Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair sees £2m of matched IndyRef bets in just 36 hours a

Comments

• Options
    The Pistorius trial has been perfect evidence of how dreadful it would be if we let cameras into British courts.

Saturation coverage on news channels, most people won't see enough to get any real sense of proceedings, and the major news broadcasts (at 10, say) will put it together into a small summary of video which may or may not give a fair reflection of how things have gone.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

They won't be buying from John Lewis

You can't buy turnips at John Lewis, Malky
    turnips. By the time the horror that is independence is played out they will be dreaming of turnips...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,088
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I wish this judge would get an effing move on.

Imagine how long this must feel for Mr Pistorius. Like a chinese water torture !
    He should have used the defence "who hasn't got pissed on Valentine's Day and shot his load all over his girlfriend" defence.

He'd have been found not guilty months ago

For someone who gets uppity themselves over certain things you can be extremely insensitive and crude, it's not a good trait.

Why joke over someone's death? An innocent person was killed, someone's daughter, and you make crude jokes about it?
    I don't get uppity.

Anyone who knows me, knows my sense of humour is well, pretty wrong.

I'm sure you'll post a video of Enoch Powell predicting in the 60s that Pistorius would shoot his girlfriend.

I'm glad I don't know you, particularly as you think laughing about someone's murder while making crude sexual comments about her is acceptable

I suppose she was only white trash to you
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: ..So RBS havent said publicly or to staff there will be "no impact" on jobs. Fwiw, typically moves like this mean a few hundred not 1000s..

Those just in too

James Cook ‏@BBCJamesCook · 53 mins
    RBS chief exec to staff: moving registered office post-independence “is not an intention to move operations or jobs.” #indyref #RBS

James Cook ‏@BBCJamesCook · 54 mins
    RBS chief exec Ross McEwan to staff: re-domiciling would be a “technical procedure” re location of “registered head office.” #indyref
    It might not move operations or jobs but it would sure move tax.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I see Comical Ally is coming out with some classic lines today. Goodness knows how he'll spin the vote - see you next Thursday stuff.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    A kills C instead of B?

How many years does A get?

I love Maths puzzles
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm lovin' this - I haven't laughed so much in ages. This is so absurd way back when SIndy was first being debated here. That it hasn't moved on much since just makes it even more bizarre and comical.

This is an even more facile argument. Lenders will think and do as we believe they will. End of.

Q: “But if Scotland didn’t accept any of the UK’s national debt, wouldn’t it be punished by the international markets? Why would anyone lend Scotland money?”

A: Because it’s not Scotland’s debt. Scotland had no say over it being taken out - it’s the UK government’s debt, the UK decided where to spend it and the UK has already accepted full liability for it. If you’re living in a rented flat and the landlord defaults on his mortgage, YOU don’t get a bad credit rating.

Lenders don’t care in the least about the UK’s internal political wrangles - they lend based on whether they think they’ll get paid back or not, and Scotland is a wealthy country with plenty of security for any debt it took out. It would be a very low risk for any lender.

But as we explored in Chapter 2, an independent Scotland would be likely to need far less lending anyway, so even if it had to pay slightly higher interest on its borrowing it could afford to do so.

• Options

A kills C instead of B?

I love Maths puzzles

Answer in about 4 hrs at this rate
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Lennon said:

welshowl said:

I actually think that whereas constitutional reform has always languished down the bottom of the list of voter concerns, that is no longer the case now. 5m Scots have been electrified by the current debate, and England seems to have woken from its slumbers.

If it's a No, we're headed for a federal UK, I think there's no doubt about it, because that's the only logical destination on the current direction of travel (that all 3 parties are now signed up to, and which the Nats in Scotland and Wales ultimately wanted all along anyway).

Quite how that is going to work though with the possibility of a UK-wide administration setting overall policies which are at odds with whatever force emerges in England-alone, I don't know!

And aside from places like Cornwall and Yorkshire, I can't imagine there being too much enthusiasm for splitting England up into federal units. We also should remember John Prescott failed spectacularly at introducing regional assemblies, although granted time has moved on now and this was before the current Scottish developments...
    Even if you did carve England up is the ( virtually permanently Tory with a UKIP opposition?) SE Region Parliament going to be able to vary income tax in the same way that Scotland can? And what happens when the push taxes down (as they will)? We could have tax completion between different parts of the island of Great Britain. It's Balkanisation writ small if we are not very careful.
    The trouble with a federation that splits out London is that London votes Labour. So you'd have the acute problem that the cash generator of the UK economy would potentially be subjected to envy taxes voted for by people who couldn't care less if this does a Francois Hollande to London, because as a class they themselves are always takers rather than payers of tax. If this killed the City they'd just demand that someone else they envy be taxed instead.
    It's a bit too simplistic to say 'London votes Labour' - London has voted for Boris twice!
    Truer to say London leans Labour. It has 28 Conservative MPs, hundreds of Conservative councillors, and the Conservatives and UKIP can expect to win c. 40% of the vote between them, next year.
    But the right wing split in London is very much more pro-European than in the rest of the UK
    That's certainly true. Someone like Mark Field is probably the archetypal representative of their viewpoint.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: ..So RBS havent said publicly or to staff there will be "no impact" on jobs. Fwiw, typically moves like this mean a few hundred not 1000s..

Scott has got a new pal, since he found twitter he has not be a sad lonely creep ever again, he has lots of friends to follow.
  • Options

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Imagine how long this must feel for Mr Pistorius. Like a chinese water torture !
    He should have used the defence "who hasn't got pissed on Valentine's Day and shot his load all over his girlfriend" defence.

For someone who gets uppity themselves over certain things you can be extremely insensitive and crude, it's not a good trait.

Why joke over someone's death? An innocent person was killed, someone's daughter, and you make crude jokes about it?
    I don't get uppity.

I'm sure you'll post a video of Enoch Powell predicting in the 60s that Pistorius would shoot his girlfriend.

TSE, it was a sick joke even by your standards
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034

A kills C instead of B?

I love Maths puzzles

15 ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Oh dear.

Eck now bleating that the RBS news he said was "scaremongering" and "not going to happen" was "market sensitive information"

Toys ⊄ Pram
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Lennon said:

welshowl said:

I actually think that whereas constitutional reform has always languished down the bottom of the list of voter concerns, that is no longer the case now. 5m Scots have been electrified by the current debate, and England seems to have woken from its slumbers.

If it's a No, we're headed for a federal UK, I think there's no doubt about it, because that's the only logical destination on the current direction of travel (that all 3 parties are now signed up to, and which the Nats in Scotland and Wales ultimately wanted all along anyway).

Quite how that is going to work though with the possibility of a UK-wide administration setting overall policies which are at odds with whatever force emerges in England-alone, I don't know!

And aside from places like Cornwall and Yorkshire, I can't imagine there being too much enthusiasm for splitting England up into federal units. We also should remember John Prescott failed spectacularly at introducing regional assemblies, although granted time has moved on now and this was before the current Scottish developments...
    Even if you did carve England up is the ( virtually permanently Tory with a UKIP opposition?) SE Region Parliament going to be able to vary income tax in the same way that Scotland can? And what happens when the push taxes down (as they will)? We could have tax completion between different parts of the island of Great Britain. It's Balkanisation writ small if we are not very careful.
    The trouble with a federation that splits out London is that London votes Labour. So you'd have the acute problem that the cash generator of the UK economy would potentially be subjected to envy taxes voted for by people who couldn't care less if this does a Francois Hollande to London, because as a class they themselves are always takers rather than payers of tax. If this killed the City they'd just demand that someone else they envy be taxed instead.
    It's a bit too simplistic to say 'London votes Labour' - London has voted for Boris twice!
    Truer to say London leans Labour. It has 28 Conservative MPs, hundreds of Conservative councillors, and the Conservatives and UKIP can expect to win c. 40% of the vote between them, next year.
    But the right wing split in London is very much more pro-European than in the rest of the UK
    Citation please?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Eck now bleating that the RBS news he said was "scaremongering" and "not going to happen" was "market sensitive information"

Toys ⊄ Pram

"Market sensitive information"?

What's his point by that? That companies shouldn't make announcements that move share prices? Bizarre.
  • Options
    I'm going to need to check the small print with Paddy Power to see if I've won my £2.49 I reckon.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Lennon said:

welshowl said:

That's certainly true. Someone like Mark Field is probably the archetypal representative of their viewpoint.

Even more reason to bring in some eurosceptic parts of the home counties...
  • Options
    Plato said:

Turnip.

I just had a quick flick through that Wee Blue Book. It's hilarious. Full of unsubstantiated 'facts', reverse scaremongering and wishful thinking.

Some of it doesn't even try to put a coherent counter argument. My favourite one was on borders if Scotland joins Schengen and takes out a different immigration policy: it doesn't claim that this wouldn't happen, just that it's be too much hassle to build and police a border so the English wouldn't bother.

I prefer "fanny features".
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    malcolmg said:

Are you right in the head.

That is a bit rich coming from you Malcolm. You come on here and do little other than post insult-heavy invective at people - and for what reason?

Do you imagine that by insulting people you will bring them around to your viewpoint? Or do you just get a kick out of being rude?

I may blether on about shoes and such, but at least I do not suffer from social Tourettes.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't get uppity.

I'm glad I don't know you, particularly as you think laughing about someone's murder while making crude sexual comments about her is acceptable

Again wrong, I've made jokes at the expense of all colours and creeds.
  • Options
    40% of Londoners support withdrawal from the EU, so it's not that Europhile.
  • Options
    Didn't intend to kill.

Thats why only fired four shots!!!
  • Options
    "Mr Salmond says the people of Scotland will endorse a Yes vote because they know they can govern better than Westminster.
    Positive engagement rather than public schoolboy politics is the way to boost European Union relations, he adds."

Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every byway, til you find your...continued on page 94.
  • Options
    Oscar looks like he is going to crack !
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Interesting to run through the figures here, and how these figures can change from instant response within a few days.

With the excitement and panic over IndyRef polls in the last few days it's foolish to speculate even on a 24 hour period when things are as febrile as they are now. I'd be interested on the gains and losses in betting by PBers these last 5 days.

Ipsos MORI ‏@IpsosMORI 55m
    From our archives: How did Britons react to #911 one week later? http://bit.ly/1lVOrYC #911anniversary
    Expand
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I really do wish there was a Downfall video for this.

My favourite remains Gordon and the shock loss of Glasgow East

It used unfamiliar footage very amusingly. https://youtube.com/watch?v=iMi776jah1w
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Toys ⊄ Pram

• Options
    @Plato there is at least one for Alex Salmond's Downfall - made 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Did OP act as the so-called 'reasonable person' would have?

No.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Socrates said:

Scott_P said:

Oh dear.

Toys ⊄ Pram

"Market sensitive information"?

What's his point by that? That companies shouldn't make announcements that move share prices? Bizarre.
    He'll threaten them with 'nationalisation' next. Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oscar looks like he is going to crack !

You will not like him when he is angry
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@Plato there is at least one for Alex Salmond's Downfall - made 2 weeks ago.

Super - will have a looksee
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

Lennon said:

welshowl said:

>

Even more reason to bring in some eurosceptic parts of the home counties...
    I think the boundaries of Bromley, Hillingdon, and Croydon already stretch some distance beyond what people would really consider to be London. Hertsmere and Brroxbourne would probably be a natural fit with Barnet and Enfield respectively. Staines and Ashford would naturally fit into London.

• Options
    @BBCNormanS: Alex Salmond says "metropolitan media" recycling old news over Standard Life and others moving HQ #indyref

The company made a statement. Yesterday.

Is he having a breakdown live on stage?
  • Options
    ISam - you are seemingly obsessed and spend most of your time on here accusing posters of being other posters. Hugh is Tim etc where does it end? Who cares? It's boring.

@Watcher - I have genuinely no idea who you are talking about. I have never even read a post from Reggie, never mind masqueraded as him.
  • Options
    The case is utterly compelling.
  • Options
    It's a conspiracy!!!!

@BBCNormanS: Alex Salmond mocks BBCs "impartial role" in referendum campaign #indyref
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't get uppity.

So did Bernard Manning, what do you make of him?

Whichever colour or creed Reena was you should be ashamed to make fun of her death and be so crude about her
  • Options
    OMG This summing up is incredible.

Reminds me of OJ Simpson trial.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Alex Salmond says "metropolitan media" recycling old news over Standard Life and others moving HQ #indyref

The statement is identical to the one it made in it's annual report months ago.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    malcolmg said:

welshowl said:

Yorkcity said:

Bingley in West Yorkshire lost the HQ building for Bradford and Bingley bank in 2008 during the banking crisis, it is now a sainsbury`s many lost their jobs

So without a currency union a few HQ`s will move, especially to be risk averse against another crisis.
    However there will be a deal,if there is a yes vote, whatever they say, to avoid another crisis.

Err no. The financial sector is about more than banking. There is a huge pension industry in Scotland which has about 90+% of its business on the other side of the border, given pensions are such a minefield of legislation I really can't see this staying where it is so the office jobs go too.

This is what I was pointing out last night in microcosm. Our company pension funds and actuarial services are both based in Edinburgh and we will have to pull the plug and move them (unless they are moved for us as Std Life is of course saying it will) as we simply cannot have such complex legal and regulatory set ups based in a foreign country. End of. No debate. An Irish actuary with the world's greatest track record and exemplary qualifications could offer their services to us for next to nothing and we would still say no if they were based in Dublin, precisely because we need the reassurance of being in the same ongoing legal framework as the pensions will be paid in. It's not "scaremongering", it's not "bullying", it's the truth and ordinary people's future's rely on it.
    Stick your £20 up your erchie you wittering dimwit
    It's not £20. It's about £21million.
  • Options
    Sweet Jesus I think he is going to get off.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @bigjohnowls
    One of the Met police managed to shoot an unarmed man (innocent) six times with single action revolver, then beat him over the head with the butt of the gun.
    Walked into court, said he panicked, walked out of court not guilty.
    A single action revolver requires the hammer to be cocked and the trigger pulled in a precise fashion, the police were armed with them because of this fact.
  • Options
    The last few days have been disastrous for Yes. The 'Financial Flight' narrative has completely taken hold. The SNP have been blind sided. Salmond must counter the growing impression of a post-independence Scotland being a fiscal wasteland. If not the dream is in tatters.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't get uppity.

Whichever colour or creed Reena was you should be ashamed to make fun of her death and be so crude about her
    From the poster who used the phrase white trash in relation to me and the obvious insinuation, I'll let you climb on the outrage bus all on your own.
  • Options
    If ever i go to South Africa definitely not going for a dump
  • Options

The last few days have been disastrous for Yes. The 'Financial Flight' narrative has completely taken hold. The SNP have been blind sided. Salmond must counter the growing impression of a post-independence Scotland being a fiscal wasteland. If not the dream is in tatters.

No, no not at all...

@BBCNormanS: Criy of "biased BBC" when Alex Salmond challenged by colleague @bbcnickrobinson over RBS and John Lewis #indyref
  • Options
    Is now really the time to take a lunch break ?!

Surely everyone would have a far better lunch if the verdict was known - I can't imagine Reeva Steenkamp's family is going to eat well at all.
  • Options
    This is hilarious.

Keep going!
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    Does make you wonder if the financial flight could also happen under Devo-Max
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @MirrorJames: Salmond accused Robinson of "heckling" for asking him to answer the question. Can't stand being questioned.

Kim Jong Eck will only take questions from approved sources. Heckling (asking for an answer to an unapproved question) is disrespect, and will be punished...
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't get uppity.

From the poster who used the phrase white trash in relation to me and the obvious insinuation, I'll let you climb on the outrage bus all on your own.
    Standards are standards you should stop worrying about me and just apologise for making a horrendous comment
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

From the start, I've thought he'll be found guilty of some of the minor offences, basically around misuse/negligent use of a firearm.
    ... said:

From our archives: How did Britons react to #911 one week later? http://bit.ly/1lVOrYC #911anniversary

Q12 worries me. The Cold War. 3 minutes warning. And things are LESS safe ...
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    O/T

I really hope there isn't an EU referendum, as much as I want the Tories to win the next election. I want to see Britain leave the EU, but not on any of the models proposed by the BOO campaign; not because I fear the ceding of national sovereignty, not the imposition of the Euro nor anything to do with Human Rights. I simply think as a decision making body it is far too slow to respond to changing conditions and lacks a vision for Europe's place in the world. Increasingly it simply looks like the EU is doing things badly. So I would be greatly torn in the event of a referendum.

First one to say "don't worry, it won't happen" loses.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Pulpstar
    Human feelings are not a concern when lawyers and judges egos are at stake.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Is now really the time to take a lunch break ?!

Surely everyone would have a far better lunch if the verdict was known - I can't imagine Reeva Steenkamp's family is going to eat well at all.

Some people on here are making jokes about killing and cumming over their daughter while they wait for the verdict... Nice
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If we get an English Parliament with the same powers as a DevoMax Scotland we then have the very real problem of what the UK government is for other than foreign policy and defence. At that point it seems a little bit wasteful to have all those MPs sat at Westminster twiddling their thumbs until the next crisis blows up... And a UK PM would essentially be stripped of any authority on the domestic stage, being someone we wheel out occasionally for EU summits (assuming we stay in) and the odd photo op with the US President.

If Scotland really does get significant new powers in the tax and spend sphere, rather than DevoMax doesn't this really become CurrencyUnionPlus? Not sure why Salmonds really that bothered about independence now, looks like we'll gift him what he wants if everyone votes no...

Foreign policy and defence are important however. Add in immigration, justice, and overall economic policy, and there's still a very big role for Parliament. But, probably with fewer MPs,

Alternatively, we devolve more power to the Counties. Or have a rule that only English MPs may vote on issues that affect England.

I'd add the UK PM has little enough time on the domestic stage as it is. But he/she would still need to liaise with the domestic policies of the home nations and take an interest. I'd also have no problem with fewer part time UK MPs, or UK MPs spending more time on the detail of major international, global and strategic issues like these - and less about acting as puffed up social workers.
  • Options
    I still occasionally watch the old Public Info films about what to do in the event of a nuclear attack. They were so scarily matter of fact.

Pulpstar said:

From the start, I've thought he'll be found guilty of some of the minor offences, basically around misuse/negligent use of a firearm.
    ... said:

• Options
    edited September 2014

Pulpstar said:

... said:

Short memories.

Living a couple of miles from a first strike target that would have been on the receiving end of 10 Megatons of canned sunshine isn't something that I'll forget personally.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Standard Life, no more. RBS, no more. BoS, no more. Clydesdale, no more.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: UK govt can't stop Scotland using the pound - @AlexSalmond #indyref

Eck has cleverly solved the problem of Scottish banks printing pound notes. There will be no Scottish banks...
  • Options

• Options

Plato said:

Turnip.

I just had a quick flick through that Wee Blue Book. It's hilarious. Full of unsubstantiated 'facts', reverse scaremongering and wishful thinking.

Some of it doesn't even try to put a coherent counter argument. My favourite one was on borders if Scotland joins Schengen and takes out a different immigration policy: it doesn't claim that this wouldn't happen, just that it's be too much hassle to build and police a border so the English wouldn't bother.

Casino that is the upmarket one , turnips are for the sheeple
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar
    Human feelings are not a concern when lawyers and judges egos are at stake.

I think the judge has missed seeing the woods for all the trees.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Turnip head cannot read , his limit is cutting and pasting tweets.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I still occasionally watch the old Public Info films about what to do in the event of a nuclear attack. They were so scarily matter of fact.

Pulpstar said:

... said:

I found a lot of public information films terrifying, as a boy. One I saw was about all the terrible things that could happen to children when they mucked about on farms. One boy stole a tractor which toppled over on him; another slowly drowned in a cess pit.

• Options
    @Plato - it's a hoot all round!

"Get the facts" = get the opinions and the answers you want to hear
  • Options

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Haha that IS funny!
  • Options

ISam - you are seemingly obsessed and spend most of your time on here accusing posters of being other posters. Hugh is Tim etc where does it end? Who cares? It's boring.

@Watcher - I have genuinely no idea who you are talking about. I have never even read a post from Reggie, never mind masqueraded as him.

Bob, Watcher is as barking as Scott, don't try to fathom his dribbling
  • Options
    @Plato
    Did you watch "When the Wind Blows"? So scary the government tried to suppress it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Wind_Blows_(1986_film)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Simpletons are easily pleased
  • Options
    Plato said:

This is hilarious.

Keep going!

Probably not so funny if you are Scottish voter.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Plato said:

This is hilarious.

Keep going!

Probably not so funny if you are Scottish voter.
    Its funny reading the silly mare's wittering, as mad as a sack of frogs.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: If Salmond hadn't lost the plot before he has now. Unstatesmanlike wittering about leak inquiries and "BBC bias"
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Plato
    Did you watch "When the Wind Blows"? So scary the government tried to suppress it.

The scariest film I saw at the time was The War Game.
  • Options
    Quite interesting reading pb.com today. Less than 36 hours ago we were all collectively hyperventilating and thinking it was all over: Scotland was lost.

Today, we're more confident, relaxed and resorting to jokes once more. As well as back to pointing out that just one poll out of dozens has YES ever so slightly ahead, so what we were ever worried about?

Just goes to show how high the stakes are, I guess.

This is about more than betting and money - this time. And it's by no means over yet.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: If Salmond hadn't lost the plot before he has now. Unstatesmanlike wittering about leak inquiries and "BBC bias"

And there's still a week to go.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

To be fair to Salmond, if blaming BBC bias disqualified anyone from office, we'd have no MPs and precious few pb posters.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Simpletons are easily pleased
    Come on Malcolm , even you must have smirked/grimaced just a tad,.
  • Options
    Oscar has got very, very lucky. If I am ever up on a murder charge in South Africa -unlikely, but who can say for sure? - I want this judge.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Plato said:

Turnip.

Nooooo!! Please don't deny me my fanny!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Eckurning point.
  • Options
    Hague not ruling out delaying GE. Now we really are talking possible constitutional crisis.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Sean_F
    Scariest film I saw was Project Zircon, not because of the special branch taking our photographs (watching it was covered under the official secrets act).
    But it was my first realization of just how bad our system of government is.
    Hiding stuff from the British Public when all the rest of the world had known about it for years.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zircon_(satellite)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Anyone know if Andy Burnham is one of the 100 Labour MPs being shunted up north in a sealed train to start the Labour revolution? Would be fascinating to hear his views on the NHS.

Me too. Not just on privatization and TTIp, but also on doing things differently in the NHS at all - which hrather misses the point of devolution (his party's policy):

http://wingsoverscotland.com/quoted-for-proof/

not to mention driving on the right ...

“I would feel really genuinely sad if Scotland votes for independence, not just for our own self-interest and in the extra difficulty we would face getting a Labour government in England but I also don’t want to drive up the M6 and get my passport out or have to drive on the right when I want to drive on the left.” (This is NOT an April Fool. I checked.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10648238/Labour-oppose-Scottish-independence-because-they-fear-losing-power-in-Westminster.html
    I've heard a couple of 'yes' supporters mention TTIp -don't quite understand how that's an argument for you? We've just heard there will definitely be no EU referendum north of the border if Scotland goes Indy, and as a small member state, that will have to make concessions to get back in, there will quite obviously be no exemption for Scotland from this. So surely it undermines your entire argument about the Scottish NHS?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Smarmeron said:

@Plato

The scariest film I saw at the time was The War Game.
    Threads. Terrifying.

The Day After is pretty powerful too.
  • Options

No I don't, I just don't understand why you keep coming and going under different names, it's weird
  • Options
    Highly respect Constitution Unit on implications of 'Yes' for GE:

http://constitution-unit.com/2014/02/19/scottish-independence-and-the-uk-general-election/
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,545
    edited September 2014
    Salmond going off on a rant at the BBC sounded a bit desperate.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited September 2014

Scott_P said:

Eckurning point.

Accusations of BBC bias are hilarious given that the whole Yes upturn was kick started by the second, BBC Indy debate hosted by a feeble presenter who let Salmond get away with chuntering through everything Darling said and was populated by a pro Indy audience.
  • Options
    Russian regional governor sacked for allowing anti-war protest:

http://www.kyivpost.com/multimedia/video-2/ukraine-today-putin-sacks-governor-for-rally-against-russian-invasion-of-ukraine-video-364125.html

It's almost like the whole "we're only supporting democracy" thing is a complete load of bullshit.
  • Options

Quite interesting reading pb.com today. Less than 36 hours ago we were all collectively hyperventilating and thinking it was all over: Scotland was lost.

Today, we're more confident, relaxed and resorting to jokes once more. As well as back to pointing out that just one poll out of dozens has YES ever so slightly ahead, so what we were ever worried about?

Just goes to show how high the stakes are, I guess.

This is about more than betting and money - this time. And it's by no means over yet.

Seems odd to me that yes is back at 5 on Betfair now having had three polls that were brilliant, very good and average
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

Oscar has got very, very lucky. If I am ever up on a murder charge in South Africa -unlikely, but who can say for sure? - I want this judge.

The likely outcome is culpable homicide, which I presume is the same as manslaughter, so a jail sentence is quite likely I would have thought.

I think the key point was that the gun shot trajectory was downwards in one direction and if there was an intention to murder the person on the other side of the closed door, the shots would have been in different directions. The Judge said that the prosecution had not proved their case that it was murder.
  • Options

Hague not ruling out delaying GE. Now we really are talking possible constitutional crisis.

Could be interesting.. I believe the consent of the House of Lords is needed (the Parliament Act does not apply).
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Plato said:

Turnip.

Nooooo!! Please don't deny me my fanny!
    Careful. The kind malcolm goes near are full of piss and wind.
  • Options
    How long is lunch in the trial normally ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2014
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

So, as far as I can tell Survation has 16-24 year olds the opposite of all the other polling companies - so going very heavily No, whilst others have the group split or going heavily Yes. They also have Glasgow as going heavily No which I think isn't in keeping with the other companies either.

That seems to be the difference between their result and everyone else as best as I can tell from 1 table.

Generally speaking, one shouldn't worry to much about sub-samples. All this week's polls are consistent with No having a small lead.

They may have all got the same answer but the working out is fascinating

As the C4 tweet shows TNS and YouGov has 16-24's massively in favour of Yes, Survation has them massively against
    twitter.com/Channel4News/status/509682483831402496

At least one of the pollsters is massively wrong
  • Options
    @journodave: #indyref threat level: investigate the BBC
  • Options
    @paddypower: This could swing it:
    (via @sanglesey) http://t.co/uB1Blc3II3
  • Options

Could be interesting.. I believe the consent of the House of Lords is needed (the Parliament Act does not apply).
    I would have thought that they would get consent from HoL, but who knows. Chaos that's for sure. What's really interesting is I don't think Salmond's target date of March 2016 is realistic, so how long are they going to delay GE for? One year, two years?
  • Options
    Norm said:

Scott_P said:

Eckurning point.

Accusations of BBC bias are hilarious given that the whole Yes upturn was kick started by the second, BBC Indy debate hosted by a feeble presenter who let Salmond get away with chuntering through everything Darling said and was populated by a pro Indy audience.
    ... And the fact that the BBC (and the other media, admittedly) went into overdrive mode after the YouGov poll, pretty much with the insinuation breakup looked imminent.
This discussion has been closed.