Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron and the post election narrative

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron and the post election narrative

Last night, the Tory strategy for Friday morning emerged, David Cameron will declare victory on Friday if he has most votes and seats and cast a Labour led government as illegitimate, The Tories will say

Read the full story here

Comments

• RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2015
    DEBATE ON THE ADDRESS.

HC Deb 21 January 1924 vol 169 cc532-685 532
    [FIFTH DAY.]

Order read for resuming Adjourned Debate on Amendment [17th January] to Question [15th January].

"That an humble Address be presented to His Majesty, as followeth:—

Most Gracious Sovereign,

We, Your Majesty's most dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament."—[Mr. Banks.]

Which Amendment was, at the end of the Question, to add the words

"But it is our duty respectfully to submit to your Majesty that Your Majesty's present advisers have not the confidence of this House:"—[Mr. Clynes.]

Question again proposed, "That those words be there added."

[Debate ensued]

Mr. MacDONALD rose in, his place, and claimed to move, "That the Question be now put."
    Question, "That the Question be now put," put, and agreed to.

Question put accordingly, "That those words be there added."

The House divided: Ayes, 328; Noes, 256.

Words there added.

Main Question, as amended, proposed.

Several hon. Members having risen to speak,

Mr. MacDONALD rose in his place and claimed the Main Question, as amended.

[Several Points of Order]

Main Question, as amended, put accordingly.

The House divided: Ayes, 328; Noes, 251.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1924/jan/21/debate-on-the-address

Resolved,

"That an humble Address be presented to His Majesty, as followeth:—

Most Gracious Sovereign, We, Your Majesty's most dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament. But it is our duty respectfully to submit to your Majesty that Your Majesty's present advisers have not the confidence of this House."

To be presented by Privy Councillors or members of His Majesty's Household.
    His MAJESTY'S ANSWER TO ADDRESS.

HC Deb 22 January 1924 vol 169 c687 687
    THE VICE CHAMBERLAIN OF THE HOUSEHOLD (Captain Douglas Hacking) reported His Majesty's Answer to the Address as followeth: "I thank you for your loyal and dutiful Address, and will at once give it my careful consideration."

[Later that day, Baldwin resigned and the King summoned MacDonald].
  • PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Just got one warning. Be careful of lower tory polls at a bank holiday weekend.

Thats all
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited May 2015
    Another Tory ploy would be to put 'The Vow' and then some, in the queens speech, then have the SNP vote against it.......That could be hung round their necks for decades like the 1979 vote....'But you voted against FFA in 2015.....'
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    We're in a United Kingdom, the left won't forgive Ed for abstaining a Tory speech, the Conservatives have portrayed Salmond as a pickpokcet in this campaign. Ed technically wouldn't be breaking any promises...

A thread to light the blue touch paper, but not what is going to happen I suspect.
    Professor Vernon Bogdanor, said the current “political dynamics” were unprecedented and a period of instability was sure to follow after Thursday. “The negotiations may well take longer than in 2010. But the constitutional framework is clear: the Queen’s speech is due to be delivered on 27 May. There must be a government in place by then. But the political dynamics are unprecedented if, as the polls suggest, the two major parties are deadlocked.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/02/weeks-political-paralysis-vote-uk-general-election
    Money is winning easily in the boxing as predicted.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Ed Miliband has said some pretty stupid things if he intends to try to govern from second place in seats and votes (and I expect he does, if he has to). The public won't take kindly to logic-chopping.

Professor Vernon Bogdanor, said the current “political dynamics” were unprecedented and a period of instability was sure to follow after Thursday. “The negotiations may well take longer than in 2010. But the constitutional framework is clear: the Queen’s speech is due to be delivered on 27 May. There must be a government in place by then. But the political dynamics are unprecedented if, as the polls suggest, the two major parties are deadlocked.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/02/weeks-political-paralysis-vote-uk-general-election

There is always a government in place. What Bogdanor must mean is a government capable of avoiding the horror of an immediate second election...
    The Sun likes Ruth Davidson:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/exclusive-ruth-davidson-is-not-your-average-conservative-leader/

The headline is ironic, given Ms Davidson makes the point that a 'lower middle class/working class' back ground would fit 6 out of the last 7 Tory leaders......
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    I don't get this, if you're Labour why not just vote down the Queen's Speech and make Cameron resign? The voters aren't going to begrudge the opposition voting against a government that's lost its majority, and Labour supporters would be exceedingly miffed if they didn't.

At that point you've got the ball, and you have the option of either doing a deal with the SNP (Sorry, let's rephrase that, erm, proposing a program of government and inviting the House of Commons to vote for it) or principledly saying you're not doing it and calling a new election. Which of those to go with is a tricky tactical call, but at least at that point you're in control of the process.
    antifrank said:

Ed Miliband has said some pretty stupid things if he intends to try to govern from second place in seats and votes (and I expect he does, if he has to). The public won't take kindly to logic-chopping.

And the tabloids will be sitting at the border screaming blue murder at every extra penny that heads north.

Suits Sturgeon 100%, Ed not so much......
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

The Sun likes Ruth Davidson:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/exclusive-ruth-davidson-is-not-your-average-conservative-leader/

The headline is ironic, given Ms Davidson makes the point that a 'lower middle class/working class' back ground would fit 6 out of the last 7 Tory leaders......

It won't happen, but it'd be utterly glorious if the Tories end up with more seats than Labour in Scotland.

I don't get this, if you're Labour why not just vote down the Queen's Speech and make Cameron resign? The voters aren't going to begrudge the opposition voting against a government that's lost its majority

Sturgeon's SNP will vote down a Tory queen's speech - whatever it contains - and then probably have to settle for a worse deal for Scotland from Miliband.

I'm not sure Salmond would have painted himself into that corner.

I don't get this, if you're Labour why not just vote down the Queen's Speech and make Cameron resign? The voters aren't going to begrudge the opposition voting against a government that's lost its majority, and Labour supporters would be exceedingly miffed if they didn't.

At that point you've got the ball, and you have the option of either doing a deal with the SNP (Sorry, let's rephrase that, erm, proposing a program of government and inviting the House of Commons to vote for it) or principledly saying you're not doing it and calling a new election. Which of those to go with is a tricky tactical call, but at least at that point you're in control of the process.

What do you think the press are going to be writing about from 8 May to 27 May? I for one suspect that Ed Miliband's remarks about not wanting to become Prime Minister with SNP support might be mentioned.
    Voters tend to believe the leader of the largest party has the better claim to be Prime Minister, not the leader of whichever group of parties can command a majority

Only one in four British people (26%) feel that the leader of the biggest group of MPs – even if it doesn’t include the largest party – has the mandate to move into Number Ten. Nearly twice as many (48%) believe the leader of the party with the most seats has the more credible claim, even if he or she cannot command a majority

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/05/02/leader-most-seats-has-biggest-mandate/
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,869
    I want Miliband to win now, just to see the miliphallus installed in the Rose Garden.

Didn't Archie Norman do thatvtvASDA for Permanently Lower Prices.

Pound Shop Pork Barrel indeed.
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

I read that stuff as directed at setting the parameters of the not-at-all-a-deal-oh-no he intends to cut with the SNP. The idea is to set up the choice as "Will the SNP support Labour's program or will you get the Tories?" rather than "How much is it reasonable for Labour to offer Scotland?". The reason he needs to avoid the latter is that there's no possible answer to it that's going to satisfy Scottish and English voters simultaneously.
    MattW said:

I want Miliband to win now, just to see the miliphallus installed in the Rose Garden.

The Miliband millstone, or milistone.
    antifrank said:

What do you think the press are going to be writing about from 8 May to 27 May? I for one suspect that Ed Miliband's remarks about not wanting to become Prime Minister with SNP support might be mentioned.
    I suspect the Mail would be frothing at the mouth whatever Ed says or does after the GE. He's given them plenty of ammunition as you say though ;)

antifrank said:

I read that stuff as directed at setting the parameters of the not-at-all-a-deal-oh-no he intends to cut with the SNP. The idea is to set up the choice as "Will the SNP support Labour's program or will you get the Tories?" rather than "How much is it reasonable for Labour to offer Scotland?". The reason he needs to avoid the latter is that there's no possible answer to it that's going to satisfy Scottish and English voters simultaneously.
    The public aren't going to deconstruct his words like lawyers. They're going to see him seeking to become Prime Minister with SNP support - exactly what he said he wouldn't do.
    7% of the UK population watched the BBC QT Leaders special.

20% of the YouGov panel (say they) did.

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/kkkacqmodz/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-020515.pdf
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Morning all!

Good article TSE, it will be interesting to watch the next couple of weeks as it all unfolds, surely the most tumultuous time in government since the first 1974 election?

Not sure if getting up in the middle of the night to watch the fight was worth it, all played out pretty much as expected. Rematch in September, for another half a Billion(!) dollars?
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Would Cameron really question the legitimacy of a PM whom the Queen had called to the palace and requested to lead her government ?

Such a move drags Her Majesty into retail politics, my read of the man is that he'd never take such an action.
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

The public aren't going to deconstruct his words like lawyers. They're going to see him seeking to become Prime Minister with SNP support - exactly what he said he wouldn't do.
    Yes, Ed said no "Deals" with the SNP - everyone will see him clearly doing what Joe Average will call a deal to eject Cameron, irrespective of the details behind the scenes.
    It will look very much like the 2010 Labour idea of a "Coalition of the Losers".
    Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Good article TSE, it will be interesting to watch the next couple of weeks as it all unfolds, surely the most tumultuous time in government since the first 1974 election?

Not sure if getting up in the middle of the night to watch the fight was worth it, all played out pretty much as expected. Rematch in September, for another half a Billion(!) dollars?

Why would there be a rematch ?

Manny wasn't good enough. Mayweather makes his opponents look poor because they can't land anything. That's very demoralising.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Up until recently the left were claiming that the Tories did not win in 2010 and this is an illegitimate government given they only received around a 1/3 of the vote. More than 2/3 didn't want them. This was often posted on this site.

One presumes then the same view will prevail from the left should a Labour government, propped up by a nationalist party from Scotland, does the same.

No...... Thought not ......

suddenly and based on the recent threads it will be quite legitimate for a far left leader to do just that. Now just Wait for the " it's not the same situation" arguments.
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

If they think he said that then they also think he's lying, so better to let the press hyperventilate for a fortnight about how Ed Miliband is going to give Nicola Sturgeon Cumbria, vote down a Tory (boo, hiss) government then say. "No deals, new election" and surprise them with his integrity.
    Btw that is the Victoria Hotel not the pub unless it has changed. Just off Beeston Station.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Would Cameron really question the legitimacy of a PM whom the Queen had called to the palace and requested to lead her government ?

Such a move drags Her Majesty into retail politics, my read of the man is that he'd never take such an action.

A vote of no confidence technically does the same thing. That's never questioned.
    The Grauniad's take on what to watch out for on Election Night:

Election night guide: the vital signs to look out for as the counts roll in

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/03/election-night-guide-vital-signs-as-counts-roll-in

David Cameron stays in office until he resigns or until his government is defeated on a vote of confidence. If the Conservatives are the largest party, it appears that he will exercise his right to test whether he has the confidence of the House.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Manny wasn't good enough. Mayweather makes his opponents look poor because they can't land anything. That's very demoralising.
    I can think of 500 million reasons for the rematch!
    Who else would he fight, he says he's only got one fight left in him, so surely he'd take the most lucrative one? Money by name...

Well, I agree with the first half, but the second half is muddled.

The Opposition are known colloquially as "the Government-in-waiting", but that is not mere platitude - it's a reality under our constitution.

If the government resigns at any time, for any reason the Leader of the Opposition is ordinarily called to form a government, however improbable its survival may seem at first glance. It happened exactly that way in 1905, and in 1885, without an election or a vote of confidence. The government simply resigned, and the Leader of the Opposition was simply called and became PM with all the powers of the office, including (then) the right to request a dissolution.

It could be further argued that an Opposition which actively brings about the demise of the Government, by voting against it in a Vote of Confidence (or by winning an election!) should not be surprised to be called to step up to the plate, and assume the burdens of office.

It is accepted (including by the Monarch) that an immediate second election is to be avoided in all but the most exceptional circumstances, if another government may be found from within the present parliament. [George V took pains to emphasize this in both Sept 1924 and in August 1931]

It follows that the parties should behave honourably and sincerely in a finely-balanced situation, and not play games for tactical advantage, or engineer an election merely for the sake of it.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    The other side of Miliband's tombstone - I am afraid there's no money left...
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Who else would he fight, he says he's only got one fight left in him, so surely he'd take the most lucrative one? Money by name...
    Kell Brook.

The Grauniad's take on what to watch out for on Election Night:

Election night guide: the vital signs to look out for as the counts roll in

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/03/election-night-guide-vital-signs-as-counts-roll-in

Labour and the Conservatives both well set for a "bad" night then.
  • GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Telephone polls vs YouGov polls since 01 January 2015. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

YouGov's methology changed at data point number 75 and took 5 days to fully impact upon the moving average.

antifrank said:

And the tabloids will be sitting at the border screaming blue murder at every extra penny that heads north.

Suits Sturgeon 100%, Ed not so much......
    Could another scenario be, depending on the numbers, that Ed calls the Nats' bluff in a big way? By adding no Scottish pork or FFA for Scotland, and daring the SNP to vote it down or at least abstain.

If the SNP have just voted against Dave's Speech, and voting against Ed's would trigger a second election, then Ed could reasonably argue that the Nats are not interested in being co-operative, merely disruptive. This would have the advantage of making Ed look strong in both England and Scotland, whereas anything that looks like a "deal" with the SNP can be brought down at a moment of the Nats' choosing and make Ed look incredibly weak to the English electorate.
    antifrank said:

David Cameron stays in office until he resigns or until his government is defeated on a vote of confidence. If the Conservatives are the largest party, it appears that he will exercise his right to test whether he has the confidence of the House.
    Agreed, no one doubts Cameron is Pm until he loses, but this article is premised on the Tories questioning the legitimacy of a Labour led government *after* it is brought into existence.

That's a very different prospect. Would the tories claim Her Majesty was wrong to call Ed ?
    edited May 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Kell Brook.
    Isn't she one of those model / actress types, would look lovely holding up the round boards in the ring?

Oh, Kell Brook. Yes, he would be the obvious sporting opponent if he wins his upcoming fight, would unify all the belts at that division and be great to see a British boxer fight at that level.

Manny II would be more lucrative though! Let's see what happens.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited May 2015
    If you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer.

Who do you want to rule the country:

The Bullingdon Boys who have enriched fellow Bullindon Boys while soup kitchens proliferated. Ed Miliband whose previous efforts involved bankrupting the banks. The Greens who want to give everyone a salary for being alive and ban the Grand Natinal. UKIP who want to reintroduce the florin and the grote. Or SNP and Plaid who want to bugger off and run some other country?

antifrank said:

Agreed, no one doubts Cameron is Pm until he loses, but this article is premised on the Tories questioning the legitimacy of a Labour led government *after* it is brought into existence.

That's a very different prospect. Would the tories claim Her Majesty was wrong to call Ed ?
    They might moan before the event, but they would zip it completely afterwards, since Her Majesty would be acting entirely in accordance with precedence and principle.
    Roger said:

The Bullingdon Boys who have enriched fellow Bullindon Boys while soup kitchens proliferated. Ed Miliband whose previous efforts involved bankrupting the banks. The Greens who want to give everyone a salary for being alive and ban the Grand Natinal. UKIP who want to reintroduce the florin and the grote. Or SNP and Plaid who want to bugger off and run some other country?

What's wrong with the Green prospectus that you outline?

Poor Lib Dems: too undistinguished even to be insulted.
    antifrank said:

Roger said:

Nothing wrong in principle, but we'd have to grow an entire forest of magic money trees to pay for it ;)
    AF

"Poor Lib Dems: too undistinguished even to be insulted."

It's early but if ever evidence was needed how low they've sunk!
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

Roger said:

Because the "Evil Bankers" would be taxed out of the City. Not just the bankers of course, but all the support around them from the baristas to the, um, barristers....
  • daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    @ TES

An excellent article, with which I agree.

Any attempt by the 2nd largest party (whoever that is) to cobble together a grouping for a VoC would not go down well, as it would offend the British sense of fair play and would be perceived as “illegitimate”, even if technically permissible. If EM has any sense, he should refrain from attempting to take power if Lab has fewer seats than Con; DC is likely to resign if Con have fewer seats. EM could still live to fight another day if Lab are within a few seats of Con, particularly if this is due to a wipe out in Scotland and Lab have gained at least 40 seats from Con in England.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

And many thanks TSE for a very interesting read. As stated here on PB many times over the past year, GE2015 is turning out to be every bit as unpredictable as imagined.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Kell Brook.
    Isn't she one of those model / actress types, would look lovely holding up the round boards in the ring?

Oh, Kell Brook. Yes, he would be the obvious sporting opponent if he wins his upcoming fight, would unify all the belts at that division and be great to see a British boxer fight at that level.

Manny is way past his prime, as is Floyd too for that matter. Brook probably loses but we know this is the case with Pacquiao.
    antifrank said:

Everyone agrees with that much, the question is then whether the voters will be iredeemably narked off if subsequently:
    1) Labour votes against a Tory government. (Answer: No, they expect it.)
    2) When asked by The Queen to form a government, Labour doesn't say, "Sorry, it wouldn't feel right, please call Dave back in." (Answer: No, that would be weird.)
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    New Wales Yougov

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i5pzkkverr/PlaidCymruResults_150430_VI_W.pdf

Wales (Constituency Question)

Lab 37 Con 25 PC 15 UKIP 12 LD 7 GRN 2

Wales (Headline)

Lab 39 Con 26 PC 13 UKIP 12 LD 6 GRN 3

That looks flat, at best, for Labour based on constituency question
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

antifrank said:

It doesn't matter what was actually said or intended, it matters how it gets portrayed by your opponents and the press. A case in point being cast iron Dave. Nobody ever used the full quote, just the damaging abridged version which is now all that people remember.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    TSE makes a compelling case for the end of FPTP. But the Tories campaigned for it. Onviously, they'll serk to retain power, but if the British electorate deliver a House if Commons the Tories cannot command, but Labour can, the Tories only have themselves to blame.

That said, I think TSE is right: Labour would be better off letting the Tories struggle on. I hope that's what happens, but I imagine Ed won't see it like that.

• DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Just got one warning. Be careful of lower tory polls at a bank holiday weekend.

Thats all

It's a very good point. Half of my Tory leaflet deliverers are away for May day bank holiday. So, polls maybe down 2% for the blues. It also may explain Labour's view that Tories are heavily postal voting; because they may not be back by next Thursday.

I still think that Labour will lose 2% because of individual voter registration - people just don't know they are not able to vote - and 2% just can't vote for Miliband. One bloke I canvassed yesterday called him a clown...A labour voter. So, I think Labour will get about 30% of the vote. As we know, it all depends on the English marginals; nothing else matters. Wales/Scotland/N. Ire are set is aspic, only minor changes. Labour and Tories have about 175 very safe seats in England. It will be the marginals what won it. There's little momentum for Ed. But, I've been wrong before!
    Actually a Consevative government just a few votes ahead of Labour with confidence and supply from the left might be a reasonable outcome.

Labour and allies could vote out all thie excesses such as anything proposed by IDS.

They could ensure the parasitic Lib Dems returned to working for a living

They could prize Clegg's bum off the heated rear seat of his deputy prime ministerial Jag.

And they could ensure that government was taken out of the hands of big business.

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all!

Kell Brook.

Manny is way past his prime, as is Floyd too for that matter. Brook probably loses but we know this is the case with Pacquiao.
    Agreed on Pac-Man being past his best now. We will see who's right in a couple of months' time - it could be that Brook could do a Buster Douglas on Floyd, he is ten years younger than the American after all.
    Are we still doing the bank holiday polling meme ?

Do you think these things aren't weighted by previous voting history ?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    An SNP Tory coalition looks like the natural partnership. They have so much in common. Above all they are unified by a hatred of labour and the fact when one of them does well, the other prospers.

They could have a whale of a time for five years peddling their various flavours of nationalism, whilst mucking around with their preferred referenda.

The SNP and the Tories, a marriage made in heaven.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

TSE makes a compelling case for the end of FPTP. But the Tories campaigned for it.

No. They campaigned against AV, the worst electoral system ever conceived by man.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Cameron of course is perfectly within his rights to test his right to govern with the Queens speech. Entirely legitimate. However if Labour + SNP has a majority then he will lose and he will know he will lose. And so will his party. No amount of media spin would defeat maths if the vote will go against him.

On paper Sturgeon is a poor negotiator. Having determined she will always vote against the Tories there is no need for a deal with Labour and one will not be offered. If the SNP really wipe us out in Scotland it would be a move of Cleggian stupidity by Milliband to offer her anything as a reward. Which is whynje is so unambiguous about deals - there is no need for one. The SNP either back Labour or bring in the Tories.

Which is where Cameron has his final card to play. Offer Sturgeon a deal she cannot refuse. If the SNP have won the majority of seats, declare that Scotland has spoken, we must listen, so if she works with him he will support independence in this parliament. Sturgeon would quickly get over her anti-Tory position when offered the big prize.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I note with interest that Prof John Curtice's forecast is trending toward my ARSE ....

Come one come all ....

Cameron of course is perfectly within his rights to test his right to govern with the Queens speech. Entirely legitimate. However if Labour + SNP has a majority then he will lose and he will know he will lose. And so will his party. No amount of media spin would defeat maths if the vote will go against him.

On paper Sturgeon is a poor negotiator. Having determined she will always vote against the Tories there is no need for a deal with Labour and one will not be offered. If the SNP really wipe us out in Scotland it would be a move of Cleggian stupidity by Milliband to offer her anything as a reward. Which is whynje is so unambiguous about deals - there is no need for one. The SNP either back Labour or bring in the Tories.

Which is where Cameron has his final card to play. Offer Sturgeon a deal she cannot refuse. If the SNP have won the majority of seats, declare that Scotland has spoken, we must listen, so if she works with him he will support independence in this parliament. Sturgeon would quickly get over her anti-Tory position when offered the big prize.

Short of independence being offered without a referendum Sturgeon won't take it. And that won't be offered.

Farcical proposition which shows a total ignorance of political reality in Scotland

Independence requires a referendum, there's no support for one and it'd be lost.

Supporting a tory administration regardless of what was offered is suicide for Holyrood 2016.
    JackW said:

I note with interest that Prof John Curtice's forecast is trending toward my ARSE ....

Come one come all ....

Where is Curtice's forecast ?
  • ukelectukelect Posts: 140
    Scott_P said:

TSE makes a compelling case for the end of FPTP. But the Tories campaigned for it.

No. They campaigned against AV, the worst electoral system ever conceived by man.
    The vote against AV (a mild improvement on the current system that would have helped the Greens, UKIP etc.) killed off any prospect of PR. Had it been passed then there might well have been a move towards PR in time.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Another Tory ploy would be to put 'The Vow' and then some, in the queens speech, then have the SNP vote against it.......That could be hung round their necks for decades like the 1979 vote....'But you voted against FFA in 2015.....'

The SNP will simply poi t at the Conservative native back benches and say "we do not have confidence that the Tory whips could actually get such legislation passed" and vote against the speech.
    The only thing that should be in a Queen's speech just so the Nats can vote it down is FFA
    edited May 2015
    If you take 2% off Labour for registration and 2% off for them not being able to afford to go on holiday and another 2% because internet polls favour Labour and 2% because a Labour voter in a pub thought Ed was a clown.......

.....then yours is the earth and everything that’s in it,
    and—which is more—you’ll be a Tory my son!
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2015
    It's just a matter of numbers isn't it? If Con + LD + UKIP + DUP >= 323 then Cameron is home and dry as those parties will not seek to amend the Queen's speech. Short of that tally would imply that Cameron was willing to run a government in a fundamentally hostile parliament.

Equally, if Labour oppose the Queen's speech it implies they are willing to take government from second place, deep in minority territory,as they will not "deal" with SNP.

As both propositions are patently risible I cannot believe that the forbidden words "grand" and "coalition" will not be heard together.
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Come one come all ....

Where is Curtice's forecast ?
    Here :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065710/Labour-lead-voters-prefer-Dave-Ed-Result-knife-edge-polls-conflicting-messages.html

The other thing to remember, of course, is that Dave is not universally loved by his Parliamentary party. Not everyone will inevitably sing from the same hymn sheet, as they will - rightly - believe that Dave will step down as leader should Ed become PM. And should Dave go, what happens then? Will everyone acquiesce to a Boris coronation? I doubt it.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,730
    I keep coming back to last night's Atul Hatwal piece in Labour Uncut. "Revealed: Ed's night-time dash to casa Brand driven by postal vote panic"

It shouldn't be right. The disturbing premise behind the information contained in the article is that there have been multiple breaches of election law, as people not only see the votes as they are opened - which they shouldn't - but are then feeding them to a central Labour Party source - which they shouldn't.

And yet....why write the piece at all if it is just bollocks? It MIGHT be that Atul Hatwal was, like many, utterly bemused by Ed's filmed meeting with Brand. It MIGHT be that he was trying to rationalise this as actually being part of a planned campaign, rather than a bit of impromptu what-the-fuck?ery. It MIGHT be that he had heard gossip of isolated cases of sneaky-peeks at postal votes, far short of any reliable wider picture. It might be that at Labour Uncut, 2+2=7. It MIGHT be that any attempt to poison Ed is an attempt to look like he had the story of Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister first - knowing all will be forgotten if Ed strolls into Downing Street.

But it also just MIGHT be close to the truth. In which case, things are going badly adrift for Labour from the narrative the polls have been providing through this campaign. And some here might be turning up at the burns unit on Friday morning....
    ukelect said:

The vote against AV (a mild improvement on the current system that would have helped the Greens, UKIP etc.) killed off any prospect of PR. Had it been passed then there might well have been a move towards PR in time.

AV is not a mild improvement on anything, except perhaps syphilis

I don't think killing that off has harmed the prospects for a more sensible PR system in the long run
    Ed is PM...

@rorybremner: This Second Past the Post electoral system is looking very interesting.

I keep coming back to last night's Atul Hatwal piece in Labour Uncut. "Revealed: Ed's night-time dash to casa Brand driven by postal vote panic"

It shouldn't be right. The disturbing premise behind the information contained in the article is that there have been multiple breaches of election law, as people not only see the votes as they are opened - which they shouldn't - but are then feeding them to a central Labour Party source - which they shouldn't.

And yet....why write the piece at all if it is just bollocks? It MIGHT be that Atul Hatwal was, like many, utterly bemused by Ed's filmed meeting with Brand. It MIGHT be that he was trying to rationalise this as actually being part of a planned campaign, rather than a bit of impromptu what-the-fuck?ery. It MIGHT be that he had heard gossip of isolated cases of sneaky-peeks at postal votes, far short of any reliable wider picture. It might be that at Labour Uncut, 2+2=7. It MIGHT be that any attempt to poison Ed is an attempt to look like he had the story of Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister first - knowing all will be forgotten if Ed strolls into Downing Street.

But it also just MIGHT be close to the truth. In which case, things are going badly adrift for Labour from the narrative the polls have been providing through this campaign. And some here might be turning up at the burns unit on Friday morning....

Or it might be that Atul Hatwal - the man who makes Dan Hodges look like the chairman of the Ed Miliband fan club - is just making stuff up.

Dan Hodges really could write that Why becoming PM is bad for Ed Miliband article, couldn't he?
    Roger said:

If you take 2% off Labour for registration and 2% off for them not being able to afford to go on holiday and another 2% because internet polls favour Labour and 2% because a Labour voter in a pub thought Ed was a clown.......

.....then yours is the earth and everything that’s in it,
    and—which is more—you’ll be a Tory my son!

And a further 5% off Labour for your predictadamus of a spanking for my ARSE.

daodao said:

@ TES

Any attempt by the 2nd largest party (whoever that is) to cobble together a grouping for a VoC would not go down well, as it would offend the British sense of fair play and would be perceived as “illegitimate”, even if technically permissible. If EM has any sense, he should refrain from attempting to take power if Lab has fewer seats than Con; DC is likely to resign if Con have fewer seats. EM could still live to fight another day if Lab are within a few seats of Con, particularly if this is due to a wipe out in Scotland and Lab have gained at least 40 seats from Con in England.

Those in the Westminster world, and political geeks, over-analyse things sometimes. If EM turns down the chance of power, despite having the support of the House of Commons, then he would show himself to be weak and unfit for office, and the public would regard him as such. In the case of some, it would confirm their existing beliefs and prejudices. Others, who might have given him the benefit of the doubt, would cease to do so, and his time as Labour leader would likely be very limited.

The Tories would never sacrifice a realistic chance of power,even if they were well behind in seats or the popular vote.
    ukelect said:

despite having the support of the House of Commons

He won't have the support of the House of Commons, unless he "does a deal" with the Nationalists.

Which he would do, having said he wouldn't.

... then he would show himself to be weak and unfit for office, and the public would regard him as such. In the case of some, it would confirm their existing beliefs and prejudices.

Labour sub 250 is they're going to lose they should do it properly :)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Jonathan said:

An SNP Tory coalition looks like the natural partnership. They have so much in common. Above all they are unified by a hatred of labour and the fact when one of them does well, the other prospers.

They could have a whale of a time for five years peddling their various flavours of nationalism, whilst mucking around with their preferred referenda.

You okay hun?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Just fir information: the narrative written above for the thread has been written by a Tory !
    Scott_P said:

ukelect said:

He won't have the support of the House of Commons, unless he "does a deal" with the Nationalists.

... then he would show himself to be weak and unfit for office, and the public would regard him as such. In the case of some, it would confirm their existing beliefs and prejudices.
    He just has to put himself forward as Prime Minister and dare the SNP to oppose him.

Jonathan said:

You okay hun?
    I do agree that the only 2 parties with enough seats and conviction and management skills are Tory/SNP.

Cameron has never said he won't go into coalition with SNP...he just warns we don't want a Lab/SNP coalition.
    ukelect said:

daodao said:

@ TES

Those in the Westminster world, and political geeks, over-analyse things sometimes. If EM turns down the chance of power, despite having the support of the House of Commons, then he would show himself to be weak and unfit for office, and the public would regard him as such. In the case of some, it would confirm their existing beliefs and prejudices. Others, who might have given him the benefit of the doubt, would cease to do so, and his time as Labour leader would likely be very limited.

The Tories would never sacrifice a realistic chance of power,even if they were well behind in seats or the popular vote.
    If Phillippe Magnan is still out there there's an alpha male PUA power politics angle to this that would be worth exploring. I think ukelect is right that he'd look like a bit of a mincer abstaining. How does he look becoming PM without a deal? Should he move into Number 10 and start looking Prime Ministerish at this point o does that make him look a chump because he may not have the votes to stay there?
    Dixie said:

Jonathan said:

You okay hun?
    I do agree that the only 2 parties with enough seats and conviction and management skills are Tory/SNP.

Cameron has never said he won't go into coalition with SNP...he just warns we don't want a Lab/SNP coalition.
    After all he and the Tory party have said, he'd never go into coalition with them. (I suspect the feeling is mutual).
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

Just fir information: the narrative written above for the thread has been written by a Tory !

Does that in anyway invalidate what he has written?
    Jack

"I note with interest that Prof John Curtice's forecast is trending toward my ARSE ..."

In a close election giving Labour 20 more seats than your ARSE and the Tories 15 less doesn't at first sight look like he's cosying up........What's more I thought the Lib Dems wouldn't join a coalition with UKIP?

'Professor John Curtice expects the Conservatives to win 291 seats, with Labour on just 265 seats. If correct, it means David Cameron could link up with the Liberal Democrats, the Unionists and Ukip to squeak past the 322 seats necessary to pass a Queen’s Speech.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065710/Labour-lead-voters-prefer-Dave-Ed-Result-knife-edge-polls-conflicting-messages.html#ixzz3Z3XY2ech
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook'
    MattW said:

You know he only wants it because Eck has got one...

Or it might be that Atul Hatwal - the man who makes Dan Hodges look like the chairman of the Ed Miliband fan club - is just making stuff up.

Just to be absolutely clear, counters at postal votes, as long as they can look through thin paper, can find out which party a voter has voted for. And some people count them then illegally spread the world. I have first hand knowledge of this. The reds just can't keep their mouths shut. (I am sworn to secrecy)

This is why postal votes should not be counted until the day of the election. The bookies would prefer it too.
    Scott_P said:

ukelect said:

Scott_P said:

ukelect said:

When did you become a constitutional expert ?

The scenario will be as follows:

If Cameron holds the highest number of MPs, he continues as normal;

He then brings his QS. He is voted down.

The Queen will call for Ed simply because he is the leader of the party with next highest number of MPs.

He does not have to take with him a spreadsheet.

In fact, the exact term used will be: "the Queen has invited Mr Miliband to form a government".

Miliband then, in due course, presents his QS. Let's see if it passes or not ?

Jonathan said:

You okay hun?
    Calm down, dear !

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

ukelect said:

Scott_P said:

ukelect said:

When did you become a constitutional expert ?

The scenario will be as follows:

If Cameron holds the highest number of MPs, he continues as normal;

He then brings his QS. He is voted down.

The Queen will call for Ed simply because he is the leader of the party with next highest number of MPs.

He does not have to take with him a spreadsheet.

In fact, the exact term used will be: "the Queen has invited Mr Miliband to form a government".

Miliband then, in due course, presents his QS. Let's see if it passes or not ?
    Actually, doesn't Cameron advise HM on who she should call?
  • ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Wow. BBC R3 main 8am news: Husband (name escapes me) of former-No2 at Facebook (name escapes me) has died. Well, I never. That's shut you all up, hasn't it?
  • roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Just to set the record straight, any opening of postal votes would be confined to the outer envelope. The inner envelope containing voting intention is opened at the count. It is all nonsense!

Did you know who Atul Hatwal was day before yesterday ?
    chestnut said:

New Wales Yougov

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/i5pzkkverr/PlaidCymruResults_150430_VI_W.pdf

Wales (Constituency Question)

Lab 37 Con 25 PC 15 UKIP 12 LD 7 GRN 2

Wales (Headline)

Lab 39 Con 26 PC 13 UKIP 12 LD 6 GRN 3

That looks flat, at best, for Labour based on constituency question

I predict that PC will do better than YG predcit day before election. Wood is the new Sturgeon. But, who will it affect? Labour seats in cities?
  • BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    The Birmingham Hodge Hill segregation story appears to me to be massive.

http://order-order.com/2015/05/02/everydaysexualsegregation/#_@/P5zxk4w2JjE0tw

I can't see how we can have hours of coverage about Labour's pink bus and nothing about Labour's sexual segregation in the name of religion. Surely the BBC has to cover it?

Farage has commented. What does Cameron think? What does Miliband think? I want to know.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Maybe its because I'm a Unionist...

But I just don't see it that way. This is the United Kingdom. SNP MPs have as much legitimacy as any other MPs and have the right to form a majority in the UK Parliament with other parties. The rules of the game are simple: do you have a majority in the House of Commons?

Ed Miliband is an idiot and has said some idiotic things but that does not change the rules. A "minority" Labour government which has a majority with the support of the SNP has the right to govern and will govern if the numbers support it. Cameron has the right to ask the House the question but once he gets a negative answer he has to leave.

Of course I am deeply disappointed that Scotland is going to elect so many SNP MPs. But an underlying mindset which suggests that they do not have as much right to determine the government as MPs from any other part of this United Kingdom is not a mindset that this Unionist can support.
This discussion has been closed.