Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the campaign just about to start new BES polling sugge

123457»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

RobD said:

Tories at 35% despite gaffe-gate or more accurately the PM answering the question honestly.

The bubble need to listen to PB tories more often!

PB Tories are always right, PB Tories always learn. Am I right, or what??!
    You know it makes sense Rodders.
    s'il vous plaît, scrappers!
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    ComRes phone poll?

Is there one coming out tonight?

:lol:
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

A new thread will be going up at midnight, is the ComRes phone poll with some interesting findings and supplementaries.

Nice try, but not enough to tempt me to stay up any longer. 'Shocking' findings, now that would be intriguing.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

ComRes phone poll?

At 00.01
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015

Speedy said:

Roger said:

"I think the BBC are savvy enough to realise this will have political implications for them and their future, if the Tories are re-elected. "

Garbage. Top Gear is a pin prick to the BBC. What's more the chances are that Top Gear 2 will be more popular than the original. Never underestimate the talent at the BBC. Almost everything they have ever touched has turned to gold. Quite simply as a broadcaster thy're in a class of their own

I can give a large list of BBC "turds" that where cancelled, but here is one of the latest ones:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcasts_(TV_series)

The BBC is like any other corporation, sometimes it makes things people want and sometimes it doesn't.
    I agree with you about Outcasts, which was a shame since the scenario of planet colony facing an unknown danger is a typical but none the less classic SF. Having said that it makes you wonder about the dynamics of how it ever got made and the casting, since there was little appealing about the characters, and the story despite the opportunities seemed a bit turgid.
    But frankly BBC drama has to be miserable and about miserable people if it is ever going to get made.
    The trouble with the BBC these days is that even though they once in a while produce something good - Wolf Hall being the most recent example - as a rule they are now being matched or bettered by so many other companies both here and in the US. UK comedy was long ago eclipsed by the US and in recent years they have done the same with drama. The BBC in its current form is old, tired and needs taking round the back of the shed and putting down.
    I have personally watched zero hours of BBC drama over the past year....The best stuff on Sky Atlantic i.e HBO and Netflix shows IMO are just far superior. BBC doesn't have a Boardwalk Empire or House of Cards, that super high quality cinematic experiences, not for 6 episodes but for 18-24 episodes each year.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060

A new thread will be going up at midnight, is the ComRes phone poll with some interesting findings and supplementaries.

Ooooo I wonder what the headline figures will be for this mystery poll that no one has any idea about.... :-)

Did I hear a small cough there?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    GIN1138 said:

Ave_it said:

CON LAB pullaway!!!!!!!!!!!!

Con just 5% away from 40%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So are Labour, but I can only give that 1 '!'
    The report says the tories will maintain there support, but what is it? 35?
    Following the interviews on BBC News of the leaders then I think I would say that the public are moving to form opinions now. They are thinking about elections. Answers to pollsters questions, assuming they are honest, will be based on a real opinion.
    If this 35 is a genuine move up then its good news for the Tories since Labour have stalled, but there is no statistical evidence to say its nothing other than its all just background noise
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Clarkson for London Mayor??
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2015
    SURELY ComRes won't be another tie? Absolutely out of the question.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,240

viewcode said:

I greet the news of Clarkson's sacking with contradictory emotions. He insulted a producer for 30 minutes, called him a "lazy Irish c**t", then punched him, so of course he was going to be deservedly sacked. But I was hoping that some compromise could be found. Who knows: maybe it still will...

Anyhoo, not what I came here to say. My question is "what are the boundaries?". BBC owns the rights to Top Gear, so if, say, Sky transmit a program called "New Gear" in which they review cars and have race challenges, then BBC can sue and would win. If they transmitted a program called "Clarkson, May and Hammond" in which they cook meals and have challenges not involving cars, then BBC may see but would lose. So my question is: what is the boundary? How different from Top Gear does the program have to be for it to not fall within BBC's rights

Given the program format, I would think all BBC can protect is the name and the segments like "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car"...Other than that, I don't think you can protect, 3 middle aged men go on a road trip. It isn't like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, where the format is clear, formulaic and repeated each episode.
    Particularly since the "middle-aged men going on a summer's journey and argue and drink and bang on a bit" format exists outside Top Gear, e,g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_in_a_Boat_(TV_series), or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz_and_James_Drink_to_Britain
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    viewcode said:

I greet the news of Clarkson's sacking with contradictory emotions. He insulted a producer for 30 minutes, called him a "lazy Irish c**t", then punched him, so of course he was going to be deservedly sacked. But I was hoping that some compromise could be found. Who knows: maybe it still will...

Anyhoo, not what I came here to say. My question is "what are the boundaries?". BBC owns the rights to Top Gear, so if, say, Sky transmit a program called "New Gear" in which they review cars and have race challenges, then BBC can sue and would win. If they transmitted a program called "Clarkson, May and Hammond" in which they cook meals and have challenges not involving cars, then BBC may see but would lose. So my question is: what is the boundary? How different from Top Gear does the program have to be for it to not fall within BBC's rights

If you simply build on "Three middle aged guys cocking about -ambitious but rubbish" you are safe.

If you have 3 guys sitting on chairs on a dais saying "Time for the news", or have a "Big star - small car" segment, or deliver challenges in gold envelopes, you could be in trouble.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Danny565 said:

SURELY ComRes won't be another tie? Absolutely out of the question.

SHORELY NOT
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Looking at the way Cameron reacted to the pensioners today, he will suffer badly in any question and answer session with members of an audience. He was flustered and clearly uncomfortable.I almost felt sorry for him. It's not often you can see someone being savaged by pensioners.
  • Options

Looking at the way Cameron reacted to the pensioners today, he will suffer badly in any question and answer session with members of an audience. He was flustered and clearly uncomfortable.I almost felt sorry for him. It's not often you can see someone being savaged by pensioners.

Clearly you have not been down the Bingo recently :-) Pensioners are evil incarnate!!
  • Options

Ooooo I wonder what the headline figures will be for this mystery poll that no one has any idea about.... :-)

Did I hear a small cough there?
    *Innocent Face*

Honestly, I can tell you embargoed polling is going to cause so much stress to a few people during this election campaign.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327
    RodCrosby said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

Well done the French - they've got the black box of the A320...

It will take some time to analyse. What would be worse for Lufthansa - explosive decompression to weakness caused by age of aircraft (24 years old) or a terrorist attack?
    Pilot/Computer error (again) would surely be the kiss of death for these birds...
    I seriously doubt it. The A320 (A318-A321) series is one of the most successful planes in the air, with nearly 6,500 made - that's 2,000 less than the B737, which has been in the air for twenty years longer.

I don't know the figures for hull rate losses per mile, but from memory they're comparable.

There's an interesting table halfway down:
    http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8370/why-does-the-boeing-737-have-5-x-the-passenger-fatalities-of-the-airbus-320
  • Options

Ave_it said:

ComRes phone poll?

At 00.01
    Is that a Tuesday or Wednesday poll; start of the week or midweek? bearing in mind clocks forward on Saturday night or is it Sunday morning.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

Ave_it said:

ComRes phone poll?

At 00.01
    Tick.. tock..
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2015

Speedy said:

Roger said:

"I think the BBC are savvy enough to realise this will have political implications for them and their future, if the Tories are re-elected. "

Garbage. Top Gear is a pin prick to the BBC. What's more the chances are that Top Gear 2 will be more popular than the original. Never underestimate the talent at the BBC. Almost everything they have ever touched has turned to gold. Quite simply as a broadcaster thy're in a class of their own

I can give a large list of BBC "turds" that where cancelled, but here is one of the latest ones:

The BBC is like any other corporation, sometimes it makes things people want and sometimes it doesn't.
    I agree with you about Outcasts, which was a shame since the scenario of planet colony facing an unknown danger is a typical but none the less classic SF. Having said that it makes you wonder about the dynamics of how it ever got made and the casting, since there was little appealing about the characters, and the story despite the opportunities seemed a bit turgid.
    But frankly BBC drama has to be miserable and about miserable people if it is ever going to get made.
    The trouble with the BBC these days is that even though they once in a while produce something good - Wolf Hall being the most recent example - as a rule they are now being matched or bettered by so many other companies both here and in the US. UK comedy was long ago eclipsed by the US and in recent years they have done the same with drama. The BBC in its current form is old, tired and needs taking round the back of the shed and putting down.
    I have personally watched zero hours of BBC drama over the past year....The best stuff on Sky Atlantic i.e HBO and Netflix shows IMO are just far superior. BBC doesn't have a Boardwalk Empire or House of Cards, that super high quality cinematic experiences, not for 6 episodes but for 18-24 episodes each year.
    That's one problem which British TV has in general, that regardless of the program and it's audience it must have 6 episodes max per season (soaps excepted), in the rest of the world that is called a mini-series not an actual proper series, I understand that they do it for diversity purposes but it stifles the full potential of shows, that is why in the rest of the world a series has usually around 30 episodes per season.

The other problem is that most of British TV is made out of quiz shows and many of them featuring the same quests which are usually stand up comedians, so it's repetitive and boring.
    Thank God for Freeview.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Tim_B said:

It's obvious that Clarkson etc really like each other and spark off each other.

I've been working on the theory for some time now that May and Clarkson don't really like Hammond. Not in the case of disliking him, and there's obviously affection (cf their reaction after his accident), but more in the sense of they don't really rate him. May and Clarkson both worked on the 90's Top Gear: May was parachuted in to the reboot when Dawe was eased out in 2003, and I think May and Clarkson think of themselves as equals but Hammond as an employee. That may explain why Hammond has kept very quiet thru this whole thing
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

It will take some time to analyse. What would be worse for Lufthansa - explosive decompression to weakness caused by age of aircraft (24 years old) or a terrorist attack?
    Pilot/Computer error (again) would surely be the kiss of death for these birds...
    I seriously doubt it. The A320 (A318-A321) series is one of the most successful planes in the air, with nearly 6,500 made - that's 2,000 less than the B737, which has been in the air for twenty years longer.

I don't know the figures for hull rate losses per mile, but from memory they're comparable.

http://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/8370/why-does-the-boeing-737-have-5-x-the-passenger-fatalities-of-the-airbus-320
    Sky this evening was reporting they have been involved in 19 crashes including this most recent one.

That said the Airsafe website lists only 11 fatal crashes and has the A320 as the 5th safest passenger plane in history in terms of fatal crash rates per million miles flown.

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/rate_mod.htm
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    The BBC have form on cocking up sackings. Jonathan Ross was booted for Sachs lark. The BBC lost their big guest talk show which is now on ITV with Mr Ross himself.

They end up paying Graham Norton loads to cover for a far worse show.

Meantime ITV laugh to the bank.

This was all before Netflix and the world's no 1 factual tv show being cut loose
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    saddo said:

The BBC have form on cocking up sackings. Jonathan Ross was booted for Sachs lark. The BBC lost their big guest talk show which is now on ITV with Mr Ross himself.

This was all before Netflix and the world's no 1 factual tv show being cut loose

I don't believe Jonathan Ross show does anywhere near the numbers of when he was on BBC.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

viewcode said:

If you simply build on "Three middle aged guys cocking about -ambitious but rubbish" you are safe.

If you have 3 guys sitting on chairs on a dais saying "Time for the news", or have a "Big star - small car" segment, or deliver challenges in gold envelopes, you could be in trouble.
    Yes, that's my reading as well

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Roger said:

That's one problem which British TV has in general, that regardless of the program and it's audience it must have 6 episodes max per season (soaps excepted), in the rest of the world that is called a mini-series not an actual proper series, I understand that they do it for diversity purposes but it stifles the full potential of shows, that is why in the rest of the world a series has usually around 30 episodes per season.

The other problem is that most of British TV is made out of quiz shows and many of them featuring the same quests which are usually stand up comedians, so it's repetitive and boring.
    Thank God for Freeview.
    The original (and superior plot-wise) UK based House of Cards was a BBC production.

I am noticing that shows NOT on the major networks - CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox - there is an increasing trend to have 18 show seasons, like the long ago shark jumping Walking Dead, or to have a split season, with shows in the fall and the spring. TNT in particular does this a lot.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

weejonnie said:

RodCrosby said:

I think now that it was like the Helios air crash, the pilots tried to bring the plane to a low altitude so they can breathe but they didn't have enough time to even put their masks on before fainting, they only had enough time to alter the pitch.
  • Options
    Hope it's worth waiting up for!
  • Options
    Naughty toad meister breaks embargo on kipper slump...
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Hope it's worth waiting up for!

If tories aren't on 40+, in going to comment on Steve Gerrard for tse...
  • Options
    38 seconds to go! :lol:
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653

Ave_it said:

ComRes phone poll?

At 00.01
    [Mr Burns] Excellent!
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Maybe he was taking aback a little by a lack of gratitude. The one group of people that the government has not reigned back with showering with money. The group of people who have it all their way, except for their proximity to death.

They have pensions, private and public that younger people could only dream of, many of them retired at 60 and 65, many are sitting in properties that they paid peanuts for but are now worth so much their biggest concern is that their kids might have to pay inheritance tax. They get free money for winter fuel bills, whether it gets cold or not, they get to travel all over the uk for nothing. Much of their income gets protected against benefit reduction or elderly care charges.

This is at a time when the government is really (and rightly so) paring down the sweeties it offers to working people, with young people been dealt with most harshly.

Its like an immigrant going to a Labour politician and complaining that him and his like werent treated well enough when Labour was in government.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    it is possibly the poll that broke on twitter over three hours ago.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Tim_B said:

It's obvious that Clarkson etc really like each other and spark off each other.

I've been working on the theory for some time now that May and Clarkson don't really like Hammond. Not in the case of disliking him, and there's obviously affection (cf their reaction after his accident), but more in the sense of they don't really rate him. May and Clarkson both worked on the 90's Top Gear: May was parachuted in to the reboot when Dawe was eased out in 2003, and I think May and Clarkson think of themselves as equals but Hammond as an employee. That may explain why Hammond has kept very quiet thru this whole thing
    Clarkson and May can both carry series on their own, and have done so. Hammond had a show on BBC America (Crash Course) and it was apparent quickly that the cheeky irrepressible little brummie meme starts to grate and he isn't as good at carrying a show as the other 2.

But Hamster is an essential part of the chemistry. The 'Worst car in the history of the world' was a good show, but somehow lacked the Top Gear fizz. Ditto last week's Road Trip without Captain Slow.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,090
    Re TV drama, it's not at all odd for small countries like the UK to produce only about six episodes per year per series. After all, drama's extremely expensive. The United States could traditionally afford it because millions of eyes were guaranteed to stare at your gogglebox regardless, but looking at Europe through the eyes of BBC4, we see a lot of brief series from all over the continent.
  • Options
    notme said:

it is possibly the poll that broke on twitter over three hours ago.

Been working, don't spoil it. Is it the last pmqs today????
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and go for Con 35 Lab 35
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    I'm going for Con 38, Lab 33. Have to see the polling line up with the 'I've met no-one who wants EdM as PM' anecdotes soon....
  • Options
    Slow hand clap
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Roger said:

a class of their own

Thank God for Freeview.
    The original (and superior plot-wise) UK based House of Cards was a BBC production.

I am noticing that shows NOT on the major networks - CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox - there is an increasing trend to have 18 show seasons, like the long ago shark jumping Walking Dead, or to have a split season, with shows in the fall and the spring. TNT in particular does this a lot.
    Well House of Cards UK was superior but only because it was based on the original book written by Thatcher insiders and inspired by the Tory government of the day, and it was plausible because of what was going on inside the Tory party at the same time as the series aired.
    Also a book places constraints on how long the series or movie franchise can be.

That is why House of Cards US is struggling after 30 episodes because they ran out of material.
    Harry Potter on the other hand had 7 books, so they easily made 8 movies out of it.

If a TV series or movie franchise is not based on any other publication then you can make it whatever you like as long as you like (example: Star Wars).
  • Options

Speedy said:

Roger said:

America has an advantage in that it is a continental wide country speaking a single language which is the same as ours. Maybe we need more BBC/EU co-productions with detectives in wooly jumpers.

'Now... I know what you'r thinking. Did he just fire off 5 pieces of provocation or six? You know given the late hour an all, I kinda lost track myself. But seeing as this website is a '45 Smithson and the most read political blog in the country, and its online betting resource would blow your head clean off, you have to ask your self one question - "Do I feel funny''. Well, do ya, punter?''
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

There is a Top Gear format show produced in both Australia and the USA, (and bizarrely in the US it's on the History Channel). UK Top Gear is on BBC America.

They all have three hosts.

Neither of the other programs works as well as the UK one, even though they have many of the same challenges and adventures.

What makes UK Top Gear work is the chemistry between the presenters -the big mouthed iconoclast, the long haired intellectual, and the cheeky chappie.

The other series don't work nearly as well because there simply isn't the chemistry. It's obvious that Clarkson etc really like each other and spark off each other. Take any of the three away and the show doesn't work any more.

All of which demonstrates that TV shows evolve and are rarely manufactured. Its no guarantee to swop channels - although, rather hopefully, Men Behaving Badly did improve but that was indeed with a change in personnel.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726

saddo said:

I don't believe Jonathan Ross show does anywhere near the numbers of when he was on BBC.
    Ross rates lower than Norton too.
This discussion has been closed.