Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair sees £2m of matched IndyRef bets in just 36 hours a

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair sees £2m of matched IndyRef bets in just 36 hours as the polls continue to move up and down

The IndyRef is proving to be one of the biggest UK political betting events of all time with a colossal £2m. being matched on Betfair alone since mid-afternoon on Wednesday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    edited September 2014
    First. Anyway, what effect do people think the bank statements and capital flight are going to make?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Second?
  • Options
    Woo hoo! Bloody nervous about this referendum.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @RobD
    "Woo hoo! Bloody nervous about this referendum. "
    Chill Bro' History teaches us one great truth..... no matter which way we head we are going to get "rodgered".
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    It's Thursday not Friday isn't it?
  • Options
    It had better be Thursday, or I am well above nostril level in the excrement pool.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Chameleon said:

First. Anyway, what effect do people think the bank statements and capital flight are going to make?

I expect a Downfall spoof to appear in which Alex Salmond cannons around the bunker screaming "They're Bluffing!!!"
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Neil Hamilton hoping to be selected as UKIP candidate for Boston & Skegness later today.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@isam
    Was it Pakistanis in North Wales buggering the children in care? Was it a Pakistani that lost the governments files into possible abuse by themselves?
    You are far better than that Isam, you know that Rotheram and several others have Pakistani perpetrators, but it is the buisness and opportunity that lets it happen.
    Ice Cream vans were a favourite kiddie fiddler toy to buy at one time. Should we have blamed it on Italians?

No-one is saying that Pakistanis are entirely to blame for all child abuse everywhere. But in this case, a subculture within the Pakistani community, which looked upon non-Muslim white girls as sluts and easy meat, played a major role in what happened. As did a culture whereby people looked the other way rather than get respected members of the community into trouble. As did a culture where young Pakistani children that were molested would be shamed for their molestation so didn't report it. As did a multicultural liberal mentality that feared investigating/publicising such abuse for fear of damaging community cohesion or giving air time to racists because these men were Pakistani. As did a a fear among police officers and other authority figures that they might get charged with harassment if they followed their suspicions. Whether or not you like, the ethnicity of these men played a major role in this rampant case of child torture and rape. And it is likely that similar dynamics allowed mass child torture and rape elsewhere. Thus we can't shy away from looking at such aspects of the case.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @Socrates
    So, what is the common denominator between ALL abuse cases that were never investigated at the time?
    If we get blinded by one issue, and lose sight of bigger picture, we not only fail the 1400 in Rotherham, we fail ALL the abused children.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    So, what is the common denominator between ALL abuse cases that were never investigated at the time?
    If we get blinded by one issue, and lose sight of bigger picture, we not only fail the 1400 in Rotherham, we fail ALL the abused children.

I'm not getting blinded by one issue. I'm just saying that one issue is an important and critical issue, while you (and plenty of other lefties) seem to be arguing we should entirely ignore the issue because it's not relevant in some other cases. Of course, in other types of child abuse, like that by BBC personalities or Catholic priests, there were another set of issues. The difference is that we've evolved enough as a society to have honest conversations about the issues in those cases, but when it comes to the issue of Pakistani culture playing a role, we feel uncomfortable about a defining aspect of the case so brush it under the carpet. That needs to end.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Neil Hamilton hoping to be selected as UKIP candidate for Boston & Skegness later today.

In fact they've decided to delay the selection until after Clacton. Today was the original scheduled date:

http://www.skegnessstandard.co.uk/news/local/ukip-delays-boston-and-skegness-hustings-to-focus-on-clacton-by-election-1-6279914
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    AndyJS said:

Why would they want to throw away one of their best targets like that?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    "UKIP accuses Labour of 'shoddy politics' over Heywood & Middleton by-election date

“I find it extremely distasteful that they have put party politics above respect of Jim Dobbin,” said Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall.
    “He was a hard working MP who only died at the weekend and the normal protocol is not to call a by-election to until the funeral."

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2014-09-10/ukip-accuses-labour-of-shoddy-politics-over-heywood-middleton-by-election-date/
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    "Woo hoo! Bloody nervous about this referendum. "
    Chill Bro' History teaches us one great truth..... no matter which way we head we are going to get "rodgered".

Possibly true, but all this uncertainty is not good for my nerves!
  • Options
    Well, there's a surprise:

Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Group will move their operations south of the border if Scotland votes for independence next week, it emerged on Wednesday night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11088643/RBS-and-Lloyds-will-leave-Scotland-if-it-votes-for-independence.html

I wonder what else people haven't been "bluffing" about?
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited September 2014
    Remind me, why does the UK want Scotland in the union, exactly?

The UK should be pushing Scotland towards leaving while the going is good. It feels like Westminster's appeasement of nationalists has started the steady march towards full fiscal autonomy for Scotland, something which is hugely advantageous for Scotland but has numerous downsides and very little upside for the UK. Being a country should mean more than acting as a central bank and lender of last resort for a quasi-independent small nation with an oversized banking sector.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Add the Clydesdale bank to that list.

Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds Banking Group will move their operations south of the border if Scotland votes for independence next week, it emerged on Wednesday night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/11088643/RBS-and-Lloyds-will-leave-Scotland-if-it-votes-for-independence.html

• Options
    Morning all

Catching up on last night’s thread, was great to see so many lurkers come in from the cold, may I just add my welcome and hope you continue to post after the 18th.
  • Options

In the event of a YES vote – would the last Bank to leaver Scotland pls turn out the light?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"UKIP accuses Labour of 'shoddy politics' over Heywood & Middleton by-election date

“I find it extremely distasteful that they have put party politics above respect of Jim Dobbin,” said Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall.
    “He was a hard working MP who only died at the weekend and the normal protocol is not to call a by-election to until the funeral."

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2014-09-10/ukip-accuses-labour-of-shoddy-politics-over-heywood-middleton-by-election-date/

I don't know why politicians bother with synthetic indignation like this. Who out there seriously believes they're upset out of sincere respect for Jim Dobbin?
  • Options
    New Golden Rule: "If only one opinion poll has put YES ahead by 18th September, they aren't going to win".
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Rochdale council: flags to be lowered across the borough in memory of Labour MP Jim Dobbin:

twitter.com/RochdaleCouncil/status/508603396979703808
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

New Golden Rule: "If only one opinion poll has put YES ahead by 18th September, they aren't going to win".

Hm, I don't think a particular side has to have a consistent lead in order to win... same argument goes for only 1 out of 50 polls having a Yes lead, that is kinda irrelevant given that most of those polls were a while ago.
  • Options
    SINDY is leading to shares falling in Australia:

THE rising likelihood that Scotland will secede from Britain is ­increasing the uncertainty sur­rounding National Australia Bank, because a yes vote is expected to push bad debt charges higher and to close the door on an imminent sale of its troubled British ­operations.

After a poll at the weekend put the pro-independence vote ahead for the first time this year, Credit Suisse’s Sydney-based analysts told clients the heightened uncertainty pointed to “downside share price risks”.

NAB shares fell 0.51 per cent to $34.66 in a soft broader market. Ahead of the vote on September 18, a YouGov survey found 51 per cent support for independence.

NAB chief Andrew Thorburn last month warned of “significant additional costs and risks” for the bank’s British subsidiary, Clydesdale Bank, if the secession vote succeeded. Clydesdale, founded in Glasgow and bought by NAB in 1987, has about 300 branches in Scotland......

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/scottish-uncertainty-threatens-nabs-clydesdale-sale-hopes/story-e6frg8zx-1227051906360?nk=2bc5c8cec94e068e878f1d745bb646fc
    fitalass said:

Add the Clydesdale bank to that list.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Newer Golden Rule : "Whatever the polls say between now and the 18th it's too close to call"....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AndyJS said:

Rochdale council: flags to be lowered across the borough in memory of Labour MP Jim Dobbin:

twitter.com/RochdaleCouncil/status/508603396979703808

Are they the Hamas flags or the Saltire? I lose track of what is Flag of the Week with Labour councils...
  • Options
    'Patronising' Salmond feels Mumsnet backlash
    First Minister comes off worse in Mumsnet session with Alistair Darling

"If I see the word 'scaremongering' used on more time in response to people's honest and very real worries I will throw a hissy fit my children would be proud of," another user said. "'m so utterly sick of it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/11088278/Patronising-Salmond-feels-Mumsnet-backlash.html
  • Options
    And in other news.....Miliband slightly narrows the "Best PM" gap:

Cameron: 35 (-1)
    Miliband: 21 (+2)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/jq66ag4rzk/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-100914.pdf
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Comical Ally.

Money's not shifting, banks aren't leaving, oil will never run out, there'll be a CU.........

The man's deluded.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benrileysmith/100285940/scotland-decides-8-days-left-salmond-denies-money-is-being-shifted-from-scotland/
  • Options

Comical Ally.

Money's not shifting, banks aren't leaving, oil will never run out, there'll be a CU.........

The man's deluded.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benrileysmith/100285940/scotland-decides-8-days-left-salmond-denies-money-is-being-shifted-from-scotland/

So there you have it – investors aren't pulling hundreds of millions of pounds out of Scotland, as the FT suggested. Any such talk from politicians is scaremongering.

Mumsnet didn't let him get far with his "scaremongering"....
  • Options
    Finally, the penny drops:

Labour voters could break up the Union, admits Ed Miliband
    Comments are an admission that Labour supporters shifting their backing into the Yes camp could result in Scotland leaving the Union after 300 years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11088032/Labour-voters-could-break-up-the-Union-admits-Ed-Miliband.html
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

I assume you just looked at headline as usual, if you actually read it so far it is brass plates only. Arse lickers chasing gongs, you on the list yet or do you polish yours as you decry Scotland.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Yesterday was reality day for the people of Scotland and for Salmond.

The banks, financial services and insurance companies confirmed that they would move a major part of their operations, assets and jobs to rUK and most likely England.

The oil companies confirmed the Wood report of the declining oil availability and rising cost of extraction.

Thus having seen Salmond's economic bubble well and truly pricked, in a week's time will the Scots vote with their hearts or their heads?
  • Options
    From Catalonia to Kurdistan to Quebec, nationalist and separatist movements in Europe and beyond are watching the Scottish independence referendum closely — sometimes more so than Britons themselves, who seem to have only just woken up to the possibility that Scotland might vote next Thursday to bring to an end a 307-year union. A curious collection of left and right, rich and poor, marginal and mainstream, these movements are united in the hope that their shared ambition for more self-determination will get a lift from an independent Scotland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/11/world/europe/separatists-around-the-world-draw-inspiration-from-scotland.html?_r=0
  • Options

"If I see the word 'scaremongering' used on more time in response to people's honest and very real worries I will throw a hissy fit my children would be proud of," another user said. "'m so utterly sick of it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/11088278/Patronising-Salmond-feels-Mumsnet-backlash.html

Pity they had a majority voting for YES, who cares what they think of Salmond.
  • Options

In the event of a YES vote – would the last Bank to leaver Scotland pls turn out the light?
    Pass the sick bucket
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,986
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

I assume you just looked at headline as usual, if you actually read it so far it is brass plates only. Arse lickers chasing gongs, you on the list yet or do you polish yours as you decry Scotland.

Have you spoken to the people responsible for their Yes vote contingency plans to confirm its a plate moving exercise.....

I very much doubt it is. With a Yes vote the Scottish accent is about to become toxic to many within rUK It won't be the reassuring accent banks like to use. I can see some of the least expected items moving South of the border fairly quickly..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    Look on the bright side malc, at least you won;t have to change bank when you move to England ;-)
  • Options
    Financier said:

The banks, financial services and insurance companies confirmed that they would move a major part of their operations, assets and jobs to rUK and most likely England.

The oil companies confirmed the Wood report of the declining oil availability and rising cost of extraction.

Thus having seen Salmond's economic bubble well and truly pricked, in a week's time will the Scots vote with their hearts or their heads?

Reality my arse , it just showed how nasty and vindictive the English establishment is. We will be well shot of them.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Have you spoken to the people responsible for their Yes vote contingency plans....
    YES
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So you think it's going to cost £1billion to move a brass plate?

According to Chirantan Barua, an analyst at Bernstein, it could cost RBS and Lloyds £1bn each to move their operations.

However, with around 4pc of RBS’s retail and small business loan book with Scottish consumers and firms, and around 6pc of Lloyds’, they may feel it is worth the expense.

As usual you use the divisive language of the nationalist - why is pointing out a threat to Scottish jobs "decrying Scotland" - you're the one standing idly by as Salmond's fantasy wrecks people's lives.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Reality my arse , it just showed how nasty and vindictive the English establishment is. We will be well shot of them.
    Always wondered if you had an arse, or whether you levitated on all the hot air you produce from all your orifices.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

Have you spoken to the people responsible for their Yes vote contingency plans....
    YES
    So the CEO of Standard Life is lying to his board, shareholders, stock exchange and the media?
  • Options
    He had come to have a sorrowful word with a family member having an attack of the vapours, or so it felt. Let Alex Salmond and John Prescott do the shouting and hyperbole. Sure enough, the numptie Prescott was at that very moment creating several diplomatic incidents in Glasgow: Les Dawson crossed with Sir Les Patterson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2751297/The-things-missing-red-rose-box-Milk-Tray-QUENTIN-LETTS-Dave-s-unscripted-Edinburgh-love-in.html#ixzz3Cz15eoNW
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    Look on the bright side malc, at least you won;t have to change bank when you move to England ;-)
    Alan, arse licking tossers pontificating does not scare me. The English banks will still be English banks after a YES vote.
    The chicken hearted tossers on here are pathetic cretins scared of their own shadows.
    We will have banks and hopefully better than the current crop of crap.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

He had come to have a sorrowful word with a family member having an attack of the vapours, or so it felt. Let Alex Salmond and John Prescott do the shouting and hyperbole. Sure enough, the numptie Prescott was at that very moment creating several diplomatic incidents in Glasgow: Les Dawson crossed with Sir Les Patterson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2751297/The-things-missing-red-rose-box-Milk-Tray-QUENTIN-LETTS-Dave-s-unscripted-Edinburgh-love-in.html#ixzz3Cz15eoNW

Loved Dave meeting the public yesterday, who knows whether he was actually in Scotland given he spoke from a locked room to himself. Looks like he has a career in Hollywood beckoning after politics, the trembling lip and fake tear were a nice trick.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

YES
    So the CEO of Standard Life is lying to his board, shareholders, stock exchange and the media?
    Get a life , he said he would open an English company , no mention of anything else. Who gives a toss what that crawling arse says, he is in Cameron's pocket, arse sucker looking for gongs. They are a shit company in any case.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?
    look back I posted it the other day
    read and weep...............http://www.mumsnet.com/politics/mumsnetters-on-scottish-referendum
  • Options

Finally, the penny drops:

Labour voters could break up the Union, admits Ed Miliband
    Comments are an admission that Labour supporters shifting their backing into the Yes camp could result in Scotland leaving the Union after 300 years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11088032/Labour-voters-could-break-up-the-Union-admits-Ed-Miliband.html

You do have to laugh, Scottish Labour have spent the last 10 years fighting the wrong enemy. If they'd laid off the Conservatives and let them chase the right wing SNP voters maybe they'd not be wondering which country they'll be in next week.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks
    Apart from the Airdrie Savings Bank - who?

• Options
    There will be some people who despise bankers enough that they see banks leaving Scotland as a reason to vote for independence.

I've no idea if there are enough people in Scotland who feel like that to outweigh those who want banks to keep on being based in Scotland, but it is a factor that may be worth considering.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

Food banks :-)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

I think you will find the English banks will be stupid enough to think they can stay in Scotland as well. Hopefully they get thrown out and we get some decent banks. It is all online nowadays in any event so matters not where teh brass plate sits. Mine is in Spain.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

Our sole union benefit , we are desperate for more
  • Options
    Well aaaallllrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttt!!!!!!

@BBCNormanS: I am more confident than I have ever been about securing a Yes vote - @AlexSalmond speech today
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

matters not where teh brass plate sits.
    It does if you are employed by the bank.....which is what we were discussing....about how Separation would be so good for jobs...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

What about dozens of nuclear weapons, you ingrate!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?
    http://tinyurl.com/nfquv67

Strangely not mentioned by the Telegraph.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?

It's revenge for Eck running away from all their correspondents questions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

Looking at the short term economics I don't think that's going to be an issue.
  • Options
    I'm all green too having surfed the YouGov night... v nice...

Unlike my trading position in those annuity providers.... that's touching 4k down again...

Ooops.... Come on Yvette!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,729
    edited September 2014

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?

Because it was before the webchat that the Mums were cross about?

Oh, and you know your tweet about Scottish Company shares recovering?

Three out of the four have confirmed moving to England.

Any more stock tips?
  • Options
    @bbcnickrobinson: John Lewis boss says 'there will be economic consequences' of Scottish independence & warns of 'likelihood of higher prices' in stores
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?

Any more stock tips?

Yeah, that's definitely why they didn't mention it. A poll specifically taken with Scottish users v. a UK wide webchat, no doubts about which one the senescent screechers & the Telegraph are going to leap upon.

I'll report back to you on how Cameron's tiny carrot and big businesses' coordinated stick is going down on the doorsteps of Baillieston this afternoon.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

YES
    Get a life , he said he would open an English company , no mention of anything else. Who gives a toss what that crawling arse says, he is in Cameron's pocket, arse sucker looking for gongs. They are a shit company in any case.
    The "crawling arse" has just sold off Standard Life Canada, part of SL for over 100 years. Recently announced major changes to the UK staff 's company pension plans to take effect within 2 years.

Yep, looks like he's organising a sell off of SL and there isn't any one in Scotland who could buy it. India or China or both maybe? That would mean control of several hundred billions of assets from Scotland plus a major loss of tax revenue disappearing from Swinney's budget plans

Some one really does not have much confidence in Eckland.

As for being a "crap company", the efficiency of the systems and skill levels of the staff are, I believe, amongst the highest in the UK. True, staff there have been under intense pressure due mostly by non replacement of leavers and redundancy, and misplaced attempts at cost cutting by middle management, but that sort of crap is endemic in a lot of UK companies to a greater or lesser extent.

And as for gongs, while previously being head of SL has meant being Knighted was part of the job description package, Nish seems to be not so bothered.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Oliver_PB said:

Remind me why does Scotland want to keep the Hebredes in Scotland? Same argument.

• Options
    Douglas Fraser ‏@BBCDouglasF 8 mins
    RBS confirms plan to move HQ to England after an #indyref 'yes', while retaining 'significant level of operations + jobs in Scotland'
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Up early to finish a job, and I find I've seemingly lost a day ... it is Thursday isn't it?!

Some interesting comments on Scotgoespop about the Survation polls - and in particular their weighting of the high No result in youngsters of 16 and 17 which I see is contrary to other recent polls.

And I see Mr Galloway has changed his story about not getting on BBC QT - it's no longer the nasty nats but the BBC banning him cos he's not elected for any Scottish constituency, not entirely surprisingly for such an event.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/row-over-george-galloway-slot-on-question-time.1410378979
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?

Any more stock tips?
    In further news today, companies owned by UK plc say what their owner's current management team wants, the Scotsman comes out for No, and bears are seen taking the Scotsman into the woods.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Up early to finish a job, and I find I've seemingly lost a day ... it is Thursday isn't it?!

Some interesting comments on Scotgoespop about the Survation polls - and in particular their weighting of the high No result in youngsters of 16 and 17 which I see is contrary to other recent polls.

And I see Mr Galloway has changed his story about not getting on BBC QT - it's no longer the nasty nats but the BBC banning him cos he's not elected for any Scottish constituency, not entirely surprisingly for such an event.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/row-over-george-galloway-slot-on-question-time.1410378979

Does Galloway even have a vote in the referendum? Be quite funny if after all his bluster he was just another vote eunuch.
  • Options
    YouGov

The 2010VI LD's retention of 24% matches the lowest of this year at the end of May. It is quite contrary to the results of recent YG polls.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Does Galloway even have a vote in the referendum? Be quite funny if after all his bluster he was just another vote eunuch.
    Do you know, I have no idea.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Just another vote eunuch like ten of the Scotland starting eleven against Germany on Monday.
    Sturgeon wouldn't have been able to handle Galloway, so she vetoed him. Pathetic.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Just another vote eunuch like ten of the Scotland starting eleven against Germany on Monday.
    Sturgeon wouldn't have been able to handle Galloway, so she vetoed him. Pathetic.
    I didn't know Ms Sturgeon worked for the BBC ... you might want to read that Herald piece.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

It does if you are employed by the bank.....which is what we were discussing....about how Separation would be so good for jobs...
    I am trembling , a numpty halfwit claims doom approaches. Brass plates will move away, oooooooh scary
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    eristdoof said:

Oliver_PB said:

Remind me why does Scotland want to keep the Hebredes in Scotland? Same argument.

It is part of our country you thickhead, also get some geography lessons and learn to spell place names.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Hmmm, funny that people aren't quoting this bit. The hysterical swing from "The sky is falling" to "That's the Nats back in their box" is hilarious. Never has a poll showing no change sparked such in a change in attitudes amongst so many.

The move of what Lloyds describes as "legal entities" indicates that the banking group is not suggesting there will be a mass relocation of its 16,000 Scottish-based staff. The move would simply mean that the bank would remain protected and regulated by the Bank of England.

RBS employs 11,500 people in Scotland.

Angus Grossart, chairman of merchant bank Noble Grossart, said that people should "not panic" following the decisions made by the two banks. He told the Financial Times that the impact of a Yes vote was "severely overstated".

BBC economics editor Robert Peston said that that if RBS, 81%-owned by the UK government, moved its head office and registered office to London it "would involve some jobs moving south".

However, he said the situation with Lloyds was different: "Lloyds would move its legal home to its head office, which is already in London - and that's unlikely to have much impact on Scottish employment."

A Treasury source told the BBC that it had discussed the plans with RBS.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

YES
    The "crawling arse" has just sold off Standard Life Canada, part of SL for over 100 years. Recently announced major changes to the UK staff 's company pension plans to take effect within 2 years.

Yep, looks like he's organising a sell off of SL and there isn't any one in Scotland who could buy it. India or China or both maybe? That would mean control of several hundred billions of assets from Scotland plus a major loss of tax revenue disappearing from Swinney's budget plans

Some one really does not have much confidence in Eckland.

As for being a "crap company", the efficiency of the systems and skill levels of the staff are, I believe, amongst the highest in the UK. True, staff there have been under intense pressure due mostly by non replacement of leavers and redundancy, and misplaced attempts at cost cutting by middle management, but that sort of crap is endemic in a lot of UK companies to a greater or lesser extent.

And as for gongs, while previously being head of SL has meant being Knighted was part of the job description package, Nish seems to be not so bothered.
    Bollocks, the arse has been making people redundant for years, he is gong hunting for sure and in Cameron's pocket. We can do well without arseholes like these.
  • Options
    @dylsharpe: Rare ministerial funny > RT @DavidGauke Looks like an independent Scotland will have more pandas than banks or insurance companies #indyref
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Anecdote alert: today is the first YouGov for a while to have Labour ahead on the Scottish subsample. (Anecdote because it's an unweighted 185 people.)

Bobajob FPT: Andrew Rosindell and I at the Tory conference are talking about whether it's possible to end animal testing on cats and dogs. Cats are rarely used now, but feature in unpleasant vision tests (kittens' eyes sewn up from birth etc.) with no obvious relevance to humans. Dogs are mainly used as a re-test of chemical safety for substances already tested on mice (the legislation specifies you've got to test on two species), but new research shows that no additional safety information is provided by the retest, so essentially everyone is wasting time, money and dogs.

Old regulations tend to linger on long after the research has changed the picture, so it's the job of NGOs like mine to say, "Oi, there's new information, time to review the policy". Andrew Rosindell is vey helpful on animal issues, even if our views on Europe, say, might not totally coincide.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Mumsnet?

Source?

Any more stock tips?
    Ha Ha Ha , big gob smacked shut , stupid UK webchat trumped by real Scotland poll, boo hoo , any more Tory lies for us.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Wiki says he is resident in London - not even Bradford where he is of course a MP.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

They have not mentioned any jobs moving you turnip, they are doing a paper exercise so that idiots like you have to fund the bankers when they mess up.
    Yesterday you were crowing how we could not bail them out now you are lumbered with them. Try and get some consistency in your scary stories.
  • Options
    Financier said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Always wondered if you had an arse, or whether you levitated on all the hot air you produce from all your orifices.
    LOL, sad sack Tory halfwit tries to be witty
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Financier said:

I for one will be voting with my heart. Pretty much all Tory supporters in Scotland (approximately 450K) will be doing likewise. Cameron was spot on yesterday.

As I have said before do not ask Scots to choose between head and heart. BT must hammer home in this week how much they love their country. Personally, I think Cameron can do this better than anyone else but it is for Labour to remind their supporters what we have achieved and can still achieve as a United Kingdom. If they restrict themselves to the head this will be dangerously close.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Hmmm, funny that people aren't quoting this bit. The hysterical swing from "The sky is falling" to "That's the Nats back in their box" is hilarious. Never has a poll showing no change sparked such in a change in attitudes amongst so many.

The move of what Lloyds describes as "legal entities" indicates that the banking group is not suggesting there will be a mass relocation of its 16,000 Scottish-based staff. The move would simply mean that the bank would remain protected and regulated by the Bank of England.

RBS employs 11,500 people in Scotland.

Angus Grossart, chairman of merchant bank Noble Grossart, said that people should "not panic" following the decisions made by the two banks. He told the Financial Times that the impact of a Yes vote was "severely overstated".

BBC economics editor Robert Peston said that that if RBS, 81%-owned by the UK government, moved its head office and registered office to London it "would involve some jobs moving south".

However, he said the situation with Lloyds was different: "Lloyds would move its legal home to its head office, which is already in London - and that's unlikely to have much impact on Scottish employment."

A Treasury source told the BBC that it had discussed the plans with RBS.
    Quite, and in fact I gather that the poll did show an increase for Yes on the past Survation, strictly speaking - 0.5 percent points on one approach (Scotgoespop discusses it this morning, as far as he can on initial data releases, and he is BTW NOT impressed with the teaser tweets either).

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Pass the sick bucket
    We will have banks

Looking at the short term economics I don't think that's going to be an issue.
    Short term does not cut it Alan, we have had the monkeys up , can only tell their lies in private , scared to meet real people. We have their arse licking chums now threatening doom and gloom. We have been here before we know it is all bollocks from self interested arse licking no marks. These hyenas will chase money anywhere
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Lunatic gets even crazier ,
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Carnyx said:

I don't see myself as a vote eunuch, it's just a temporary spot of electoral dysfunction. Never happened before, honest.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@dylsharpe: Rare ministerial funny > RT @DavidGauke Looks like an independent Scotland will have more pandas than banks or insurance companies #indyref

LOL, numpty spouts crap. News, English banks threaten to move to England.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Financier said:

I for one will be voting with my heart. Pretty much all Tory supporters in Scotland (approximately 450K) will be doing likewise. Cameron was spot on yesterday.

As I have said before do not ask Scots to choose between head and heart. BT must hammer home in this week how much they love their country. Personally, I think Cameron can do this better than anyone else but it is for Labour to remind their supporters what we have achieved and can still achieve as a United Kingdom. If they restrict themselves to the head this will be dangerously close.
    It is vote for HOPE or vote for liars who promise NO HOPE. You are deluded David , people do not want lying , nasty , heartless Tories running our country.
    Cameron is a fake.
  • Options
    Oh dear, the Nats seem just a little bit upset this morning, verging on the unbalanced.

I guess the Sheffield Rally victory party didn't go so well...
  • Options
    BBC News: Pedigree to remove the 'Chum' on Scottish labels due to concerns about relationships with our southern neighbours if Yes vote.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: No longer a "scare story": it is a fact now: RBS will redomicile to England after a Yes. yes side shd explain why they think tis no problem
  • Options
    I may be missing something here, but isn't the issue with the Scottish finance sector heading south its ability then to make a contribution to iScotland's tax take? If a company is incorporated in England and selling most of its products in England, won't the corporation and other taxes it pays end up with the rUK, with the money from its much smaller Scottish operations staying in Scotland? If that is correct, then given the size of the finance sector in the Scottish economy that is going to be a major problem, isn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbcnickrobinson: John Lewis boss says 'there will be economic consequences' of Scottish independence & warns of 'likelihood of higher prices' in stores

Someone needs a Chambers's Weans Dictionary. It seems that the aforesaid boss said 'different'!

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    John Lewis Partnership chairman Sir Charlie Mayfield tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme that shoppers in Scotland are likely to face higher prices if the country votes in favour of independence.
    He said: "The debate has clearly become very, very fractious. As a businessman it is not my place to tell Scottish voters how to vote in next week's referendum.
    "But I will say two things.
    "From a business perspective there will be economic consequences to a Yes vote, not just in uncertainty but some of the turmoil we are hearing about. And it is also the case that it does cost more money to trade in parts of Scotland and therefore those hard costs, in the event of a Yes vote, are more likely to be passed on."

BBC Ticker - c. 8.07.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    As usual James makes some interesting and valid points and some rather more contentious ones.

But the big picture is this: no one other than Yougov who have made a truly embarrassing mess of their polling on Sindy, going from one extreme to the other in a very short time, is picking up any major movement to Yes (so far).

The picture remains far more stable than Yougov sought to paint it. My guess is that the next Yougov will show No back with a small lead and there is a hint from James that he expects the same but I totally agree with him that nerves are being shredded on this and the quality of polling available is truly awful.

What do we want? ICM. When do we want it? Now.
This discussion has been closed.