Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747

Lennon said:

AndyJS said:

Labour's numbers in Scotland are so appalling it's difficult to parse the magnitude of what they represent.

Labour doing better than we instinctively think in E&W for the GB national numbers to be where they are?
    hmm depends where the votes are stacking up.
    Indeed. Losing seats with 40% majorities in Glasgow in exchange for increasing majorities in London seats from 10% to 30% doesn't really help...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067

Any hope of a unionist 'buffer' along the border?

Mundell to hold on, Moore to hold on in Berwickshire (or Lamont to take it, as Alex Massie seems to predict: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/this-is-a-narrow-cast-election-not-a-national-contest/), and Russell Brown in Dumfries.

Yes, it's a possibility.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    taffys said:

If there is a Lab to PC swing, it might, just might, tip Gower to the Tories, as the Welsh speaking areas are predominantly Labour areas in that seat.

And could maybe make a difference in the ultra marginal the tories are defending in Cardiff? And help the tories in Brecon and Radnor?

The few Welsh polls have shown Plaid support virtually static at last GE's 11% and a small swing from Plaid to Labour .
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    Timms was bloody awful on DP. Doesn't know any Labour figures, flaps around desperately when figures are given to him, and all he wants to do is talk about the nasty tories, tories, tories.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,230
    Plato said:

What's the biggest safe seat overturn?

Anorak said:

RobC said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Mildly amusing that just as UNS is being discarded at Uk level that it is assumed it will come to pass in Scotland.

Also - if this % were to be repeated at Holyrood in 2016, what would the likely line up of MSPs be ?

Swing in Sotland isn't Universal, Ashcroft polls suggest SNP do better than Universal Swing.
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Mildly amusing that just as UNS is being discarded at Uk level that it is assumed it will come to pass in Scotland.

Also - if this % were to be repeated at Holyrood in 2016, what would the likely line up of MSPs be ?

Swing in Sotland isn't Universal, Ashcroft polls suggest SNP do better than Universal Swing.
    They do better than UNS in every constituency ? Only "Natlogic" could come up with that..
    No, they'll do worse than UNS in Edinburgh. But lower swings are needed there. They'll outperform in Glasgow and the west where the 50+% majorities need to be toppled. They also do worse in LD/Con seats - hence Berwickshire and DCT having lower swings.
    How will they do in the five straight SNP/Con seats? That's an interesting dynamic
    The SNP seats are easy holds. Perth North Perthshire is not a 1-1000 shot though.
    Oh yes, I wasn't suggesting they would not take them! More I think the swing may be rather small in Perth, Angus, Moray, Banff etc - their opposition is holding on as opposed to collapsing there.
    I'd expect Dundee East and Western Isles to have comfortably the largest majorities in Scotland.
    We could have a PB competition, predict SLAB's best performance with a tie breaker on who comes closest to the actual majority %.

I'd have the top contenders down as;

Glasgow NE
    E. Renfrewshire
    Ed S
    Aberdeen S

Any I'm missing?
    Dumfries Galloway
    Dumferline West Fife
    Rutherglen, Hamilton ?
    Which seat is Dougie Alexander and his 17000 majority? Apparently he's standing against a 20 yr old student. Must have a chance surely?
    A chance maybe, but a slim one. Mhairi Black is sweeping all before her (and good for her!).
    Neil Hamilton had a 22,000 majority overturned in 1997
    http://www.totalpolitics.com/print/3783/top-tenshock-election-results.thtml
  • Options
    I'm a bit puzzled by the Nits' gloating over there being more pandas than MPs of whatever party in Scotland.

There are more pandas than SNP MPs in England. So presumably the Nits can likewise all f>ck off.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    taffys said:

Who'd be left to lead SLAB?

I don't know anything about Scottish politics, but it seems to me the unionists will have to at least try to unite on some level.

Disestablish the 3 Westminster parties and start again as the Scottish Unionists under Ruth, the only decent non-SNPer left or..........
    #draftAnnabel!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,025
    YouGov ‏@YouGov 57s57 seconds ago
    Our latest Nowcast (including 41k new interviews): Con 272 (+2), Lab 276 (-1), LD 24 (-3), UKIP 3 (-), SNP 52 (+2) http://y-g.co/1ajctZx

EICIPM
  • Options

I'm a bit puzzled by the Nits' gloating over there being more pandas than MPs of whatever party in Scotland.

There are more pandas than SNP MPs in England. So presumably the Nits can likewise all f>ck off.

Wow, and you call out UKIP for racism & xenophobia.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Pulpstar said:

Mundell to hold on, Moore to hold on in Berwickshire (or Lamont to take it, as Alex Massie seems to predict: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/this-is-a-narrow-cast-election-not-a-national-contest/), and Russell Brown in Dumfries.

Yes, it's a possibility.
    The LDs or Tories should have put up candidates in the border areas called Hadrian..
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,132
    Alistair said:

Ghedebrav said:

This proposed whitewash is almost impossible. Orkney & Shetland is about as safe a seat as the LDs have, and I suspect they'll hold on to a couple more at least.

By "they'll hold onto a couple more" do you mean LDs or non-SNP?
    Ha! LDs. Not 'LibLabCon'. In terms of a couple more, I was thinking Thurso plus one of Kennedy, Swinson or Alexander.
  • Options

taffys said:

If there is a Lab to PC swing, it might, just might, tip Gower to the Tories, as the Welsh speaking areas are predominantly Labour areas in that seat.

And could maybe make a difference in the ultra marginal the tories are defending in Cardiff? And help the tories in Brecon and Radnor?

The few Welsh polls have shown Plaid support virtually static at last GE's 11% and a small swing from Plaid to Labour .
    Come on Mark..whats your view can the LDs still get to 35 seats as all the activists have been programmed to say?
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Bondie

"There are more pandas than SNP MPs in England"

In England it's a no score draw.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,333
    Creidekki said:

Surely this SNP hegemony can't be good; even for them. Living almost as far from Scotland as geographically possible in this country makes me also far removed from the vibe on the ground. @the scottish PBers. Is there an Obamaesque "yes we can" style wave rushing over the highlands and lowlands where the voice for change is crowding out all others? Or is this groupthink somehow more unspoken and almost unrecognised? Does the SNP think that a clean sweep is good for politics in Scotland? Everything has consequences...

It's a UK parliament anyway so in that sense the Scottish distinction is irrelevant. And Holyrood is under a gerrymandered D'Hondt system where such a result is almost impossible (for completely the opposite reasons than FPTP, but like FPTP at Westminster favoured by Labour originally for precisely that reason).

I'd say it is a vote for change - from a variety of people. They will vote differently at Holyrood (which gives full credit to minority parties such as Tories and LDs), while at Westminster the Scottish MPs are only a small minority (which seems to be forgotten in some of the media coverage).
  • Options
    edited April 2015

taffys said:

Plaid are not dynamic like the SNP and have hampered Lab conversion by not ruling out propping up a Tory minority

Edit - their best shot would have been rainbow coalition in 2007 which they eschewed
  • Options
    EICIPMEICIPM Posts: 55

YouGov ‏@YouGov 57s57 seconds ago
    Our latest Nowcast (including 41k new interviews): Con 272 (+2), Lab 276 (-1), LD 24 (-3), UKIP 3 (-), SNP 52 (+2) http://y-g.co/1ajctZx

EICIPM

#boomshakalakalaka
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, it's a possibility.
    I would be +48 In the event of a Blue buffer
    I would be +7 in the case of all Yellow

I may need to even that out a bit.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Alistair said:

Ghedebrav said:

This proposed whitewash is almost impossible. Orkney & Shetland is about as safe a seat as the LDs have, and I suspect they'll hold on to a couple more at least.

Ha! LDs. Not 'LibLabCon'. In terms of a couple more, I was thinking Thurso plus one of Kennedy, Swinson or Alexander.
    Swinson is the only one who remotely has a chance of those three.
  • Options
    Was listening to a radio report earlier regarding the unemployment figures and an analysis of the remarkable fall in the figures in recent years. The striking figure was the rise in the self employed and I wonder is whether this is as a result of the effects of Tax Credits. Being self employed enables workers to reach the required number of hours needed to qualify for Tax Credits... it could be that there are a significant number of families for whom the largest source of income is Tax Credits and as a result the unemployment figures are being distorted.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    edited April 2015
    Major cock-up in Hull East: Two candidates missing from postal voting forms including Labour's @KarlTurnerMP #GE2015

apparently this is from the second batch of postal votes sent out today - names did appear on first batch
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,333
    JPJ2 said:

Bondie

This makes me realise that anyone with a panda bet might want to check whether the species of panda is specified. IIRC there are of course two Giant Pandas in Edinburgh, but the RZSS also operates the Highland Wildlife Park with, the last time I checked, three Red Pandas.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    marke09 said:

Major cock-up in Hull East: Two candidates missing from postal voting forms including Labour's @KarlTurnerMP #GE2015

That is beyond shocking if true.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Dear Lord.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,062
    Mr. 09, will they have to re-run that constituency after the 7th?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,395
    Sandpit said:

But wasn't that slightly unusual as Labour and the Lib Dems both stood down (I think!) to allow Bell in? It'd have to be in a normally-fought election.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SeanT

' as no Scots will ever see a need to vote Labour again, knowing that they get a Labour government anyway if they vote SNP, only its a Labour govt in hock to Scotland.'

Won't take long for voters in Wales to realize that voting Plaid will will give them the same situation.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

What about the scenario where Labour join the SNP in voting down a Tory queen speech, but then decline to form a government themselves. That would lead to a second election, right? One in which the SNP's "vote us, you'll still get Labour" argument would be diminished, and the Tories' "vote Labour, you'll get SNP" will be dead.

Problem with that is Labour would be perceived as

i) gutless
    ii) wreckers, trying to force a re-run of an election they had just lost

I would go so far as to say the the Constitution expects the Leader of the Opposition to step up to the plate in such a scenario, or not bother bringing down the government...
    Yeah, if Labour were significantly behind this would likely be the case. If it was closer, I'm not so sure. I think in England Labour would get credit for not doing a deal with the SNP if that was clearly an option.
    Ludicrous. It would sanction parties bringing each other down, with repeated returns to the polls until someone secured a majority. UK Plc would meantime go down the U-bend...
  • Options
    Alistair said:

marke09 said:

That is beyond shocking if true.
    Unless they can get new forms out that seat will have to be run at a later date..
  • Options

Mr. 09, will they have to re-run that constituency after the 7th?

Yes. I'd suggest bookies lurking look carefully at their books on the seat too.

No bet tbh.
  • Options
    Dyedwoolies random tip of the day.
    Norman Lamb to struggle in Norfolk North, saved by Kippers taking votes off the Blues, seat gone in 2020
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Alistair said:

Ghedebrav said:

The labour vote is going to drop off a cliff in East Dunbartonshire, IMO
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015
    marke09 said:

apparently this is from the second batch of postal votes sent out today - names did appear on first batch

Doesn't matter. Safe Tory area, Hull :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I think this law against tax rises might be the dumbest pledge of the campaign so far. Hopefully some respected former chancellors come out against it, I expect Ken Clarke thinks the idea is barking mad.

Has Cameron been hanging around with Grover Norquist or something? This is the kind of idiot litmus test GOP candidates have to pledge.
  • Options

Does anyone have estimated Yes vote by constituency in a table?

If no-one else has responded yet (haven't got time to read the whole thread), I've got an estimated vote spreadsheet (some constituencies less reliable than others, because (aside from the Edinburgh seats and those coterminous with the Local Authority), I had to average approximately between areas over which some constituencies broke, and others (where multiple constituencies were within a single area) aren't atomised down below the Local Authority). I had a play with the BES numbers on how YES and NO voters were planning to vote and got a modelled output (although with some crudity) was gratifyingly close to most Ashcroft polls in those constituencies that have been polled. I can send it across tonight when I get home, if you like.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

So if true we will have a 59 seat start for EICIPM from Scotland and the Tory led Coalition support from Scotland down from 12 to zero.

The left of centre Ed led coalition up to 59 seats from 47

And there are about 2 million pencil waverers in England and Wales who will be the deciding factor in this - whether they are prepared for that or not. This election has become de facto an extension of indyref into the whole UK
    An election is not a referendum. But the warped devolution settlement foisted on us by Labour is certainly coming home to roost. EVEL will become a necessity and really should colour the voting in England - as should the fear of far left hegemony from a Scottish party that need not fear the electoral consequences.
    What is fascinating (if thats the right word) is that the SNP are rising as the logic for Scottish independence declines. The promise of a free lunch north of the border is obviously very alluring.
    You really are stupid , EVEL will sign the fate of the union.
    You really are stupid if you think we care.

It was the Scots who voted to stay in, we never voted to keep you. The Scots should put up or shut up. The Scots deserve full equality - that means no voting on English-only matters, just as the English can't vote on Scottish-only matters. The Barnett formula should be scrapped too and an equal amount spent on Scots as is spent on the English.

If you want that, fine. If you don't, fine. But there's no reason for us to bend over backwards to keep you in if you want out.
    You dunderheid, there is no English parliament , so you think ostracising all UK Non English elected MP's is democracy. You are a bigger cretin than I gave you credit for. You obviously have no clue as to how money is spent in the UK either , just an all round nasty bitter twisted Little Englander. If only we got equality and our own money to spend rather than subsidising you.
    There is an English Parliament, with a few nationalists hangers-on.

Isn't that what you thought too? Oh well. Play along or not, Westminster should belong to us and you can go jump.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Won't take long for voters in Wales to realize that voting Plaid will will give them the same situation.

Labour rule has been a catastrophe in Wales, particularly health and educashun. There is little love for the party there any more. A bit like Scotland, and maybe even the North of England, they are there for the taking.
  • Options
    Slab in biotic crisis?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm no SNP supporter but I think having a no-bull-shit MP like 20 year-old Mhairi Black in the Commons giving as good as she gets to the likes of the inbred fools currently in residence there can can only be a good thing for democracy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Alistair said:

Ghedebrav said:

I'm "Greened up" in that seat but would prefer the SNP to gain for a couple of hundred...

£200 @ 1-2 Labour was an appalling bet, mind.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    sorry link to my previous post didn't appear

https://twitter.com/angus_young61/status/593375520487829504
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    trublue said:

SNP won't win every seat by a long shot. Unionists face unprecedented intimidation in Scotland, and thus are terrified of revealing their opposition to the SNP. I fully expect Scotland polling to prove to be remarkably wrong and to be the highlight of the election when the SNP underachieves by a very significant margin.

There are extremists on both sides of the debate, suffice to say the MSM overplays the nationalists and pretty much turns a blind eye to the Unionist extremist, this isn't surprising as the MSM is pretty much across the board Unionist. Therefore, it is difficult for those outside of Scotland to get a clear picture of what's going on. You may recollect the scenes of extreme violence from George Square, I'll leave it to you judge who perpetrated these acts.

In terms of seats, the SNP are now looking pretty good for a complete yellowash, anyway this is a betting site not a forum for recycling MSM drivel and wishful thinking.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    john_zims said:

@SeanT

' as no Scots will ever see a need to vote Labour again, knowing that they get a Labour government anyway if they vote SNP, only its a Labour govt in hock to Scotland.'

And once Labour can only get into power with Plaid Cymru and SNP backing, it won't take long for voters in England to realise that voting Labour gets them screwed on how public funds are divided up.

Sean is right: it will be Labour signing their own death warrant if they enter with the SNP. I hadn't realised until now what the long term ramifications would be.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Whoops, at least one more person to add to the unemployment statistics in Hull.
    That's a void election surely, unless they can somehow contact everyone who might have an incomplete ballot paper individually?
  • Options

I think this law against tax rises might be the dumbest pledge of the campaign so far. Hopefully some respected former chancellors come out against it, I expect Ken Clarke thinks the idea is barking mad.

Has Cameron been hanging around with Grover Norquist or something? This is the kind of idiot litmus test GOP candidates have to pledge.

It's economically insane, but electorally well timed
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    marke09 said:

They'll have to re-run that seat won't they?
  • Options
    Mary Poppins comes out for the Tories in 2015? Now that is amusing.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I've just seen the clip of Ms Sturgeon saying that "EdM can say what he likes now but will wake up and smell the coffee on May 8th." That Newsnight Scotland intv is a gift for Tories.

I don't know when it was recorded - but it's all over Twitter. The vintage seems immaterial.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Will give the continuity SDP candidate plenty of time to return to the constituency and prepare for government
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

What about the scenario where Labour join the SNP in voting down a Tory queen speech, but then decline to form a government themselves. That would lead to a second election, right? One in which the SNP's "vote us, you'll still get Labour" argument would be diminished, and the Tories' "vote Labour, you'll get SNP" will be dead.

i) gutless

I would go so far as to say the the Constitution expects the Leader of the Opposition to step up to the plate in such a scenario, or not bother bringing down the government...
    Yeah, if Labour were significantly behind this would likely be the case. If it was closer, I'm not so sure. I think in England Labour would get credit for not doing a deal with the SNP if that was clearly an option.
    Ludicrous. It would sanction parties bringing each other down, with repeated returns to the polls until someone secured a majority. UK Plc would meantime go down the U-bend...
    I really don't think there's any great public feeling that Labour has a duty not to vote against the Conservatives. If a party doesn't want to be voted down, they need to have a majority who either support them or who they've reached an agreement with not to vote against them. That's the way everyone expects it to be.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

An absolute guess, but as Turner comes after Nolan, have they just been cut in the wrong place? If so, printer error?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

SDP? Is David Owen making one more comeback?!
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,747
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Alistair said:

Ghedebrav said:

Any betting worth doing on Labour lost deposits in Scotland?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

I've just seen the clip of Ms Sturgeon saying that "EdM can say what he likes now but will wake up and smell the coffee on May 8th." That Newsnight Scotland intv is a gift for Tories.

I don't know when it was recorded - but it's all over Twitter. The vintage seems immaterial.

She's right as well. EdM will end up kissing the tartan hem of her skirt to get himself into No.10. The ramifications for Labour in England are simply delicious.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Isn;t Hull east the seat where we saw a leaked copy of returns showing UKIP with a strong following?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

But wasn't that slightly unusual as Labour and the Lib Dems both stood down (I think!) to allow Bell in? It'd have to be in a normally-fought election.
    Yes, Lab and Lib both stood aside for Martin Bell, the man in the white suit.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Could be a Photoshop fake.

Though National Front and SDP. What kind of weird timewarp is Hull in?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    marke09 said:

Erm, isn't it just folded over?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

marke09 said:

Labour will win anyway, so unlikely to lodge an election petition, maybe everyone will try to pretend it didn't happen..?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,738
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

Anorak said:

RobC said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

They do better than UNS in every constituency ? Only "Natlogic" could come up with that..
    How will they do in the five straight SNP/Con seats? That's an interesting dynamic
    The SNP seats are easy holds. Perth North Perthshire is not a 1-1000 shot though.
    Oh yes, I wasn't suggesting they would not take them! More I think the swing may be rather small in Perth, Angus, Moray, Banff etc - their opposition is holding on as opposed to collapsing there.
    I'd expect Dundee East and Western Isles to have comfortably the largest majorities in Scotland.
    We could have a PB competition, predict SLAB's best performance with a tie breaker on who comes closest to the actual majority %.

Glasgow NE
    E. Renfrewshire
    Ed S
    Aberdeen S

Any I'm missing?
    Dumfries Galloway
    Dumferline West Fife
    Rutherglen, Hamilton ?
    Which seat is Dougie Alexander and his 17000 majority? Apparently he's standing against a 20 yr old student. Must have a chance surely?
    A chance maybe, but a slim one. Mhairi Black is sweeping all before her (and good for her!).
    Although to be fair, the main opposition parties gave Martin Bell a clear run against Hamilton.
  • Options
    And compare his sins to later MPs who held on. Can't bear him myself. Losing 22k - wow.
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

Anorak said:

RobC said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

snip

Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

snip

No, they'll do worse than UNS in Edinburgh. But lower swings are needed there. They'll outperform in Glasgow and the west where the 50+% majorities need to be toppled. They also do worse in LD/Con seats - hence Berwickshire and DCT having lower swings.

Glasgow NE
    E. Renfrewshire
    Ed S
    Aberdeen S

Any I'm missing?
    Dumfries Galloway
    Dumferline West Fife
    Rutherglen, Hamilton ?
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

Not hard to guess where this little stunt has come from. Ed Balls going round saying Dave is lying about VAT, "they said at the last election they wouldn't put it up but they did". On the doorstep tory canvassers report back that peeps would vote for us if they believed the tax policies, but they don't !

Politically it makes sense, economically its nuts.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited April 2015

taffys said:

Plaid are not dynamic like the SNP and have hampered Lab conversion by not ruling out propping up a Tory minority

Edit - their best shot would have been rainbow coalition in 2007 which they eschewed
    FACTCHECK

"An alternative option, the so-called "rainbow coalition" of Plaid Cymru, the Liberal Democrats, and the Conservatives, was negotiated between the leaders of those parties in mid-May, but was shot down at a Liberal Democrat special conference vote on 23 May." [Wiki]
  • Options
    edited April 2015

marke09 said:

The MP has retweeted - I doubt it's a windup.

https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP
  • Options
    Think I'd have to vote Yorkshire First in Hull !
  • Options
    Milibands worst case scenario - he votes down a Cameron QS and becomes PM with the SNP voting through his QS in return for a Devo Max bill, but Sturgeon then, sensibly, refuses to allow her MPs to vote on Rump UK matters only leaving Miliband unable to pass a budget or enact legislation for the rest of the UK alone, OR Sturgeon/Salmond (or Roberston if leading the Westminster SNPers) do vote but tack on amendments to every piece of legislation.
    Mkliband could make Murphy look like a political giant.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

i) gutless

Exactly, that's why this country must never accept your cockamanie idea of changing voting to PR.
  • Options
    Hull East is one of those "under-the-radar" seats for UKIP where they could do rather better than anyone is expecting. I remember in a recent local election in the Marfleet ward the turnout reached the dizzy heights of 11%.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

malcolmg said:

Lefties..do not worry..Eds interview with Brand will have all those errant Scots flooding back to Labour..Crosby must be pissing himself laughing

The way Labour are trying to ignore Scotland beggars belief. They still have a sense of entitlement to those seats and BJOwls is being delusional about the consequences.
    I think SeanT was the first on here to mention what the decimation of Scottish Labour would mean for the heart and soul of the UK party. I thought he was right, but it was unlikely to happen. I still think he's right, and now that it probably will happen.

It's not quite an existential crisis for Labour, but it's bad. *If* it happens, and the SNP remains popular, then the Labour party in 2020 will be a different beast. I just cannot tell which way it'll swing.
    Decimation is losing a tenth , it does not begin to describe what is happening.
    Yes. It is close to an extinction level event for SLAB.
    morgue slab
  • Options
    Pandas would be elected as MPs in some seats in E&W too if they used this as a PEB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF6bOi1NfA
    JPJ2 said:

Bondie

• Options

taffys said:

FACTCHECK

"An alternative option, the so-called "rainbow coalition" of Plaid Cymru, the Liberal Democrats, and the Conservatives, was negotiated between the leaders of those parties in mid-May, but was shot down at a Liberal Democrat special conference vote on 23 May." [Wiki]
    My apologies, I thought it was Plaid that shot it down.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,062
    The VAT law move, like the foreign aid budget law, is pathetic and ridiculous in equal measure.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pong said:

marke09 said:

Blimey.
  • Options
    An interesting point is that support for others in Scotland ( essentially UKIP/Greens) has halved since Jan, from 8% to 4%. Thats essentially whats been happening in England & Wales as well, just not as obvious because of the plethora of polls.
    Note also that Scots Conservatives are only just behind Labour.
  • Options
    If there are enough "bad" ballots in Hull, UKIP could spring a surprise. It'd have to be an awful lot, mind. It affects the national vote shares too which could be important for legitimacy post election.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    JEO said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Of course Miliband might do that, nonetheless, in which case he will have signed the death warrant of Labour in Scotland, as no Scots will ever see a need to vote Labour again, knowing that they get a Labour government anyway if they vote SNP, only its a Labour govt in hock to Scotland.

And what part of that is good for Dave?
    Labour being reduced to the inner city ghetto party (England and Wales only).

Is there a danger that a Miliband-led government will try to increase immigration again so as to improve their standing in England?
    I don't think that is going to help Labour. Due to the benefits of multiculturalism the new immigrants would merely join their existing communities in this country - which means that Labour would merely see their majorities in these already safe seats increasing - and those forced out would be more likely to vote Conservative.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Lol - Lib Dem Gain in Hull East?
  • Options

marke09 said:

SDP? Is David Owen making one more comeback?!
    The rump SDP did or do in Fact have a couple of councillors in the area - it's their last remaining stronghold (in relative terms!), bit like the original Liberals in Liverpool West Derby etc
  • Options
    Labour won't do any kind of deal with the SNP because they know how damaging it would be. Instead they'll dare them to vote down a Labour Queen's Speech. with memories of 1979 in mind.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Think I'd have to vote Yorkshire First in Hull !

It's not the only area with Postal Vote problems.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/local/maldon/12918185.display/

"Maldon District Council has apologised over a postal vote error affecting 1,172 people."

They accidentally mixed up the seats of Witham and Maldon constituencies.
  • Options
    Murphy must be close to having a breakdown live on National TV now.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    JohnO said:

On the previous thread SeanT posted this twitter from Ipsos MORI

@benatipsosmori: Looking at all polls public and in progress I have to say Conservatives edging ahead now, esp given Scottish situation

Anyone else notice the two words "in progress". I wonder whether that's a hint tomorrow's national Ipsos MORI poll will also be showing the Conservatives ahead.

Does sound like a Tory lead and that would align the phone pollsters.

Ipsos have been showing a very peculiar level of swing to Lab in the south - way above anyone else - and had over 40% public sector workers on their last phone poll.

One piece I have been watching is their Private Sector Employment tally, which broadly equates to a twenty-five million voting bloc. The Cons have been around 7% clear on average since the turn of the year in that group.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which channel?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour won't do any kind of deal with the SNP because they know how damaging it would be. Instead they'll dare them to vote down a Labour Queen's Speech. with memories of 1979 in mind.

The SNP will vote it through. Easiest decision ever for the SNP.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454

The VAT law move, like the foreign aid budget law, is pathetic and ridiculous in equal measure.

I agree problem is though, after the Blair Brown years nobody believes in a politicians promises. So they have to find a way to make them stick....
  • Options

Pong said:

marke09 said:

Blimey.
    A minor cockup, with potentially massive implications.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Which channel?
    Talking generally. His count should be fun to watch.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    BBC Brand doesn't vote...POEMWAS.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ.

Jim Murphy needs to get down on his hands and knees and beg Scottish Tories for their votes. That atleast might be enough to save Edinburgh South, East Lothian and Aberdeen South.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Which channel?
    I know.
    PB's "The Future Leader of Labour" losing his seat will be a nice dessert after the Clegg main course.

I really dislike leaders who lead their party to sure oblivion.
    When the ship sinks the captain must go with it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,035
    Shocking what's going on in Scotland...

If we do get an EU referendum (which is won by IN) will UKIP get a similar boost in 2020?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited April 2015

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

i) gutless

I really don't think there's any great public feeling that Labour has a duty not to vote against the Conservatives. If a party doesn't want to be voted down, they need to have a majority who either support them or who they've reached an agreement with not to vote against them. That's the way everyone expects it to be.
    You don't get it. If the VoNoC was carried, Cameron would resign.

The Queen always needs a PM. So Milichump would be summoned.

What does he say? "No thanks, send for Salmond or Clegg" ?, or "OK, but I refuse to put my government to the test and so we will go back to the polls with me as PM."

The former would be farcical and the latter a clear circumvention of the will of the people. Miliband would have caused a Constitutional crisis.

The Queen would almost certainly re-appoint Dave as "caretaker" PM, and let events take their course.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Which channel?
    I know.
    PB's "The Future Leader of Labour" losing his seat will be a nice dessert after the Clegg main course.

I really dislike leaders who lead their party to sure oblivion.
    When the ship sinks the captain must go with it.
    If it happens, it will hardly be Murphy's fault. The ship was set on course for the reef and the steering disabled ages before he got to the bridge.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

marke09 said:

An absolute guess, but as Turner comes after Nolan, have they just been cut in the wrong place? If so, printer error?
    Yep - two missing candidates
    Karl Turner (Labour)
    Sarah Walpole (Green)

(UKIP to win Hull as their candidate comes first. All Candidates to change their name to mr/mrs/miss Aaron ........Aaaainsworth in 2020.) (dots come before letters in Ascii)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    GIN1138 said:

Shocking what's going on in Scotland...

If we do get an EU referendum (which is won by IN) will UKIP get a similar boost in 2020?

Doubt it. But if it's won by OUT you can say goodbye to Scotland and Gibraltar.
  • Options
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    SPIN Gap widens to 16
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Apparently more Lord Ashcroft constituency polls out today?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
This discussion has been closed.