'Yebbut oil prices, nobbut NHS Scotland waiting times, yebbut Police Scotland call centres, nobbut Salmonds tartan trews...' etc unto infinity.
  • Options
    To think most of us were worried that we were going to miss Jimmy in this match.
  • Options
    Bad news guys, we've brought Nevill to the crease.

In the fifth over...
  • Options
    @DavidRoe92: Just worked out Tube drivers are all cricket fans.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Cue for record partnerships for 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th wickets as England bowlers toil in the heat bowling with witless field placements by Cook.

Wasn't that the perceived wisdom not so long ago?

Still stunned by that score.
  • Options

So they'll be back to work by lunchtime?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just dipped my toes in the water with a +£55/-£200 lay of Australia.

There is no way they should be 7-2 here.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    ydoethur said:

calum said:

Sensible move by Ruth D, unless there is a major in sentiment I can't see the Tories or LibDems getting a list seat in Glasgow. Tommy Sheridan is the wild card candidate.

In terms of Lothian, she'll need to ensure she is at the top of the list to be sure of getting a seat, not sure what the process the Tories use to determine this though.

Nor do I, but I'm guessing that it's probably not names out of a hat and that being the leader may be of some small assistance to her.

The list systems used in this country absolutely stink. They are the most blatant form of political patronage in elections - ignoring the Lords, for a minute - since the abolition of the rotten boroughs in 1832.
    Yes, including the one-person list used for elections to Westminster.
  • Options

Dair said:

ydoethur said:

Dair said:

PB's very own Vicky Pollard strikes back with a zinger!

'Why can't you tell the difference between 1% & 10%?'

'Yebbut oil prices, nobbut NHS Scotland waiting times, yebbut Police Scotland call centres, nobbut Salmonds tartan trews...etc' unto infinity.
    The original point still stands - secession of 8% of a countries population does not lead to the cavalcade of devastations wreaked upon the remaining 92% of some Nats fond imaginings....and as usual, I haven't intruded on the private grief of the SNP's bungled Police reforms, but revealing that you are so sensitive to it.....
  • Options
    Phil Tufnell, contender for Order of the Bleedin' Obvious:

'Australia need to try and get some sort of partnership going here.'
  • Options
    Anyone backed the draw?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

At least the pb comments are on form, unlike Australia.

• Options

Anyone backed the draw?

Not really, but it is green on my screen ;p
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Re what KC did. Camilla Long wasn't very impressed and describes the set up as a hippy-dippy version of Google mixed with Batman's narcissicm. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1577174.ece

Frankly, it sounds a bit like Scientology to my ears when I read about *weekly supervisions* with staff. Camilla met 75 staff and 2 children over 9hrs over 2 days.

Everyone appears to get these from kids, to their parents to the staff:

- reflexology
    - hypnotism
    - massage [with the door unlocked]
    - spa treatments
    - manicures
    - facials
    - meals
    - pocket money in brown envelops

- 73% of funds goes on staff, there appear to be more staff than children and a huge focus on labeling behaviour [that sounds pretty average] with -isms.

On Batman, she claims that she can barely read and can't do sums [despite being at boarding school from 11yrs], has 3 PAs, has never read a novel and can't drive or even open an ironing board.

Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Arfur Daley has died
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

ydoethur said:

At least the pb comments are on form, unlike Australia.

Geoff Boycott is on now. Judging from his comments, he's backed a draw. Oh wait, it's Boycott, so he's just being himself.

He hasn't mentioned his grandmother yet, but it can't be long.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,027
    Mr. F, no, I can't say I have.

It's important for fiction to be able to delve into grim areas, whether that's violence, sex, psychological pain or humour that is deemed to cross the line. It's one of various areas that makes me worried about freedom of speech given the bleating that comes from some quarters about how offended/upset they are.

As an aside, I have acquired a puppy. She has mastered the art of going outside twice, then urinating in the kitchen. The plus side of having had a large (30-35kg, circa 4st) dog that was prone to diarrhoea that took 1-2 hours to clean up is that puppy crap is like playing a videogame on easy when you've already beaten it on nightmare mode.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Actor George Cole - Arfur Daley has died - at least at a good age - 90.

Where will the SNP go for policies now......
  • Options
    Feck me

6 down.
  • Options
    I'm going to be so pissed off when I wake up from this dream, and the Aussies are in fact 500/0
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This is just getting silly now. Surely that's the death knell of Clarke's career?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,849
    edited August 2015
    All you need to know about the Ashes.

https://twitter.com/mattwardman/status/629240486214025216
  • Options
    Incredible

Poor shot from Clarke

• Options
    What's wrong with the Aussies?
  • Options
    Who'd back Australia at any price now?
  • Options
    England batting before lunch?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Well they are 5.6 on Betfair.

I've laid the bejeesus out of them, see downthread.
  • Options

I'm going to be so pissed off when I wake up from this dream, and the Aussies are in fact 500/0

6 overs - only 2 without wickets.

Astonishing.

My remark about the wisdom of bowling first at the start looks more cretinous by the second.
  • Options
    One thing that has slightly upset me about the Aussie batting today, Chris Rogers' duck was his first in test cricket in his penultimate game

Would have been nice if he had gone through his test career duck less
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, we all bugger things up sometimes. I made a loss in the first six races of this F1 season.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

6 overs - only 2 without wickets.

Astonishing.

My remark about the wisdom of bowling first at the start looks more cretinous by the second.
    Fortunately for you, no one on PB ever remembers somebody else making a bad prediction.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I know. And just 4.33 with Ladbrokes.

The pitch isn't doing much, confidence will be high and terrible for the Aussies. Even if they rescue this to say 150 you can see them repeating the same mistake in the second innings.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

The Guardian is not a serious newspaper. It decides its opinions regardless of any facts, frankly. Anything a Tory government does is wrong, in its eyes.

The one thing I still don't understand: what services exactly did this charity provide? What did it actually do? What went on at its Camberwell premises? And are there really 6000 children in South London reliant on KC?

The "6000 kids have lost support" line could mean just that. But it's vague enough to encompass: we have a library here available to 6000 kids and if it closes they can't use it even though in fact only 38 kids actually use it or, if it closes, they can go to another library a bit further away.

I'd assume that it is 'we've supported 6,000 kids in the last 20 years'...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    On the subject of horses, Herself tells me that the University of Sussex have run a research project which proves horses have facial expressions which show their mood and emotions. Well, ffs, who would have thought it? Anyone who has been around horses for even a short time could have told them that. What next I wonder, HEFC gives a research grant to a team seeking to explore whether the sun really does rise in the East?

At a time when funding for science research is under such severe strain what on earth are we doing spending taxpayers money to prove the bleedin' obvious and common knowledge?
  • Options
    So far about 80,000 spectators who bought tickets for the Ashes have had their day fail to materialise due to an early finish. Looks like that could hit 100,000 with this match.
  • Options
    Boycott now saying that this is the worst batting he has ever seen from an Australian side in 50 years of watching cricket.

Hard to imagine that it's wrong - when have Australia ever collapsed like this in England? At least they made it to about 30 before the procession began at Headingley in 1981.
  • Options
    What's your new lady's name? Love the video game analogy!

I have a kitty with a runny bum that nothing will fix. Her favourite trick is going in the tray, then jumping on my knee/bed... I push her off, then she washes her tail...

Mr. F, no, I can't say I have.

It's important for fiction to be able to delve into grim areas, whether that's violence, sex, psychological pain or humour that is deemed to cross the line. It's one of various areas that makes me worried about freedom of speech given the bleating that comes from some quarters about how offended/upset they are.

As an aside, I have acquired a puppy. She has mastered the art of going outside twice, then urinating in the kitchen. The plus side of having had a large (30-35kg, circa 4st) dog that was prone to diarrhoea that took 1-2 hours to clean up is that puppy crap is like playing a videogame on easy when you've already beaten it on nightmare mode.

• Options
    Mr. Llama, when at university and writing essays and so forth, it was important to cite published studies.

The most moronic of which was a study that literally showed black is darker than white.
  • Options

On the subject of horses, Herself tells me that the University of Sussex have run a research project which proves horses have facial expressions which show their mood and emotions. Well, ffs, who would have thought it? Anyone who has been around horses for even a short time could have told them that. What next I wonder, HEFC gives a research grant to a team seeking to explore whether the sun really does rise in the East?

At a time when funding for science research is under such severe strain what on earth are we doing spending taxpayers money to prove the bleedin' obvious and common knowledge?

There was a time when a research grant was given to find the way to cook the perfect piece of toast. Apparently it was with a toaster. (Honestly, I am not making that up.)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't you have been better backing England?
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Meg. Got her suddenly [parents keen to get one]. I would've preferred to think of a better name, but Meg's not awful and we can't call her 'dog' whilst I spend several weeks contemplating the matter.
  • Options
    She claimed 36 000...
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

I'd assume that it is 'we've supported 6,000 kids in the last 20 years'...

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Moses_ said:

Because he's dead?

But this was the point I made at the outset: because the accusation of paedophilia is so toxic, and the belief that there is 'no smoke without fire' there is a very strong case of anonymity being preserved until, at least, court is reached.

What Wiltshire police did was disgraceful.
  • Options
    Australia made it to 56-1 in the Botham test, then lost 5-12 after Willis switched ends.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63291.html
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Miss Plato, for some reason that reminds me of Doctor Evil:
    One BILLION children!

Edited extra bit: good cricket comment from the BBC livefeed:
    "Alex Norton: Are they... are they parodying us? It's method sledging."
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

Boycott now saying that this is the worst batting he has ever seen from an Australian side in 50 years of watching cricket.

Hard to imagine that it's wrong - when have Australia ever collapsed like this in England? At least they made it to about 30 before the procession began at Headingley in 1981.

Weren't they about 70-1?

Edit 56-1
  • Options
    If Kids Company was providing all these services, what on earth was Southwark council doing? They're supposed to be the organisation providing services in that area.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't you have been better backing England?
    Probably :D
  • Options
    Damning stat of the day: Mitchell Johnson has faced more balls than all Australia's top 3 put together. And he's only faced 9 and has yet to score.
  • Options
    When was the last time three different England bowlers took a five for in successive innings?