Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Rochester and Harry Hayfield’s local and Westminste

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Rochester and Harry Hayfield’s local and Westminster by-election preview

Bramhall South & Woodford on Stockport (Con Defence)
Result of council at last election (2014): Liberal Democrats 28, Labour 22, Conservatives 10, Independents 3 (No Overall Control, Liberal Democrats short by 4)
Result of ward at last election (2014): Conservatives 1,862 (45%), Liberal Democrats 1,373 (33%), UKIP 538 (13%), Labour 369 (9%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Twonk.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    From twitter:

Osborne throws in the towel on bankers bonus legal challenge
  • Options
    That is a fantastic Marf cartoon :-)
  • Options
    FPT Richard_Tyndall I'm occasionally in Newark visiting my other half's family.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I think it would be great to have a get together and see if we can arrange it for when you are about AF. We seem to have a few PB regulars from Nottingham and Lincoln as well so it would be a nice central point. Maybe in teh SPring when things are starting to get really interesting in the run up to the GE?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    taffys said:

From twitter:

Hm, the DT headline is that Osborne withdrew the challenge, when in fact it was the ECJ advocate General who effectively dismissed the complaint with his opinion which the ECJ rarely goes against.
  • Options
    FPT

Quite right. Kippers have a long history of putsches, purges, splitters and similar feuds.

I know you probably mean that as a rebuke to the party but I actually think it is a bonus. Anything that stops the party leadership thinking they are secure is a good thing as far as I am concerned.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I think it would be great to have a get together and see if we can arrange it for when you are about AF. We seem to have a few PB regulars from Nottingham and Lincoln as well so it would be a nice central point. Maybe in teh SPring when things are starting to get really interesting in the run up to the GE?
    At a push, I can make Nottingham, or thereabouts.
  • Options

Twonk.

Post of the day.

Whatever you do, don't elaborate.
  • Options

antifrank said:

We can get Christmas and the next wave of defectors out of the way :-) and then look at planning a get together maybe?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    No Kipper candidate in Bramhall ?
  • Options
    He's obviously seen a lot of houses with a lot of flags on them,,,,

1m Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
    Labour sources saying Ed Miliband "never been so angry" as when gave @EmilyThornberry dressing down over "that" tweet

1m tom bradby ✔ @tombradby
    Ed Miliband said to be 'absolutely furious' about the Thornberry tweet.

59s tom bradby ✔ @tombradby
    'The angriest I have ever seen him,' according to one source. 'He thinks people should fly the England flag with pride.'
  • Options

antifrank said:

We can get Christmas and the next wave of defectors out of the way :-) and then look at planning a get together maybe?
    A PB meet-up in Nottingham would be great - not a million miles from my betting HQ.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2014

Labour sources saying Ed Miliband "never been so angry" as when gave @EmilyThornberry dressing down over "that" tweet
    'The angriest I have ever seen him,' according to one source. 'He thinks people should fly the England flag with pride.'

Did he sack her? QTWAIN.
  • Options

Amazing that labour HQ thought earlier there was nothing to comment about.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

It's hard enough trying to make people believe you're not (badly) hiding your contempt for the little people without her making tweets like that.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875

FPT

Quite right. Kippers have a long history of putsches, purges, splitters and similar feuds.

I know you probably mean that as a rebuke to the party but I actually think it is a bonus. Anything that stops the party leadership thinking they are secure is a good thing as far as I am concerned.
    Any political party must be considered a means to an end and no more. There's no reason for a party to exist beyond that.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror

So angry he could 'crush a grape'? 'rip a tissue'?

Angry Ed, who got flattened by a plastic pop star...
  • Options
    Good question...

@MShapland: Query: Did Ed Miliband give John McDonnell an 'angry dressing down' for repeating that Esther McVey should be lynched?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Any political party must be considered a means to an end and no more. There's no reason for a party to exist beyond that.

The same is true of any country or institution.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

FPT

I object to leadership cults too.
  • Options
    I suspect that Thornberry will be sacked by the morning. What a disaster, when all the focus should be on Tory potential loss.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

FPT

I object to leadership cults too.
    Yes, religous cults are the only cults I like to be involved with.

And only then if I can the god-like leader.
  • Options
    Mail going to town on it....

"Labour MP who lives in £3million house in Islington is accused of 'outrageous snobbery' after tweeting photo of family home flying St George's flags"

"One senior Labour insider said it was 'worse than the Gillian Duffy moment' when Gordon Brown was recorded calling a voter a 'bigoted woman'"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options

antifrank said:

Yeah, it's about a two-hour drive for me, but an easy one. If it could be combined with a day's racing at Southwell, so much the better.

Remind me nearer the date.
  • Options

I suspect that Thornberry will be sacked by the morning. What a disaster, when all the focus should be on Tory potential loss.

Maybe it was a cunning and successful plan by Labour worthy of the Blair spin era....

Tommorow, everyone will be raging about Thornberry instead of raging about Ed leading labour to third place in a seat they need to win to get a majority.
  • Options

Why?

She's "apologised"

Ed got angry

It's all over. Nothing to see here
  • Options
    taffys said:

From twitter:

That's because there is no byelection tomorrow.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If Ed "has never been so angry" then he needs to get out more.

• Options

Maybe it was a cunning and successful plan by Labour worthy of the Blair spin era....

Tommorow, everyone will be raging about Thornberry instead of raging about Ed leading labour to third place in a seat they need to win to get a majority.
    Tomorrow, everyone will be raving about the fresh, new and exciting UKIP MP, who won the seat for the Tories previously.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why?

She's "apologised"

Ed got angry

It's all over. Nothing to see here
    We'll see. Its possible the result will over-shadow anything going in Labour.
  • Options
    those on the left who think Miliband’s Labour is too posh are using Thornberry’s tweet to prove their point. So the scene is set: Ukip will probably win tomorrow but the biggest loser will be Ed Miliband. The postmortem of tomorrow’s result will include an examination of Labour’s attitude towards the working class voters.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/emily-thornberry-apologises-for-rochester-tweet/
  • Options
    No wonder Ed's cwoss.

We've all been waiting for the spotlight to switch to the expected Tory loss of a 'must win' seat vs the pigdog traitor and yet this tweet puts some of that heat for Cammo at risk as it offers the risk the media will focus as much on how badly Labour does and whether that ties in with being a north london clique who can't connect with scotland and now former consituencies in the south east.

Gove's saying he's 100% sure no defections is breath-taking and 'brave' - that also could look v stupid if he's wrong very soon after.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thornberry's tumbrel tweet is political dynamite. EdM's panicked rage is quite appropriate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

those on the left who think Miliband’s Labour is too posh are using Thornberry’s tweet to prove their point. So the scene is set: Ukip will probably win tomorrow but the biggest loser will be Ed Miliband. The postmortem of tomorrow’s result will include an examination of Labour’s attitude towards the working class voters.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/emily-thornberry-apologises-for-rochester-tweet/

Exactly my point earlier. What a disaster for Labour. Talk about shooting yourself. I really have got to the point where i think it seems Labour will do anything collectively to avoid winning in May.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Peter Oborne compares Hannan and the Tory Right to the Militant tendency and says Cameron needs to follow Kinnock's example and get tough
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11242034/No-sign-yet-of-a-solution-to-the-shambles-within-the-Tory-party.html
  • Options

Exactly my point earlier. What a disaster for Labour. Talk about shooting yourself. I really have got to the point where i think it seems Labour will do anything collectively to avoid winning in May.

I agree with all of that.

And Ed won't sack her.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Re: flags tweet.

England have played two football matches and one rugby match within the last week; hardly surprising that flags were out.

One of the flags is defaced by the West Ham coat of arms. Clearly must be from East London or Essex. I would have thought Charlton would be more appropriate, but it just goes to show how far the WWC has been displaced.

PS. Nice to see Labour getting the UKIP treatment over an essentially harmless tweet.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Thornberry's tumbrel tweet is political dynamite. EdM's panicked rage is quite appropriate.
    Being incandescent about a foolish tweet, but silent over Rotherham, makes him look more out of touch than Thornbery.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Scott_P said:

Being incandescent about a foolish tweet, but silent over Rotherham, makes him look more out of touch than Thornbery.
    Yup ^

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

England have played two football matches and one rugby match within the last week; hardly surprising that flags were out.

One of the flags is defaced by the West Ham coat of arms. Clearly must be from East London or Essex. I would have thought Charlton would be more appropriate, but it just goes to show how far the WWC has been displaced.

PS. Nice to see Labour getting the UKIP treatment over an essentially harmless tweet.

You seriously think the flags were put up for the football?

I've seen Man Utd flags in the Far East. Never realised it was a sign of displacement.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

No wonder Ed's cwoss.

We've all been waiting for the spotlight to switch to the expected Tory loss of a 'must win' seat vs the pigdog traitor and yet this tweet puts some of that heat for Cammo at risk as it offers the risk the media will focus as much on how badly Labour does and whether that ties in with being a north london clique who can't connect with scotland and now former consituencies in the south east.

Gove's saying he's 100% sure no defections is breath-taking and 'brave' - that also could look v stupid if he's wrong very soon after.

I think Gove's comments can be taken in the same spirit as his 'confidence' that Kelly will win.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

"Let them eat cake" is better remembered than the numerous abuses of the French aristocracy.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Thornberry's tweet is hardly on the scale of Gordon's Mrs Duffy moment. I'd call it careless, and nothing that most of the shadow cabinet wouldn't have done in an unguarded moment.

Labour is a middle-class, metropolitan party now and ought to own up to it.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2014

Ninoinoz said:

I pointed out earlier, that my first thought was it was for the football.

There are houses on my suburban street that put england flags up on tuesday & haven't yet taken them down.

It's certainly plausible.

What we need now is the person whose house it is to come onto twitter to justify the reason for hanging the flags, and whether or not they are racist.

Because apparently that matters.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    Ninoinoz said:

A West Ham coat of arms doesn't deface anything. Might be inappropriate of course.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Thornberry's tweet is hardly on the scale of Gordon's Mrs Duffy moment. I'd call it careless, and nothing that most of the shadow cabinet wouldn't have done in an unguarded moment.

Labour is a middle-class, metropolitan party now and ought to own up to it.

Ah, but in Brown's case he just showed contempt for one voter.

Five bellies showed contempt for a whole class of voters, close to a GE.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,966
    Here is Peter Hitchens ripping into Emily Thornberry for her phoney outrage on welfare

(I have applied to be the candidate btw, its actually one of the easier constituencies to get to for me as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W8-z30j8I8
  • Options
    Jeremy Browne‏@JeremyBrowneMP·12 mins12 minutes ago
    @tombradby Yeah, yeah. Furious!! Peeling him off the ceiling!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah. After he'd had it explained to him what the problem was.
  • Options
    Is #veryAngryEd trending yet?
  • Options
    @Mr_Eugenides: Just you wait, we’re going to be inundated with photo-ops of Labour MPs posing in front of England flags for the next month.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ninoinoz said:

A lot of former East End families were moved towards SE London into places like Thamesmead in the 1970s.

Plenty of West Ham that side of the water, though obviously not as many as Essex.
  • Options
    @CaerDaun: @tombradby @chrisg0000 sensing another relaunch?Miliband in an england football shirt on a building site ought to do it- hold the bacon roll
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Mr_Eugenides: Just you wait, we’re going to be inundated with photo-ops of Labour MPs posing in front of England flags for the next month.

That will help them recover in Scotland.
  • Options
    The owner of the white van...

@gallaghereditor: @paulwaugh @bbcnickrobinson you can read all about him in the Daily Mail tomorrow
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Faux patriots desperately chasing votes.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,966
    "In fact, Emily Thornberry’s personal story is a good deal more interesting than her outburst would suggest. She did indeed grow up in a council house, in the absence of her father. But if anyone thought she was just an ordinary working-class girl made good, they were mistaken. Her mother Sallie, alas no longer with us, was a most courageous and distinguished person, and also much-loved by political allies and opponents alike. She was a teacher by profession, and an active and popular Labour councillor who became, despite the privations and difficulties of her life, Mayor of Guildford in Surrey, by no means a Labour town.
    But the family was not fatherless in the sense that it had never had a father. Nor was Sallie Thornberry unmarried. On the contrary, she was married to a distinguished and talented academic lawyer, Cedric Thornberry, who lectured at the London School of Economics, and rose to become Assistant General Secretary of the United Nations. He is still active in the international human rights industry.
    I do not know or seek to know exactly how he came to leave the family home, though he did so when his daughter was seven and his sons even younger. It is perhaps significant that Emily Thornberry omits all reference to him from her entry in ‘Who’s Who’ (those in Who’s Who’ write their own entries), though she does mention her mother. Whatever happened, Emily Thornberry has unpleasant, rather shocking Dickensian memories of bailiffs, and of going off to live in a council house in pretty sharply reduced circumstances."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2012/06/the-phoney-outrage-of-emily-thornberry-slime-factories-on-overtime.html
  • Options
    Miliband in an england football shirt on a building site ought to do it- hold the bacon roll

That should take care of labour's remaining Scottish seats....
  • Options
    Well I'm knackered.

The Tories are going to win Rochester & Strood.

Next May.

I hope.

And the traitorous pig dog will be out on his arse.

And that will be the last time I call him a traitorous pig dog, as he will have been endorsed by the electorate, and the people have spoken, the bastards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Peter Oborne compares Hannan and the Tory Right to the Militant tendency and says Cameron needs to follow Kinnock's example and get tough
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11242034/No-sign-yet-of-a-solution-to-the-shambles-within-the-Tory-party.html

There's obviously something very personal between Peter Oborne and Mark Reckless, although I have no idea what that may be.

The difference between Militant and UKIP is that UKIP have proved they can win, under their own banner. Militant had to run as Labour.
  • Options
    This is a disaster for Labour. What should have been about UKIP triumph and Tory disarray has turned into a row about Labour posh boys. And all over an innocuous photo of a driveway owned by someone who probably votes BNP anyway. Ed was bounced into this by the media and the likes of Watson and Danczuk. Ed should have dismissed it as a trifle and stood by his friend. This smacks of panic. Ed is fearful for his job.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

A lot of former East End families were moved towards SE London into places like Thamesmead in the 1970s.

Plenty of West Ham that side of the water, though obviously not as many as Essex.
    chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

In other words its nothing to do with 'displacement of the WWC'. We now have yet another dog whistle from UKIP allowing them all to be racist without the BNP appendages.

And of course its not 'Labour getting the kipper treatment' it's just UKIP getting the same treatment as every other political party for the ting tong garbage they spout. Who ever thought white skin could be so thin?
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

A West Ham coat of arms doesn't deface anything. Might be inappropriate of course.
    Oh yes it does.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defacement_(flag)
  • Options
    I think the Tories would happily take a single figure loss now if it was combined with a very poor Labour showing plus Thornberry fuss.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Scott_P said:

But its OK to laugh off ting tong comments - even when a further tweet made it clear it was incincere. I think the obsession of kippers is showing through a little too much.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

And that will be the last time I call him a traitorous pig dog, as he will have been endorsed by the electorate, and the people have spoken, the bastards.

As you're on the scene, TSE, do you have any inkling of turnout?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

There's obviously something very personal between Peter Oborne and Mark Reckless, although I have no idea what that may be.

The difference between Militant and UKIP is that UKIP have proved they can win, under their own banner. Militant had to run as Labour.
    UKIP have only proved they can win using a defector incumbent.

When will they gain a seat with a fresh face?
  • Options

In other words its nothing to do with 'displacement of the WWC'. We now have yet another dog whistle from UKIP allowing them all to be racist without the BNP appendages.

I wouldn't say that.

There are two elements.

One is the natural displacement caused by post war rebuilding and a desire for a "better life". The second is "I don't like the way the area is changing, so I'm moving out".

Both are in play.
  • Options
    SeanF Indeed, though Osborne also is critical of Hannan, although not on a personal level. Of course some in Militant split from Labour eg Hatton and Nellist and indeed Nellist ran on a socialist ticket in Coventry splitting the Labour vote in Coventry South and allowing the Tories to win
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

Well it's not going to break any records (high or low)

The Kippers were confident and happy. I think they've comfortably got their vote out.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT

Thanks for your reply on the previous thread, Sean. I agree with you so often, you may pull me into UKIP yet.

Only you can probably understand how hard it is to contemplate a party that you've given your whole life to, always felt was your home and a fundamental part of your identity. I keep hovering between and across the Conservatives and UKIP, and am not sure I fully belong or am welcome in either. But 2015GE will be my last free ticket to the Conservatives, and I already expect to be disappointed.

Hope we get a chance to meet tomorrow night.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

The Kippers were confident and happy. I think they've comfortably got their vote out.
    Care to state a figure, percentage wise?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

I was only there in the morning, I'm getting stuff from other people.

The Loonies are confident of beating the Lib Dems, and I think Labour's support has stayed at home/collapsed.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

No wonder Ed's cwoss.

It would make Cameron look even stupider.

Gove was quite cross about that demotion.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Oh yes it does.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defacement_(flag)
    It would have been helpful if you had added the following comment from the site you quoted.

"In the context of vexillology, the word "deface" carries no negative connotations, in contrast to general usage. It simply indicates differentiation of the flag from that of another owner by addition of elements."

But I'm grateful for the alternative meaning of deface in this context. One can always learn something!
  • Options
    Oh the other amusing thing.

I was wearing my Cross of St George cuff links today.

If only I had met Emily Thornberry.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

I thought you said when the aforesaid TPD left that he was going to be out on his fat arse in the by-election.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

And of course its not 'Labour getting the kipper treatment' it's just UKIP getting the same treatment as every other political party for the ting tong garbage they spout. Who ever thought white skin could be so thin?
    Do you write full-time for the Guardian?

• Options

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

Well done... this will cheer you up with the picture

General Boles‏@GeneralBoles·15m15 minutes ago
    and you end in the grotesque chaos of a Labour MP, a Labour MP, scuttling around #Rochester taking pictures of flags
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

I was only there in the morning, I'm getting stuff from other people.

The Loonies are confident of beating the Lib Dems, and I think Labour's support has stayed at home/collapsed.
    Why would you go out of the front door and vote Labour? You either don't bother or vote UKIP to ensure the Tories lose badly...
  • Options

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

I thought you said when the aforesaid TPD left that he was going to be out on his fat arse in the by-election.
    I hoped he would be, but I'm more confident Lord A's polling with ultimately be borne out.
  • Options

That sort of thing cheers me up. I'd like to hear a bit more of that from fellow (traditional) Tories. Nothing to be ashamed of in being English, and masses to be proud of: we're a fantastic people, with a terrific history and a beautiful country.

There's nowhere else on earth like here. I find seeing the flag flying warming and heartening.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP have only proved they can win using a defector incumbent.

When will they gain a seat with a fresh face?
    May 2015.

• Options
    UKIP voters far more likely to think life was better 20-30 years ago than the rest of the population, including Tories
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/20/why-ukips-rivals-are-fighting-wrong-battle/
  • Options
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Ninoinoz said:

I've seen Man Utd flags in the Far East. Never realised it was a sign of displacement.
    You don't get glory hunters supporting West Ham. That's another split between the working class and the Islington types. The former support either their Dad's club or, if he doesn't have one, the nearest one to their house. The prawn sandwich brigade choose whichever club is the trendy successful one when they got into football.
  • Options
    Also, I expect Michael Gove to be the winner of this year's Rogerdarmus award for political predictions.

Today he said

1) He'd bet on Kelly winning and collecting

2) There would be no more defections.

I expect he will be proven wrong on both counts shortly.
  • Options

That sort of thing cheers me up. I'd like to hear a bit more of that from fellow (traditional) Tories. Nothing to be ashamed of in being English, and masses to be proud of: we're a fantastic people, with a terrific history and a beautiful country.

There's nowhere else on earth like here. I find seeing the flag flying warming and heartening.
    Ever since the World Cup there's been one locally at what appears to be half-mast.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    More voters would vote Green than UKIP if they thought they could win in their seat, Labour and Tories top, LDs last
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/20/greens-would-soar-if-voters-thought-they-could-win/
  • Options

The reason I wore them today, was I thought, they'd be more apt, rather wearing a few of my more expensive £100 a pop Paul Smith/Hugh Boss cuff links.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    The nearest League football club to Rochester & Strood is Gillingham FC, not Charlton.

There was controversy a few years back when Charlton, then in the Premier League but unable to fill their ground, laid on free coach travel from various areas of east Kent on match days to encourage new support from Kent. Gillingham were upset about this, though the issue has passed as Charlton are no longer a Prem club.

Incidentally, Gillingham fans view Millwall as their 'derby'.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

That is a fantastic Marf cartoon :-)

Old-hat, sorry to say (at least re content). The Guardian had a whole article about UKIP when reviewing the film.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Also, I expect Michael Gove to be the winner of this year's Rogerdarmus award for political predictions.

Today he said

As one pigdog becomes legitimised, more wait in the wings.. perhaps waiting enough so they don't force a by-election?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

chestnut said:

Ninoinoz said:

Do you write full-time for the Guardian?

It's just projection Sean. He's the sort of person that was fine with black people getting deported his whole life, but suddenly gets outraged at the suggestion it could happen to white people. The main reason he's angry at UKIP is that they've given the voters a legitimate outlet for immigration concern, and thus harm the chances of his secret love: the BNP.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Everybody put up their St George flags yet?

ET sums up metropolitan Labour oh so very well.
  • Options
    There have been references on Twitter to R&S postal votes. It is a criminal offence to post such data before polls close. Please do not do so here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Today he said

As one pigdog becomes legitimised, more wait in the wings.. perhaps waiting enough so they don't force a by-election?
    On the train back, I spent two hours coming up with more insults for any further defectors.

I'm particularly proud of one.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

The nearest League football club to Rochester & Strood is Gillingham FC, not Charlton.

There was controversy a few years back when Charlton, then in the Premier League but unable to fill their ground, laid on free coach travel from various areas of east Kent on match days to encourage new support from Kent. Gillingham were upset about this, though the issue has passed as Charlton are no longer a Prem club.

Incidentally, Gillingham fans view Millwall as their 'derby'.

The West Kent school attended by one of my grandchildren was, not too long ago, given free tickets by Crystal Palace.

Sadly, one of his uncles (from his mothers side, not mine) actually supports Millwall
  • Options
    taffys said:

From twitter:

Didn't Richard Nabavi say that he'd support leaving if this went through?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2014

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

The two bookies covering this market (Laddies & SkyBet) have been solid all day on it being around the 50% mark. I'm not sure how they judge such things, particularly with a substantial postal vote, but I'd be surprised if they were more than 2% - 3% wrong.
This discussion has been closed.