Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the Copenhagen shootings and the day’s first poll s

Comments

• murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited February 2015
    Sensational poll for the Tories. We can spin in it any way we want but the facts are the Tories are 4 points ahead in this poll....
  • Tory surge now on:

Out of the last 28 polls Tory lead in 4

How many of the last 28 polls have shown anyone ahead outside MOE?

I suspect this one does, but precious few others......
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

For those wot missed it, ELBOW for week-ending 15th Feb:

Labour lead 1.5% largest for 4 weeks
    Labour's 33.9% largest ELBOW score this year
    UKIP have their lowest ELBOW score since 5th October
    LibDem lead of 1.3% over Greens largest for 5 weeks
    Greens lowest score of 6.2% this year

Are you still a peak Kipper denier Sunil ?
  • BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Now that is a truly frightening poll for Labour.

Oh dear. UKIP down, Tories up. Just as was supposed to happen.

This could be the pivot.

Just going away to tuck into some humble pie. May be a while.
  • compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    MaxPB said:

Tory surge now on:

It must be burning you up inside.
    Smarmeron said:

@compouter2
    The Tories are feeling the surge, but it will be a b*gger to clean off of their keyboards ;)

Shares in Tissues - UP
    Shares in Laptop cleaning equiptment - UP
    Basils Goalposts - Down
  • James Forsyth:
    At weekend Labour shadows were wondering how long Tory discipline could hold in the face of a persistent Labour lead, that’s why ICM matters
  • I love the way, whenever a poll comes out that's favourable to the Conservatives, the lefties insist that the PB Tories are all whooping and punching the air about it, and when it reverts the next week, they're then mocked for being suicidally downcast.

It's almost as though lefties see the world in terms of deliberately dishonest 1930s cliches designed to perpetuate poverty for their own narrow electoral advantage, or something.

Vicious cuts.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    Smarmeron said:

@compouter2
    The Tories are feeling the surge, but it will be a b*gger to clean off of their keyboards ;)

New keyboards all round!

Tory surge now on:

TNS had a 6% Labour lead, but that was wisely ignored.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,953
    BenM said:

This could be the pivot.

I'd put it back in the oven on a low heat for the time being... I'm not buying this one.

• john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    Ed needs to keep focusing on tax avoidance as this only hurts the Tories and in any case Labour don't do that stuff.
    "important issues" by ICM

Immigration falling
    Economy up
    Education rising (where MORI has Dave leading Ed on raising school standards)

Explains the VI...
  • TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Charles said:

icm

Con 36 (+6) Lab 32 (-1) LD 10 (-1) UKIP 9 (-2) Greens 7 (-2)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/16/tories-up-six-points-latest-icm-opinion-poll

First the caveat. That must be an outlier/rogue (never sure what the technical difference is between them).

Now I'm going to sit in the corner and p1ss myself laughing :smiley:

Buy Kleenex shares.....
    To wipe away Basil's tears.
  • Swamped at work... but feck me!

ICM = Gold STANDARD.

All the reds over confidence & gloating here at the weekend after 1 supposed good week was a new PB delight...
    edited February 2015
    BREAKING: The Met Office have advised all residents in Merseyside to stay indoors. Apparrently there is a huge cloud of smug floating over Crosby.....
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

Says he who supports Ed Miliband - the geek extraordinaire!:)
  • Tory surge now on:

So, most polls show the parties level pegging, with a couple of outliers?

Thought so.
  • BenM said:

This could be the pivot.

Nah, I think this one will prove to be an outlier... Put the pie back in the fridge for now.
    I don't think there will be enough tissues in the UK if The Good Lord out-Ashcrofts the ICM.

Some PB Hodges will bash themselves dry.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

• Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Here's a hypothesis: the campaign was meant to be about it becoming clear that ed is crap. Perhaps the breakthrough revelation of last week is actually that ed is also a shit? He came across as a real shit in his pmq attack on Cameron, and it has backfired.
  • BREAKING: The Met Office have advised all residents in Merseyside to stay indoors. Apparrently there is a huge cloud of smug floating over Crosby.....

All cats should remain indoors in fear of an attack,
  • Tory surge now on:

That was OK, I think you're thinking of the 11% phone poll lead.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Charles said:

icm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/16/tories-up-six-points-latest-icm-opinion-poll

First the caveat. That must be an outlier/rogue (never sure what the technical difference is between them).

I doubt if the Conservatives were really on 28% in December, or are on 36% now.

Charles said:

icm

Buy Kleenex shares.....
    To wipe away Basil's tears.
    Premature Polling Ejaculation.
  • Tory surge now on:

That wasn't a proper poll, and should be ignored.
  • I love the way, whenever a poll comes out that's favourable to the Conservatives, the lefties insist that the PB Tories are all whooping and punching the air about it, and when it reverts the next week, they're then mocked for being suicidally downcast.

It's almost as though lefties see the world in terms of deliberately dishonest 1930s cliches designed to perpetuate poverty for their own narrow electoral advantage, or something.

Vicious cuts.

Too true. Lefties are sub-human filth. Maybe a 30s-style solution is needed to rid us of them forever.

edited February 2015
    If you think that Lab and Con are basically tied on 33/33 then 32%/36% is within MOE, all-be-it the Tories being +6 is outside MOE.
  • JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited February 2015
    Is masturbation/ejaculation innuendo on the allowable list in the new PB censorship regime?
    TGOHF said:

"important issues" by ICM

Immigration falling
    Economy up
    Education rising (where MORI has Dave leading Ed on raising school standards)

Explains the VI...

Spot on. Negative Punch & Judy [re Tax scams/NHS) can only shore up the core vote. The economy will decide the result next May. And that leaves Labour with no cards.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    BenM said:

This could be the pivot.

I expect there'll be polls putting Labour ahead, in the future.

• TGOHF said:

For those wot missed it, ELBOW for week-ending 15th Feb:

Labour lead 1.5% largest for 4 weeks
    Labour's 33.9% largest ELBOW score this year
    UKIP have their lowest ELBOW score since 5th October
    LibDem lead of 1.3% over Greens largest for 5 weeks
    Greens lowest score of 6.2% this year

Are you still a peak Kipper denier Sunil ?
    ELBOW never lies :)
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Never mind lads, Ed has been on the telly again today. That should move his numbers...

@JoeWatts_: Cash-in-hand row overshadows Ed Miliband's apprenticeships announcement... http://t.co/qigdo9gY7h by @JoeMurphyLondon

Is masturbation/ejaculation innuendo on the allowable list in the new PB censorship regime?

ARF!
    Clearly an outlier (or ahead of the developing trend, as I prefer to see it...).

But is it possible that Ed on the news talking about how rank the baby-eating Tories are whilst Labour are draped in angelic white has maybe, just maybe, led people to think that Ed Miliband is an opportunistic little shit?
  • ICM. It is the hope that is killing us.
  • timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    So the Tories could really be on 39 and Lab on 29?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    edited February 2015
    Smarmeron said:

And here it is, Ed B's actual comment.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02k40z5

Of course the more telling comment was EdB's response, (to an excellent John Pienaar) that for a Lab supporter to structure their donation so as to be tax efficient, was "small beer".

He did not say there was nothing wrong with it in spirit, his only response that vs the Cons it was "small beer".

I love the way, whenever a poll comes out that's favourable to the Conservatives, the lefties insist that the PB Tories are all whooping and punching the air about it, and when it reverts the next week, they're then mocked for being suicidally downcast.

Vicious cuts.

Too true. Lefties are sub-human filth. Maybe a 30s-style solution is needed to rid us of them forever.

Oh dear - you've been eating some of Compouter's sour grapes again
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    edited February 2015
    We are 30 days from the budget (and the start of the general election campaign proper)

If the Guardian/ICM follow their usual strategy, they will poll straight after the budget.

Most of us are expecting the most nakedly partisan budget of all time, if this an outlier, and the Tories go back with ICM, then it won't be the start the Tories want.

If this poll isn't an outlier, and the Tories get a budget boost, then we could see the first major phone poll of the campaign with the Tories around 8% ahead, which won't be how Labour want the campaign to begin.
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2015
    MaxPB said:

Ah, Miliband's face has been splashed all over the media.

No wonder Labour are desperate to keep photos of Ed's nowhere near their campaign literature.

Lucy Powell's strategy of more Ed, more of the time seems to be working as intended.
    The Tories' characterisation of Labour's leader has always been 100% accurate. As a party, they are exceptionally shrewd judges of political character.

The Tony Blair demon eyes poster was a thoroughly fair assessment, now widely recognised as such. Brown they characterised accurately as a vicious, unstable and spendthrift buffoon; Kinnock as a vacuous rambling ginger nitwit; Foot as a daft old fool who wasn't in control of his own wardrobe, much less any putative cabinet.

Whatever they message about Miliband is likely to be equally perceptive.

Labour simply isn't in the same league when it comes to articulating the problem with the other side's leader. They fall headfirst into the trap Don Corleone warned against: don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgment. So they're "good" at articulating why they personally hate the current Tory leader - there was the astonishingly hypocritical personal smearing of Major, the anti-Semitic campaign against Howard, and the incisive critique that Cameron was a toff - but that's about as thoughtful and persuasive as it ever gets. There is no reason why anyone else - anyone morally competent - should hate them for the reasons Labour does.

It is very instructive that we tend to look back on ex Tory leaders as good blokes whose view is worth hearing, whereas we look back on former Labour ones as evil, vicious nutters who have rightly disappeared into shameful obscurity.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I love the way, whenever a poll comes out that's favourable to the Conservatives, the lefties insist that the PB Tories are all whooping and punching the air about it, and when it reverts the next week, they're then mocked for being suicidally downcast.

I'm failing to see the inconsistency here...
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The Tories are between 34-36 with ICM, Ipsos and Ashcroft - phone polls.

• felix said:

Vicious cuts.

Oh dear - you've been eating some of Compouter's sour grapes again

No, I've just been reading Mr Bond's posts.

• SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TOPPING
    The measure of the beer comes out on Thursday from what I gather.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Ishmael_X said:

Here's a hypothesis: the campaign was meant to be about it becoming clear that ed is crap. Perhaps the breakthrough revelation of last week is actually that ed is also a shit? He came across as a real shit in his pmq attack on Cameron, and it has backfired.

I'd say a shit and a hypocrite.

Now there's a good argument for saying that a shit and a hypocrite is *exactly* who you want to lead the country, but I think most people moved on from the nineteenth century a while ago
    I wish I still had an original Tony Blair demon eyes poster. Sadly a lot of stuff got binned in early May 1997.... The heart wasn't quite into being reminded of the pasting we got.....
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2015
    Two things

1) I went to see the theatre production of the Kings Speech at Chichester Festival Theatre. It was OUTSTANDINGLY GOOD> its going on tour its highly recommended. I think its best if you (like me) had not seen trhe film and have nothing to compare to.

2) I was only thinking last night that things were looking a bit grim for the Tories...

I reckon a lot of waverers with interesting bookkeeping practises are getting a bit worried about Ed.
  • Is masturbation/ejaculation innuendo on the allowable list in the new PB censorship regime?

Ejaculate? In our moment of triumph!? I think you overestimate their chances!
  • I feel a PJ & Duncan themed nighthawks coming up

Ant and Dec criticise Labour and Ed Miliband

'Staunchly Labour' TV presenters say the party has lost its way and claim they cannot see Mr Miliband leading the country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11415678/Ant-and-Dec-criticise-Labour-and-Ed-Miliband.html
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Good lead for the Tories. Let's see the next few. Wasn't there an ICM a month or so back which gave the Tories 3/4% lead ?

Any change in methodology ?

My worry about the polling in GE2015 is that some polling organisation(s) are going to have egg on their faces. They all cannot be correct.
    SophyRidgeSky: Why Twitter's reaction to Labour's apprenticeship pledge gives an insight into the election ahead. Me for @SkyNews http://t.co/c9zTMC9zbC
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    All the pollsters are in flux, and the ICM poll is definitely and outlier or perhaps a spoof as the ICM bosses fear of UKIP is now showing up in the polls as well as in words.

In July 2014 ICM also had UKIP on 9% with a fall of 7 points. They are pathetic.

Mind you the C4 attack on UKIP tonight - which is sponsored by the EU - may see that channel in trouble.

The Labour-supporting CWU union has been asked to fund a Green Party candidate standing against a shadow minister.

Any support for a politician opposing Labour would threaten the union's historical link to the party.
    @rosschawkins: "If as a consequence of that the Labour party says 'we no longer want you', so be it." http://t.co/qXptNkPkdf
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    edited February 2015
    surbiton said:

Good lead for the Tories. Let's see the next few. Wasn't there an ICM a month or so back which gave the Tories 3/4% lead ?

No there . The last Tory lead with ICM was back in July, of 1%
  • Ishmael_X said:

Ed has got away with it so far because he's a nebbisch but exposing himself as a scumbag is proving to be an interesting profile raising strategy.

I'm sure he's surrounded by very clever people who know what they're doing. They know how to spend my money better than I do, that's for sure.
  • MikeK said:

All the pollsters are in flux, and the ICM poll is definitely and outlier or perhaps a spoof as the ICM bosses fear of UKIP is now showing up in the polls as well as in words.

In July 2014 ICM also had UKIP on 9% with a fall of 7 points. They are pathetic.

Mind you the C4 attack on UKIP tonight - which is sponsored by the EU - may see that channel in trouble.

dribble
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm laughing at length about this poll. If true it'd be epic - I suspect an aberration of 50 Shades.
    Sean_F said:

The Conservatives would win 311 seats on these numbers, according to Baxter.

I feel a PJ & Duncan themed nighthawks coming up

'Staunchly Labour' TV presenters say the party has lost its way and claim they cannot see Mr Miliband leading the country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11415678/Ant-and-Dec-criticise-Labour-and-Ed-Miliband.html

Have they got any bright ideas what to do? If only they knew of an obscure piece of jungle where Ed could be confined until 9 th May.....
    MikeK said:

You angling for an early settlement on our Kipper over 17% bet ? Let's talk numbers.
  • We are 30 days from the budget (and the start of the general election campaign proper)

If the Guardian/ICM follow their usual strategy, they will poll straight after the budget.

Most of us are expecting the most nakedly partisan budget of all time, if this an outlier, and the Tories go back with ICM, then it won't be the start the Tories want.

If this poll isn't an outlier, and the Tories get a budget boost, then we could see the first major phone poll of the campaign with the Tories around 8% ahead, which won't be how Labour want the campaign to begin.

PB Tory propaganda :)

Ant is so staunchly Labour he voted Tory at the last election.

MikeK said:

Do you actually think ICM is persecuting UKIP? Are you on drugs?

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING
    The measure of the beer comes out on Thursday from what I gather.

Sandwiches is extra.
    Scott_P said:

SophyRidgeSky: Why Twitter's reaction to Labour's apprenticeship pledge gives an insight into the election ahead. Me for @SkyNews http://t.co/c9zTMC9zbC

'Free owls for every school leaver'
  • Off the back of these numbers, if the Tories can hold at least 295 seats and the Lib Dems 25 seats (incl. Nick Clegg) that might be enough for a loose 2nd time-limited Con-LD coalition IMHO. I've no doubt that'd be the preferred LD option rather than a dirty Lab-LD-SNP three-way when Labour had lost decisively on both seats and votes.

There would need to be a C&S deal with the DUP to make that work, and give a small 'effective' overall majority, but a bit more devolution and funding would see to that.

Staunchly Labour Ant who voted Tory at the last election?
  • Tory surge now on:

Was intended to be a VI poll, by TNS's own admission.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    A Tory Wankers eye chart?

Great fontasm

In all the fuss about ICM, I see that the Populus poll is quietly ignored. :)
    edited February 2015

Lord be praised! Finally, FINALLY, a way to tell them apart....
    edited February 2015

I've no doubt that'd be the preferred LD option rather than a dirty Lab-LD-SNP three-way when Labour had lost decisively on both seats and votes.

I'm having disturbing images of Ed, Alex and Nick having a threesome... :open_mouth:

Think I'd better have a lie down!

Bye. :D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31449362

I really don't know why the Israelis bother.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    MikeK said:

In all the fuss about ICM, I see that the Populus poll is quietly ignored. :)

Non-outliers aren't interesting
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Post of the day. I'll let you all pick in which category yourselves.

I should think the alphabetical order L-R pair have tax -efficient investments, being shrewd chaps...
  • @viewcode - apologies, I've been away on leave for a few days. I'll respond to your message tonight.
    In case JackW can't post for some reason, this might be a time to say (I think I have this right)

ED MILIBAND WILL NEVER BE PRIME MINISTER

Ironically, Ant always stands on the left
  • Tory surge now on:

It was a poll of Voting Intention; however it was not weighted so as to produce an estimate of Voting Intention.

Alphabetical L-R

Should imagine they will face a double mansion tax hit - no wonder they are getting ready to rhumble with Ed.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,347
    edited February 2015
    I see that Ed was at JLR, talking about how amazing they are, a model for the country, and in the say breath still banging the tax avoidance / tax evasion drum. I hope he checked that the Tata group has clean hands when it comes to their tax affairs....

"The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) on Friday pulled up the income tax department (ITD) for allowing irregular tax exemption to two Tata Group trusts, involving tax implication of a little over Rs 1,000 crore."

http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/tata-trusts-given-irregular-tax-exemptions-cag-113121300673_1.html

"issued showcause notices to Tata Motors along with three other companies for alleged tax evasion of central excise duty to the tune of Rs 17 crore in the last fiscal (2006-07)."

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070414/asp/jamshedpur/story_7646415.asp

I could go on...
  • Plato said:

I'm laughing at length about this poll. If true it'd be epic - I suspect an aberration of 50 Shades.

Sean_F said:

The Conservatives would win 311 seats on these numbers, according to Baxter.

The Baxtered results are very similar (for the Tories) to the Lebo forecast I heard last week.
  • SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TOPPING

Possibly more caviare and champagne than beer and sandwiches?
    edited February 2015
    Anyone seen Big John Owls?

He's should have Baxtered the numbers by now. Always does when other polls are published.
  • TGOHF said:

Alphabetical L-R

Should imagine they will face a double mansion tax hit - no wonder they are getting ready to rhumble with Ed.
    100 pts to your team if you know which was PJ and which Duncan
  • GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

It must be an outlier because it doesn't agree with MikeK. The election will probably be an outlier too.
  • Tory surge now on:

It was a poll of Voting Intention; however it was not weighted so as to produce an estimate of Voting Intention.
    And you would feel the same way if it (for argument's sake) it suggested a TORY lead of 11?
  • TGOHF said:

Alphabetical L-R

Whereas Ed Miliband stands on the left and David Miliband stands on the right. However they are rarely pictured together these days. Psyche.
  • MikeK said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31449362

I really don't know why the Israelis bother.

Maybe because their doctors are civilised.
  • PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    Gotta laugh at some of the responses to the poll. MikeK 'ICM are pathetic' is lmao.

Might be an outlier though. If its not it would put the Tories a whisker from an outright majority and that's before their election budget.

Cripes, said this morning its a hard election to call. Money to be had but also big bucks to be squandered. Spreads monitored hawkishly = answer.
  • Tory surge now on:

And you would feel the same way if it (for argument's sake) it suggested a TORY lead of 11?
    Yes of course I would. It's ludicrous that it's still on Wikipedia. Suit yourselves, though.

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

It must be an outlier because it doesn't agree with MikeK. The election will probably be an outlier too.
    No, no, it's not an outlier. It's part of an EU funded conspiracy to to do UKIP down...

• GIN1138 said:

I've no doubt that'd be the preferred LD option rather than a dirty Lab-LD-SNP three-way when Labour had lost decisively on both seats and votes.

I'm having disturbing images of Ed, Alex and Nick having a threesome... :open_mouth:

Think I'd better have a lie down!

Bye. :D
    I'm sure Nicola Sturgeon would be involved too.
  • Plato said:

A Tory Wankers eye chart?

Great fontasm

OUTLIER-TASTIC :)
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:

lol.

Best PB comment of all time :)

Anyone seen Big John Owls?

He's should have Baxtered the numbers by now. Always does when other polls are published.

He's updating his CV. May have to go back to work to fund his political betting losses...

But which one is he?

• isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

If this poll was the result then I would lose quite a lot of money!

Then again, if 99% of the polls this year were right I would win quite a lot...

Were you not anticipating the polls moving?
    They move every day don't they?
This discussion has been closed.