Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB lead up and Ed ratings boost in latest Ipsos-MORI phone

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,376
    A constituent reports that she had a Broxtowe poll with named candidates about 10 days ago, from a "company with 4 letters, APNR or something". As we've not seen this in public, it was presumably a private Tory poll (I'm not doing one, and I can't imagine any other party is). Possibly coincidentally, the Tory effort here seems to be slackening off - they're doing one canvass a day (to our three), in groups of 3-5 people, and have no further leaflet distribution planned, according to what I'm told by insiders. Do they think they've won and don't need to bother, or think they've lost and need to move resources to less marginal seats?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Anorak said:

taffys said:

''you will probably do better than a stockbroker's recommendation''

The Wall Street Journal used to use a monkey.

They delighted in the headline 'monkey beats stockpickers again...'

Perhaps the polling companies could sub-contract the monkey? Their accuracy might improve.
    I've not proof of this, but I suspect the polls are no more volatile than for any other recent election (say since 2001). Trouble is CON and LAB are so close together it magnifies every change.

LAB 35 / CON 33 --> LAB 34 / CON 35
    seems a lot more bouncy than
    LAB 41 / CON 31 --> LAB 40 / CON 33
    We also have a huge number of polls, particularly when you compare to the sites first general election in 2005. This means you would expect that the most extreme statistical outliers would be more extreme and the 2-sigma outliers will occur more frequently.

Cognitive bias does the rest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Artist said:
    Can't say I'm displeased with those internals.
    What be the Scottish sub sample ?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

Neil said:

"This statement is also necessary in order for it to be made clear what the role of the CPS is in making this decision – including in particular to emphasise that the CPS is in no sense deciding or implying that the allegations that have been made are established or that Lord Janner is guilty of any offence. "

But they are implying exactly that.
    "The CPS assessment of any case is thus not in any sense a finding of, or implication of, any guilt or criminal conduct. It is not a finding of fact, which can only be made by a court, but rather an assessment of what it might be possible to prove to a court"
    Yes, sure, I can read. And that reads like exactly what it is: a formal disclaimer which no-one will take any notice of.
    I think people are paying sufficient attention to all aspects of the DPP's announcement. My sympathy for the subject of the announcement is extremely limited.

• Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Is it me or are there no issues today to talk about? The debate, fair enough; the polls, but of course. There's Janner & David Nicholson (for COMPLETELY UNRELATED reasons), but policy-wise has it gone quiet?

What's next (apart from who won the debate) to motivate people to take an interest?

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2015

Presumably you are Joff Wild rather than Sophie Curtis or Latika Sharma?
    Wild? He was livid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Neil said:

I think people are paying sufficient attention to all aspects of the DPP's announcement. My sympathy for the subject of the announcement is extremely limited.

It has got nothing whatsoever to do with 'sympathy'. You have put your finger, unwittingly, on exactly what is wrong.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,237
    Scott_P said:

I cannot argue that, but I still cannot rid myself of the feeling that this election is very different from the usual UK GEs. Nobody is talking about it for starters. For other elections that I recall, people were generally motivated enough to talk about the election in the weeks running up to it but, to me, it almost feels like there is no election happening.

Someone pointed out today that the parties used to hold morning press conferences every day, which are missing this time round
    The last genuinely exciting election was 1992. All the rest have been dull - either because the result was obvious (1997, for instance) or the options ghastly (2005). 2010 was a bit more exciting, I suppose.

This one will be odd because a few hundred votes in a few constituencies could mean the difference between a Lab/SNP coalition and a Tory-dominated one. If for no other reason other than excitement it would be nice if the polls were wrong and we had a 1992 re-run. Otherwise we'll all vote on May 7 and not know the government for days.

• Options
    I made the Guardian today.

PB has some real movers and shakers.

Ahem.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Watching the cricket from the West Indies it's abundantly clear over the past few days that some of the cameramen have a liking for ladies in the crowd of a not too unpleasing disposition in the slim line bikini department. :smiley:

Goes for cold shower ....

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I wonder if UKIP might be thrown a curve ball on drownings in the med this evening.

IF I was Nigel I'd be rehearsing my answer on that one.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Ben Riley-Smith, Political Correspondent, Daily Telegraph

@benrileysmith
    Posted at 16:32

tweets:

Thirty voters walked out of Cameron's Leeds Q&A in total, hacks estimate. Approx 200 attended. Not great for 40min session.
  • Options

A constituent reports that she had a Broxtowe poll with named candidates about 10 days ago, from a "company with 4 letters, APNR or something". As we've not seen this in public, it was presumably a private Tory poll (I'm not doing one, and I can't imagine any other party is). Possibly coincidentally, the Tory effort here seems to be slackening off - they're doing one canvass a day (to our three), in groups of 3-5 people, and have no further leaflet distribution planned, according to what I'm told by insiders. Do they think they've won and don't need to bother, or think they've lost and need to move resources to less marginal seats?

Might be the Ashcroft marginals poll.

I know his national poll goes by the name of ANP.
  • Options

Presumably you are Joff Wild rather than Sophie Curtis or Latika Sharma?

Yep.

I rather like thinking of you as having Southam as a first name. It has a pleasingly 18th C air to it. The poet of the patent world!

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,196
    'So why do you support UKIP?' asks Tristram Hunt to a primary school pupil, 'to get all the foreigners out' comes the reply
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3041824/Primary-school-pupil-leaves-Labour-shadow-minister-gob-smacked-saying-supported-Ukip-foreigners-out.html
  • Options

I think we need to take that comment by Nick with quite a few pinches of salt! I'm quite certain that the Conservatives have plenty of resources to cover all the marginals (and indeed some very long-shots like NE Derbyshire which we were discussing a few days ago).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    edited April 2015

Pulpstar said:

Artist said:
    SNP: 58 (7%) unweight total -> 39 weighted (52% of VI) -> 35 (54% of VI) 10/10 to vote.

Scotland 123 unweighted -> 87 weighted -> 76 "total voting"

Con 19% / Lab 16%/ LD 4%/ Green 8% All VI

Con 20% / Lab 13%/ LD 4%/ Green 8% ((10/10 VI))

ZERO UKIP in Scotland (Which is actually good news for them)

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Artist said:
    SNP: 58 (7%) unweight total -> 39 weighted (52% of VI) -> 35 (54% of VI) 10/10 to vote.

Scotland 123 unweighted -> 87 weighted -> 76 "total voting"

Con 19% / Lab 16%/ LD 4%/ Green 8% All VI

Con 20% / Lab 13%/ LD 4%/ Green 8% ((10/10 VI))

ZERO UKIP in Scotland (Which is actually good news for them)

Cheers.

Con ahead of Lab in Scotland just like with ICM
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The DPP had to say something. I'm not sure what else it could have said in the circumstances. It couldn't just have hid behind the health ground, because everyone would deduce that the case must have been assessed as fairly decent, because otherwise the DPP would have said that there was insufficient evidence to proceed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

I assume, and I assume that you assume, that Anna looks in here a couple of times a day to see what you are up to. I therefore take it that this post is an act of psychological warfare.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I cannot argue that, but I still cannot rid myself of the feeling that this election is very different from the usual UK GEs. Nobody is talking about it for starters. For other elections that I recall, people were generally motivated enough to talk about the election in the weeks running up to it but, to me, it almost feels like there is no election happening.

Someone pointed out today that the parties used to hold morning press conferences every day, which are missing this time round
    True. I would guess that twitter has a lot to do with that.
  • Options
    3plumloot3plumloot Posts: 19

Labour 1/3 with the bookies provides your answer.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Artist said:
    Not bad for Con is it.

Con retain 81% of 2010 vote
    Lab retain 82% of 2010 vote

2010 LDs break Con 14, Lab 26 - ie Lab 12% advantage - 12% * 24 = 3

So just based on people who voted Con/Lab/LD in 2010 (and if past vote weighted), Con leads by 4 (ie 7-3=4).
  • Options
    I doubt CON are ahead of LAB in Scotland, but still if we take enough subsamples.......
  • Options

Broxtowe Conservatives are clearly going for a less is more strategy, somewhat similar to Labour economic policy - Less money for the taxpayer is more money for Ed Balls to squander.

Your local Tories also consider that bothering the electorate too often is rather vulgar and they should be left to spend more time with their recent Coalition tax cuts and manifesto reading.

:smile:

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,140

I do wonder if the polls will be very wrong. I wonder how many of the "I am voting UKIP" people will actually do so and if they do not then they might put their votes elsewhere. At present, none of the polls instil me with any confidence that they are anything like correct. The variations in leads seem to be almost random in size and direction.

It reminds me of the old method on how to pick stocks and shares - stick the FTSE-100 list to the back of a door and throw 3 darts at it, buy whatever stocks the darts hit and you will probably do better than a stockbroker's reccommendation

I'm on the record as saying I don't think that Scottish Labour will get as panned as the polls currently show: that on the day, a small but significant percentage of people will put their mark where they have always done. However a time goes on, I'm slowly losing confidence in that belief.

I'm not saying that SLab will not get panned. They will. It's just the scale of it I'm unsure of.

I also wonder if the pollsters are going to get England VI very wrong, in either direction. There just seem too many variables this time around for them to factor out. Either Labour or Conservatives could do much better than the polls currently show. I can even see 40% being possible for one or the other. That is the extent to which I trust the polls currently.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    JackW said:

Broxtowe Conservatives are clearly going for a less is more strategy, somewhat similar to Labour economic policy - Less money for the taxpayer is more money for Ed Balls to squander.

Your local Tories also consider that bothering the electorate too often is rather vulgar and they should be left to spend more time with their recent Coalition tax cuts and manifesto reading.

Such fun if Soubry pulls it off.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    taffys said:
    Except it is UKIP policy to accept immigrants already here - just be more selective as to the ones that come in in the future. Most violence at UKIP (and BNP/ EDL) meetings/ marches come from the Labour UAF and HNH organisations.

It is far more likely that violence against immigrants would occur if UKIP policies were NOT implemented,
  • Options
    Vote swapping is all the rage at the Guardian.

Reminds me of their hilarious attempts to sway the good people of Ohio
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,025
    Outrageous behaviour from Spreadex

Kingswood 25 Index UKIP 0-0.5

I phone up, put on hold for 3 mins.. "0.5-1.5" they say

wtf?

doubled the spread, trebled the price, on a one way market!

Obviously I asked to sell £1m for a laugh.. they said £20!

Ask to speak to manager "not allowed to put you through"

Phone customer services "Theyre all in meetings"

Filth
  • Options
    Re tonight's challengers debate I understand that it commences at 8.00 and continues to 9.30 at which point there is a 30 minute right of reply by the conservatives and lib-dems. Who will be doing the right of reply, who moderates it, and presumably the subsequent media narrative will include the right of reply to provide balance. In these circumstances I don't see any disadvantage by David Cameron not being there
  • Options

Neil said:

It has got nothing whatsoever to do with 'sympathy'. You have put your finger, unwittingly, on exactly what is wrong.
    I dont think you've made a good case for why leaving doubt about whether the complaints were credible or not would be a better option than making it clear that there was a case to answer but that he's managed to evade justice for just long enough to be unfit to face trial when the authorities finally got their act together.

• Options
    Still don't like the way MORI ask satisfaction - for DC & NC it's on their govt. job, for EM & NF it's on their political role as leader of their party.

27% of Tories are satisfied with EM's performance in that role. The other 73% didn't think hard enough about the question...
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Andrew said:

So, same thing again with Greville Janner - the police were told not to prosecute him in the 90s. This seem to be a recurring theme, we've heard it for three or four examples now.

Are MPs given blanket immunity to child abuse laws or something?

The James Bond image of our intelligence services being manned by suave stylish types bedding sophisticated women seems like it couldn't be further from the truth. The Woodsman or 8mm seem more appropriate films.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

JackW said:

Such fun if Soubry pulls it off.
    You absolute bounder Sir !!

I'm sure Ms Soubry will not remove any or all or her clothing in an attempt to woo the good people of Broxtowe.

And Nick Palmer certainly shouldn't go commando in the constituency if he values his deposit !!

• Options
    isam said:

wtf?

Filth

That's terrible. They should at least offer you some at 0.5, imo.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,480
    HYUFD said:

'So why do you support UKIP?' asks Tristram Hunt to a primary school pupil, 'to get all the foreigners out' comes the reply
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3041824/Primary-school-pupil-leaves-Labour-shadow-minister-gob-smacked-saying-supported-Ukip-foreigners-out.html

Man always was a fool.

Never, ever ask a small child a direct question unless you are really, really sure of the answer.

Can work for teenagers too. Never quite forgotten the time I was teaching the 1968 anti-war protests in Chicago to a group of sixth formers (all girls, I was the only male in the room) and asked what the mostly very religious people at home would have thought seeing a lot of drug-addled teenagers having sex on their TV screens while tuning in to get the latest from the Democratic Convention. I got the immediate (and perfectly serious) reply, 'Sad, sir, because they weren't getting any themselves.'

Taught me a valuable lesson...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    A not very interesting anecdote.

I had a meeting this afternoon with a financial adviser (who used to be a professional cricketer) aged mid 30's.

Nice man mentioned politics so I asked him who he'd be voting for? "Probably UKIP but possibly Conservative"

I was surprised.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ipsos Sample:

207 Private sector workers
    154 Public sector workers

42.6% of employees in public sector, when national figure is about 17-18%?

It makes me wonder why it is so easy to make contact by phone with this set of people.

The Southern England (excl. London) subsample implies massive swings to Lab from 2010.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,483
    edited April 2015
    RobD said:

Dair said:

So, Greville Janner: genuine dementia or saunders dementia?

I see Labour have suspended him. But if he really is so far gone how on earth is he a member in the first place? I know, I know ... :-D

Not fit to stand trial.

Fit to be a member of legislature of the United Kingdom.
    Don't get Sunil started!
    Started on what?? :open_mouth: :
  • Options
    Roger said:

A not very interesting anecdote.

I had a meeting this afternoon with a financial adviser (who used to be a professional cricketer) aged mid 30's.

Nice man mentioned politics so I asked him who he'd be voting for? "Probably UKIP but possibly Conservative"

I was surprised.

Why? I would not have said that 'being charming' and 'voting for a party not of the left' were mutually exclusive.

Indeed bearing in mind the rudeness and arrogance of many on the left (Polly Toynbee, Laura Powell, Ed Balls, Gordon Brown) anyone might be forgiven for thinking it was the other way around.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I cannot believe that they have given up either because of being certain of either victory or defeat. Broxtowe will be too close to be unaffected by some national event. The oracle that is Jacks ARSE says TCTC!

I suspect just a change of tactics. Play to the whistle!
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    The Guardian will be increasing its cover price from Saturday, 18 April 2015.

The new cover price for the Guardian will be as follows:

Saturday (from Saturday 18 April):

UK: £2.70 (up 20p from £2.50)
    Eire: €2.90 (up £0.20 from €2.70)
    Channel Islands: £3.10 (up £0.20 from £2.90)

Monday to Friday (from Monday 20 April):

UK: £1.80 (up £0.20 from £1.60)
    Eire: €2.00 (up €0.20 from €1.80)
    Channel Islands: £2.20 (up £0.20 from £2.00)

Please note that The Observer will not be increasing its cover price.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

It makes me wonder why it is so easy to make contact by phone with this set of people.

The Southern England (excl. London) subsample implies massive swings to Lab from 2010.

How about large percentage of school teachers and other workers still on holiday?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

RobD said:

Dair said:

I see Labour have suspended him. But if he really is so far gone how on earth is he a member in the first place? I know, I know ... :-D

Not fit to stand trial.

Don't get Sunil started!
    The size of our most noble second chamber ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I also wonder if the pollsters are going to get England VI very wrong, in either direction. There just seem too many variables this time around for them to factor out. Either Labour or Conservatives could do much better than the polls currently show. I can even see 40% being possible for one or the other. That is the extent to which I trust the polls currently.

It can be easy to think that the number of votes in play in this election is much higher than usual because of the collapse of the Lib Dems, the rise of UKIP, the onward March of the SNP, and the Green surge. However, if one compares the vote retention figures for LibLabCon in the latest ICM with the ICM at about this time in the last election campaign (admittedly in the midst of the Cleggasm), then the numbers are (with last election in brackets) [and pre-Cleggasm in square brackets]:

Con 70% (69%) [75%]
    Lab 64% (50%) [56%]
    LD 25% (66%) [54%]

Total number of respondents loyal to 2010 vote = 314 (332) [340]

Most people are still going to vote the same way they have always voted, and a lot of what look like dramatic changes will cancel out to have a small net effect, because this election currently lacks a lightning rod (despite the number of kites flown).
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Seems a lot. For that with addition of just 3p you can get an 18 pack of Asda own brand, which would last a lot longer.

(OK, now I should come clean - in another sense - and admit not only do I read the Guardian, but I got my current job through an advert on its website.)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    FalseFlag said:

Andrew said:

So, same thing again with Greville Janner - the police were told not to prosecute him in the 90s. This seem to be a recurring theme, we've heard it for three or four examples now.

The James Bond image of our intelligence services being manned by suave stylish types bedding sophisticated women seems like it couldn't be further from the truth. The Woodsman or 8mm seem more appropriate films.
    Surely the FSB isn't as bad as that.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Not fit to stand trial.

Don't get Sunil started!
    The size of our most noble second chamber ;)
    Ah, so you mean the one which is the only Upper Chamber in the world larger than its respective Lower Chamber?

:lol:
  • Options
    Roger Most cricketers and financiers are Tories, so not exactly that surprising, Boycott's UKIP
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

In my experience, your opponent is usually working harder than you realise.

I wouldn't argue you're not the favourite in this seat. I just think the Conservatives may be putting in more effort than you think.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

I dont think you've made a good case for why leaving doubt about whether the complaints were credible or not would be a better option than making it clear that there was a case to answer but that he's managed to evade justice for just long enough to be unfit to face trial when the authorities finally got their act together.

He is innocent until proven guilty. Therefore he deserves the same protection as any other person innocent in law, no matter how much the Twitter mob are pursuing him. If no charges are to be brought, whatever the reason, then the CPS should make no comment on the evidence, which he has no opportunity to rebut.

In other words, the statement should read "The CPS has decided not to proceed with any charges against Lord Janner". End of statement. A footnote could direct the curious to a web page which details the tests which the CPS use when making such decisions.

BTW I see you are prejudging his guilt with 'evade justice' phrase. QED.
  • Options

isam said:

wtf?

Filth

Yeah exactly.. a bit at the advertised price and the rest higher is standard

The liberty is, it was obvious I was going to buy as you cant sell at 0, so why not be 0-1.5 in the first place?

You don't have to be a hypocritical coward to be a bookmaker.. but it helps

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

At those numbers they would have to poll 50%+ more respondents to get the subsamples to match ?
  • Options
    ''Ipsos Sample:''

Another superb nugget of analysis, Chestnut.

Keep 'em coming!!!
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

Andrew said:

Touchy.
  • Options
    ydeoethur Yes, classic, I think the usual anecdote is never work with children or animals
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

Surgetastic...

The Conservatives are “coming for the SNP and Labour” by focusing on voters who are repelled by Scotland’s “soggy, centre-Left consensus”, Ruth Davidson has said as she unveiled an election manifesto that promised to put taxpayers first.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11542364/Scottish-Tories-are-coming-for-the-SNP-and-Labour.html

I like Ruth. Very feisty; might give Dave a bit of backbone.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,703
    Sean_F said:

I wouldn't argue you're not the favourite in this seat. I just think the Conservatives may be putting in more effort than you think.
    I lost £200 on my very first political bet having not yet learnt that lesson.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Thanks to Labour that will go on his record and he will be made to attend additional citizenship classes.
  • Options

It sounds like it's all over, one way or the other. You should probably go and help out in Ashfield instead.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydeoethur Yes, classic, I think the usual anecdote is never work with children or animals

Not as though I have a lot of choice in the matter...but Hunt does. He could ask to be made something more on his intellectual level, such as minister for sewers, so he does not get skewered like this.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    ydoethur said:

marke09 said:

Seems a lot. For that with addition of just 3p you can get an 18 pack of Asda own brand, which would last a lot longer.

(OK, now I should come clean - in another sense - and admit not only do I read the Guardian, but I got my current job through an advert on its website.)
    £1,80 for a daily paper which you can largely read online??

No wonder they're going bust.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

FalseFlag said:

Andrew said:

The Federation of Small Businesses??
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_of_Small_Businesses

:):):)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

wtf?

Filth

Yeah exactly.. a bit at the advertised price and the rest higher is standard

The liberty is, it was obvious I was going to buy as you cant sell at 0, so why not be 0-1.5 in the first place?

You don't have to be a hypocritical coward to be a bookmaker.. but it helps

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/you-dont-have-to-be-hypocritical-coward.html
    Any particular intel on Kingswood, btw? Looks a very big ask for a UKIP 2nd to me
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,734
    FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks to Labour that will go on his record and he will be made to attend additional citizenship classes.
    Even primary school kids understand UKIP's policies.
  • Options

But don't forget, as the great Soviet joke of the 1970s goes:

'Q: What's more useful - a TV or a newspaper?

A: A newspaper. You can't wipe your ass with a TV.'
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TGOHF said:

chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

At those numbers they would have to poll 50%+ more respondents to get the subsamples to match ?
    Given it is now 5.15, it makes me think we would be better asking 100 people to 'name the winner of the next general election'.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

That shows why the combined Con/UKIP score was so much lower than with other pollsters.
  • Options
    FalseFlag Indeed, probably la 2 day workshop led by Harriet and Polly

ydeothur Indeed
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

'according to what I'm told by insiders.'

They must be having some fun - "What shall we tell Palmer today?"
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    ydoethur said:

chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

How about large percentage of school teachers and other workers still on holiday?
    Could be. Schools are still off in Hampshire.

• Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Your reference to him "evading justice" is assuming what would need to be proved - beyond reasonable doubt - at a trial. It is not him who has done anything to avoid a trial. It is the authorities who have failed in their duties. As there can now be no trial, he is an innocent man.

The CPS's failure is a mistake on lots of levels: for Lord Janner and his family because he has not had a chance to clear himself of appalling allegations, given that he mantained his innocence and for those who have made the allegations who have been denied the benefits of a competent justice system.

To my mind, having a well-funded and effective judicial system is at least as important as the NHS. Indeed, the justice system is an essential part of what the state should do - and do well. And yet it is on no-one's priority list. For the state to fail in defence, policing, justice, prisons is a huge, huge failing - and far far more important than some of the trivialities being talked about in this election.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2015

Neil said:

Neil said:

He is innocent until proven guilty. Therefore he deserves the same protection as any other person innocent in law, no matter how much the Twitter mob are pursuing him. If no charges are to be brought, whatever the reason, then the CPS should make no comment on the evidence, which he has no opportunity to rebut.

In other words, the statement should read "The CPS has decided not to proceed with any charges against Lord Janner". End of statement. A footnote could direct the curious to a web page which details the tests which the CPS use when making such decisions.

BTW I see you are prejudging his guilt with 'evade justice' phrase. QED.

Have you read this?

Sir Clive condemns decision not to prosecute suspected serial sex offender

• Options

ydoethur said:

marke09 said:

£1.80 for a paper which is not worth reading at all.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    HYUFD said:

I would imagine social services have already taken the child in to custody. Meanwhile child abusers up and down the country go unpunished.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Vote swapping is all the rage at the Guardian.

Reminds me of their hilarious attempts to sway the good people of Ohio

Perhaps we should organise a letter writing campaign from the Guardian to the top 30 con held Labour targets?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Ipsos Sample:

Yes but they've been weighted to 71 public and 267 private. Not ideal to be making such dramatic weightings, though.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    marke09 said:

I should hope not - the Observer increased its cover price by 20p in Sept '14...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Your reference to him "evading justice" is assuming what would need to be proved - beyond reasonable doubt - at a trial. It is not him who has done anything to avoid a trial. It is the authorities who have failed in their duties. As there can now be no trial, he is an innocent man.

The CPS's failure is a mistake on lots of levels: for Lord Janner and his family because he has not had a chance to clear himself of appalling allegations, given that he mantained his innocence and for those who have made the allegations who have been denied the benefits of a competent justice system.

To my mind, having a well-funded and effective judicial system is at least as important as the NHS. Indeed, the justice system is an essential part of what the state should do - and do well. And yet it is on no-one's priority list. For the state to fail in defence, policing, justice, prisons is a huge, huge failing - and far far more important than some of the trivialities being talked about in this election.
    http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/02/child-abuse-leicestershire#S6CV0200P0_19911202_HOC_153
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It is not him who has done anything to avoid a trial.

He actually seems to have played a very active role in avoiding prosecution for these alleged crimes over the years.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I did enjoy some of the Ohio responses: "Each email someone gets from some arrogant Brit telling us why to NOT vote for George Bush is going to backfire, you stupid, yellow-toothed pansies ... I don't give a rat's ass if our election is going to have an effect on your worthless little life. I really don't. If you want to have a meaningful election in your crappy little island full of shitty food and yellow teeth, then maybe you should try not to sell your sovereignty out to Brussels and Berlin, dipshit. Oh, yeah - and brush your goddamned teeth, you filthy animals."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

Surgetastic...

The Conservatives are “coming for the SNP and Labour” by focusing on voters who are repelled by Scotland’s “soggy, centre-Left consensus”, Ruth Davidson has said as she unveiled an election manifesto that promised to put taxpayers first.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11542364/Scottish-Tories-are-coming-for-the-SNP-and-Labour.html

soggy centre-left? I thought the SNP were raving marxists taking the country to a commie-facist state.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited April 2015
    FalseFlag said:

HYUFD said:

If he's lucky! More likely Social Services will take him into care and put him up for adoption with a more politically correct couple.

Why would ANYONE on this website vote for a party that does that sort of thing to 'hard working families', 'squeezed middle class" or whatever.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,140

It can be easy to think that the number of votes in play in this election is much higher than usual because of the collapse of the Lib Dems, the rise of UKIP, the onward March of the SNP, and the Green surge. However, if one compares the vote retention figures for LibLabCon in the latest ICM with the ICM at about this time in the last election campaign (admittedly in the midst of the Cleggasm), then the numbers are (with last election in brackets) [and pre-Cleggasm in square brackets]:

Con 70% (69%) [75%]
    Lab 64% (50%) [56%]
    LD 25% (66%) [54%]

Total number of respondents loyal to 2010 vote = 314 (332) [340]

Most people are still going to vote the same way they have always voted, and a lot of what look like dramatic changes will cancel out to have a small net effect, because this election currently lacks a lightning rod (despite the number of kites flown).
    All good points. But I still cannot help but feel that something's out of sorts with the VI. Although you're probably right, aside from perhaps the SNP factor.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

marke09 said:

£1.80 for a paper which is not worth reading at all.

I think it's one of the papers you can get free in Waitrose, the Observer certainly is.

• Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/02/child-abuse-leicestershire#S6CV0200P0_19911202_HOC_153
    Or perhaps this is rather more disturbing:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/03/contempt-of-court#S6CV0200P0_19911203_HOC_423

I fully accept Greville Janner is innocent until proven guilty. What I would very much like to know is why he was not prosecuted 25 years ago given that there was a pretty damning allegation made against him which prima facie required full investigation by the police, so that this could be clearly established either way. That is something I hope there will be a formal enquiry to establish.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

He actually seems to have played a very active role in avoiding prosecution for these alleged crimes over the years.
    According to the CPS's own statement, they said that the reasons no trials were held on two previous occasions was because of their and the police's mistakes.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I've just done another online Yougov poll. Party support, certainty to vote, and a few other things including who do I think will win the "also-rans" debate (I voted for Nicola).

Certainty to vote is 9.99 but I put down 10. Who would I be embarrassed to vote for in the questions. I put down Tories, Green, Labour and Ukip for that last one but I shall vote Ukip - it's a safe Labour seat and Marie Rimmer will win easily, so it's a protest.

Shoot 10% of all politicians, bankers and media people. It won't do any good as we'll probably shoot the best 10%.
  • Options
    Today the headteacher said that the unnamed boy's comments were 'not representative of the school'.

Peak err something.
  • Options
    Sebastian Payne (@SebastianEPayne)
    April 16
    WATCH: #MiniElection interview with @Nigel_Farage on South Thanet, @DouglasCarswell, tactical voting & HIV comments youtube.com/watch?v=jQMCdf…
  • Options
    Seems this little chap has become the hero of the Daily Mail comments !

"Even primary school children speak more sense than the Labour party's sharpest tools !"
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

According to the CPS's own statement, they said that the reasons no trials were held on two previous occasions was because of their and the police's mistakes.

I suspect that the answers he gave when interviewed also played a role.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

I doubt CON are ahead of LAB in Scotland, but still if we take enough subsamples.......

We should be getting the next Survation/DR for Scotland in the next few days. My gut feeling is that SNP will be over 50% for both GE2015 and Holyrood 2016. The Tories will be around 15% and SLAB will be less than 25%. Unfortunately for SLAB I think there's a soft chunk of their support which may yet leak away.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    PeterC said:

I don't know whether you live in a marginal seat or not, Beverley, but for those who live in the 500+ seats which have little or no prospect of changing hands, there is not election worth the name! Perhaps it was ever thus, but the focus on the tiny minority of floating voters in marginal seats is becoming ever more intense, I find.

No, this seat is not marginal for the GE but it is for local elections where one or two seats changing hands will change the council control. The next constituency over is Cheadle and that one is very marginal

It has been so long since an election result was not clear cut that I think it all feels a bit strange. Even 2010 was clear that Labour were in real trouble. This time nobody seems to have a clue what is going on.

I guess it is all rather exciting.
    Scott_P said:

I wonder why they have stopped that?

For myself, apathy plays a large part. I stopped listening to most of the politics shows years back. Question Time and Any Questions slid off my schedule and then Today was sacrificed. Nowadays I have the occasional dose of PM at 5 o'clock but that is it. I am fed up listening to bland charlatans. I suspect that many other people are fed up for the same reason.
  • Options
    Almost disappointed this didn't happen: "Consider this: stay out of American electoral politics. Unless you would like a company of US Navy Seals - Republican to a man - to descend upon the offices of the Guardian, bag the lot of you, and transport you to Guantanamo Bay, where you can share quarters with some lonely Taliban shepherd boys.
    United States"
This discussion has been closed.