Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this YouGov polling is correct stopping the SNP in Scotl

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If this YouGov polling is correct stopping the SNP in Scotland could lead to tactical voting on a scale never seen before

I find some of the above numbers quite startling and a huge reminder of the massive political divide that exists now in Scotland. That such large proportion of voters indicate that they could make such a tactical switch is totally unprecedented.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Labour must win
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Note the words following "if" in each of those findings. Few voters are that well-informed about the dynamics in their own constituencies, a task made harder by the upheavals in Scottish politics since the last UK general election.

If the SNP are getting swings before tactical voting of 19% in No-friendly areas and 24% in Yes-friendly areas as Lord Ashcroft's constituency polling found, tactical voting is only going to relevant to a couple of seats.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    I just find the idea of Labour voters voting for a coalition party candidate to keep a Labour-friendly SNP candidate out to be totally bonkers.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    SNP winning a seat instead of the Conservatives helps Labour.

SNP winning a seat instead of Labour helps the Conservatives.

I just don't see tactical voting happening on any great scale.
  • Options
    On all matters relating to Scotch politics I'm reminded of Kissinger's purported quote about academic disputes: that they're as bitter as they are because the stakes are so small.

LD, LAB and SNP are all campaigning of a platform of milking English private sector taxpayers and homeowners to fund Scottish social and economic failure.

The practical outcome will be little different regardless.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Not a good deal for the Tories so if I was up there I'd stick with the blues - SNP are total crap so head and shoulders above Labour anyway. :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    I'mm thinking of a slight issue with Channel 4's tactical question...

Presumably the Conservatives will be from places like Edinburgh, Stirling where there are enough of them to make it appear as if they have half a shot... (We know they don't but 'ahead of the SNP here' or close to kind of makes it appear you do.

So you are then asking them what would they do in Coatbridge or Glasgow NE where the perceived chance for the Conservatives is absolutely zero...
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Alistair said:
    Who were they polling, 'Wings' in Bath?

It takes a special kind of a dimwit in an English constituency to vote for a candidate who wants to pick their pockets and send cash over the border to Northern Britain.
  • Options

Alistair said:

It takes a special kind of a dimwit in an English constituency to vote for a candidate who wants to pick their pockets and send cash over the border to Northern Britain.
    That'll be Jim Murphy.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Perfectly clear that the MSM -especially the BBC-are working very hard to help tactical voting against the SNP.

No doubt in the style of MacPherson at the Treasury, all bets are off, in order to prevent the "SNP threat" as the BBC subtitle it, destabilising the British State.

No doubt it will stop Salmond winning in Gordon, then again, perhaps not :-)

Also today's campaign, referred to as Labour's attack on the SNP "black hole" as the BBC neutrally portray it, seems to ignore the agreed terms of the Smith Commission;

The Smith Report -which all parties have signed up to quite clearly states

“The Barnett Formula will continue to be used to determine the remaining block grant. New rules to define how it will be adjusted at the point when powers are transferred and thereafter will be agreed by the Scottish and UK Governments and put in place prior to the powers coming into force. These rules will ensure that neither the Scottish nor UK Governments will lose or gain financially from the act of transferring a power.”

The last sentence seems to me to illuminate the black hole in Labour's thinking whatever the economic truth turns out to be.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Alistair said:

They're probably wanting to vote SNP so that Scotland goes independent and the English stop sending cash over the border to Northern Britain.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    YouGove is getting Election Sickness, ie, a preponderance to believe in their own preferences.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JPJ2 said:

Also today's campaign, referred to as Labour's attack on the SNP "black hole" as the BBC neutrally portray it, seems to ignore the agreed terms of the Smith Commission

That's because the Smith Commission does not apply.

The SNP want FFA, which is not what the Smith Commission recommends. If you get FFA, you don't get Smith.

And with FFA, the numbers are £7.6bn short
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015
    In case you missed it, Hillary to announce that she will become the next president of the USA on Sunday:
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/10/exclusive-hillary-clinton-to-launch-presidential-campaign-sunday-en-route-to-iowa-source

Upstages Rubio's announcement for trying to be defeated by Hillary on Monday.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

Presumably the Conservatives will be from places like Edinburgh, Stirling where there are enough of them to make it appear as if they have half a shot... (We know they don't but 'ahead of the SNP here' or close to kind of makes it appear you do.

So you are then asking them what would they do in Coatbridge or Glasgow NE where the perceived chance for the Conservatives is absolutely zero...

Yes, the tactical vote needs to be crystal clear.

Two potential Lab holds against the tide (due to TV) might be the very similar Dunbartonshire West [13/8] & Motherwell & Wishaw [7/4]. But I'm not investing even at these odds.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

JPJ2 said:

Also today's campaign, referred to as Labour's attack on the SNP "black hole" as the BBC neutrally portray it, seems to ignore the agreed terms of the Smith Commission

That's because the Smith Commission does not apply.

The SNP want FFA, which is not what the Smith Commission recommends. If you get FFA, you don't get Smith.

And with FFA, the numbers are £7.6bn short

Alistair said:

Well one of this bits of analysis must be wrong.
  • Options
    Artist said:
    Leader issue - Sturgeon vs Bennett.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

YouGove is getting Election Sickness, ie, a preponderance to believe in their own preferences.

YouGove? Won't be popular with the NUT.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    I may be a tory in Scotland but it appears that I am not as lonely as I thought in prioritising the Union.

And @SandyRentool does not appear to be recognising that SLAB is fighting for its very existence. If they ever want to rule in Holyrood again they cannot let the SNP whitewash the Westminster Seats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Well one of this bits of analysis must be wrong.

Actually that point was raised by the Sun journalist at Ed's presser.

Having presented the "black hole", he then said Labour wouldn't allow it...
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    If the SNP get 50 seats in Scotland and over 50% of the vote.
    Surely this would be a mandate for another referendum and leaving the UK.
    I for one can not wait for them to go.

Can not believe why so many on here were so worried last September.

Begone
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    JPJ2 said:

Perfectly clear that the MSM -especially the BBC-are working very hard to help tactical voting against the SNP.

No doubt in the style of MacPherson at the Treasury, all bets are off, in order to prevent the "SNP threat" as the BBC subtitle it, destabilising the British State.

Also today's campaign, referred to as Labour's attack on the SNP "black hole" as the BBC neutrally portray it, seems to ignore the agreed terms of the Smith Commission;

“The Barnett Formula will continue to be used to determine the remaining block grant. New rules to define how it will be adjusted at the point when powers are transferred and thereafter will be agreed by the Scottish and UK Governments and put in place prior to the powers coming into force. These rules will ensure that neither the Scottish nor UK Governments will lose or gain financially from the act of transferring a power.”

The last sentence seems to me to illuminate the black hole in Labour's thinking whatever the economic truth turns out to be.

But the SNP want full fiscal autonomy, which goes beyond the Smith Commission. At least they did, until the collapse of the oil price resulted in the aforementioned 'black hole'. Clearly they can't be seen to rein back from their demands as this might expose them as being opportunists. Perish the thought.

They are therefore caught between a rock and a black hole. Fortunately for them, most of their support is now so swivel-eyed, they can't tell the difference. So that's alright then.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

I agree with that. A whitewash this year may concentrate minds for the Holyrood elections in 2016, though.

Particularly as anyone voting tactically in the constituency can cast their true preference for the regional top-up list.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Alistair said:

Or a special kind of dimwit not to see that those polled might have hypothesised that an SNP fielding candidates in E&W would have fine-tuned its policies just a tiny bit?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Telegraph Politics (@TelePolitics)
    10/04/2015 16:55
    Labour candidate: People who fly England flags are 'simpletons and casual racists' tgr.ph/1CzH8YC
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Kinga said:

But the SNP want full fiscal autonomy, which goes beyond the Smith Commission. At least they did, until the collapse of the oil price resulted in the aforementioned 'black hole'. Clearly they can't be seen to rein back from their demands as this might expose them as being opportunists. Perish the thought.

It would be very Interesting if there is any form of Tory administration next month, and they offered a free vote on FFA for Scotland
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    < class="Quote" rel="Tissue_Price">
    MikeK said:

YouGove? Won't be popular with the NUT.
    :D

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Ishmael_X said:

Alistair said:

Or a special kind of dimwit not to see that those polled might have hypothesised that an SNP fielding candidates in E&W would have fine-tuned its policies just a tiny bit?
    I don't think anyone polled would be as clever as you.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

Labour candidate: People who fly England flags are 'simpletons and casual racists' tgr.ph/1CzH8YC

Beat me to it.

I think Nige's comment says it all about Labour. IF Labour win the election, UKIP will be in a very very strong position to hoover up an awful lot of working class northern votes when they realise that Labour despises everything they believe in.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/586553362100973568
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    antifrank said:

Note the words following "if" in each of those findings. Few voters are that well-informed about the dynamics in their own constituencies, a task made harder by the upheavals in Scottish politics since the last UK general election.

If the SNP are getting swings before tactical voting of 19% in No-friendly areas and 24% in Yes-friendly areas as Lord Ashcroft's constituency polling found, tactical voting is only going to relevant to a couple of seats.

It's a prompted question, also, and only relevant to LAB or SNP prime leads - but some constituencies are with LD or CON leads and there could be anti-Union tactical voting there too.

Some interesting points being made on scotgoespop, too.

• Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    edited April 2015
    Anecdote: I was strolling in today's wonderful sunshine when I came across an old, dyed -in-the-wool liberal lefty friend who despises the Tories. We were discussing the political situation and the lack of any political activity in our marginal constituency when I remarked, uncontroversially I thought, that Ed Milliband was favourite to be next PM. He was genuinely surprised and I swear I saw an element of fear flash across his eyes. Not everybody avidly follows pbc and the polls!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

Beat me to it.

I think Nige's comment says it all about Labour. IF Labour win the election, UKIP will be in a very very strong position to hoover up an awful lot of working class northern votes when they realise that Labour despises everything they believe in.

Labour seem to have as many inverted racists as UKIP have racists.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Ishmael_X said:

Alistair said:

Because the SNP is standing for a Westminster election (in apparent contrast to the Unionsits who seem to be fighting indyref 2), some of its policies apply to the UK as a whole and have an appeal for a proportion of voters. That is one area not being discussed yet to its proper extent.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Labour candidate: People who fly England flags are 'simpletons and casual racists'

Isam, this refers to a Welsh Labour candidate, who is talking about flying England flags in Wales.

Although I am not a great one for flags, it seems that either the Welsh flag or the Union Jack (depending on inclination) might be more reasonable choices if you want to fly a flag in Ceredigion.

After all, I don't expect to see the Welsh Flag flying over Canvey Island.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    edited April 2015

Labour candidate: People who fly England flags are 'simpletons and casual racists'

Isam, this refers to a Welsh Labour candidate, who is talking about flying England flags in Wales.

Although I am not a great one for flags, it seems that either the Welsh flag or the Union Jack (depending on inclination) might be more reasonable choices if you want to fly a flag in Ceredigion.

But if you did you would have absolutely no right to complain about it.

EDIT: In fact, having read a bit of the article it's worse than I thought. He's actually complaining about English people living in Wales wanting to remain English. Does anyone remember the Tebbit Test?
  • Options

Anecdote: I was strolling in today's wonderful sunshine when I came across an old, dyed -in-the-wool liberal lefty friend who despises the Tories. We were discussing the political situation and the lack of any political activity in our marginal constituency when I remarked, uncontroversially I thought, that Ed Milliband was favourite to be next PM. He was genuinely surprised and I swear I saw an element of fear flash across his eyes. Not everybody avidly follows pbc and the polls!

This is what Dan Hodges wrote about. That's why the Tories have made Ed their whole campaign, to try and get people to wake up to that eventuality
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

But what if you wanted to celebrate your identity as an Englishman? Similarly for Welsh not living in Wales. Limiting where you can fly a flag to only the jurisdiction it represents is silly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    edited April 2015
    FPT @Morris_Dancer : "Mr. 1000, coalitions by necessity result in manifesto commitments becoming optional extras, and (excepting cases where there's only one valid coalition) parties deciding who governs, rather than the electorate."

That would seem to suggest that the ideal electoral system would be a single constituency for the whole country that would deliver 100 MPs to whoever got the highest share of the vote, irrespective of whether first place was 5% or 55%.

I assume that is not what you propose.

No government is ever judged by its manifesto promises. It is judged by whether it is able to better the living standards of its people, and to ensure their safety. All manifestos an d political parties have that as their goal, and manifestos merely suggest different methods to achieve that goal.

And no manifesto is able to predict the 'events' - most of which come from outside the UK or, indeed, the government's control.

Finally, in a constituency FPTP system, I am electing a representative. Someone to whom my community has delegated powers for a limited period of time. By voting I am specifically empowering him or her to act on my behalf.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/gordon/

If 53% of Tories and 36% of SLABbers back the Liberals, they still lose 43% to 35%.

It's still not even close.
  • Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    Scott_P said:

Kinga said:

It would be very Interesting if there is any form of Tory administration next month, and they offered a free vote on FFA for Scotland
    I think a Tory government is more likely to offer Scotland SFA than FFA.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Only possible outcome of tactical voting in Scotland will be to make Miliband PM.

Cameron desperately needs a total Lab wipeout in Scotland - ie to below 10 seats.

Lab gets 5 seats in Scotland - Cameron clear favourite to be PM.

Lab gets 12 seats in Scotland - then it's 50:50.

Over 12 then I make Miliband favourite.
  • Options
  • Options
    FPT

rcs1000 said:

Could the LibDems get 5 Scottish seats, as Moneyweek is predicting?

Probably not.

But if they did, which would be the five?

I'd go for:

1. Orkney & Shetland
    2. Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross
    3. Ross, Skye and Lochebar
    4. Inverness & Nairn
    5. Gordon

[snip]

Swap in Fife NE for Inverness and I think you have it right.

Edit: or maybe Dunbartonshire East. Really not sure how lack of incumbency will play out in Fife.
    I would have Dunbartonshire East in there too.
    In Glasgow North which adjuncts to Dunbartonshire East and had a 31% Liberal vote in 2010, the Liberal share was down to 4%.

Put simply, Swinson is gone. No if's no buts. I don't think we can even expect it to be close in 2010 it was Liberal 39%, Labour 34%, Tory 15%. SNP 10% but the scale of the movement is such that the result will be SNP around 45% and Labour around 25%, Tory 15% (because Tory votes don't change in Scotland) and Liberals on 10% higher than the Liberal average due to Swinson's incumbency.

The 10% might be high

Tactical voting will not be much of an issue but where it is, it is just as likely you get situations like Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale Labour voters backing the SNP to kick out the Tories as you will get people voting tactically to "stop the SNP".

Tactical voting isn't relevant in 90% of the Scottish seats where the SNP will record in excess of 45% of the vote. In reality Tactical Voting stops being relevant around 40% vote share and the SNP are well beyond there in most constituencies.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited April 2015

“Having said this, I had the opportunity, when I had the opportunity to buy an England flag for half price in WH Smith, Oxford, to answer with the phrase: ‘Since I am neither a simpleton nor a casual racist I must decline your offer’. Poor ‘Stacey’ didn’t know where to look!”

Oxford is not in Wales. Would you be happy if a Tory MP said the same thing about a Welsh flag in a shop in Aberaeron?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Why not? I live in Harrogate and on any given day will see dozens of welsh and Scottish flags being displayed on cars owned by people who live locally and never give it a second thought.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    SNP Seatspotting

Current price 36-40

30-34 would get you 15; 50-54 = 60.

Any sellers here :) ?
  • Options
    "But what if you wanted to celebrate your identity as an Englishman? Similarly for Welsh not living in Wales. "

My father flew a Welsh flag when he lived in the English East Midlands.

I thought it was sad (on many levels).

You live in the US, I gather, RobD. Do you :"celebrate your identity as an Englishman" by flying a Union Jack outside your condo?

If you want to "celebrate" being English, there are so many more creative and wonderful ways in which to do it, surely?

• Options

Alistair said:

The SNP platform at this election is to transition to Full Fiscal Autonomy. Regardless of which direction you believe subsidies are heading, they would end.

I would think you would be very much in favour of this.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

I'm not defending what this guy said.

But I am prepared to defend the principle that it's pretty crappy to use what someone said 9 years ago - when they were a fresh faced student - against them in an election campaign.

Do you think it's fair game, sam?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:
    He should be far shorter than evens. This remains one of the very best bets out there. Your William Hill bet on him being Prime Minister on 1 August is better still, but Hills limit my stakes.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited April 2015
    Which is all very well except that:

1. In many seats, one or more of the unionist parties is virtually non-existent; there simply aren't tactical votes to squeeze.

2. In a lot of seats, the SNP is coming from way back either in percentage terms or position. Will voters know that they're living in a marginal? (Yes, the SNP will be putting out 'winning here' leaflets but they would do that, wouldn't they?)

3. Even if voters do think they're in an SNP-vulnerable marginal, do they know who to tactically vote for - if the SNP is up 30%, that'll have come from all over the place and the party that won last time isn't necessarily the best-placed to stop them this time, particularly in Lab-Con seats or LD-held seats, for example.

Short of an explicit anti-SNP alliance, I can see huge wastage in 'tactical voting gone wrong' and little difference to the result. And if there were an explicit unionist pact, it would solidify the SNP's position like nothing else (indeed, nothing *has* solidified the SNP's position like last September's unionist alliance).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Dair said:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/gordon/

If 53% of Tories and 36% of SLABbers back the Liberals, they still lose 43% to 35%.

It's still not even close.

It's comments like this that makes me think Gordon will be an unlikely LibDem hold.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. 1000, "No government is ever judged by its manifesto promises."

Perhaps they should be.

Further degrading the manifesto isn't a step in the right direction.

Rather than empowering parties, I'd sooner see total fragmentation and an altogether looser arrangement. Better the Roman Senate than the Bundestag.
  • Options
    Kinga said:

JPJ2 said:

They are therefore caught between a rock and a black hole. Fortunately for them, most of their support is now so swivel-eyed, they can't tell the difference. So that's alright then.
    No the Smith Commission forms the ground rules for power devolution.

Effectively the Westminster Parties have already signed away Scottish contributions towards the Westminster Debt Pile and "UK Wide" spending (which is generally London spending).

These will need to be funded by rUK after FFA.
  • Options
    "But I am prepared to defend the principle that it's pretty crappy to use what someone said 9 years ago, when they were a fresh faced student, against them in an election campaign."

Pong, I think the problem is that the Labour candidate started this by dragging up a quote that Plaid Cymru candidate made about "English Nazis" in 2001.

This is Plaid Cymru's retaliation.

Probably all this muck-throwing by Plaid and Labour means that Ceredigion is going to end up as the LibDem's safest seat.
  • Options
    Pong said:

isam said:

I'm not defending what this guy said.

But I am prepared to defend the principle that it's pretty crappy to use what someone said 9 years ago - when they were a fresh faced student - against them in an election campaign.

Do you think it's fair game, sam?
    I am prepared to look at why what he said has been uncovered.. Are you pong?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

I can't see any problem with flying the Welsh flag in England
  • Options
    Kinga said:

Scott_P said:

Kinga said:

Scotland wouldn't be offered FFA but I can see significant powers, including meaningful tax-varying powers, in exchange for EV4EL.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    I'll take 42 SNP seats to 17 Unionist ones with a song in my heart.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Kinga said:

Scott_P said:

Kinga said:

Scotland wouldn't be offered FFA but I can see significant powers, including meaningful tax-varying powers, in exchange for EV4EL.
    Meaningful tax-varying powers means FFA or nada.
  • Options

"But what if you wanted to celebrate your identity as an Englishman? Similarly for Welsh not living in Wales. "

You live in the US, I gather, RobD. Do you :"celebrate your identity as an Englishman" by flying a Union Jack outside your condo?

If you want to "celebrate" being English, there are so many more creative and wonderful ways in which to do it, surely?

When I was on holiday in Wales during the 2010 world cup, I was surprised at how many English flags were flying. The pub I watched the Germany match in was split roughly 50-50 in terms of active support, though most seemed to have few strong opinions expressed either way.
  • Options

Kinga said:

Scott_P said:

Kinga said:

If a wafer thin Con Minority with both LD and DUP support gets in, I can see the SNP taking that deal as Dave wants to get business through the house.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Yes, tactical voting is inevitable now, it will begin in May on a small scale but by Holyrood's elections next year it will be commonplace. With Yes voters virtually all voting SNP at a constituency level (although a handful will vote Green in 2016 on the regional list) unionist Tories and LDs will start voting Labour in Labour v SNP seats which make up the majority of Scottish battlegrounds. It is just what happened in Quebec when Quebec Tories voted Liberal to keep out the Partis Quebecois and the Bloc Quebecois
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

SNP Seatspotting

Current price 36-40

That's a very interesting market - highly geared to a high SNP performance (try drawing a graph of make-up price against total SNP seats).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

Beat me to it.

Interesting. What does this single entity known as the white working class believe in? Many white working class people believe in the public sector. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does. Many more believe in strong trade unions. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does.There are a fair few who believe in an expanded state. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does.

If you are the kind of person who seriously believes the white working class drives around in white vans and likes nothing more than waving England flags you really do not know much about the white working class, which - in reality - comes in all shapes and sizes and is home to a wide variety of views.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

SNP Seatspotting

Current price 36-40

That's a very interesting market - highly geared to a high SNP performance (try drawing a graph of make-up price against total SNP seats).
    I've bought at a pound a point ;)

Just a little top up to spice up GE night even more as I don't fancy getting involved with Orkney Shetland, Renfrewshire, Edi South, DCT on either side that heavily.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Beat me to it.

Interesting. What does this single entity known as the white working class believe in? Many white working class people believe in the public sector. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does. Many more believe in strong trade unions. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does.There are a fair few who believe in an expanded state. Labour does not despise that. UKIP's Thatcherite leadership does.

If you are the kind of person who seriously believes the white working class drives around in white vans and likes nothing more than waving England flags you really do not know much about the white working class, which - in reality - comes in all shapes and sizes and is home to a wide variety of views.

Who mentioned white working class?
  • Options
    A surprise Labour hold might be Dunfermline West Fife - both Yougov's map and Election Forecast have it as a Labour hold.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    OGH: what this tells me is that the future holds more political realignment in Scotland in the future, with the emergence of a unionist party through the dissolution and merger of the Scottish branches of those Westminster parties which support the union. While that would perforce have to be a broad church party, it could happen if unionism is considered more important to voters opposing independence than the political differences between the Scottish Westminster parties, which this polling would seem to indicate is indeed the case.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SNP Seatspotting

Current price 36-40

A 4-point spread is pretty chunky there imo.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited April 2015
    I have no idea what the parties are doing. It's unearthly weird.

What the Tories are doing with this 3 day volunteering thing is beyond me, as is the resitting of SATs tests as a policy deemed releasable to the news cycle. The Fallon quote was a cock up let's be honest, and detracted from the Trident message ( which was actually only "we'll buy one extra boat"). The six year old passed out next to Cameron was on to something.

Labour's non Dom thing prob played well with its target audience but they made an utter Horlicks launching it. Now Ed is in Scotland, implausibly channeling his inner Bundesbank, lecturing the SNP on the virtues of fiscal rectitude and nobody will believe a word he's saying. Oh and he's frozen/capped/constrained ( perm any two from three just like gas or rents ) train fares.

I can literally remember nothing about the Lib's campaign other than Nick Clegg walking through a wooded area with Ed Davey.

UKIP are making the Tories look like a Mandelsoneque campaign in comparison. it's just vapid and shows that sans Nigel there's sod all ( where is Carswell??).

The SNP are doing a lap of honour and in fairness I think they could announce the slaughter of the first born and it won't make any difference in 2015, landslide doesn't cover it I think.

Plaid/Greens Respect - well I'm bored now anyway who the hell cares? ( Though Plaid's Ceredigion candidate must be starring in a reality show for a bet - surely)

Basically I'm not impressed though at least Labour appear arsed about it in fairness. Innumerate, but arsed.

This is the election where what's NOT in the manifesto is the bit to look for, because they are all giving me the impression of tippy toeing around the big big issues because they are all scared we'll get the heeeby jeebies if we are told something approaching the truth. Come on Tories: where are the £12bn welfare cuts coming from then? Labour stop trying to con us you can get mansions, and non doms, and bankers to raise the taxes you want to - 'cos they can't and we know it.

Feel better having got that lit off my chest!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Sean_F said:

There shouldn't be. My cousin flew the Scottish Flag in London during the independence campaign and there weren't any problems. If flying the English flag in Wales causes issues then it says more about the Welsh than the English people who choose to fly it.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Beat me to it.

You do, all the time.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

SNP Seatspotting

Current price 36-40

I invented a v similar market when I worked at IG.. 'The 0-0 detector' no less

0-0=100pts
    1 goal = 50pts
    2 goals = 30pts
    3 goals = 20pts
    4 goals = 10pts
    5 or more = 0pts

The blurb was that we found the old detector in a cupboard while doing the spring cleaning

'Covered in dust and beginning to rust, but still as trusty as the day we bought it'
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited April 2015
    https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/586556195223248896
    Fabricant, who has been an MP since 1992, appeared upbeat, telling followers he had "had various bits removed so walking very oddly" but praising the NHS staff who treated him as "excellent and thoroughly professional".

All the best from us all at Telegraph towers, Michael.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    FTSE closes at all time record high - 7089.
  • Options
    RobD said:

But what if you wanted to celebrate your identity as an Englishman? Similarly for Welsh not living in Wales. Limiting where you can fly a flag to only the jurisdiction it represents is silly.
    RobD: where in the US are you? I am in the DC area.
  • Options

isam said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Beat me to it.

You do, all the time.
    Bore off ting tong xx
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

I live in the Bay area.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    I drove through Bradford today. The east ring road - Killinghall Rd and Harrogate Rd - is lined with David Ward posters, No sign of anyone else.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Kinga said:

Scott_P said:

Kinga said:

Meaningful tax-varying powers means FFA or nada.
    The sticking (sticky?) point is oil. The SNP want it for Holyrood, which won't happen. There may be a deal possible re all on-shore taxation and spending.
  • Options

Only on the fourth of July! ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A surprise Labour hold might be Dunfermline West Fife - both Yougov's map and Election Forecast have it as a Labour hold.

Labour are odds-on for that everywhere, so not sure that counts as a surprise!
  • Options
    RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

I live in the Bay area.
    Nice. How will the water restrictions affect you?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

There shouldn't be. My cousin flew the Scottish Flag in London during the independence campaign and there weren't any problems. If flying the English flag in Wales causes issues then it says more about the Welsh than the English people who choose to fly it.
    Presumably you meant to say "it says more about the Welsh people who take exception than the English people who choose to fly it", right?

Anyway, if they come down here to west Cornwall with their St George's Crosses the deepest darkest corners of Wales are likely to look like a bastion of tolerance and free expression... I'm not sure I've ever seen one flying here.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Evening all.

Tactical voting – is the general populace savvy enough to know what a marginal seat is, whether they live in one and how to manipulate a desired outcome?

Personally, I have my doubts.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No government is ever judged by its manifesto promises. It is judged by whether it is able to better the living standards of its people, and to ensure their safety. All manifestos an d political parties have that as their goal, and manifestos merely suggest different methods to achieve that goal.

And no manifesto is able to predict the 'events' - most of which come from outside the UK or, indeed, the government's control.

Finally, in a constituency FPTP system, I am electing a representative. Someone to whom my community has delegated powers for a limited period of time. By voting I am specifically empowering him or her to act on my behalf.

This is based on a simple but common constitutional fallacy.

It is of course the function of the government not to defend the country and not to impoverish the people. It is also true, if tautological, that the government cannot control events beyond its control. Nevertheless, the government is not elected in this country. It is appointed. It is in fact unlawful for the government to slavishly follow the policies on which its constituent party was elected (Roberts v Hopwood [1925] AC 578 (HL); Bromley LBC v GLC [1983] 1 AC 768, 831, 853 (HL) per Lord Diplock & Lord Brandon of Oakbrook).

People vote in general elections for members of the legislature, whose function is to pass laws and to vote supply to the executive government. It seems perfectly sensible to hold elected members of a legislature to promises as to the legislation and taxes for which they will or will not vote. Members of the House of Commons have quite different functions to the executive government, and it is quite wrong to equate the two.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

What the Tories are doing with this 3 day volunteering thing is beyond me, as is the resitting of SATs tests as a policy deemed releasable to the news cycle. The Fallon quote was a cock up let's be honest, and detracted from the Trident message ( which was actually only "we'll buy one extra boat"). The six year old passed out next to Cameron was on to something.

Labour's non Dom thing prob played well with its target audience but they made an utter Horlicks launching it. Now Ed is in Scotland, implausibly channeling his inner Bundesbank, lecturing the SNP on the virtues of fiscal rectitude and nobody will believe a word he's saying. Oh and he's frozen/capped/constrained ( perm any two from three just like gas or rents ) train fares.

I can literally remember nothing about the Lib's campaign other than Nick Clegg walking through a wooded area with Ed Davey.

UKIP are making the Tories look like a Mandelsoneque campaign in comparison. it's just vapid and shows that sans Nigel there's sod all ( where is Carswell??).

The SNP are doing a lap of honour and in fairness I think they could announce the slaughter of the first born and it won't make any difference in 2015, landslide doesn't cover it I think.

Plaid/Greens Respect - well I'm bored now anyway who the hell cares? ( Though Plaid's Ceredigion candidate must be starring in a reality show for a bet - surely)

Basically I'm not impressed though at least Labour appear arsed about it in fairness. Innumerate, but arsed.

This is the election where what's NOT in the manifesto is the bit to look for, because they are all giving me the impression of tippy toeing around the big big issues because they are all scared we'll get the heeeby jeebies if we are told something approaching the truth. Come on Tories: where are the £12bn welfare cuts coming from then? Labour stop trying to con us you can get mansions, and non doms, and bankers to raise the taxes you want to - 'cos they can't and we know it.

Very good summary except the train fare freeze is David Camerons
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

When I was on holiday in Wales during the 2010 world cup, I was surprised at how many English flags were flying. The pub I watched the Germany match in was split roughly 50-50 in terms of active support, though most seemed to have few strong opinions expressed either way.
    Encouraging vandalism can't be right.
    I like the cross of St George. I'm as proud of England as I am of Great Britain. I've never felt the need to display it myself, but I like to see it on public buildings and in connection with sporting events.
    I am quite sure in my own mind that as part of responding to demands for more devolution and the English democratic deficit.the Labour Party would be happy to balkanise England
    Having said that, I'm a bit suspicious of men waving a flag and a pint outside a pub. I doubt it enhances my country particularly.

The picture seems to indicate that Farage is doing what he does best and is down to his last refuge.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Labour are odds-on for that everywhere, so not sure that counts as a surprise!
    Lol big big Lib Dem vote to collapse xD Not sure I'd back at odds on ;)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sean_F said:

My neighbour flys a Welsh flag fairly regularly, particularly when the Rugby is on. Never had any trouble.

I expect a little flag flying planned myself at the World Cup match between Argentina and Namibia in Leicester. I have a Namibian flag, but also a Falkland lles one...
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

SNP winning a seat instead of the Conservatives helps Labour.

SNP winning a seat instead of Labour helps the Conservatives.

I just don't see tactical voting happening on any great scale.

Long time lurker here but finally registered so I can post. The tactical voting point is something I'm struggling with. My constituency is a straight SNP/SLAB fight. I would love to say I'm the bigger man and would vote for the Unionst candidate (I.e. SLAB) but with my UK hat on it is in our interests for the SNP to take the seat. I was discussing this with a colleague of mine today (he is not a Tory) and we felt that a SNP vote is a safe vote this time - next year at Holyrood elections it will be different! On reflection I'm going to stick with my instincts and vote Tory (albeit probably wasted in terms of outcome) and think many others will do the same
  • Options
    slade said:

I drove through Bradford today. The east ring road - Killinghall Rd and Harrogate Rd - is lined with David Ward posters, No sign of anyone else.

I'm going to stick my 1-8 on Labour here in amongst the "dreadful odds on bets that may scrape home" category.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,981
    welshowl said:

Yes, this is the first election campaign since 1987 which hasn't been directed by Mandelson - and, frankly, it shows.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Just for any Con HQ types, or Tory party strategists, (or perhaps even Call Me Dave or Lynton himself) who may happen to drop by this site for a few minutes to see what is happening.

This volunteering thing. What a load of total, second rate, uninspiring bollocks.(See also school tests and porn filters).

Pull your finger out and give us something worthwhile. I plan to vote for you in the Forest of Dean but this is a poor poor campaign so far.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Tory.

Mr. Foxinsox, patriotic of you, old bean.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RobD said:

MTimT said:

RobD said:

I live in the Bay area.
    Nice. How will the water restrictions affect you?
    As long as I can flush the loo and make a cup of tea, probably not at all. I don't own a car, so no need to wash that!
This discussion has been closed.