Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday afternoon rolling polling blog

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,016
    Mr. Eagles, be fair. It probably would've been worse if he'd done it sober.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Quite a big difference between the age groups in the Edinburgh South tables

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Edinburgh-South-April-2015-Full-tables.pdf
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, be fair. It probably would've been worse if he'd done it sober.

Something I've said on Saturday nights in the past
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Swing in Scotland is almost meaningless, it's SNP start point, "Yes" % and incumbency that are the important facts.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

So Labour now following a 30% strategy.

How does that work?

Lab 30, SNP 6 = progressive alliance no really we are happy about this 36?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited April 2015
    So unless something unexpected happens, there's just two more ICM's before polling day (next Monday and then an "Eve of poll poll" probably Wednesday 5th (won't be one on Monday 4th due to bank holiday)?

#gettingclose
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,485

Paging Sunil, you can't vote for that loser Wes Streeting, I mean how embarrassing is this ?

https://twitter.com/DJack_Journo/status/590175043377823745

'I would assume, as we are now into the short campaign for the election, they would want to be even-handed as a borough and have representatives from the other parties there as well, rather than just one. I was not invited.'
    – Lee Scott, Conservative candidate
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    I interpret the recent polls as the Tories moving ahead.

Could the 2015 election be the one where...

The Conservatives failed to show up, but won anyway and then lived to regret it.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, being a scallywag is nothing to be proud of.
  • Options

So Labour now following a 30% strategy.

How does that work?

Simple average of today's polls = Lab 32.8

Part-ELBOW = 33.5
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    antifrank said:
    He might have been at the Bitter as well :)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,025

isam said:

Just ELBOWed all four of today's polls (YG, Pop, Ash, ICM) = Lab 0.2% ahead

Oh does last nights YG count as today for ELBOW purposes?

If so I can reveal the first ever daily SPUD!
    An ELBOW is published on Sunday (Sunil on Sunday!), so an ELBOW week runs from Sunday to Saturday, regarding field-work end-dates.

What is SPUD?
    Sam's Polling Ups & Downs

The movement between the latest and previous polls

So far today (3 polls)

Con -5
    Lab -4
    UKIP +5
    LD +3
    Green -4

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2015
    UKIP movement No1:
    Get Bucks ‏@Get_Bucks 5h5 hours ago
    Mayor of Beaconsfield defects to @UKIP : http://getbucks.co.uk/news/local-news/mayor-beaconsfield-defects-ukip-9080462

Thats the 5th defection in 2 days.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2015

surbiton said:

kjohnw said:

from BBC: SNP will represent UK interests, leader Nicola Sturgeon says

Nicola Sturgeon seems to have become increasingly arrogant about her parties ability to dictate to rUK after the GE. Surely this will be a major turn off for English DK voters and will sure up the Tory vote south of the border. That a Scottish Party could hold England to ransom is an anathema to English voters

She, the SNP, has no right to consider at all those English only issues which are devolved to Scotland. What right has Sturgeon to vote on the English NHS?
    Legally, the SNP MPs will be elected to the UK Parliament. Not voting for English issues was just a convention. There is no law to stop them.

Can you stop SNP Lords from voting in the Lords ? There is no upper House in Holyrood.
    The fact that it is so, does not make it satisfactory.

It is a totally undemocratic aberration for so-called elected MPs to be deciding something for another country that doesn't apply in their own. If the SNP enact a bad English law, how does the electorate remove them from power? How do they get held to account?

This is not the same as Tory MPs under Thatcher creating laws as that was a single country then pre-devolution. English MPs don't and can't pass devolved legislation on Scotland.
    West Lothian on steroids this will be, with added FTPA. The dog's dinner that was 1997 devolution is coming home to roost.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

An ELBOW is published on Sunday (Sunil on Sunday!), so an ELBOW week runs from Sunday to Saturday, regarding field-work end-dates.

What is SPUD?

So far today (3 polls)

Con -5
    Lab -4
    UKIP +5
    LD +3
    Green -4

Oh I see, nice one!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Dair said:

antifrank said:

The Edinburgh South poll is the first that seems to show any evidence of tactical unionist voting. In the circumstances, it's probably the best poll for Labour of all the Lord Ashcroft Scottish constituency polls.

It is slightly strange though.

Has any other Ashcroft poll showed less than a 20% reduction in Labour's vote share? And this one shows less than 3% reduction. Seems very out of sync and nothing else in the Ashcroft series shows the Labour vote remaining so solid.

I guess the Tory shift supports the possibility of heavy tactical voting. But can it really produce more tactical votes given how things stand right now.
    It looks to me that in both Edinburgh seats, a substantial proportion of LDs have moved to Labour, (though more have moved to SNP). Both seats had a large LD vote last time, and that has collapsed.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SophyRidgeSky: Miliband in Scotland: "the next Labour government will end Tory austerity." Miliband in England:"we are going to cut the deficit every year"
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    SPIN unaffected by the Ashcroft poll.
  • Options
    We all want to see this, regardless of party:

@ElContador2000: Another important reason for #UKIP to gain power in the next election pic.twitter.com/E66hEQ6pBp” hand that man a lighter!

— Listen up! (@HearUsNowUSA1) April 19, 2015
  • Options
    Edinburgh South is my old student constituency. Very Middle Class and affluent in general. The fact that the SNP are even close is astounding.

I don't think Ian Murray thought he had a chance in hell of winning for Labour in 2010. Ironically he could be the only Labour MP from Scotland to be returned.
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    Roger said:

Antifrank

"The Edinburgh South poll is the first that seems to show any evidence of tactical unionist voting. In the circumstances, it's probably the best poll for Labour of all the Lord Ashcroft Scottish constituency polls."

Ian Murray is an outstanding local MP.

You jest :) Ian Murray and outstanding shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I interpret the recent polls as the Tories moving ahead.

I think Lib's are clawing their way into double digits as well?

• Options
    The Tories are really going for it in the South West

@George_Osborne: From this week, 600,000 people in South West cast postal vote. Vote Conservative for our plan for stronger SW. Vote Libdem &get Miliband/SNP
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133
    isam said:

isam said:

What is SPUD?

So far today (3 polls)

Con -5
    Lab -4
    UKIP +5
    LD +3
    Green -4

From a seat perspective, that's excellent news for both UKIP and the LibDems. Both need the vote share of the "big two" minimized.

It's funny, but from a UKIP winning seats point of view, a 1% rise in the LibDem share is equivalent to a 0.42% increase in their share.
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: Nick Clegg has had words with St Ives MP after Andrew George said another coalition with Tories will not happen. Clegg: "He is one voice".
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Barnesian said:

SPIN unaffected by the Ashcroft poll.

I assume because Ashcroft is always swinging about...

Con 34% Lab 30% with YouGov would move things I should think?

• Options
    Mr. P, assuming those quotes are direct, it would suit the SNP, the Conservatives, the Lib Dems *and* UKIP to bang on about them.
  • Options

@George_Osborne: From this week, 600,000 people in South West cast postal vote. Vote Conservative for our plan for stronger SW. Vote Libdem &get Miliband/SNP

As well they should.

In fact I'd advise the Tories to take their manpower out of London and pump it all to the second homes in the SW.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    Jonathan

"I interpret the recent polls as the Tories moving ahead."

It does feel like that. A pity because I think the Tories shameless buying of votes makes everyone-particularly those prepared to be bought-seem rather seedy. If ever the tactics of a party deserved to lose it's Cameron's Conservatives. Who knows though. Maybe at the last minute voters will do the right thing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: Miliband in Scotland: "the next Labour government will end Tory austerity." Miliband in England:"we are going to cut the deficit every year"

Well, it's technically true. Tory austerity is going to be replaced by Labour austerity, which for reasons that remain unclear to me both Labour and the public at large seem to think makes it hurt less.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,133
    MikeK said:

We all want to see this, regardless of party:

@ElContador2000: Another important reason for #UKIP to gain power in the next election pic.twitter.com/E66hEQ6pBp” hand that man a lighter!

— Listen up! (@HearUsNowUSA1) April 19, 2015

If it could be guaranteed that Russell Brand would do that, I think UKIP 326 seats would be nailed on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,638
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

In fact I'd advise the Tories to take their manpower out of London and pump it all to the second homes in the SW.
    One of my Lib Dem friends winced yesterday when Dave said "The SNP would stop road building and investment in the South West"

David Cameron and George Osborne = Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse

Nick Clegg & South West Lib Dems = General Custer
  • Options
    David Coburn MEP ‏@DavidCoburnUKip 6m6 minutes ago
    Nick Clegg admits on BBC - Coalition are responsible for Med refugee crisis due to their intervention in Libya
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited April 2015
    edit - deleted

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

What were the "No", "Yes" splits in the Edinburgh constituencies ?

Edinburgh N & Leith YES 40: NO 60
    Edinburgh S: YES 35: NO 65
    Edinburgh E: YES 47: NO 53
    Edinburgh SW: YES 38: NO 61
    Edinburgh W: YES 34: NO 65
    Could Mike Crockhart be THE shock Lib Dem hold of the night ?!
    He could. I'd certainly rather back the incumbent than Labour.
  • Options
    Whats the first move with profits if Dave gets back in then ?

Buy Lloyds at that 5% discount ?
  • Options
    LDs retaining seats in the SW should only lead to a Miliband government if the Tories are expecting plenty of losses elsewhere. Are they telling is things aren't going well?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Mediocre ICM and Poor Ashcroft for Labour. Must do better!!!
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Does anyone from Scotland have any ideas about what's caused the further swing to the SNP since the campaign began? Sturgeon's debates performances? Negative Murphy effect? Perceptions of anti-Scottishness from the English?

Probably all three and more.
    Telegraph smearing, Daily Mail's most dangerous woman in UK.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Perhaps he might have better tweeted "Vote UKIP and get Miliband/SNP"?

I would have thought the bigger SW worry was UKIP preventing them winning seats, not Tories voting LD. Why would anyone in the SW switch Tory > LD in 2015?

The Conservatives are very consciously not mentioning UKIP. They have correctly worked out that every mention of UKIP increases the kipper vote.

They have found a very clever way of drawing UKIP considerers back towards them. Lynton Crosby has earned his money.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

@patrickwintour: Nick Clegg has had words with St Ives MP after Andrew George said another coalition with Tories will not happen. Clegg: "He is one voice".

I imagine Clegg would regard an Andrew George defeat as a LibDem gain, just as many blues would for David Davis for the Tories.
  • Options
    Mr. S, fret not, I'm sure there'll be another Panelbase before voting day.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

LDs retaining seats in the SW should only lead to a Miliband government if the Tories are expecting plenty of losses elsewhere. Are they telling is things aren't going well?

Sign of the Tories doing well.

I was pointed out to me this weekend, if the Tories only have minor losses to Lab and gain a chunk from the Lib Dems, they'd be closer to a majority in 2015 than they were in 2010.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jonathan

It does feel like that. A pity because I think the Tories shameless buying of votes makes everyone-particularly those prepared to be bought-seem rather seedy. If ever the tactics of a party deserved to lose it's Cameron's Conservatives. Who knows though. Maybe at the last minute voters will do the right thing.

Labour have never 'bought' votes, I am sure.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

One of my Lib Dem friends winced yesterday when Dave said "The SNP would stop road building and investment in the South West"

Ok what's Murphy and Sturgeon? Varus and Hannibal? Von Paulus and Zhukov? I'm trying to reach for the right level of apocalypse......

Maybe the 9th legion (was it the ninth?) destroyed by wild Caledonians in the Highland mists never to be seen again?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

What were the "No", "Yes" splits in the Edinburgh constituencies ?

Edinburgh N & Leith YES 40: NO 60
    Edinburgh S: YES 35: NO 65
    Edinburgh E: YES 47: NO 53
    Edinburgh SW: YES 38: NO 61
    Edinburgh W: YES 34: NO 65
    Could Mike Crockhart be THE shock Lib Dem hold of the night ?!
    He could. I'd certainly rather back the incumbent than Labour.
    I can see that ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Owl, Varro* ;)

And Cannae does seem comparable. Worth noting that, up to and including that battle, Hannibal killed what would be the proportional equivalent in the UK of several million people, over 200 MPs and at least two Prime Ministers (at that point, he also killed Marcellus later on, and maybe another consul).

As Livy vividly painted the picture, it was a time of bed-wetting terror for the Romans, for a few days. Then their slightly psychopathic brand of patriotism shone true.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

Ok what's Murphy and Sturgeon? Varus and Hannibal? Von Paulus and Zhukov? I'm trying to reach for the right level of apocalypse......
    No Hannibal was overrated and lucky to take on such ineptness.

I'd say for Sturgeon and Murphy it would be

Sturgeon = Admiral Ackbar, Jim Murphy = The Emperor at Endor.

But more like it SLAB = Crassus, SNP = Surena and Labour are facing their Carrhae.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Mr. Owl, I think it was the Ninth, I interviewed a chap who wrote a sci-fi/history book where they, and two other units, were taken far off into an alien war:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/an-interview-with-andrew-p-weston.html

Edited exta bit: Mr. Eagles, you nincompoop.

It's the first recorded instance of a double pincer movement in battlefield history! He totally surrounded a force about twice as large as his own. Honestly, man. Educate yourself!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    SeanT said:

Every time Sturgeon appears on TV shifts about 10,000 English votes to the Tories/UKIP, I reckon.

This really is the best meme the Tories have, which is no doubt why they are banging on and on about it.

The real mystery is who the Nats would really like to see in Number 10. Received wisdom is that a Tory government is best for them, because Scots will feel aggrieved by English Tories.

I'm not so sure. I reckon a weak Labour government necessarily propped up Sturgeon is the Nats best result. It gives them (of course) maximum leverage, and it also gives them plentiful opportunities to sow Anglo-Scottish discord, furthering the long term aim of indy.

In which case, paradoxically, Sturgeon might be best advised to keep a lower profile south of the Border.
    I don't think it matters too much, the goal for the SNP is simply to get as many MPs as possible.

If Labour can't win in England it's not their fault/problem.

Edinburgh South is probably on a knife edge with named candidates, Dumfries and Galloway too. Berwickshire, Roxburgh, Selkirk and DCT also.
  • Options

Mr. Owl, Varro* ;)

And Cannae does seem comparable. Worth noting that, up to and including that battle, Hannibal killed what would be the proportional equivalent in the UK of several million people, over 200 MPs and at least two Prime Ministers (at that point, he also killed Marcellus later on, and maybe another consul).

As Livy vividly painted the picture, it was a time of bed-wetting terror for the Romans, for a few days. Then their slightly psychopathic brand of patriotism shone true.

Close! Never was any good with "us" and "o" and all that jazz in Latin. No wonder the Romans gave up speaking it and took up Spanish and Italian.....
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There is something sick and degrading at the heart of the Greens:

Barely Legal: Sick "Childhood Sexuality" Shame of @natalieben's Boyfriend http://t.co/OyI5IGffdV pic.twitter.com/k07v9DcJRk

— Gaia Fawkes (@GaiaFawkes) April 20, 2015
  • Options

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

Blundered into a trap but lucked out due to mistakes of the enemy vs Perfect plan but executed it poorly and undone due to complacency against what had been assumed a weak opponent?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    Roger said:

Jonathan

Roger- before you get disheartened too much this is a great article to show that campaigns actually make no difference at all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/exclusive-how-did-labour-lose-in-92-the-most-authoritative-study-of-the-last-general-election-is-published-tomorrow-here-its-authors-present-their-conclusions-and-explode-the-myths-about-the-greatest-upset-since-1945-1439286.html

If campaigns mattered, the Tories would be heading south quickly because theirs is simply abysmal.

The polls are not going to move much now. Infact I'm going to give myself a rest from poll watching for a few days- good advice to the others here. Enjoy the weather, and do some gardening.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

Blundered into a trap but lucked out due to mistakes of the enemy vs Perfect plan but executed it poorly and undone due to complacency against what had been assumed a weak opponent?
    Yup, imagine Scotland had voted Yes, and look at the price of oil, Scottish voters would be flocking to the Unionists to save them and the SNP would have no MPs come May the 7th.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    antifrank said:

I would have thought the bigger SW worry was UKIP preventing them winning seats, not Tories voting LD. Why would anyone in the SW switch Tory > LD in 2015?

The Conservatives are very consciously not mentioning UKIP. They have correctly worked out that every mention of UKIP increases the kipper vote.

They have found a very clever way of drawing UKIP considerers back towards them. Lynton Crosby has earned his money.
    By winning the indy ref by just the right margin to make Scots back the SNP en masse and possibly form part of the Westminster govt?

That is cunning beyond belief!

Although the fact remains: UKIPs VI is higher than a year ago, when it was being written off as just down to the Euros, with a precipice to follow...
  • Options
    Mr. Owl, it's complicated by the strange use of some terms (like Mark Antony) due to Shakespeare. -us is usually a safe bet. But not always.

Some reckon that it was actually Paullus who cocked it up and Varro who didn't want to fight, but the former had descendants of power who would've fought to 'correct' the record, whereas Varro didn't.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,017

surbiton said:

kjohnw said:

from BBC: SNP will represent UK interests, leader Nicola Sturgeon says

Nicola Sturgeon seems to have become increasingly arrogant about her parties ability to dictate to rUK after the GE. Surely this will be a major turn off for English DK voters and will sure up the Tory vote south of the border. That a Scottish Party could hold England to ransom is an anathema to English voters

She, the SNP, has no right to consider at all those English only issues which are devolved to Scotland. What right has Sturgeon to vote on the English NHS?
    Legally, the SNP MPs will be elected to the UK Parliament. Not voting for English issues was just a convention. There is no law to stop them.

Can you stop SNP Lords from voting in the Lords ? There is no upper House in Holyrood.
    The fact that it is so, does not make it satisfactory.

It is a totally undemocratic aberration for so-called elected MPs to be deciding something for another country that doesn't apply in their own. If the SNP enact a bad English law, how does the electorate remove them from power? How do they get held to account?

This is not the same as Tory MPs under Thatcher creating laws as that was a single country then pre-devolution. English MPs don't and can't pass devolved legislation on Scotland.
    You've answered your own question, actually (and so did Mr @kjohnw too). In the case of the NHS, we have an excellent example of the Blairite devolution settlement leaving the central core UK parliament hopelessly mixed up with what functions as an English parliament - one moment it's deciding English health policy and the other moment it's deciding budget allocations for the UK as a whole. The former is in my view (and presumably yours), generally not appropriate for the SNP unless (say) there is some overriding issue - for instance to ensure public health*, or possibly even the health of the Miliband premiership should Mr Miliband decide so. The latter, in contrast, most certainly is a legitimate issue.

*for instance, if there is an attempt to bring in an unwise policy which impinges on the UK as a whole, e.g. in terms of monitoring of infectious diseases
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For a VERRRRY limited period, Amazon Kindle are selling ICE TWINS for.... £1.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Twins-S-K-Tremayne-ebook/dp/B00KA0USZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1429545136&sr=1-1&keywords=ice+twins

Cheaper than half a pie at Greggs. Hurry!

Why? Are sales that bad?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

antifrank said:

By winning the indy ref by just the right margin to make Scots back the SNP en masse and possibly form part of the Westminster govt?

Shaking the pot was pretty much a bet to nothing for the Conservatives with Scotland.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    SeanT said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Twins-S-K-Tremayne-ebook/dp/B00KA0USZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1429545136&sr=1-1&keywords=ice+twins

What the hell Greggs do you go to?? Or is that Primrose Hill Greggs prices?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    I see Cameron is attending the leaders summit tomorrow on the Med. I hope he cleans some of that blood off his hands before he goes due to his callous decision to pull out the European wide searches.

Hammond's comments that saving these poor people only encourages them to come over. Really, shame on these pathetic excuses that we have for leaders.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Jonathan

Labour have never 'bought' votes, I am sure.
    Certainly not with pork sausage rolls - their pork comes in barrels.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Although the fact remains: UKIPs VI is higher than a year ago, when it was being written off as just down to the Euros, with a precipice to follow...
    Have you taken any profits out of your long-shot UKIP bets, Sam? Be a pity to be right about the surge but not end up winning (like the LD backers in 2010).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Well, it's outside my usual literary wheelhouse, but at that price, sure. And what's this recommendation, Amazon, Sir Edric's Temple for £2.22? Ok, why not.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JohnO said:

I imagine Clegg would regard an Andrew George defeat as a LibDem gain, just as many blues would for David Davis for the Tories.
    David Davis is very popular in the party.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    JEO said:

JohnO said:

In UKIP without a doubt.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,237
    MikeK said:

David Coburn MEP ‏@DavidCoburnUKip 6m6 minutes ago
    Nick Clegg admits on BBC - Coalition are responsible for Med refugee crisis due to their intervention in Libya

If Ghaddaffi had slaughtered people in Benghazi - as he threatened to do - there would likely have been refugees then. Sure the interventions by the West have not helped. But the coalition is not responsible for the rise of IS. IS has grown out of the culture of the Middle East and it is the turmoil caused by what appears to be a civil war - or several civil wars - within Islam, within and between countries and the growth of extremist groups. The West is not responsible for the fact that in a large part of the Middle East they seem incapable of developing any sort of stable society or political system which does not involve slaughtering people and causing others to flee.

How we deal with those fleeing all these catastrophes is hard to say. Leaving them to drown in the Mediterranean is, quite apart from any moral considerations, unlikely to succeed. If the choice is between living with IS or possible drowning there's no decision to take. Send them somewhere else? Maybe - but where? Why would Tunisia or Morocco want to have these people? Letting them into Europe? We can't take everyone who wants to leave the Middle East or Africa.

• Options
    Despite being fairly "down" on the Con's recently I have to say things might be getting better for them.

Just since Saturday Con have had 4% lead's with Opinium and Lord Ashcroft and a 2% lead with ICM.

If YouGov (which dominates the polling average's due to it's frequency) would move things would probably look reasonably good for the Blue's today.

• Options

UKIP ‘condemns’ fake blog which claims party is ‘100% against the pervert queer vote’ http://t.co/DOeCL5VO9r pic.twitter.com/RBT5ZmRoLi

— PinkNews (@pinknews) April 18, 2015
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    edited April 2015
    Depressing news for this morning for this PB Tory (the ICM poll). Not even the most Noble and Learn'd Lord's LARGER can make me feel better.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

welshowl said:

Pulpstar said:

As well they should.

No Hannibal was overrated and lucky to take on such ineptness.

I'd say for Sturgeon and Murphy it would be

But more like it SLAB = Crassus, SNP = Surena and Labour are facing their Carrhae.
    I would go with Murphy as Varus, and the legions of SLAB and SLD being led into the Tuetonberg forest by Clegg/Miliband as Arminius...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,017
    edited April 2015
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic: thanks for the article on the previous thread. Very interesting.

Re the SNP. Is there a risk of hubris, particularly among Scottish voters? Is Ms Sturgeon taking Scottish voters for granted? And could there be a swing back to SLAB, as a result? I'd be interested in the views of our Scottish posters.

It took decades of SLAB taking voters for granted before their grip weakened, I suspect the SNP appearing overconfident and a little too expectant that the votes are already theirs will not prove problematic in the short term at the very least. And if they get results? The passion and loyalty of the recently converted can be hard to dent.
    Thank you. To me - but I am in London - they sound a touch hubristic. I wonder, therefore, whether the SLAB wipeout will be as bad as forecast. If a party were so obviously behaving as if they were guaranteed my vote I'd be tempted to give them a bloody nose.

Purely anecdotal but I was talking to a family member who lives in another marginal London constituency and he commented - and he is pretty small "c" conservative and old-fashioned (in the best sense) - that EdM was growing on him (as a person) and he thought the Tory campaign was dire. He's going to some hustings in the constituency later this week.

The media reportage of the SNP in London in particular is not necessarily going to give the actual nuances, to put it mildly. Quite a bit of what I read [edit: up here, in contrast] is actually cautious and wary about what might still go wrong. It's more 'we might actually do this' rather than 'we will'.

But that brings me to the other factor beside what Mr kle4 mentions, which is that the SNP MUST be seen to be winning to be worth voting for - and conversely that the portrayal of Labour as increasingly a wasted vote is important. This is the first time in living memory that a SNP vote in a UKGE wasn't likely to be a wasted vote (think voting LD in many southern seats) so the more people realise this the better.

A lot of people in Scotland used to vote tactically against the Tories - or at least that was an important consideration: the NOTA vote benefited SLAB hugely because thy were often the more credible opposition. Now?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

I see Cameron is attending the leaders summit tomorrow on the Med. I hope he cleans some of that blood off his hands before he goes due to his callous decision to pull out the European wide searches.

Hammond's comments that saving these poor people only encourages them to come over. Really, shame on these pathetic excuses that we have for leaders.

I can't imagine that the Mediterranean nations would chip in, if Britain's coastline was overwhelmed by seaborne immigrants.

What was Italy's contribution to fight Ebola in Africa?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    tyson said:

Roger said:

Jonathan

Roger- before you get disheartened too much this is a great article to show that campaigns actually make no difference at all.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/exclusive-how-did-labour-lose-in-92-the-most-authoritative-study-of-the-last-general-election-is-published-tomorrow-here-its-authors-present-their-conclusions-and-explode-the-myths-about-the-greatest-upset-since-1945-1439286.html

If campaigns mattered, the Tories would be heading south quickly because theirs is simply abysmal.

The polls are not going to move much now. Infact I'm going to give myself a rest from poll watching for a few days- good advice to the others here. Enjoy the weather, and do some gardening.
    Its just your opinion that the campaign is poor. It cannot be as poor as Labour who look like they are going to lose nearly all their seats in Scotland. Its this dynamic which is disrupting the whole election. With 17 days to go the dust has still to settle down on this explosion.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

@MaxPB

must just be rich parents able to put up hundreds of thousands for their kid(s) to buy expensive flats.

That'll be it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Strangely, I don't think the plan is that longstanding, no. It's a case of necessity being the mother of invention. No Frank Zappas were injured in the composition of this post.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Andrew Hawkins ‏@Andrew_ComRes 4 mins4 minutes ago

ComRes/ITV News: around 2/3 of GB voters don't want Salmond or the SNP to play a part in the next British Govt

Tories starting to cut through to the GBP.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    O/T Scandal starting to get hot for Tom Brake in Carshalton and Wallington
    http://insidecroydon.com/2015/04/20/environment-secretary-davey-helps-brake-dine-out-with-viridor/

• Options
    edited April 2015

isam said:

antifrank said:

Have you taken any profits out of your long-shot UKIP bets, Sam? Be a pity to be right about the surge but not end up winning (like the LD backers in 2010).
    I haven't had enough on most of them to worry about hedging massively really

I had £50@11/4 5-10% to cover the 6/4 10%+ and £50@5/2 LD/UKIP to cover the 6/4 UKIP/LD, but the only other bets I had more than £100 on are Thurrock at 16s and South Basildon at 20s.. I suppose I should back the Tories in Thurrock at 5s or whatever they are really

EDIT actually I have had £100 on Rotherham 9/2, Rochford East 12s and Rother Valley 8s too! They haven't come in loads though
  • Options
    RobD said:

Depressing news for this morning for this PB Tory (the ICM poll). Not even the most Noble and Learn'd Lord's LARGER can make me feel better.

ICM & Lord A have similar methodologies. Jointly, they gave the Tories a 3% lead last week and have done the same again this week.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

I had £50@11/4 5-10% to cover the 6/4 10%+ and £50@5/2 LD/UKIP to cover the 6/4 UKIP/LD, but the only other bets I had more than £100 on are Thurrock at 16s and South Basildon at 20s.. I suppose I should back the Tories in Thurrock at 5s or whatever they are really

EDIT actually I have had £100 on Rotherham 9/2, Rochford East 12s and Rother Valley 8s too! They haven't come in loads though
    9/2 in Thurrock now but still a bet to my eye.
  • Options

ComRes/ITV News: around 2/3 of GB voters don't want Salmond or the SNP to play a part in the next British Govt

Not necessarily good news for the Tories, though. Voters could decide to vote Labour to give it a majority based simply on England and Wales.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Is there a handy paypal link available? – I wish to donate to Russell Brand’s TNT appeal.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Why? Are sales that bad?
    Hah, no. Generally the opposite: amazon will aggressively reduce price on books that are selling well, so amazon can keep their huge market share. And they match the lowest price out there.

e.g. my book in hardback was originally about £10, but then Asda started selling it (and selling quite a lot of it) for £5, so amazon reduced their price to £5, where it remains.

Nook just reduced the ebook to £1.99, so amazon are matching that, too.

However these REALLY low prices don't last long, they are loss leaders.

SeanT said:

MikeK said:

SeanT said:

Why? Are sales that bad?
    Hah, no. Generally the opposite: amazon will aggressively reduce price on books that are selling well, so amazon can keep their huge market share. And they match the lowest price out there.

e.g. my book in hardback was originally about £10, but then Asda started selling it (and selling quite a lot of it) for £5, so amazon reduced their price to £5, where it remains.

Nook just reduced the ebook to £1.99, so amazon are matching that, too.

However these REALLY low prices don't last long, they are loss leaders.

Understood. Best of luck with the film rights.
  • Options

I'm sure around 2/3 don't want Cameron or the Tories to play a part in the next British Govt.

:lol:
  • Options

I wonder if that means they'll be a ComRes/ITV/Daily Mail voting intention poll out later?

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

tyson said:

Roger said:

Jonathan

Its just your opinion that the campaign is poor.
    Of course this is all subjective but the Tories seem to have gone from saying that Ed Miliband will personally stab you in the back if you vote Labour to reversing their rhetoric on public spending with billions of unfunded commitments when that didnt work. It does all seem a bit crap tbh.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Danny565 said:

Does anyone from Scotland have any ideas about what's caused the further swing to the SNP since the campaign began? Sturgeon's debates performances? Negative Murphy effect? Perceptions of anti-Scottishness from the English?

All three are certainly factors in SLAB and the LibDems imminent virtual extinction. Demographically SLAB has lost it's dominance among women, where historically they have drawn 55% of their support. The constant demonization of the SNP and it's 50% supporters by the MSM and self-styled Westminster elite, does not play well in Scotland. The last ditched attempts to encourage Unionist tactical voting will likely drive the SNP surge to over 50%.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Re the SNP. Is there a risk of hubris, particularly among Scottish voters? Is Ms Sturgeon taking Scottish voters for granted? And could there be a swing back to SLAB, as a result? I'd be interested in the views of our Scottish posters.

It took decades of SLAB taking voters for granted before their grip weakened, I suspect the SNP appearing overconfident and a little too expectant that the votes are already theirs will not prove problematic in the short term at the very least. And if they get results? The passion and loyalty of the recently converted can be hard to dent.
    Thank you. To me - but I am in London - they sound a touch hubristic. I wonder, therefore, whether the SLAB wipeout will be as bad as forecast. If a party were so obviously behaving as if they were guaranteed my vote I'd be tempted to give them a bloody nose.

Purely anecdotal but I was talking to a family member who lives in another marginal London constituency and he commented - and he is pretty small "c" conservative and old-fashioned (in the best sense) - that EdM was growing on him (as a person) and he thought the Tory campaign was dire. He's going to some hustings in the constituency later this week.

The media reportage of the SNP in London in particular is not necessarily going to give the actual nuances, to put it mildly. Quite a bit of what I read [edit: up here, in contrast] is actually cautious and wary about what might still go wrong. It's more 'we might actually do this' rather than 'we will'.

But that brings me to the other factor beside what Mr kle4 mentions, which is that the SNP MUST be seen to be winning to be worth voting for - and conversely that the portrayal of Labour as increasingly a wasted vote is important. This is the first time in living memory that a SNP vote in a UKGE wasn't likely to be a wasted vote (think voting LD in many southern seats) so the more people realise this the better.

A lot of people in Scotland used to vote tactically against the Tories - or at least that was an important consideration: the NOTA vote benefited SLAB hugely because thy were often the more credible opposition. Now?

Carnyx: thanks. Interesting. I can see that the SNP need to counter the wasted vote argument.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    tyson said:

I hope he cleans some of that blood off his hands .

You still moaning about JackW's delicious black pudding ?

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Is it just the tories? IF ed goes down the aisle with the SNP, is the rest of the PLP really going to follow him, with polls like that?

• Options
    SeanT said:

Greggs pasties are normally £1 to £1.50 :lol:
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    SeanT said:

Every time Sturgeon appears on TV shifts about 10,000 English votes to the Tories/UKIP, I reckon.

....snip

In which case, paradoxically, Sturgeon might be best advised to keep a lower profile south of the Border.
    Why should Sturgeon want to do anything south of the border. She is a Scottish Nationalist.
    Sturgeon is not actually running standing as an MP is she?
    It will take someone clever to explain to a visitor from Mars just what is going in here...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JohnO said:

JEO said:

JohnO said:

In UKIP without a doubt.
    No, in the Conservatives. He's fighting the good fight to get the Tories back in touch with the working class, rather than abandoning it and heading off to UKIP. Perhaps the inner crowd of the leadership don't like him, but he's very popular among the activist base.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

9/2 in Thurrock now but still a bet to my eye.
    Ok cheers

I don't really get the discrepancy between the two UKIP prices in Thurrock and S Basildon & E Thurrock.. on my workings out they should be the same price
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

SeanT said:

Greggs pasties are normally £1 to £1.50 :lol:
    Only because Osborne's attempt to tax them more were beaten back ;)
  • Options
    Of course a vote for the SNP isn't a wasted vote. And yes the "threat" of the SNP could well have some soft Lib Dems and kippers returning to the blues.

But the SNP only wants SNP seats - they either get to torture Miliband for 5 years or if Dave gets in another referendum is on the cards sooner rather than later.

Whatever happens in England, the SNP win.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yet a vote for the SNP WILL be a wasted vote if the threat of Sturgeon (see the poll below) frightens enough English people into voting Tory.

You Scotch guys may not get the nuances of English politics up there in Caledonia.

Down here the Sturgeon-Miliband-pocket stuff is working. The SNP sound arrogant and meddlesome, and Labour look rattled on the issue.
    If only the Scots had voted for Independence, eh? :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sturgeon seems far far less toxic than Eck in these ComRes numbers.

No wonder he was hidden today.
This discussion has been closed.