Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looks as though we’ll get an IndyRef poll from the firm

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Apparently Bono has endorsed Yes. What he has to do with anything I do not know

He's a knight of the British Empire, isn't he?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Socrates
    Cases of malnutrition, rickets, and diphtheria are on the rise again.
  • Options
    The Screaming Eagles ‏@TSEofPB now

Well somebody at ESPN is getting fired today! #NSFW via @Betfair

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxLEqwQIMAA_HvN.png
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

@Danny

Indeed it is truly laughable - an argument you often also witness on here.

Amazing that Labour still don't get it - they stoke up the Tory demons week in, week out with no respect for the truth, then wonder why the SCOTTISH w/c [yes they're the ones switching to yes right now] decide to play safe and avoid the 'wicked tories' forever.
  • Options

So has Rick Wakeman.
  • Options
    I don't know how I'd vote if I was Scottish but I'd definitely tell pollsters I was going to vote Yes. A few more YouGov's and they'll all get a free car.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

From tiny numbers to slightly larger tiny numbers. This is the exact sort of misleading much-publicised claim I'm talking about.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @felix
    Have you considered for one moment that most of Scotland thinks that the Tories are uncaring idiots with not a clue about how other people view them.
    Ahhhh....Of course, you wouldn't would you? :-)
  • Options
    @Felix

Oh dear. Yet another example of someone who thinks it's not the Tories' actual policies that are causing the problem, but the way Labour present them.

Clue: look at when Tory representation in Scotland collapsed and see who was in power.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Mostly the result of increased immigration one suspects.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Indeed. TBH, this is what's amusing the most about a potential Yes win based on Labour voters just doing exactly what Labour have been telling them to do for 30yrs.

And what a wonderfully Pyrrhic victory it will be - the irony is just delicious.

That they can't see it just makes it even funnier.
    felix said:

@Danny

Indeed it is truly laughable - an argument you often also witness on here.

Amazing that Labour still don't get it - they stoke up the Tory demons week in, week out with no respect for the truth, then wonder why the SCOTTISH w/c [yes they're the ones switching to yes right now] decide to play safe and avoid the 'wicked tories' forever.
  • Options
    For those interested, the cases of people requiring healthcare for malnutrition have risen to a whopping 0.008% of the population.
  • Options

He likes a low tax regime.

• Options
    This is getting embarrassing.

http://ow.ly/i/6Q1dq
  • Options

Bono's tax resident in Ireland.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

From tiny numbers to slightly larger tiny numbers. This is the exact sort of misleading much-publicised claim I'm talking about.
    Diptheria - one case in the uk in 2013. An infinity percent rise over the previous year!!! Aieeeee!! Run for the hills!!! WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!
    http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/diphtheria-and-diphtheria-vaccination
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014
    Must say I'm beginning to feel sorry for Scotland seemingly having the entire Westminster establishment desend on them today.

Not sure how this is supposed to help BT though...

As far as Bono goes, I'll take your Bono and raise it with Macca and Jagger...
  • Options

I don't know how I'd vote if I was Scottish but I'd definitely tell pollsters I was going to vote Yes. A few more YouGov's and they'll all get a free car.

Without reading the small print that it is in fact 'a' free car, shared between 5m.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Alan Roden @AlanRoden · 9m
    Hearing about some more significant #indyref economic interventions this afternoon. Source suggests it could be "Black Wednesday" for SNP.
  • Options
    @Socrates
    What level does it have to reach before you become concerned about a rise?
    We know most of the people on here can happily ignore the increased use of "foodbanks".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    I thought the Hague / Hattie PMQs today was a disgrace. Seems everyone is lining up to offer more to Scotland. Apparently a 'Scotland Bill' will be forhcoming PDQ. They haven't asked for my consent via an election manifesto or referendum on this. Bastards.

Why not an 'Equal Devolution Federal UK Act'? More jam for the Jocks? Fcuk the English even harder? The Westminster elite, even at the 11th hour 59 minutes and 59 seconds still do not get it. Gimps.

Memo to Dave: Offer the jocks WTF you like - but offer the same to England. Or suffer the electoral consequences.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@felix
    Have you considered for one moment that most of Scotland thinks that the Tories are uncaring idiots with not a clue about how other people view them.
    Ahhhh....Of course, you wouldn't would you? :-)

With nearly half a million votes at the last GE - almost as many as the SNP er No! But even if you were right in that case why are Labour not supporting YES like 35% of Scots Labour voters.
    Oh - cos they're shit scared of losing 40+ MPs forever.
  • Options

Clue: look at when Tory representation in Scotland collapsed and see who was in power.

It collapsed when Alastair Campbell and the rest of the New Labour spin-merchants very successfully started weaving ludicrous myths, such as the complete absurdity that the timing of the poll tax introduction was some piece of anti-Scottish vindictiveness (it was actually because otherwise they'd have had to carry out an enormous revaluation exercise just for one year), or the equally absurd nonsense about Thatcher destroying industry (in fact there were more industrial closures in the periods before Thatcher, and after Major, than in her period in office).

As a piece of dishonest political propaganda, it was brilliant. Quite a few people still actually believe the nonsense they peddled.
  • Options
    IIRC the instances of rickets is often due to young dark skinned girls wearing full coverings and failing to get the necessary Vitamin D.
    Any child whose diet does not contain enough vitamin D or calcium can develop rickets, but the condition is more common in children with dark skin (as this means more sunlight is needed to get enough vitamin D), children born prematurely, and children taking medication that interferes with vitamin D.
    There were 900 cases in 2012 nhs.uk/conditions/rickets/pages/introduction.aspx
    felix said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Mostly the result of increased immigration one suspects.
  • Options

@Felix

Oh dear. Yet another example of someone who thinks it's not the Tories' actual policies that are causing the problem, but the way Labour present them.

Of course, if the Tories had not opposed Labour at the last GE we would still have a Labour government and Scotland's departure from the Union would not be an issue. So actually it's all the Tories' fault.

More reasonably, all the major parties have alienated voters across the UK, Labour among them. In Scotland they have a chance to do something about it. If the rest of the UK had a chance to stick two fingers up to the Westminster elite, it would too. Thus, in this as in so much more we see just how similar the Scots and Scotland are to the rest of us.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

@Felix

And you don't think 13 years of new labour (Iraq war) helped the independence vote on it's way ? SNP hammered labour in the Scottish elections.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Hearing about some more significant #indyref economic interventions this afternoon. Source suggests it could be "Black Wednesday" for SNP.

By the time next Thursday rolls around, it will likely take a brave heart to vote Yes.

• Options
    @felix
    What are Dave and Cleggy "shit scared of?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Socrates
    What level does it have to reach before you become concerned about a rise?
    We know most of the people on here can happily ignore the increased use of "foodbanks".

What level of falling unemployment would make you reluctantly concede that the Tories are looking after the best interests of the whole population?
  • Options

@Felix

And you don't think 13 years of new labour (Iraq war) helped the independence vote on it's way ? SNP hammered labour in the Scottish elections.

Labour got 42% of the vote in Scotland in 2010, after those 13 years.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Who would The Beatles have endorsed?

We know Macca's for NO, I think George would have been firmly for NO as well.

John Lennon would have been YES of course.

Ringo (still alive apparently?) is in his Yellow Submarine and seemingly ambivalent to everything happening around him...
  • Options
    Yay, I've been asked to write the Survation thread.
  • Options
    A vile and frightening disease - I'm glad there's never been some stupid MMR style scare over its vaccine.

My mum knew someone who had it as a kid and almost suffocated as her throat swelled so much she couldn't breath in.
    Anorak said:

Socrates said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Diptheria - one case in the uk in 2013. An infinity percent rise over the previous year!!! Aieeeee!! Run for the hills!!! WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!
  • Options
    Patrick
    "but offer the same to England"
    Yes, that would be very sensible, unlikely, but sensible.
  • Options
    @Fitalass

Will it be more forecasts of disaster per chance?

It's pathetic stuff, it really is.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2014
    Plato said:

Indeed Mr @HurstLlama‌! I'd forgotten about trying to glue them to each other. Some people [cough] are very accomplished at rolling these.

Others end up with results that look more like a Toblerone or a sweet wrapper. Not cool.

Plato said:

I'm sure some wag with make bog roll paper printed with spoof Salmond currency post 18th.

Or perhaps Rizla will produce some commemorative roll-up papers?

They used to do Dollar Bill ones. I haven't seen Rizla papers in years.

rcs1000 said:

For the record, I will pay 96p in the pound for Scottish notes on 19 September in the event of a yes. Unlimited volumes :-)

What's wrong with Andrex?
    Possibly Andrex is more valuable. Softer too....
    Odd indeed seeing as Rizla papers are on open sale in every newsagent.
    Bob, I think Miss Plato might have been referring to Rizla papers that were meant for really big fags. You know those with really added ooomph. The sort that Rizla brought out to save people having to glue three normal papers together.

Damn, this might give you a clue
    Two longwise and one across the top and tear of the lid from the paper's packet to roll-up and provide the roach. Of course, you needed an LP (album) cover to mix the ingredients on and the choice of LP was very important in the degree of cool you were generating. The actual rolling was, as you say, the true mark. Kids these days, I expect they can get them tailor made, what do they know.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama - You seem to have a remarkable degree of knowledge of the subject.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    fitalass said:

Twitter

'Lying turnip fannys', 'Bluffers', 'Tory stooges'
  • Options
    I'm just glad this is all spilling out - the voters need more than Brigadoon on the ballot paper.

fitalass said:

Twitter

By the time next Thursday rolls around, it will likely take a brave heart to vote Yes.

• Options
    Plato said:

A vile and frightening disease - I'm glad there's never been some stupid MMR style scare over its vaccine.

My mum knew someone who had it as a kid and almost suffocated as her throat swelled so much she couldn't breath in.

Anorak said:

Socrates said:

Smarmeron said:

@Socrates

Yes, hideous. But assuredly not a problem in the uk, thanks to a long and successful vaccination scheme and rock-solid herd immunity.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@felix
    What are Dave and Cleggy "shit scared of?

Ahh - and neatly he falls into the trap - Labour supporters don't really get the idea of doing something because it's the right thing to do. It's all about the short-term soundbites isn't it. You are Ed M and I claim my £100 - English banknotes please:)
  • Options

Without reading the small print that it is in fact 'a' free car, shared between 5m.
    Presumably it's a Panda. And, as we've seen, Scottish Pandas frequently fail to deliver.
  • Options

@Felix

and more people fed up with all 3 main parties,thanks to new labour lies.

• Options

@HurstLlama - You seem to have a remarkable degree of knowledge of the subject.

Mr. Nabavi, we were all young once.
  • Options

Britain’s Faculty of Public Health has linked the growing trend to people’s inability to afford quality food. According to the latest figures, there has been a 19-percent increase in the number of UK citizens hospitalized for malnutrition over the past twelve months.
    http://rt.com/uk/182192-poverty-malnutrition-uk-austerity/
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Really? This is about people's jobs, mortgages, pensions, savings, businesses.

@Fitalass

• Options

Plato said:

Indeed Mr @HurstLlama‌! I'd forgotten about trying to glue them to each other. Some people [cough] are very accomplished at rolling these.

Others end up with results that look more like a Toblerone or a sweet wrapper. Not cool.

Plato said:

I'm sure some wag with make bog roll paper printed with spoof Salmond currency post 18th.

rcs1000 said:

For the record, I will pay 96p in the pound for Scottish notes on 19 September in the event of a yes. Unlimited volumes :-)

Bob, I think Miss Plato might have been referring to Rizla papers that were meant for really big fags. You know those with really added ooomph. The sort that Rizla brought out to save people having to glue three normal papers together.

Two longwise and one across the top and tear of the lid from the paper's packet to roll-up and provide the roach. Of course, you needed an LP (album) cover to mix the ingredients on and the choice of LP was very important in the degree of cool you were generating. The actual rolling was, as you say, the true mark. Kids these days, I expect they can get them tailor made, what do they know.
    The world-renowned Camberwell Carrot
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PObknmaH9po
  • Options

@Fitalass

It's much, much too late. No-one will listen.

• Options
    @Richard_Nabavi
    A great number of those now in "work" find themselves relying on foodbanks, and this despite having their wages subsidized by the taxpayer.
    Nice if you are an employer though, especially if you have made sure your tax liabilities are mainly overseas.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited September 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Must say I'm beginning to feel sorry for Scotland seemingly having the entire Westminster establishment desend on them today.

Not sure how this is supposed to help BT though...

As far as Bono goes, I'll take your Bono and raise it with Macca and Jagger...

The English are just waiting for a couple more celebs before they close the border.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737

Yay, I've been asked to write the Survation thread.

Do you get an embargoed copy in advance for Survation, or are you going to have to write a variety of different threads and post the appropriate one at 10:31pm?

(And I expect a number of not so subtle U2 references...)
  • Options
    looking at the £ bouncing back on the currency markets one suspects someone knows, or thinks s/he knows, something.....
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

Britain’s Faculty of Public Health has linked the growing trend to people’s inability to afford quality food. According to the latest figures, there has been a 19-percent increase in the number of UK citizens hospitalized for malnutrition over the past twelve months.

Err, do you think that article is from an entirely unbiased and reliable source?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Patrick said:

I thought the Hague / Hattie PMQs today was a disgrace. Seems everyone is lining up to offer more to Scotland. Apparently a 'Scotland Bill' will be forhcoming PDQ. They haven't asked for my consent via an election manifesto or referendum on this. Bastards.

Why not an 'Equal Devolution Federal UK Act'? More jam for the Jocks? Fcuk the English even harder? The Westminster elite, even at the 11th hour 59 minutes and 59 seconds still do not get it. Gimps.

Memo to Dave: Offer the jocks WTF you like - but offer the same to England. Or suffer the electoral consequences.

Agree.

If it's a no vote and Scotland get extra powers.

UKIP should run for a English parliament because I expect the 3 main parties to bottle it.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    A great number of those now in "work" find themselves relying on foodbanks, and this despite having their wages subsidized by the taxpayer.
    Nice if you are an employer though, especially if you have made sure your tax liabilities are mainly overseas.

So you'd rather those people were out of work and totally on benefits.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Here's a food bank:

http://www.brightonandhovecitymission.org.uk/activities/basics-bank/

Show me where they are used to support wages of regularly employed people.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

For God's sake, the fact you're linking an article from a Russian government propaganda channel shows how idiotic it all is. A 19% rise off eff all is still eff all. It's a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percentile. The inability to afford quality food? Are you serious?! Three chicken breasts from Aldi costs about £3.50. A kilogram of rice is only a quid or so. Add in fresh vegetables, which costs about 30p and last for a whole bunch of meals, and you could easily get a square meal with meat for two pounds. If you're not fussy about meat, you could have an egg dish for under a quid. No-one in this country is unable to afford that unless they've decided to live on the streets.
  • Options
    I'm still laughing at your Muppets video = just epic! And I love that song too so it just made it even funnier.

Ah, the choice of LP - indeed. One of my most stoned BFs was partial to Tales of Topographic Oceans by Yes, or Warrior on the Edge of Time by Hawkwind.

And of course it was de rigeur to light up whilst sat on the carpet in the dark, with said album playing...

Jeez. Still it made a change from speed-freaks who'd zip around for hours then fall into a coma on the sofa. Not the most entertaining company. I'd rather get smashed myself.

Plato said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    @felix
    "No answer" does not win you a prize, though I could make you a paper cone hat with a large "D" on it if you wish?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Or, to put it more plainly, your prejudice is such that, no matter how clear the evidence to the contrary, and completely irrespective of the facts, nothing will shake your irrational belief that the Tories are deliberately harming the poor.

Oh, and by the way, there are many more food banks in Socialist France, with a public sector comprising 57% of GDP.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,065
    edited September 2014

@TSE

None of Chelsea, West Ham, QPR or Millwall play in the areas after which they are named. Neither do Everton or Forest for that matter.

Neither do Arsenal

Edit to be fair that's because there isn't an area called Arsenal
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Don't worry. It just more votes for UKIP. The establishment parties are in perpetual decline now. Their '50 year old chickens' are coming home to roost
  • Options
    @Fita

So severe and important a warning it has to be made at the 11th hour. What a pathetic, panicky way to run a campaign. Utterly unconvincing
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited September 2014
    Looking at the results of narrow referendum majorities.

The 1997 Welsh Devolution Referendum had YES on 50.3% and NO on 49.7% - just look at the mess they are in today - campaigning for a NO vote at the Scot's Indy Ref, as they are scared stiff of the consequences of being responsible for their own expenditure.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@felix
    "No answer" does not win you a prize, though I could make you a paper cone hat with a large "D" on it if you wish?

Maybe I'll wear it if you give us some more links to RT News channels:))
  • Options

fitalass said:

Twitter

That sounds like a niche porn market.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,089
    edited September 2014

@Felix

True, but that was a FPTP UKGE - and much of that was more to do with Keeping the Tories Out rather than any endorsement of the People's Tribunes or Heirs of K. Hardie. And look at 2011 in Scotland. And on top of that the effect of indyref ... It's not a bet I'd take for 2015(or whenever the next UKGE will be).

• Options
    @Richard_Nabavi
    Wealth and remuneration increases for those at the top circa 10% year on year since the crash.
    People at the bottom? below inflation.
    Failed basic maths did you?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Plato said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

Or possibly now that cannabis is quite often actual cannabis,rather than hay and dried cow dung, a single paper's worth is enough to do the trick.

• Options

Patrick said:

Don't worry. It just more votes for UKIP. The establishment parties are in perpetual decline now. Their '50 year old chickens' are coming home to roost
    I understand 100% why Labour fear a FUK. But can't for the life of me see why Dave doesn't embrace it all the way to a landslide. It'll happen anyway, of course, if it's YES. And if it's a narrow NO then they'll have 6 months to contemplate the change of mood and English awakening - so the Tory manifesto may belatedly do the right thing. Otherwise (Dominic Raab I'm talking to you) my vote goes to UKIP.
  • Options
    Go Scotland!

Go go go!
  • Options
    @ISam

Ha very true. I wince like a pedant when I hear someone saying I'm going to buy a house in Arsenal, or some such
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Plato said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

That sounds like a niche porn market.

Filmed in the shed on malcolm's allotment.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    Wealth and remuneration increases for those at the top circa 10% year on year since the crash.

You realise that the changes in pay since the crash might have something to do with, um, the crash?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

Or possibly now that cannabis is quite often actual cannabis,rather than hay and dried cow dung, a single paper's worth is enough to do the trick.

If you say so. What would I know?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

No, as a matter of fact I got a scholarship to Oxford and a doctorate in theoretical physics. Thus I am well qualified to point out the howling errors in your logic, the first of which is that you have neatly included the crash UNDER A LABOUR GOVERNMENT in your figures, the second is that the figures are in any case wrong, and the third of which is that everyone agrees that the financial crash under Labour's watch was a severe hit to the economy, but that doesn't imply that the coalition's policies aren't the best way of dealing with the disaster they inherited.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

Surely, as a "pragmatic communist", you welcome a narrower concentration of capital, and wages falling to subsistence level, as the natural and inevitable consequence of capitalism, being the precursor to the upcoming expropriation of the expropriators, and onset of the dictatorship of the proletariat?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,089
    Patrick said:

Exactly, I for one realised the moment the Edinburgh Agreement was announced that Mr C had lost the plot, in the light of the polling at the time. He could only offer devomax if he did pretty much what you say - but at the same time it seemed likely to be the only clean and certain way to save the Union.

I happen to have just rechecked the date of the Edinburgh Agreement when Mr Cameron vetoed Devomax. October 2012. He had almost two years to do it . He could have said "we are going to look at a third option of devomax and we're going to check with the EWNIish and maybe even have a referendum on the constitution and get back to you on that in time for indyref with full details. If they agree, it's three options, else it'll be plain Yes and No." And all that would have been within a single administration at Westminster (and Holyrood for that matter).
  • Options

No, as a matter of fact I got a scholarship to Oxford and a doctorate in theoretical physics.

One need read no further. The sociology of knowledge ensures that your views can be dismissed as merely a rationalisation for your own economic interests.
  • Options
    I think we must have moved in different circles as youngsters. The Rush song titled Passage To Bangkok is a good yardstick for mine as a teen. I gather this is all very tame nowadays compared to skunk or whatever the popular stuff is known as.
    Our first stop is in Bogota
    To check Colombian fields
    The natives smile and pass along
    A sample of their yield
    Sweet Jamaican pipe dreams
    Golden Acapulco nights
    Then Morocco, and the East
    Fly by morning light

[Chorus:]
    We're on the train to Bangkok
    Aboard the Thailand Express
    We'll hit the stops along the way
    We only stop for the best

Wreathed in smoke in Lebanon
    We burn the midnight oil
    The fragrance of Afghanistan
    Rewards a long day's toil
    Pulling into Katmandu
    Smoke rings fill the air
    Perfumed by a Nepal night
    The Express gets you there
    Ishmael_X said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    Carnyx said:

@Felix

True, but that was a FPTP UKGE - and much of that was more to do with Keeping the Tories Out rather than any endorsement of the People's Tribunes or Heirs of K. Hardie. And look at 2011 in Scotland. And on top of that the effect of indyref ... It's not a bet I'd take for 2015(or whenever the next UKGE will be).

The Labour vote went up in a country where the Tories never had a chance. If Scots were so disgusted by New Labour they would not have voted for them. Once the SNP's multiple lies become apparent after the yes vote, who will Scots turn to next time around?
  • Options

@ISam

Ha very true. I wince like a pedant when I hear someone saying I'm going to buy a house in Arsenal, or some such

A lot of areas in London now have taken on the name of the local tube stop.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Socrates said:

From wiki:

In August 2006, the band incorporated its publishing business in The Netherlands following the capping of Irish artists' tax exemption at €250,000.[115] The Edge stated that businesses often seek to minimise their tax burdens.[116] The move was criticised in the Irish parliament.[116][117] The band said the criticism was unfair, stating that approximately 95% of their business took place outside of Ireland, that they were taxed globally because of this, and that they were all "personal investors and employers in the country".[118] Bono would later say, "I think U2's tax business is our own business and I think it is not just to the letter of the law but to the spirit of the law."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

I think we must have moved in different circles as youngsters. The Rush song titled Passage To Bangkok is a good yardstick for mine as a teen.

The gatefold sleeve from that album would make an excellent 'rolling' platform...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    From Deloitte's Report on the N Sea oil.

"Research suggests it's now almost five times more expensive to extract a barrel of oil from the North Sea than it was in 2001. "

This report also notes the strong fall in drilling activity in the last quarter of 2014.

"Derek Henderson, senior partner at Deloitte's Aberdeen office, said that the North Sea industry has been grappling with rising operating costs, which was having an impact on activity and investment decisions, particularly given the maturity of the region."
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    KABOOM!

In true Pulp Fiction style, we'll now be picking little iddy-bits of Smarmeron's ego off the back seat.

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi

No, as a matter of fact I got a scholarship to Oxford and a doctorate in theoretical physics. Thus I am well qualified to point out the howling errors in your logic, the first of which is that you have neatly included the crash UNDER A LABOUR GOVERNMENT in your figures, the second is that the figures are in any case wrong, and the third of which is that everyone agrees that the financial crash under Labour's watch was a severe hit to the economy, but that doesn't imply that the coalition's policies aren't the best way of dealing with the disaster they inherited.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

From wiki:

In August 2006, the band incorporated its publishing business in The Netherlands following the capping of Irish artists' tax exemption at €250,000.[115] The Edge stated that businesses often seek to minimise their tax burdens.[116] The move was criticised in the Irish parliament.[116][117] The band said the criticism was unfair, stating that approximately 95% of their business took place outside of Ireland, that they were taxed globally because of this, and that they were all "personal investors and employers in the country".[118] Bono would later say, "I think U2's tax business is our own business and I think it is not just to the letter of the law but to the spirit of the law."
    Bono is a person. U2 is a company. A company of which Bono is one minority shareholder. Bono pays income tax in Ireland.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@ISam

A lot of areas in London now have taken on the name of the local tube stop.
    In Arsenals case it was the reverse
  • Options
    @SeanT

You patronising get. There are also hundreds of business leaders who have backed yes but you hear much less about it...
  • Options
    @Socrates

No they haven't. Some people call them that, but that's not the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

@Fitalass

It's much, much too late. No-one will listen.

Don't be daft. The Quebec result was swung in the final week. From a decent YES lead as well.

And TNS said there were 20-30% undecideds!

IT IS NOT OVER.

YES have had a great month. Phenomenal. But they haven't won it yet. As they well know.
    Let's say it is a NO. What constitutional fairness items should a party manifesto contain (for a party that wants to get some votes)? I'd suggest the bare minimum must include:

An Equal Devolution Act - effectively EVFEL / FUK
    A Citizens Equality Act - outlawing Scottish discrimination against English students
    A commitment to equalise public spending per head across the UK.
  • Options

No, as a matter of fact I got a scholarship to Oxford and a doctorate in theoretical physics.

One need read no further. The sociology of knowledge ensures that your views can be dismissed as merely a rationalisation for your own economic interests.
    Indeed, but I hope they are expressed with panache!
  • Options
    @Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town
    The pragmatic part of it believes that introducing a sense of social responsibility is best done through choice rather than riots or worse.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I happen to have just rechecked the date of the Edinburgh Agreement when Mr Cameron vetoed Devomax. October 2012. He had almost two years to do it . He could have said "we are going to look at a third option of devomax and we're going to check with the EWNIish and maybe even have a referendum on the constitution and get back to you on that in time for indyref with full details. If they agree, it's three options, else it'll be plain Yes and No." And all that would have been within a single administration at Westminster (and Holyrood for that matter).

No, that ignores the reasons for the so-called Edinburgh Agreement. It was needed, and as a matter of urgency in 2012, because the Scottish Government was threatening to pass an Act of the Scottish Parliament providing for a referendum on independence. That would inevitably have been tied down in legal challenge for a considerable period. The Edinburgh Agreement was needed in 2012 to provide legal certainty for the whole referendum process. It simply would not have been possible to say to the Scottish Government, "please wait, why we go and consult the rest of the United Kingdom".
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Socrates said:

Neil said:

Socrates said:

From wiki:

Bono is a person. U2 is a company. A company of which Bono is one minority shareholder. Bono pays income tax in Ireland.
    I offered the wiki reference as proof of Bono's liking of low tax regimes.

• Options
    Indeed! The downsides of the CD are manifest.

Well unless you're cutting coke, and don't have a glass table handy.
    Scott_P said:

Plato said:

I think we must have moved in different circles as youngsters. The Rush song titled Passage To Bangkok is a good yardstick for mine as a teen.

The gatefold sleeve from that album would make an excellent 'rolling' platform...
  • Options
    I don't see the merit of this grumpy objection to giving Scotland 'more powers' -unlike funding, the corollorary of Scotland having 'more powers' is not England having 'less' powers. That's not how it works. This makes the addressing of the unfairnesses to England more likely and imminent, not less. It's just that England isn't the country currently voting on whether to leave or not. Keeping the union from disaster has to be the priority here -other issues will have their own time. Let Scotland be a catalyst for great democratisation.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi
    Money can buy qualifications then? (I assume this as you don't strike me as the comprehensive type entrant to a Uni)
    Get up here to Scotland then Richard, because the majority of Scots, even those voting "no" think you are talking utter bull droppings.
  • Options
    Revolt on the Right (@RevoltonRight)
    10/09/2014 13:13
    Today Ukip is tabling motion in Rotherham calling for Labour cllrs to stand for re-election in shadow of scandal m.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/local/uki…
  • Options
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

Neil said:

Socrates said:

From wiki:

I offered the wiki reference as proof of Bono's liking of low tax regimes.

Reading back to your original comment, fair enough.
This discussion has been closed.