Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After the Bashir move from UKIP to CON Marf gives her view

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,237

rcs1000 said:

That doesn't mean that Euro exit is not still the best long-term option for Greece, but the short term pain would be enormous.

Five years ago I said here that Greece has a third world level of wealth creation but a belief that it deserves a first world level of wealth consumption.

It seems that the resolution of this imbalance is about to happen.

Either the EU gives in and funds economically unjustifiable living standards in Greece or Greek living standards change from being comparable to Italy's to being comparable to Turkey's.
    Of course, if Greece exists the Euro and become a third world country, it must reduce the likelihood of Spain/Italy/etc. leaving the Euro...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Golden Dawn also missing out on a remainder seat at the moment, could snatch it from ND though...
  • Options
    ' The report has criticized the Government for calculating how much future payments will be worth in today’s money terms by using what its author describes as an “insanely high” measure of inflation, as measured by RPI, plus 2.2pc – a measure decided upon in 2010.
    By assuming a higher rate of inflation, future repayments appear lower. '

Is that the same RPI that the government says shouldn't be used but uses itself when it suits its purposes ?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

Looks like the pollsters were spot on for Greece.

Also O/T

Labour and SNP now Evens the pair in West Dunbartonshire.

That's a seat where Labour start off 40% ahead of the SNP - SLAB is going to be in for a rough night in May methinks.

A few others have also changed to SNP or evens. Inverclyde, Aberdeen South, Ayrshire North, Edinburgh East, Livingston, Stirling.

SNP is now favourite or joint favourite in 25 seats, Labour 30, LD 3, Con 1
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Of course, if Greece exists the Euro and become a third world country, it must reduce the likelihood of Spain/Italy/etc. leaving the Euro...

I don't remember us becoming a third world country when we crashed out of the ERM.

The associated massive devaluation will make Greek products and services cheap and imports expensive, which is what Greece needs to recover.

If Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. follow suit then Germany are in trouble as the artifiically low Euro currency which makes German goods artificially cheap will rise significantly.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited January 2015

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Nigel Farage: "An extra £3bn a year for the NHS, funded out of the fact that we will not be paying daily membership fees to the European Union"

Norway pays a figure but because it is not in the EU itself it does not get anything back. Its gross payment last time I looked made it the 10th largest net contributor. Its about 350 million Euro.
    The UK GPD is bigger than Norways so our contribution pro rata would be about 2 billion, and we do get 5 billion back from the EU currently. This is less than our current net contribution. Which is about 11 - thanks to Blair giving away our rebate. It may be a good idea. I have nothing against it in principal. But all it means is that the EU is still there and influencing us and we have no say. This may still be the best thing but in terms of any real difference its relatively small.
    The UK is in fact well down the table of net contributions per capita with Sweden Cyprus and Malta below us.
    Another of Flightpath's perennial myths - the idea that EEA members have no say over the rules. As I pointed out several weeks ago this is rubbish.

Oh and copying the figures I used earlier to pretend you know something about our EU contributions really doesn't disprove the fact that you are commenting on a subject about which you are utterly ignorant.
    I would not dream of copying figures from you.
    How many MEPs does Norway have
    How many commissioners does it have?
    How many votes does it have?
    A trade deal with the EU involves the single market involves free movement of labour and contributions to various funds. We are not transatlantic Canada - whose trade deal anyway involves something far more deep than simply tariffs - we are part of Europe. We can 'leave' the EU but we still have to deal with it and in any meaningful way there would be very little difference - if we are lucky. If we lose out on internal investment if we loose out on currency fluctuations then we would not be lucky.
    I happen to think we can get a good deal; but the point is that we can negotiate and have a referendum. With the Tories.
    A lot of the standards originating from EU legislation start life at international treaty bodies. Norway has a huge amount of influence through sitting on various committees and involvement with international bodies. They have a single voice, whereas the UK is just one of many countries represented by the EU.
  • Options

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

I don't actually Have a dog in the UKIP defection fight but according to Sky News earlier Farrage offered him the run at a plum seat as an MP just a few days ago. Now he's always been a rotten one according to resident UKIP posters? Facing both ways at once by the looks.

Mmmmmm....

Speaking as a resident UKIP waverer, I'd say that is completely beside the point. UKIP is obviously an amateurish autocracy with a high fruitcake count, but what do you expect of a wholly new political party (not one cobbled together from proper politicians, like the SDP)? You have to go back to the 1700s to get comparative data on the conservatives. As for Farage, his antics make one stretch the eyes (air crashes on election day, Brixton, Mike Read, ...) but so what? It all seems to be fully priced in. And as for Bashir being a rotter, it's retrospectively a tiny bit embarrassing but I have no doubt there are other Ukip candidates as questionable as he is, but so what? (See above about being a young and amateurish party). It isn't Ukip who had him at 10 Downing Street for 2 hours as a point-scoring exercise.
    Exactly, what the main parties have been slow to realise, and still haven't realised, is that UKIP are not expected to form the next government, they are seen as a popular uprising against a remote and incestous establishment that is esconced in a gilded ivory tower and the purpose of voting UKIP is to ram a battering ram into the door of that tower. If you are looking for people to man a large and heavy battering ram you want enthusiastic people who go for it and don't mind (and sort of expect) them to be a bit rough round the edges and swear and be blunt to the point of offensiveness so it will hardly put you off.
    That is hilarious. A party led by a public schoolboy banker is going to shake up the other public schoolboy bankers. Brilliant.
    You mean the UKIP leader has actually had a real job? That won't do at all.
    Nigel,did you go to the match yesterday.

No I don't get there much these days, were you there?

Congratulations on a magnificent result and performance, thoroughly deserved. I was with my wife's family last night, all QPR fans and they expected me to be devastated. Actually I viewed it as a superb result for the FA Cup, much maligned these days but in my view still the best Cup competition in the world.

Best wishes in the next round.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

rcs1000 said:

I don't remember us becoming a third world country when we crashed out of the ERM.

The associated massive devaluation will make Greek products and services cheap and imports expensive, which is what Greece needs to recover.

If Spain, Portugal, Italy etc. follow suit then Germany are in trouble as the artifiically low Euro currency which makes German goods artificially cheap will rise significantly.
    The problem is that the value of the National Debt goes up in a devalued local currency and, of course, also the repayments.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

I don't actually Have a dog in the UKIP defection fight but according to Sky News earlier Farrage offered him the run at a plum seat as an MP just a few days ago. Now he's always been a rotten one according to resident UKIP posters? Facing both ways at once by the looks.

Mmmmmm....

Speaking as a resident UKIP waverer, I'd say that is completely beside the point. UKIP is obviously an amateurish autocracy with a high fruitcake count, but what do you expect of a wholly new political party (not one cobbled together from proper politicians, like the SDP)? You have to go back to the 1700s to get comparative data on the conservatives. As for Farage, his antics make one stretch the eyes (air crashes on election day, Brixton, Mike Read, ...) but so what? It all seems to be fully priced in. And as for Bashir being a rotter, it's retrospectively a tiny bit embarrassing but I have no doubt there are other Ukip candidates as questionable as he is, but so what? (See above about being a young and amateurish party). It isn't Ukip who had him at 10 Downing Street for 2 hours as a point-scoring exercise.
    Exactly, what the main parties have been slow to realise, and still haven't realised, is that UKIP are not expected to form the next government, they are seen as a popular uprising against a remote and incestous establishment that is esconced in a gilded ivory tower and the purpose of voting UKIP is to ram a battering ram into the door of that tower. If you are looking for people to man a large and heavy battering ram you want enthusiastic people who go for it and don't mind (and sort of expect) them to be a bit rough round the edges and swear and be blunt to the point of offensiveness so it will hardly put you off.
    That is hilarious. A party led by a public schoolboy banker is going to shake up the other public schoolboy bankers. Brilliant.
    Not that it's relevant anyway, but none of the other party leaders is a public schoolboy banker. And if Ukip swings the result of the GE I'd say that was shaking up the other parties, irrespective of Farage's background.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,132
    edited January 2015
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Also O/T

That's a seat where Labour start off 40% ahead of the SNP - SLAB is going to be in for a rough night in May methinks.

A few others have also changed to SNP or evens. Inverclyde, Aberdeen South, Ayrshire North, Edinburgh East, Livingston, Stirling.

Small, but welcome, improvement for the LD's!
  • Options

Except a party of southern public school boys and ex financiers are hardly subversive. Why vote UKIP when they are just establishment also-rans. To really upset the establishment, vote Green.

No they are not subversive against the economic establishment, they are subversive against the social establishment (the Guardianistas and equality mongers)
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    @Rcs

Superb post. Thank you.

I've searched around looking for a piece war-gaming the Greek situation and drawn a blank. Till I read your piece.

Well done. Help yourself to a brandy.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    dr_spyn said:

Someone has dropped a hint to Preston that Ed wants the student vote. The Beeford has learnt that student fees will drop by £3k. Will Ed be using the Mansion Tax or The tax on bankers' bonuses. Those Scottish nurses might not get their jobs if this happens. Can't link to the story at the moment.

As Higher Education is devolved, if Labour reduce Tuition Fees then the Scottish Budget will increase.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,237

rcs1000 said:

There are two fundamental differences between us in 1992 and Greece:

1. When we exited the ERM, our debts (and I include the debts of companies and individuals) were denominated in pounds. If Greece exist the Euro, its debts will still be denominated in Euros. The IMF is not going to accept repayment in New Drachma, it will demand Euros or Dollars.

2. This is not an import/export issue any more as Greece already runs a current account surplus. This is about a sustainability of debt levels. Greece has debts equivalent to 170% of GDP at high interest rates, and no ability to print their own currency.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Also O/T

Not really. By UNS, they still win 2 seats but Berwickshire, Roxburgh stubbornly remain the fav with bookies.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

rcs1000 said:

That doesn't mean that Euro exit is not still the best long-term option for Greece, but the short term pain would be enormous.

Five years ago I said here that Greece has a third world level of wealth creation but a belief that it deserves a first world level of wealth consumption.

Either the EU gives in and funds economically unjustifiable living standards in Greece or Greek living standards change from being comparable to Italy's to being comparable to Turkey's.
    Greece has an estimated average IQ of 92. Well below Russia, a bit above Mexico.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Except a party of southern public school boys and ex financiers are hardly subversive. Why vote UKIP when they are just establishment also-rans. To really upset the establishment, vote Green.

No they are not subversive against the economic establishment, they are subversive against the social establishment (the Guardianistas and equality mongers)
    Equality mongers? How could anyone come up with such a twisted ideology as us all being equal?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

' The report has criticized the Government for calculating how much future payments will be worth in today’s money terms by using what its author describes as an “insanely high” measure of inflation, as measured by RPI, plus 2.2pc – a measure decided upon in 2010.
    By assuming a higher rate of inflation, future repayments appear lower. '

Is that the same RPI that the government says shouldn't be used but uses itself when it suits its purposes ?
    This is just a problem which gets worse by the day, Willetts has made a total cock up. If this had been a Labour minister had created the disaster we'd ( rightly ) have threads filled with it. Instead it's Cameron omerta and the protectors of fiscal rectitude have acquired the Nelson touch.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Also O/T

Not really. By UNS, they still win 2 seats but Berwickshire, Roxburgh stubbornly remain the fav with bookies.
    Don't snatch my straws away! LOL!

Anyway, I thought we were regarding UNS with a degree of suspicion!
  • Options
    Roger said:

I don't think I've ever seen such love for party leaders as there has been on this thread for Farage and Salmond. I feel quite moved

You must be very new here....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited January 2015

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

Congratulations on a magnificent result and performance, thoroughly deserved. I was with my wife's family last night, all QPR fans and they expected me to be devastated. Actually I viewed it as a superb result for the FA Cup, much maligned these days but in my view still the best Cup competition in the world.

Thanks nigel,yes I was there,best footballing experience of my life,got to say Chelsea fans were top class ;-)

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Someone has dropped a hint to Preston that Ed wants the student vote. The Beeford has learnt that student fees will drop by £3k. Will Ed be using the Mansion Tax or The tax on bankers' bonuses. Those Scottish nurses might not get their jobs if this happens. Can't link to the story at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30976509

Finally, doing something out of the box ! Get out of this Austerity crap !
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2015
    I notice the UKIP-dislikers are still ignoring the fact that the defecting MEP has spent most of January putting out pro-UKIP messages on his Twitter feed, including rubbishing the idea that UKIP is racist.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    The Lib Dems simply MUST underperform UNS in some seats they hold, as you can't get below 0% in a seat.

I took £20 of 7-2 on the SNP in Charlie's seat off the back of them having the Scots parliament seats there.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm If the Greek elections were conducted under our system then Syriza would have a colossal majority.

Probably in excess of 60% of the seats, and a majority of >60 in a House of 300...
    Greece has an ENP of 4.4, about the same as us, based on current polls...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Labour needs to be on the phone to Syriza HQ asap to learn how a socialist party can win an election.

I'm sure Labour HQ are salivating at the thought of 25% unemployment.
    It was the f***ing Austerity that did it !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

Labour introduced the policy. They still haven't the balls to get rid of it. And I still say Miliband will chicken out.
  • Options

Can't get massively excited about the Bashir defection. But the mewling from the kippers has been a treat to behold.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Are there any other rum buggers UKIP are thinking of booting out? Just so we don't get surprised by the next defector being unveiled by them as having been expelled yesterday as they found he had 666 on his scalp.

2. Exactly how much did Bashir know about UKIP's general election strategy? A two hour debriefing by Cameron suggests - quite a bit.

Show us the mewling - identify it by poster, and time of posting.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Are there any other rum buggers the tories are thinking of taking in? Wouldn't it have been just fantastic if CCHQ had known, like everyone else in the country including the most starry-eyed of kippers, that UKIP was stuffed to the gunwales with rum buggers and that if one comes round looking to defect to you, you lock the door and call the police. And btw you are wrong, UKIP got their dismissal in first. Say what you like about New Labour, at least they made the news management grid run on time.

2. UKIP have a general election strategy? One worth a two hour debriefing? Fnarrrrrrr.

• Options
    With 50% of the vote in, Syriza are still 1% of the vote short of a majority.

Golden Dawn close to gaining an 18th seat...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    AndyJS said:

I notice the UKIP-dislikers are still ignoring the fact that the defecting MEP has spent most of January putting out pro-UKIP messages on his Twitter feed, including rubbishing the idea that UKIP is racist.

When interviewed by Lenny Henry he denied ever encountering any form of racism. He stated that he has stayed in UKIP member's homes up and down the country and was made to feel more than welcome. Disappointingly he implied he would be in favour of positive discrimination to boost the number of ethnic minority media personalities. Not something I expected to hear him saying.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

One other implication is a Greek exodus of the talented (my Greek medical colleagues are very valued). Imported medicines and surgical supplies either would be unobtainable or Cash only (in Euros). I can see that not just Doctors would emigrate, not just for money, but simply to be able to work at all.
  • Options
    BBC is reporting that "Downing Street to review security procedures after hoax caller put through to Prime Minister David Cameron, Number 10 says"

Defection?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2015
    surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

You might want to read the whole article.

'The preferred option, I am told, is to find an equivalent tax to the raid on the banks. But I understand that Ed Balls and Ed Miliband are also examining whether to replace the system of funding via student loans with a new tax on new graduates - by which those who benefit from a university degree would pay a higher tax rate.'

Deferred clobbering by further complicating the tax system. They really haven't learnt a thing.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

Greece has an estimated average IQ of 92. Well below Russia, a bit above Mexico.
    What was the IQ of the Irish 50-100 years ago?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

'The preferred option, I am told, is to find an equivalent tax to the raid on the banks. But I understand that Ed Balls and Ed Miliband are also examining whether to replace the system of funding via student loans with a new tax on new graduates - by which those who benefit from a university degree would pay a higher tax rate.'

Deferred clobbering then. Winner.
    How long until the make it retrospective on those already paying back loans? 2 years maybe?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

UKIP are well to the right of the establishment. The Greens are well to the left. Each party upsets the establishment.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

BBC is reporting that "Downing Street to review security procedures after hoax caller put through to Prime Minister David Cameron, Number 10 says"

Defection?

Someone impersonating Mark "Fat Arse" Reckless wanting to defect back again would be hilarious.
  • Options
    500? A report a few months ago said there were 135,000 survivors in the UK:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/07/135000-fgm-survivors-uk-says-new-study
    MP_SE said:

Socrates said:

500 cases of female genital mutilation in one month in British hospitals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/almost-500-cases-of-female-genital-mutilation-identified-in-just-one-month-in-english-hospitals-10001191.html

Isn't it great how immigration enriches our cultural practices?

Bigot! How dare you question immigration.

I wonder how many prosections will result from the 500 cases of FGM being identified. Most probably none as everyone is too scared to address the problem. Far easier to go after Page 3.

The parents should be prosecuted. There is no way that they would be unaware of their child having their genitals mutilated.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, a friend of mine who knows the Greek political scene believes we will see Tsipiras come back from negotiations with the IMF/EU/ECB with concrete concessions, but which require Greece to remain under IMF supervision.

He thinks a third of the SYRIZA party will find this unacceptable, and will refuse to endorse it, leading to SYRIZA splitting and new elections in the late spring.

Sounds eminently possible.

Who wins those elections - New Democracy swingback :D ?
  • Options

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

heavy battering ram you want enthusiastic people who go for it and don't mind (and sort of expect) them to be a bit rough round the edges and swear and be blunt to the point of offensiveness so it will hardly put you off.

Thanks nigel,yes I was there,best footballing experience of my life,got to say Chelsea fans were top class ;-)

A neighbours child (a glory supporter of Chelsea) was taken to Stamford Bridge for his first game as a birthday treat yesterday. Should have gone to White Hart Lane to see the mighty Foxes!
  • Options

Defection?

"after hoax defector granted two hour audience with Prime Minister David Cameron", shurely?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

500? A report a few months ago said there were 135,000 survivors in the UK:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/07/135000-fgm-survivors-uk-says-new-study

MP_SE said:

Socrates said:

500 cases of female genital mutilation in one month in British hospitals:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/almost-500-cases-of-female-genital-mutilation-identified-in-just-one-month-in-english-hospitals-10001191.html

Isn't it great how immigration enriches our cultural practices?

Bigot! How dare you question immigration.

I wonder how many prosections will result from the 500 cases of FGM being identified. Most probably none as everyone is too scared to address the problem. Far easier to go after Page 3.

The parents should be prosecuted. There is no way that they would be unaware of their child having their genitals mutilated.
    I think that was just for the previous month. I believe November had 477 or so.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,095

dr_spyn said:

Sound move. Doesn't matter if it is nonsense or not, it shows them on the side of students, who will want to believe it until the hard choices in the next parliament make it a far from easy thing to implement.
  • Options
    Also seems Pasok are truly in the also-ran category of Greek politics now, ND are hit but will recover as the only "sensible" centre-right option in town.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2015
    maaarsh said:

surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

How long until the make it retrospective on those already paying back loans? 2 years maybe?
    Looks like the 2 Eds think they've got a serious problem with students voting Green. They must be desperate.
  • Options

Defection?

The Head of ISIS, UK wants to join the Tories. Cam thinks Muslim vote is in the bag ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

UKIP are well to the right of the establishment. The Greens are well to the left. Each party upsets the establishment.
    Would that be the UKIP party opposed to NHS privatisation and the bedroom tax? Or has UKIP policy changed again?
  • Options

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

heavy battering ram you want enthusiastic people who go for it and don't mind (and sort of expect) them to be a bit rough round the edges and swear and be blunt to the point of offensiveness so it will hardly put you off.

A neighbours child (a glory supporter of Chelsea) was taken to Stamford Bridge for his first game as a birthday treat yesterday. Should have gone to White Hart Lane to see the mighty Foxes!
    Congrats to your team foxy,another comeback ;-)

• Options
    Which sites are you using for results?
    RodCrosby said:

• Options
    maaarsh said:

surbiton said:

dr_spyn said:

I doubt Labour could fk it up any worse than the Conservatives already have.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Which sites are you using for results?

RodCrosby said:

http://ekloges.ypes.gr/current/v/public/index.html?lang=en#{"cls":"level","params":{"level":"epik","id":1}}
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Will Syriza form a coalition with Pasok if they're only a handful short?

More likely KKE, the Communist Party of Greece who are set to win 15 seats I would have thought.

To quote Wikipedia "KKE actively participated in the anti-austerity protests beginning in 2010."
    The KKE, as I understand it, regard Syriza as Trotskyist adventurers. As ME_SE says, maybe that'll change if they get to be kingmakers but I doubt it. They'll wait for Syriza to screw up and hope to pick up some of the pieces.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Is it time to point out that I had my finger on the pulse of what may turn out to be a key segment of swing voters months ago, prior to their recent surge?

Yes, I think it is..

"JonnyJimmy Posts: 1,229
    October 2014
    Is there any data on the number of 2010 LD Lab switchers who might go green? I've noticed a tendency among some of my lefty friends in that direction; I think they're looking for a way to vote that doesn't mean they're backing useless Ed, much like they went LD previously to avoid backing Gordon"

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/449739/#Comment_449739

#jjsanecdotesrule
  • Options

Pleased to hear it, I know one group were trying to get a flag prepared along the lines of : May 2015, 30 years. Chelsea remember; but not sure they had time.

Also heard the police allowed your lot in all the pubs as they knew there would be no trouble, I think they were just grateful you beat Millwall!
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Also O/T

Well, we have to go with something. But UNS GB wide is out because of Scotland. Even in Scotland current sub samples aggregates give the SNP 41 seats against 25 by the punters.
    The swings needed to win seats in Scotland is so high, it would not happen in England.

West Dunbartonshire, which started this thread needs a swing of 20.6% Even with the current UNS swing, Labour should still hold it.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Is that even trying to be funny, or to make any kind of point?

Sense of humour failure?
    Farage has made so many allegations he better watch out for the lawyers.
    I think Marf had better watch out. Nowhere did Farage say that Bashir was a terrorist. He said instead that Bashir had consorted with a well known Pakistani terrorist. A world of difference.
    That sounds threatening to Marf and is not appropriate on PB. Please be careful with your use of language.

No one is threatening Marf, least of all me. You obviously haven't read my earlier posts on the subject, Mike.
  • Options
    I'm surprised PASOK haven't disbanded into nothing already to be honest. Still, with the rapid rise and fall of parties in recent years in Greece, I guess a return to the major party spotlight even in a few years is not impossible.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Given the unfortunate events that happen to far too many UKIP MEPs, it must only be a matter of time before Nigel Farage starts being known as Lemony Snicket.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,712
    edited January 2015
    Is it Acropolis Now for the Eurozone ?
  • Options

Will Syriza form a coalition with Pasok if they're only a handful short?

More likely KKE, the Communist Party of Greece who are set to win 15 seats I would have thought.

To quote Wikipedia "KKE actively participated in the anti-austerity protests beginning in 2010."
    The KKE, as I understand it, regard Syriza as Trotskyist adventurers. As ME_SE says, maybe that'll change if they get to be kingmakers but I doubt it. They'll wait for Syriza to screw up and hope to pick up some of the pieces.
    Pasok getting 13 seats !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    Socrates False Flag In the ST today there was a rather cruel assessment of the Greeks quoted from 1910's Encyclopaedia Britannica 'Their cleverness often degenerates into cunning and he pursuit of illicit gains by duplicity and misrepresentation. Sustained mental industry and careful accuracy are distasteful to them and their aversion to manual labour is still more marked.' http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/focus/article1511153.ece

Nonetheless it is Greece which is making the waves today!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Also O/T

Well, we have to go with something. But UNS GB wide is out because of Scotland. Even in Scotland current sub samples aggregates give the SNP 41 seats against 25 by the punters.
    The swings needed to win seats in Scotland is so high, it would not happen in England.

West Dunbartonshire, which started this thread needs a swing of 20.6% Even with the current UNS swing, Labour should still hold it.
    Yes got 54% there though, so a higher than average swing can be expected.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Ishmael_X said:

Is that even trying to be funny, or to make any kind of point?

Sense of humour failure?
    Farage has made so many allegations he better watch out for the lawyers.
    I think Marf had better watch out. Nowhere did Farage say that Bashir was a terrorist. He said instead that Bashir had consorted with a well known Pakistani terrorist. A world of difference.
    That sounds threatening to Marf and is not appropriate on PB. Please be careful with your use of language.

No one is threatening Marf, least of all me. You obviously haven't read my earlier posts on the subject, Mike.
    Je suis Marf
  • Options
    Getting to the point, how much cheaper are holidays in Greece going to be as a result of this election result?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Getting to the point, how much cheaper are holidays in Greece going to be as a result of this election result?

Hopefully greece will exit the eurozone. The Drachma will take the inevitable hit - and tbh anyone who has been lending Greece cash deserves to lose it.
  • Options
    Caller was put through to Prime Minister after claiming to be director of GCHQ

Security procedures are being reviewed after a hoax caller was put through to David Cameron's phone, claiming to be the director of eavesdropping agency GCHQ.

The Prime Minister ended the call when it became clear it was a hoax and no sensitive information was disclosed, Downing Street said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11368849/Hoax-call-made-to-David-Cameron-sparks-security-review.html
  • Options

Pleased to hear it, I know one group were trying to get a flag prepared along the lines of : May 2015, 30 years. Chelsea remember; but not sure they had time.

Also heard the police allowed your lot in all the pubs as they knew there would be no trouble, I think they were just grateful you beat Millwall!

This from the Bradford city fans forum ;-)

https://claretandbanter.uk/threads/respect-to-chelsea-fans.42863/

I was walking away from Stamford bridge with a Chelsea fan,we were discussing our dislike of leeds united ;-)

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    148 seats for Syriza now. Edging closer to 151.
  • Options

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

Can't stand Glory supporters - support yr local team ffsake :P
  • Options
    Golden Dawn hit 18, gain from ND....
  • Options

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

Speaking as a resident UKIP waverer, I'd say that is completely beside the point. UKIP is obviously an amateurish autocracy with a high fruitcake count, but what do you expect of a wholly new political party

I think yesterday was a great show by Bradford, out-shadowing Leicester's 5-3 comeback against ManU. We were at home and got two penalties, while yours came from good open playing.

I hope we don't get you in the draw tommorow!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Socrates said:

Nigel Farage: "An extra £3bn a year for the NHS, funded out of the fact that we will not be paying daily membership fees to the European Union"

Norway pays a figure but because it is not in the EU itself it does not get anything back. Its gross payment last time I looked made it the 10th largest net contributor. Its about 350 million Euro.
    The UK GPD is bigger than Norways so our contribution pro rata would be about 2 billion, and we do get 5 billion back from the EU currently. This is less than our current net contribution. Which is about 11 - thanks to Blair giving away our rebate. It may be a good idea. I have nothing against it in principal. But all it means is that the EU is still there and influencing us and we have no say. This may still be the best thing but in terms of any real difference its relatively small.
    The UK is in fact well down the table of net contributions per capita with Sweden Cyprus and Malta below us.
    Another of Flightpath's perennial myths - the idea that EEA members have no say over the rules. As I pointed out several weeks ago this is rubbish.

Oh and copying the figures I used earlier to pretend you know something about our EU contributions really doesn't disprove the fact that you are commenting on a subject about which you are utterly ignorant.
    I would not dream of copying figures from you.
    How many MEPs does Norway have
    How many commissioners does it have?
    How many votes does it have?
    A trade deal with the EU involves the single market involves free movement of labour and contributions to various funds. We are not transatlantic Canada - whose trade deal anyway involves something far more deep than simply tariffs - we are part of Europe. We can 'leave' the EU but we still have to deal with it and in any meaningful way there would be very little difference - if we are lucky. If we lose out on internal investment if we loose out on currency fluctuations then we would not be lucky.
    I happen to think we can get a good deal; but the point is that we can negotiate and have a referendum. With the Tories.
    Still showing your ignorance. Quoting numbers of MEPs just shows how ,little you know. Go read about the EFTA/EU agreement which outlines how any and all regulations which effect EFTA countries are instigated and produced with the full involvement of EFTA countries.

We lose nothing by leaving the EU - whether we join EFTA or not afterwards. It is only the sad ignorant Europhiles like yourself who still rely on these ludicrous scare stories.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    MikeK said:

148 seats for Syriza now. Edging closer to 151.

They haven't moved or edged anywhere!

Although the Golden Dawn seat is now in danger.

So yes, 149 looks possible.!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    kle4 said:

I'm surprised PASOK haven't disbanded into nothing already to be honest. Still, with the rapid rise and fall of parties in recent years in Greece, I guess a return to the major party spotlight even in a few years is not impossible.

I have wondered if PASOK were really the Papandreou family party machine.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

Speaking as a resident UKIP waverer, I'd say that is completely beside the point. UKIP is obviously an amateurish autocracy with a high fruitcake count, but what do you expect of a wholly new political party

I think yesterday was a great show by Bradford, out-shadowing Leicester's 5-3 comeback against ManU. We were at home and got two penalties, while yours came from good open playing.

I hope we don't get you in the draw tommorow!
    I don't want that draw mr fox,I want a big pay day if we go out ;-)

• Options
    AndyJS said:

No idea, but with exports likely to be much more expensive sales of Tzatziki and Taramaslata will plummet, could be a double dip recession.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    dr Spyn George Papandreou founded a new party 'Movement for Change' prior to the election
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2894740/Former-Greek-PM-Papandreou-sets-new-party-complicating-election-outlook.html
  • Options
    149 for Syriza now.

Very close with GD for that seat...
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

Richard Lynn has estimated the Irish IQ at 95.

How many Irish and Greek Nobel prize winners can you name?
  • Options
    Cav off the mark for the season now
  • Options
    Syriza used to be an umbrella group of over a dozen leftist parties, correct? So would they go for a coalition even with a paper thin majority? As has been speculated below, surely some of the MPs will be from factions who won't stomach doing the sorts of things governments may find themselves having no choice but to do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Syriza used to be an umbrella group of over a dozen leftist parties, correct? So would they go for a coalition even with a paper thin majority? As has been speculated below, surely some of the MPs will be from factions who won't stomach doing the sorts of things governments may find themselves having no choice but to do.

That was what I was thinking. All it takes is a few backbench rebels and the paperthin majority disappears. I suppose it depends on how the other parties will vote as I cannot see them all voting against Syriza.
  • Options
    As I recall when the economy went down the pan many years ago the Euro elections that year went very well for centre right governments and centre right oppositions, all things considered. Only natural things would swing back left eventually, it's not been a bad run for the austerity crowd.

The UK of course likely to buck any trend that develops, given Labour are pro-austerity even though they seek to hoover up the anti-austerity vote.
  • Options
    Syriza edging up a bit.

Now over 36% with 60% counted. 149 seats forecast....
  • Options
    Nudging over 36% now, they could still sneak up by the time it's over.
  • Options
    I went to WHL yesterday (with three young(ish) ladies who may have made me look vaguely pimpish) and thought Leicester played really well. They didn't have much possession but turned almost all of it into attacks; spurs had tons of possession but turned virtually none of it into attacks.

All they do is pass it around the back for about an hour of the game and often get less out of their vast possession than their opponents get out of their 25 minutes or so on the ball. They need to press far harder when they've got the ball and start passing forwards, rather than looking for the safest pass all the time just to keep the ball.

I don't remember Poch being so negative at saints, though I have noticed that Koeman is an improvement on him in that department, surely he can't be telling them to play so defensively?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    I apologise for bothering you all, but I have another question that needs answering. Does anybody know what the odds (most seats, overall majority, most votes, whatever) were on the day before the 2010 UK General Election?

I've been thru oddschecker.com, bestbetting.com, shadsy's site and google but i'm coming up blank. I've even been thru the archives for this site and (ironically) there were many posts on the polls, but few on the odds. Has anybody got any ideas?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

saddened said:

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

Mmmmmm....

Speaking as a resident UKIP waverer,

Can't stand Glory supporters - support yr local team ffsake :P
    I won't tease him too hard, he is only 13.

And I am only an adopted Fox, I moved here 23 years ago Lancastrian by birth.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Syriza edging up a bit.

Is there any read on the late to report areas - are we expecting a continued drift this way or are they just having a good spell?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2015
    For R Tyndall

Still insulting people. hardly surprising really , its your stock in trade/. Are you related to Malcolm G or the BNP nutter>???
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dr Spyn George Papandreou founded a new party 'Movement for Change' prior to the election
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2894740/Former-Greek-PM-Papandreou-sets-new-party-complicating-election-outlook.html

His grandfather appeared to be happy to work for any government which was anti royalist from 1922 onwards. Have to have a look you link - today's excuse for visiting the RCS.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

RodCrosby said:

Syriza edging up a bit.

Is there any read on the late to report areas - are we expecting a continued drift this way or are they just having a good spell?
    really no idea, sorry.
  • Options
    kle4 Of course it was the Tories austerity rhetoric pre the 2010 election which probably cost them their majority, it is unlikely they will get one in May, indeed if we end up with a Labour-SNP-Green agreement then there would be a clear anti austerity shift
  • Options
    Everything has been blown wide open by the Greek result and the resulting turmoil will have many unpredictable turns for the European Union and the domestic UK politics when those on the left will seek to go further left and possibly split the left vote and the right increase the argument over Brexit.
  • Options

I went to WHL yesterday (with three young(ish) ladies who may have made me look vaguely pimpish) and thought Leicester played really well. They didn't have much possession but turned almost all of it into attacks; spurs had tons of possession but turned virtually none of it into attacks.

All they do is pass it around the back for about an hour of the game and often get less out of their vast possession than their opponents get out of their 25 minutes or so on the ball. They need to press far harder when they've got the ball and start passing forwards, rather than looking for the safest pass all the time just to keep the ball.

I don't remember Poch being so negative at saints, though I have noticed that Koeman is an improvement on him in that department, surely he can't be telling them to play so defensively?

They didn't play too defensively against us!
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

maaarsh said:

RodCrosby said:

Syriza edging up a bit.

really no idea, sorry.
    Don't know what I'm paying you for sometimes...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Amused by this graphic on a tweet. A Spanish TV station's graphic.

Kate Shea Baird ‏@KateSB 15m15 minutes ago
    It's almost as if @telecincoes in Spain wants to minimise scale of Syriza's victory via @angelandresvm #ekloges2015

Google the text for the graphic.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,393
    edited January 2015
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

rcs1000 said:

Richard Lynn has estimated the Irish IQ at 95.

How many Irish and Greek Nobel prize winners can you name?
    Heaney, Yeats & Shaw for 3 (with Joyce a stand-out omission).

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I get a little nervous when people start talking about the SNP being ahead in only X number constituencies when the pool numbers say they should be getting Y where Y is larger than X. I know this is "Teaching Granny to Suck Eggs Level" but if the SNP were 2/1 against in every seat then that means that people expect them to take 20 seats not 0 seats.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Looking at the politics rather than the economics (since the EU could afford pretty much any Greek deal purely in fiscal terms): generally, the EU has a strong bias to compromise and splitting the difference, even with very awkward types like the PM of Hungary (widely seen as pro-Russian, reactionary and authoritarian, all at once). On the other hand, they won't want to encourage lots of anti-austerity rebellions int Italy, Spain etc. Tspiras in turn needs to deliver something concrete, but he's not really drawn that many red lines. I'd guess that a prolonged haggle and a fudge still remains the most likely outcome, unlikely though it may seem in these exciting days.
This discussion has been closed.