Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Rochester and Harry Hayfield’s local and Westminste

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Roger said:

I've just looked at the Thornberry tweet. I'm not sure I get the significance. It's the sort of snap anyone might take and it didn't seem to be accompanied by any type.

That boat sailed a long time ago.

She removed the text from the tweet.
    So what was the text?

Yeah, what was the text? AFAIK she posted it without commenting on it.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited November 2014

Entirely predictable. When are the grown-ups coming back to run the Labour operation? It is beyond belief.

The senior souls in the party need to take control, as in accepting that a loss needs to be mitigated against in 2015 and the ministerial faces from 2010 need to be expunged, while the new MP's from 2010 and 2015 need to be the face from next year.

Some working class front men and women would help.

The Islington/Hampstead set need political decapitation.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    #MrHarryCole: Emily Thornberry in April: "I know I'm good and I know I'm an asset to the Labour Party"

Emily Thornberry earlier today

@EmilyThornberry: Just coming into #Rochester. Clouds are gathering for Cameron http://t.co/Y8g4rSWFjJ
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

dr_spyn said:

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 30s30 seconds ago
    BREAKING: EMILY THORNBERRY RESIGNS

Blimey - I honestly thought Thornberry’s tweet, though crass, was hardly a resigning issue.

oh well never mind.
    It wasn't remotely close to being a resigning issue until Ed panicked. It doesn't bode well for a full on gutter fight in the upcoming general next May. Ed is a terrible General.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Take the 100/1 UKIP in Islington South, I am dismantling the kitchen to allow me access to the sink
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Starting to wonder if this might be a perfect storm for another leadership crisis for Ed... the Thornberry shambles (and what seems frankly like Ed gutlessly surrendering one of his "allies" to cover himself), a persistent Tory lead in the polls, and a collapse in the byelection.

He's probably safe. But arguable that historians might write that this was the night that Labour lost the election.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2014
    I'm actually still laughing. That is hilarious and terrible at the same time. Have the political affairs at the highest level of a nuclear-armed power, within living memory the greatest Empire the world has ever seen, the world's 6th largest economy, a Big Five state at the UN, a nation of 64 million souls, come down to this...

White van man's England flags and Paisley Pyjamas.

Bleeding eck.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    FalseFlag said:

Tim_B said:

This is incredible - Democrats are comparing tonight's Obama executive action announcement on immigration to Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation proclamation

Should be impeached, acting like an African dictator.
    No point - given the length of the process at most it would shorten his term by about 3 months. It would mean Joe Biden would be POTUS. Who would want that? Plus he swims naked and is 72 today.
  • Options
    isam said:

Floater said:

Scott_P said:

I was wrong...
    @faisalislam: Oh my word: "Emily Thornberry has resigned from the Shadow Cabinet. "

She has done huge damage to an already struggling brand
    oh dear never mind
    See Emily Play (no more).

Bye Four Bellies
    Emily tries, but misunderstands...
    yes
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

What on earth is politics coming to when a Shadow Minister resigns over a photograph with a neutral comment under it? I can't stand Emily Thornberry but she deserves better on this.
    This General Election promises to be the most bizarre ever.

I'm 600 miles away and I could see it was one of the dumbest tweets by a politician since Twitter was invented.

Well, we see it differently. Still, I don't have huge sympathy for politician who tweet in any case. A very difficult medium to get across often complex messages.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

I'm actually still laughing. That is hilarious and terrible at the same time. Have the political affairs at the highest level of a nuclear-armed power, within living memory the greatest Empire the world has ever seen, the world's 6th largest economy, a Big Five state at the UN, a nation of 64 million souls, come down to this...

Bleeding eck.

Indeed.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Everybody put up their St George flags yet?

ET sums up metropolitan Labour oh so very well.

I thought about hanging out my flag, but didn't want to attract too many Labour canvassers!
    Never had you down as a Chav!!

Are you at DD tomorrow? Will you be wearing your Burberry Baseball cap?

I will have my I love the NHS badge on!!
    Should I pop round and tell my Asian neighbours that you think they are chavs?

Seems Emily is not alone in her views
    If you want I am pleased you are on good terms with them.

I used to have a big Union Jack flag with Dronfield Owls written on it

Flags are rubbish these days especially on cars.

Cuts down your MPG too.

I also used to go to away matches with scarfs out of both back windows.

Was getting through about 10 scarves a season.

Unlike you and Emily I generally don't judge people by what flags they hang out of their windows.
    Bet you don't have car flags though do you?

Or a white van.

Perhaps you can introduce me to your Asian neighbours they sound a wonderful example of the great Multicultural Society we have become to me.
    I am in Colchester, do come up if you can bear to mix with the working class.

We have people from everywhere around here.

I was pleased they hung out England flags you and your party think of them as chavs though - mores the pity.

We can talk about the problems of getting a child into an overcrowded primary school whilst you are here,

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Stewart Jackson MP ‏@SJacksonMP 33m33 minutes ago

Any Tory MP who defects to UKIP on the basis of the result in Rochester and Strood (whatever it is) would frankly be completely insane"

https://twitter.com/SJacksonMP
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Swiss_Bob said:

I think I'll watch QT tonight for the first time in ages.

For once it might be quite entertaining.

Recorded before she resigned
    Back to Counting Cars.
  • Options
    saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

Blimey - I honestly thought Thornberry’s tweet, though crass, was hardly a resigning issue.

oh well never mind.
    It wasn't remotely close to being a resigning issue until Ed panicked. It doesn't bode well for a full on gutter fight in the upcoming general next May. Ed is a terrible General.
    It was utterly a resigning issue. It would have been better for Ed to sack her - on the spot and instantly. That was his only way back from this disaster.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

AndyJS said:

"Labour sources are even more emphatic. They are predicting that Ukip will get about 45% of the vote, the Tories 37/38/39% and that they will be squeezed down to about 10% or 11%."

45% + 38% + 11% = 94%, leaving just 6% for all the others ....... doesn't bode well for the Yellows does it?

Tell you what if Kelly gets that sort of vote I reckon that's a good job done and leaves the seat eminently retakeable in May. we shall see.
  • Options
    Wonderful cartoon, Marf! Hope to see you at Dirty Dick's tomorrow!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Emily Thornberry now the top story on BBC News, where before she was just mentioned in passing in the main story about the Tories' imminent byelection loss.

The complete lack of PR nous at the top of the Labour party...
  • Options

Bleeding eck.

As I say - the next election promises to be the most bizarre since rotten boroughs were abolished.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tomorrow's Sun front page:

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/535560457785196544/photo/1

It's almost as if Ed has managed to piss them off in some way.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,589
    saddened said:

dr_spyn said:

oh well never mind.
    It wasn't remotely close to being a resigning issue until Ed panicked. .
    I didn't think a Cabinet Minister swearing a police officer was a resigning issue, so I would of course agree, but in any case it just seems such a weird result really. She didn't say much at all really with that tweet, although if she did not think it would definitely look like she was being disdainful she cannot be that great, and though amusing it seemed like a normal 'of interest to political wonks' sort of storm would erupt. Cutting her loose is either a really bold move to stop a bigger debate on Labour's out of touchness (which it is amazing has not caused more of an issue very often) from sparking, or a bizarre bit of flailing panic. We know Ed can be ruthless, taking on his brother and all that (and I applaud him for that, maybe due to being a younger brother myself).

• Options
    @JohnRentoul: Don't believe EdM would have made her do it. It's turned embarrassment into disaster. She must have had enough & stormed off.

That doesn't shore up Ed's position much...
  • Options
    Price on Miliband going before December seems to have dropped from about 45 to 13!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

chestnut said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories retain one point lead: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%

That's 4 Tory leads in the last 6, isn't it?
    I think so, this might be the first week since early 2012 that the average weekly YouGov will have the Tories ahead.
    It's all falling apart for Ed, and the Labour Party are stuck with him now.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    AndyJS said:

They say she resigned, but I bet it was Ed who said she had to go.

The Labour old guard terrified of losing their seats *told* Ed the Dud she was going.
  • Options
    BTW - YouGov must be yet another outlier. Still, it should make this weekend's ELBOW very interesting!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600

kle4 said:

Thornberry going seems something of an overreaction, but either good to bury the chaos on a terrible night for the Tories, or else nice of them to distract from the terrible night for the Tories.

They have distracted from Tories. No wonder Ed was reported to be angriest ever. It is incompetence beyond words.
    I would flipping love to see Ed getting angry, I imagine it is like a hungry puppy yapping at its owner. Utterly terrifying! :)

Total bloody over reaction about the flags though, they must be getting in a tizz at Labour HQ.
  • Options
    @camillalong: This Emily Thornberry thing feels like 100% flounce

So there is an emerging media view that this was not Strong Ed wielding the knife, but Snotty Emily sticking the boot in as she leaves the sinking ship
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

I thought about hanging out my flag, but didn't want to attract too many Labour canvassers!

Cuts down your MPG too.

Unlike you and Emily I generally don't judge people by what flags they hang out of their windows.

Or a white van.

Perhaps you can introduce me to your Asian neighbours they sound a wonderful example of the great Multicultural Society we have become to me.

I was pleased they hung out England flags you and your party think of them as chavs though - mores the pity.

We can talk about the problems of getting a child into an overcrowded primary school whilst you are here,

I didn't know you were in Colchester, floater!

I grew up in one of the villages outside (which I shan't name, for privacy reasons) and went to school there.

I am quite astounded that anyone could live anywhere that wasn't in any way socially mixed at any point in their lives.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,284
    edited November 2014
    Please tell me this is a joke. If Ed fired her because of that tweet he's a clown. That is the most insane reason for a resignation I've ever heard of. I think Ed must have a death wish or he's a secret fitfth columnist trying to deflect attention from the Tory defeat.

What a fu*king idiot
  • Options
    Just imagine facing the wrath of Ed Miliband. It must be like being bitten by Gizmo.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851
    On the front page of the Telegraph, Farage is wearing a Bayeux Tapestry tie and drinking a pint of Spitfire.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Tim B, if President Obama proposes to disregard US immigration laws, what legal sanction is available.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Any Tory MP who defects to UKIP on the basis of the result in Rochester and Strood (whatever it is) would frankly be completely insane"

https://twitter.com/SJacksonMP

Not if UKIP got 70% it wouldn't. Not going to happen of course, but he seems to underestimate how many are looking for any excuse to take the plunge without getting wet, by which I mean actually take a big risk on losing their own seats if they defected.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Labour must know Thornberry going is a PR nightmare. So did she quit/was sacked cos there was worse was to come?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Just imagine facing the wrath of Ed Miliband. It must be like being bitten by Gizmo.

More like being savaged by a dead sheep.

(Welsh people note, this is neither good nor desirable)
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,063
    edited November 2014
    I believe ed said at pmqs, Dave won't be smiling on Friday.

He might be wrong on that..... thick of it effort by the government in waiting...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Emily Thornberry now the top story on BBC News, where before she was just mentioned in passing in the main story about the Tories' imminent byelection loss.

It isn't about PR/Spin, Dan

It's about who and what they are.

Emily Thornberry.....Labour MP? Really?

Lib Dem or Green, maybe. But Labour?

It's nothing to do with policy. It's what she is.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

On the front page of the Telegraph, Farage is wearing a Bayeux Tapestry tie and drinking a pint of Spitfire.

He does have suspiciously French ancestry...
  • Options

An Overlord tie would have been better, or can you get Mers el Kebir commemorative neckwear?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2014
    Roger said:

Please tell me this is a joke. If Ed fired her because of that that tweet he's a clown. That is the most insane reason for a resignation I've ever herad of. I think Ed must have a death wish or he's a secret fitfth columnist trying to deflect attention from the Tory defeat.

What a fu*king idiot

Calm down @Roger, you mustn't swear like that, remember your liver.
    We've all long known that labour was led by idiots, why did it take you so long to realise that fact?
  • Options
    Norm said:

AndyJS said:

"Labour sources are even more emphatic. They are predicting that Ukip will get about 45% of the vote, the Tories 37/38/39% and that they will be squeezed down to about 10% or 11%."

45% + 38% + 11% = 94%, leaving just 6% for all the others ....... doesn't bode well for the Yellows does it?

Tell you what if Kelly gets that sort of vote I reckon that's a good job done and leaves the seat eminently retakeable in May. we shall see.
    That's right.

If the Tories are as close as 6% to UKIP on a turnover of 50% or more it's a pretty decent nite for them. If Labour has dropped to that level though, you would expect UKIP to be closer to 50% - maybe even a shade over, if the patterns of churn in Rochester are similar to what we have seen elsewhere. That would give the Kippers a win of 10% or more, which I am sure they would regard as perfectly acceptable.

Much more than 10% of course and the Tories will have little to comfort themselves with, apart of course from Ms Thornbury's departure.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,851
    edited November 2014
    Newsnight: "Does this woman not walk around her constituency?"
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,278

antifrank said:

The original dead sheep had his day with his cricket analogy and the captain breaking his bat comment though didnt he
  • Options

BTW - YouGov must be yet another outlier. Still, it should make this weekend's ELBOW very interesting!

Indeed - I've just visited Betfair's GE markets to adjust my positions before the World catches up ....... as someone once said: "for the things they are a changin'. "
  • Options

http://news.sky.com/story/1377357/ukip-hopes-high-as-rochester-polls-close

What we seasoned observers realised from the Reckless nonsense last night then. Single figure UKIP win? Or is Farage now dampening in order to pump tomorrow?

Either way, Kle4 got it spot on last night: UKIP are no different from the rest. Flannel. Dissemination and Spin.

Sad really. The romantic in me liked the idea of a successful party that was different. They aren't.

Garbage. You have never had anything but utter disdain and contempt for UKIP. Trying to pretend now that you wanted any success for them is completely dishonest.
    Me too!
    The reason Tyndall is misguided is that I've seen through UKIP from the outset. They're not the solution but the problem: for the most part they're tired angry old men whinging and whining from the margins.

I'd love to see a successful genuinely fresh new force in British politics. UKIP are the opposite.
    You have seen through fuck all.

You are without doubt the most arrogant, condescending poster ever on here, which might just be OK if you didn't spout tribal bollocks.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Tim B, if President Obama proposes to disregard US immigration laws, what legal sanction is available.

He has already disregarded them. His proposal tonight is apparently to circumvent them completely. He has already single handedly changed Obamacare over 40 times.

The options are to go to court or defund Obama's measures. At this point impeachment is unrealistic.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Norm said:

AndyJS said:

That's right.

If the Tories are as close as 6% to UKIP on a turnover of 50% or more it's a pretty decent nite for them. If Labour has dropped to that level though, you would expect UKIP to be closer to 50% - maybe even a shade over, if the patterns of churn in Rochester are similar to what we have seen elsewhere. That would give the Kippers a win of 10% or more, which I am sure they would regard as perfectly acceptable.

Much more than 10% of course and the Tories will have little to comfort themselves with, apart of course from Ms Thornbury's departure.

My guess for tonights winning margin was 6.6% for UKIP, so if those figures are correct I may win the prize. ;)
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Danny565 said:

Incredible isn't it? Especially as Labour voters appear en masse to have helped Reckless win. Then the leadership deflects from the meme with this fiasco.
    AndyJS said:

Labour are saying they may be on 10-11%.

That's possibly lower than Clacton.

Ashcroft polled Labour on 17%.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm sure Twitter can be a very useful tool for public figures like MPs, and they are probably all advised to get one so they can at least forward on messages from central office, but will at some point they become more trouble than they are worth - you'd need to monitor all your MPs feeds all the time to hope they don't make some stupid comment, or retweet a comment from a BNP supporter by mistake or something, and be forced to fire them.

As expected though, we are getting a bit of back and forth between 'Ed should have sacked her immediately' and 'Ed's really weak for sacking her'. Come on Ed, that's not how the game is played - you were supposed to be criticised for sticking by this snob, not actually sacking her over a bloody tweet.
  • Options
    This is hilarious. The press have got about six hours of dead air to fill between now and the announcement of the by election result. Anyone care to guess what they'll use to do it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,270
    TimB Indeed, I could well see Hillary picking a Hispanic running mate, for the first ticket ever without a white male
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,270
    edited November 2014
    Ken Clarke more leftwing than Burnham on QT on immigration
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,657
    This all looks like a massive bout of panic by Labour at the loss of their core vote to UKIP.

And they are right to panic.... They could yet be slugging it out for third place on votes with UKIP come May.
  • Options
    Flounce confirmed...

@rosschawkins: So Ed M & Emily T had two conversations, in second Lab src says she said she thought the right to do was to resign & Ed agreed
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

Lucy Powell is a PR genius...

@SophyRidgeSky: On a night where UKIP could be about to turn over a Tory majority of just under 10,000 - Labour has still managed to make headlines...

When Ms Powell inevitably comes to re-writing her CV, I think they'll be a big gap for 2014...
  • Options
    saddened said:

This is hilarious. The press have got about six hours of dead air to fill between now and the announcement of the by election result. Anyone care to guess what they'll use to do it?

To report on Emily Thornberry's "resignation" ......... yawn.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Bleeding eck.

Flags have been a serious issue in the UK for years. People have died and been burned out of their homes over flags. In recent years in the UK.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,993

Swiss_Bob said:

What on earth is politics coming to when a Shadow Minister resigns over a photograph with a neutral comment under it? I can't stand Emily Thornberry but she deserves better on this.
    This General Election promises to be the most bizarre ever.

I'm 600 miles away and I could see it was one of the dumbest tweets by a politician since Twitter was invented.

Well, we see it differently. Still, I don't have huge sympathy for politician who tweet in any case. A very difficult medium to get across often complex messages.
    Tory Up North: That last two sentences should be embossed in 96 point gold type above the entrances to the palaces of Westminster. If you can sum up your case in 140 characters, you almost certainly haven't understood it.
    Twitter is fine for the communication of very simple information (e.g. election results to the terminally impatient). If your subject would better be addressed by an argumentative essay, then that is the medium you should choose.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ken Clarke more leftwing than Burnham on QT

New entertaining Clarke scenario - he defects to the ravaged LDs after 2015 and is elected Leader, now they are free of their RedLiberal section (and most of their votes)
  • Options
    I look at that tweet, and I think, that's a resigning issue, but John McDonnell's comment about Esther McVey or Ken Livingstone's comment on the Tower Hamlets aren't?
  • Options

antifrank said:

The original dead sheep had his day with his cricket analogy and the captain breaking his bat comment though didnt he
    Roger said:

Please tell me this is a joke. If Ed fired her because of that tweet he's a clown. That is the most insane reason for a resignation I've ever heard of. I think Ed must have a death wish or he's a secret fitfth columnist trying to deflect attention from the Tory defeat.

What a fu*king idiot

Yes Roger, we know
  • Options
    BlokeNHSF...UP UKIP ‏@Bnhsfup 32m32 minutes ago
    Word has it at Mark Reckless for Rochester & Strood got 49% of the votes;!!!
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited November 2014
    Grandiose said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Cuts down your MPG too.

Or a white van.

I grew up in one of the villages outside (which I shan't name, for privacy reasons) and went to school there.

I am quite astounded that anyone could live anywhere that wasn't in any way socially mixed at any point in their lives.
    The daft lass has a constituency only a dozen miles (as the crow flies, I counted so I couldn't be accused of hyperbole) from Romford, where this picture might as well have been taken, complete with white van. Or Thurrock or Basildon, which would add a few miles to the count admittedly. There's no need for her to go out as far as Colchester or the Kentish wilderness to observe the lesser-spotted working class - the group of people her party was originally created to represent, for goodness sake. Even a few bits of Newham or Waltham Forest might have done, if she'd wanted it within walking distance.

Much as politicians despise swathes of the press, the allegedly sinister Murdochdrones behind the Sun know their target market just as well as the malicious makers of the Mail. I don't expect her tastes and opinions to coincide with such folk. I'm not even expecting her to grok them, let alone like them. But a vague awareness that the folk who she is nominally meant to be representing in the first place actually exist might have come in handy for her.
  • Options

I believe ed said at pmqs, Dave won't be smiling on Friday.

He might be wrong on that..

On current evidence of incompetence from all sides, I'm surprised either of them can muster more than a pained grimace instead of a smile. The benefits of all that professional politico training I guess.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Bleeding eck.

Flags have been a serious issue in the UK for years. People have died and been burned out of their homes over flags. In recent years in the UK.
    I might be wearing my Union Jack cuff links tomorrow.

Depends if I dress in a suit or not, or do I go for the jeans and red trainers look again?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

I look at that tweet, and I think, that's a resigning issue, but John McDonnell's comment about Esther McVey or Ken Livingstone's comment on the Tower Hamlets aren't?

I dont think you can resign from the awkward squad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimB Indeed, I could well see Hillary picking a Hispanic running mate, for the first ticket ever without a white male

There are rumors that Hillary IS a white male :-)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,284

I suppose he thinks splitting infinitives isn't as bad as splitting his party
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: Amusingly the last time I saw Emily Thornberry, we were mocking a David Cameron tweet https://t.co/HhqMzkIkNq http://t.co/9e417vaw16
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2014
    Okay, step back time. Let's be clear for a sec, using detective skills.

Reckless last night inadvertently declared his hand i.e. it's not the thumping victory he'd originally expected.
    Farage tonight says it's no massive win
    Tories say there's absolutely no chance whatever they will win.

Ergo, it's probably a UKIP win by 5-10%, possibly a little higher but not a thumping 20% lead.

Tyndall, the reason UKIP are no different from the rest are that they're playing the same stupid tired old mind games as the others. It's as pathetic from Farage as it is from Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. Sorry to you-kippers on here but you're a far cry from a new political force.
  • Options
    Losing in Scotland, now Wales, is nowhere safe for Labour?

@Britainelects

Uplands (Swansea):

Independent GAIN from Labour.
  • Options
    Maybe it was crazy Ed after all...

@paulwaugh: Sounds to me v much like Thornberry didn't jump, she was pushed. Her Guardian defence must've sent an already furious Miliband off the scale

@JohnRentoul: EdM cannot have been stupid enough to think it was a good idea to make story bigger, surely?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Danny565 said:

According to the Guardian, a "Labour source" is predicting a swing FROM Labour TO the Tories.

Danny565 said:

According to the Guardian, a "Labour source" is predicting a swing FROM Labour TO the Tories.

I intimated that, after the last poll.

Would be good for the swingback prediction, i.e. horrific for Labour...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Labour will be better off and well rid of people like Thornberry,she's a out of touch snob

All we need now is a cull of the majority in the shadow cabinet and we may get our labour party back.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Philip Davies: "I can't think of any issue where I don't agree with Nigel Farage"
  • Options
    Roger said:

You should tweet that Roger, it would look great coming from a Labour supporter.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband is a Tory plant, that can be the only explanation.
  • Options

She's planning to be there, Sunil, early. I know she is hoping to see you there, and also Weejohnny, I believe. Apparently she has something for him. Can't imagine what it might be.

• Options
    Taxpayers may have to spend more than £3bn to stop Parliament turning into an unusable "ruin", Newsnight understands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30137334

I'm...actually ok with that amount. Politically difficult though I imagine.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Lab sources say Miliband 'absolutely determined not to let anything distract the party" from mission to move from Opposition to Govt

Apart from really high profile and spectacularly badly managed resignation/sacking to snatch defeat from the jaws of what might have been a relatively benign news cycle.

Lucy Powell, take a bow
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Labour will be better off and well rid of people like Thornberry,she's a out of touch snob

All we need now is a cull of the majority in the shadow cabinet and we may get our labour party back.

:-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Taxpayers may have to spend more than £3bn to stop Parliament turning into an unusable "ruin", Newsnight understands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30137334

I'm...actually ok with that amount. Politically difficult though I imagine.

Time to move the parliament to Sheffield or Manchester.

The heart beat of the country.
  • Options
    Peter_the_Punter said:
    » show previous quotes
    My guess for tonights winning margin was 6.6% for UKIP, so if those figures are correct I may win the prize. ;)

I stand to be corrected PtP, but I could have sworn that your competition entry was for UKIP to achieve a double digit lead ....... 10% - 12% iirc.
  • Options

Reckless last night inadvertently declared his hand i.e. it's not the thumping victory he'd originally expected.

Ergo, it's probably a UKIP win by 5-10%, possibly a little higher but not a thumping 20% lead.

Tyndall, the reason UKIP are no different from the rest are that they're playing the same stupid tired old mind games as the others. It's as pathetic from Farage as it is from Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. Sorry to you-kippers on here but you're a far cry from a new political force.

"Ergo, it's a UKIP win by 5-10%."
    Well @audreyanne, keep your knickers on. I'll be mighty satisfied with a UKIP win of between 5-10% points. Your real nightmare is if UKIP win 200 seats by 5-10% at the GE15.
  • Options

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Tories retain one point lead: CON 34%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 6%

Eighth lead this month. Rochester is just a sideshow...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,065
    edited November 2014
    Grandiose said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Cuts down your MPG too.

Or a white van.

Although I was born in India, I spent part of my childhood in Colchester, from when I was about 6 months old till I was about 3.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    RodCrosby said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Does that mean simply a greater fall in the Labour vote than in the Tory vote?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

@Britainelects

Uplands (Swansea):

If they can't hold on in Swansea they are buggered..
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,859
    edited November 2014

Grandiose said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Cuts down your MPG too.

Or a white van.

Although I was born in India, I spent part of my childhood in Colchester, from when I was about 6 months old till I was about 3.
    So you're the second greatest person ever to have lived in Colchester.
  • Options

Why not take my under five seats bet then if you are that confident
  • Options
    Jesus Christ. Just when you think Ed can't get any more ridiculous this happens. The cluelessness is breathtaking. Tough on tweets. It really is The Thick of It.
  • Options

She's planning to be there, Sunil, early. I know she is hoping to see you there, and also Weejohnny, I believe. Apparently she has something for him. Can't imagine what it might be.

Great news. I'm going to try to get there by 6.00. If I leave Coventry by 4.00 I should make it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,278
    Drop Myleene Petition passes 6000

Would have thought most red blooded males might like that
  • Options
    @paulwaugh

A sacking not a resignation, sounds like. Thornberry sealed her fate by complaining critics 'prejudiced...towards Islington'
  • Options

@Britainelects

Uplands (Swansea):

Wales specific poll due from ITV/Yougov in the next two weeks.

Ed's next disaster.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

Cuts down your MPG too.

Or a white van.

So you're the second greatest person ever to have lived in Colchester.
    Why thank you! But - Who's the greatest?
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Thornberry going over Tweet sets the bar low for future calls for Labour resignations, suspect Labour leadership will regret tonight in time
  • Options
    Roger said:

No split infinitive there. Presumably you object to dividing 'be' from its complement by an adverb, which is not the same thing at all and is perfectly legitimate.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

RodCrosby said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Does that mean simply a greater fall in the Labour vote than in the Tory vote?
    Yes.
This discussion has been closed.