Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Th non-doms – Marf gives her take

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Th non-doms – Marf gives her take

There’s an excellent piece by John Rentoul on the issue here. The heading says it all:- “Non-doms: If Osborne was on the ball he would not be left defending a tax perk for the rich. The stupidity of his response is matched only by its laziness.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    First
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    Labour made a dogs breakfast of that. Is that another Balls Up?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    FPT The white bits in black pudding are oatmeal. The taste is a little spicier and saltier than a sausage, and less fatty. It suits me to a T.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Oh, thanx for that. I may pluck up the courage to try some.
    EPG said:

FPT The white bits in black pudding are oatmeal. The taste is a little spicier and saltier than a sausage, and less fatty. It suits me to a T.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    @Ms Plato

The white bits are fat in black pudding, though there may be barley in some versions. It's a bit like a very dry sausage (fat aside) in terms of texture. Not quite certain how to describe the taste- slightly dry meaty but not very strong.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    “Non-doms: If Osborne was on the ball he would not be left defending a tax perk for the rich"
    He didn't defend it. He attacked Labour for being unable to string an announcement together without tripping over Ed's Balls
  • Options
    Dave Can't Win Here.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    EPG said:

The white bits are diced fat if produced in the north west of England.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    EPG said:

Hogs pudding is also very nice
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Scott_P said:

“Non-doms: If Osborne was on the ball he would not be left defending a tax perk for the rich"
    He didn't defend it. He attacked Labour for being unable to string an announcement together without tripping over Ed's Balls
    The Rentoul piece was I think pre-written, and inadequately tweaked to reflect events. Fail.
  • Options
    Ah ha! Controversy! :smile:

I expected it to be like kidney or liver in terms of taste. Love liver, hate kidney [the smell makes me want to barf]
    welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

The white bits are fat in black pudding, though there may be barley in some versions. It's a bit like a very dry sausage (fat aside) in terms of texture. Not quite certain how to describe the taste- slightly dry meaty but not very strong.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    When the news leads with the fact that the party leader and finance minister can't get a story straight then I guess it's a bad day for your party. It just reinforces the narrative that Labour are coming up with policy on the hoof, that the blank page is still very much blank.

It's also the intellectual paucity of their argument. If Labour want to argue for a larger state then that is their prerogative, as the LibDems did in (I think) 2005 with the policy of a penny on income tax to go to Education. That's a thought-through policy, just yelling "Bankers, Non-Doms, Bankers, Zero Hours" again and again certainly isn't!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Black pudding - http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=4

What was white pudding?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Ishmael_X said:

Scott_P said:

The Rentoul piece was I think pre-written, and inadequately tweaked to reflect events. Fail.

Lazy journalist can't be bothered to rewrite article.
  • Options
    @FraserNelson: I gather that the next Scottish leaders debate, being broadcast at 9pm on BBC, will show Nicola Sturgeon in some difficulty.
  • Options
    It's another terrible day for the Tories. Didn't you get the memo?
    Sandpit said:

When the news leads with the fact that the party leader and finance minister can't get a story straight then I guess it's a bad day for your party. It just reinforces the narrative that Labour are coming up with policy on the hoof, that the blank page is still very much blank.

It's also the intellectual paucity of their argument. If Labour want to argue for a larger state then that is their prerogative, as the LibDems did in (I think) 2005 with the policy of a penny on income tax to go to Education. That's a thought-through policy, just yelling "Bankers, Non-Doms, Bankers, Zero Hours" again and again certainly isn't!

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    saddened said:

EPG said:

It's oatmeal in the civilised world. The idea of adding chunks of congealed fat into a sausage/pudding is generally not an appetising one.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT:

Plato said:

Thanx - what does black pudding taste like? Anything similar? Are the white bits fat?

EPG said:

Plato said:

OT Epicure query here. Haven't eaten tongue in 40ys - I liked it until I realised what it was. Anyone eaten it recently? Never tried black pudding ever and what is chorizo?

I'm not a fan of cured meats bar ham. But have ordered some German garlic sausage as I dimly recall rather liking that too during my tongue phase. Any suggestions? I definitely don't like dried ham in any guise.

Chorizo is a spicy, greasy sausage. Black pudding is crumbly, and doesn't taste like sausage at all.
    The white bits are pork fat. If you fry it in slices these melt, making the pudding moist and tasty.

It is a strong rich flavour, excellent as part of a cooked breakfast, rather like a stronger version of Haggis and also best as an accompaniment rather than a main dish.

For vegetarians I would strongly recommend Linda McCartneys products. Much tastier than any other vege burgers and sausages. She may have contributed to the worlds best band breaking up, but she knows how to cook!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    This is one of the best Marf cartoon I've seen. Really top stuff.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Plato said:

Sandpit said:

Don't you mean "terrrrrrrrible"?... titter
  • Options
    I like fried fat - lamb chop fat is delicious.
    Dair said:

saddened said:

EPG said:

It's oatmeal in the civilised world. The idea of adding chunks of congealed fat into a sausage/pudding is generally not an appetising one.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    dr_spyn said:

Black pudding - http://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=4

What was white pudding?

Black pudding without the pig blood.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

I expected it to be like kidney or liver in terms of taste. Love liver, hate kidney [the smell makes me want to barf]

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

It's not like either really in my view at least. Not as "dense" in taste or certainly texture. But we may all taste things slightly differently I suppose. We'll never know!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    BBC's Have Your Say is unimpressed with this policy proposal. That surprised me.
  • Options
    Thanx - this has been a most interesting set of responses to a dish I've never wanted to eat. Fried pork fat sounds tastier than a filler like oats.

FPT:

Plato said:

Thanx - what does black pudding taste like? Anything similar? Are the white bits fat?

EPG said:

Plato said:

OT Epicure query here. Haven't eaten tongue in 40ys - I liked it until I realised what it was. Anyone eaten it recently? Never tried black pudding ever and what is chorizo?

I'm not a fan of cured meats bar ham. But have ordered some German garlic sausage as I dimly recall rather liking that too during my tongue phase. Any suggestions? I definitely don't like dried ham in any guise.

Chorizo is a spicy, greasy sausage. Black pudding is crumbly, and doesn't taste like sausage at all.
    The white bits are pork fat. If you fry it in slices these melt, making the pudding moist and tasty.

It is a strong rich flavour, excellent as part of a cooked breakfast, rather like a stronger version of Haggis and also best as an accompaniment rather than a main dish.

For vegetarians I would strongly recommend Linda McCartneys products. Much tastier than any other vege burgers and sausages. She may have contributed to the worlds best band breaking up, but she knows how to cook!
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    5% or thereabouts of the population are allergic to Quorn - it made me throw up for an hour the last time I had it, and I couldn't lift my arms for a week. It's the best thing to be allergic to - something you eat as a replacement for something. It's like being allergic to peanut substitute.
  • Options

This is one of the best Marf cartoon I've seen. Really top stuff.

I agree. Though the resemblance to Lord Ashcroft is unfortunate!
  • Options
    I notice nobody has confessed to eating tongue...
    welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

It's not like either really in my view at least. Not as "dense" in taste or certainly texture. But we may all taste things slightly differently I suppose. We'll never know!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

BBC's Have Your Say is unimpressed with this policy proposal. That surprised me.

For the politicos though, it's surely all about setting the agenda, no?

I'm sure Labour will be happy to talk about non-doms from now until May 7th, even if it is all a bit vacuous.
  • Options
    Plato said:

welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

Ooh matron!
  • Options
    Oh dear! That sounds horrific!
    Monkeys said:

5% or thereabouts of the population are allergic to Quorn - it made me throw up for an hour the last time I had it, and I couldn't lift my arms for a week. It's the best thing to be allergic to - something you eat as a replacement for something. It's like being allergic to peanut substitute.

• Options
    @ScottyNational: Exclusive on #leadersdebate: We can confirm the biased BBC edits out the 120 standing ovations received by Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    Plato said:

My Dad loves it. Not a fan myself
  • Options
    Previous Thread: Looking at the Ashcroft Polls they do indicate the difficulty in Cons retaining enough seats to form a government even if they stay the largest party. With if a 50/50 chance of which leader is next PM what is likely to happen to FTSE 100 Index? If markets don't like uncertainty a close result, whatever it is, has more downside than upside if you want to play that way.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Scott_P said:

@FraserNelson: I gather that the next Scottish leaders debate, being broadcast at 9pm on BBC, will show Nicola Sturgeon in some difficulty.

Another difficult audience maybe.
  • Options
    Plato said:

welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

I love tongue.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Really? When you think of it, this is a de facto shift of the burden of taxation from the wealthy to the ordinary man in the street.

We ban non doms.

They leave.

We have to make up the tax shortfall.
  • Options
    Where can we watch this biased programming?
    Scott_P said:

@ScottyNational: Exclusive on #leadersdebate: We can confirm the biased BBC edits out the 120 standing ovations received by Nicola Sturgeon.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

I think it is on BBC Parliament NEWS or online

@ScotTories: .@RuthDavidsonMSP will be taking part in tonight's debate on the BBC at 9pm. You can watch it online here: http://t.co/WqpGMKRljM
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Previous Thread: Looking at the Ashcroft Polls they do indicate the difficulty in Cons retaining enough seats to form a government even if they stay the largest party. With if a 50/50 chance of which leader is next PM what is likely to happen to FTSE 100 Index? If markets don't like uncertainty a close result, whatever it is, has more downside than upside if you want to play that way.

The FTSE 100 Index ? Huh ?

Reminds me of an FT headline after a massive earthquake in Assam killed 10000:

Massive Earthquake in Assam; Tea shares drop
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

I think it is on BBC Parliament NEWS or online

@ScotTories: .@RuthDavidsonMSP will be taking part in tonight's debate on the BBC at 9pm. You can watch it online here: http://t.co/WqpGMKRljM
    Two in two days? Tough schedule.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    The Rentoul scribbling is just lazy and vapid New Labour 'positioning' stuff. What next? The Tories have to fall in step if Miliband proposes a Wilsonite 90% super tax? Thatcher got rid of all that when she tore up the Heathite consensus, and I've no desire to revisit it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Plato said:

Thanx - this has been a most interesting set of responses to a dish I've never wanted to eat. Fried pork fat sounds tastier than a filler like oats.

FPT:

Plato said:

EPG said:

Plato said:

I quite recommend ox's heart.

Like very lean well hung beef. Cheap too...
  • Options
    @afneil: Debate pre-recorded so Labour spinners already claiming Sturgeon in trouble. Voters will be judged of that.
  • Options
    Poor writing from a normally decent journalist.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Nicely done Marf. I don't much like 'em myself.

re sausage, when my exercise was mainly going on long walks---say 30 miles with a pack---I would lunch on a ring of pepperoni, made locally in the wonderful Bedford Italian community, with much bread and some water, or beer if it was available. The white bits in that sausage were most definitely pieces of fat.
    A very good substitute would have been black pudding from a rather special local Bedford butcher, still going strong.
  • Options
    Oh gawd, not David Coburn!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    RobD said:

Oh gawd, not David Coburn!

Has he come out with his Abu Hamza joke yet :D ?
  • Options
    Coburn blows apart the myth that all gays are green hippies living in Brighton :D
  • Options
    Why don;t the tories they they want MORE non doms...???

They pay loads in tax, if we had more, I'd be able to cut your taxes and keep services intact or make them better.
  • Options
    That's one for @antifrank

Plato said:

FPT:

Plato said:

EPG said:

Plato said:

I quite recommend ox's heart.

Like very lean well hung beef. Cheap too...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Thanks for the debate link Scott P, much appreciated
  • Options
    I think the non doms was such an embarrassment for Labour that they should continue to talk about it until 6th May and let Osborne / Cameron say how wonderful it is for non doms to get away with £90000.

Why would someone pay £90000 ? Because alternatively, they would have to pay more.
  • Options
    I love ox heart too. Most innards, in fact.
  • Options
    Ha, maybe my carrier pigeon got lost on the way. ;)

The Guardian have dropped the story from their headlines, the BBC lead on the defence of the policy and the Telegraph kick the boot in about their "Independent" advisor being a party member and responsible for Gary Barlow's well documented recent troubles with the taxman.
    Oh, and the policy was "20 years in the making", Gordon didn't do it because he did the maths and realised how much it would cost the country to go for the internationally mobile.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11523489/The-20-year-history-of-Labours-struggle-over-non-doms.html
    Plato said:

Sandpit said:

• Options
    Ruth already sticking it to Nicola

Nicola "Austerity is holding back growth"

Ruth "We have the fastest growth in the developed World"

@afneil: Sturgeon calls extra £180bn spending "modest" which would mean "slightly" slower deficit reduction. These claims deserve serious scrutiny.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,015
    Dair said:

saddened said:

EPG said:

It greatly improves the texture which can otherwise be rather dry. As a student I used to buy an excellent one from a butcher on Two Ball Lonnen in Newcastle. We also used to buy white pudding from the Grainger Market which basically is pet mince in a tube (probably lungs & stuff) and you could also get a sweet sort of white pudding that contained dried fruit and stuff. Excellent cheap way of feeding students. Being a Geordie I am surprised Plato hasn't ever had this sort of food, along with battered haggis & chips and saveloy dip.

The North Western variety can be very good, the best is usually horseshoe shaped in a proper gut casing and is boiled or steamed. The fatter sort is best sliced and fried (not grilled). Black pudding and onion sandwich is an excellent hangover cure.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, I disagree with Rentoul and I disagree with Mike. If the Tories can only win by aping Labour then what's the point? If this debate puts the Conservatives on the wrong side of public opinion then the public are wrong. No big deal about that - one of the purposes of political campaigning is to educate and change people's minds. Besides, Labour's all over the place themselves on the policy, not least because the detail doesn't stack up. Sometimes it's right to pander to public prejudice; sometimes it's not.

As a one-off, this might be acceptable but there's a wholly undesirable anti-rich, anti-success, anti-business element to Labour's campaigning that needs challenging and defeating before it does the country serious harm. Or, alternatively, Labour needs to demonstrate that it would do serious harm. Either way, it's not the Tories' job to implement Labour policies, only more effectively.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Attacking non-doms was a no brainer for Labour. I really don't see how the Tories could fail to be hit by it, that's why it's so good. For a significant number it doesn't matter how fair or reasonable it might be to say Labour's policy would not be helpful, or even if it was downright silly, it looks like the Tories are defending a very unlikable group.
  • Options
    @FraserNelson: Anyone wanting glimpse what Ukip would look like without Farage should tune in to BBC News Channel for Ukip bloke in Scottish #leadersdebate
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    taffys said:

Why don;t the tories they they want MORE non doms...???

They pay loads in tax, if we had more, I'd be able to cut your taxes and keep services intact or make them better.

Indeed - if we could attract double the number of non-doms on the same basis that we have now, we could cut the basic rate of income tax from 20p to 16p with the extra tax they would be paying!!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@afneil: Sturgeon calls extra £180bn spending "modest" which would mean "slightly" slower deficit reduction. These claims deserve serious scrutiny.

The SNP is Teflon coated. They don't have to raise taxes. They are given money to spend which as it so happens is approximately £2000 more per head than the rest of the UK receives.

Scotland should be independent !
  • Options
    "Wean Scotland off" :D Coburn pursuing a core strategy here :D
  • Options
    The weekly trip to the Grainger Market was the thing I hated most. All sawdust and overpowering smell of blood. Sickly and stuck in your nose for hours.

I lived on lamb chops for a couple of yrs as a small kid - I was very faddy, once I'd got a taste for something, that was it! Funnily enough, I had lamb chops for tea today - haven't had them in ten years, I burned my fingers on them but golly how yummy!

Dair said:

saddened said:

EPG said:

It greatly improves the texture which can otherwise be rather dry. As a student I used to buy an excellent one from a butcher on Two Ball Lonnen in Newcastle. We also used to buy white pudding from the Grainger Market which basically is pet mince in a tube (probably lungs & stuff) and you could also get a sweet sort of white pudding that contained dried fruit and stuff. Excellent cheap way of feeding students. Being a Geordie I am surprised Plato hasn't ever had this sort of food, along with battered haggis & chips and saveloy dip.

The North Western variety can be very good, the best is usually horseshoe shaped in a proper gut casing and is boiled or steamed. The fatter sort is best sliced and fried (not grilled). Black pudding and onion sandwich is an excellent hangover cure.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    edited April 2015
    Monkeys said:

Sell at 5% for as much as I can

Can't understand why people tell those that are uncomfortable eating animals killed for our pleasure that they shouldn't eat meat substitute? Why not?! Who cares?!

We really aren't hurting anyone
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2015
    I can understand the Tories reluctance to talk about non doms but a whole thread on the fat in black puddings is just ridiculous. Can't you all get a room somewhere? That's to say somewhere else.......
  • Options

On topic, I disagree with Rentoul and I disagree with Mike. If the Tories can only win by aping Labour then what's the point? If this debate puts the Conservatives on the wrong side of public opinion then the public are wrong. No big deal about that - one of the purposes of political campaigning is to educate and change people's minds. Besides, Labour's all over the place themselves on the policy, not least because the detail doesn't stack up. Sometimes it's right to pander to public prejudice; sometimes it's not.

As a one-off, this might be acceptable but there's a wholly undesirable anti-rich, anti-success, anti-business element to Labour's campaigning that needs challenging and defeating before it does the country serious harm. Or, alternatively, Labour needs to demonstrate that it would do serious harm. Either way, it's not the Tories' job to implement Labour policies, only more effectively.

I'm hardly a Conservative but I'd say that's spot on.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I think the non doms was such an embarrassment for Labour that they should continue to talk about it until 6th May and let Osborne / Cameron say how wonderful it is for non doms to get away with £90000.

Why would someone pay £90000 ? Because alternatively, they would have to pay more.

Do you believe ed's lie that non doms don't pay tax?
  • Options
    Sturgeon isn't struggling so far. Ruth Davidson not answering where the £12 billion of welfare cuts are coming from.
  • Options
    Osborne defending Abramovich paying just £90000 is great !
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    All lefties on panel going after Ruth tonight,she must be a threat.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Plato said:

welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

Ox tongue is a delicacy. Black pudding is delicious, either with fat or oatmeal. I just love offal in general; it's cheaper, tastier and usually more nutritious than 'normal' meat.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Sandpit said:

The Guardian have dropped the story from their headlines, the BBC lead on the defence of the policy and the Telegraph kick the boot in about their "Independent" advisor being a party member and responsible for Gary Barlow's well documented recent troubles with the taxman.
    Oh, and the policy was "20 years in the making", Gordon didn't do it because he did the maths and realised how much it would cost the country to go for the internationally mobile.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11523489/The-20-year-history-of-Labours-struggle-over-non-doms.html

Plato said:

Sandpit said:

Oh right, so the expert's day job, is to help others avoid paying tax. Priceless.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Osborne defending Abramovich paying just £90000 is great !

You genuinely don't understand, so no point discussing the issue.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

The SNP is Teflon coated. They don't have to raise taxes. They are given money to spend which as it so happens is approximately £2000 more per head than the rest of the UK receives.

Scotland should be independent !
    I'd have thought Ruth agreeing with Nicola on too much would be pretty disastrous for both of them.
  • Options
    Plato said:

The weekly trip to the Grainger Market was the thing I hated most. All sawdust and overpowering smell of blood. Sickly and stuck in your nose for hours.

I lived on lamb chops for a couple of yrs as a small kid - I was very faddy, once I'd got a taste for something, that was it! Funnily enough, I had lamb chops for tea today - haven't had them in ten years, I burned my fingers on them but golly how yummy!

Grilled lamb chops must be one of my favourite things. My local farmer sells excellent Barnsley chops, when I worked in London I used to buy herdwick wether chops from Borough market, they were rich and gamey. Had buffalo curry today, have to say it was a bit like beef only tougher and not as tasty.
  • Options
    It's not about *hurting* - it's that it's not what it tries to be. Like plastic shoes rather than leather ones.

Or reformed chicken pretending to be breast meat. I'm quite happy for anyone to eat whatever they like. I prefer to eat the real thing.
    isam said:

Monkeys said:

Sell at 5% for as much as I can

Can't understand why people tell those that are uncomfortable eating animals killed for our pleasure that they shouldn't eat meat substitute? Why not?! Who cares?!

We really aren't hurting anyone
  • Options
    saddened said:

surbiton said:

Do you believe ed's lie that non doms don't pay tax?
    Non doms do not pay all the taxes which a tax resident and domiciled in the UK does pay ! Non doms , of course, pays tax on income arising in the UK as they should.
  • Options
    God it's bloody shouty.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Roger said:

I can understand the Tories reluctance to talk about non doms but a whole thread on the fat in black puddings is just ridiculous. Can't you all get a room somewhere? That's to say somewhere else.......

We can talk about Arbroath smokies, Cullen skink and other goodies produced by Aberdonian fishwives, and how they greatly benefit us all.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951
    Dair said:

Mortimer said:

Someone has informed you that No won the referendum, right?

Democratically people want Nationalists to run the provincial government. Democratically they also want to be part of a greater Union.

People chose the SNP to run the Holyrood parliaments. It is not a "province", it is a national government.

They choose in May 2011. They will choose and may choose differently in May 2016.

People voted No in a referendum.

They made this choice in September 2014. It would see only correct and reasonable to vote again before September 2019 at the latest if parties supporting this are elected to government.
    Nah, neither correct nor reasonable.

Was the promise of the referendum that it was 'once in a generation', or 'once in a lifetime', I forget?
  • Options
    I love liver. All varieties of it. Couldn't eat heart - it's a bit too visceral for me. Heart cat food smelled very strong and put me right off trying heart myself.
    John_M said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

Ox tongue is a delicacy. Black pudding is delicious, either with fat or oatmeal. I just love offal in general; it's cheaper, tastier and usually more nutritious than 'normal' meat.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ruth Davidson is the closest thing to honest.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The Green guy is just a bit too much of a lefty, even for Scotland.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

Sandpit said:

Oh right, so the expert's day job, is to help others avoid paying tax. Priceless.
    Interesting bit from that article:

Scolding the Conservatives for their approach, Mr Darling said that most non-doms were not the fantastically wealthy creatures of popular myth. In fact, he suggested, barely 15,000 of them had earnings high enough to pay an annual £25,000 charge.

Far from being yacht-owning plutocrats, Mr Darling added, many non-doms were simply middle-class professionals who just happened to have ties to foreign countries. Too harsh a change in their tax treatment would deprive Britain of their talents, their industry, and their taxes, he concluded.

It appears to be senior members of the Labour Party - including Ed Balls himself - who were the Non Doms most devoted defenders.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    As for white pudding, one can make skirlie (coarse oatmeal and onion, basically) if one wants a more herbivorous option. Very good baked and served with roast chicken, too.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Anyone watching the scottish debate? Doesnt seem a very representative audience!
  • Options
    Never eaten buffalo. Saw a fascinating show a while ago about lamb in the USA, it's corn fed so tastes completely different to ours as grass fed.

I never considered that. I don't like corn fed chicken myself, it reminds me of foie gras which is fine in very small portions but too rich for my taste.

Plato said:

Grilled lamb chops must be one of my favourite things. My local farmer sells excellent Barnsley chops, when I worked in London I used to buy herdwick wether chops from Borough market, they were rich and gamey. Had buffalo curry today, have to say it was a bit like beef only tougher and not as tasty.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I love liver. All varieties of it. Couldn't eat heart - it's a bit too visceral for me. Heart cat food smelled very strong and put me right off trying heart myself.

John_M said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

Plato said:

welshowl said:

@Ms Plato

Heart is nice, chop it up and make it into a stew if you don't like the look of it. I once made lambs hearts stuffed with haggis and braised them in red wine and beef stock, they were excellent. One of my favourite breakfasts is devilled kidneys on toast.

• Options
    Non doms , of course, pays tax on income arising in the UK as they should.

IF labour wants to talk about booting out wealthy people so that ordinary folk have to pay higher taxes for the same services, bring it on.

'shifting the burden downwards...'

Well, its a slogan of sorts.
  • Options
    The moderator is pretty crap.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Roger said:

I was hoping for your informed input on the andouillette issue, rog. There is nothing interesting to say about non-doms: Brown, Balls and Osborne have it right - squeeze them but don't kill them off - and miliband's views are irrelevant because he's crap. Fin.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Great cartoon, Marf! I love your banker types whenever you draw them - I still remember the one you did after the banking bailout, showing two elegantly-dressed gentlemen sipping champagne - one says to the other "I've never actually met a taxpayer but I must say they are very hospitable."

(Calm down, Charles, it was a joke!)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Murphy advocating for London Taxes for Scottish Nurses.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Roger said:

The great merit of this discussion is that it does not reinforce anyone's betting biases. Whereas the usual chats go "I think this is an omnishambles for Labour", "I agree", "They need to grow up and adopt Conservative policies", "No wonder Labour are on seven per cent and their leader's seat in South Yorkshire is at risk", and so on, potentially leading to costly biases being engendered in people's betting.
  • Options
    I've turned it off - too shouty and dull.

Anyone watching the scottish debate? Doesnt seem a very representative audience!

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Jim murphy in f*** the english mode over mansion tax
  • Options
    The Conservatives should be pumping out what Murphy just said all over England.
This discussion has been closed.