Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on Rochester and Harry Hayfield’s local and Westminste

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Oh the other amusing thing.

I was wearing my Cross of St George cuff links today.

If only I had met Emily Thornberry.

That sort of thing cheers me up. I'd like to hear a bit more of that from fellow (traditional) Tories. Nothing to be ashamed of in being English, and masses to be proud of: we're a fantastic people, with a terrific history and a beautiful country.

There's nowhere else on earth like here. I find seeing the flag flying warming and heartening.
    The reason I wore them today, was I thought, they'd be more apt, rather wearing a few of my more expensive £100 a pop Paul Smith/Hugh Boss cuff links.
    Those Hugh Boss ones might be Jekyll, hope you kept the reciept
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gabyhinsliff: Re Emily Thornberry, biggest earful I ever got from Team Brown was for rubbishing GB's call for us all to fly flag at home like Yanks.

@gabyhinsliff: In other words, the flag thing actually matters to them. It's not just a passing annoyance.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited November 2014

The nearest League football club to Rochester & Strood is Gillingham FC, not Charlton.

There was controversy a few years back when Charlton, then in the Premier League but unable to fill their ground, laid on free coach travel from various areas of east Kent on match days to encourage new support from Kent. Gillingham were upset about this, though the issue has passed as Charlton are no longer a Prem club.

Incidentally, Gillingham fans view Millwall as their 'derby'.

The West Kent school attended by one of my grandchildren was, not too long ago, given free tickets by Crystal Palace.

Sadly, one of his uncles (from his mothers side, not mine) actually supports Millwall
    I'm of West Kent (and thus, unlike 'Man of Kent', a Kentish Man) and I'm a Palace season-ticket holder.

At my school, we only ever got tickets for QPR! Little logic.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

There have been references on Twitter to R&S postal votes. It is a criminal offence to post such data before polls close. Please do not do so here.

Someone gave details of an old poll on the last thread, so porridge for you anyway I am afraid.

• Options
    Uh oh

@EmilyThornberry: Wow great house in Lidney Rd #turnout marvin4bristol http://t.co/MFhgf4fN
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Didn't Richard Nabavi say that he'd support leaving if this went through?

I don't know.

The pattern is always the same. They b8tch and moan, they fight, and then they lose.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

The Tories are going to win Rochester & Strood.

Next May.

I hope.

And the traitorous pig dog will be out on his arse.

And that will be the last time I call him a traitorous pig dog, as he will have been endorsed by the electorate, and the people have spoken, the bastards.

As you're on the scene, TSE, do you have any inkling of turnout?
    Well it's not going to break any records (high or low)

The Kippers were confident and happy. I think they've comfortably got their vote out.
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

And that will be the last time I call him a traitorous pig dog, as he will have been endorsed by the electorate, and the people have spoken, the bastards.

The Kippers were confident and happy. I think they've comfortably got their vote out.
    Care to state a figure, percentage wise?
    The two bookies covering this market (Laddies & SkyBet) have been solid all day on it being around the 50% mark. I'm not sure how they judge such things, particularly with a substantial postal vote, but I'd be surprised if they were more than 2% - 3% wrong.
    Looks like my confidence in under 50% was a bit overstated if reports are anything to go by... I really thought it would be closer to 40 and the only chance the Tories had was a low turnout.

If its much over 50% I think UKIP could win by 15%+
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@gabyhinsliff: Re Emily Thornberry, biggest earful I ever got from Team Brown was for rubbishing GB's call for us all to fly flag at home like Yanks.

@gabyhinsliff: In other words, the flag thing actually matters to them. It's not just a passing annoyance.

"them" = the Labour party? The lower orders? non-Londoners?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Floater said:

Everybody put up their St George flags yet?

ET sums up metropolitan Labour oh so very well.

I thought about hanging out my flag, but didn't want to attract too many Labour canvassers!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

More voters would vote Green than UKIP if they thought they could win in their seat, Labour and Tories top, LDs last
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/20/greens-would-soar-if-voters-thought-they-could-win/

I remember polls like this saying many people would support the Liberals (pre SDP and LibDems days) if they thought they could win in their constituency. Nothing's new under the sun.
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

The two bookies covering this market (Laddies & SkyBet) have been solid all day on it being around the 50% mark. I'm not sure how they judge such things, particularly with a substantial postal vote, but I'd be surprised if they were more than 2% - 3% wrong.
    Looks like my confidence in under 50% was a bit overstated if reports are anything to go by...

I thought the only chance the Tories had was a low turnout, if its much over 50% I think UKIP could win by 15%+
    Remind us.What was your prediction for S Yorks PCC

• Options
    edited November 2014

isam said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

Looks like my confidence in under 50% was a bit overstated if reports are anything to go by...

I thought the only chance the Tories had was a low turnout, if its much over 50% I think UKIP could win by 15%+

Cons by 10%

You tipped UKIP as a good bet didn't you?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    I've just looked at the Thornberry tweet. I'm not sure I get the significance. It's the sort of snap anyone might take and it didn't seem to be accompanied by any type.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,030

RobD said:

Also, I expect Michael Gove to be the winner of this year's Rogerdarmus award for political predictions.

Today he said

1) He'd bet on Kelly winning and collecting

2) There would be no more defections.

I expect he will be proven wrong on both counts shortly.

As one pigdog becomes legitimised, more wait in the wings.. perhaps waiting enough so they don't force a by-election?
    On the train back, I spent two hours coming up with more insults for any further defectors.

I'm particularly proud of one.
    Keep it ready for the eventual thread header ;)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

He's obviously seen a lot of houses with a lot of flags on them,,,,

1m Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
    Labour sources saying Ed Miliband "never been so angry" as when gave @EmilyThornberry dressing down over "that" tweet

1m tom bradby ✔ @tombradby
    Ed Miliband said to be 'absolutely furious' about the Thornberry tweet.

59s tom bradby ✔ @tombradby
    'The angriest I have ever seen him,' according to one source. 'He thinks people should fly the England flag with pride.'

Must be pissed that the working class have a clearer idea of how they are viewed by the Labour elite.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Also, I expect Michael Gove to be the winner of this year's Rogerdarmus award for political predictions.

Today he said

As one pigdog becomes legitimised, more wait in the wings.. perhaps waiting enough so they don't force a by-election?
    On the train back, I spent two hours coming up with more insults for any further defectors.

If it happens between 5pm and midnight tomorrow, it maybe more the language of Malcolm Tucker.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Uh oh

@EmilyThornberry: Wow great house in Lidney Rd #turnout marvin4bristol http://t.co/MFhgf4fN

Oh blimey!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Today he said

If it happens between 5pm and midnight tomorrow, it maybe more the language of Malcolm Tucker.
    Whenever people are being indecisive about getting into a lift, I think of him
  • Options

isam said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Well I'm knackered.

Next May.

I hope.

I was talking about under 50% turnout by the way
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Today he said

I've never seen anyone look so fucking ugly with just one head!.....Who was it that did your media training? Myra Hindley? It's terrible! All these hands all over the place! You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra! It was like watching John Leslie at work!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
    Labour sources saying Ed Miliband "never been so angry" as when gave @EmilyThornberry dressing down over "that" tweet

So angry he could 'crush a grape'? 'rip a tissue'?

Angry Ed, who got flattened by a plastic pop star...
    If Ed "has never been so angry" then he needs to get out more.

I struggle to imagine Ed being angry .

Slightly vexed at a push.

Not talking about his artificial anger at PMQ's
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,308
    RichardTyndall posted an interesting link earlier today showing MPs backgrounds. The most popular school Eton followed by Millfield, the most popular university Oxford followed by Cambridge, the most popular degree politics followed by law. Perhaps no surprise then we have a PM who went to Eton and Oxford and studied PPE!

http://www.parliamentaryrecord.com/content/statAnalysis/by-education.aspx
  • Options
    Logicalsong Indeed, under FPTP it is of little consequence, though interesting the LDs have dropped from first to last in the poll
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror

So angry he could 'crush a grape'? 'rip a tissue'?

Angry Ed, who got flattened by a plastic pop star...
    If Ed "has never been so angry" then he needs to get out more.

Thornberry's tumbrel tweet is political dynamite. EdM's panicked rage is quite appropriate.
    Being incandescent about a foolish tweet, but silent over Rotherham, makes him look more out of touch than Thornbery.
    Well said sir
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014
    Roger said:

I've just looked at the Thornberry tweet. I'm not sure I get the significance. It's the sort of snap anyone might take and it didn't seem to be accompanied by any type.

That boat sailed a long time ago.

She removed the text from the tweet.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Political earthquake … Seismic … Cataclysmic … Ground-breaking … End of Tory hopes … UKIP here to stay … Tsunami … Earth will stop turning … Fantasist Tories … winter is coming …

Just thought I'd air the bollocks first.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Today he said

I've never seen anyone look so fucking ugly with just one head!.....Who was it that did your media training? Myra Hindley? It's terrible! All these hands all over the place! You were like a sweaty octopus trying to unhook a bra! It was like watching John Leslie at work!
    Might have to binge on some Thick of It later on....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Floater said:

I thought about hanging out my flag, but didn't want to attract too many Labour canvassers!
    Never had you down as a Chav!!

Are you at DD tomorrow? Will you be wearing your Burberry Baseball cap?

I will have my I love the NHS badge on!!
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Even UKIP can't tempt WhiteVanMan at centre of Twitter row: "I've not voted yet + I'm probably not going to vote" http://t.co/P4Dm3UQ9LL
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Political earthquake … Seismic … Cataclysmic … Ground-breaking … End of Tory hopes … UKIP here to stay … Tsunami … Earth will stop turning … Fantasist Tories … winter is coming …

You forgot 'Tipping Point' & 'Boom!'
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
    I pity them. They've trawled through two years of her tweets to find that.
  • Options

Floater said:

No EMICIPM? Disappointed! ;)
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Roger said:

Usual sad Tory bigotry Roger.
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
    It would seem so! Back UKIP for Islington South, you heard it here first!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Put them away
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BenM said:

Roger said:

Delusional. Have you seen who the prime movers of this are? Clue, it's not the Tories.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Roger said:

Ffs, led by Tom Watson, danzcuk and the incandescent ed
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    You knew it had to happen - the deep freeze in most of the US and the 6 feet of snow so far and the 2-3 feet to come in the next 2 days in Buffalo are blamed on - yup yup - global warming.

Is there anything not caused by global warming? Is the Rochester byelection affected by it?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    RobD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
    Wasn't that exactly what Labour and The Tories were doing to UKIP candidates not so long ago?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Even UKIP can't tempt WhiteVanMan at centre of Twitter row: "I've not voted yet + I'm probably not going to vote" http://t.co/P4Dm3UQ9LL

It typifies the sad level of hysteria we have sunk to. When you think how UKIP howled when Reckless' total hypocricy over local development was exposed it makes it even more sad.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
    Wasn't that exactly what Labour and The Tories were doing to UKIP candidates not so long ago?
    Yeah, I just pity them for having to do it!
  • Options

Floater said:

I was issued one recently, to wear alongside my 25 year badge. I have only worked in the NHS 23 years, so evidence of poor numeracy of our managers!

Sadly, I have an afternoon clinic so will have to get refreshed elsewhere. I will try to make a Nottingham drinkies if one happens.
  • Options
    saddened said:

BenM said:

Roger said:

Delusional. Have you seen who the prime movers of this are? Clue, it's not the Tories.
    Quite right. It's Ed's enemies within the Labour Party who've been stirring it up. Ed should have stood by Thornberry, dismissed it as trivia and told Watson and Danczuk where to stick it.
  • Options

No, because the result is going to be pretty much as expected by everyone except you.

• Options
    TimB Indeed, and the heatwave in the summer was blamed on global warming too! Have you managed to stay a bit warmer in Georgia? I think there are going to be some more snowbirds retiring to Florida for the winter, though even there it has not been too warm at night apparently
  • Options
    @nfl: Jets vs. Bills will not be played Sunday in Buffalo: http://t.co/DaCyzBPRsF

(Photo: @BuffaloBills) http://t.co/5wBqM8bAgA
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

That is a fantastic Marf cartoon :-)

Old-hat, sorry to say (at least re content). The Guardian had a whole article about UKIP when reviewing the film.

Wee Jonnie, you are harsh! For one, I had the idea yesterday, but wanted to draw the sweet shop cartoon instead; so I reserved five to six hours today to draw this one, after thinking carefully about how to do it, the scale, the setting, the caption, the mood. Cartoonists need to be quick on the draw - we had five editions a day when I was editorial cartoonist at the Evening Standard, and pocket cartoonist before that. But I wanted this one to be special. I didn't want to rush it. I knew it was going to be a long night for all of you. So I wanted to be your entertainer - give a little comic relief while you waited for the polls to close and the results to come in from Rochester.

You try drawing a cartoon and let me have a look at it. And be quick! You try and beat all the papers and all the other cartoonists - every day - come on! Hurry up! Be original! Now, all the time, every day - and oh by the way, did I mention you won't get paid, either? That's right - you're doing it out of devotion to Mike and to PB and despite sniping comments like yours.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

Put them away
    What! You've got bollocks under your skirt @audreyanne, how peculiar.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Swiss_Bob said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Uh oh

Oh blimey!
    Pants on fire....?
    If these parties want to be taken seriously rather than being also rans they are going to have to get used to the same level of scrutiny as us
  • Options

Floater said:

I was issued one recently, to wear alongside my 25 year badge. I have only worked in the NHS 23 years, so evidence of poor numeracy of our managers!

Sadly, I have an afternoon clinic so will have to get refreshed elsewhere. I will try to make a Nottingham drinkies if one happens.
    Good look forward to meeting you at a future event.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Roger said:

It's the sort of snap anyone might take

...if they're some sort of upper/middle class leftie trying to suggest something about the type of voter in the area voting UKIP.

She might actually be right. What she hasn't factored in is that they used to be Labour voters who have a level of loathing for Labour luvvies in £3 million houses in Islington.

They are genuine Labourists. Working class people. She's the fake.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    UKIP 50% to 55% just got matched at over 8.

But 45% to 50% is still favourite - looks like median expectation is about 46%.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@nfl: Jets vs. Bills will not be played Sunday in Buffalo: http://t.co/DaCyzBPRsF

(Photo: @BuffaloBills) http://t.co/5wBqM8bAgA

When I lived in Toronto many years ago I was a regular attendee at Bills games in Buffalo at what was then called Rich Stadium - lake effect snow is something to see. It's wet, big flakes and amazingly heavy.
  • Options
    Have any of the Tory Rochester team found the Kitchen Sink Dave promised to throw.

If you zoom in on the white van I think you can see it.
  • Options

The nearest League football club to Rochester & Strood is Gillingham FC, not Charlton.

There was controversy a few years back when Charlton, then in the Premier League but unable to fill their ground, laid on free coach travel from various areas of east Kent on match days to encourage new support from Kent. Gillingham were upset about this, though the issue has passed as Charlton are no longer a Prem club.

Incidentally, Gillingham fans view Millwall as their 'derby'.

I remember THOSE match days

"there's only one Andy Hessenthaler"!!

Not to forget Iffy Onoura
  • Options
    Isam

Just flicking through the last thread I see you might be the UKIP candidate for Islington. Well done!.

I was thinking of offering you my services pro bono. I put a few thoughts together I don't know what you think......

Open on a slow motion flag of St George unfurling. Cut to low angle fleet of white vans moving through frame right to left sound of engines. SFX slow drum beat. Mix through more flags until the whole screen is filled with them.

Camera moves through the flags as SFX introduces sound of cheering. Cut to perfectly polished black leather shoes heels resolutely clicking together. Slow pan up pin striped suit to reveal Nigel Farage sporting a neatly trimmed moustache. Cheering reaches crescendo as he turns to his left and there grinning from ear to ear is the new candidate for Islington. Our very own Isam......

Am I on the right lines?

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    saddened said:

BenM said:

Roger said:

It is actually.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Roger said:

That boat sailed a long time ago.

She removed the text from the tweet.
    So what was the text?

• Options
    Socrates said:

Ninoinoz said:

Re: flags tweet.

England have played two football matches and one rugby match within the last week; hardly surprising that flags were out.

One of the flags is defaced by the West Ham coat of arms. Clearly must be from East London or Essex. I would have thought Charlton would be more appropriate, but it just goes to show how far the WWC has been displaced.

PS. Nice to see Labour getting the UKIP treatment over an essentially harmless tweet.

You seriously think the flags were put up for the football?

I've seen Man Utd flags in the Far East. Never realised it was a sign of displacement.
    You don't get glory hunters supporting West Ham. That's another split between the working class and the Islington types. The former support either their Dad's club or, if he doesn't have one, the nearest one to their house. The prawn sandwich brigade choose whichever club is the trendy successful one when they got into football.

I do enjoy Socrates on the working class. All Man Utd fans outside Manchester are effete metropolitans. Ditto with non-scouser Liverpool supporters. Who'd have thunk it?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    10 minutes to go. Do we get an exit poll?
  • Options
    BenM said:

saddened said:

BenM said:

Roger said:

It is actually.
    It isn't, actually. You still don't get it about ed. No doubt if he were about 15-20% less crap the tories would be deploying all kind of dirty tricks to highlight and emphasise his crapness. As things are, no need.

• Options
    Roger said:

Isam

Just flicking through the last thread I see you might be the UKIP candidate for Islington. Well done!.

I was thinking of offering you my services pro bono. I put a few thoughts together I don't know what you think......

Open on a slow motion flag of St George unfurling. Cut to low angle fleet of white vans moving through frame right to left sound of engines. SFX slow drum beat. Mix through more flags until the whole screen is filled with them.

Camera moves through the flags as SFX introduces sound of cheering. Cut to perfectly polished black leather shoes heels resolutely clicking together. Slow pan up pin striped suit to reveal Nigel Farage sporting a neatly trimmed moustache. Cheering reaches crescendo as he turns to his left and there grinning from ear to ear is the new candidate for Islington. Our very own Isam......

Am I on the right lines?

Not really, sounds a bit formulaic and old hat

Don't call us etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimB Indeed, and the heatwave in the summer was blamed on global warming too! Have you managed to stay a bit warmer in Georgia? I think there are going to be some more snowbirds retiring to Florida for the winter, though even there it has not been too warm at night apparently

We're back in the 50s today and 60s tomorrow, which is normal for this time of year.

Homes here are not built for the cold - mainly wood and siding, with 5 inch walls and 9 foot ceilings. Designed for cooling rather than heating. My gas bill last month - which I paid today - was $16. I shudder to think what next minth will be.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

Put them away
    What! You've got bollocks under your skirt @audreyanne, how peculiar.
    The Mrs Doubtfire photo is a rather strong hint...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam

Am I on the right lines?

I hope the tampon ads were a bit less feeble.

• Options
    Roger said:

Isam

Am I on the right lines?

Nobody has ever accused you of originality have they?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    POETWAS. 51 r/ts of her endorsement of a pic of a St George's flags with one of Labour's finest.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "A senior Labour source at the heart of the Rochester campaign said he thought Ukip could be pushing towards 50% of the vote."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2014/nov/20/polls-rochester-strood-byelection-mark-reckless-ukip-live
  • Options
    One Cabinet Minister told the Mail on Sunday that "if Reckless wins Rochester, there'll be 46 names', a reference to the number of Tory MPs who would be required to force a leadership contest. The minister said that the vote would fail but prove to be "very damaging" for the Prime Minister.

Wonder if this comes true or not.

Cant see it myself.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

Old-hat, sorry to say (at least re content). The Guardian had a whole article about UKIP when reviewing the film.

Wee Jonnie, you are harsh! For one, I had the idea yesterday, but wanted to draw the sweet shop cartoon instead; so I reserved five to six hours today to draw this one, after thinking carefully about how to do it, the scale, the setting, the caption, the mood. Cartoonists need to be quick on the draw - we had five editions a day when I was editorial cartoonist at the Evening Standard, and pocket cartoonist before that. But I wanted this one to be special. I didn't want to rush it. I knew it was going to be a long night for all of you. So I wanted to be your entertainer - give a little comic relief while you waited for the polls to close and the results to come in from Rochester.

You try drawing a cartoon and let me have a look at it. And be quick! You try and beat all the papers and all the other cartoonists - every day - come on! Hurry up! Be original! Now, all the time, every day - and oh by the way, did I mention you won't get paid, either? That's right - you're doing it out of devotion to Mike and to PB and despite sniping comments like yours.
    Don't let the buggers drag you down Marf. I love your cartoons. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    BenM said:

saddened said:

BenM said:

Roger said:

It is actually.
    The media are only filling the public appetite so clearly shown on Twitter, blogs etc. They are following, not leading.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Polls closing in 5 mins.... I'm on my way to Rochester for the early morning shift. Result might not be in till... 4AM.
  • Options
    BenM said:

saddened said:

BenM said:

Roger said:

It is actually.
    It isn't actually, the Tories are standing back pissing themselves at the ineptitude.
  • Options
    TimB Indeed, do you have a fireplace for a log fire?
  • Options
    Edwina Currie just entered 'I'm a Celebrity' on ITV
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"A senior Labour source at the heart of the Rochester campaign said he thought Ukip could be pushing towards 50% of the vote."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2014/nov/20/polls-rochester-strood-byelection-mark-reckless-ukip-live

If true, this would be good for those of us who picked up on OGH's cue yesterday to buy Sporting's spread offer price of 44.5%.
    Early days yet of course ...... the poll booths have yet to close ...... in one minute's time!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Saddened

"Nobody has ever accused you of originality have they?"

Well done.Not everyone would ave spotted that was straight out of Leni Riefenstahl 'Triumph of the Will' (with a few embellishments). I don't think the client will notice
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam
    Am I on the right lines?

In the style of Leni Riefenstahl?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,137
    I do wonder, and I am surely not alone, how Rochester might have gone down had Labour lost Heywood. Unable to ignore the UKIP threat, which at present they shouldn't but can probably can handle doing, as a result, would Cameron's need for an Anti-UKIP vote to harness around his candidate have been enough to counter the UKIP base and the give the government a kicking base, as the need for both to stop UKIP's momentum took hold.

Oh well, UKIP winning is more interesting still I guess, although for entertainment value now I maintain a Tory win would be hilarious.
  • Options

Floater said:

Should I pop round and tell my Asian neighbours that you think they are chavs?

Seems Emily is not alone in her views
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimB Indeed, do you have a fireplace for a log fire?

Fireplace yes. Logs no.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Lots of Labour frothing evident.

They're well below 20%, aren't they?

• Options
    @faisalislam: And polls closed: latest briefings...No surprises, senior Ukip playing down expectations of immediate defections, Labour vote cd have halved
  • Options
    edited November 2014

weejonnie said:

Absolutely, Mike only posts once or twice a day, most blogs you want to have one for the morning, one for lunchtime, etc up to four a day, every day. It is very, very difficult to remain interesting and original.

Credit to you and to Mike (and others) for keeping the blog interesting, though in Mike's case he has gifts like Thornberry which gets everyone commenting regardless of the post ;-)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Saddened

Well done.Not everyone would ave spotted that was straight out of Leni Riefenstahl 'Triumph of the Will' (with a few embellishments). I don't think the client will notice

They don't normally. But to be fair the amount of recycling you do your green credentials are well burnished.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    This is incredible - Democrats are comparing tonight's Obama executive action announcement on immigration to Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation proclamation
  • Options
    TimB Looks like some weekend logging is in order!
  • Options
    Thanks, Tim_B. I'll switch from coffee to chamomile tea now ;)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Saddened

"Nobody has ever accused you of originality have they?"

Ah! I have never heard of it, but glad I picked up on the fact that it sounded old fashioned
  • Options

AndyJS said:

If true, this would be good for those of us who picked up on OGH's cue yesterday to buy Sporting's spread offer price of 44.5%.
    Early days yet of course ...... the poll booths have yet to close ...... in one minute's time!
    I've never won any serious money betting on politics before, but if UKIP get between 50 and 55% I'll be able to open a small bottle of something, so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    The Tories are within reach of a win in the GE with Labour in crisis and yet some Tory MPs are supposedly talking about a leadership challenge because of a by-election result! Bonkers. The self indulgent clowns will deserve to lose if they challenge Cameron now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    BBC News - young black woman in Rochester voted UKIP "to see what they're like".
  • Options
    http://news.sky.com/story/1377357/ukip-hopes-high-as-rochester-polls-close

What we seasoned observers realised from the Reckless nonsense last night then. Single figure UKIP win? Or is Farage now dampening in order to pump tomorrow?

Either way, Kle4 got it spot on last night: UKIP are no different from the rest. Flannel. Dissemination and Spin.

Sad really. The romantic in me liked the idea of a successful party that was different. They aren't.
  • Options

Thanks, Tim_B. I'll switch from coffee to chamomile tea now ;)

A surfeit of scotch will help you sleep better :-)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,588
    On the topic of the locals: Bramhall South and Woodford* is another very nice part of the world, and as Tory as Stockport MBC gets, and one of the wealthiest corners of the North of England. But the big issue locally - and who knows what effect it will have on the election - is SMBC's decision to grant planning permission for 950 houses on the Green Belt on the edge of Woodford. Now, I think SMBC were quite right to make the decision: the site is a defunct factory (ex-BAe), currently inaccesible to the public, and surely a much worse neighbour than some really quite nice houses*, but none of that detracts from the passions involved.

*I grew up a couple of miles away in Cheadle Hulme. Less exalted, but probably an even nicer place to live. For all its chichi charms, the pubs in Bramhall are rubbish.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Breaking: Sun reader insulted by Emily Thornberry's flag photo hits back: "I've not got a clue who she is - but she's a snob".
  • Options
    Remember with Ashcroft we're looking at:
    44% UKIP
    32% Con
    17% Lab
    2% LibDem.

I bet now that he has massively overstated Labour as usual.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014

The Tories are within reach of a win in the GE with Labour in crisis and yet some Tory MPs are supposedly talking about a leadership challenge because of a by-election result! Bonkers. The self indulgent clowns will deserve to lose if they challenge Cameron now.

The Tory party is jam packed with self serving idiot MPs.
This discussion has been closed.