Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Monday afternoon rolling polling blog

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Nelson is a complete tw**
    Have you even read the article, you halfbaked turnip? He's paying you a compliment.
    I was merely commenting on him. If you look I did read and comment on the article elsewhere, surprisingly decent for him , not normal and must be down to his excitement at his Auntie meeting Alex and Nicola at the weekend. He is however still a complete tw**.
    Heh - I just thought it was a good chance to insult you in your usual style. It seems that you respond positively to that :p
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Plato said:

Well, that's made my day ICM still leading with Tories.

Haha that's because they always give them a good score!

Not always. Labour led in 11 out of 12 ICM polls in 2014, and also led 33/30 in the January ICM.

Even if we assume last week's poll was an outlier, there's been a clear shift to the Conservatives with ICM.
    My guess is that on the day the Tories will lead by around 5% (36-31) with the SNP doing exceptionally well. What would be the likley composition of the Commons?
    The Tories might be close to a majority on those figures, if the Lib Dems had got completely annihilated.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    Alanbrooke

" LibDem + DUP = Fifty shades of Orange

The future's bright"

Otherwise known as H-Block
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Why did the last defence review not start with strategy? Why would the next one if Cameron and Osborn are still in charge?

Because Cameron's style is very much to delegate. In many cases - welfare, education - that has proven a dramatic success. In a few cases, most notably defence in 2010, the minister given the delegated responsibility didn't do a good job.
    So cutting defence spending was actually a MoD decision?
    Didn't you know ?

Less is more and black is the new white and the Conservatives never make a mistake.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

BREAKING BREAKFAST BRIEFING NEWS **** BREAKING BREAKFAST BRIEFING NEWS ****
    And the best till last ....

There is a small but strengthening band of players who, if the situation remain static, believe the PM should accept the Miliband debate gauntlet and turn the QT three way leaders interview into a full scale debate and make it a game changer.

The fly in the ointment is Clegg. Including him risks another Cleggasm, albeit of a more limited nature this time, and excluding him may prove very difficult.

Generally looks about right. But even on those optimistic CCO figures that only gets them to about 292-296 seats. Amusing that CCO expect Labour to lose more seats in Scotland than they actually have. Does Murphy count as two?

Love the 'under the radar' gain. Birmingham Northfield, please.
    I know the under the radar gain but that specific seat info was given in confidence. The other potential gain is more obvious.
    JohnO said:

JackW said:

@JackW. Wow. Cameron thinks a direct 1:1 debate is worth the risk?

It must be bad. But it may be worth it given the polls.

This is a strategy that some, and certainly nothing like a majority, are preparing for.
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

There is a small but strengthening band of players who, if the situation remain static, believe the PM should accept the Miliband debate gauntlet and turn the QT three way leaders interview into a full scale debate and make it a game changer.

The fly in the ointment is Clegg. Including him risks another Cleggasm, albeit of a more limited nature this time, and excluding him may prove very difficult.

Changing tack on the debates would leave Cameron looking ridiculous, IMO.

He's made his choice (not to go head to head) now he has to stick with it.

Hope the black pudding doesn't cause any blockages to Jack's ARSE...

If the circumstance change and demand it's strange how firm positions become somewhat looser. :smile:

You mean Ed Miliband MIGHT be Prime Minister?

Bob Sykes becomes my hero.
    No .... and seek your GP's help ....

In fact on both counts !! :smile:

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

malcolmg said:

""My view on the SNP "threat" is that it resonates well in Surrey Heath but is barely an issue anywhere else. Indeed, the reception Sturgeon is getting is probably undermining every single Sturgeon with Ed in pocket billboard poster appearing in every northern working class Tory held marginal. I mentioned the one on the main st in Colne (Pendle) last week - I think many in Colne are looking at that as a prospectus and thinking "I quite like the sound of that, how do I vote for her?"

That's why the Tory focus on the SNP is going so catastrophically, calamitously wrong.

Why can only a handful of us see this??""

There is a strange love affair between some of the English and the SNP which is hard to fathom. The SNP are highly political and only look after themselves. If you are a Scot who does not agree with them then you are ostracised at every junction. If something goes wrong then it is always the fault of the b...dy English.

What amazes me is that it is only the Tories who have the guts to take them head on whilst Labour seem to think they can be their friends. I had a Scottish Labour leaflet today which attacked the Tories / Coalition in 4 sections while ignored the SNP. The only way that Labour will hold their seat is convincing the 20% who support Lib Dems / Tories to help them. Guess what the result of our seat will be.

The Tory campaign is weak but I see their attack on the SNP as the only area where they actually are showing strength. Much better than trying to bribe the electorate with their own money.

LOL, how can anyone be so out of touch with reality and claim to actually live in Scotland
    Stuart Dickson came close.
    Touche
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited April 2015
    JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Plato said:

Not always. Labour led in 11 out of 12 ICM polls in 2014, and also led 33/30 in the January ICM.

Even if we assume last week's poll was an outlier, there's been a clear shift to the Conservatives with ICM.
    My guess is that on the day the Tories will lead by around 5% (36-31) with the SNP doing exceptionally well. What would be the likley composition of the Commons?
    You're looking at another Con-Lib coalition (and I don't accept all the blether about the LDs not going into coalition with the Tories again).
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited April 2015
    Danny565 said:

JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Plato said:

The Tories might be close to a majority on those figures, if the Lib Dems had got completely annihilated.
    Thanks but I don't belive the Libs will suffer that apocalpyse....perhaps they'll end up between 30 and 35?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    isam said:

Why are people relying on someone else to tip them up each way snides?

All you need is oddschecker, Betfair, and a brain

and time, dear boy, time
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Polls averaging out at level pegging. Apart from the +6 outliers for Lab and Con reverting to mean, the polls say level pegging the minor parties' shares affecting the numbers of the 'big 2'.
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Changing tack on the debates would leave Cameron looking ridiculous, IMO.

He's made his choice (not to go head to head) now he has to stick with it.

Hope the black pudding doesn't cause any blockages to Jack's ARSE...

When was the last time PM and LOTO went 'head to head in a TV debate?
    We have had a debate. Because of an attempt to stuff Cameron by confronting him with UKIP but leaving out the Greens (ie not a repeat of last time's 3-way), this debate was a pointless 7-way.

As for Clegg - he is going round the country looking a bit like Pam Ewing, pretending the last 5 years never happened.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Still waiting for the Con 30% poll Bob Sykes promised us. Perhaps the noble Lord will oblige?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

isam said:

Plato said:

320 Conservative seats, according to Baxter, if we assume Lib Dems on 10%, and UKIP on 11%.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

lol. Some of us have been predicting this for about a year, and didn't need a fry-up with Ossie to discern the irresistible logic. Cameron is the underdog: underdogs need debates.
    You've been predicting every possible option every time a new poll springs up. Consistency isn't your strong point. :wink:

How was yor breakfast? Enlightening?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Alanbrooke

The future's bright"

Preparation H Block, I fully expect the DUP to be as much a pain in the arse as the SNP.

Of course H Blocks were built under a Labour government and what with Nun basher Tristram on the loose it's all looking good for a Labour - DUP alliance.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

and time, dear boy, time
    Or a bot!

Plenty of people do that for a living, or at least employ other people to do it for them
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    edited April 2015
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

On topic: thanks for the article on the previous thread. Very interesting.

Re the SNP. Is there a risk of hubris, particularly among Scottish voters? Is Ms Sturgeon taking Scottish voters for granted? And could there be a swing back to SLAB, as a result? I'd be interested in the views of our Scottish posters.

Not a chance of it , will be few changing their minds if any.
    I think the main risk for the SNP is that turnout is low, much lower than predicted. It is becoming deeply uncool to be political again.

The Scotsman had an interesting poll in the paper today saying that students in Glasgow are voting SNP, in Edinburgh Green and Labour and in St Andrews Conservative. Worthwhile remembering that Scotland is a large area with many different regions who will not vote all the same way. No polls to split the SNP vote by region but they may well pile up votes in Dundee and Glasgow but do less well in Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

• Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

lol. Some of us have been predicting this for about a year, and didn't need a fry-up with Ossie to discern the irresistible logic. Cameron is the underdog: underdogs need debates.
    You've been predicting every possible option every time a new poll springs up. Consistency isn't your strong point. :wink:

I make about eight predictions a day, of wildly varying utility, then I make some more when I'm drunk.

But then I make OFFICIAL predictions which I stand by.

My OFFICIAL predictions called the last election right, the AV referendum right, indyref right, and both US prez elex right (though the US stuff wasn't hard).

I also predicted the post-defeat SNP surge, unforeseen by almost all....

2015 is proving to be the toughest of all to predict with any accuracy. But I've made my best attempt.
    Your mood swings give me whiplash.

I'll never forget your wailing when that YouGov had Yes ahead.

You'd have been terrible in the trenches.
  • Options

Still waiting for the Con 30% poll Bob Sykes promised us. Perhaps the noble Lord will oblige?

Bob was very colourful in his denunciations of Cameron on Friday. I remember "the election-losing cretin" as one of them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Apparently, there is a poll out saying that Doctors back Cameron over Miliband. Not sure of the source.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

I make about eight predictions a day, of wildly varying utility, then I make some more when I'm drunk.

My OFFICIAL predictions called the last election right, the AV referendum right, indyref right, and both US prez elex right (though the US stuff wasn't hard).

2015 is proving to be the toughest of all to predict with any accuracy. But I've made my best attempt.
    Your mood swings give me whiplash.

I'll never forget your wailing when that YouGov had Yes ahead.

You'd have been terrible in the trenches.
    He'd have been shot for desertion....by both sides
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    Well I did enjoy this mornings effort by BBC Radio Jockland wheeling in Prof Curtice to explain to the rebellious barbarian hordes the why and the how of voting tactically. Its shameless effort at subversion back fired on them though when the pedantic Prof said tactical voting was an utter waste of time as the SNP was so far ahead. I almost crashed the car. :) He might not be getting invited back any time soon if he keeps that up.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    If @jungland is lurking - I'd love to know what is going on with your Stirling market. Its was suspended several times over the last few days and has now been withdrawn completely.

Is it likely to return?

Ta muchas.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

and time, dear boy, time
    Or a bot!

Plenty of people do that for a living, or at least employ other people to do it for them
    indeed and I use PB for it!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Here's an interesting thing. Natalie Bennett lives in my constituency, and is standing as an MP here (Holborn & St Pancras).

Her address is on the postal voting slip (I already voted as I might be out the country for the GE itself). I've also noticed that it is freely available to view on Google.

I admire her for this (if nothing else). It also enables me to reveal that her home is, according to Zoopla, worth £362,147

She must be the poorest of all the "major party" leaders. She's also, very clearly, on the wrong side of the Camden tracks.

Go on, you know you want to tell us. Who did you vote for?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    SeanT said:

Here's an interesting thing. Natalie Bennett lives in my constituency, and is standing as an MP here (Holborn & St Pancras).

Her address is on the postal voting slip (I already voted as I might be out the country for the GE itself). I've also noticed that it is freely available to view on Google.

I admire her for this (if nothing else). It also enables me to reveal that her home is, according to Zoopla, worth £362,147

She must be the poorest of all the "major party" leaders. She's also, very clearly, on the wrong side of the Camden tracks.

Interesting. I hope she wins.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    If ICM is correct then labour are only 3% above what they achieved in 2010. You would imagine from the tone of the thread that Labour are doing great???!!!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    SeanT said:

Here's an interesting thing. Natalie Bennett lives in my constituency, and is the Green PPC here (Holborn & St Pancras).

Oh dear, not in Primrose Hill, just like you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Pong said:

If @jungland is lurking - I'd love to know what is going on with your Stirling market. Its was suspended several times over the last few days and has now been withdrawn completely.

Is it likely to return?

Ta muchas.

Just get on with Spreadex :D
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    The day the polls turned
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    SeanT said:

Here's an interesting thing. Natalie Bennett lives in my constituency, and is the Green PPC here (Holborn & St Pancras).

Guido Fawkes' had a blog entry on her partner earlier. He doesn't seem like a very pleasant man.
  • Options

Roger said:

Alanbrooke

The future's bright"

Preparation H Block, I fully expect the DUP to be as much a pain in the arse as the SNP.

Of course H Blocks were built under a Labour government and what with Nun basher Tristram on the loose it's all looking good for a Labour - DUP alliance.
    That reminds me of Ian Hislop's spoof Home and Garden piece in Private Eye.

"Mr. Sands has decorated his apartment in a delicate shade of pastel brown. "I find it very soothing and relaxing" he tells me."
  • Options

Mr. Sykes, worth noting all polls have a certain fuzziness, and every so often one will just be plain wrong.

Four consecutive Con leads (3, 3, 6, 2), although the direction of travel in the latest is not good for them. As I said below, surprised UKIP rose from 7 to 11.

Edited extra bit: is this the penultimate ICM poll? Presumably they'll have one on the eve of the election.

No doubt before the onset of daily polls the weekly movements of say ICM would have been considered epic. But with polls coming out daily or 2ce weekly we see they are kin effect always all over the place.
    The truth has been the same since 2010 - voting UKIP gives us Labour, only it will be a Labour dominated by a far left SNP, only too keen to peddle the long held anti nuclear prejudices of its leadership and new ex-labour activists.
  • Options
    currystar said:

If ICM is correct then labour are only 3% above what they achieved in 2010. You would imagine from the tone of the thread that Labour are doing great???!!!

In fact, only 2% above their 2010 vote share, in Great Britain. But, under FPTP, standing still is fine if your opponent falls back.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    Currystar

Isn't that slightly worrying when the Tories are down 2% and they didn't even get a majority last time?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Re the SNP. Is there a risk of hubris, particularly among Scottish voters? Is Ms Sturgeon taking Scottish voters for granted? And could there be a swing back to SLAB, as a result? I'd be interested in the views of our Scottish posters.

I think the main risk for the SNP is that turnout is low, much lower than predicted. It is becoming deeply uncool to be political again.

The Scotsman had an interesting poll in the paper today saying that students in Glasgow are voting SNP, in Edinburgh Green and Labour and in St Andrews Conservative. Worthwhile remembering that Scotland is a large area with many different regions who will not vote all the same way. No polls to split the SNP vote by region but they may well pile up votes in Dundee and Glasgow but do less well in Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Always a risk but I think turnout will be high compared to previous. I would not believe anything in the Scotsman , it is worse than the Daily Record. For sure it is not going to be a good election for labour, that is almost certain.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Today's ICM is, except for the Conservatives/Others figures what I predicted for the result nearly two weeks ago and which I have placed in my work's prediction league:

Conservative 37%
    Labour 32%
    UKIP 11%
    Lib Dem 10%
    Green 5%
    Others 5%

I went for Conservatives getting about 319 seats, but acknowledged it could be Tory maj, Tory minority or Lib-Con coalition dependent on where the votes fall.

I am sticking to this at the moment, but we get a round two of our prediction league in the final week and for now I would likely put the Cons down to 36% and others up to 6%.

In terms of shy voters as discussed earlier, I can only struggle to make a case for the notion of the shy Labour voter outside of Scotland; why would they not be open about voting Labour? But shy LD, Con, UKIP and Lab in Scotland seem sensible ideas to me.
  • Options
    chestnut said:
    Conservatives lead 37-34 in England and Wales, a 3.5% swing to Labour.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    UKIP / Lib Dem Crossover?
  • Options
    Labour 3% behind in England and Wales from the ICM tables. Scotland is distorting the headline figures into making the situation look worse for Labour than it is.

Dire for SLAB, not so bad for English/Welsh Labour.
  • Options
    The England Wales subsamples of ICM have actually remained remarkably consistent.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

Guido Fawkes' had a blog entry on her partner earlier. He doesn't seem like a very pleasant man.
    Who, Guido?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Tiny subsample puts SNP on 57%.

Isn't that the highest subsample of all so far?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Following the construction of Solstice Point (my next door neighbour), Primrose Hill has now officially been extended to the top of Parkway and Delancey, at least by the estate agents and their pricing.

2 bed flat: £1.25m.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-33353568.html

If you're a bit skint, you could have had a one bedder for £750,000, but I think they've sold out:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-33311331.html

Bonkers isn't it? My 5 bedroom house, with 3/8 acre garden is worth about half that. That would get me a cupboard in London.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

Paul Staines is a particularly unpleasant man
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Paddypower has now made Ed Miliband favourite over Cameron to be PM.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Following the construction of Solstice Point (my next door neighbour), Primrose Hill has now officially been extended to the top of Parkway and Delancey, at least by the estate agents and their pricing.

If you're a bit skint, you could have had a one bedder for £750,000, but I think they've sold out:

Unlikely.

Primrose Hill = West of the railway line, yummy mummies and models.

Parkway = 'Edgy', mangy dogs on leads made of old string.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited April 2015
    To be fair, as a bloke who all he has done is work in politics, he isn't exactly down wit da kids...but the "what is Vice News, what do you do?"...was a cracker. Errhhh we report on news and stuff...

Really is son of Brown.

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    from BBC: SNP will represent UK interests, leader Nicola Sturgeon says

Nicola Sturgeon seems to have become increasingly arrogant about her parties ability to dictate to rUK after the GE. Surely this will be a major turn off for English DK voters and will sure up the Tory vote south of the border. That a Scottish Party could hold England to ransom is an anathema to English voters
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Some mere mortals and myself might find it a wee bit tricky to discern your drunken or sober or OFFICIAL predictions from each other.

Is there a patent PB device that is able to detect the political drivel (Patent Nigel Farage) from the searingly precise Sean Thomas offerings ?

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Generally looks about right. But even on those optimistic CCO figures that only gets them to about 292-296 seats. Amusing that CCO expect Labour to lose more seats in Scotland than they actually have. Does Murphy count as two?

Love the 'under the radar' gain. Birmingham Northfield, please.
    I know the under the radar gain but that specific seat info was given in confidence. The other potential gain is more obvious.

Are you saying that this is an 'under the radar' win which could be set to be the Lembit Opik moment of 2015? A seat with odds of 10-20?

B'ham Edgbaston? Not really. The Labour MP is popular and the Tory odds are 'only' 6.

Otherwise, it must be a far away suburban or rural seat of which I know little. Scotland or northern England? It is changing demographically which counters the forecast slight swing to Labour. It has a dud MP.

A three-way marginal where the winning Tory relies on a vote split 35/30/30% between Tory/Lib./SNP? Or a three-way marginal which the SNP makes into a four-way marginal and Tories win on 25%?
  • Options
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

His comments are without a doubt disturbing. Even being charitable about him, you must ask why does he feel the need to go on about it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Bonkers isn't it? My 5 bedroom house, with 3/8 acre garden is worth about half that. That would get me a cupboard in London.
    It is bonkers from a UK perspective, less bonkers when you think of London as another world city competing with NYC, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo. Those cities have fairly similar prices.

And let's see if London property pricing survives a Miliband government. I know many would love to see it crash, but if it does the crash will then extend to the rest of the UK. which will be less funny for the London-haters.
    Why would that be less funny, the whole UK housing market is just pure overvalued bollocks.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,234
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you Malcolm.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2015
    Yet London is about to vote heavily Labour. I confess I have no obvious idea why.

Because the 20 and 30-something people who are getting and doing these new jobs are not getting anywhere. They face utterly impossible property prices, extortionate rents, huge travelling costs and 5 quid a pint.

They are, in effect slaves to big companies, central government and rich foreign rent seekers. And, unless something is done, they always will be.

Ed Miliband represents doing something. Most of the young workers who work for us realise it isn;t the right something.

But it is something
  • Options
    edited April 2015

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

A full English is excellent value .... especially if you're not paying. :smiley:

Full details down thread @2:30pm

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    SeanT said:

Which part of that is meant to be interesting?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Anyone heard anything about these seats?

"...a UKIP insider told Breitbart London that Labour have “taken either eye off the ball” in a number of areas that were previously considered safe. UKIP bosses are now expecting a number of shock results on 7th May that will dent Labour’s dominance in Northern England.

So far the pundits suggested UKIP were in contention in Rotherham, Heywood and Grimsby. Labour responded by running major campaigns in the seats, hoping to thwart UKIP plans. However, there are now believed to be up to five other seats in contention, but they are not receiving support from Labour HQ as it’s unaware of the risk."

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/04/20/working-class-voters-eyeing-ukip-as-polling-tips-surprise-northern-england-wins/
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    taffys said:

Yet London is about to vote heavily Labour. I confess I have no obvious idea why.

Because the 20 and 30-something people who are getting and doing these new jobs are not getting anywhere. They face utterly impossible property prices, extortionate rents, huge travelling costs and 5 quid a pint.

They are, in effect slaves to big companies central government and rich foreign rent seekers. And, unless something is done, they always will be.

Ed Miliband represents doing something. Most of the young workers who work for us realise it isn;t the right something.

But it is something

The crazy thing is that if Milliband crashes the Economy, they will be some of the first to be laid off.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    ICM poll interesting.

The raw numbers are Tories and Labour level-pegging

Adjust for certainty to vote and Tories lead by 3%

Adjust for don't-knows and the Tory lead is down to 2%
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

"...a UKIP insider told Breitbart London that Labour have “taken either eye off the ball” in a number of areas that were previously considered safe. UKIP bosses are now expecting a number of shock results on 7th May that will dent Labour’s dominance in Northern England.

So far the pundits suggested UKIP were in contention in Rotherham, Heywood and Grimsby. Labour responded by running major campaigns in the seats, hoping to thwart UKIP plans. However, there are now believed to be up to five other seats in contention, but they are not receiving support from Labour HQ as it’s unaware of the risk."

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/04/20/working-class-voters-eyeing-ukip-as-polling-tips-surprise-northern-england-wins/

We have heard this before. Rotherham...given all the shit storm that has gone on, first chance they had to kick Labour out (elected plod), what did they do, elected them again.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Nicola Sturgeon seems to have become increasingly arrogant about her parties ability to dictate to rUK after the GE. Surely this will be a major turn off for English DK voters and will sure up the Tory vote south of the border. That a Scottish Party could hold England to ransom is an anathema to English voters

She, the SNP, has no right to consider at all those English only issues which are devolved to Scotland. What right has Sturgeon to vote on the English NHS?
  • Options
    taffys said:

They are, in effect slaves to big companies, central government and rich foreign rent seekers. And, unless something is done, they always will be.

But it is something

Until Central Government (and all its extended services and departments) are willing to move out of London, this isn't going to change regardless of who is in power.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

That reads to me like UKIP not doing as well as they hoped in Rotherham, Heywood and Grimsby.
  • Options
    Ah well Softly She Treads didn't make it but fantastic tip from @SunnyJim on Loukhaar. Thanks that man.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

Some mere mortals and myself might find it a wee bit tricky to discern your drunken or sober or OFFICIAL predictions from each other.

Is there a patent PB device that is able to detect the political drivel (Patent Nigel Farage) from the searingly precise Sean Thomas offerings ?

Er, yes. I say "This is my Official Tom Knox (or, of late S K Tremayne) Prediction for Blah de Blah"

Really. That's what I do, so as to separate my considered view from what I readily confess are a lot of drunken burblings, in the main.
    Excellent.

Might I suggest you append your unofficial drunken/sober "burblings" accordingly. We wouldn't wish the unwary or PB newcomers to mistake such ravings as some variety of Rogerdamus-lite musings.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2015
    ''The crazy thing is that if Milliband crashes the Economy, they will be some of the first to be out of work.''

Maybe - but many are prepared to take the risk ed will crash the property market and they will keep their job.

Property prices and rents are so high that young workers cannot envisage a day when they will ever be well off. Not ever. Not when they are 60. So there is no reason to vote tory.

We're not talking about barristas here. We're talking about well educated kids from nice middle class families with degrees in law and business.

• Options
    Maybe David Cameron needed his 2015 'quattro' moment and it looks like the SNP may have fired his cylinders. He was very forceful this pm and has committed today to an annual review of whether or not RUK is getting as fair a deal as Scotland
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    kjohnw said:

It's almost as if they are trying to engineer (or at least ensure) a situation where they hold the balance of power or something. She's Machiavellian, that one.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

A full English is excellent value .... especially if you're not paying. :smiley:

I hope no animals died to satisfy your morning calorific intake. And free range eggs of course.

I made the most wonderful breakfast ever on Saturday. It was unbelievably scrumptious, and without anything that suffered.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015
    Doing a quick roundup of yougov&ICM.
    I see that if you simply apply the error from the last 2010 yougov on today's 2010 voters yougov survey then that should be LAB 33, CON 31, LD 6, IF the 2010 error has not been corrected, however size does not equal accuracy.

As for ICM, the last poll was an outlier, everyone could see that, so it's reversion to mean.

However it is remarkable to see that the Tory loses to UKIP have been exactly matched by 2010 LD&LAB, but even if the Tories get all the 2010 CON who say D/K they would still be at 33%.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2015

SeanT said:

Which part of that is meant to be interesting?
    Lol. Like. :)
  • Options

What makes some Labour seats potentially interesting is the very low turnout.

10,500 votes might well see UKIP take Grimsby, whereas it wouldn't bring them close to winning Thanet South.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Because the whole UK economy is based on the property market. If it crashed, and millions fell into negative equity, we'd have a massive recession, indeed possibly a depression, as consumer confidence collapsed and spending stopped overnight.

Was that too hard to work out?

That depends on how you view it. When is the best time to pull the plug on any Ponzi scheme? There is a good argument that the SE property market needs killed sooner rather than later. Of course it is unlikely to happen due to the short term political consequences.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

That reads to me like UKIP not doing as well as they hoped in Rotherham, Heywood and Grimsby.
    There was a Labour private poll of Hull (?) tweeted by a journalist the other day that seemed to show UKIP in contention. That sort of supports the article.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552

kjohnw said:

She, the SNP, has no right to consider at all those English only issues which are devolved to Scotland. What right has Sturgeon to vote on the English NHS?
    Scotland decided to lead the UK not leave.
    Suck it up sonny.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

What makes some Labour seats potentially interesting is the very low turnout.

10,500 votes might well see UKIP take Grimsby, whereas it wouldn't bring them close to winning Thanet South.
    Anecdotal: My tour of Rother Valley revealed not a single Labour or UKIP sign up. Not one.

Plenty of Tory signs up in Dore and Totley (Hallam), a few more diamonds but not enough for Lib Dem comfort...

Hallam turnout to be higher than Rother Valley ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    edited April 2015
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It is bonkers from a UK perspective, less bonkers when you think of London as another world city competing with NYC, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo. Those cities have fairly similar prices.

And let's see if London property pricing survives a Miliband government. I know many would love to see it crash, but if it does the crash will then extend to the rest of the UK. which will be less funny for the London-haters.
    Why would that be less funny, the whole UK housing market is just pure overvalued bollocks.
    Because the whole UK economy is based on the property market. If it crashed, and millions fell into negative equity, we'd have a massive recession, indeed possibly a depression, as consumer confidence collapsed and spending stopped overnight.

We need to rebase house prices in this country so they become more affordable for ordinary people. It will cause a lot of pain or people who over-borrowed (like me) but the long term future would be much brighter if a couple both earning the average wage could afford a house/flat without requiring more than a 4x earning multiplier.

I find it absolutely insane that the value of my two-bed in Shepherds bush has gone up by 60% in two years.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Some remarkably stupid comments on pb today. I'm fecking off til the average pb IQ level rises to the pleasant Spring temperatures outside (22).

Are the two events interrelated ? :smile:

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Sean_F said:

currystar said:

In fact, only 2% above their 2010 vote share, in Great Britain. But, under FPTP, standing still is fine if your opponent falls back.
    The point is that the Lib Dems are down around 15% yet Labour are only up 3%
  • Options

There was a Labour private poll of Hull (?) tweeted by a journalist the other day that seemed to show UKIP in contention. That sort of supports the article.
    Wasn't the fieldwork for that Hull poll done over a 6 month period or something?

Also I presume Breitbart News UK is about as reputable and sound as its US cousin??

http://www.businessinsider.com/paul-krugman-bankruptcy-story-false-spreads-2013-3?IR=T#ixzz2NFkDWF4k
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Question from the audience.
    Where does the money to buy houses come from?

If everyone spends all their money to buy houses they wont have any left to buy anything else.
  • Options
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

We need to rebase house prices in this country so they become more affordable for ordinary people. It will cause a lot of pain or people who over-borrowed (like me) but the long term future would be much brighter if a couple both earning the average wage could afford a house/flat without requiring more than a 4x earning multiplier.

I find it absolutely insane that the value of my two-bed in Shepherds bush has gone up by 60% in two years.
    But how do you "rebase" house prices?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

I hope no animals died to satisfy your morning calorific intake. And free range eggs of course.

I made the most wonderful breakfast ever on Saturday. It was unbelievably scrumptious, and without anything that suffered.
    Sounds like Quorn at Breakfast - Disgusting. :confused:

• Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I think Al is of the "I wouldn't have started from here" persuasion.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

An economy based on asset inflation doesn't deliver wealth. The UK needs to reduce house prices over time and let inflation eat away at them.

Was that hard for you to work out ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I think you are spot on.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017

Dudley North
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Rother Valley
    Stoke on Trent South
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    Cannock Chase

Forgive me I don't know which are Labour at the moment but theyd be my guesses at UKIPs Northern chances
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,132
    Pulpstar said:
    Apparently, the Shetland part of O&S was too SNP leaning, so under the new boundary proposals Orkney & Edinburgh South will be created. This should allow one non SNP representative to be elected each parliament.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

*snip for length*

*snip for length*.

The imposition of price controls on a free market always (always!) has a raft of unintended and oftern unforseen consequences. Quality would probably be the first thing to go as builders fought to maintain margins.

[while i own a house, I'm not without sympathy given i have no idea how any of my kids will ever be able to buy a house unless we pop our clogs]
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited April 2015
    FYI - The SPIN 'gap' is down to 14 this afternoon. ICM seems to have moved the market...
  • Options
    isam said:

Dudley North
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Rother Valley
    Stoke on Trent South
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    Cannock Chase

Forgive me I don't know which are Labour at the moment but theyd be my guesses at UKIPs Northern chances
    most of those are in the Midlands
  • Options
    LestuhLestuh Posts: 50

That looked like a forgery to me - not least because of the polling supposedly carried out over 6 months.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Edinburgh North & Leith and Edinburgh South is my expectation.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    isam said:

Dudley North
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Rother Valley
    Stoke on Trent South
    Walsall North
    Walsall South
    West Bromwich West
    Wolverhampton NE
    Cannock Chase

Only one of those is in the North :p
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634
    PeterC said:

But how do you "rebase" house prices?

Increase supply, increase taxes on property investment, increase supply. Let the market adjust, introduce protections for people who are meeting their mortgage repayments on time but are in negative equity.
This discussion has been closed.