Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Predict Thursday’s South Yorkshire PCC by-election and win

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Predict Thursday’s South Yorkshire PCC by-election and win the political book that everybody’s talking about

Last night I attended a splendid book launch for the book by the academic duo of Phil Cowley and Rob Rord featured above. Extracts have received a fair bit of coverage in the past couple of days particularly on the sexual traits of different party supporters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    First, like a ukipper in bed.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    UKIP, 14.43%
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Labour by 9.31%
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I've got two political geek books on my shelf and no Excel...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    Labour 6.1%
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Labour 5.5%
  • Options
    UKIP, 5.54%
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    UKIP 1%
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Conservatives by 10%
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ISAM £1.7billion on EU headed notepaper.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Kipper by 6.9%
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Labour 6.7%
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    Labour by 12.76%.

Some elections you have an idea, some you just have to guess.
  • Options
    UKIP 3.15%
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    felix said:

ISAM £1.7billion on EU headed notepaper.

Haha and I get "obsessed" with other posters???

You little rascal
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited October 2014
    I want the Kippers to win this. Let's see how that'd work out for good or ill.

4.95%
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467
    edited October 2014
    Plato said:

I want the Kippers to win this. Let's see how that'd work out for good or ill.

And your prediction? :)

EDIT - seen you added it just now :)
  • Options
    Labour by 2.65%
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    The English Democrat candidate is a bit 'hard core'.

Is he related to Socrates?

UKIP - 10%.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    UKIP by 14.00%.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Labour, 2%
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2014

• Options
    antifrank said:

UKIP by 14.00%.

I am honoured to be in your company, sir.
  • Options
    From Wiki:

...the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, that PCCs are "a failed experiment".[23]
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    UKIP by more than their majority in Rochester...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Welcome Aboard to PB, Mr Hoodwinked.

Labour by 2.65%

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    rcs1000 said:

Percentage - wise obviously...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405
    UKIP 6.35%
  • Options
    Labour, by 7.45%
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    UKIP by 10.66%.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2014
    UKIP: 4.23%
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Labour 3.87%
  • Options

The English Democrat candidate is a bit 'hard core'.

Is he related to Socrates?

UKIP - 10%.

I didn't know you could enter negative numbers ;-)
  • Options
    UKIP by 19.5%
  • Options
    I really haven't a clue, but here goes:

Labour by 12.72%
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

UKIP by 14.00%.

Oops, I should read the thread more carefully.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Percentage - wise obviously...
    Isn't Rochester after the PCC election?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Edit
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

UKIP by 14.00%.

There's really no sense in going up early on these, apart from the potential kudos... maybe we should do it like a sweepstake where there are 0.25%-sized bands available and the first to stake a claim to one gets it?

I said from the beginning I thought UKIP should be well odds-on so I thought I'd better back that up with my call. In practice I don't really have a clue; it might as well be Scotland... ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And this is why I love you. I nerd on other TV stuff - you're in a class way beyond me.

*impressed face*

EDIT - bugger you've edited too! Ha!
    AndyJS said:

Edit

• Options
    NB I'm sure shadsy and Sidney won't mind me pointing out that the 10/11 vs 13/8 arb still persists: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/south-yorkshire-police-and-crime-commissioner
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Labour by 0.26%
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

From Wiki:

...the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, that PCCs are "a failed experiment".[23]

i.e. The LibDem candidate would get thrashed
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

UKIP by 14.00%.

There's really no sense in going up early on these, apart from the potential kudos... maybe we should do it like a sweepstake where there are 0.25%-sized bands available and the first to stake a claim to one gets it?

I said from the beginning I thought UKIP should be well odds-on so I thought I'd better back that up with my call. In practice I don't really have a clue; it might as well be Scotland... ;-)
    No idea about the dynamics of the election, who's standing, how many of them, but UKIP seems to be a pretty "safe" protest vote (if I was harsh I would say especially so in an election which is meaningless) so UKIP by a factor. Well if you're going to protest, protest.

I think my 6.35% UKIP call might be a bit, um, conservative.
  • Options

From Wiki:

...the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, that PCCs the Lib Dems are "a failed experiment".[23]

Fixed that for Nick.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

UKIP by 14.00%.

No idea about the dynamics of the election, who's standing, how many of them, but UKIP seems to be a pretty "safe" protest vote (if I was harsh I would say especially so in an election which is meaningless) so UKIP by a factor. Well if you're going to protest, protest.

I think my 6.35% UKIP call might be a bit, um, conservative.
    Just for clarity:

parties standing are: Lab, UKIP, Cons and the English Democrats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Yorkshire_Police_and_Crime_Commissioner_by-election,_2014
  • Options
    UKIP by 3.00%
  • Options
    Plato said:

Welcome Aboard to PB, Mr Hoodwinked.

Labour by 2.65%

Thank you. Been a silent observer from the outside for a while.
    The book tempted me out of hibernation.
    Watch this space..
  • Options
    Interesting and encouraging how many people are taking an interest in candidate selections for the general election. Another blog on the subject:

http://www.ge2015.co.uk/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    UKIP by 7.8%
  • Options

From Wiki:

.the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, he is "a failed experiment".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Labour 5.00%
  • Options

From Wiki:

...the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, that PCCs the Lib Dems are "a failed experiment".[23]

Fixed that for Nick.
    LOL! Wish I'd thought of that myself :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    In response to Peter the Punter (FPT):

"The full story is awe inspiring, breathtaking.

The kids were whisked away from their families and dumped, literally, on Liverpool Street station, where haphazard attempts were made to match them up with foster parents, about whom little was known. The contrast with modern fostering could not be more extreme. Obviously not every match was a brilliant success but any reservations about the process are swept aside by the fact that every single one of the kids that didn't make the last train out of Czechoslavakia (Sept 1st 1939) died at the hands of the Nazis, as did all their parents.

The number who escaped and their descendants now runs into thousands. Every one owes their life to Nicholas Winton. The story moves me to tears still, even as I type this.

There is a small and unobtrusive statue at Liverpool Street station commemorating his work. Check it out if you ever get the chance."

I work v close to Liverpool Street and have seen that statue. I thought it was for the KinderTransport but did not realise that it also referred to this wonderful man. I will go back and see it again.

A real hero, as you say.
  • Options
    Labour by 6.14%
  • Options
    Entries seem to be pro-UKIP so far so I'll predict Labour (Below)

I've backed UKIP at the bookies for a fiver too.
  • Options
    Isabel Hardman (@IsabelHardman)
    28/10/2014 13:23
    In the Commons, Mark Harper says he thinks that Kate Green's words about Lord Freud's comments being offensive are offensive.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The contrast with modern fostering could not be more extreme.''

You mean they didn't screen for UKIP membership..?!!?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

NB I'm sure shadsy and Sidney won't mind me pointing out that the 10/11 vs 13/8 arb still persists: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/south-yorkshire-police-and-crime-commissioner

How interesting.......

*COUGH*
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The Tories have finally selected in Walsall South: Sue Arnold.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2014/news/former-newspaper-boss-in-bid-to-become-mp/
    http://www.conservatives.com/OurTeam/Prospective_Parliamentary_Candidates/Arnold_Sue.aspx

The Labour MP is Keith Vaz's sister Valerie, elected for the first time in 2010.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price On that basis Labour should squeak it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,467
    edited October 2014

From Wiki:

.the Liberal Democrats, will not contest the by-election following the assessment of their leader and South Yorkshire MP, Nick Clegg, he is "a failed experiment".
    He might be trying to avoid yet another lost deposit :)

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522402890598858752/photo/1
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I predict that Labour will win, by 8.16%.

I also think that the turnout will be 12.48%
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

From Wiki:

Is "failed experiment" shorthand for "demonstration of how the public don't agree with our 'just give them a hug' views on criminal justice"?
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    edited October 2014

From Wiki:

He might be trying to avoid yet another lost deposit :)

twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522402890598858752/photo/1
    Nick Clegg is a failed experiment. TIme for Tim Farron.

http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/there-has-never-been-any-case-of.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Isabel Hardman (@IsabelHardman)
    28/10/2014 13:23
    In the Commons, Mark Harper says he thinks that Kate Green's words about Lord Freud's comments being offensive are offensive.

You offend me sir!
  • Options
    isam said:

Conservatives by 10%

:D
  • Options
    QuinnyQuinny Posts: 1
    Ukip by 2.14%
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    We keep hearing how the Euros/Locals are no guide to the GE, yet IIRC the Clacton and H&M results followed the pattern as it looks as though Rochester will too

(obviously Clacton and H&M were not part of a GE, but still people said on here the locals/Euros were no guide)

Is this another case of the old style thinking needing a spring clean?
  • Options
    Winning party: UKIP

Margin: 12.1%
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I don't know if this has been commented on...

UKIP Hits New Poll High After £1.7bn EU Bill

As the row over the surcharge from Brussels for the UK rumbles on, UKIP climbs four points to 19% in the latest opinion poll

http://news.sky.com/story/1361710/ukip-hits-new-poll-high-after-1-7bn-eu-bill

As far as I can tell, the story is mixing and matching all sorts of ComRes numbers to give a misleading impression.

You could also say that UKIP are down 5 points from the high they had on 16th October. But that wouldn't fit the narrative...

ComRes polls Apr - Oct 2014.
  • Options
    isam said:

We keep hearing how the Euros/Locals are no guide to the GE, yet IIRC the Clacton and H&M results followed the pattern as it looks as though Rochester will too

You will recall that it used to be said that the UKIP failure to win any sort of number of local councillors was a sign that they would never make an impression at Westminster either, and that they would have to do the former before the latter was possible, so it is amusing that this is now irrelevant when UKIP have overcome that hurdle.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Labour 8.15% - but only because the OMRLP are not standing.
  • Options
    Hmmm UKIP only 5/2 now in Rotherham

Was thinking a move might be to back that if the SYPCC is a landslide, but maybe a bit short now?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/rotherham/winning-party
  • Options
    isam said:

(obviously Clacton and H&M were not part of a GE, but still people said on here the locals/Euros were no guide)

Perhaps Isam. I'm loathe to not enter a freebet comp - especially with a political geek book on offer.

I canna see me doing it.

• Options

isam said:

You will recall that it used to be said that the UKIP failure to win any sort of number of local councillors was a sign that they would never make an impression at Westminster either, and that they would have to do the former before the latter was possible, so it is amusing that this is now irrelevant when UKIP have overcome that hurdle.
    Oh that's just standard UKIP hating on here.. people having been shorting UKIP at every level below their current standing for about 18 months
  • Options
    Labour 9.35%
  • Options
    And another Welcome to you, Mr TBookie

Labour by 6.14%

• Options

As the row over the surcharge from Brussels for the UK rumbles on, UKIP climbs four points to 19% in the latest opinion poll

As far as I can tell, the story is mixing and matching all sorts of ComRes numbers to give a misleading impression.

You could also say that UKIP are down 5 points from the high they had on 16th October. But that wouldn't fit the narrative...

Sorry you have dropped a bollock there

The 24% was when UKIP were prompted for as a one off, so you have misread, rather than been mislead
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    LAB 11.91% margin
  • Options
    Are they hoping for the Adrian Mole vote?
    AndyJS said:

The Tories have finally selected in Walsall South: Sue Arnold.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2014/news/former-newspaper-boss-in-bid-to-become-mp/
    http://www.conservatives.com/OurTeam/Prospective_Parliamentary_Candidates/Arnold_Sue.aspx

The Labour MP is Keith Vaz's sister Valerie, elected for the first time in 2010.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    LAB 2.15%
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    Labour 2.82%
  • Options
    Hmm I assume William Hill think the contest is basically a 2 horse race as I couldn't get on Murphy with them to cover stakes. (SLAB Leader)

Sky Bet have accomodated me at any rate for £50 on Murphy.
  • Options
    It will, of course, be Labour. But imagine for one moment if it's not. If UKIP squeek something here that'd be pretty shocking.
  • Options
    Shit - Smithson just shot me with with his Illumanti gun.

Brisky ever helpful for the PB Scots-

Rangers V St Johnstone k/o 7.15 NORMAL TV
  • Options
    isam said:

Sorry you have dropped a bollock there

The 24% was when UKIP were prompted for as a one off, so you have misread, rather than been mislead

I know that. So fortunately I still have all my bollocks.

The point is that UKIP have been at 18-19 % for months.

They cannot argue that it has shot up +4 because of Europe, any more than someone can (sneakily) claim that it has dropped by -5.

• Options
    The one thing that makes me think Labour could well squeak home is the fact that @Shadsy has taken a view against William Hills and given an arbable Top price on UKIP.

@Shadsy is good at these sorts of markets normally.
  • Options
    Ukip by 1.47%
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Labour by 0.22%
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited October 2014
    I understand postal votes are still being sent out to voters that may or may not meet the new voter verification requirements.

Labour by 10%.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Just seen the ladbrokes market on EU payment; no further payment made 1/3, payment less than £1.7m(but think he means b) 5/1, payment made in full 5/1

I reckon the less than full amount 5/1 looks value; reducing it by over a billion would still be spun as a victory for Cameron. What I don't like about the 'no payment' is it doesn't say the time limit which I'd want quite short at those odds

Oh and UKIP by 0.2%
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Just seen the ladbrokes market on EU payment; no further payment made 1/3, payment less than £1.7m(but think he means b) 5/1, payment made in full 5/1

I reckon the less than full amount 5/1 looks value; reducing it by over a billion would still be spun as a victory for Cameron. What I don't like about the 'no payment' is it doesn't say the time limit which I'd want quite short at those odds

Oh and UKIP by 0.2%

Is that market by Dec 1st?

Oh sorry didn't read the post properly
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Talking of postal votes......

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/10/28/Millions-Disappear-In-Campaign-Against-Electoral-Fraud

5 million off the register??

That seems like a massive amount.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Turnout 12.4%
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    edited October 2014
    taffys said:

Talking of postal votes......

5 million off the register??

That seems like a massive amount.

But should it be more..
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    isam said:

Oh and UKIP by 0.2%

Actually, I didn't spot it seems to say by 30th Oct; 1/3 looks pretty good in fact..
  • Options

isam said:

Oh and UKIP by 0.2%

Actually, I didn't spot it seems to say by 30th Oct; 1/3 looks pretty good in fact..
    By 30th Oct?????!

This year???

1/3 is free money!
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    That EU budget market refers to the 1st Dec deadline, and should be billions, obv.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    Labour by 11.11 %

There are so many potentially interesting questions about this vote: what will the turnout be, will Labour voters stay at home, will UKIP voters be encouraged to vote in a higher proportion to the other parties, and will there be any tactical voting?

But the most important question: will the new PCC actually do their f'ing job or just be a political placeman like their predecessor?
This discussion has been closed.