Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the polls performed the last time a charismatic, Eton-e

124»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

antifrank said:

Labour may have stumbled into finding a powerful opponent for George Galloway. Courtesy of Patrick Wintour on twitter, this has to be read:

http://urban-echo.co.uk/exclusive-bradford-west-labour-candidate-naz-shah-reveals-all/

I hope that she makes it to Parliament, because she could add so much to debates that for many in Parliament are purely theoretical.

That is some story. Stark contrast to the usual SPAD - I really hope she gets in. In fact, it'd be quite depressing if she didn't. Over to you, Bradford ...
    There must be a risk that some of her potential constituents feel that she has brought shame on herself and her community by speaking out as she has done. Sadly.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,026
    Pulpstar said:

Jesus Christ! Bangladesh are going to lose this!

10 or 11 an over isn't really all that much to get near the end of a match against an average bowling attack.
    Winning runs to come from Broad. 'Stu beauty!' will be the headline.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

What's particularly odd about Sally Keeble's decision to refuse money from Tony Blair is that she happily served as a minister in his government until 2003, when she was reshuffled out.

I've been speaking to a Labour chap this morning.

The people who refused the Blair money are going to look so principled and honourable were the Chilcot report to leak during the election campaign.
    I don't think that really works for someone who was a government minister at all relevant times.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheWatcher
    I said "may" not will?
    I know you think you can see the future like some "Kwisatz Haderach", but lay of the "spice" a little?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,058
    England at 1.52 worth a tenner here.
  • Options
    Predictable!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Betting Post

F1: Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/3/16854.html

Old news, but, um, Ladbrokes has him at 5 Not To Be Classified.

He isn't racing, so would that be rendered null and void, or is it a 100% guaranteed 4/1 shot?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Pulpstar said:

10 or 11 an over isn't really all that much to get near the end of a match against an average bowling attack.
    Stu plonker ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oops !
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

What's particularly odd about Sally Keeble's decision to refuse money from Tony Blair is that she happily served as a minister in his government until 2003, when she was reshuffled out.

The people who refused the Blair money are going to look so principled and honourable were the Chilcot report to leak during the election campaign.
    I don't think that really works for someone who was a government minister at all relevant times.
    Unless they were at the MOD or Foreign Office they might be able to get away with it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Stu plonker ?
    Fairy tale ending from Anderson?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    England need 16 from eleven balls with number eleven James Anderson at the wicket.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

Labour may have stumbled into finding a powerful opponent for George Galloway. Courtesy of Patrick Wintour on twitter, this has to be read:

http://urban-echo.co.uk/exclusive-bradford-west-labour-candidate-naz-shah-reveals-all/

I hope that she makes it to Parliament, because she could add so much to debates that for many in Parliament are purely theoretical.

That is some story. Stark contrast to the usual SPAD - I really hope she gets in. In fact, it'd be quite depressing if she didn't. Over to you, Bradford ...
    There must be a risk that some of her potential constituents feel that she has brought shame on herself and her community by speaking out as she has done. Sadly.
    Yes, that's why the result will be a judgement on the voters of Bradford West as much as anything else.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Stu plonker ?
    First baller.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Stu plonker ?
    First baller.
    Moores out.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    F1: Alonso's name already removed from the Not To Be Classified list (and everywhere else). I hope my bet stands and doesn't get cancelled/rendered null and void.

Edited extra bit: so, a whole 4 minutes [or less...] of that being up.

If it comes off, not sure whether to include it in the 'official' stats, given the tiny time window.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

England need 16 from eleven balls with number eleven James Anderson at the wicket.

England all out.

England out of the cricket World Cup along with Afghanistan.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    England v Afghanistan in Sydney. Probably a full house as all of Australia come to sledge England.....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

They'll be dancing in the streets of Newham tonight !

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

They'll be dancing in the streets of Newham tonight !

Be free curries up an down Brick Lane tonight!
  • Options
    Shocking bets of our time
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Oops !
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614
    Disgraceful performance by England. Moores has to go. KP may not have been right about much but he was right about Moores. Morgan has to go too. At the moment you seriously have to question whether he is worth his place in the side.

And we desperately need some bowlers who know how to take a wicket.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Unless they were at the MOD or Foreign Office they might be able to get away with it.
    Regardless of whether Chilcot leaks, opposing candidates only have to bring up the issue of Blair's convoluted company structures and curious tax arrangements to gain some negative PR for the Labour PPC.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited March 2015
    Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1

Ed Miliband calls for judge-led inquiry into England defeat by Bangladesh in cricket world cup.
  • Options
    You need one of these really
    http://tinyurl.com/m478dp7
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Stu plonker ?
    First baller.
    2nd actually but nows not the time for correcting errors

Oh well, it was a shambles from way before the tournament started and we got what we deserved

Too much messing about w the team at a late stage but reality was we are not good enough even at our best

• Options

Betting Post

F1: Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix:
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2015/3/16854.html

Old news, but, um, Ladbrokes has him at 5 Not To Be Classified.

He isn't racing, so would that be rendered null and void, or is it a 100% guaranteed 4/1 shot?

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Formula-1/2015-Australian-Grand-Prix/Motor-Racing-N-1z1416eZ1z0rzsaZ1z14167/

Alonso not in these markets - if you got on him not to be classified then well done, should be a winner. Worst that can happen is it is voided.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

Stu plonker ?
    First baller.
    2nd actually but nows not the time for correcting errors

Oh well, it was a shambles from way before the tournament started and we got what we deserved

Too much messing about w the team at a late stage but reality was we are not good enough even at our best

As I said earlier this might be the best thing in the medium term - a total clean out is required.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Mr. Pulpstar, it was removed within minutes of me seeing it. Got a bet on, though.

Reminds me a little of my favourite bet, when Hamilton was disqualified in Spain 2012 (or thereabouts) and I backed Maldonado and Alonso to lead lap 1 at about 5-6 each.

That's my favourite sort of bet. 95% chance of victory, odds of 4/1 or more :D

Edited extra bit: well, I was happier with the bet on Button to win in Canada 2011, but still.
  • Options
    ken reynolds (@kenjreynolds)
    09/03/2015 11:45
    @brucemillington Exhume WG Grace
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1

Ed Miliband calls for judge-led inquiry into England defeat by Bangladesh in cricket world cup.

Surely, promises legislation putting England's duty to win World Cup on a statutory footing?
  • Options
    @Ishmael_X
    David Cameron could advise them to avoid televised contests?
  • Options
    Right, back to politics. There's an intriguing new market on Sporting Index (well, I hadn't seen it before), where you can bet on the Next Government:

"As a result of the 7th May 2015 General Election what will the make up of the next Government be.

0 pts for a Labour Majority
    20 pts for a Labour Minorty Government
    40 pts for a Labour led Coalition
    50 pts for any other outcome not specified
    60 pts for a Conservative led Coalition
    80 pts for a Conservative Minority Government
    100 pts for a Conservative Majority"

The current spread is 49-53. This would look like a fairly clear sell to me, were it not for the fact that Conservative supporters elsewhere seem to be showing irrational exuberance. What do the site elders think?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Ed Miliband calls for the England cricket team to be rebranded as "Scottish" as part of his pre-election deal with the SNP.
  • Options
    @Easterross
    Ireland and South Africa would complain? It could cause an international incident
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Right, back to politics. There's an intriguing new market on Sporting Index (well, I hadn't seen it before), where you can bet on the Next Government:

"As a result of the 7th May 2015 General Election what will the make up of the next Government be.

The current spread is 49-53. This would look like a fairly clear sell to me, were it not for the fact that Conservative supporters elsewhere seem to be showing irrational exuberance. What do the site elders think?

I concur. Except if ICM are right it is a Tory Minority.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,001
    Paralysed by fear of making a mistake. Rugby, football and cricket. It's the great stifler of creativity. Something is amiss in our sporting culture.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,008
    edited March 2015
    https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/574698480557514752/photo/1

A good attack poster by the Tories but I'm struggling to understand why with apparently so much to boast about they've gone on the defensive. It doesn't make sense.

Imagine you were launching the new VW tipped to be Car of the Year. Even a first year advertising student would know that a poster attacking the latest Skoda would be a complete waste of money and probably counter productive.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Ed Testicles in their 2010 Manifesto "A future bankrupt for all":
    we will deliver up to £20 billion of efficiencies in the frontline NHS,
    Ed Testicles just now:
    https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/574885621304553472

See principles are strong in all parties today.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, the Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell has ruffled a few Scottish feathers today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2015/mar/09/steve-bells-if-
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

I think you'd do better to lay Cameron as PM after the election if that's what you think.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, a poor comparison, because buying a car is wholly optional. We *will* have a government, the only decision is its composition.

Mr. Observer, just as an aside, large presses are also reluctant to take risks and tend to play it safe. Similar happens with videogames (hence so many FPS games). XCOM: Enemy Unknown was originally going to be an FPS until there was a fan outcry, and the much altered version that came to market sold bucketloads.
  • Options
    Roger said:

A good attack poster by the Tories but I'm struggling to understand why with apparently so much to boast about they've gone on the defensive.

It doesn't make sense.

Imagine you were launching the new VW tipped to be Car of the Year. Even a first year advertising student would know that a poster attacking the latest Skoda would be a complete waste of money and probably counter productive.

Spitting Image (the two Davids) should be claiming copyright violation.
  • Options
    Blimey.

The Bog Trotters could make it to the knock out stages whilst we haven't.

Begorrah with you English cricket.
  • Options
    Scared Dave resorts to scaring the voters!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Roger said:

The cost-benefit is totally different. One was a fixed lost for small chance of benefit, the other has a fixed loss for almost guaranteed benefit.

If you don't buy a Skoda you could by any other sort of car or no car, none of which are to the advantage of VW (leaving aside that VW owns Skoda, so maybe not the ideal example)

If you don't buy Ed, buying any of the other parties is good for the Conservatives, buying Conservative would be ideal, but buying Green would be valuable as well. Even sitting at home rather than voting Ed is an improvement from the Conservative perspective.

• Options
    Roger said:

A good attack poster by the Tories but I'm struggling to understand why with apparently so much to boast about they've gone on the defensive. It doesn't make sense.

Makes me wonder why Dave won't debate Ed. Surely the LOTO needs to be directly confronted by the PM on this issue.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,511
    Indigo said:

Ed Testicles in their 2010 Manifesto "A future bankrupt for all":

we will deliver up to £20 billion of efficiencies in the frontline NHS,
    Ed Testicles just now:
    https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/574885621304553472

See principles are strong in all parties today.

Norman Smith parroting back to Wigan Pier again.
  • Options

Blimey.

Can we have a guide to which derogatory racial epithets are permissible on PB and which aren't?

• Options
    antifrank said:

Meanwhile, the Guardian cartoonist Steve Bell has ruffled a few Scottish feathers today:

Guardian doing it's best to get the "No" onside of the SNP ;)
  • Options

Makes me wonder why Dave won't debate Ed. Surely the LOTO needs to be directly confronted by the PM on this issue.

We know its all bullshit. If in a two weeks time the Tories have been a couple of points or so behind on the majority of polls, they will suddenly think the debates are a good idea, mean while Labour will go cool on the idea, not wanting to blow a good thing by risking Ed tripping over the lectern.

• Options
    @SouthamObserver
    English shirt lifters?
  • Options

antifrank said:

I concur. Except if ICM are right it is a Tory Minority.
    Betfair prices on next government fits this price exactly, can't really see an edge
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    antifrank said:

Has Steve Bell ever produced anything vaguely resembling a funny cartoon?
  • Options

Blimey.

Can we have a guide to which derogatory racial epithets are permissible on PB and which aren't?

Is Irish a race ?
  • Options

antifrank said:

I think you'd do better to lay Cameron as PM after the election if that's what you think.
    Yep I agree
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

I'm from Norfolk. I don't recall the Scots being particularly quick to get offended on my behalf when all the in-breeding jokes are made, so I'll leave them to join the outrage bus without my assistance on this occasion.
  • Options
    Roger said:

A good attack poster by the Tories but I'm struggling to understand why with apparently so much to boast about they've gone on the defensive.

It doesn't make sense.

If that's defensive I'd hate to see offensive.

It is very adroit. The problem was how to run a personal "ed is crap" attack, without it looking like a personal attack. This is the answer. The strategy of Cameron's odd-looking-at-the-time call to ed to rule out an SNP coalition, then giving it 48 hours, then this, worked a treat. And the poster is brilliant; as I said at insomnia o'clock this morning, compare this earlier effort: http://order-order.com/2015/01/23/new-tory-poster-targets-miliband-and-salmond/
    A real you don't wanna do it like that, you wanna do it like this situation - just everything is wrong with the earlier poster. Notice how they've worked out how if you have no text in the poster, you kill stone dead counterattacks based on altering the text to something funny and putting the result on twitter.
  • Options

Blimey.

That was from an Irish friend.

I also have a Bangladeshi friend who is giving me the full Bjørge Lillelien treatment.

It is an awful day to be an English cricket fan of Pakistani heritage.

I fully expect Lord Ashcroft to have Labour 15 points ahead, it is that kind of day
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,181
    Swapping Essex (English) Cook for Irish Morgan was SUCH a good idea!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,237

antifrank said:

His progressive politics does have a blind spot when it comes to a border crossing - but not always: I fondly recall his Scottish Guinea Pigs in the times of the cholera, or rather the poll tax, many moons ago.

• Options
    @antifrank
    Quite right, stick six fingers up at the swine.
  • Options

Blimey.

Depends if the person using them is in with the right clique, just like the real world

• Options
    Indigo said:

Blimey.

Is Irish a race ?

That's a debate and a half. On balance, probably not. So, I'll rephrase: which derogatory epithets about nationalities are permissible and which are not?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On the Conservative Salmond/Miliband poster, I think they have it slightly wrong. It's Ms Sturgeon, not Alex Salmond, who terrifies potential Conservative voters.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

It doesn't mAtter how good a player they are, if they're not English they shouldn't play for England

We have just been knocked out of the cup with an Irish captain & lost the ashes 5-0 with a star batsmen who is South African

Might as well lose honestly
  • Options

Indigo said:

Blimey.

Is Irish a race ?

That's a debate and a half. On balance, probably not. So, I'll rephrase: which derogatory epithets about nationalities are permissible and which are not?

It was a self parody by a proud Irishman, who points out we keep on nicking their players, just like we stole their country.

And we still can't win.
  • Options

Cook deserved to be dropped, but if England had had KP in the team, I think they'd still be in the World Cup.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Blimey.

Is Irish a race ?

It was a self parody by a proud Irishman, who points out we keep on nicking their players, just like we stole their country.

And we still can't win.
    Use speech marks when quoting or you leave yourself open to people thinking you said it

Or that you're wriggling when rumbled
  • Options

antifrank said:

That's actually one of the few Steve Bell cartoons that has made me laugh. The sheer randomness of it appeals, as does the spittle-flecked fury it will produce from certain quarters.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

Yep I agree
    Good point, both.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

I'm from Norfolk. I don't recall the Scots being particularly quick to get offended on my behalf when all the in-breeding jokes are made, so I'll leave them to join the outrage bus without my assistance on this occasion.

Not sure it's a dig at the Scots; more at petty nationalism.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Smarmeron,

"Quite right, stick six fingers up at the swine."

Brilliant.

As I told my kids ... your mother is from Co Cork and I have Irish antecedents. I'm sorry, but you're definitely bog trotters.

• Options

antifrank said:

Golly I see what you mean. A real Scarfe-like, "This is sturgeon and i hate her" effort.

Lab rattled by SNP shock. They must be loving the Salmond/ed poster.
  • Options

On the Conservative Salmond/Miliband poster, I think they have it slightly wrong. It's Ms Sturgeon, not Alex Salmond, who terrifies potential Conservative voters.

I rather admire both of them - not necessarily for their policies - but for their sheer determination to get to the best for Scotland.

I rather wish we had English politicians with the same guts.

• Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2986066/Lebanese-TV-host-Rima-Karaki-stands-sexist-Islamist-scholar.html

London-based.

I, for one, am sick of this country being used as a base by these people.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,008
    edited March 2015
    Izzy.

I agree with part of that. The first poster was rubbish and the second was everything the first wasn't.

But do people really believe that Ed is in Salmond's pocket and do they care? It's surely superfluous to tell the electorate what they already believe. That he's not up to it......

But more importantly if we have the strongest economy in Europe shouldn't that give them the confidence not to need an attack ad at all and just concentrate on their achievements? Scope for some easy teaser ads ....strongest biggest most successful etc....
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,202
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

So borrowing not going up and lefties blame borrowing.

Clueless.

So the near £600bn this government will have borrowed is your definition of 'borrowing not going up'.

As for the future take a look at page 81 of the OBN's latest forecast:

http://cdn.budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/December_2014_EFO-web513.pdf

it predicts a rise in household borrowing of over £500bn between 2015 and 2020.

IMO very unlikely to happen but the OBN has to forecast that in order for its prediction of a rapid fall in government borrowing to occur.

Whether it is household or government borrowing the fundamental economic strategy of Brown, Osborne and Balls remains the same ie borrow to consume.

Perhaps we should cut the crap.

When you have a Labour government that leaves power with £120bn going out the door every year more than comes in, your choices are a bit limited, either you borrow to pay while trying to sort the mess out, or you cut spending by 30% on Day 1 and balance the books, no danger of that being unpopular, what with the public getting mutinous about cutting the rate of increase, never mind actually REALLY cutting anything.

The mistakes this government made was to give all the big talk on 'austerity' and "we're all in this together" but still want to borrow to fund all its pet projects - Overseas Aid, middle eastern warmongering, HS2, pensioner bonds etc.

And then to lie about "paying down Britain's debts".
    That's about £15bn, where is the rest coming from ?

Are you making the assumption that our military cost us nothing to run when it isn't in the middle east ? They still get paid, still burn diesel, and still shoot things.
    Of course not.

But if the government's not prepared to make sacrifices on its pet projects why should anyone else agree to make sacrifices on what affects them.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,202

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

So borrowing not going up and lefties blame borrowing.

Clueless.

So the near £600bn this government will have borrowed is your definition of 'borrowing not going up'.

As for the future take a look at page 81 of the OBN's latest forecast:

http://cdn.budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/December_2014_EFO-web513.pdf

it predicts a rise in household borrowing of over £500bn between 2015 and 2020.

IMO very unlikely to happen but the OBN has to forecast that in order for its prediction of a rapid fall in government borrowing to occur.

Whether it is household or government borrowing the fundamental economic strategy of Brown, Osborne and Balls remains the same ie borrow to consume.

Perhaps we should cut the crap.

When you have a Labour government that leaves power with £120bn going out the door every year more than comes in, your choices are a bit limited, either you borrow to pay while trying to sort the mess out, or you cut spending by 30% on Day 1 and balance the books, no danger of that being unpopular, what with the public getting mutinous about cutting the rate of increase, never mind actually REALLY cutting anything.

The mistakes this government made was to give all the big talk on 'austerity' and "we're all in this together" but still want to borrow to fund all its pet projects - Overseas Aid, middle eastern warmongering, HS2, pensioner bonds etc.

And then to lie about "paying down Britain's debts".

They are paying down Britians debts.. I just got paid out today for my war loan from WW2 Thanks George.
    I'm sure you'd like to thank him for your share of the hundreds of billions he has borrowed.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Cyclefree said:

I rather admire both of them - not necessarily for their policies - but for their sheer determination to get to the best for Scotland.

I rather wish we had English politicians with the same guts.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

antifrank said:

For as long as I can remember the Guardian has had a slweird snide anti-Scottish side that shines through now and again.
This discussion has been closed.