Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium poll that “slipped out” has CON ahead with the LDs

Comments

• Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

The British public back Ed Miliband's plan to tax houses worth more than £2m, according to a poll from YouGov for The Times.

The survey found that 30% of respondents "tended to support" the "mansion tax" proposal and 42% of people "strongly supported" the policy.

But only 7% of respondents said they "strongly opposed" the idea and 11% said they "tended to oppose" the plan.

From The Times 24/9/14

Of course. The politics of envy. We all support a tax of someone else has to pay. I'd happily support a tax on vegan and halal food.

Wonder how many would support this tax if they had to pay it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    edited November 2014

FPT..The Mansion tax will soon be applied to a 3 bed inner city terrace..anyone who thinks it wont be is a fool...

Not if it is in the form of bands I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S etc. of the Council tax. That would likely involve people in bands A-G paying less council tax.
    But that's not Labour's proposal is it?

They seem to be saying that people in houses worth between £2 - 3 mio will only pay £250 per month more and that people in houses worth even more will pay squillions. But the sums raised are either footling amounts which will achieve the square root of bugger all in relation to the NHS or the amounts paid will have to be very very much greater or the threshold will have to come down significantly at which point we're not talking about taxing rich luvvies but about taxing the squeezed middle of which Labour used to be so fond.

It doesn't really add up.

If they're going to tax property why not use the revenues to build houses. I'm fed up with the NHS being seen as the only legitimate expense of government as if it's some sort of sacred cow. It is one of many competing priorities and it's about time all parties understood that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    edited November 2014
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

The LDs are probably not finished, not least because they're almost certainly not on 5% but more like 8. However, I wouldn't read too much into their past recoveries as a guide to the present.
    I suspect you are correct, but at present it's about the only hope they have. It might have worked if UKIP had done well but gotten no seats and lost momentum after 2015, but they seem guaranteed to win some (no more than 5 I hope, I have money on that) and either have a referendum to prepare for or the lack of one to mobilize them still, not leaving much protest vote ground to return to the LDs.

kle4 said:

The L.

Against which, there is barely a part of the Lib Dem electoral coalition that is not under attack from Con, Lab, UKIP, Green, nationalist, independents or others. They may not be unique among the old parties in having old certainties challenged but they are most vulnerable.

Sounds about right. A vulnerability without a clear fix at present. A shame, as it would be nice to have more than 2.5 major parties in UK terms, perhaps 2 big and 2 moderately sized, but it looks tough.
    The LD leadership has GOT to come up with something fresh, dramatic and "go-for-able" immediately after Christmas.

At the moment they seem to be in the position of the old Punch (remember that?) cartoon, where a squad of trainees is marching towards a cliff. The drill sergeant looks on, struck dumb!

The caption reads "Say SOMETHING, if it's only Goodbye!"

And Clegg is, in this context, the drill sergeant.

I'm one of those who thought in 2010 that "there was no alternative" but there must some sort of opportunity somewhere now. Surely to God!
  • Options

Todays Opinium LAB 318 CON 291 LD 11

EICIPM

Oh no he isn't
    Is it pantomime season already?

It is when the Leader of the Opposition and supposed PM in seven months time gets slaughtered by Myleene Klass
    Did you see it?

Myleene made a fool of herself comparing a glass of water with a mansion and claiming you can barely get a garage for £2m.

It was win win win for Ed

Have you not seen the polling on the mansion tax?

No she didn't, no it isn't and yes I have.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Ninoinoz said:

EICIPM

Oh no he isn't

It is when the Leader of the Opposition and supposed PM in seven months time gets slaughtered by Myleene Klass
    I haven't joined in the Ed is Crap bullying because it didn't seem to be based on anything other than a few missed paragraphs in a speech and a vague 'weirdness' factor coming from equally weird people.

However, in his comeback speech, he said he was going to take on UKIP. Farage offered a showdown and Ed chickened out. Very unimpressive.

Yesterday, we were treated to his being roughed up by a manufactured pop starlette.

Why does his mother let him out to play with those rough UKIP boys and celebrity girls without his big brother David being on hand to see he doesn't come home with a bloody nose?

It'll be like being slapped by soggy quinoa leaves.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Are Labour supporters really as stupid as they are trying to make out tonight?

I presume it must be deliberate, but they are spectacularly missing the point regarding the fragrant Ms Klass.

The issue isn't whether the London House tax is popular, or whether Ms Klass is a woman of sound principles, or how rich she is, but something much more simple: that your leader, a PPE graduate, professional politician, experienced debater, former Cabinet minister, and (God help us) your candidate for Prime Minister in a few months' time, wasn't able to debate with her coherently.

You do see the point, I hope?

Ed's crapness/uselessness is something even most Labour supporters accept.

But the point, as far as I see it, is about the policy itself. People on the right are continually insisting that there's no public appetite for some "soak the rich" politics. But the reaction to Klassgate, with even top-rated Daily Mail comments being along the lines of "this greedy rich brat can cry me a river", shows that's clearly not true.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

The LDs are probably not finished, not least because they're almost certainly not on 5% but more like 8. However, I wouldn't read too much into their past recoveries as a guide to the present.
    I suspect you are correct, but at present it's about the only hope they have. It might have worked if UKIP had done well but gotten no seats and lost momentum after 2015, but they seem guaranteed to win some (no more than 5 I hope, I have money on that) and either have a referendum to prepare for or the lack of one to mobilize them still, not leaving much protest vote ground to return to the LDs.

kle4 said:

The L.

Against which, there is barely a part of the Lib Dem electoral coalition that is not under attack from Con, Lab, UKIP, Green, nationalist, independents or others. They may not be unique among the old parties in having old certainties challenged but they are most vulnerable.

Sounds about right. A vulnerability without a clear fix at present. A shame, as it would be nice to have more than 2.5 major parties in UK terms, perhaps 2 big and 2 moderately sized, but it looks tough.
    The LD leadership has GOT to come up with something fresh, dramatic and "go-for-able" immediately after Christmas.
    Like what? "Everything we've done in the last 4.5 years has been a disastrous mistake, please forgive us we'll do it differently next time"? Cant see that being a winner.
  • Options

EICIPM

Oh no he isn't

Did you see it?

Myleene made a fool of herself comparing a glass of water with a mansion and claiming you can barely get a garage for £2m.

It was win win win for Ed

Have you not seen the polling on the mansion tax?

No she didn't, no it isn't and yes I have.
    Actually she did say that £2M wouldn't buy a garage in London. Generally though she came across as very articulate.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Danny565 said:

I presume it must be deliberate, but they are spectacularly missing the point regarding the fragrant Ms Klass.

The issue isn't whether the London House tax is popular, or whether Ms Klass is a woman of sound principles, or how rich she is, but something much more simple: that your leader, a PPE graduate, professional politician, experienced debater, former Cabinet minister, and (God help us) your candidate for Prime Minister in a few months' time, wasn't able to debate with her coherently.

But the point, as far as I see it, is about the policy itself. People on the right are continually insisting that there's no public appetite for some "soak the rich" politics. But the reaction to Klassgate, with even top-rated Daily Mail comments being along the lines of "this greedy rich brat can cry me a river", shows that's clearly not true.
    "this greedy rich brat can cry me a river"

I think you'll find that refers to Miliband.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135

Not intending to vote Labour myself - hopefully there will be a decent independent standing in my area - but I can certainly see that costing Ed M quite a bit, if not with this specific incident but if he repeats such happenings regularly. However, for one, he seems to do well enough debating Cameron instead, and for two, the policy Ed failed to debate on coherently, and others, is still popular enough that it could win him votes to cancel out at least some of the ones lost due to his own personal inadequacies. The popularity of the policies, or the Labour brand, are still very relevant even if Ed M is useless, if they can escape the Ed M drag factor and Cameron is hamstrung enough.
  • Options

The issue isn't whether the London House tax is popular, or whether Ms Klass is a woman of sound principles, or how rich she is, but something much more simple: that your leader, a PPE graduate, professional politician, experienced debater, former Cabinet minister, and (God help us) your candidate for Prime Minister in a few months' time, wasn't able to debate with her coherently. The more you diss her as an airhead or worse, the worse it makes your man look.

Don't hold your breathe Richard, the spin just highlights the desperation.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited November 2014

?

Richard - a thread earlier told us that over 60% of Labour voters think a reason to vote for them is how they run the economy...

Nuff said.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2014

The issue isn't whether the London House tax is popular, or whether Ms Klass is a woman of sound principles, or how rich she is, but something much more simple: that your leader, a PPE graduate, professional politician, experienced debater, former Cabinet minister, and (God help us) your candidate for Prime Minister in a few months' time, wasn't able to debate with her coherently. The more you diss her as an airhead or worse, the worse it makes your man look.

The difference is that Klass is an inoffensive celebrity, not a poltiician. She evidently doesn't know much about how tax or politics works, he was hardly going to tear her apart on a late night dumbed down ITV show and he wouldn't have got any credit even if he had done so.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2014

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not finished for good, they've been down to fewer than 10 MPs before and. That the trend even now is for a decline means even recover with new leadership and a Labour government doing many of the same things as the Tories.

It's the reverse bandwagon effect alright.
    I said a long time ago that the LD did the same mistake in propping up the Tories as the Liberals in propping up Labour in 1923, it took them 40 years to show a sign of life and I expect it will take as long again for the LD to recover.
    The Asquith-LG and National Coalition splits did far more damage to the Liberals than propping up Labour in 1924 (not 1923) did.
    Sorry I thought it was 1923 not 1924, but anyway when they propped a Labour government most of the Liberal support melted away to the Tories out of fear of Labour in power and then what remained melted away to Labour in order to get rid of the Tories.

The same think has happened again with most of the LD support melting away out of fear and disagreement of propping a Tory government and now the prospect of the remains melting to the Tories in a last ditch effort to keep Labour out.
    That's not entirely true. In 1923, the reunited Liberals gained 96 seats to win a total of 158 seats on 30% of the vote. It's true that they went backwards badly in 1924, losing over a hundred and taking just 18% but five years later they bounced back to 24%. What they did not bounce back in was seats, winning just 59. Even so, they would probably have been handily placed for the 1931 election had not Lloyd George fallen ill at the critical moment and had not the party then split in the absence of his leadership. Their decline was sealed by that split, not the events seven years earlier.
    Three key events, similar to the 2010 LD disaster:
    1. In 1916 they went into a coalition with the Tories due to the war, the leadership refused to get out of it after the war and the party split and hemorrhaged to Labour.
    2. In 1924 they had recovered a lot and they could have formed a government but they choose to support a Labour government, as a result the Liberal vote splintered to both the Tories and Labour.
    3. In 1931 the leadership again sided with the Tories in coalition and their vote evaporated.

In 1918 they were beaten by Labour, they never beat Labour again.
    In 1924 they lost the ability to be called a governing party, they never recovered.
    In 1931 they lost the ability to be called a major party, they needed 43 years to recover to that level.

History was a perfect guide to what happens when a liberal party goes into a coalition government, in 2010 the LD had a similar choice and they shot themselves like the last 3 times.
  • Options
    If Sporting Index were quick on the uptake, we'd have a spread betting index on the number of mentions of "Klass" or "Class" in tomorrow's Prime Minister's Questions.
  • Options
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

kle4 said:

The L.

Like what? "Everything we've done in the last 4.5 years has been a disastrous mistake, please forgive us we'll do it differently next time"? Cant see that being a winner.
    Claim hynotism was behind it all? Desperate times and all that.
    Itajai said:

The British public back Ed Miliband's plan to tax houses worth more than £2m, according to a poll from YouGov for The Times.

The survey found that 30% of respondents "tended to support" the "mansion tax" proposal and 42% of people "strongly supported" the policy.

But only 7% of respondents said they "strongly opposed" the idea and 11% said they "tended to oppose" the plan.

From The Times 24/9/14

Of course. The politics of envy. We all support a tax of someone else has to pay. I'd happily support a tax on vegan and halal food.

Wonder how many would support this tax if they had to pay it.
    A fair point, but since most people won't and never will, they're free to enjoy seeing people complain about the prospect of it being implemented without worry.

• Options
    Neil said:

Well, quite. They should have thought of that when they decided to spend much of the parliament agonising, whingeing, and laying into their coalition partners in the most intemperate and personalised way, a position which simply invites the question 'So why are you propping up this government then?'

Clearly they* don't like being in government, and voters are generously doing their best to try to ensure that the LibDems are spared from such suffering in the next parliament.

* With some honourable exceptions, such as Danny A and Steve Webb.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823

Mr. Cooke, there's something lurking in your inbox.

Thanks, MD - answered :)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,823
    Neil said:

Danny565 said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

Speedy said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Taxi for Mr Carmichael !

If it's not an outlier then the LD won't need a taxi, just 1% lower (within margin of error) at 4% they get 0 (I repeat ZERO) seats.
    I think you're getting over-focussed on the vagaries of electoral calculus.
    I know, but reasonably a national party can't escape UNS if it's at 5% or less.
    Uniform national swing simply does not work mathematically when a party drops by as much as the Opinium poll suggests that the Lib Dems have dropped (and this is bad news for the Lib Dems).
    They can hardly do much worse than UNS would imply at these levels. Given that there are seats they will win whatever their overall national vote share I would have thought they will outperform UNS in such circumstances.
    But if they're dropping by 18% nationally, they don't even start off with 18% support from 2010 in a lot of seats -- therefore, logically, there will have to be bigger falls in seats with higher support to make up for it.

In the Scottish election in 2011, the Lib Dems actually fell MORE in seats they held than the national average fall.
    But if they poll 4% then UNS would imply 0 seats - even they cant do worse than 0 seats.
    Just a pedantic point - UNS on this poll (without adjustments for avoiding negative polls; setting LDs to 0 instead of 5) would give 8 seats.

Electoralcalculus doesn't use UNS.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited November 2014
    Artist said:

The difference is that Klass is an inoffensive celebrity, not a poltiician. She evidently doesn't know much about how tax or politics works, he was hardly going to tear her apart on a late night dumbed down ITV show and he wouldn't have got any credit even if he had done so.
    From what I saw of the exchange Klass has a sounder grasp of how politics and taxation work than Labour's worst ever leader does.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

Well, quite. They should have thought of that when they decided to spend much of the parliament agonising, whingeing, and laying into their coalition partners in the most intemperate and personalised way, a position which simply invites the question 'So why are you propping up this government then?'

Clearly they* don't like being in government, and voters are generously doing their best to try to ensure that the LibDems are spared from such suffering in the next parliament.

There are plenty of Tories who clearly dislike governing with the Lib Dems and who agonise, whinge and lay into their partners just as much.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

But Ed should have had the courage of his convictions and the ability to courteously blunt Ms Klass's self-interested attacks. But he could not. NHS really cannot be the answer every single time. The fact that she is being attacked so widely today is a sign that EdM should have done so much better. But he could not. Because, unfortunately, he is crap.

• Options
    Neil said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

kle4 said:

The L.

TBH, nor can I!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2014
    Neil said:

There are plenty of Tories who clearly dislike governing with the Lib Dems and who agonise, whinge and lay into their partners just as much.

True, but the Tories never said they wanted the New Politics, Parties Working Together and all that guff. The LibDems and their predecessors had been working for half a century to get into a coalition, so you might have expected them to have been really pleased to have succeeded in getting one at last, and to explain to us how wonderful coalitions are, especially since a major part of their politics is arguing for changing the voting system to guarantee coalition government.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Strictly speaking, those Tories agonise, whinge and lay into David Cameron rather than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2014
    Regarding the "criticising the Milibands over their IHT arrangements is moronic" comment I read from some genius on the previous thread, how is it any more moronic than weird Ed criticising Freud over his efforts to solve the problems faced by severely disabled people wanting to work? And he did that at PMQs ffs..
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Neil said:

Danny565 said:

Neil said:

antifrank said:

Speedy said:

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Taxi for Mr Carmichael !

If it's not an outlier then the LD won't need a taxi, just 1% lower (within margin of error) at 4% they get 0 (I repeat ZERO) seats.
    I think you're getting over-focussed on the vagaries of electoral calculus.
    I know, but reasonably a national party can't escape UNS if it's at 5% or less.
    Uniform national swing simply does not work mathematically when a party drops by as much as the Opinium poll suggests that the Lib Dems have dropped (and this is bad news for the Lib Dems).
    They can hardly do much worse than UNS would imply at these levels. Given that there are seats they will win whatever their overall national vote share I would have thought they will outperform UNS in such circumstances.
    But if they're dropping by 18% nationally, they don't even start off with 18% support from 2010 in a lot of seats -- therefore, logically, there will have to be bigger falls in seats with higher support to make up for it.

In the Scottish election in 2011, the Lib Dems actually fell MORE in seats they held than the national average fall.
    But if they poll 4% then UNS would imply 0 seats - even they cant do worse than 0 seats.
    Just a pedantic point - UNS on this poll (without adjustments for avoiding negative polls; setting LDs to 0 instead of 5) would give 8 seats.

Electoralcalculus doesn't use UNS.
    That is true, they use a Strong Transition Model which ought to be more accurate than UNS, because it doesn't go bellow 0% in any seat.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/strongmodel.html

UNS never gives the LD 0 seats even if they get 0 votes which is impactical, with STM they get 0 seats if they get 4% or less.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Artist said:

Klass could well have more of an idea about tax and politics than Ed the Dud.

Anyhow, today's Mansion is tomorrow's Semi.

We all know where any new property tax will be applied as the thresholds creep ever lower.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

The Asquith-LG and National Coalition splits did far more damage to the Liberals than propping up Labour in 1924 (not 1923) did.

Sorry I thought it was 1923 not 1924, but anyway when they propped a Labour government most of the Liberal support melted away to the Tories out of fear of Labour in power and then what remained melted away to Labour in order to get rid of the Tories.

The same think has happened again with most of the LD support melting away out of fear and disagreement of propping a Tory government and now the prospect of the remains melting to the Tories in a last ditch effort to keep Labour out.
    That's not entirely true. In 1923, the reunited Liberals gained 96 seats to win a total of 158 seats on 30% of the vote. It's true that they went backwards badly in 1924, losing over a hundred and taking just 18% but five years later they bounced back to 24%. What they did not bounce back in was seats, winning just 59. Even so, they would probably have been handily placed for the 1931 election had not Lloyd George fallen ill at the critical moment and had not the party then split in the absence of his leadership. Their decline was sealed by that split, not the events seven years earlier.
    1. In 1916 they went into a coalition with the Tories due to the war, the leadership refused to get out of it after the war and the party split and hemorrhaged to Labour.
    2. In 1924 they had recovered a lot and they could have formed a government but they choose to support a Labour government, as a result the Liberal vote splintered to both the Tories and Labour.
    3. In 1931 the leadership again sided with the Tories in coalition and their vote evaporated.

In 1924 they lost the ability to be called a governing party, they never recovered.
    In 1931 they lost the ability to be called a major party, they needed 43 years to recover to that level.

History was a perfect guide to what happens when a liberal party goes into a coalition government, in 2010 the LD had a similar choice and they shot themselves like the last 3 times.
    I'd agree with all that. I would however add a little extra to the first point about 1916. It wasn't The Liberals that went into coalition with the Tories but a section of them. That split both enabled Labour to slip out from under their wing and to take second place from them. Had Asquith resigned the leadership as well as the premiership, Labour's rise would have been much slower.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

And my reply is:

Oh come on. Look back to 2010. What was the alternative? Never mind for the LD's, for the country.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2014
    kle4 said:

The LDs are not finished for good, they've been down to fewer than 10 MPs before and survived in previous incarnations … It's hard to see how they can get a reasonable result out of 2015 now, and avoiding disaster is the best they can hope for.

I agree.

Speedy , having declared the LibDems 'finished for good' you're not prepared to back that up with a wager? I'm the first to disapprove of 'betcha' type responses, but do you want to retract your assertion? If not, fancy backing it up with a bet? What would 'finished' be in your book? Less than 5 MPs?

By the way, let's not forget that the huge constituency beneficiaries of a LibDem slump would be the Tories.
  • Options

Neil said:

True, but the Tories never said they wanted the New Politics, Parties Working Together and all that guff. The LibDems and their predecessors had been working for half a century to get into a coalition, so you might have expected them to have been really pleased to have succeeded at last, and to explain to us how wonderful coalitions are.
    I think technically that is supposed to still be the line, what with the occasional 'better a coalition than either big party governing alone' kind of comment, which to be frank works for me, but the depths of their woes has been worse and more sustained than expected, too many jumped ship immediately, and the need to try to distance from the Tories became greater and earlier than planned for, far too early to actually wind up the coalition, so it came across even more phony than might otherwise have been the case.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

But Ed should have had the courage of his convictions and the ability to courteously blunt Ms Klass's self-interested attacks. But he could not. NHS really cannot be the answer every single time. The fact that she is being attacked so widely today is a sign that EdM should have done so much better. But he could not. Because, unfortunately, he is crap.

Oh I completely agree with that (and it's why I'd prefer to have Alan Johnson as leader, even if Johnson's own politics are slightly less "left-wing" than Ed's), but sadly I've got used to Ed dismally failing to score open goals.
  • Options
    I simply had to laugh out loud when I read in the thread header that this poll "wasn't intended for publication", all the more so as we are always being told, I'm sure quite correctly, just how incredibly expensive such polls are to undertake - so the suspicion inevitably has to be that the results didn't fit the bill for whatever reason.
    It will be interesting to see if we are now set for a series of polls showing Tory leads. OGH makes the point that "Labour is clearly suffering from the seepage of support in Scotland". I haven't yet seen the indicated share of the vote received by the Greens in this Opinium poll, but I wonder whether Labour is also suffering as a result of the strengthening level of support in that direction which has been evident elsewhere. Given their far left positioning, it seems unlikely that such support could come other than from Labour.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not finished for good, they've been down to fewer than 10 MPs before and. That the trend even now is for a decline means even recover with new leadership and a Labour government doing many of the same things as the Tories.

It's the reverse bandwagon effect alright.
    I said a long time ago that the LD did the same mistake in propping up the Tories as the Liberals in propping up Labour in 1923, it took them 40 years to show a sign of life and I expect it will take as long again for the LD to recover.

You mean you're either unaware of or are choosing to ignore other coalitions there were in before that (notably with the Irish Parliamentary Party among other?).

Not to mention that you're mis-representing the details of 1 (the party split during the war, not after).

Also missing out a key point of 2 (the key point being the organisational split, notably with Lloyd George controlling and refusing to allow access to large amounts of funding leading to very limited candidate numbers and campaigning capacity, the most important reason behind Liberal fall in that election).

3 is an arbitrary definition. You could equally have said it about 1924 or 1929 depending on your definition of major party. And also overlooks the party split that was again the vital factor.

Poor effort and understanding.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The LDs are not finished for good, they've been down to fewer than 10 MPs before and survived in previous incarnations … It's hard to see how they can get a reasonable result out of 2015 now, and avoiding disaster is the best they can hope for.

I agree.

Speedy , having declared the LibDems 'finished for good' you're not prepared to back that up with a wager? I'm the first to disapprove of 'betcha' type responses, but do you want to retract your assertion? If not, fancy backing it up with a bet? What would 'finished' be in your book? Less than 5 MPs?

By the way, let's not forget that the huge constituency beneficiaries of a LibDem slump would be the Tories.
    That's a bit of a long term bet isn't it? The only way you can test if the LDs are "finished for good" is whether they can bounce back from a heavy defeat. So you would be looking to the 2020 or 2025 election.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Speedy said:

And my reply is:

Oh come on. Look back to 2010. What was the alternative? Never mind for the LD's, for the country.

The alternative was a minority Tory government and a second election after a few months, a clear repeat of 1974.
    It would have saved both the LD and the Tories from the compromises of coalition that resulted in the collapse of the LD and the rise of UKIP.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Betfair punters now think UKIP is more likely to get 50-55% than <40% in Rochester, although only £5,900 has been matched so far:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/market?marketId=1.115925336
  • Options
    Labour might salvage something from this Klass debacle if they play the victim card: Ed was bullied and humiliated by a privileged member of the cultural elite when he was only trying his best etc. That would boost Ed in the eyes of those who sympathize with the downtrodden; moreover a snipe at the artistic community might tap into a bit of UKIP philistinism. There's time to turn this around!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

kle4 said:

I agree.

That's a bit of a long term bet isn't it? The only way you can test if the LDs are "finished for good" is whether they can bounce back from a heavy defeat. So you would be looking to the 2020 or 2025 election.

Good point.

2015 would be fine for me. Presumably Speedy reckons that should be their nadir, so what would that look like to represent 'finished'? 5 MPs? Or more?
  • Options
    I saw the listing for, is it the 'Agenda', saw that Miliband was on it and thought he must be there for a soft interview. Couldn't be bothered to watch it because he's such a gimp.

Con majority nailed on.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

kle4 said:

I agree.

I should have added finished for 43 years but since we might not live to see a LD recovery to 23% in our life times I preferred to simply say "for good".
    But with the LD at 5% who can dispute that Clegg's political career won't be finished for good if they score at that level?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I'd agree with all that. I would however add a little extra to the first point about 1916. It wasn't The Liberals that went into coalition with the Tories but a section of them. That split both enabled Labour to slip out from under their wing and to take second place from them. Had Asquith resigned the leadership as well as the premiership, Labour's rise would have been much slower.
    Come now Mr Herdson, I expect better of your history.
  • Options

But only 7% of respondents said they "strongly opposed" the idea and 11% said they "tended to oppose" the plan. From The Times 24/9/14

Yes I expected that. Does not make it a good idea economically for all. Just another Socialist policy.
  • Options

Artist said:

We all know where any new property tax will be applied as the thresholds creep ever lower.
    The simple fact is she made a laughable error by saying £2m only buys one a garage. I cannot see how this is "bad for Ed" outside of these fair pages, where almost everything is deemed bad for Ed. I suspect it will make no difference whatsoever
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248

Cyclefree said:

myleene really was stupid last night comparing water to a £2m pad as were the people tweeting she won the argument.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/millionaire-myleene-klass-blasted-being-4646847

She did win the argument, she shoudn't have; an able Labour leader would have slaughtered her and given no quarter, but the fact is that on the night she did win the argument. That is the problem Labour have with Iain Duncan Miliband.

WTF didn't Ed prepare rebuttals for the interview, did it not occur to him that a millionaire former pop starette living in an expensive house might have negative views on the mansion tax?, a tax that the rest of us with houses worth about £250k actually support and if anything think is too timid; as it is high time removal of the free ride such people have had since the Tories abolished domestic rates.

What we actually need is a land value tax of 1% of the value of any land owned with no exemptions (other than perhaps certain charities like the national trust). That would break up the big estates, tax the multinationals heavily and stop pensioners bed blocking family houses.
    Just to get away from the crazy London property market, in this relatively poor part of Cumbria (which I know well - having family there) average property prices are: - Millom, with an overall average price of £90,514 was cheaper than nearby Askam-In-Furness (£131,656), Kirkby-In-Furness (£225,900) and Dalton-In-Furness (£114,302).

The area is served by a Labour MP Jamie Reed.

Average salaries are ca. £15,258 - £36,248.

I'm sure having to pay - in addition to council tax - 1% of the value of their homes - somewhere between an extra £900 - £1143 p.a. - will go down well.

It would go down well, because the land value tax would result in a drastic reduction or even abolition of Council Tax, which disproportionally hits the people you refer to while multi millionaires pay a few hundred more than they do in council tax for their band H pads in Westminster or Wandsworth. As do the local gentry in their band H country mansions.

The big juicy target in taxation is not income, its very valuable immovable assets, held by a proportionally very small portion of the electorate.

And if that causes house prices to collapse then that is the best news the country has had in years because young people will be able to afford somewhere to live again.
    You obviously live in social subsidised housing then
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

kle4 said:

The L.

At the moment they seem to be in the position of the old Punch (remember that?) cartoon, where a squad of trainees is marching towards a cliff. The drill sergeant looks on, struck dumb!

I'm one of those who thought in 2010 that "there was no alternative" but there must some sort of opportunity somewhere now. Surely to God!
    Given the LibDems' seemingly desperate position, I would have thought that "immediately" would be the appropriate strategy, omitting the words "after Christmas".
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Guardian news ‏@guardiannews · 7 mins7 minutes ago
    Alex Salmond is a paranoid loser, says former BBC chairman http://t.gu.com/Eubmn

Oh boy...

Dear Dear what a numpty
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    Oh dear, Dorothy Thornhill (the Lib Dem Mayor of Watford) didn't come across too well on the One Show this evening.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,394
    edited November 2014
    AndyJS said:

Betfair punters now think UKIP is more likely to get 50-55% than <40% in Rochester, although only £5,900 has been matched so far:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/market?marketId=1.115925336</p&gt;

Very few public polls to go on, Andy, but there will be the private polls conducted by each Party, plus of course the 'feel' that experienced workers on the ground will be getting.

Reckless knows the terrain and if it were close I'm sure we'd be seeing bigger than 1.02 a UKIP win. That price in itself suggests to me that UKIP must be at least 10% clear (although nowhere near the 50% of MedwayExpress voodoo poll fame!)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Quite a lot has happened in Rochester since the last poll, we've had the debates which quite a few people might have seen. Also the Conservatives comments about house prices, the fuss about TTIP and the straight choice leaflet may not have gone down well. If there has been a late swing to UKIP then Ashcroft and Survation's polls could be way out from the actual result again.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The LDs are not fis.

kle4 said:

The L.

Given the LibDems' seemingly desperate position, I would have thought that "immediately" would be the appropriate strategy, omitting the words "after Christmas".
    Remember that in last month's Ashcroft polling the LDs and CON were level-pegging on 32% in 12 key seats the yellows were defending. This was a 2% LD>CON swing since GE10.

General Election not fought on national aggregate votes shares but in 650 separate seats under first past the post.

• Options
    Re: Opinium. So after the latest LD tantrum in Govt with Norman Baker throwing a hissy fit at his ex nasty boss Mrs May, the LDs are rewarded with 5% in the polling. Just rewards?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Alex Salmond is a paranoid loser, says former BBC chairman http://t.gu.com/Eubmn

Oh boy...

Dear Dear what a numpty
    You mean Mr Salmond I assume.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

And my reply is:

The alternative was a minority Tory government and a second election after a few months, a clear repeat of 1974.
    It would have saved both the LD and the Tories from the compromises of coalition that resulted in the collapse of the LD and the rise of UKIP.
    I suggest you look back at the Press at the time. They were talking about a run on the pound, economic collapse, plague of frogs etc.
    Whether that would have happened of course, we'll never know.
  • Options

Labour might salvage something from this Klass debacle if they play the victim card: Ed was bullied and humiliated by a privileged member of the cultural elite when he was only trying his best etc. That would boost Ed in the eyes of those who sympathize with the downtrodden; moreover a snipe at the artistic community might tap into a bit of UKIP philistinism. There's time to turn this around!

Whilst Ed is still crap , it did show how out of touch Tories are in this country, the dozy mare did not even have the brains to realise that the majority of people struggle to survive rather than paying £2 million for garages. Thick as mince z lister Tory.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

kle4 said:

to recover.

You mean you're either unaware of or are choosing to ignore other coalitions there were in before that (notably with the Irish Parliamentary Party among other?).

Not to mention that you're mis-representing the details of 1 (the party split during the war, not after).

Also missing out a key point of 2 (the key point being the organisational split, notably with Lloyd George controlling and refusing to allow access to large amounts of funding leading to very limited candidate numbers and campaigning capacity, the most important reason behind Liberal fall in that election).

3 is an arbitrary definition. You could equally have said it about 1924 or 1929 depending on your definition of major party. And also overlooks the party split that was again the vital factor.

Poor effort and understanding.
    Coalitions with the Irish is not a coalition with a national party.
    On 1. there is no dispute that the coalition gave space for Labour to rise.
    On 2, who says that the LD won't do the same in 2015? They have a similar strategy of putting everything on 50 seats.
    On.3 my definition for major party is more than 10% of the vote and 10 seats, which is pretty straightforward.

And my conclusion stands not only in Britain but throughout the world, coalition governments between major parties is damaging to both and perhaps terminal to the smaller partner.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

ip. Their decline was sealed by that split, not the events seven years earlier.

Labour's rise was surely inexorable.

Whatever the LDs offered the working classes, Labour could outbid them.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.

http://order-order.com/2014/11/18/salmonds-stone-of-destiny/

POASWAS.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited November 2014
    Apparently everyone assumes miss Klasse is a Tory...maybe she is just a pi**ed off Labour supporter who thinks Ed is really crap..
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

And my reply is:

I suggest you look back at the Press at the time. They were talking about a run on the pound, economic collapse, plague of frogs etc.
    Any serious man would never believe those things about the end of the world if party A and party B don't get to bed together.
    In 1974 things were much much serious economically and socially, there were talks of revolution or military coup in a midst of a real crisis on all fronts and a 3 day week, and still there was no coalition government.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Oh boy...

Dear Dear what a numpty

As a young man Salmond tried to get a job with the BBC, they turned him down. He's never got over that rebuff.

• Options

AndyJS said:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/market?marketId=1.115925336</p&gt;

Very few public polls to go on, Andy, but there will be the private polls conducted by each Party, plus of course the 'feel' that experienced workers on the ground will be getting.

Reckless knows the terrain and if it were close I'm sure we'd be seeing bigger than 1.02 a UKIP win. That price in itself suggests to me that UKIP must be at least 10% clear (although nowhere near the 50% of MedwayExpress voodoo poll fame!)
    Disclaimer: I have a bet on UKIP getting 50-55% at 10/1. It's now about 5/1.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    malcolmg said:

Whilst Ed is still crap , it did show how out of touch Tories are in this country, the dozy mare did not even have the brains to realise that the majority of people struggle to survive rather than paying £2 million for garages. Thick as mince z lister Tory.
    'Dozy mare'

I imagine you're the kind of Neanderthal who'd think nothing of giving her some physical encouragement to get back into her place.

Doing a Connery, as it's known.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Oh boy...

Dear Dear what a numpty

As a young man Salmond tried to get a job with the BBC, they turned him down. He's never got over that rebuff.

Perhaps they gave it to OGH instead ....... stranger things have happened.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT..The Mansion tax will soon be applied to a 3 bed inner city terrace..anyone who thinks it wont be is a fool...

Not if it is in the form of bands I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S etc. of the Council tax. That would likely involve people in bands A-G paying less council tax.
    But that's not Labour's proposal is it?

They seem to be saying that people in houses worth between £2 - 3 mio will only pay £250 per month more and that people in houses worth even more will pay squillions. But the sums raised are either footling amounts which will achieve the square root of bugger all in relation to the NHS or the amounts paid will have to be very very much greater or the threshold will have to come down significantly at which point we're not talking about taxing rich luvvies but about taxing the squeezed middle of which Labour used to be so fond.

It doesn't really add up.

If they're going to tax property why not use the revenues to build houses. I'm fed up with the NHS being seen as the only legitimate expense of government as if it's some sort of sacred cow. It is one of many competing priorities and it's about time all parties understood that.
    Can't disagree with much of that. I

think the extra money for the NHS meme isn't realy to "save the NHS" its to save the workers there, who mostly vote Labour from wholesale restructuring along the lines of the nationalised industries in the 1980s, when inefficient practices were stripped out wholesale. Unfortunately the Tories then privatised them and introduced another set of inefficiencies as a result.
  • Options
    Weather for Rochester on Thursday: gloomy without rain. I wonder who that would suit?

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2639268?day=2
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Artist said:

Quite a lot has happened in Rochester since the last poll, we've had the debates which quite a few people might have seen. Also the Conservatives comments about house prices, the fuss about TTIP and the straight choice leaflet may not have gone down well. If there has been a late swing to UKIP then Ashcroft and Survation's polls could be way out from the actual result again.

https://medium.com/sky-news/how-far-will-the-purple-tide-reach-in-kent-a5a315692677

Has an informative 8 minute video from Rochester, South Thanet and Sittingbourne&Sheppey .
  • Options
    Neil said:

Being junior coalition partner is a tough job but someone has to do it.

I thought that the GPEW policy was to eschew Coalition in favour of tolerating a minority executive and having more open debate on a policy by policy basis in Parliament?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    A few posters, only yesterday, were chiding me for the 'wishful thinking' of my Tory vote forecasts. I hope they are feeling suitably chaste today.

Yes, Nick Palmer, I'm thinking of you.
  • Options
  • Options

A few posters, only yesterday, were chiding me for the 'wishful thinking' of my Tory vote forecasts. I hope they are feeling suitably chaste today.

What were you forecasting CR?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Moi? I haven't chided you for years, if ever.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    AndyJS said:

Weather for Rochester on Thursday: gloomy without rain. I wonder who that would suit?

http://www.bbc.com/weather/2639268?day=2

Typical but dry November weather.
    Perhaps it will suit no one, though turnout won't be depressed by bad weather.
  • Options

Apparently everyone assumes miss Klasse is a Tory...maybe she is just a pi**ed off Labour supporter who thinks Ed is really crap..

Reading pb, you'd think everyone who's ever been on telly is a Labour supporter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Farcical scenes before England v Scotland match. Scottish fans boo 'God Save the Queen' despite having the fact she is their Queen too and they have just voted to stay in the UK. Then some England fans boo 'Flower of Scotland', not much love lost in this match!
  • Options
    James Matthews ‏@jamesmatthewsky

England fans chanting: 'You're just a small town in England'.

Scotland fans: 'Jimmy Savile, he's one of your own'
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Obviously made up. As if anyone could understand a Scottish chant.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Obviously made up. As if anyone could understand a Scottish chant.
    The tweeter is Scottish (and a Sky News reporter) so he knows what his fellow Scots are saying.
  • Options
    Bullying of weird Ed was started by... his brother's team (when David was proposing a mansion tax!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/7996623/Labour-contest-turns-ugly-as-Ed-Miliband-is-dubbed-Forrest-Gump.html
  • Options
    On the Survation Scotland poll earlier, of course according to the poll 88% of Yes voters are now voting SNP, the SNP were on 46% at indyref the won 45% and the indyref poll in Survation shows No still would win 53-47%. Unionist voters may well tactically vote against the SNP, for example the Tories voting LD or Labour. Ultimately as in Quebec Jean Charest, a former PC leader came to lead the Quebec Liberals back to power showing how cross party cooperation can emerge. Once a new Labour leader emerges and devomax legislation is introduced in January after the Smith Commission reports we may see the SNP total decline.

Salmond now clearly moving towards being 'kingmaker' in a UK minority government, he has to win his seat first
  • Options
    Speedy said:

On 2, who says that the LD won't do the same in 2015? They have a similar strategy of putting everything on 50 seats.
    On.3 my definition for major party is more than 10% of the vote and 10 seats, which is pretty straightforward.

And my conclusion stands not only in Britain but throughout the world, coalition governments between major parties is damaging to both and perhaps terminal to the smaller partner.

Any more caveats to add? What's your opinion on the mid-19th century 'coalitions' of Whigs, Peelites etc?

1. There's plenty of dispute about whether it was coalition per se or the party split was more important (or both were below inexorable winds of change).

2. Erm, anyone who's even vaguely paying attention. The Liberals only managed to stand candidates in about half the seats in 1924 (linking back to the earlier party split that was continuing, Lloyd George sitting on the cash etc). And if you really delve deep (Chris Cook has done excellent work on this) you find the incredible scale of the disorganisation and disarray of the party at that time.

3. What a conveniently arbitrary definition, which is also nonsense. It makes the Liberals a major party in 1974 and on the cusp of being so in several elections before that. They were nothing like major at those times.

Your conclusion is not supported by your argument, given how narrowly it is formed, how poorly the points are made, and how clearly it has been written with the answer already in mind rather than observing and analysing the evidence and letting that guide you.

If you want to make an argument about the fate junior coalition partners around the world (featuring Germany etc I presume) then feel free. Off the top of my head there's convincing evidence out there.

But your argument doesn't stand up.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

And my reply is:

Any serious man would never believe those things about the end of the world if party A and party B don't get to bed together.
    In 1974 things were much much serious economically and socially, there were talks of revolution or military coup in a midst of a real crisis on all fronts and a 3 day week, and still there was no coalition government.
    The main problems in '74 were:-

i) the arrival of the first hung parliament in 45 years took everyone by surprise. Thorpe in particular had no mandate from his own party to begin coalition negotiations, although he led Heath a fine dance over the weekend.

ii) the Liberals alone did not have enough seats to provide anyone with a parliamentary majority in any case.

My analysis of the sorry business can be found here:-
    http://hungparliament2010.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/what-can-we-learn-from-last-time.html
  • Options
    James Matthews ‏@jamesmatthewsky · 13m13 minutes ago
    England fans chanting: 'You're just a small town in England'. Scotland fans: 'Jimmy Savile, he's one of your own'

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Artist said:

First they came for the mansions.......
  • Options

corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

ip. Their decline was sealed by that split, not the events seven years earlier.

Labour's rise was surely inexorable.

Whatever the LDs offered the working classes, Labour could outbid them.

*shrugs* maybe.

There's libraries of argument about this kind of thing (I think comparisons with Aus and NZ at similar times feature heavily). Would the Liberals just have shifted in a more Radical direction, could 3 party politics have lasted (we were incredibly close to getting rid of FPTP on more than one occasion).

I'm rather wary of the idea of inexorable history.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

Regarding the "criticising the Milibands over their IHT arrangements is moronic" comment I read from some genius on the previous thread, how is it any more moronic than weird Ed criticising Freud over his efforts to solve the problems faced by severely disabled people wanting to work? And he did that at PMQs ffs..

I've never had any issue with the mili's being sensible on IHT.

It's when the guy goes all hypocritical t0sser when anyone else does the same kind of thing. Why genuine Labour types actual support the posh boy is beyond me.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Once a new Labour leader emerges and devomax legislation is introduced in January after the Smith Commission reports we may see the SNP total decline.

This is highly reliant on the "devo max" being proposed not being a bag of pish.
  • Options

Moi? I haven't chided you for years, if ever.

You tried a little rib yesterday in response to one of my posts, on the thread where Labour had a 1% Ashcroft lead: 'I recall you saying polling would become significant in November'

Guess what? Yes, it is.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

James Matthews ‏@jamesmatthewsky · 13m13 minutes ago
    England fans chanting: 'You're just a small town in England'. Scotland fans: 'Jimmy Savile, he's one of your own'

But Jimmy's mate Cardinal Keith O'Brien ..ll
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    corporeal said:

Speedy said:

Any more caveats to add? What's your opinion on the mid-19th century 'coalitions' of Whigs, Peelites etc?

1. There's plenty of dispute about whether it was coalition per se or the party split was more important (or both were below inexorable winds of change).

2. Erm, anyone who's even vaguely paying attention. The Liberals only managed to stand candidates in about half the seats in 1924 (linking back to the earlier party split that was continuing, Lloyd George sitting on the cash etc). And if you really delve deep (Chris Cook has done excellent work on this) you find the incredible scale of the disorganisation and disarray of the party at that time.

3. What a conveniently arbitrary definition, which is also nonsense. It makes the Liberals a major party in 1974 and on the cusp of being so in several elections before that. They were nothing like major at those times.

Your conclusion is not supported by your argument, given how narrowly it is formed, how poorly the points are made, and how clearly it has been written with the answer already in mind rather than observing and analysing the evidence and letting that guide you.

If you want to make an argument about the fate junior coalition partners around the world (featuring Germany etc I presume) then feel free. Off the top of my head there's convincing evidence out there.

But your argument doesn't stand up.
    That I have forced you to go all the way back before universal suffrage to find excuses proves my argument quite well.
    And in case you haven't heard there was a Liberal revival culminated in 1974, after which it was a 2.5 party system.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Oh boy...

Dear Dear what a numpty

You may not like him - I find him so inscrutable I suspect he is secretly chinese - but Salmond is the only politician of the last 40 years of the same stature as Thatcher and Blair. Just look at his achievements: he got the FM ship, he got the referendum, he got that Yougov and The Vow, he left an SNP to be the hammer of the Labour Scots. OK he lost the referendum - we noticed - though why the dimmer PB tories are inclined to award themselves campaign medals for his defeat is obscure; but even in losing he did something epochal in securing a democratic mandate for the Act of Union after 307 years. And to the connoisseur of political betting, what he did to the polls in 2011 was surely about as interesting as it gets.

Perhaps you would like to put the case that Clegg is the more towering figure.

• Options
    The internet's almost brilliant.. Just found this in a google search but can't open the page:

Tabloids salivate at prospect of “Red Ed” in charge | Westminster blog
    blogs.ft.com › Comment › Blogs
    22 Sep 2010 - Further UPDATE (3pm): Friends of Ed Miliband point out that he doesn't back his brother's mansion tax nor his tax on private schooling. Tags: David Miliband ...

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2010/09/tabloids-salivate-at-prospect-of-red-ed-in-charge/
  • Options

The internet's almost brilliant.. Just found this in a google search but can't open the page:

Tabloids salivate at prospect of “Red Ed” in charge | Westminster blog
    blogs.ft.com › Comment › Blogs
    22 Sep 2010 - Further UPDATE (3pm): Friends of Ed Miliband point out that he doesn't back his brother's mansion tax nor his tax on private schooling. Tags: David Miliband ...

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2010/09/tabloids-salivate-at-prospect-of-red-ed-in-charge/

If you ever want to read a FT article for free, just google the headline, in this instance "Tabloids salivate at prospect of “Red Ed” in charge"

And google will bring up the article for free.

Applies to all FT articles.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    where would I find which sides the Scotland team play for?
  • Options
    Ooh! Another one..

"Interestingly, while Ed wants more taxation, he refuses to back David’s mansion tax"

http://leftfootforward.org/2010/09/whats-the-difference-mili-brothers/

I take the "almost" back internet; you are brilliant!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Mr Crosby, (good article, by the way) that sounds right. Thorpe was also in possession of a number of telegrams (remember them) from Liberal parties up and down the country (one from me, as an Agent and my candidate) ...... there had been frantic phone calls all over the place ..... pointing out that whoever had won the election, Heath had lost it!

I think there's also a report somewhere that Thorpe was offered the (don't laugh, folks) the post of Home Secretary.

IMHO that was Clegg's big mistake in 2010; Deputy PM is up there with VPOTUS .... sounds good but generally speaking that's been a dead end ..... whereas if Clegg had insisted on one of the Great Offices he'd have had a "real" job.

If we have to have a Coalition after May 7th no doubt lessons will have been learned.
  • Options

What were you forecasting CR?
    My forecast was this, only yesterday afternoon:

"..I think the Tories will pull at least 5 points clear of Labour by election day, and I expect slightly more. If you Baxter: Con - 35% , Lab - 29.5%, Lib Dem - 14% and UKIP - 12% then you get Con on 312 seats, 14 short of a majority."

I stand by that forecast, although I think the seat totals for Con a little too high. I think something more like 295-305 seats.

This morning we had JackW with a very similar ARSE prediction. We now have an opinion poll showing Con very close to my predicted poll share, and in the lead.

Yet I have to put up with accusations I'm indulging in 'wishful thinking', and a PB Tory, by some posters, every time I post something that forecasts a Tory win. This is despite the fact I wasn't even planning to vote Conservative until Ed Miliband's speech, am fiercely critical of Cameron, and think the party will fall to pieces within a couple of years of winning GE2015.
  • Options
    Take that you rebellious Scots
This discussion has been closed.