Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The limits of private polling

12346»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

isam said:

In matches with a big fav, ht draw/full time fav is often value... But how often has it been 0-0 at ht and end up 7-0 ????

Wasn't there a Spurs match, that was nil nil at half time and ended 9-1 to Spurs.

Edit: Gah, it was 1 nil to Spurs at half time, and finished 9-1 to Spurs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8365091.stm
    I backed jermaine Defoe first goalscorer that day

I backed Falcao first goalscorer this day

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/atlético-madrid-vs-deportivo-la-coruña/1323089/report

the previous day I had forgotten to put on £100 at 66/1 Ibisevic to score a hat trick for Stuttgart because I had such a bad hangover... Of course it copped... A bad birthday weekend
    I always lose money in matches involving Wigan.
    Wigan were top of my list of teams never to get involved with, City were the same until the money turned up.

Currently Southampton are not to be trusted.
    My bogey side at the moment are Arsenal.
    your bogey side, try being me!!!!
    My bogey betting side.

My bogey side on the pitch is of course Crystal Palace.
    Leicester City play away at Crystal Palace this Saturday.

An interesting one as Warnock has played multiple different players and formations. It will be difficult to predict what formation to expect. Pearson is not one to change a winning formula so expect the same 433 as the team that beat Man United.

It will be a tighter game defensively, and I would forecast a score draw. On the whole I find draws do well in betting as the real partisans bet on wins, while draws represent some value.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Doubts were growing yesterday over Labour’s mansion tax as experts warned that the plan was ill-conceived and based on “guesswork”.

Tim Knox , director of the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, said: “The mansion tax plays very well with the Labour party and wider public sense of ‘them and us’, but it’s quite clear it’s not a real policy. A real policy has proper numbers, real methodology and a real impact assessment. This has none of them.”

He warned that the tax could be “incredibly damaging” to London and its place in the global economy. “It’s hard to think of something that raises such an insignificant amount of money which could cause such a significant amount of damage.”
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4217249.ece
    Scott, let me explain:

Taxing rich people in central London is popular.

There is very limited sympathy for foreign oligarchs, foreign bankers and foreign footballers.
    The footballers won't pay anymore tax. What will happen is their agent will strong arm the club to pay them more to cover any tax increases and then the club will recoup the extra money by putting up ticket and merchandise prices amongst other things. Eventually it will be the ordinary supporter on the streets who will pay.

One of the top foreign players in this country bought a super car for £260,000 through someone my brother knows.

The cheque for payment came from a bank in Monaco
  • Options

You can tell its a bad day for Ed. Where are all are all the Labour lot?

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Another Ed disaster in the making or the Sun going too far?

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 33s

Miliband refuses Sun's offer to pose with a wristband, so the paper runs "Ed hates Help for Heroes" on front page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByU_CZJCEAIubwu.png

This will backfire on the Sun like berating Brown's letter to the mother of a deceased soldier did.
    Brown's sympathy was because of his poor eyesight. Other than bad judgement exactly what disability has Ed Miliband got?
    He's got the right to not to wear what The Sun want him to, to drive their agenda.
    Don't get me wrong, Milliband is a weapons grade c#¥#, but as a supporter of HfH myself, I can't get worked up over this. I got grief for telling a colleague who "nominated" me for that moronic Ice bucket thingy to knob off!
    That's not the point really Yes he has the right to do whatever he wants within the law but it will seem churlish to many not involving himself in this campaign because of concerns about what some of his party members think. It's also rather dumb (as much of his attitudes to the News International Group have been) because Hfh is a popular and uncontentious issue and as the last election proved the Sun is still probably the most influential paper there is particularly amongst Labour's core working class vote and whilst it can't win elections anymore it can still go along way to influencing the outcome in marginal seats.
    The point is, that there is no point to this. It's X Factor politics, and if we've really sunk so low that Milliband not doing The Sun's bidding is important, we're in trouble.
    Oh for goodness sake stop being such a pompous arse. The media matter and anyone who goes into politics is far from noble. They know the score and don't start trying to make out that somehow Miliband takes some moral high ground. The man's a dangerous snake who did a massive amount of wheeling and dealing with the unions to get the top job ahead of his brother.

Politics isn't some rarified Oxbridge debating society it's nitty gritty about what matters to normal people and if you do something as stupid as not go along with the Help for Heroes when you're trying to be PM you deserve a fucking good kicking.
    Feck, that's the first time I've ever been called pompous! I think you're tired and emotional. Milliband deserves a good kicking on many, many things (as does Cameron), but this ain't one of 'em.

• Options
    AllyM said:

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: I won't rule out possibility of another Scottish indep referendum inside five years, @NicolaSturgeon tells #newsnight tonight. 22.30

Here we go. So much for those who claimed the issue was dead for a generation,,,,,,,,,
    If she's serious, she's deluded, in my opinion, if she thinks the UK Parliment will allow that to happen.. Utterly naive at best.

Sturgeon and Swinney especially have been pushing the idea of a Home a Rule and to push the fight to more and more powers. Part of me feels that this chat of 'not ruling out another Referndum' in the next however many years is designed to appease their new, largely bandwagon orientated support. These '45%' goofs especially.

Swerving sideways, my best mate, who is a Nationalist, is concerned with the surge in support from the '45' as he firmly believes it will repel the ordinary, middle of the road voter with their hard left, victim playing, anti-establishment and anti-everything routine. I believe to him a large degree.
    There is a strong possibility that the SNP is in a death spiral. They are bleeding talent at a rapid rate. Another MSP quit the party today. In a few months it may become hard to find the 45. That is not to say that Labour are on a roll. I expect a decade of turbulence in Scottish politics. If you read history that is something the Scots are very good at.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Miliband refuses Sun's offer to pose with a wristband, so the paper runs "Ed hates Help for Heroes" on front page.

This will backfire on the Sun like berating Brown's letter to the mother of a deceased soldier did.
    Oh dear. Utterly ludicrous from the Sun.

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Yeah I remember all those Labour supporters saying the same sort of thing during the 13 plus years that the Sun backed New Labour
    Er, remind me when they put "Howard hates HfH" on their cover? I would have said the same had they done so. Get a grip.
    Of course you would........
    Common decency transcends politics.

You clearly weren't around when I was on here defending Maria Miller from the frothing pitchfork wavers.
    I think that should read 'Poor Judgement transcends politics'. Even your leader was critical of the way the Miller scandal was handled.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

In matches with a big fav, ht draw/full time fav is often value... But how often has it been 0-0 at ht and end up 7-0 ????

Wasn't there a Spurs match, that was nil nil at half time and ended 9-1 to Spurs.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/atlético-madrid-vs-deportivo-la-coruña/1323089/report

the previous day I had forgotten to put on £100 at 66/1 Ibisevic to score a hat trick for Stuttgart because I had such a bad hangover... Of course it copped... A bad birthday weekend
    Wigan were top of my list of teams never to get involved with, City were the same until the money turned up.

My bogey betting side.

An interesting one as Warnock has played multiple different players and formations. It will be difficult to predict what formation to expect. Pearson is not one to change a winning formula so expect the same 433 as the team that beat Man United.

It will be a tighter game defensively, and I would forecast a score draw. On the whole I find draws do well in betting as the real partisans bet on wins, while draws represent some value.
    Without a doubt the draw offers value, I've tried to make an icome backing them but it is difficult
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Ed Miliband can apologise all he likes, it wont make up for the fact that he is not up to the job. Cant even kiss his wife properly...... jeeez... He is just a dork, plain and simple, everything one sees, time after time, says the same thing. He is not up to the job of LOTO never mind PM.

The scary thing is that he might become PM..

I'm not enthused by Ed M being PM, but I don't find it scary, and certainly don't care that he's a dork. He's followed the same sort of professional identikit training for high office as most of his counterparts, I cannot imagine he will do much better or worse than them in personal terms, and his policies will be constrained by fiscal realities to some extent anyway, so there's not all that much to fear on that score either.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Doubts were growing yesterday over Labour’s mansion tax as experts warned that the plan was ill-conceived and based on “guesswork”.

Tim Knox , director of the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, said: “The mansion tax plays very well with the Labour party and wider public sense of ‘them and us’, but it’s quite clear it’s not a real policy. A real policy has proper numbers, real methodology and a real impact assessment. This has none of them.”

He warned that the tax could be “incredibly damaging” to London and its place in the global economy. “It’s hard to think of something that raises such an insignificant amount of money which could cause such a significant amount of damage.”
    Scott, let me explain:

There is very limited sympathy for foreign oligarchs, foreign bankers and foreign footballers.
    The footballers won't pay anymore tax. What will happen is their agent will strong arm the club to pay them more to cover any tax increases and then the club will recoup the extra money by putting up ticket and merchandise prices amongst other things. Eventually it will be the ordinary supporter on the streets who will pay.
    One of the top foreign players in this country bought a super car for £260,000 through someone my brother knows.

Indeed when you earn that sort of money you can employ the best international financial advisers.
  • Options

You can tell its a bad day for Ed. Where are all are all the Labour lot?

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Brown's sympathy was because of his poor eyesight. Other than bad judgement exactly what disability has Ed Miliband got?
    He's got the right to not to wear what The Sun want him to, to drive their agenda.
    Don't get me wrong, Milliband is a weapons grade c#¥#, but as a supporter of HfH myself, I can't get worked up over this. I got grief for telling a colleague who "nominated" me for that moronic Ice bucket thingy to knob off!
    That's not the point really Yes he has the right to do whatever he wants within the law but it will seem churlish to many not involving himself in this campaign because of concerns about what some of his party members think. It's also rather dumb (as much of his attitudes to the News International Group have been) because Hfh is a popular and uncontentious issue and as the last election proved the Sun is still probably the most influential paper there is particularly amongst Labour's core working class vote and whilst it can't win elections anymore it can still go along way to influencing the outcome in marginal seats.
    The point is, that there is no point to this. It's X Factor politics, and if we've really sunk so low that Milliband not doing The Sun's bidding is important, we're in trouble.
    They've been playing X Factor politics for a decade or more from what I recall. We've been in trouble for quite a long time now....
    Yes, you're right on that. Maybe it's time to call a halt? I think we deserve better.

If people didn't want it they wouldn't buy the Sun and those that don't? What right have they to stop others buying their paper of choice?
    Eh? I couldn't give a flyingfeckitydoodah what papers people buy. Buy them all. Buy none. Wipe yer arse on 'em. I don't care.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @manofkent2014
    "Indeed when you earn that sort of money you can employ the best international financial advisers."
    There was an old saying "money goes to money", and like many old sayings, there can be a lot of wisdom in them. (well some at least, how many people here have hairy palms?)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited September 2014

isam said:

isam said:

My bogey betting side.

Plus Palace are managed by Colin* again make them even more unbearable.

*Neil Warnock is an anagram of Colin W*nker
  • Options

Did anyone read Richard Nabavi's feeble attempt to defend this government's record on Rotherham this morning ?

Posting multiple links to different versions of the same things in an attempt to make it look like they had done something.

No matter how many times you link to the same thing it doesn't help if it lacks all substance.

I was looking forward to your apology, but you seem to have to have gone completely bonkers on the subject. Frankly, you sound absolutely mad on this. Why on earth on you picking on Baroness Warsi in particular? I'm not particularly a fan of hers, but if you'd actually bothered to look at the links I'd posted, you'd find that she was one of the very few politicians who were sounding warnings early on.
    So Warsi was 'sounding warnings early on' was she ?

The interview you linked to was in May 2012 and was in response to one of the Rochdale trials.

2012 that is - FIFTEEN years after the abuse in Rotherham began and two years AFTER there were convictions regarding Rotherham.

Now perhaps you might like to inform us of what Warsi actually DID during her two years as Communities Minister.

After all Warsi boasted that she was so well suited to show some leadership and she was so well placed to find out about Rotherham in particular with her being big buddies with Lord Ahmed of Rotherham.

So what did Warsi actually do ? Did she discuss things with Home Secretary Teresa May and press for an investigation into the South Yorkshire plods perhaps ? Or maybe she asked Children's Minister Edward Timpson to place Rotherham's Children's Services into special measures ? Who knows, I don't, do you ? Wouldn't you like to know what Warsi did during her two years as Communities Minister ?

So that's why I keep asking what Warsi knew and what Warsi did about it.

And yes RN I am a little mad about this. That's because I know people, both relatives and work colleagues, who live among those parts of Rotherham where the victims live. Fortunately none have been personally affected so far, at least to my knowledge, but that's not thanks to any help from this government's inactions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ed Miliband can apologise all he likes, it wont make up for the fact that he is not up to the job. Cant even kiss his wife properly...... jeeez... He is just a dork, plain and simple, everything one sees, time after time, says the same thing. He is not up to the job of LOTO never mind PM.

I'm not enthused by Ed M being PM, but I don't find it scary, and certainly don't care that he's a dork. He's followed the same sort of professional identikit training for high office as most of his counterparts, I cannot imagine he will do much better or worse than them in personal terms, and his policies will be constrained by fiscal realities to some extent anyway, so there's not all that much to fear on that score either.

It'll be like David Moyes being manager of Man United. Out of his depth......
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2014
    as above
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

Previous wages from when he played abroad.

He would pay 50k vat which paid for schools n hospitals...
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

Feck, that's the first time I've ever been called pompous! I think you're tired and emotional. Milliband deserves a good kicking on many, many things (as does Cameron), but this ain't one of 'em.

Sub-text = menopausal, dear? ;)

I remember chatting to a leading literary agent who would get exasperated at the snobbishness towards The Sun and The Mail. OK, their politics may not be to everyone's tastes but they don't just drive an agenda, they are also a litmus test for what a lot of people think. And actually the journalism, as distinct from the politics, is pretty damn good in both those papers. Not going along with ('giving in to' if you prefer) something as core as Help for Heroes shows what an idiot Miliband is and he deserves to be mauled for it. You just don't behave like that if you want to be PM. Can you seriously, seriously, seriously, imagine the master politician of them all, Bill Clinton, being that damned stupid?

Miliband is so incompetent he is actually starting to make Gordon Brown look under-rated, and that's something I never thought I'd utter in my lifetime.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

kle4 said:

Perhaps not a great comparison, if one thinks Ed M will be terrible - Moyes just needed a bit more time, and Ed M will have Five years, now he doesn't have to worry about legitimacy and Scotland leaving.

Even out of his depth though, I'm skeptical of how much damage he could do. He's claiming right now that he needs 10 years to fix what the Tories have done in less than Five, which strikes me as an exaggeration/great excuse for why things will not be all sunshine and roses when he is PM, and as much as I don't think the Tories personally have caused so much damage that would require two terms to fix, economically things are tough enough that Ed M won't be able to take too many risks, surely, and any social policies can always be overturned by a successor with little difficulty.

Night all.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

My bogey betting side.

Over the last ten years 25.5% of Premier League games have been drawn. This means in simple arithmetic terms that if you back draws at average odds of 3/1 or more you should finish ahead.
    Sounds easy doesn't it ....... sadly it's not!
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I caught Sturgeon being interviewed on STV tonight. The fact that her voice is now giving way under the weight of campaigning for 'Independence' still hasn't shut her up on her favourite subject nearly a week after the Scots voted NO. And in the meantime, I am waiting for the moment when both she and her party remember that they were actually elected to govern at Holyrood on a promise to deliver on a damn sight more than just this Indy Referendum.

Its going to be interesting to see how vital services like the NHS and Education have been fairing under the stewardship of the SNP in the last couple of years when normal politics is resumed. I have had some personal experience of the Scottish NHS over the summer, and I am getting ever more concerned about the state of front line services and increasing waiting lists. We have also got the performance of the Curriculum of excellence to scrutinise, and worries that despite free tuition, there is also now less places available for Scots students in our Universities.

AllyM said:

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: I won't rule out possibility of another Scottish indep referendum inside five years, @NicolaSturgeon tells #newsnight tonight. 22.30

Here we go. So much for those who claimed the issue was dead for a generation,,,,,,,,,
    If she's serious, she's deluded, in my opinion, if she thinks the UK Parliment will allow that to happen.. Utterly naive at best.

Sturgeon and Swinney especially have been pushing the idea of a Home a Rule and to push the fight to more and more powers. Part of me feels that this chat of 'not ruling out another Referndum' in the next however many years is designed to appease their new, largely bandwagon orientated support. These '45%' goofs especially.

Swerving sideways, my best mate, who is a Nationalist, is concerned with the surge in support from the '45' as he firmly believes it will repel the ordinary, middle of the road voter with their hard left, victim playing, anti-establishment and anti-everything routine. I believe to him a large degree.
    There is a strong possibility that the SNP is in a death spiral. They are bleeding talent at a rapid rate. Another MSP quit the party today. In a few months it may become hard to find the 45. That is not to say that Labour are on a roll. I expect a decade of turbulence in Scottish politics. If you read history that is something the Scots are very good at.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Yeah I remember all those Labour supporters saying the same sort of thing during the 13 plus years that the Sun backed New Labour
    Er, remind me when they put "Howard hates HfH" on their cover? I would have said the same had they done so. Get a grip.

You clearly weren't around when I was on here defending Maria Miller from the frothing pitchfork wavers.
    I think that should read 'Poor Judgement transcends politics'. Even your leader was critical of the way the Miller scandal was handled.
    I'm not a member of any party and the way Miller was hounded out of office was sickening.

A decent family woman who ushered through controversial yet worthy legislation and broke no law.
  • Options

Hehe brilliant Sun cover!

You need to learn not to mess with the media. And you definitely need to learn not to mess with Help for Heroes. Well, not if you want to stand any chance of being PM.

He shares characteristics with another Ed: Miliband is the Ed Wood of politics.

A moronic post. Truly cretinous.
    'Bob' you've vainly attempted all day to prop up Miliband and in some ways I'm feeling rather warm towards you. Bereft of content you're like a nebula whose star long since burnt out but who leaves a distant glow: a reliquary of something that once had a place and purpose.
    Idiotic. Imbecilic.
  • Options

Hehe brilliant Sun cover!

You need to learn not to mess with the media. And you definitely need to learn not to mess with Help for Heroes. Well, not if you want to stand any chance of being PM.

He shares characteristics with another Ed: Miliband is the Ed Wood of politics.

A moronic post. Truly cretinous.
    Rattled are we
    No.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

You didn't think the Sun Editorial team were going to just forget about Ed Miliband's very public apology for posing with a copy of their newspaper? And in asking that question of me, you missed the entire point of my post. Why aren't you directing that question at Ed Miliband's team of SPADS who get paid handsomely to avoid these PR disasters?

David Cameron has just been caught bang to rights after being recorded indiscreetly discussing the Queen's reaction to the Indy Referendum result. His apology has made the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail - Forgive me, your majesty: Cameron's humbling apology after boasting that Queen 'purred down the phone' to him over Scots vote

"David Cameron issued a humbling apology to the Queen last night for letting slip her ecstatic reaction to the Scottish referendum result.

The Prime Minister said he was ‘very embarrassed’ and ‘extremely sorry’ to have revealed the Queen’s private views during a conversation he did not know was being picked up by microphones.

His public apology to the monarch is thought to be without precedent for a serving premier. He said he would be following it up with a personal phone call."

fitalass said:

After the fiasco with the Sun earlier in the summer, surely Ed Miliband and his team should have been prepared for a Sun stunt like this at their Conference and had a plan in place to avoid such a PR disaster?
    BBC - Ed Miliband apologises for offence over Sun picture

"Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour MPs have criticised their leader for associating himself with the paper, which has long been criticised for its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Miliband said he "understood the anger" felt on Merseyside about it.

Groups representing victims and survivors of the 1989 tragedy expressed anger at Mr Miliband's actions, one describing them as an "absolute disgrace"."

Scott_P said:

@Selkie: Miliband refuses to pose with Help for Heroes wristband. Ugly. http://t.co/7Y99C0Ltuc ht @suttonnick

What's your view of the likely outcome Scott? As usual, you don't say, preferring instead to retweet the drivel of others.
    So what do you suggest he did today then?

If this is a "stunt" by the Sun as you say, it's a pretty sick one, given it is for a charity for injured soldiers
    Again I ask, what do you suggest Ed did today?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    @another_richard - She was Communities Minister. She wasn't running the South Yorks police force. Even the Home Secretary doesn't intervene in criminal investigations. Meanwhile there was an investigation under way (one which turned out to be both thorough and devastating in its conclusion, so certainly no white-wash). Of course no-one was going to pre-empt that. We live in a democratic country under the rule of law.

There are certainly many people who do have serious questions to answer, but your picking on Baroness Warsi and Theresa May, who weren't even in office at the time, is just bizarre.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2014

Scott_P said:

Tory think tank attacks Labour policy.

In other news, ScottP spams PB.
    (Bobajob) .....While you are about it can you explain what equal rights for the self employed means please.
    That is not very fair to Labour's Bobajob. Asking them to define the undefinable is an impossible task. Is it SEET4SE?

Self Employed Employment Tribunals for Self Employed?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

I believe the usual response is to say that all the foreign footballers will leave London with Arsenal consequently being reduced to the level of Accrington Stanley.

But you've given me an idea. The next time my council tax is increased I'll ask my boss for a corresponding payrise with the extra cost being passed onto our customers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps not a great comparison, if one thinks Ed M will be terrible - Moyes just needed a bit more time, and Ed M will have Five years, now he doesn't have to worry about legitimacy and Scotland leaving.

Even out of his depth though, I'm skeptical of how much damage he could do. He's claiming right now that he needs 10 years to fix what the Tories have done in less than Five, which strikes me as an exaggeration/great excuse for why things will not be all sunshine and roses when he is PM, and as much as I don't think the Tories personally have caused so much damage that would require two terms to fix, economically things are tough enough that Ed M won't be able to take too many risks, surely, and any social policies can always be overturned by a successor with little difficulty.

Night all.
    Moyes had an unhealthy mix of tired aging stars well past their best and novices not equipped to do the job. Miliband has much the same problems but without the stars. The likes of Balls, the Eagles, Flint, Timms , Alexander and Miliband himself are well passed their sell by date and the likes of Umunna, Hunt and Reeves are just not up to it.

Give anyone enough time and the odds are anyone will get it right in the end. However, time is a luxury football managers and politicians don't have. Moyes asked for more time, Miliband by asking for ten years is already asking for more time. Moyes didn't get it and nor will Miliband. Miliband has got 5 years to deliver. If he doesn't he's gone...

• Options

@another_richard - She was Communities Minister. She wasn't running the South Yorks police force. Even the Home Secretary doesn't intervene in criminal investigations. Meanwhile there was an investigation under way (one which turned out to be both thorough and devastating in its conclusion, so certainly no white-wash). Of course no-one was going to pre-empt that. We live in a democratic country under the rule of law.

There are certainly many people who do have serious questions to answer, but your picking on Baroness Warsi and Theresa May, who weren't even in office at the time, is just bizarre.

A handful of posters on here long since took leave of their senses when it comes to this issue, sadly.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Salmond probably still believes that he did win.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.

I'm not a member of any party and the way Miller was hounded out of office was sickening.

A decent family woman who ushered through controversial yet worthy legislation and broke no law.
    Blimey. That 'broke no law' excuse still being trotted out over the expenses scandal. She got the taxpayer to foot the bill for housing her parents. She also obstructed the investigation into her malfeasance.

And as for sympathy, she abused parliamentary expenses but still kept her job as an MP. She did not abuse ministerial expenses.

And on a Rotherham note, she did nothing about child abuse at the BBC even though the scandal broke while she was minister at the DCMS.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2014
    At least Lib Dem voice appreciates Ed's anecdotes.

Wednesday in the park with Ed.

'.@caronmlindsay "I met this man called Steve and he asked about this thing called the deficit? Have you heard of it? No, me neither."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm not enthused by Ed M being PM, but I don't find it scary, and certainly don't care that he's a dork. He's followed the same sort of professional identikit training for high office as most of

Night all.
    Moyes had an unhealthy mix of tired aging stars well past their best and novices not equipped to do the job. Miliband has much the same problems but without the stars. The likes of Balls, the Eagles, Flint, Timms , Alexander and Miliband himself are well passed their sell by date and the likes of Umunna, Hunt and Reeves are just not up to it.

Give anyone enough time and the odds are anyone will get it right in the end. However, time is a luxury football managers and politicians don't have. Moyes asked for more time, Miliband by asking for ten years is already asking for more time. Moyes didn't get it and nor will Miliband. Miliband has got 5 years to deliver. If he doesn't he's gone...

Moyes was admitted to hospital on Sunday, apparently his sides had split!

Man United fans may want to take a pill before reading The Leicester Mercury's match report:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Mercury-Opinion-message-bitter-Man-Utd-fans-stop/story-22971791-detail/story.html?

I agree, but Ed has had more time than Moyes already. He exists at present in Fergie time.
  • Options
    @_Bobajob_ I have a help for Heroes wristband, and I do all I can to support that particular charity because of my family connections to the Military. I don't buy the Sun newspaper, neither do I have a subscription to it online.

I think that Ed Miliband made the wrong call way back when he first posed with a copy of the Sun World Cup special, then apologised for doing so even though it was quite clear he was showing his support for the England team at the World Cup rather than endorsing the Sun newspaper. That was when the dye was cast for this PR disaster now, he has effectively refused to openly support an incredible military charity because some members of his party have a problem with the Sun newspaper. This is a big Leadership fail for the Official Leader of the Opposition, and one that indicates yet again he is not fit to be PM. I would have put my support for Help for Heroes above any dislike of the Sun newspaper.

A while back, both Cameron and Clegg met the Dalai Lama when Salmond avoided doing so because he was desperate to get a couple of pandas on view at Edinburgh Zoo and didn't want to upset the Chinese. Neither Cameron or Clegg had that problem. You don't get to shy away from dealing with people or parts of the media you dislike when your are the UK PM rather than just the Leader of the Labour party. Is Ed Miliband now planning to do a Salmond by refusing the newspapers he dislikes access to his press conferences as well?

fitalass said:

You didn't think the Sun Editorial team were going to just forget about Ed Miliband's very public apology for posing with a copy of their newspaper? And in asking that question of me, you missed the entire point of my post. Why aren't you directing that question at Ed Miliband's team of SPADS who get paid handsomely to avoid these PR disasters?

• Options

What do you mean that Warsi and May 'weren't even in office at the time' ???

Do you think this all happened before May 2010 ???

Do you think this only happened in Rotherham ???

Do you think this isn't happening in various towns right now ???

Aren't you curious about what Warsi knew ???

Aren't you curious about what Warsi did ???

Well I am and I'm not the only one. Look at this passage in Warsi's LES interview of May 2012:

" Shortly after nine men were convicted, Lady Warsi sat down to dinner at her parents’ house and her father asked what the Government was going to do about it. She did not know. The baroness recalled: “Dad then said, ‘Well, what are you doing about it?’ I said, ‘Oh, it’s not me, it’s a Home Office issue’.” At this her father, Safdar, gave her a remarkable lecture.

“He said to me: ‘Sayeeda, what is the point in being in a position of leadership if you don’t lead on issues that are so fundamental? This is so stomach churningly sick that you should have been out there condemning it as loudly as you could. Uniquely, you are in a position to show leadership on this.’ "

And what do you suggest a Home Secretary should do when widespread evidence is revealed that a police force is collaborating with criminals ?

A Home Office researcher has stated that the South Yorkshire police threatened her to stop her investigations into the issue. Do you not think that Theresa May should do something about this?
  • Options
    Absolutely. That claim by the SNP/Yes campaign about only being able to deliver real democracy to the Scots through Independence is now wearing very thin. You won't get a more resounding democratic result than the one delivered last Friday morning with that level of voter engagement and turnout.
    Chris_A said:

Salmond probably still believes that he did win.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

There is a strong possibility that the SNP is in a death spiral.

Most delusional post ever in the history of pbc?

There is a lot of competition but consider that this was posted *after* the SNP is reported to have doubled its membership and taken its place as the third biggest party across the UK as a whole.

But, yeah, death spiral. Nutter.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited September 2014
    Iraq/Syria

From earlier post. It appears IS are releasing some prisoners in Syria but so far they appear to be rival militiamen. The odd but potentially worrying subtext is that some are reported to be from Jabhat Al Nusra, the local Al Qaeda affiliate, a deadly rival to IS but also a target for US air-strikes last night

The US has struck against a high value, assumed IS, target in Syria this evening. High value being an individual(s) not a location. No news on whether they got their man or men.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Neil, that post says more about you than it does about @hamiltonace, you obviously don't get it even now when it comes to just how nasty and divisive the whole Indy Referendum debate became towards the end. Do you think for a moment that the Yes campaign wouldn't have been out celebrating on the streets had the vote gone their way by just 50.001%? No, neither do I, but lets not forget that Salmond had his helicopter on standby to fly him into Stirling if Scotland had voted Yes so convinced were the SNP/Yes campaign that they had won! But even now, a week later, we are all witnessing the evidence of the Yes sides lingering bitterness and denial at the actual result in our daily lives up here in Scotland.

A good friend of mine was in a taxi going home from a night last Friday, the taxi driver actually got quite aggressive when she refused to say how she had voted in the Referendum. I will leave you to work the conclusion he came to, and the subsequent abuse he then levelled at her as a result of her reticence to reveal she was a No voter. She was left very shaken and upset at this incident.

Welcome to a Scotland where we now have a very unhappy 45% now using that figure to represent their feelings alongside their newly found membership of the SNP. Just think for minute about what that number flags up on the battlefield of Scottish history, and in a country that has so often been blighted by Sectarianism in the past.

So the SNP have increased their membership in the aftermath of losing the Independence vote, and yet you seem to think that the mostly silent majority of No voters have suddenly evaporated? Well hamiltonace is certainly proving that he is a No voter that isn't going to disappear quietly on this political site! Where were you when MalcolmG was on here ranting daily at any poster that dared to disagree with the SNP/Yes Independence cause. I must have missed you declaring his posts delusional and calling him a nutter almost daily! We had an incredible level of voter registration recorded in Scotland this year, and 85% turned up on the day to vote. And while the SNP might be boasting about record levels of new membership this week, that 55% who voted No have not disappeared and will also be eligible to vote at the next GE and the subsequent Holyrood elections.
    Neil said:

There is a strong possibility that the SNP is in a death spiral.

Most delusional post ever in the history of pbc?

There is a lot of competition but consider that this was posted *after* the SNP is reported to have doubled its membership and taken its place as the third biggest party across the UK as a whole.

But, yeah, death spiral. Nutter.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    ICM Wales poll (change on GE):

CON 23 (-3)
    LAB 38 (+2)
    LDEM 7 (-13)
    Plaid 13 (+2)
    UKIP 14 (+12)

A lot better for Con than national polls - Con would retain its 8 seats (net) on those numbers (one gain, one loss). Lab gain 2 seats, LD lose 2 seats.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/
  • Options
    David Cameron is currently giving a very thought provoking speech at the UN.
  • Options
    Twitter
    Dukesy ‏@dukesy12 27 mins
    If @Ed_Miliband was giving this speech to the UN that @David_Cameron is delivering he'd have forgot what he was going to say by now
  • Options
    Well I know that as the saying goes "and if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bicycle" but no one seems to have commented on the exceptional turnout in the Scottish Referendum.

Making some dangerous assumptions here but follow the logic. These types of elections tend to galvanise one side rather than the other. Like the EU elections tend to maximise the anti EU vote rather than the pro or happy as I am voter. The actual UKIP vote as numbers rather than percentage has not changed much over the last two EU elections although the percentage has. A lot of voters are just not voting.

You would therefore expect all those in favour of Scottish Independence to turn out and vote and a lot of happy with the status quo to stay at home / not bother voting as I do not want change.

On the figures for the Yes vote assuming they always turned up they would have won on anything up to a 75% turnout. So the scare mongering to get the turnout up bu the No vote was essential to a winning No vote. The last GE in Scotland had 65% turnout in most constituencies so you can see why the SNP were so confident of a YES.

You show me a campaign manager who would not have been confident of a win if he had the numbers to win in anything up to a 75% turnout.
This discussion has been closed.