Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The issues facing Britain: Immigration and NHS down/ Defenc

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    Lyth looking solid...erhhh...not.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    I hope Peter from Putney didn't put too much on the draw yesterday !

Looking unlikely now...
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    Just FYI for those of you upgrading to Windows 10 - Be aware that by default it shares your WiFi Network passwords with all those in your contacts list. (https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Lennon, that seems a bit crackers.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Let's see if our top four can muster some runs...

What makes me laugh is all the sneering comments about 'past it' and 'useless' Anderton on various interweb forums (not here I think) after the last Test.
    Nope. Anderson and Broad are still very good bowlers, what we don't have is variation in the bowling attack when batsmen get set.

Starc making it really move.
    Good new-ball conditions.
    Edgbaston usually better to bat on day 2... if we can last that long ;-)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Corbyn has finally moved ahead of Burnham with Betfair Exchange:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/#/politics/market/1.103946886

Burnham being matched over 3.0 now. Cooper crash yet to come...
    Still some dreamers that want to back David Miliband at 160-200...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Plato said:

WP vs5.1

Those were the days.

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

I was an orange/black girl myself.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Just installed Windows 10

It's pretty good

What advantage does it provide over your previous operating system?
    I'm upgrading from MS-DOS 2.11, and I find the new fangled "windows" and the colour display utterly enchanting.
    You'd have liked Arthur OS then; fresh for 1988:

http://www.mjpye.org.uk/images/screens/riscos-01.gif
    Remember Zarch?
    I just realized that this is the 30th anniversary of my getting my first PC, at which time I was with IBM.

WordPerfect, dBase and Lotus 123 were the key programs you needed.
    The first version of WP I had was 4.1. V5 let you see the page view with actual variable width font formatted. The printer drivers were better too.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    JWisemann said:

I'm surprisingly not a fan of Hezbollah's religious fundamentalism, but the simple fact is they are widely popular in Lebanon for repelling Israeli incursions and occupations.

Finally something we can agree upon. They used to gain grudging respect even from Sunni and Christians for taking on the Israelis, but they are squandering that political capital by getting involved in Syria. The other aspect of their popularity is that, in addition to the religious military wing, they actually have a very competent and relatively uncorrupt social welfare programme, and certain of their Ministers have performed admirably well in government.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618

Re: Unison

Burnham doesn't deserve his lead over Cooper let alone Corbyn now.

Already drifting on Betfair.

Jez we can!
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

I'm upgrading from MS-DOS 2.11, and I find the new fangled "windows" and the colour display utterly enchanting.

Remember Zarch?
    I just realized that this is the 30th anniversary of my getting my first PC, at which time I was with IBM.

I remember my dad getting an IBM Compatible 8088 back in 1985. I think it was running MS-DOS 3 - great fun.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737

Mr. Lennon, that seems a bit crackers.

Umm... You might well think that, I couldn't possibly comment. ;-)

(But hence I thought it worth highlighting)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Cooper as second choice by Unison is interesting. Is it tactical, with the view that Corbyn's best chance is against Cooper? With that in mind it may have been Corbyn's camp that released yesterdays poll.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: Unison endorse Jeremy Corbyn first and Yvette Cooper second for Labour leadership. Given Burnham's health brief, that will be shock for them

@steve_hawkes: Stunning. Unison union endorses Jeremy Corbyn. Huge development. Yvette Cooper's camp will be stunned.

The Sunil on Sunday to follow? ;)
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

I remember my dad getting an IBM Compatible 8088 back in 1985. I think it was running MS-DOS 3 - great fun.

Even better if you swapped out the 8088 chip for an NEC V20 chip, which was about 30% faster.
  • Options
    Plato said:

WP vs5.1

Those were the days.

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

I remember using Windows 95 at Uni when it first came out!

1995 was also the year I used email for the very first time :)
  • Options
    Mr. Lennon, on the plus side, hermits get to feel smug for once.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Basically I'm saying that a party responsible for materially aiding the Taliban, ISIS, the Khmer Rouge and Saddam Hussein probably shouldn't get on their high horse about a few diplomatic words about some minor local guerrillas.

Wait, who are you claiming materially aided the Taliban, and how are you claiming they materially aided them?
    Don't know the details, but the US did fund the mujahideen fighting the Russians in Afghanistan. Maybe you could start your investigation here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone
    I believe JWisemann was claiming that the Conservative Party funded them, although he remains notably silent on this matter. Perhaps he is still reeling from how silly he looked after he claimed that Hezbollah were a minor militia.
    Hezbollah are of importance in the tiny country of Lebanon but minimal importance outside of their immediate area, unlike the Islamic fundamentalists materially aided directly and indirectly by conservative governments.

The Thatcher government directly aided the Mujahadin in Afghanistan, many of whom became the Taliban. They also aided the Zia government in Pakistan, heavily responsible for the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in both countries. They also provided massive assistance to Saudi Arabia, the place singlehandedly responsible for the scourge of Wahhabism and the rise of AQ and ISIS. Also much of the aid given to Syrian and Libyan rebels ended up in the hands of what would become ISIS. Support for Saddam and Pol Pot's forces is well documented, of course.
  • Options

Plato said:

WP vs5.1

Those were the days.

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

In 1995 I remember shopping at Christmas time, and overheard an older lady (who was evidently buying a new computer for her offspring), when asked by the assistant if she wanted Win95 included in the bundle said: Oh no, I don't want something that is going to go out of date in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited July 2015
    Tim_B said:

JonathanD said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

Even better if you swapped out the 8088 chip for an NEC V20 chip, which was about 30% faster.
    Hah, we never got that far. Typing speed however was probably the rate limiting step rather than raw computer power.

And as long as it played Defender I was happy!

• Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    MTimT said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Basically I'm saying that a party responsible for materially aiding the Taliban, ISIS, the Khmer Rouge and Saddam Hussein probably shouldn't get on their high horse about a few diplomatic words about some minor local guerrillas.

Wait, who are you claiming materially aided the Taliban, and how are you claiming they materially aided them?
    @JEO. It is becoming increasingly evident with each additional post that Mr J "Asinine" Weismann knows not about what he is talking and is way out of his depth. He just keeps digging. But at least he is ideologically pure.
    pure bilge more like.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Internal data but:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

.@YvetteCooperMP is neck and neck with @Corbyn4Leader in Cooper phone/text/canvass and other data soon to be released. Burnham 3rd.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, sounds very helpful for Cooper.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Don't know the details, but the US did fund the mujahideen fighting the Russians in Afghanistan. Maybe you could start your investigation here:
    I believe JWisemann was claiming that the Conservative Party funded them, although he remains notably silent on this matter. Perhaps he is still reeling from how silly he looked after he claimed that Hezbollah were a minor militia.
    Hezbollah are of importance in the tiny country of Lebanon but minimal importance outside of their immediate area, unlike the Islamic fundamentalists materially aided directly and indirectly by conservative governments.

The Thatcher government directly aided the Mujahadin in Afghanistan, many of whom became the Taliban. They also aided the Zia government in Pakistan, heavily responsible for the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in both countries. They also provided massive assistance to Saudi Arabia, the place singlehandedly responsible for the scourge of Wahhabism and the rise of AQ and ISIS. Also much of the aid given to Syrian and Libyan rebels ended up in the hands of what would become ISIS. Support for Saddam and Pol Pot's forces is well documented, of course.
    You claimed the Thatcher government aided the Taliban, not the 1980s Mujihadeen (who predominantly became the anti-Taliban northern Alliance).
  • Options

Plato said:

WP vs5.1

Those were the days.

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

In 1995 I remember shopping at Christmas time, and overheard an older lady (who was evidently buying a new computer for her offspring), when asked by the assistant if she wanted Win95 included in the bundle said: Oh no, I don't want something that is going to go out of date in a couple of weeks.
    That sounds suspiciously like one of those "I can't find the any key." stories ;)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Sounds very helpful for Mr. Price too :smile:
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

MTimT said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

@JEO. It is becoming increasingly evident with each additional post that Mr J "Asinine" Weismann knows not about what he is talking and is way out of his depth. He just keeps digging. But at least he is ideologically pure.
    pure bilge more like.
    And he is remarkably silent about their most successful leader in recent years and all his interesting Arab friends and business dealings.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698

Sounds very helpful for Mr. Price too :smile:
    Me too, plus I've realised I've got an awesome headline were she to become leader.

"Time for Balls, Yvette?"
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

WP vs5.1

Those were the days.

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's pretty good

Remember Zarch?

That sounds suspiciously like one of those "I can't find the any key." stories ;)
    Honestly, it really happened!

• Options
    I assume everyone on here is simply appalled at what happened to Cecil the lion.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    It really can't be understated just how badly Burnham has screwed this up. This really should've been a walk in the park for him: less than a year ago, he was getting a rapturous reception at party conference and was topping Labourlist shadow cabinet polls by more than 30% over his closest rivals.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

You claimed the Thatcher government aided the Taliban, not the 1980s Mujihadeen (who predominantly became the anti-Taliban northern Alliance).
    No. Not all Mujahidin became Taliban, but the Taliban were firmly a product of the Mujahadin.
  • Options
    That £100 I topped up on Burnham not to win last night @ 4-6 with Ladbrokes seems like it was a smart play.
  • Options
    Mr. 565, some of us have been saying for years that he's a lightweight ;)

Mr. B, the bloke in question sounds like an utter cock.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh
    .@YvetteCooperMP is neck and neck with @Corbyn4Leader in Cooper phone/text/canvass and other data soon to be released. Burnham 3rd.

Who would have thought the wife of Ed Balls could come up with all these smart alec leakings of voodoo polls? I mean Ed is sat at home minding the kids, isn't he. He cannot have time can he to be part of this can he? And poor wittering Yvette would never be a convenient prop for her behind the scenes rejected husband would she?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Why doesn't Yvette Cooper's campaign team release new policies/ideas about the future direction of the Labour party instead of polls on how well she is apparently doing?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That £100 I topped up on Burnham not to win last night @ 4-6 with Ladbrokes seems like it was a smart play.
    The Shadow Cabinet Minister who said "Andy Burnham is Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent" got it spot on.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Danny565 said:

It really can't be understated just how badly Burnham has screwed this up. This really should've been a walk in the park for him: less than a year ago, he was getting a rapturous reception at party conference and was topping Labourlist shadow cabinet polls by more than 30% over his closest rivals.

He didn't even need any help! I think Tory Central Office must have just looked on in amazement as he ritually disembowelled himself!
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Danny565 said:

Very good point about Burnham. :+1:
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Artist said:

Cooper as second choice by Unison is interesting. Is it tactical, with the view that Corbyn's best chance is against Cooper? With that in mind it may have been Corbyn's camp that released yesterdays poll.

Maybe it's Unison's poll that was leaked.

Fits their preferences, justifies their choice.
  • Options
    Framing oneself as the STOP Corbyn candidate seems to be a battle Cooper is winning over Burnham now.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

No. Not all Mujahidin became Taliban, but the Taliban were firmly a product of the Mujahadin.
    That doesn't contradict what I said. You claimed the Conservative Party armed the Taliban.
  • Options

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

Who would have thought the wife of Ed Balls could come up with all these smart alec leakings of voodoo polls? I mean Ed is sat at home minding the kids, isn't he. He cannot have time can he to be part of this can he? And poor wittering Yvette would never be a convenient prop for her behind the scenes rejected husband would she?
    He's lecturing at Harvard now.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Oh, and Lebanon is a country with a similar population to Ireland. Hezbollah are one of the major forces facing Israel and a major player in the Syrian civil war, a country of 20 million. They have a standing professional army of a thousand men and almost 10,000 volunteers. Keep digging.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Unison going for Corbyn/Cooper is facepalm for him.
    Danny565 said:

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Pulpstar said:

Framing oneself as the STOP Corbyn candidate seems to be a battle Cooper is winning over Burnham now.

While Burnham is not immediately, obviously terrible, Cooper does seem the safer, blander pair of hands.
  • Options
    44 overs left to play in this session, England can almost win the match here.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Pulpstar said:

The Shadow Cabinet Minister who said "Andy Burnham is Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent" got it spot on.
    Yeah but that sexy accent is a big vote winner.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2015
    When I had a pc plonked on my desk with zero training, it was Windows 3-1 about 1997 and its most impressive feature was solitaire which I played endlessly.
    Upgrades by our IT dept to the next version usually happened when a new version came out.. eg we got win 95 when win 98 came out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I've asked Shadsy if this is feeling like Scotland all over again on Twitter :D
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Pulpstar said:

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

Teaching what?
  • Options
    Financier said:

Pulpstar said:

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

Teaching what?
    Economics I'd assume...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

That doesn't contradict what I said. You claimed the Conservative Party armed the Taliban.
    No, I claimed Thatcher's government armed the Taliban, which, as a prominent component of the Mujahadin, they did.

And I think a guerrilla army of thousand people can happily described as minor in terms of global significance.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: So..to recap Jeremy Corbyn now has backing of the two biggest unions, is ahead in the polls and is the bookmakers favourite #BigMo
  • Options
    Plato said:

Unison going for Corbyn/Cooper is facepalm for him.

Danny565 said:

He ran a Hillary Clinton-style campaign from the beginning: took victory for granted and thought he could just drift along without taking any risks or saying anything to inspire people.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Danny565 said:

Absolutely. I've been thinking for a while that Burnham would be even more of a gift to the other parties than Corbyn, who would at least attract a lot of attention and momentum, and offer a clear alternative. I've seen nothing to indicate that Burnham is a leader by instinct, rather than a vaguely competent frontbencher. And he got his backside kicked on the NHS by the Tories - the Tories! - at the election.

Are we near the point where the only way of stopping Corbyn is for Yvette Cooper to make a generous, open and comprehensive offer to Burnham to stand down and back her? Andy Burnham shadow Home Secretary perhaps?

• Options
    edited July 2015

When I had a pc plonked on my desk with zero training, it was Windows 3-1 about 1997 and its most impressive feature was solitaire which I played endlessly.
    Upgrades by our IT dept to the next version usually happened when a new version came out.. eg we got win 95 when win 98 came out.

It was probably Windows 95, which replaced DOS (actually it combined the two).

Even Windows 8.1 still has the command prompt, where you can use DOS commands.
  • Options
    In the Labur Mayoraly, you could back {any Tory, Jowell, Khan} and get 10%-15% back depending on how much you want to shop around.
  • Options
    Yvette looks over the edge... “I want Labour to be able to change the world once again. But we can only change it if we win. If we make the wrong choice in this election, we will be condemning our world to a Tory future.”
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: So..to recap Jeremy Corbyn now has backing of the two biggest unions, is ahead in the polls and is the bookmakers favourite #BigMo

Are you still with 'Tories for Burnham'?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr B.

"I assume everyone on here is simply appalled at what happened to Cecil the lion."

I am. He wasn't even edible!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    Tim_B said:

I had occasion to use OS/2 back in the day; the joint MS/IBM project that became redundant when MS did Windows NT. OS/2 Warp was brilliant - it ran Windows apps as well.

The Operating System world is too boring nowadays ...
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Plato said:

Yvette looks over the edge... “I want Labour to be able to change the world once again. But we can only change it if we win. If we make the wrong choice in this election, we will be condemning our world to a Tory future.”

I'm surprised that she didn't add; "Will no-one think of the children ... that Liz doesn't have of course", followed by one of her smirks.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Yvette looks over the edge...

You would have thought that at least one of Kendall/Burnham/Cooper would stand down. Some hope!
  • Options
    LOL
    Disraeli said:

Plato said:

I'm surprised that she didn't add; "Will no-one think of the children ... that Liz doesn't have of course", followed by one of her smirks.
  • Options
    taffys said:

You would have thought that at least one of Kendall/Burnham/Cooper would stand down. Some hope!

Under AV, you don't need to stand down to back someone else.

Jeez, I think we need some more threads on AV.

I think I'll headline that piece

"If AV is good for electing the Tory leader, then its good enough for the country"
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Plato said:

:D
  • Options
    Australia will be batting again tonight
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    And now cue the entrance of Bell. Century beckons?
  • Options
    Lyth goes.

Looked the weaker of the pair before the break but better after...
  • Options

And now cue the entrance of Bell. Century beckons?

Well, I was critical yesterday. But 50+ here and I'll alter my view.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    CD13 said:

Mr B.

"I assume everyone on here is simply appalled at what happened to Cecil the lion."

Made a lovely rug though.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

I had occasion to use OS/2 back in the day; the joint MS/IBM project that became redundant when MS did Windows NT. OS/2 Warp was brilliant - it ran Windows apps as well.

The Operating System world is too boring nowadays ...
    OS/2 was great.

I got involved in IBM's AIX rollout which was fun. Some builds would run on some hard drives and not others, depending on their size.
  • Options

Australia will be batting again tonight

Tremendous attempt at the old reverse jinx.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Ed Balls is to take up a new job in the US, as a Harvard University academic researching financial stability.

The former shadow chancellor, who was the highest profile Labour MP to lose their seat in the general election, has been made senior fellow at the university in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Balls will be expected to be on campus for at least three to four weeks each term over the course of his year-long unpaid appointment at Harvard’s Kennedy school, which he attended as a scholar.

His brief covers European integration, international patterns of economic growth, investment, productivity, wages and employment.

John Haigh, co-director of the centre and executive dean of the Kennedy school, praised the former MP, a Harvard graduate, for his work in the public sector.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/17/
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Maybe a tad too far - not unless they start using firearms too.

I'd certainly not rule out water cannon or even rubber low-velocity bullets or tasers and, in fact, I'd be moving such assets there now.

I also wouldn't rule out uniformed territorial army troops as aid to the civil power. Partly for reinforcement and partly because it would send a clear message.

Do you know where there are any water cannon going spare...?

:trollface:
  • Options

taffys said:

Under AV, you don't need to stand down to back someone else.

Jeez, I think we need some more threads on AV.

I think I'll headline that piece

"If AV is good for electing the Tory leader, then its good enough for the country"
    Hurrah for an AV thread!

• Options
    My Uncle Cedric and Aunty Sheridan had their Pekingese made into a rug.

Bit of a talking point. I was very fond of their Timkin rug as a small child. The 70s was surely the decade when taste died.
    watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

• Options
    Financier said:

Ed Balls is to take up a new job in the US, as a Harvard University academic researching financial stability.

The former shadow chancellor, who was the highest profile Labour MP to lose their seat in the general election, has been made senior fellow at the university in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Balls will be expected to be on campus for at least three to four weeks each term over the course of his year-long unpaid appointment at Harvard’s Kennedy school, which he attended as a scholar.

His brief covers European integration, international patterns of economic growth, investment, productivity, wages and employment.

John Haigh, co-director of the centre and executive dean of the Kennedy school, praised the former MP, a Harvard graduate, for his work in the public sector.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/17/

John Haigh - wasn't he the acid bath murderer?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    "Balls will be expected to be on campus for at least three to four weeks each term over the course of his year-long unpaid appointment at Harvard’s Kennedy school, which he attended as a scholar."

That's not really a job is it. Unpaid, 3 weeks per term....
  • Options
    Miss Plato, that seems a bloody odd way to treat a pet dog.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    That sounds awful, it must have looked like a very small, flattened Tribble.
    Plato said:

Bit of a talking point. I was very fond of their Timkin rug as a small child. The 70s was surely the decade when taste died.

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

• Options

"Balls will be expected to be on campus for at least three to four weeks each term over the course of his year-long unpaid appointment at Harvard’s Kennedy school, which he attended as a scholar."

There's a word for that.

"Internship."
  • Options
    Lyth out chasing a wide one...AGAIN....
  • Options
    edited July 2015

There's a word for that.

"Internship."
    Where is the Guardian outrage :-) Eddie is being exploited here.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

American universities are famous for the long summer breaks.

Wherever Ed is now, he most certainly is not “lecturing at Harvard”.

First day fall term classes are September 2nd, which is when lectures begin.

Though as Ed is an unpaid Research Fellow, he doesn’t lecture and probably doesn’t even have to keep term.
  • Options
    I've no idea what he died from - but the rug was small but splendidly furry. They had it between the hearth and coffee table.

My mother had our cat stuffed. That was the most tragically funny bit of appalling taxidermy. Bedraggled doesn't do it justice. We all loved him, but it was cry-with-laughter bad. He was called PrettyPaws and was an often vicious white fluffy monster.

Plato said:

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited July 2015

Pulpstar said:

Internal data but:
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh

American universities are famous for the long summer breaks.

Wherever Ed is now, he most certainly is not “lecturing at Harvard”.

First day fall term classes are September 2nd, which is when lectures begin.

Though as Ed is an unpaid Research Fellow, he doesn’t lecture and probably doesn’t even have to keep term.
    So he's shuffling around an empty campus pretending he's someone important. Probably painting classrooms, or reordering books in the library. "I could have been the Chancellor once..."

I'm surprised his old chum Gordon Brown hasn't offered Ed a high paying role within his charity, or pulled a few strings on the speaking circuit.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Tim_B said:

My best "oh it really happened" story is from when my wife was shopping at Fashion Island*. She was accosted by a saleswoman who was aggressively trying to sell her a store card. On being told that she didn't want one because she lived in London...

Assistant: "Wow, I'm really impressed. How do you manage that?"

Mrs Charles: "What do you mean?"

Assistant: "I couldn't possibly live anywhere they don't speak English"

* yes, it really exists
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    edited July 2015
    JEO said:

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

Given his remarkable grasp of foreign affairs, I am wondering if Mr Wisemann is actually David Miliband?
  • Options
    Plato said:

I've no idea what he died from - but the rug was small but splendidly furry. They had it between the hearth and coffee table.

My mother had our cat stuffed. That was the most tragically funny bit of appalling taxidermy. Bedraggled doesn't do it justice. We all loved him, but it was cry-with-laughter bad. He was called PrettyPaws and was an often vicious white fluffy monster.

Plato said:

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

My two German Shepherds - Max and Rommel - were cremated and are in nice wooden boxes, each with a plaque, on my mantlepiece. I have also kept their collars and leashes.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

Tim_B said:

My best "oh it really happened" story is from when my wife was shopping at Fashion Island*. She was accosted by a saleswoman who was aggressively trying to sell her a store card. On being told that she didn't want one because she lived in London...

Assistant: "Wow, I'm really impressed. How do you manage that?"

Mrs Charles: "What do you mean?"

Assistant: "I couldn't possibly live anywhere they don't speak English"

* yes, it really exists

Given the levels of immigration into London, maybe the shop assistant had it right. :smiley:

• Options
    I've got my doggies collars and leashes too - plus kitty collars.

Mine are buried in the garden.

For anyone who's wondered about why wet dogs smell like wet dogs http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3178510/Why-WET-DOG-smells-distinctive-Canine-pong-contains-notes-honey-almonds-touch-sulphur.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

My two German Shepherds - Max and Rommel - were cremated and are in nice wooden boxes, each with a plaque, on my mantlepiece. I have also kept their collars and leashes.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    The Beeb web site is saying that since Strauss retired, Cook's opening partners have managed an average of 28.61. That is way higher than I would have thought just from memory. My impression is that it has been a fairly consistent disaster. I guess a few big scores have upped the average.
  • Options
    Plato said:

For anyone who's wondered about why wet dogs smell like wet dogs http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3178510/Why-WET-DOG-smells-distinctive-Canine-pong-contains-notes-honey-almonds-touch-sulphur.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

Are they marked?

My family home had one in the garden from a previous owner. Didn't know what to do with it.
  • Options
    Only with bushes.

We used to threaten any naughty kitties with becoming a bush...

Plato said:

Tim_B said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

watford30 said:

CD13 said:

Mr B.

Are they marked?

My family home had one in the garden from a previous owner. Didn't know what to do with it.
  • Options
    Well Ed Balls certainly has alot of time to practice the piano anyway.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, he must be thinking he'd be in a position to be leader now, if it hadn't been for those pesky voters.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

Miss Plato, that seems a bloody odd way to treat a pet dog.

Better than a Pekingese deserves.... Ugh. It's not a dog. It's a snuffling Donald Trump hairdo in a collar.