Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rupert Murdoch hints that tonight’s YouGov is has NO and YE

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited September 2014
    Daily Mail's man in Scotland.

Alan Roden ‏@AlanRoden 16 mins
    So, we're expecting the YouGov poll to show a (very) narrow lead for Yes later. Prepare for Twitter meltdown. #indyref

Rumour, entirely unsubstantiated, that it's 47% Yes, 46% No (and presumably 7% undecided, which seems quite low).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,096
    SeanT said:

isam said:

If yes are in the lead in this poll, what price do you think Betfair Yes will go to?

Fairly reliable Twitter rumours saying it's 51% YES - i.e. a lead.

But still: just rumours. Caveat empt and all that.

The odds against secession now look absurdly generous. I think it's just that people can't quite believe it could happen. But it is happening, as things stand.
    SeanT said:

isam said:

If yes are in the lead in this poll, what price do you think Betfair Yes will go to?

Fairly reliable Twitter rumours saying it's 51% YES - i.e. a lead.

But still: just rumours. Caveat empt and all that.

The odds against secession now look absurdly generous. I think it's just that people can't quite believe it could happen. But it is happening, as things stand.
    Ive banged £570 that I haven't really got on it at 4.5 and 3.9 today so Im hoping for a bit of 2.5 tomorrow morning

If its 51/49 it must surely go in that region
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Jack was right.

Ed. Miliband will never be prime minister...
  • Options
    Paddy Power Politics ‏@pppolitics 1m

It's reported YouGov's poll will show a narrow lead for Scots to vote YES - odds now at shortest ever, 9/4 http://pdy.pr/ju5MzE #indyref
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

@pppolitics 58s
    It's reported YouGov's poll will show a narrow lead for Scots to vote YES - odds now at shortest ever, 9/4 http://pdy.pr/ju5MzE #indyref

That's not quite true, it was 2/1 last week and also last year at some point.

edit: I assume that's just with PP.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    The trouble is that even if the Labour leader offers Scotland a proper red deal:

Alex Salmond = Sean Connery
    Ed Miliband = Roger Moore

I'm not saying Miliband and Moore are interchangeable, but you get the drift. I don't feel he's the sort of leftie Scots will warm to. Even Gordon probably has more appeal.
  • Options
    SeanT..in spite of rumours to the contrary you seem to be sadly lacking in the gonad area..
  • Options
    O/T Djokovic 2 sets to 1 down in semi-final.
  • Options
    This is all just a ruse to get the Nats to start paying for online access to the Sunday Times
  • Options
    SeanT said:

So this is it. A YES lead in a reliable pollster.

Cameron now has no choice (he is doomed to go down as perhaps the worst prime minister in history if he loses).

He has to offer Devomax, along with Miliband, Clegg, et al, as described below.

It's probably too late. But he has to do it.

Courage and shuffle the cards you craven poultroon...
  • Options
    Right do I go balls deep on a Yes victory?

Or leave it as is, whereas I'm green on both outcomes
  • Options
    Yes down to 3.65 on betfair, was 4.6 a few hours ago
  • Options
    PB could have a busy night...given the Yes rumours - is OGH on holiday?

Harry Cole‏@MrHarryCole·1 min
    Some interesting defection chatter in tomorrow's Sun column...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    SeanT said:

@pppolitics 58s

I just wonder if this could be a deal changer. 50.001% Yes 49.999% No. 10-20 votes in it overall. Does that really means the end of the Union?

I understand what Cameron and Salmond signed up to. But .........
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,718
    edited September 2014

He's at a BBQ this evening, you've got me instead.
  • Options

At a BBQ this evening, you've got me instead.
    Excellent, so just how nailed on is it for Spurs being 6th this season whilst we await the papers???
  • Options
    Down to 3.55 now
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The trouble is that even if the Labour leader offers Scotland a proper red deal:

I'm not saying Miliband and Moore are interchangeable, but you get the drift. I don't feel he's the sort of leftie Scots will warm to. Even Gordon probably has more appeal.

The deal would have to be offered by all unionist leaders, from Brown to Miliband, Murphy to Clegg, Osborne, Cameron, everyone, and done with humility (as someone else said).

A Federal UK, with virtually all powers entirely devolved.

It's probably too late.

That c*nt Cameron has lost the Union, and those c*nts in Labour made it happen.

Shoot them. I mean shoot them *metaphorically*, of course, but shoot them nonetheless.
    What about Scots' representation at Westminster? It's inconceivable that they could remain as they are with devomax. At the same time I can't imagine the Scots being happy with an English parliament that would dominate the UK. The only path to stability would be regional government of some kind similar to say Germany. To be arranged in a couple of weeks? Impossible.
  • Options

At a BBQ this evening, you've got me instead.
    Excellent, so just how nailed on is it for Spurs being 6th this season whilst we await the papers???
    Spurs fans shouldn't get too despondent by last weekend, you played the side that was the best side during the second half of last season.

I still think Spurs will have a great chance of Champs League qualification.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    SeanT said:

SeanT..in spite of rumours to the contrary you seem to be sadly lacking in the gonad area..

Er, we're losing. I am suggesting ways we could still win.

What are the rest of you doing? Half of you mumbling about nothing, the others refusing really to believe it. A few going on about Clacton, like it really matters compared to the Partition of Britain.

Scotland is about to secede. This renders every other political event of the last forty years, since EU entry, utterly trivial. The after-effects will probably be felt by our grandchildren.

It is also the greatest blow to British prestige since Suez. Indeed I'd say it is the worst in modern history. Nothing compares to losing a third of your own country.
    Quite!
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    isam said:

I think it will be cool to be able to go to another country over land... always envied mainland Europe for that

Clearly you've never been to Northern Ireland.

And they didn't exactly relish the terrorists crossing the border at will.
  • Options
    DC seems rather a sensitive soul... will he have the time to carry out his threat?

MJ Maxwell Scott‏@mmaxwellscott·15 mins
    Tiny minority of MPs putting their swollen egos ahead of the people they serve is what's 'wrong' with SW1, @DouglasCarswell. Sound familiar?

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell·7 mins
    .@mmaxwellscott are you trolling me in your capacity as a Conservative parliamentary candidate, or just being yourself?

MJ Maxwell Scott‏@mmaxwellscott·4 mins
    @DouglasCarswell trolling is a lazy euphemism for opinion you don't like. I'm just unimpressed by your behaviour and making that known.

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell·1 min
    .@mmaxwellscott every aggressive tweet you send me will increase the amount of time I will spend in Carshalton campaigning for UKIP
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

This is founder and the man behind Wings Over Scotland. Not a Scottish voter. Lives in Bath.. pic.twitter.com/naOAljPXE7

— Alison Clark (@AlisonC1988) March 8, 2014

Another menace uncovered?
  • Options
    I do think this would astonish the world in the same way that getting rid of Churchill did in 1945.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited September 2014

This is all just a ruse to get the Nats to start paying for online access to the Sunday Times

But being canny Scots they'll cancel within the cooling off period and get their subscription refunded
  • Options
    The great betfair Sindy Ref South Sea Tulip Bubble !
  • Options

Down to 3.55 now

Only if you are Mr BigWad and viewing for a £500 stake! At £2 it's 3.65 currently...
  • Options

Down to 3.55 now

Only if you are Mr BigWad and viewing for a £500 stake! At £2 it's 3.65 currently...
    Oops.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

When Cameron goes to his first EU meeting after the Yes, will the other leaders just point at him and laugh?

When your Scottish referendum prediction proves as accurate as your President Romney forecast , I'll enjoy several minutes of mirth.

It's a faint hope now. I really wanted that double.

There are more pandas in Scotland than Yes poll leads, be of good cheer.

And as many as SNP MPs who voted against the "bedroom tax"....

The vote was not for the abolition of the bedroom tax and without government support that private member's bill is going nowhere.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

SeanT said:

The deal would have to be offered by all unionist leaders, from Brown to Miliband, Murphy to Clegg, Osborne, Cameron, everyone, and done with humility (as someone else said).

It's probably too late.

Shoot them. I mean shoot them *metaphorically*, of course, but shoot them nonetheless.
    What about Scots' representation at Westminster? It's inconceivable that they could remain as they are with devomax. At the same time I can't imagine the Scots being happy with an English parliament that would dominate the UK. The only path to stability would be regional government of some kind similar to say Germany. To be arranged in a couple of weeks? Impossible.
    Actually if it were a Yes ( we shall see ) what happens to the existing 59 MP's even as of Sep 19th? Effectively they become foreigners in waiting. Why should the burghers of Basingstoke or Bassetlaw take any notice of them any more?

I agree by the way that Devomax would have to have a quid pro quo of less Scottish MP's too.
  • Options
    "The hopeful Ukip MP, wise to his former Conservative colleagues’ campaign style, revealed to his supporters that they had been found asking Clacton locals “what they thought of the local tube service”. The nearest London Underground stop is 50 miles away from the area, leading Carswell to conclude: “I think that tells you what you need to know”.

The Tories admit they had carried out such a survey when asked by HuffPostUK, but a campaigner says: "It was a legitimate question. As Douglas would know, many Clacton residents commute to London." "

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5776998?1410023972
  • Options
    He's going to be going around a lot of Tory/UKIP constituencies if his solution to nasty tweets is to campaign against the blue-tweeters..

John Moss‏@John_J_C_Moss·10m
    @DouglasCarswell @mmaxwellscott I want to see your traitorous testicles nailed to Clacton pier on 10 October.

Tim Shipman‏@ShippersUnbound·4m
    @DouglasCarswell @John_J_C_Moss making new friends, Douglas?
  • Options

It's Miliband not Milliband. The revolting geriatric must be thinking of Milly Dowler.

Quite ..... when trying to win friends and influence people, especially possible future Prime Ministers, it's always a good idea to be able to spell their names correctly.
  • Options

He's going to be going around a lot of Tory/UKIP constituencies if his solution to nasty tweets is to campaign against the blue-tweeters..

John Moss‏@John_J_C_Moss·10m
    @DouglasCarswell @mmaxwellscott I want to see your traitorous testicles nailed to Clacton pier on 10 October.

Tim Shipman‏@ShippersUnbound·4m
    @DouglasCarswell @John_J_C_Moss making new friends, Douglas?

I'm going to start trolling the traitorous pig-dog Douglas Carswell
  • Options
    Conservative councillor

They are taking this copying ukip routine a bit too far now

Douglas Carswell (@DouglasCarswell)
    06/09/2014 19:45
    @John_J_C_Moss: @DouglasCarswell I want to see your traitorous testicles nailed to Clacton pier on 10 October.” <- Chingford Conservatives
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

If I were UKIP high command I'd be even more worried about how much time he's managing to spend on Twitter now than how much time he might spend in other constituencies after the by-election.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    edited September 2014

It's Miliband not Milliband. The revolting geriatric must be thinking of Milly Dowler.

Quite ..... when trying to win friends and influence people, especially possible future Prime Ministers, it's always a good idea to be able to spell their names correctly.
    To be honest I've often wrote Milliband rather than Miliband. The guy is such a pathetic waste of space does it matter how you spell his name? I mean seriously?

Six months into Downing St. with no Scottish MP's and I think David will have far more to worry about than what people are calling him anyway (just as well, will probably be all the names under the sun, LOL)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    @isam

There's a road south west of Clones Co Monaghan ( Republic ) where you can cross into N Ireland, back into the Republic back into N Ireland and back into the Republic again all in about five miles.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's probably too late.

Yes, perhaps impossible. But it's the last throw of the dice, so it may as well be thrown. Otherwise we lose.

Promise a deal, in a solemn declaration, that gives Scotland devomax. Force it through the Commons if necessary. This is an emergency.

Cameron and Miliband must, respectively, be staring into an abyss of darkness this evening. Cameron's epitaph sealed, Miliband's party in tatters, and crippled.
    They have said they have devomax plans after the referendum. If that's true, I see little to be lost from revealing them and committing to them now. I don't know anyone in Scotland who WANTS their MPs to have a vote on purely English matters -if they did want that, they'd vote No.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @SeanT
    Look on the bright side, you are losing 5 million benefit junkies?
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    What proportion of the referendum vote is likely to be postal? How quickly are postal votes returned? These answers could hold the key to the final no/yes split.

l
    Lets assume that of an 80% turnout half the votes are postal and the huge majority are returned within a week.The last you Gov poll excluding DK was 53 "no" 47 "yes".If tonights poll is 50:50 then the average of postal votes in the period would be 51.5:48.5.

To get an overall majority the Yes vote on polling day would have to be a 51.5 yes 48.5 a 3% lead.

It is possble that" no" could win the postal vote and "yes" the vote on polling day.
  • Options
    Where is the Queen in all this -anyone clever knows the privy council has a lot more power than is generally let on, just what has she to say about her realm being split up (I know that she is to remain Scottish Monarch for the time being, but only in the sense she remains Canada's)? Can she not bang some heads together behind the scenes?
  • Options
    Nishikori upsets Djokovic Underdog wins.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2014

According to your chum and ex-compatriot,Murdoch, Yes are the overdogs now. He fears that the Scots might chicken out though.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,950
    edited September 2014

Where is the Queen in all this -anyone clever knows the privy council has a lot more power than is generally let on, just what has she to say about her realm being split up (I know that she is to remain Scottish Monarch for the time being, but only in the sense she remains Canada's)? Can she not bang some heads together behind the scenes?

If it's the democratic "will" of Scotland to leave the Union then why should she intervene?

I imagine she may play a role in handing Cameron (and Milliband?) a large whisky and a revolver on 19th though?

• Options
    Now down to 3.45
  • Options

According to your chum and ex-compatriot,Murdoch, Yes are the overdogs now. He fears that the Scots might chicken out though.

WTF are you blabbering about?

• Options

WTF are you blabbering about?

Salmond's pal Rupert Murdoch ( one time Australian, now Yank ) thinks Yes are favourites but is worried they'll bottle it.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Now down to 3.45

And falling. Absolutely remarkable what a poll which hasn't even been verified has done. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, and I believe it does. But credible sources aside it's still remarkable that we've seen no numbers but the odds have gone from 4.6 to 3.35 on these rumours. Hope you got plenty in on 4.6 TSE, sadly I wasn't so bold.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Now down to 3.45

And falling. Absolutely remarkable what a poll which hasn't even been verified has done. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, and I believe it does. But credible sources aside it's still remarkable that we've seen no numbers but the odds have gone from 4.6 to 3.35 on these rumours. Hope you got plenty in on 4.6 TSE, sadly I wasn't so bold.
    Even if doesn't have Yes ahead, the fact No's lead has gone from 20% to around 5/6% in a month tells you what the trend is.

Yes I got on.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,128
    rogerh said:

What proportion of the referendum vote is likely to be postal? How quickly are postal votes returned? These answers could hold the key to the final no/yes split.

l
    Lets assume that of an 80% turnout half the votes are postal and the huge majority are returned within a week.The last you Gov poll excluding DK was 53 "no" 47 "yes".If tonights poll is 50:50 then the average of postal votes in the period would be 51.5:48.5.

To get an overall majority the Yes vote on polling day would have to be a 51.5 yes 48.5 a 3% lead.

It is possble that" no" could win the postal vote and "yes" the vote on polling day.

From memory about 600K postal votes sent out = about 1/7 of the total electorate of 4.2m (all figures woozy and dependent on final data give the mass registration campaigns). About 1/6 at most. Depends also on how many vote postally or in propria persona.

• Options
    Labour's proposal to cap rent increases will make Britain’s chronic housing shortage worse and push up costs for tenants, according to an influential think-tank.

The Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) said Labour’s pledge to end “excessive” rent increases was a pointless policy that would distort the market and discourage landlords from repairing their properties or renting them out at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11078886/Think-tank-criticises-pointless-Labour-rent-cap-scheme.html
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It's probably too late.

Yes, perhaps impossible. But it's the last throw of the dice, so it may as well be thrown. Otherwise we lose.

Promise a deal, in a solemn declaration, that gives Scotland devomax. Force it through the Commons if necessary. This is an emergency.

Cameron and Miliband must, respectively, be staring into an abyss of darkness this evening. Cameron's epitaph sealed, Miliband's party in tatters, and crippled.
    They have said they have devomax plans after the referendum. If that's true, I see little to be lost from revealing them and committing to them now. I don't know anyone in Scotland who WANTS their MPs to have a vote on purely English matters -if they did want that, they'd vote No.
    Full marks. And it's insane to poke a stick into the ribs of the West Lothian Question like that. The SNP know, and they don't. Labour and LDs did. Who are the idiots?

• Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    If the Sun (Murdoch) and the Daily Record (Trinity Mirror) back the same outcome, that's the one that will win.

More likely, thought, the former will back YES and the latter NO.

As for these bloody poll rumours! The rumours sound professional to me. Half the YESniks really believed Cameron had suppressed a poll showing YES in the lead.

The closer the expected result, the higher the turnout.

Murdoch's talk of being against the establishment and of libertarians and the far left is fork-tongued in the extreme. Look at Fox News. Libertarians, or Randroids as they are also known, are far effing right. Got to admit that Alex Jones did a hilarious shtick though, bellowing "We will NOT relinquish our firearms" at Piers Morgan.

A case of vote NO to stop Murdoch?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The poll better substantiate the rumours. People are paying big money on a prayer.

Who controls the electoral rolls in Scotland ?
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    I will be very sad if yes wins and still very much hope the Union can be saved. If yes does win, at the very least there should be no Scottish MPs in the government on the 19th.

As this will likely be a great shock to much of England and Wales I expect many people, myself included, would want the rUK parties to stand up forcefully for our interests. Any party who looks weak on currency union or asset sharing will not be treated kindly whenever an election comes.
  • Options
    John_N said:

If the Sun (Murdoch) and the Daily Record (Trinity Mirror) back the same outcome, that's the one that will win.

More likely, thought, the former will back YES and the latter NO.

As for these bloody poll rumours! The rumours sound professional to me. Half the YESniks really believed Cameron had suppressed a poll showing YES in the lead.

The closer the expected result, the higher the turnout.

Murdoch's talk of being against the establishment and of libertarians and the far left is fork-tongued in the extreme. Look at Fox News. Libertarians, or Randroids as they are also known, are far effing right. Got to admit that Alex Jones did a hilarious shtick though, bellowing "We will NOT relinquish our firearms" at Piers Morgan.

A case of vote NO to stop Murdoch?

Murdoch's always been a union buster.

• Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    This think tank?

"The IEA is the UK's original free-market think-tank, founded in 1955. Our mission is to improve understanding of the fundamental institutions of a free society by analysing and expounding the role of markets in solving economic and social problems."
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Electoral Registration Officers appointed by local councils, the same as in England and Wales. In most of Scotland the person they appoint is the Assessor, similar to the District Valuer down south.

• Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m
    #RUMOURED:
    YouGov #IndyRef poll:
    YES - 47% (+4)
    NO - 46% (-3)
    (DK) - 7% (-1)

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 5m
    #RUMOURED:
    YouGov #IndyRef poll (excluding DKs):
    YES - 51% (+4)
    NO - 49% (-4)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and just this morning Sean T was telling us he is always correct and I am always wrong.

Now remind me which of the two of us has been predicting YES will win the IndyRef for well over a year?
  • Options

Roger said:

"SeanT Read this account of an English couple moving back to England from Scotland due to the hostility they have received, homes vandalised and accused of stealing jobs
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2745565/Savage-racism-turning-Scotland-no-zone-English.html"

A real crap article from start to finish.

I thought you deplored ethnic cleansing. I suppose the magic word "English" stopped your habitual moralizing against such outrages.

Recent tweet ...

Iain Macwhirter ‏@iainmacwhirter · 5 hrs
    Saddened to see Gdn's @MichaelWhite citing the Daily Mail as authority when even police say #indyref campaign "overwhelmingly good-natured`"

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

If it's the democratic "will" of Scotland to leave the Union then why should she intervene?

I imagine she may play a role in handing Cameron (and Milliband?) a large whisky and a revolver on 19th though?

I'm not suggesting that she storms Edinburgh Castle, merely that she encourages a last ditch attempt to find a mutually beneficial settlement before the country cuts itself in half.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The poll better substantiate the rumours. People are paying big money on a prayer.

A case of "buy on the expectation, sell on the result"?
    Mid-price for YES at Betfair is currently 3.425, giving implied probablity 29.2%.
    I guarantee that price will fall, giving a lower implied probability, when the YouGov poll comes out tonight.

The poll will probably say 56-44, something like that, somewhere between the 57-43 where it stuck for a long time and the post-TVD2 53-47. Not much of a story really. It's going to go to the wire. The only thing that could stop that is if YES hit a big banana skin, which it's possible they will. Or if NO summon up the nous to play the bank account deposit protection card.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    It's a shame there are too few polls to put it in context in terms of if it is an outlier.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    RobD said:

It's a shame there are too few polls

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    TSE. Your headline should be "finally, some Good News for Yes!"
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    No way is it a Yes lead. 51/49 to No I reckon.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Wow,some good news today after my footy team got hammered and the Doctor who episode tonight was crap,we may get our English freedom just yet ;-)
  • Options
    John_N said:

surbiton said:

A case of "buy on the expectation, sell on the result"?
    Mid-price for YES at Betfair is currently 3.425, giving implied probablity 29.2%.
    I guarantee that price will fall, giving a lower implied probability, when the YouGov poll comes out tonight.

The poll will probably say 56-44, something like that, somewhere between the 57-43 where it stuck for a long time and the post-TVD2 53-47. Not much of a story really. It's going to go to the wire. The only thing that could stop that is if YES hit a big banana skin, which it's possible they will. Or if NO summon up the nous to play the bank account deposit protection card.

Mortgage interest rates. No one seems to hav emention that yet !
  • Options
    Bloody Asians, coming over here, changing the country for the worse

Scots Asians for Yes ‏@SAFI4yes 3h

Fantastic talking to these shopkeepers who were definate no's and now are so passionate about yes @NicolaSturgeon

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bw3NgB2IYAAE3oQ.jpg
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jesus. I NEED ADVICE.

Just realised there is going to be a huge run on the £.

This is what happened to the £ v $ after a quite bad indyref poll.
    http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=1W

Now imagine what will happen on Monday

Do any pb brainiacs know how i can convert my cash sterling savings into dollars (or whatever) in a weekend. Is it possible online?

Just keep calm. That wil do the trick.
  • Options
    John_N said:

surbiton said:

Electoral Registration Officers appointed by local councils, the same as in England and Wales. In most of Scotland the person they appoint is the Assessor, similar to the District Valuer down south.

There is a registrar in overall charge for all Scotland. She ordered 120% of ballot papers to be printed months ago, anticipating a high poll. In each of Scotland's 32 local authority areas the Council Chief Executive is the official returning officer though often it is delegated to one of his/her deputies. They are fiercely independent of political interference.

Alistair welcome to the fold. Sadly I fear you are wrong. Twitter is going crazy but the numbers quoted are all with YES in the lead by between 1 and 3.

For anyone outside Scotland trying to suggest a last ditch attempt to save the union, I fear it is too little too late as I said this morning. Blair pressed the starting pistol. Once the runners were out of the traps, there was no going back.

As for the Queen, she is very appropriately where the Queen of Scots can normally be found in August. She was at HER Highland Gathering today at Braemar and this evening she will no doubt be relaxing with a gin and dubonet at Balmoral with the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. I do wonder if on independence, there will be a move for her to revert to the regnal number of Elizabeth I of Scotland and II of the United Kingdom, which would strictly be the case post breakup.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Eck has promised them that "curry" will be the new national dish. Served with donner kebab possibly.
  • Options

John_N said:

surbiton said:

There is a registrar in overall charge for all Scotland. She ordered 120% of ballot papers to be printed months ago, anticipating a high poll. In each of Scotland's 32 local authority areas the Council Chief Executive is the official returning officer though often it is delegated to one of his/her deputies. They are fiercely independent of political interference.

Alistair welcome to the fold. Sadly I fear you are wrong. Twitter is going crazy but the numbers quoted are all with YES in the lead by between 1 and 3.

For anyone outside Scotland trying to suggest a last ditch attempt to save the union, I fear it is too little too late as I said this morning. Blair pressed the starting pistol. Once the runners were out of the traps, there was no going back.

As for the Queen, she is very appropriately where the Queen of Scots can normally be found in August. She was at HER Highland Gathering today at Braemar and this evening she will no doubt be relaxing with a gin and dubonet at Balmoral with the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke and Duchess of Rothesay. I do wonder if on independence, there will be a move for her to revert to the regnal number of Elizabeth I of Scotland and II of the United Kingdom, which would strictly be the case post breakup.
    I wasn't enquiring about her geographical whereabouts.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

YES ahead this early.

In the final 13 days of a three year campaign?

Cutting it a bit fine......
    That was always the plan, but fine no less
    Of course it was.... lol
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Evening all and just this morning Sean T was telling us he is always correct and I am always wrong.

Now remind me which of the two of us has been predicting YES will win the IndyRef for well over a year?

Stopped clocks etc

Actually yes I will give you this one: looks like you might hacve called it right. I knew it would be tight (hence my warnings) but an actual defeat? Perhaps I never wanted to predict that as it seemed so horrendous.

Kudos to you.
    SeanT

I have to go out for a while soon but can I ask you to keep up your pathetic BritNat wailing.

It really is so amusing to read and it will give me a good laugh when I look in later tonight.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Naughty Irvine.

Irvine Welsh ‏@IrvineWelsh 12 secs
    If I have one regret about this, I just wish poor Maggie was still around to see it happen.
  • Options

Wow,some good news today after my footy team got hammered and the Doctor who episode tonight was crap,we may get our English freedom just yet ;-)

The BritNats will first try to sell every English person into Scottish slavery if it keeps their beloved Union alive for a few more years.
  • Options
    What we really need now is for some English Conservative MPs to make provocative statements.

For example saying in the event of a NO vote that there will be spending cuts and tax rises imposed on Scotland from Westminster.
  • Options
    Where is the poll ?
  • Options

Naughty Irvine.

If I have one regret about this, I just wish poor Maggie was still around to see it happen.

You Nats are beginning to sound like Neil Kinnock in 1992.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Where is the poll ?

Out at 10pm
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Consensus on Twitter rumour mill seems to be 47/46/7 Y/N/DK.

Well blow me down.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    You can't convert currency (at the market rate) until the market is open on Monday when GBP will of course be lower.
  • Options

Naughty Irvine.

You Nats are beginning to sound like Neil Kinnock in 1992.
    If you think Irvine Welsh is a 'Nat', you really, REALLY know nothing about Scotland.
  • Options

The BritNats will first try to sell every English person into Scottish slavery if it keeps their beloved Union alive for a few more years.
    I agree,the sucking up of the 3 main Westminster parties will do if the vote is No,in policies and money,just to keep Scotland happy.

Please vote yes Scotland,it won't be fair on England for what you will get out of a No vote.

• Options
    Nicola Sturgeon @NicolaSturgeon
    BREAKING: @SkyNews has just reported that tomorrow's Yougov poll in Sunday Times puts #Yes narrowly ahead
  • Options

I agree,the sucking up of the 3 main Westminster parties will do if the vote is No,in policies and money,just to keep Scotland happy.

Please vote yes Scotland,it won't be fair on England for what you will get out of a No vote.

Itll just push more and more people to UKIP as the only party actually looking out for the English
  • Options

surbiton said:

Where is the poll ?

Out at 10pm
    Gonner make some sandwiches then. I've just decanted the brandy.
  • Options

Nicola Sturgeon @NicolaSturgeon
    BREAKING: @SkyNews has just reported that tomorrow's Yougov poll in Sunday Times puts #Yes narrowly ahead

Great news.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 11s

The Sunday Times poll on Scotland will be published at 9.30pm. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    lumpy 50 grand appears on betfair
This discussion has been closed.