Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The limits of private polling

Comments

• Options
    isam said:

Fraser Nelson (@FraserNelson)
    24/09/2014 21:54
    A man has been charged in connection with roadside bombs recovered from Al Anbar province in Iraq. He's from Wembley: bbc.in/1pdigjA

So am I, it was a really nice place to grow up in the 60's and 70's.

Still the benefits of diversity and all that....
  • Options

You accuse me of being too sure that I'm right. Well, I'll throw back that your position just appears to be one of supporting the party line. As ever. Tell me, how many times did you vote against the party whip in the thirteen years you were an MP?

35 times. And not enough. But as usual you ignore inconvenient parts of posts that you are responding to. I say I'm reluctantly in favour of bombing, you respond to ask if I'm in favour of bombing. I say I disagreed with my party over Libya, you respond that I always support the party line.

I'll leave you to it.
    "But as usual you ignore inconvenient parts of posts that you are responding to."

Heh. I could say the same for you.

I'll give you Libya; you did disagree with your party there. But it still stands that your voting record was lamentable, although you were far from being the worst MP. Then again, I dislike the party system and the sheep-like MPs of all parties that it creates.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Does Ed Miliband have insurance? He needs it after that car crash of an interview..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    TSE Agree, and we need to wait for all the conferences to end to see the impact, but clearly Ed's speech will not be challenging JFK, MLK, even Thatcher or Kinnock in the greatest oratory of all time!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Where can I see the Jon Snow interview?
  • Options

Just watched the snow interview with ed and the labour front bench haven't a clue on economics,Christ they bad.

But I'm beginning to think,ed's ,shit hitting the fan proof ;-) can someone tell me when if ever we will see regular tory leads in the polls ;-)

Just asking,abit worried about me country ;-)

And you haven't a clue about punctuation and grammar!

Just watched the Snow interview with Ed, and the Labour Front Bench haven't a clue on economics. Christ, they are bad!

But I'm beginning to think, Ed's shit-hitting-the-fan-proof ;-)
    Can someone tell me when, if ever, we will see regular Tory leads in the polls? ;-)

Just asking; a bit worried about my country ;-)

Give us a break Grammar Nazi ;-)

Is it that obvious I was brought up in a labour city ;-)
    Sorry, I couldn't resist :)
  • Options

Just watched the snow interview with ed and the labour front bench haven't a clue on economics,Christ they bad.

But I'm beginning to think,ed's ,shit hitting the fan proof ;-) can someone tell me when if ever we will see regular tory leads in the polls ;-)

There'll definitely be regular Tory leads in the polls once Miliband's PM and Boris is LotO.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the seventh anniversary of Sion Simon's magnum opus, you know the one that said

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

Shall I do a thread on it tomorrow?

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Britain Elects (@britainelects)
    24/09/2014 21:17
    Best party to control immigration (ComRes):
    UKIP - 43%
    CON - 16%
    LAB - 12%
    LDEM - 4%
    (DK) - 25%
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Where can I see the Jon Snow interview?

scan down the thread its there in at least two posts
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Selkie: Miliband refuses to pose with Help for Heroes wristband. Ugly. http://t.co/7Y99C0Ltuc ht @suttonnick
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2014

The Snow-MIliband interview is up here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ygfbpHJGM

Why has EdM been hospitalized?
    Socrates,ed interview here.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2014

Tomorrow is the seventh anniversary of Sion Simon's magnum opus, you know the one that said

yes please, we need a take the p*ss article!
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014
    Ooh what's this I've found on Twitter?

ChristinaD ‏@fitalass Oct 31

@SarahVine Really hope the Tories have a targeted love bombing operation in place aimed at getting Jeremy to defect over to the Blue side.

https://twitter.com/fitalass/status/396059242785828864
  • Options
    Oh crap,

Another Ed disaster in the making or the Sun going too far?

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 33s

Miliband refuses Sun's offer to pose with a wristband, so the paper runs "Ed hates Help for Heroes" on front page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByU_CZJCEAIubwu.png
  • Options

The fact that you are thankful that the mass-murdering, chemical-weapon using, terrorist supporting, hereditary madman is winning the war is enough.

And I see you dodge the OPCW issue.

Idiotic Orwellian doublespeak. Everyone in this thread knows it is the West and its allies who have supported terrorists in the region -to say it's Assad is simply you hoping if you tell a big enough lie enough times you'll get away with it. The rebels have also been the ones shown to be using chemical weapons -they are after all the people who we are now being asked to bomb. Hereditary mad man? Utter barrel scraping desperation.

People should watch this on the genisis of the entire Syrian conflict:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwv7JXgPxLI&list=PLqQQFOVUZBLjYqXyt5LCbK3TDDqh8s_8r
    The first man speaking in the video has now been murdered.

I would ask you to watch it if I thought for a second you were actively seeking facts rather than pursuing an agenda.

• Options
    Socrates, the Andrew Neil interview is equally telling. They haven't go a f*cking clue.
  • Options

The Snow-MIliband interview is up here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ygfbpHJGM

Why has EdM been hospitalized?
    It's the psychiatric unit.
  • Options

There'll definitely be regular Tory leads in the polls once Miliband's PM and Boris is LotO.
    So no confidence in Cameron ;-)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

UKIP - 43%
    CON - 16%
    LAB - 12%
    LDEM - 4%
    (DK) - 25%

ELBOW shows a 1.3% drop in UKIP support between 14th and 21st September.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,221
    Scott_P said:

@Selkie: Miliband refuses to pose with Help for Heroes wristband. Ugly. http://t.co/7Y99C0Ltuc ht @suttonnick

Yawn. Another tacky Sun stunt. If all politicians are expected to be is no more than performing seals, it's no wonder most of them are crap these days.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

Oh crap,

Miliband refuses Sun's offer to pose with a wristband, so the paper runs "Ed hates Help for Heroes" on front page.

This will backfire on the Sun like berating Brown's letter to the mother of a deceased soldier did.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Miliband getting in a real muddle over The Sun. Suspect that v few Lab people would have attacked him 4 Sun pic with Help 4 Heroes wristband
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    Nick Robinson BBC1 interview far more damaging for Miliband as it's got 10 times the audience of C4.

Not much Miliband could have done but Robinson just made Miliband look hopeless for not mentioning the deficit.

Robinson also said the Child Benefit 1% cap would save one thousandth of the deficit.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Here's the Ed speech bounce.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 9s
    National Opinion Poll (YouGov):
    LAB - 37% (-1)
    CON - 33% (+2)
    UKIP - 13% (-2)
    LDEM - 7% (=)

I think Labour are unchanged. But, it's not much of a bounce. IMHO, Labour could be c. 34% after the Tory conference.
    This is a big opportunity for Cameron and the Conservatives to move into a lead. If he does, the panic in Labour will be great fun to watch. But, I do not underestimate Cameron & Osborne's ability to blow the opportunity, after all they put Billy Vague in charge of the EV4EL matter....
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2014
    Ed on BBC with Robinson wasn't pretty either. Truly breathtaking lack of grasp of what he would face in No 10 ( or utter duplicity in pretending it'll be all ok on the night, while concealing the facts).

This man may well actually represent us in Beijing and Washington and Brussels. Just scary.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

This man may well actually represent us in Beijing and Washington and Brussels. Just scary.

Remember he has already represented the UK in a major International forum.

He cried.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

This will backfire on the Sun like berating Brown's letter to the mother of a deceased soldier did.
    Agree.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ed is a knobber
  • Options

The fact that you are thankful that the mass-murdering, chemical-weapon using, terrorist supporting, hereditary madman is winning the war is enough.

And I see you dodge the OPCW issue.

Idiotic Orwellian doublespeak. Everyone in this thread knows it is the West and its allies who have supported terrorists in the region -to say it's Assad is simply you hoping if you tell a big enough lie enough times you'll get away with it. The rebels have also been the ones shown to be using chemical weapons -they are after all the people who we are now being asked to bomb. Hereditary mad man? Utter barrel scraping desperation.

People should watch this on the genisis of the entire Syrian conflict:
    (snip)

I would ask you to watch it if I thought for a second you were actively seeking facts rather than pursuing an agenda.

I've got no agenda related to this, real or hidden. You're welcome to think otherwise.
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options

Does Ed Miliband have insurance? He needs it after that car crash of an interview..

It is of course entirely possible that EdM cannot drive Labour any lower through his own ratings. His negatives may not be capable of lowering the number anymore. Will GE 2015 be another election similar to GE 2010 etc where the Labour party Leader is omitted from Labour's election material?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Scott_P said:

welshowl said:

Remember he has already represented the UK in a major International forum.

He cried.
    So will I
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    If I was Miliband I would sit down for one full day and I would go through and make sure I knew every major figure re the public finances:

Deficit
    Debt
    Total public spending
    Health budget
    Education
    Welfare
    Defence
    All major tax rates
    etc etc

Remember Rachel Reeves didn't know what the state pension was the other day.

Journalists are going to think they've got an open goal if Miliband doesn't get a grip right now of every key figure.

But the question is - is he numerate? Is he capable of remembering numbers? Does he have a feel of how the numbers all fit together?
  • Options
    Douglas Alexander Freudian slip 'We will campaign under the banner of Labour's plan for Labour's future..er Britain's future' http://www.conservativehome.com/video/2014/09/watch-douglas-alexanders-general-election-freudian-slip.html
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    The smart thing to do would be to get Ed to wear a HfH wristband and then put up a picture on the Labour party twitter feed, "supporting Help for Heroes". Get's around being on the Sun front page and angering half of his activist base but still is seen to be supporting a worthwhile cause.

Still don't think it is a big deal though.
  • Options
    Squareroot Indeed, a literal head-on collision with swing voters
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If I was Miliband I would sit down for one full day and I would go through and make sure I knew every major figure re the public finances:

Deficit
    Debt
    Total public spending
    Health budget
    Education
    Welfare
    Defence
    All major tax rates
    etc etc

Journalists are going to think they've got an open goal if Miliband doesn't get a grip right now of every key figure.

But the question is - is he numerate? Is he capable of remembering numbers? Does he have a feel of how the numbers all fit together?

Rachel Reeves? Where?

:)
  • Options
    You can tell its a bad day for Ed. Where are all are all the Labour lot?
    MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Brown's sympathy was because of his poor eyesight. Other than bad judgement exactly what disability has Ed Miliband got?
  • Options
    @TSE

Regarding Sion Simon - oh, go on, then!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Ed on BBC with Robinson wasn't pretty either. Truly breathtaking lack of grasp of what he would face in No 10 ( or utter duplicity in pretending it'll be all ok on the night, while concealing the facts).

No professional outfit would hire him as an Account Manager to represent their Company.
  • Options
    Did anyone read Richard Nabavi's feeble attempt to defend this government's record on Rotherham this morning ?

Posting multiple links to different versions of the same things in an attempt to make it look like they had done something.

No matter how many times you link to the same thing it doesn't help if it lacks all substance.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Oh dear. Utterly ludicrous from the Sun.

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
  • Options
    I don't think the Snow interview was all that bad. Miliband played a very poor hand pretty well. The car crash came previously, when he missed out major chunks of his speech on the two most important issues ranked by voters.
  • Options

Labour will be third in the polls behind the Conservatives and UKIP.

The SNP might go for another IndyRef.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Yeah I remember all those Labour supporters saying the same sort of thing during the 13 plus years that the Sun backed New Labour
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

I disagree. I think it looks pretty bad to not be part of a very noble charity drive because you don't like the newspaper doing it.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Deficit
    Debt
    Total public spending
    Health budget
    Education
    Welfare
    Defence
    All major tax rates
    etc etc

Rachel Reeves? Where?

Nick Ferrari show on LBC on Monday. Replayed on BBC2 Daily Politics.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What's your view of the likely outcome Scott? As usual, you don't say, preferring instead to retweet the drivel of others.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2014

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Brown's sympathy was because of his poor eyesight. Other than bad judgement exactly what disability has Ed Miliband got?
    He's got the right to not to wear what The Sun want him to, to drive their agenda.
    Don't get me wrong, Milliband is a weapons grade c#¥#, but as a supporter of HfH myself, I can't get worked up over this. I got grief for telling a colleague who "nominated" me for that moronic Ice bucket thingy to knob off!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Well he has a speech impediment bad enough to be classified as a disability. Very "brave" of labour to pick a Leader with this.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

I disagree. I think it looks pretty bad to not be part of a very noble charity drive because you don't like the newspaper doing it.
    Who says he doesn't back the charity?
  • Options
    isam said:

UKIP - 43%
    CON - 16%
    LAB - 12%
    LDEM - 4%
    (DK) - 25%

UKIP leads across all social classes, and all age groups on that issue.

p.11 of the PDF
    http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/ITV_News_Index_24th_September_2014.pdf
  • Options
    “For the 48 hours around David Cameron’s announcement on English votes, it was panic. Every option was considered. We were going to do English votes for English laws, an English parliament, and then we weren’t. It was like a democratic audit seminar.”

There is a worry that the past fortnight has been a foretaste of the election. “What you saw was what you will see in the short campaign,” said one.

Several sources said the real problem was the quality of many of the people around the leader. “I have never ever seen anything as dysfunctional. We make a decision. Then it’s reversed . . . It’s just the most chaotic organisation.”

Their collective eight-month job interview for Downing Street has begun.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4217190.ece
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The smart thing to do would be to get Ed to wear a HfH wristband and then put up a picture on the Labour party twitter feed, "supporting Help for Heroes". Get's around being on the Sun front page and angering half of his activist base but still is seen to be supporting a worthwhile cause.

Still don't think it is a big deal though.

The WWC will though, along with stuff like allowing Scottish MP's to vote on English laws it's all a gift for UKIP.

Right or wrong that is the reality.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Deficit
    Debt
    Total public spending
    Health budget
    Education
    Welfare
    Defence
    All major tax rates
    etc etc

Rachel Reeves? Where?

Here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2766383/Whoops-Labour-s-shadow-pensions-minister-Rachel-Reeves-does-not-know-state-pension-worth.html
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Yeah I remember all those Labour supporters saying the same sort of thing during the 13 plus years that the Sun backed New Labour
    Er, remind me when they put "Howard hates HfH" on their cover? I would have said the same had they done so. Get a grip.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

A face that only a mother could love?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Deficit
    Debt
    Total public spending
    Health budget
    Education
    Welfare
    Defence
    All major tax rates
    etc etc

Rachel Reeves? Where?

Nick Ferrari show on LBC on Monday. Replayed on BBC2 Daily Politics.
    Thanks!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Well he has a speech impediment bad enough to be classified as a disability. Very "brave" of labour to pick a Leader with this.
    Other than talking garbage and forgetting key parts of his speech exactly what speech impediment is that?
  • Options
    Doubts were growing yesterday over Labour’s mansion tax as experts warned that the plan was ill-conceived and based on “guesswork”.

Tim Knox , director of the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, said: “The mansion tax plays very well with the Labour party and wider public sense of ‘them and us’, but it’s quite clear it’s not a real policy. A real policy has proper numbers, real methodology and a real impact assessment. This has none of them.”

He warned that the tax could be “incredibly damaging” to London and its place in the global economy. “It’s hard to think of something that raises such an insignificant amount of money which could cause such a significant amount of damage.”
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4217249.ece
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    After the fiasco with the Sun earlier in the summer, surely Ed Miliband and his team should have been prepared for a Sun stunt like this at their Conference and had a plan in place to avoid such a PR disaster?
    BBC - Ed Miliband apologises for offence over Sun picture

"Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour MPs have criticised their leader for associating himself with the paper, which has long been criticised for its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Miliband said he "understood the anger" felt on Merseyside about it.

Groups representing victims and survivors of the 1989 tragedy expressed anger at Mr Miliband's actions, one describing them as an "absolute disgrace"."

Scott_P said:

What's your view of the likely outcome Scott? As usual, you don't say, preferring instead to retweet the drivel of others.
  • Options
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

He's got the right to not to wear what The Sun want him to, to drive their agenda.
    Don't get me wrong, Milliband is a weapons grade c#¥#, but as a supporter of HfH myself, I can't get worked up over this. I got grief for telling a colleague who "nominated" me for that moronic Ice bucket thingy to knob off!
    Well said.

I can't stand any attempts at imposing organised groupthink.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ed Miliband can apologise all he likes, it wont make up for the fact that he is not up to the job. Cant even kiss his wife properly...... jeeez... He is just a dork, plain and simple, everything one sees, time after time, says the same thing. He is not up to the job of LOTO never mind PM.

The scary thing is that he might become PM..
  • Options
    Dai Havard (Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney) announces retirement for 2015. Born in 1950, first elected in 2001....I am not sure how many noticed him in these 13 years
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Scott_P
    This group Scott?

"The Centre for Policy Studies (CPS) is a free-market neoliberal British policy think tank whose goal is to promote coherent and practical public policy, to roll back the state, reform public services, support communities, and challenge threats to Britain’s independence.[1] Although identified as non-partisan, the Centre has strong historical links to the Conservative Party.

It was co-founded by Conservatives Sir Keith Joseph, Alfred Sherman and Margaret Thatcher[2] in 1974 to champion economic liberalism in Britain[1] and has since played a global role in the dissemination of free market economics along monetarist and, what today would be called, neoliberal lines. Its policy proposals are claimed to be based on the principles of individual choice and responsibility. They also assert that they prioritise the concepts of duty, family, liberty, and the rule of law. The CPS has a stated goal of serving as the champion of the small state."
  • Options
    fitalass said:

After the fiasco with the Sun earlier in the summer, surely Ed Miliband and his team should have been prepared for a Sun stunt like this at their Conference and had a plan in place to avoid such a PR disaster?

"Ed Miliband has apologised for any offence caused after he posed with a copy of the Sun newspaper.

The Labour leader was pictured holding a special edition of the paper which was sent to millions of homes free to mark the start of the World Cup.

Labour MPs have criticised their leader for associating himself with the paper, which has long been criticised for its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster.

Groups representing victims and survivors of the 1989 tragedy expressed anger at Mr Miliband's actions, one describing them as an "absolute disgrace"."

Scott_P said:

So what do you suggest he did today then?

If this is a "stunt" by the Sun as you say, it's a pretty sick one, given it is for a charity for injured soldiers
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

That's not the point really Yes he has the right to do whatever he wants within the law but it will seem churlish to many not involving himself in this campaign because of concerns about what some of his party members think. It's also rather dumb (as much of his attitudes to the News International Group have been) because Hfh is a popular and uncontentious issue and as the last election proved the Sun is still probably the most influential paper there is particularly amongst Labour's core working class vote and whilst it can't win elections anymore it can still go along way to influencing the outcome in marginal seats.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

In matches with a big fav, ht draw/full time fav is often value... But how often has it been 0-0 at ht and end up 7-0 ????

Wasn't there a Spurs match, that was nil nil at half time and ended 9-1 to Spurs.

Edit: Gah, it was 1 nil to Spurs at half time, and finished 9-1 to Spurs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8365091.stm
    I backed jermaine Defoe first goalscorer that day

I backed Falcao first goalscorer this day

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/atlético-madrid-vs-deportivo-la-coruña/1323089/report

the previous day I had forgotten to put on £100 at 66/1 Ibisevic to score a hat trick for Stuttgart because I had such a bad hangover... Of course it copped... A bad birthday weekend
    I always lose money in matches involving Wigan.
    Wigan were top of my list of teams never to get involved with, City were the same until the money turned up.

Currently Southampton are not to be trusted.
    My bogey side at the moment are Arsenal.
    your bogey side, try being me!!!!
  • Options

Did anyone read Richard Nabavi's feeble attempt to defend this government's record on Rotherham this morning ?

Posting multiple links to different versions of the same things in an attempt to make it look like they had done something.

No matter how many times you link to the same thing it doesn't help if it lacks all substance.

I was looking forward to your apology, but you seem to have to have gone completely bonkers on the subject. Frankly, you sound absolutely mad on this. Why on earth on you picking on Baroness Warsi in particular? I'm not particularly a fan of hers, but if you'd actually bothered to look at the links I'd posted, you'd find that she was one of the very few politicians who were sounding warnings early on.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Doubts were growing yesterday over Labour’s mansion tax as experts warned that the plan was ill-conceived and based on “guesswork”.

Tim Knox , director of the Centre for Policy Studies think-tank, said: “The mansion tax plays very well with the Labour party and wider public sense of ‘them and us’, but it’s quite clear it’s not a real policy. A real policy has proper numbers, real methodology and a real impact assessment. This has none of them.”

He warned that the tax could be “incredibly damaging” to London and its place in the global economy. “It’s hard to think of something that raises such an insignificant amount of money which could cause such a significant amount of damage.”

Tory think tank attacks Labour policy.

In other news, ScottP spams PB.
  • Options

isam said:

UKIP - 43%
    CON - 16%
    LAB - 12%
    LDEM - 4%
    (DK) - 25%

ELBOW shows a 1.3% drop in UKIP support between 14th and 21st September.
    Never mind
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Er, remind me when they put "Howard hates HfH" on their cover? I would have said the same had they done so. Get a grip.
    Of course you would........
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Bobajob.. and what are you doing..????. Funnily enough, Scott P can post as many comments as he likes just as you can in response..
  • Options

isam said:

UKIP - 43%
    CON - 16%
    LAB - 12%
    LDEM - 4%
    (DK) - 25%

UKIP leads across all social classes, and all age groups on that issue.

p.11 of the PDF
    http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/ITV_News_Index_24th_September_2014.pdf
    Incredible that the party that got 3% in the last election can have such a lead on any issue
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

“For the 48 hours around David Cameron’s announcement on English votes, it was panic. Every option was considered. We were going to do English votes for English laws, an English parliament, and then we weren’t. It was like a democratic audit seminar.”

There is a worry that the past fortnight has been a foretaste of the election. “What you saw was what you will see in the short campaign,” said one.

Several sources said the real problem was the quality of many of the people around the leader. “I have never ever seen anything as dysfunctional. We make a decision. Then it’s reversed . . . It’s just the most chaotic organisation.”

Their collective eight-month job interview for Downing Street has begun.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4217190.ece

Actually I forgot back in the day when Young Dave was campaigning for the Tory leadership he proposed an English Parliament well until Uncle Ken (Clarke) called him a xenophobe and he seemed to drop it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2014

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

That's not the point really Yes he has the right to do whatever he wants within the law but it will seem churlish to many not involving himself in this campaign because of concerns about what some of his party members think. It's also rather dumb (as much of his attitudes to the News International Group have been) because Hfh is a popular and uncontentious issue and as the last election proved the Sun is still probably the most influential paper there is particularly amongst Labour's core working class vote and whilst it can't win elections anymore it can still go along way to influencing the outcome in marginal seats.
    This sort of photo opportunity, or the Ice bucket challenge are the modern politicians equivalent of baby kissing. Pointless but nessecary.

It is another example of how shambolic Eds media team is.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited September 2014

isam said:

isam said:

In matches with a big fav, ht draw/full time fav is often value... But how often has it been 0-0 at ht and end up 7-0 ????

Wasn't there a Spurs match, that was nil nil at half time and ended 9-1 to Spurs.

Edit: Gah, it was 1 nil to Spurs at half time, and finished 9-1 to Spurs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8365091.stm
    I backed jermaine Defoe first goalscorer that day

I backed Falcao first goalscorer this day

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/atlético-madrid-vs-deportivo-la-coruña/1323089/report

the previous day I had forgotten to put on £100 at 66/1 Ibisevic to score a hat trick for Stuttgart because I had such a bad hangover... Of course it copped... A bad birthday weekend
    I always lose money in matches involving Wigan.
    Wigan were top of my list of teams never to get involved with, City were the same until the money turned up.

Currently Southampton are not to be trusted.
    My bogey side at the moment are Arsenal.
    your bogey side, try being me!!!!
    My bogey betting side.

My bogey side on the pitch is of course Crystal Palace.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's actually a Lib Dem policy but never mind the semantics, please explain how it will be implemented, how much it will cost and the approximate net figure it will raise.

While you are about it can you explain what equal rights for the self employed means please.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

The point is, that there is no point to this. It's X Factor politics, and if we've really sunk so low that Milliband not doing The Sun's bidding is important, we're in trouble.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

Taxing rich people in central London is popular.

There is very limited sympathy for foreign oligarchs, foreign bankers and foreign footballers.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Scott_P said:

While you are about it can you explain what equal rights for the self employed means please.

It means they're going to get clobbered for extra tax.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Hehe brilliant Sun cover!

You need to learn not to mess with the media. And you definitely need to learn not to mess with Help for Heroes. Well, not if you want to stand any chance of being PM.

He shares characteristics with another Ed: Miliband is the Ed Wood of politics.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It means they're going to get clobbered for extra tax.

So I have to pay extra tax to enjoy the same rights as employees even though I can only claim those rights from myself?

Another vote winner, well done Ed.
  • Options
    @audreyanne
    "You need to learn not to mess with the media"

Indeed not, politicians would be well advised to remember who their masters are.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

There is very limited sympathy for foreign oligarchs, foreign bankers and foreign footballers.

Not true! Foreign footballers are very popular with their teams supporters.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

The point is, that there is no point to this. It's X Factor politics, and if we've really sunk so low that Milliband not doing The Sun's bidding is important, we're in trouble.
    They've been playing X Factor politics for a decade or more from what I recall. We've been in trouble for quite a long time now....
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

Taxing the rich has paid dividends for Hollande in France, hasn't it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

Not true! Foreign footballers are very popular with their teams supporters.

Torres?
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk
    But hated by the supporters of every other team (except during transfer windows)?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

They've been playing X Factor politics for a decade or more from what I recall. We've been in trouble for quite a long time now....
    Yes, you're right on that. Maybe it's time to call a halt? I think we deserve better.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Oh for goodness sake stop being such a pompous arse. The media matter and anyone who goes into politics is far from noble. They know the score and don't start trying to make out that somehow Miliband takes some moral high ground. The man's a dangerous snake who did a massive amount of wheeling and dealing with the unions to get the top job ahead of his brother.

Politics isn't some rarified Oxbridge debating society it's nitty gritty about what matters to normal people and if you do something as stupid as not go along with the Help for Heroes when you're trying to be PM you deserve a fucking good kicking.
  • Options

You need to learn not to mess with the media. And you definitely need to learn not to mess with Help for Heroes. Well, not if you want to stand any chance of being PM.

A moronic post. Truly cretinous.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott, let me explain:

The footballers won't pay anymore tax. What will happen is their agent will strong arm the club to pay them more to cover any tax increases and then the club will recoup the extra money by putting up ticket and merchandise prices amongst other things. Eventually it will be the ordinary supporter on the streets who will pay.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited September 2014
    You didn't think the Sun Editorial team were going to just forget about Ed Miliband's very public apology for posing with a copy of their newspaper? And in asking that question of me, you missed the entire point of my post. Why aren't you directing that question at Ed Miliband's team of SPADS who get paid handsomely to avoid these PR disasters?

David Cameron has just been caught bang to rights after being recorded indiscreetly discussing the Queen's reaction to the Indy Referendum result. His apology has made the front page of tomorrow's Daily Mail - Forgive me, your majesty: Cameron's humbling apology after boasting that Queen 'purred down the phone' to him over Scots vote

"David Cameron issued a humbling apology to the Queen last night for letting slip her ecstatic reaction to the Scottish referendum result.

The Prime Minister said he was ‘very embarrassed’ and ‘extremely sorry’ to have revealed the Queen’s private views during a conversation he did not know was being picked up by microphones.

His public apology to the monarch is thought to be without precedent for a serving premier. He said he would be following it up with a personal phone call."

fitalass said:

Scott_P said:

So what do you suggest he did today then?

If this is a "stunt" by the Sun as you say, it's a pretty sick one, given it is for a charity for injured soldiers
  • Options

Rattled are we
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

How low can politics go?

Pathetic.
    Of course you would........
    Common decency transcends politics.

You clearly weren't around when I was on here defending Maria Miller from the frothing pitchfork wavers.
  • Options

'Bob' you've vainly attempted all day to prop up Miliband and in some ways I'm feeling rather warm towards you. Bereft of content you're like a nebula whose star long since burnt out but who leaves a distant glow: a reliquary of something that once had a place and purpose.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oh crap,

Yes, you're right on that. Maybe it's time to call a halt? I think we deserve better.

If people didn't want it they wouldn't buy the Sun and those that don't? What right have they to stop others buying their paper of choice?
This discussion has been closed.