Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage the 13/8 betting favourite to “win” tonight’s Challe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage the 13/8 betting favourite to “win” tonight’s Challengers’ Debate

It is perhaps an indication of how tonight’s event is being regarded is that there is going to be very little polling. Survation are doing a survey for the Mirror and as far as I know at the moment that is it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    It's sad that Cameron isn't in the debate tonight. Should be there. Daft to step out.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ummm...

@LadPolitics: We're 30 minutes to kick-off. They've all warmed up and are ready to go. Bet here http://t.co/KLuaM5kO7m #BBCDebate http://t.co/rtkLLPKo9d
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Jonathan said:

It's sad that Cameron isn't in the debate tonight. Should be there. Daft to step out.

Another 7 way? Not for me. I think the balance of programmes has been quite reasonable and a good deal better than it might have been. It's just a shame that no-one's got much to say.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Jonathan said:

I wonder if the debates negotiations will be a repeat of the Alternative Vote referendum. The Conservatives performed very well in getting a tactical victory, but it ultimately proved a strategic mistake.
  • Options
    Here's hoping Leanne Wood goes for the Welsh language.
  • Options
    JEO said:

ultimately proved a strategic mistake.

No

AV is the worst electoral system ever devised by man. Winning that referendum was a National necessity, Country before Party, as always.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    Jonathan said:

I don't worry much about tonight. Turning down the head-to-head debate with Miliband would have been the best chance of a gamechanger. With the polls stuck, that's looking the biggest mistake. Debates like tonight are a snooze fest with too many voices saying nothing at all.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    Evening all.

Last chance to enter your predictions in the PB 2015 seat guessing game. Entries will close AFTER the debate tonight.

http://show.nojam.com/a2sq/add.php
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

AV is the worst electoral system ever devised by man. Winning that referendum was a National necessity, Country before Party, as always.
    Agreed. I'm now in favour of STV. Not so much because I'm a Ukip supporter, but because I don't think it's good for a regional party like the SNP to benefit unfairly from FPTP.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

It's not as good as multi-member single transferable vote, but I think it's a lot better than First Past the Post. A good electoral system should encourage you to vote for those most representing your own views, rather than encourage you to vote tactically for the least worst of the two leaders.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    I would love to see Farage go claws out for Ed. Rotherham, Janner, Mirror phone-hacking double-standards - whatever it takes to make Ed really, really lose it....

UKIP need to get Labour's contemptuous treatment of it heartlands into play.
  • Options
    JEO said:

I think it's a lot better than First Past the Post.

No

You are wrong.

But that's OK. Please read 3 years worth of back posts on this subject for more info...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That'd be a wowser

I would love to see Farage go claws out for Ed. Rotherham, Janner, Mirror phone-hacking double-standards - whatever it takes to make Ed really, really lose it....

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

Agreed. I'm now in favour of STV. Not so much because I'm a Ukip supporter, but because I don't think it's good for a regional party like the SNP to benefit unfairly from FPTP.
    Or like the Tories. They're a regional party too, to all intents and purposes, and benefit hugely from FPTP.
  • Options
    @jonwalker121: Sorry, I have to tweet this: New #starwars trailer https://t.co/wL71WEILnW http://t.co/pIMCFK9uXK
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    JEO said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

It's not as good as multi-member single transferable vote, but I think it's a lot better than First Past the Post. A good electoral system should encourage you to vote for those most representing your own views, rather than encourage you to vote tactically for the least worst of the two leaders.
    Except we vote for our local MP, not for the party leaders (unless you are (un?)lucky enough to live in their constituencies. That should be an important consideration, but sadly is not.

And I am against any system that gives more power to the parties.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Just spoken to fox jr in Norwich South. He reckons 60/40 in favour of Labour over greens in terms of window posters. Seen a single LD one and a single Tory one. No UKIP.

Fox poster survey verdict: Lab gain by a whisker.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    12-1 on Ed giving us reprise of "Hell Yes" which could prove to be his catchphrase gimmick,a bit like Brucie with "what do points make? Prizes".Hell Yes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

Or like the Tories. They're a regional party too, to all intents and purposes, and benefit hugely from FPTP.
    At least the Tories put up candidates in Scotland and get some votes. Perhaps the SNP should stand in England - by the sounds of it they may get a few votes.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges on Sky News is predicting a car crash for Ed.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    The lowering of expectations is in full flow. All Miliband has to do is step up to the podium without tripping over and he will have had an impressive night.

Doubt the others will gang up on him as others have forecast. More likely to take the usual 'progressive alliance' crap and gang up on our Nige.
  • Options
    Dear me - Jo Brand in the PEB on C4 - "the NHS won't last another 5yrs under them because they're planning EXTREME CUTS"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    tlg86 said:

That's surprising.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I hope if Miliband becomes PM he offers Dan Hodges a job.
  • Options

12-1 on Ed giving us reprise of "Hell Yes" which could prove to be his catchphrase gimmick,a bit like Brucie with "what do points make? Prizes".Hell Yes.

I thought "Hell yes" worth a quid; and also a couple on "Romanians". If Nigel doesn't say it then one of the others may bait him with it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    edited April 2015
    Interesting that in the profile on Ed Fraser Nelson said the thing about him is that he's a thoroughly decent person.

That's a very important thing in my opinion and quite a dividing line with Dave who I doubt many would say that about
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

That's surprising.
    It's like he's a caricature of himself. I don't things are going tremendously well for Labour, but nor do I think they are in a terrible position.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Dear me - Jo Brand in the PEB on C4 - "the NHS won't last another 5yrs under them because they're planning EXTREME CUTS"

5 years to save the NHS. It used to be 24 hours. Just shows what a Tory PM can do...
  • Options
    FPT:
    isam said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

As a sign of how divorced the pb commentariat are from the rest of the country, I was just talking with one of my more senior partners (very switched on, very broad hinterland beyond her job) and mentioned in passing that there was another debate tonight.

"Is there?", she said.

It doesn't count cos Dave refused to turn up!
    Don't say he was scared of defending his record though.. "scared" is on the PBPC naughty list regardless of it's context
    Sam, this forces me to repeat the question I asked earlier: is our deal still on?
    Didn't see the earlier question and I don't like deals like that really so I am forgetting about it. You say too much that annoys me to let go!
    That's sad. It was probably to the benefit of PB that we ignore each other ...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Looking at the stage Farage is on the far right and Miliband on the far left .....

Titter .... just saying .... :smile:
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    There's a Sun worm up for this debate

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/election-debate-challenger/
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    tlg86 said:

There's a Fayed/Prince Philip/MI6 gag in there somewhere if anyone has a bit more imagination than I currently possess.

Anyway, evening all. I won't be watching the debatette as I've got another 3 hours at the pleasure of First Great Western before I reach Penzance... whilst the newly-installed FGW wifi won't allow me to stream TV (the bandwidth is almost as thin as the business case for reprivatising East Coast) it should enable me to keep abreast of PB's objective commentary. It's almost as good as being there.

Wiltshire and Somerset are surprisingly pretty in early evening April sunshine. Hell, yes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

5 years to save the NHS. It used to be 24 hours. Just shows what a Tory PM can do...
    Dave and Nick interviews afterwards you reckon?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Welsh voice too annoying

Nige has a hair out of place!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    "Are you thinking what we're thinking"
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Farage's suit is too large
  • Options
    Leanne doing her primary school teacher voice again,
  • Options

And his hair needs a comb.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Or Farage is too small....
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Dair said:

There's a Sun worm up for this debate

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/election-debate-challenger/

Much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

too lairy? or too big?!!

He is the only one who audibly sounds like a normal English person, I would have thought that will be beg

An Aussie, A Scot, A Taff and Ed Miliband
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting that in the profile on Ed Fraser Nelson said the thing about him is that he's a thoroughly decent person.

That's a very important thing in my opinion and quite a dividing line with Dave who I doubt many would say that about

I know people who have met the Chancellor and say that he is a thoroughly decent person and an all around good man. He keeps his family out of politics, doesn't try and be something he is not by eating pasties or bacon sandwiches and apparently he does listen to outside ideas.
  • Options
    Green leader basically saying Caroline Lucas is Prime Minister..
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2015
    Buzzword Bingo- fracking mentioned already.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    Promising start. Could be gang up on the absent
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Fracking !! Kerching .... :smiley:

Half an upper for Mrs JackW
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Everyone will be play acting. They will all care care care and care again etc...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

Except we vote for our local MP, not for the party leaders (unless you are (un?)lucky enough to live in their constituencies. That should be an important consideration, but sadly is not.

My view exactly. Any system that tries to introduce 'fairness' for parties is simply handing them more power and we should be trying to find ways to decrease their power not increase it. I am all for trying to make the votes within constituencies fairer with transferable votes but not at the cost of giving more power to parties nor removing the constituency link.
  • Options
    Q1 should be a slam dunk for Farage
  • Options
    JackW said:

"Fully costed" too.
  • Options
    TykeTyke Posts: 18
    If you are drinking on 'Progressive' then you should be on he floor now.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    The BBC news channel has a worm on it from some undecided voters. So far not many highs or lows but it is early yet...
  • Options

JackW said:

"Fully costed" too.
    Money in the bank!
  • Options
    Better from Ed - A decent smile not a grin.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

My view exactly. Any system that tries to introduce 'fairness' for parties is simply handing them more power and we should be trying to find ways to decrease their power not increase it. I am all for trying to make the votes within constituencies fairer with transferable votes but not at the cost of giving more power to parties nor removing the constituency link.
    Somewhere on the way in order to do this you have to create constituencies. How fair to anyone are the constituency boundaries and the rules that create them. (Bearing in mind the basis is local govt which is a mess.)
  • Options
    Over/under on Ed mentioning Dave? 20,30,40 or more??
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Plato said:

I presume it was recorded before the Tories found the magic money tree around the back of #10 and promised £8bn extra.
  • Options
    Farage has much to gain by attacking Cameron, who can't answer back. Huge tactical error from Cameron.
  • Options
    UKIP hooligans in the house!
  • Options
    Farage got applause! Is this thing BBC-run or not?!
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Farage bombing on the worm
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    BenM said:

Farage bombing on the worm

Where are you seeing it?
  • Options
    Everyone but Nigel wants to reduce the deficit by increasing spending. Okay then. That makes a lot of sense. Honestly it is a joke, how can people take politicians seriously when one minute they say they want to cut the deficit and reduce the debt burden, but then in the very next sentence talk about increasing spending. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this.
  • Options
    Please stop saying "look".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Everyone but Nigel wants to reduce the deficit by increasing spending. Okay then. That makes a lot of sense. Honestly it is a joke, how can people take politicians seriously when one minute they say they want to cut the deficit and reduce the debt burden, but then in the very next sentence talk about increasing spending. Surely I can't be the only one to notice this.

Keynes showed why.
  • Options
    I think he caught that habit from Tony.
    Danny565 said:

Please stop saying "look".

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Boring !
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thought Farage had the best opening. Straight for the Blue Labour vote. Ms PC the worst.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Telegraph has a great cartoon on who the winner actually is

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03270/carousel_3270380b.jpg
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Aa predicted..five fleas fighting on the back of an Elephant..absolutely pathetic
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

Somewhere on the way in order to do this you have to create constituencies. How fair to anyone are the constituency boundaries and the rules that create them. (Bearing in mind the basis is local govt which is a mess.)
    I agree with you (please don't fall off a chair :-) ). I think there should be a complete overhaul of the boundaries as was proposed at the beginning of this Parliament or even more so. But it should be done with a weather eye to the principle of individual constituency representatives rather than party 'fairness'.
  • Options
    Wry smile from Sturgeon at Farage saying end Barnett formula. A few cheers from the audience.

Bennet just promised to not just end tuition fees, but also to cancel existing ones. Might get Fox jr's vote...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Surely they are talking about increasing spending only in select areas. It is perfectly possible to do that and reduce the deficit, but you will probably have to decrease spending elsewhere.

It's still disingenuous, though.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    It's strange that Miliband is arguing with Farage and not the others on this question.
  • Options
    Ed seems quite alive and engaging with the debate (rather than the staccato soundbites he threw out last time), but I fear his message just isn't clear/attractive enough.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,071
    MaxPB said:

TBF: there is an active Keynesian view - espoused by @Socrates among others - that claims that cutting the deficit is best achieved through growing the economy. And that growing the economy requires increased government spending.
  • Options
    Big applause and huge worm for Sturgeon attack on Cameron's absence.
  • Options
    Artist said:

It's strange that Miliband is arguing with Farage and not the others on this question.

It's because in his mind Farage is the closest thing to Cameron and that's who he'd really like to attack.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,903
    Well there's only one loser. What an arrogant clown Cameron is.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

AV works in Australia. It's better than any form of PR.

• Options
    Saltire said:

The BBC news channel has a worm on it from some undecided voters. So far not many highs or lows but it is early yet...

The worms should be ignored, for a multitude of reasons.
  • Options
    All Miliband is doing by slating Farage's economic plans as on a par with Cameron's is elevating Farage's plans as Cameron and Co are trusted more on the economy.
  • Options
    Can Ed please just take a bit of Nicola's backbone.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Five attacks on Cameron so far for not being there - in 17 minutes.

I did predict this would happen on here last week.
  • Options
    Arguing with other left wingers over Evil Tories isn't going to get EdM anywhere. I think he's wasting valuable airtime here.
    Danny565 said:

Ed seems quite alive and engaging with the debate (rather than the staccato soundbites he threw out last time), but I fear his message just isn't clear/attractive enough.

• Options
    First time the worm on the BBC moves is when Sturgeon attacks Cameron for not being there. Note no mention of Clegg. The Libdems are in danger if being entirely forgotten about....
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Plato said:

I presume it was recorded before the Tories found the magic money tree around the back of #10 and promised £8bn extra.
    It may just reflect realistic expectations: many Tory supporters may hope and expect that they are lying, because it's an unfunded deficit increasing last-minute (etc. etc.) pledge; many Tory opponents fear and expect they're lying because it's an unfunded desperate last minute pledge, and of course lying about the NHS is what the Tories do in election campaigns.

Something there for everyone.
  • Options
    BenM said:

MaxPB said:

Keynes showed why.
    Keynes said to run a surplus when the economy was growing so as to be able to run a deficit when the economy in recession.
  • Options
    Audience clapping at good old fashioned left wing attacks on austerity.
  • Options
    Good line from Sturgeon re "not a big enough difference between Ed and Dave" she is pretty good
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    What utter dross. Back to the cricket.
  • Options
    It does feel a bit more relaxed and genuine tonight. Seven is definitely too many for a decent debate.
  • Options
    Crikey. I'd vote for Bessie McYessie.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

JEO said:

No

I agree with you (please don't fall off a chair :-) ). I think there should be a complete overhaul of the boundaries as was proposed at the beginning of this Parliament or even more so. But it should be done with a weather eye to the principle of individual constituency representatives rather than party 'fairness'.
    What's "representative" about a constituency MP, when at the past two elections (and probably this one), the majority of voters didn't get one they voted for?
  • Options
    Did Ed just say "I want to break up the country"...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    BenM said:

MaxPB said:

Keynes showed why.
    No he didn't. Keynes categorically never supported increasing all spending all the time.

Keynes backed countercyclical spending which we have. The country is currently growing at out long term growth rate so we are in the boom part of our cycle, we should be saving for the next recession. Instead we're running a major deficit during a boom - Keynes would never have suggested increasing spending now.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Sturgeon more popular than Ed in London - so presumably a lot, lot, lot more popular in Scotland.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Did Ed just say "I want to break up the country"...

Yes. And Dimbleby is getting 'Natalie' and 'Nicola' mixed up...
  • Options
    BenM said:

MaxPB said:

Keynes showed why.
    No. He. Didn't.

This country is not going to magically grow at 2% above trend rate because of a bit of extra spending on benefits. There is no point in spending to increase economic capacity when we already such low productivity, it would just cause long term deflation or stagflation. Keynes works in a post-war setting where the economic base is very low and we need rapid expansion of infrastructure and services. In a steady state economy like ours it is just going to blow the budget for possibly 0.5% GDP growth because it will all get pissed away in benefits and welfare.

Question, do you honestly believe that the UK has the capacity to grow at 4-5% every year on a volume measure at market price, with nominal growth at 6-7%? I don't ever see that with our without fiscal stimulus. Keynes only works to reduce debt levels and the deficit when there is a low base. We don't have a low base. We have a very high base, some would say we are about to head into the end of the current cycle, I just hope the economy is well prepared enough to withstand another shock. We should at least go into a normal crisis with a small housing crash and services downturn. There is little else to strip away.
  • Options
    I don't think EdM is winning against Ms Sturgeon, at all. Ms Greenies has cornered him as well. I can see her picking up the lefty votes floating about.
    MikeL said:

Sturgeon more popular than Ed in London - so presumably a lot, lot, lot more popular in Scotland.

This discussion has been closed.