Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the campaign just about to start new BES polling sugge

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Quick question as an idea for a side project

Would anyone find it useful to have a website (maybe called propbet.org or something similar) that would allow them to record and betting offers that they make people on websites - basically allow you to record bet proposition, odds, stake, who and where the bet was made?

Some facility for setting a settlement date reminder e-mail and a double confirmation system from the participants to say the bet has been settled and paid out.

Absolutely no money handling of any sort done through the site - just a simpe system to help record gentelamn's wagers.
  • Options
    Telegraph says Clarkson to be sacked.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,938
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Lessen from 2010 coming into Home stretch seems to be treat surges during April with extreme caution.

Except Tory surges, of course. That will be the electorate coming to their senses... :p
    :lol::lol::lol:

Camo's coming home!
    To Chipping Norton on 8th May 2015

Removal Van from Downing St. with GO

They are all in it together.
    I wonder if he'll do a Brown and cut the PMs salary by 25%. ;)
    Might pass a law that for the next 5 years the PM has to wear a badge on all public engagements, with the slogan.

"I is Crap"
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Basil missed the ComRes,he has asked is he still needed for carrying duties.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Alistair said:

Would anyone find it useful to have a website (maybe called propbet.org or something similar) that would allow them to record and betting offers that they make people on websites - basically allow you to record bet proposition, odds, stake, who and where the bet was made?

Some facility for setting a settlement date reminder e-mail and a double confirmation system from the participants to say the bet has been settled and paid out.

Absolutely no money handling of any sort done through the site - just a simpe system to help record gentelamn's wagers.

I would, I've made a few bets on here and forgotten most of them!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

You mean he's moving networks and making a boatload more money?

Poor chap.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

That 9% Ukip bets with me isn't it ? £100@evs

Happy to double up if you are, or more

Yes, that's with me, we've also got a bet on the ICM phone poll being the most accurate pollster on UKIP's GB share of the vote.
    Want to increase the stakes on either?
    No thanks, I've got a perfectly balanced book on those bets.
    What bet did you make on the other side of the ICM one?
  • Options
    Here's one for all the people that said 'IF the farage children were there' 'IF events were as Farage described'

'As a Guardian reader for over 50 years and a Downe resident for over 20 years, including eight years as landlord of the Queen’s Head, I find your article (Big trouble in middle England, G2, 24 March) disappointing, to say the least. This was in no way a political demonstration but an ill-disciplined, attention-seeking rabble with no thought of other people’s safety or enjoyment. They booked the George & Dragon under false pretences for larger numbers and purposes than it is suitable for, thereby ruining normal customers’ afternoon enjoyment

A large number of families use this pub and the Queen’s Head for a peaceful Sunday lunch and social gatherings. Young children with their parents (including the Farage children) were terrified by these events. Mr Farage remained calm during these so-called demonstrations and certainly had no minders, heavies or aides with him. Your correspondent omits the fact that the driver of the hired coach refused to transport the rabble back to Bromley, worried about their behaviour and no doubt his safety. Also, the article does not take into consideration the damage caused to the business and reputation of these well-run pubs. I’m not, of course, going to stop buying or reading the Guardian, but hope for a return to more balanced and objective reporting.

Alan Dear
    Downe, Kent'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/24/ill-disciplined-rabble-in-anti-farage-protest?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options

RobD said:

Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Lessen from 2010 coming into Home stretch seems to be treat surges during April with extreme caution.

Except Tory surges, of course. That will be the electorate coming to their senses... :p

Camo's coming home!

Might pass a law that for the next 5 years the PM has to wear a badge on all public engagements, with the slogan.

"I is Crap"
    I thought "I" was a "fing nob".Quite ironic really that statement. Most people I know local to him thinking Danczuk is one of the biggest fing nobs they have ever met,who has surrounded himself with other fing nobs. I believe they are known locally as Danczuk sycophants, and will do anything to help their leader. Like a Rochdale PB Hodge Squad.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

Yes, that's with me, we've also got a bet on the ICM phone poll being the most accurate pollster on UKIP's GB share of the vote.
    I have a bet with a non PBer about the pollsters that poll both online and via phone.

Is effectively a proxy on the other side of our bet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411

When the BBC cancelled the live events that were worth millions, I think it was pretty clear what was coming.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Camo's coming home!

Another classy move from a poisonous and damaged man.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited March 2015
    MikeK said:

David Cameron heckled by pensioners at Age UK rally
    Watch the Prime Minister get heckled as he tries to answer questions on the NHS at Age UK's General Election rally.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11492100/David-Cameron-heckled-by-pensioners-at-Age-UK-rally.html?WT.mc_id=e_DM7411&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FPM_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_FPM_New_2015_03_24&utm_campaign=DM7411

Cameron dead in the water? What these pensioners are saying is that the polls are so wrong it's unbelievable.

This post has rendered the site almost unreadable on mobile devices.
    Long links screw the page formatting.

Please use url shorteners or anchor tags.

Mods. Surely the site config can be tweaked to fix this?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Here's one for all the people that said 'IF the farage children were there' 'IF events were as Farage described'

'As a Guardian reader for over 50 years and a Downe resident for over 20 years, including eight years as landlord of the Queen’s Head, I find your article (Big trouble in middle England, G2, 24 March) disappointing, to say the least. This was in no way a political demonstration but an ill-disciplined, attention-seeking rabble with no thought of other people’s safety or enjoyment. They booked the George & Dragon under false pretences for larger numbers and purposes than it is suitable for, thereby ruining normal customers’ afternoon enjoyment

A large number of families use this pub and the Queen’s Head for a peaceful Sunday lunch and social gatherings. Young children with their parents (including the Farage children) were terrified by these events. Mr Farage remained calm during these so-called demonstrations and certainly had no minders, heavies or aides with him. Your correspondent omits the fact that the driver of the hired coach refused to transport the rabble back to Bromley, worried about their behaviour and no doubt his safety. Also, the article does not take into consideration the damage caused to the business and reputation of these well-run pubs. I’m not, of course, going to stop buying or reading the Guardian, but hope for a return to more balanced and objective reporting.

Alan Dear
    Downe, Kent'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/24/ill-disciplined-rabble-in-anti-farage-protest?CMP=share_btn_tw

"hope for a return to more balanced and objective reporting"

LOL

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    I suppose the BBC will now be looking to the public to make up the tens of millions they are going to lose every year.

F**k em. They should be made to run as a paid subscription service. Then they would actually have to take some responsibility for the money they spend.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Watch the Prime Minister get heckled as he tries to answer questions on the NHS at Age UK's General Election rally.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11492100/David-Cameron-heckled-by-pensioners-at-Age-UK-rally.html?WT.mc_id=e_DM7411&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FPM_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_FPM_New_2015_03_24&utm_campaign=DM7411

Cameron dead in the water? What these pensioners are saying is that the polls are so wrong it's unbelievable.

I'll ask Robert as technical guru to look into it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    26 mins to 5th EICIPM poll of the week?

Just for fun I forecast a sympathy for Dave 1% Tory lead
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

I have a bet with a non PBer about the pollsters that poll both online and via phone.

That's handy, and you've backed Ukip to get over 9% somewhere too?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

No Ipsos Mori/Ashcroft middle risk :D ?
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Alistair said:

Let me know if you would like to make an app for that.
    Always looking for a new project.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    I suppose the BBC will now be looking to the public to make up the tens of millions they are going to lose every year.

F**k em. They should be made to run as a paid subscription service. Then they would actually have to take some responsibility for the money they spend.
    They will just send a few more people to prison for being too poor to pay their TV Licence. Interesting morals that organisation.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

MikeK said:

[snip]

Which mobile device are you using? It doesn't cause an issue on my iPhone. You can always browse the comments from http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions but you have to live with newest comment at bottom format.
  • Options

When the BBC cancelled the live events that were worth millions, I think it was pretty clear what was coming.
    Yup.

Having been in earshot of some BBC bods last week, the conversation I overhead about Jezza and the BBC was

"The marriage is shit, but the sex is amazing, but you need a loving marriage"
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

They will just send a few more people to prison for being too poor to pay their TV Licence. Interesting morals that organisation.
    When was the last person imprisoned for this?
  • Options

The Mirror headline said cancelled but the article said postponed.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    RobD said:

woody662 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

When was the last person imprisoned for this?
    Averages about 50 people a year. A disproportionate amount of whom are women.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

Or - as I've said before on here - adopt the PBS funding model from the US.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Embrace the diversity!

'Police and demonstrators clashed after a "mini riot" broke out in a busy high street.

Members of the Kurdish community clashed with demonstrators at an Islamic Roadshow stall in High Road, Wood Green, yesterday at around 5pm.

Police were called to the town centre as arguments broke out between the two groups when the Kurdish people walked through Wood Green to the Kurdish Community Centre as part of Newroz - the traditional Iranian new year celebration.

Muslim activist Anjem Choudary, known for being an advocate of Sharia Law, was among groups hosting the Islamic Roadshow stall, who were heard promoting Sharia law and urging Muslims not to vote while handing out leaflets from their tent outside Boots.'

http://m.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/11872146.VIDEO__Police_and_demonstrators_clash_in_high_street__mini_riot_/
  • Options
    @isam - I think it was UKIP over 9.5% but I'll check in the morning.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

Well, we're having discussions, as they say, Populus/Ashcroft should count in our bet, as Populus are the ones who do Ashcroft's weekly phone polls.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

Alan Dear
    Downe, Kent'

Fascists guna fascist.

Looks like those who took part and gave interviews were lying as all of the eye witness accounts confirm Nigel's children were present and the witnesses were intimidated and fearful for their own families safety.
  • Options
    You cannot go to prison for non-payment of your licence fee, but you can be jailed for not paying a fine imposed as punishment for not paying for a licence
  • Options
    edited March 2015

You don't have to do that!

Oh well you can't win or lose much I guess, fair enough

Not our bets but do you know how a Ukip v lib dem vote share bet would be settled if say both got 10% but really it was 9.77 vs 9.9?

Do we go on the actual two decimal places or the rounded headline figure?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,090
    woody662 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

If you are too poor to pay a TV licence, you're too poor to have a Sky sub
  • Options
    isam said:

You don't have to do that!

Oh well you can't win or lose much I guess, fair enough

Not our bets but do you know how a Ukip v lib dem vote share bet would be settled if say both got 10% but really it was 9.77 vs 9.9?

Do we go on the actual two decimal places or the rounded headline figure?
    Historically, I think on PB we go by the BBC figures, which are to one decimal place.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    notme said:

BenM said:

Can someone from the Labour side who thinks ending the spare-room subsidy is so iniquitous please tell my friend why he has to wait years for a house to come available to allow his kids not to be all bunked up in one room? Just because people who don't have a need of the room will still be allowed to keep it - and have the cost for that room paid for out of my friend's small contribution to Income Tax? Because he is spitting mad about it....

Because your lot flogged all the council houses.
    A third of all council house sales happened under Labour, and 2/3 of transfers from councils to housing associations happened under Labour.

The problem we have is not so much not enough council houses, but not enough houses. The population has grown by eight million, and households are more fragmented.

If not a single council house was sold we would still have a shortage.
    But the flog-off-all-the-council-houses policy also came with a typically myopically Tory don't-use-the-proceeds-to-build-more-houses clause.

So, yes, housing shortages really are the Tories' fault.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Ave It

Super Yougov is in Times tomorrow. All I know is big sample of 6,000, close at UK level and big SNP lead in Scotland.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alan Dear
    Downe, Kent'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/24/ill-disciplined-rabble-in-anti-farage-protest?CMP=share_btn_tw</blockquote

Shame there wasn't a coach load of Millwall on the way home from a match to engage them in political debate.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    edited March 2015
    Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    Quite. He'll work out fine, and in fact being sacked by the BBC can only help him in some quarters, whereas whatever the personal feelings of some BBC staff, I am certain the organisation had no wish at all to sack him. Come to think of it, if after the last incident Clarkson had not come out and said 'they've said one more incident and I'm gone' (paraphrase) would they have been under any real pressure to sack him this time? Sure some would have called for it, but it feels like his own words following the last incident put pressure on the BBC to actually do something this time, when financially they obviously would have no wish to.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

Well, we're having discussions, as they say, Populus/Ashcroft should count in our bet, as Populus are the ones who do Ashcroft's weekly phone polls.
    The bouncy castle ones? That's their reputation enhanced, then.

Are we meant to know that, or are you over-communicating again?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Reading that I do hope Evans says no. Not sure it would be a sound career move to be seen to be taking over in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,869
    How do you become a producer at the BBC? Oisin Tymon looks like a gap-year student who's just rolled out of bed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    Quite. He'll work out fine, and in fact being sacked by the BBC can only help him in some quarters, whereas whatever the personal feelings of some BBC staff, I am certain the organisation had no wish at all to sack him. Come to think of it, if after the last incident Clarkson had not come out and said 'they've said one more incident and I'm gone' (paraphrase) would they have been under any real pressure to sack him this time? Sure some would have, but it feels like his own words following the last incident put pressure on the BBC to actually do something this time, when financially they obviously would have no wish to.
    They are not remotely interested in the financial aspect.
  • Options
    BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

Can someone from the Labour side who thinks ending the spare-room subsidy is so iniquitous please tell my friend why he has to wait years for a house to come available to allow his kids not to be all bunked up in one room? Just because people who don't have a need of the room will still be allowed to keep it - and have the cost for that room paid for out of my friend's small contribution to Income Tax? Because he is spitting mad about it....

A third of all council house sales happened under Labour, and 2/3 of transfers from councils to housing associations happened under Labour.

The problem we have is not so much not enough council houses, but not enough houses. The population has grown by eight million, and households are more fragmented.

But the flog-off-all-the-council-houses policy also came with a typically myopically Tory don't-use-the-proceeds-to-build-more-houses clause.

Because no money from other sources could have been used to build houses, in the Brown boom years? Course it couldn't.

• Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

The proceeds could be used to build council houses. Who told you they werent? As long as councils paid of any debt associated with their stock, they were free to build build and build.

PS, the houses sold off still exist. They still have people living in them.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

I never over communicate. It was known that the first Ashcroft phone polls had a file name that included the name of the MD of Populus in them.
  • Options
    7 mins to first Tory lead of week?
  • Options
    BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

Ahem. *Fatcha's* fault.

You need re-chipping.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Ed is doing the school run with ITV camera crew in tow tomorrow morning.

Hope his kids don't play up, or that Rent a Mob doesn't manage to find some an ill assorted bunch of malcontents to heckle him all the way to the infant school and back.

Perhaps ITV or C4 might invite Farage to do a series of Come Dine With Me.
  • Options

isam said:

Alan Dear
    Downe, Kent'

When I worked at the liffe market the soap dodgers used to turn up every mayday giving it the big one... They ended up getting a hiding!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

How do you become a producer at the BBC? Oisin Tymon looks like a gap-year student who's just rolled out of bed.
    BBC have killed their golden goose. Plonkers.
  • Options

Reading that I do hope Evans says no. Not sure it would be a sound career move to be seen to be taking over in those circumstances.
    It'll be dependent if Captain Slow and the Hamster stay or not.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I am literally going to cancel my BBC licence fee if they do this. I don't give a fuck. What are they going to do, put me in prison?
    Only if you dont pay the fine imposed by a court for non payment.

You cant be jailed for non payment of a licence.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    Quite. He'll work out fine, and in fact being sacked by the BBC can only help him in some quarters, whereas whatever the personal feelings of some BBC staff, I am certain the organisation had no wish at all to sack him. Come to think of it, if after the last incident Clarkson had not come out and said 'they've said one more incident and I'm gone' (paraphrase) would they have been under any real pressure to sack him this time? Sure some would have, but it feels like his own words following the last incident put pressure on the BBC to actually do something this time, when financially they obviously would have no wish to.
    I am sure there are parts of the BBC that are, especially given how many times he's been let off before due to being a big name. I find it hard to accept they are not 'remotely interested' in such things. They wouldn't have kept him all this time were that the case.

Honestly, I like Clarkson, and I even appreciate how in contrast to the usual celeb in these situations going silent he's continued to crack gags and the like, but the clamouring of some on the right to frothing levels of conspiracies and rage, and using it as a stick to beat the BBC with when there are much easier things to use as sticks, has been nothing short of insufferable.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

No, they didn't.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I think the BBC are savvy enough to realise this will have political implications for them and their future, if the Tories are re-elected.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

7 mins to first Tory lead of week?

7 weeks to Camo being back for the second term!!!
  • Options
    notme said:

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

The proceeds could be used to build council houses. Who told you they werent? As long as councils paid of any debt associated with their stock, they were free to build build and build.

PS, the houses sold off still exist. They still have people living in them.

The housing crisis is largely caused by (a) increase in population (immigration), (b) Brown's credit-bubble, and (c) damage to pensions making people look to buy-to-let as investments.

Blaming Thatcher for that takes a special kind of thinking.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    RobD said:

MikeK said:

[snip]

Which mobile device are you using? It doesn't cause an issue on my iPhone. You can always browse the comments from http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussions but you have to live with newest comment at bottom format.

Be good if we could select oldest first / newest first as it would save me ages trying to load wads of comments to get to the 1st post on each thread so I can then read I chronological order. Other sites manage it so it should be possible?
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

@thescreamingeagles

I never over communicate. It was known that the first Ashcroft phone polls had a file name that included the name of the MD of Populus in them.
    LOL!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ed is doing the school run with ITV camera crew in tow tomorrow morning.

Hope his kids don't play up, or that Rent a Mob doesn't manage to find some an ill assorted bunch of malcontents to heckle him all the way to the infant school and back.

Perhaps ITV or C4 might invite Farage to do a series of Come Dine With Me.

But will he do a 3rd term as leader of the opposition?
  • Options
    If Top Gear doesn't survive Jezza, the Beeb could adapt its next most successful property, and bring an automotive theme to Dr. Who.
  • Options

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

Ahem. *Fatcha's* fault.

You need re-chipping.
    Yep, all Fatchas fault.

Appalling Prime Minister. Still living with the fallout.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

MikeK said:

[snip]

Be good if we could select oldest first / newest first as it would save me ages trying to load wads of comments to get to the 1st post on each thread so I can then read I chronological order. Other sites manage it so it should be possible?
    Oldest first, view the comments on the vanillaforums website, newest first, view it on pb.com, simples!
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.
    I am sure there are parts of the BBC that are, especially given how many times he's been let off before due to being a big name. I find it hard to accept they are not 'remotely interested' in such things. They wouldn't have kept him all this time were that the case.

Honestly, I like Clarkson, and I even appreciate how in contrast to the usual celeb in these situations going silent he's continued to crack gags and the like, but the clamouring of some on the right to frothing levels of conspiracies and rage, and using it as a stick to beat the BBC with when there are much easier things to use as sticks, has been nothing short of insufferable.
    Well said although I can't agree about liking him. He's a right wing thug but the issue is about bullying in the workplace. No-one else would or should get away with it. So SeanT can froth as much as he likes, if the BBC fire him they've got it right.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Looking at the Clarkson news it seems a good time to buy ITV shares.
  • Options
    20 minutes of being shouted at. Kudos to the producer for putting up with that (suppose he had to). I would have walked off after about a minute.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I am literally going to cancel my BBC licence fee if they do this. I don't give a fuck. What are they going to do, put me in prison?

lol

Fuck em. Let the talent punch the fucking producers, it's what producers are FOR. That's what they DO. Because BBC producers don't do much else to justify their six figure salaries.
    What has him punching someone in a hotel got to do with his ability to present one of the most popular shoes on the BBC?

A show I don't watch by the way! Not a petrol head
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    Sun Politics @SunPolitics · now
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories still tied: CON 35%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%, GRN 6%
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories still tied: CON 35%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%, GRN 6%
  • Options
    All Tied Up.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    CON LAB pullaway!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I can just see the tail of the Kipper going down the plug hole..
  • Options

I said I hope Evans doesn't take it because I like him and don't want to see him fail. And fail he will - particularly if Hammond and May stay. The whole dynamic will be wrong. Top Gear as it stands is dead on the BBC if Clarkson is gone. They can keep the name and relaunch it as another car programme but it will certainly not be the programme it was and I suspect (or at least hope) the Terrible Trio will be making that programme for some other broadcaster.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Con just 5% away from 40%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:

He was the one who reported the incident apparently - what were the BBC supposed to do, given his own comments about 'one more thing and I'm fired' previously? Seriously, what were they supposed to do? Short of going back in time and 'better managing their talent' (a suggestion I've seen), I am genuinely confused what the BBC have actually done that is objectionable in any way. The phrase 'felt they had no choice' seems peppered throughout the piece and is hard to dispute, so as much as some people hate the BBC for all sorts of reasons, I don't even see how this plays into those reasons. It's not even one of those times where if someone doesn't like the BBC it makes sense to blame them for X situation.

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

Well said although I can't agree about liking him. He's a right wing thug but the issue is about bullying in the workplace. No-one else would or should get away with it. So SeanT can froth as much as he likes, if the BBC fire him they've got it right.
    Does that mean Alex Ferguson is a left wing thug?
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

Ahem. *Fatcha's* fault.

You need re-chipping.
    Yep, all Fatchas fault.

Appalling Prime Minister. Still living with the fallout.
    Well done. Your free bust of Karl Marx is on its way with DHL.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

No, they didn't.
    Only half the proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, and they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes. The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England. This trend was exacerbated by a government imposed ban on local authorities using their revenues from council house sales to fund new housing.[8] Both these policies, together with rising rents and cuts to state benefits, have been linked to vast increase in homelessness, when rough sleepers became an increasingly common sight. Homeless households in England during the 1980s, trebled from approximately 55,000 (1980) to 165,000 in 1990.[9
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ave_it said:

Con just 5% away from 40%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    smelling salts on standby.
  • Options
    Kippers going to be sub 10% by polling day?
  • Options
    5th Poll of the week EICIPM
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/councils-should-use-valuable-housing-stock-to-build-more-homes

Read and digest

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:

10-15% would be an excellent result for UKIP compared to the previous GE. Many people were suggesting they would poll low single digits by now.

Hows that majority working out for you?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324

Tim_B said:

Poor chap.

The BBC should not be a broadcasting organisation. There is an argument that there should be some public money set aside to commission programmes that would not otherwise be made: perhaps some education or arts programming.

But it is inconceivable to me that a government organisation should be competing with private sector ones to supply a service that the market is quite capable of providing on its own.

And don't give me that "oh, but we need Radio 4" shit. If there is a demand for it, the market will provide it.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    One problem for UKIP is that during the campaign there will be a lot of talk about opinion polls - they will come to the attention of the wider public much more than they normally do.

If people see UKIP falling, and they also see Con and Lab are close, there is every chance that people who may have been inclined to vote UKIP will "give up" and switch back to their preferred option of Con or Lab.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

He was the one who reported the incident apparently - what were the BBC supposed to do, given his own comments about 'one more thing and I'm fired' previously? Seriously, what were they supposed to do? Short of going back in time and 'better managing their talent' (a suggestion I've seen), I am genuinely confused what the BBC have actually done that is objectionable in any way. The phrase 'felt they had no choice' seems peppered throughout the piece and is hard to dispute, so as much as some people hate the BBC for all sorts of reasons, I don't even see how this plays into those reasons. It's not even one of those times where if someone doesn't like the BBC it makes sense to blame them for X situation.

"what were they supposed to do?"

Make him apologise for his behaviour and put it right with the producer somehow.

Send him on a Respect In The Workplace course.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,324
    MP_SE said:

TGOHF said:

10-15% would be an excellent result for UKIP compared to the previous GE. Many people were suggesting they would poll low single digits by now.

Hows that majority working out for you?
    Who and when?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2015

Charles said:

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

No, they didn't.
    Yes they did

Half the proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, but they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes. The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England. This trend was exacerbated by a government imposed ban on local authorities using their revenues from council house sales to fund new housing.[8] Both these policies, together with rising rents and cuts to state benefits, have been linked to vast increase in homelessness, when rough sleepers became an increasingly common sight. Homeless households in England during the 1980s, trebled from approximately 55,000 (1980) to 165,000 in 1990.[9
    Homelessness is the same today as it was in 1979. Ill carry on that figure for you, it went from 55,000 to 165,000 in 1990 to 56,000 in 2014.

More council houses were sold between 1990 and 2014 then between 1980 and 1990. So there isnt even a correlation for you to draw a false causation from.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And don't give me that "oh, but we need Radio 4" shit. If there is a demand for it, the market will provide it.

How else are our sub commanders going to know whether or not to fire??
  • Options

Fascinating. This is becoming a stalemate - both sides are mobilising and rallying, but despite several assaults, neither can decisively penetrate the defences on the political Western Front.

It needs one side to run out of reserves, and then for that to be quickly exploited with new weaponry, in a final coordinated combined arms assault.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Given him a rise and promotion to grand wizard producer of countryfile. He would have been daft not to have taken it. Now he has won but is virtually unemployable. A triumph of triple losses for all 3 parties. The public sector in action.
  • Options
    perdix said:

BenM said:

notme said:

BenM said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/councils-should-use-valuable-housing-stock-to-build-more-homes

Read and digest

Nope. Housing shortages still the Tories fault I'm afraid.
  • Options
    21 per cent — told YouGov that his comments made them think more positively about him.

This includes a huge proportion of Lib Dems but also many Ukip and even some Labour supporters.

The PM’s standing went up with 26 per cent of 18 to 24-year-olds.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    "I think the BBC are savvy enough to realise this will have political implications for them and their future, if the Tories are re-elected. "

Garbage. Top Gear is a pin prick to the BBC. What's more the chances are that Top Gear 2 will be more popular than the original. Never underestimate the talent at the BBC. Almost everything they have ever touched has turned to gold. Quite simply as a broadcaster thy're in a class of their own
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

The 'better management' is exactly what they should have done. There is a school of thought within the BBC that hated Clarkson no matter how much money he bought in for them and who wanted him out. The prick Danny Cohen is one of them. As such they have been looking at every turn for opportunities to dump him and of course he was daft enough to give them the chance.

Of course they are now going to say they regret what the 'have' to do. But they are the ones who have orchestrated this over the last few years.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

I said I hope Evans doesn't take it because I like him and don't want to see him fail. And fail he will - particularly if Hammond and May stay. The whole dynamic will be wrong. Top Gear as it stands is dead on the BBC if Clarkson is gone. They can keep the name and relaunch it as another car programme but it will certainly not be the programme it was and I suspect (or at least hope) the Terrible Trio will be making that programme for some other broadcaster.
    That is why I believe ITV will be the biggest winner of all this, Top Gear can increase it's operating profit by 20% if it moves to ITV or by a much smaller margin if simply the competition goes belly up, either way the BBC competitors are the big winner of this.

And of course Dave, which will now be the only place to watch Top Gear in its popular format.
This discussion has been closed.