Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three months to go and focus moves to what should be good f

124»

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Alistair said:

In the Times tomorrow, Andy Burnham says Starbucks, Google & Amazon have damaged the fabric of our life

Christ,what's happening with labour,every time they open the mouths,putting foot in it.

You do realize all this "anti business" stuff is playing brilliantly on the left?
    Yep,core vote strategy.

Designed to attract core Labour voters like yourself Tyke. Red in tooth and claw. Blue in vote, temporarily.
    Labour have lost me until they get rid of the idiots at top of the party,more tough on immigration and the EU(referendum)

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited February 2015

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL
    Rugby will probably mate with American Football, and they will have a very ugly child.

Apparently the average career at the top of American football is about 3 years due to injuries, and they wear armour and crash helmets.
    Removing the armour and crash helmets would probably extend their careers, they have a tackling style that leads with their heads.
    Spearing is illegal and dangerous.
    I'm not talking about spearing, the standard AF tackle puts a player's head on the wrong side from a rugby perspective.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,934
    France+Germany+UK=Great
  • Options

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL
    Rugby will probably mate with American Football, and they will have a very ugly child.

Apparently the average career at the top of American football is about 3 years due to injuries, and they wear armour and crash helmets.
    Removing the armour and crash helmets would probably extend their careers, they have a tackling style that leads with their heads.
    Unless you're the All Blacks.

Sorry, I'm still never forgiving them for the spear challenge on Brian O'Driscoll.
    Amen
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Please someone catch Ed M offguard with a question on what he thinks when he sees a nun.

Miliband: I Feel Respect When I See a White Van http://t.co/zlAmQgIyT7 https://t.co/7M9KRb5XXi

— Guido Fawkes (@GuidoFawkes) November 21, 2014

Yawn. Keep flogging the nun.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,456
    SeanT said:

Dair said:

Dair says -- ''The UK is not "my country". And even if it were, I fail to see how tokenistic power projection has any bearing on one's "love" for country.''

I see what you did there - although it may be that you are as pig ignorant as you sound. A total misrepresentation of the facts motives and outcomes is not uncommon even on here, but you take the biscuit.
    The UK is not a backwarter
    The UK is not engaged in tokenism
    The UK is not engaged in power projection - which I take to mean selfish domination.

I see very little wrong with admiration of one's country for its selfless activities in supporting its NATO and UN treaty obligations which are primarily involved either bringing or supporting democracy to those parts of the world which need it.

In many ways it is far preferable, removing the terrorist target which the UK insists on painting on it's back. But backwater it is, it is not the UK which is leading negotiations in Moscow, the leader in Europe is Germany, followed by France, in fact the UK refuses to accept any real role in Europe due to the infectious disease of base xenophobic racism which pervades vast swathes of the nation.

Power projection is the ability for a country to exert military influence outside that of a narrow Home Defense role. The UK is sorely lacking in this role, the utter embarrassment of the failed Helmand operations demonstrate just how ill-equipped and ill-suited the British Army is to any sort of functional role in military operations.

This is a country with a single squadron of Generation 6 Fighter Aircraft and with no Generation 6 Air Superiority platform. Without a single Fast Jet operational Aircraft Carrier. With no operational strategic bomber capability and a woefully outdated tactical bomber capability. Does the standard issue rifle even work yet?

The UK has had no role I can think of in international relations in the last 20 years. It doesn't lead, it follows the US and does so on a much weaker and ineffectual basis.

Love the UK if you wish. But seriously, try to be at least a bit realistic of where the country stands in the world today and what influence and capability it actually has.
    We are a second order power, a major but not great power, like our European neighbours. This has been the case for some time, and will remain the case for the foreseeable.
    Indeed - I actually get a little angry when people write Britain off as nothing, or deride us for having any sort of pretensions to more than regionalist interests, since as you say we are still a major player. Not a superpower, but we're not inconsequential either.

• Options

Alistair said:

In the Times tomorrow, Andy Burnham says Starbucks, Google & Amazon have damaged the fabric of our life

Christ,what's happening with labour,every time they open the mouths,putting foot in it.

You do realize all this "anti business" stuff is playing brilliantly on the left?
    Yep,core vote strategy.

Designed to attract core Labour voters like yourself Tyke. Red in tooth and claw. Blue in vote, temporarily.
    Labour have lost me until they get rid of the idiots at top of the party,more tough on immigration and the EU(referendum)

And the two policies I named,isn't leftwing or rightwing,it's just right.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL

Surely that is part of the issue, as armour and helmets allow them to throw more force at each other.
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Speaking as a Scot that English pack is truly frightening.

Wait until that 23st prop comes on as a sub for France tomorrow.
    I know, modern international rugby is ridiculous. No wonder modern players spend so much time injured.
    Right. A team weight limit is required asap – the arms race over pack weights needs sorting.
    It is a good idea if the game is going to survive in anything like its traditional form.
    The transition of Rugby Union to being indistinguishable from Rugby League is an inevitable outcome of professionalism. They can keep postponing it with fudges and rule changes but at some point the inevitability of uncontested scrums and play the balls will happen.
    As long as they don't have the six tackles rule, or whatever its called, it should be ok. Though I never understood why, if the scrums are to be uncontested, you don't just restart play some other way - you're just making 4 people bend over and lock arms for no reason.
    You need a possession limit if you don't have contested rucks, mauls and scrums.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited February 2015
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL

I'm not talking about spearing, the standard AF tackle puts a player's head on the wrong side from a rugby perspective.
    I see your point. But the AF tackle is not designed to control the ball, but to stop the play. I was taught to aim at a spot 3 ft beyond the target and try to hit it.

Edit: but I would never lead with my head... That would hurt me more.
  • Options

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL

Unless you're the All Blacks.

Sorry, I'm still never forgiving them for the spear challenge on Brian O'Driscoll.
    Amen
    One of the worst things I have ever seen in sport, truly shocking.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,456
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL

Surely that is part of the issue, as armour and helmets allow them to throw more force at each other.
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I know, modern international rugby is ridiculous. No wonder modern players spend so much time injured.
    Right. A team weight limit is required asap – the arms race over pack weights needs sorting.
    It is a good idea if the game is going to survive in anything like its traditional form.
    The transition of Rugby Union to being indistinguishable from Rugby League is an inevitable outcome of professionalism. They can keep postponing it with fudges and rule changes but at some point the inevitability of uncontested scrums and play the balls will happen.
    As long as they don't have the six tackles rule, or whatever its called, it should be ok. Though I never understood why, if the scrums are to be uncontested, you don't just restart play some other way - you're just making 4 people bend over and lock arms for no reason.
    You need a possession limit if you don't have contested rucks, mauls and scrums.
    Keep the rucks and mauls then - not as immediately dangerous as a scrum I'd guess. Games have no rythym or narrative in League that I've seen (and some games of it I have enjoyed to be fair), it's all one side runs, then the other, then the other again and so on and so forth, rinse and repeat. Gets dull.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dair said:

Dair says -- ''The UK is not "my country". And even if it were, I fail to see how tokenistic power projection has any bearing on one's "love" for country.''

I see what you did there - although it may be that you are as pig ignorant as you sound. A total misrepresentation of the facts motives and outcomes is not uncommon even on here, but you take the biscuit.
    The UK is not engaged in power projection - which I take to mean selfish domination.

I see very little wrong with admiration of one's country for its selfless activities in supporting its NATO and UN treaty obligations which are primarily involved either bringing or supporting democracy to those parts of the world which need it.

In many ways it is far preferable, removing the terrorist target which the UK insists on painting on it's back. But backwater it is, it is not the UK which is leading negotiations in Moscow, the leader in Europe is Germany, followed by France, in fact the UK refuses to accept any real role in Europe due to the infectious disease of base xenophobic racism which pervades vast swathes of the nation.

Power projection is the ability for a country to exert military influence outside that of a narrow Home Defense role. The UK is sorely lacking in this role, the utter embarrassment of the failed Helmand operations demonstrate just how ill-equipped and ill-suited the British Army is to any sort of functional role in military operations.

[SNIP]

Britain is clearly no longer a great power, but nor is France, or Germany, or even Japan. All are dwarfed by America and China, the two superpowers (with China overtaking the USA).

We are a second order power, a major but not great power, like our European neighbours. This has been the case for some time, and will remain the case for the foreseeable. Not sure where you're going with all yer greetin'.
    France is the wealthiest country in Europe, and the fourth in the world, in terms of assets per household.

People in the UK don't seem to grasp just how rich a nation it is.
  • Options

WTF is Miliband doing with his letter about tax havens? Is he trying to drive the last business out of Britain? I know it is playing to his anti-business theme - but it is a dangerous, dangerous path.

Why would a business be harmed simply by having to state who its ultimate beneficial owner(s) is(are)?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

I agree that they yours aren't rightwing positions. I'm pro-EU and immigration because it suits my business but I don't see either as leftwing - quite the opposite in fact .
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kle4 said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Smarmeron said:

DavidL

Dair said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Keep the rucks and mauls then - not as immediately dangerous as a scrum I'd guess. Games have no rythym or narrative in League that I've seen (and some games of it I have enjoyed to be fair), it's all one side runs, then the other, then the other again and so on and so forth, rinse and repeat. Gets dull.
    As I understand it (and feel free to correct me if wrong) the less structured rucks and mails are where most of the injuries occur, certainly far more than in the structured scrums.

The thing people forget is that when the Northern Union broke away to introduce professionalism, it was the SAME GAME. The rule changes in RL were all a result of the changes required by professionalism. We know the path Rugby Union will inevitably follow because we have already seen it.
  • Options

WTF is Miliband doing with his letter about tax havens? Is he trying to drive the last business out of Britain? I know it is playing to his anti-business theme - but it is a dangerous, dangerous path.

Why would a business be harmed simply by having to state who its ultimate beneficial owner(s) is(are)?

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,664
    I would be wary of things like tackle limits.

The absolute highlight of tonight's match was the English try immediately after the interval. Hard, persistent, patient, attacking rugby. Really excellent and surely demoralising for the Welsh who were never the same again.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

I agree that they yours aren't rightwing positions. I'm pro-EU and immigration because it suits my business but I don't see either as leftwing - quite the opposite in fact .
    How does being pro immigration suit your business?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

Did you wave your fist at the laptop whenyou typed that?
  • Options
    Nungate, will that have the same effect as the Mansion Tax Riots?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

Means I can get great staff from every EU nation without faffing around endlessly with the Home Office and running the gauntlet of immigration legislation. I wish the rules were extended to the Commonwealth, as they are currently very restrictive.

I just want to hire the best person for the job – I don't care what country they are from.
  • Options
    January's monthly "Super-ELBOW":

43 polls with field-work end-dates between 1st Jan and 31st Jan, total weighted samples 49,086.

(change from December in brackets)

Lab 33.3% (-0.4%)
    Con 32.1% (+0.1%
    UKIP 15.2% (-0.3%)
    LD 7.3% (-0.1%)
    Green 6.5% (+0.5%)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/562607174619529216

• Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

One day my dear comp,the labour party will have those views has policy and the tim's of this world will have to rejoin the lib dems ;-)

• Options

Probably. It has actually become laughable how everything is painted as an utter disaster for Labour by the PB Tories. It was the comedy factor that contributed to my deciding to come back for a bit.

That and the fact that I love the PB Tories – my life feels incomplete without them.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,026
    @sunil how is this weeks Elbow looking so far?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

One day my dear comp,the labour party will have those views has policy and the tim's of this world will have to rejoin the lib dems ;-)

I can see why people aren't keen on immigration in areas where decent jobs are scarce. Another reason why London should have its own laws – without immigrants we'd be fucked.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067
    Rugby players do indeed seem to be getting humoungous !

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Probably. It has actually become laughable how everything is painted as an utter disaster for Labour by the PB Tories. It was the comedy factor that contributed to my deciding to come back for a bit.

That and the fact that I love the PB Tories – my life feels incomplete without them.
    Indeed, in the great US immigration debate, businesses are invariably pro-immigration, particularly farm and high-tech sectors.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

Means I can get great staff from every EU nation without faffing around endlessly with the Home Office and running the gauntlet of immigration legislation. I wish the rules were extended to the Commonwealth, as they are currently very restrictive.

I just want to hire the best person for the job – I don't care what country they are from.
    And keep your wage bill low, Bob Crow knew what was happening. What business are you in?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    MTimT said:

Indeed, in the great US immigration debate, businesses are invariably pro-immigration, particularly farm and high-tech sectors.
    Oops, wrong quote, right addressee
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

.....and when it does me and thee can meet at Conference and reminisce about our greatest Stuart McCall moments.
  • Options

Without their entertainment on here, the place just wouldn't be the same. I almost want another 1% Tory poll lead to see another polling Torygasm on here, then watch them all fall back down the polling crossover hill....again.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

And keep your wage bill low, Bob Crow knew what was happening. What business are you in?
    That would be telling.

The wages I pay to immigrants are no lower than those to British citizens, and in some cases they have been considerably higher.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Dair said:

military operations.

[SNIP]

Britain is clearly no longer a great power, but nor is France, or Germany, or even Japan. All are dwarfed by America and China, the two superpowers (with China overtaking the USA).

We are a second order power, a major but not great power, like our European neighbours. This has been the case for some time, and will remain the case for the foreseeable. Not sure where you're going with all yer greetin'.
    France is the wealthiest country in Europe, and the fourth in the world, in terms of assets per household.

People in the UK don't seem to grasp just how rich a nation it is.
    Assets per household? WTF is that? Number of garlic crushers? Size of quiche dishes?

Presumably you mean something like "wealth per adult", where, on SOME rankings, France comes fourth, but on others it comes sixth or twelfth or whatever, depending on whether you use mean, median, and so forth. And all these stats refer to 2013, when the euro was strong (it is now falling).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult

It is, anyway, a ludicrous stat. The idea that the average Frenchman is richer than the average German, Norwegian, Swiss, Luxembourgeouis, Austrian, Monagesque, or Swede can be disproved by a quick visit to the slums of Paris or Marseilles, then trying to find equivalent deprivation in Vienna or Oslo. Hint: you won't find it, because it isn't there.

France is a rich country, but has poor growth and too much debt. Britain is a rich country, and has better growth but even more debt. Germany blah blah blah.

All the major European countries are pretty much the same, and have equivalent political influence in the world. Arguably Britain has more soft power - language and culture - than any of its EU neighbours.

But we all decline, relative to China.

Number of Le Creuset saucepans per kitchen. Derrr.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

January's monthly "Super-ELBOW":

43 polls with field-work end-dates between 1st Jan and 31st Jan, total weighted samples 49,086.

(change from December in brackets)

Lab 33.3% (-0.4%)
    Con 32.1% (+0.1%
    UKIP 15.2% (-0.3%)
    LD 7.3% (-0.1%)
    Green 6.5% (+0.5%)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/562607174619529216

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE. I thought January was Polling Crossover Month, where the Tory Party would crossover and pull away*. I see no crossover on that there graph.

*As jointly copyrighted by PB Hodges and some Ratbag tweeter from The Scum quoting Tory HQ.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    Scottish betting

Did we miss this article from earlier today?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/02/the-snp-are-doing-even-better-than-you-thought/

The author agrees with antifrank and others who have suggested the SNP surge is efficiently distributed, maximising their chances of taking lots of seats off Labour.
  • Options

@sunil how is this weeks Elbow looking so far?

So far (with a couple of polls left to come), Lab have a 1.4% lead.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Yep,core vote strategy.

That would be telling.

The wages I pay to immigrants are no lower than those to British citizens, and in some cases they have been considerably higher.

Where do you advertise or recruit from? Overseas or the UK?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067

Scottish betting

Did we miss this article from earlier today?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/02/the-snp-are-doing-even-better-than-you-thought/

The author agrees with antifrank and others who have suggested the SNP surge is efficiently distributed, maximising their chances of taking lots of seats off Labour.

Question - When I go to

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/ad_146375020.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

It shows East Dunbartonshire at 39% Yes,

But when I look at http://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/content/council_and_government/councillors_politics_elections/elections_and_voting/sir_2014.aspx

I calculate the Yes% at 43... - Which is right ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,329
    SeanT said:

Last month the UK's GDP overtook that of France in size, making Britain the 5th largest economy in the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11313327/Britain-edges-past-France-on-world-stage.html

Dair is correct, and your response is instructive. He was making a military point, and gave military examples (Helmand) where we had a goal and failed. In response you made a mercantile point: namely, we have the 5th largest GDP in the world. Your point was truthful but was also a non-sequitur. Wealth is meaningless without the ability to defend that wealth, to impose the law and order (contract law, property rights, etc) to enable wealth to be stored, used and grow. We have forgotten that it can be taken from us violently.

We have several current strategic threats: Russian use of hybrid warfare to expand westwards, the increasingly dysfunctional European Union, militant Islamism, US disengagement from Europe, sea lanes dominated by pirates, etc. We do not have credible responses to these threats. Instead we run away (Better Off Out), blame the victim (it's Ukraine's fault!), or ignore them.

I have my ideas about what should be done but that's just me banging on on the Internet. My point is that your response, whilst truthful, did not deal with the point Dair was making.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381

There's a widening gap between the disasters perceived by Tory commentators here and elsewhere and the immobile polls, and the market moves reflect the former, as Tory punters convince themselves that each derided event must have an impact soon - or if not, then at the last moment in the polling booths.

I've been in that state too in the past, and it's delusional. One grabs at evanescent events and fleeting subsamples to prove that things are starting to move when they really aren't. It's a happy state, but unwise for punters. In general people vote in the polling booths pretty much as they said they were going to vote in the preceding months.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

On the narrower point of military force, I'm still not sure I agree. The UK is diminished, but this is because other powers are rising, we are not absolutely declining: the UK is, still, about 4th, 5th or 6th in the world in terms of defense spending.

Defense??
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But Dair was trying to claim that the UK is an insignificant power, some kind of drizzly Finland, or mistier Gabon. This is ridiculous, when the UK is (however temporarily) the 5th largest economy in in the world. Because all power springs, in the end, from economic wealth (no matter how many nukes the Soviets had, they still went bust).

On the narrower point of military force, I'm still not sure I agree. The UK is diminished, but this is because other powers are rising, we are not absolutely declining: the UK is, still, about 4th, 5th or 6th in the world in terms of defense spending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Which makes us about 5th in the world in military power. i.e. We cannot come close to matching America (and, soon, China) but we are hardly a pygmy either.

What we are doing is spending our money quite badly (far too many generals and admirals). We should also be spending, probably, a little more.

What we REALLY don't need is a war with Russia. Pointless and stupid.

You seem to be making my point for me. Regardless of other considerations, the UK has around the 5th largest military budget in the world but couldn't complete a commission in Helmand, one small province of one small, backward country. Regardless of how much Britain is spending and how large the UK economy is, the only conclusion that can logically be held is that the UK is insignificant militarily.

In addition to the abject failure of Britain's attempts at power projection, it cannot even defend it's own Home interests. There is no operational naval reconnaissance aircraft in home waters allowing Russian vessels to sail merrily up the Clyde, there is no military patrol in Scottish waters AT ALL, there isn't even enough Inshore Naval force to handle customs and territorial matters.

The simple truth of the matter is that no matter how strong the UK's economy is and no matter how much of its budget it spends on materiel and personnel, it has no ability to carry on power projection but pretends that it can. It is both delusional and foolhardy to pretend otherwise.

Not to mention an act of economic madness to contemplate spending your way into such a role.
This discussion has been closed.