Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : September 4th

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    isam said:

Here is Neil vs Thornberry

http://youtu.be/dC92n8ICxLM

Typical Neil. He asks people for their opinions and then talks over them to tell them why they are wrong, when he does not have the knowledge to base his view. Thornberry is a lawyer and expressed what most experts have said on the subject. But of course Neil knows more than all these experts, as he had read information on the subject.

Neil really is an egotistical knob !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It is now almost 11 05pm, so where is this gamechanging Yes lead poll then?

Not on the front page of the Record, that's for sure.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick ·
    Friday's Times front page - "Let us come home, say young British jihadists" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #IS pic.twitter.com/hJzN8KBhtD

Incredible

Emily Thornberry thinks we should let them come home then go through the proper channels to prosecute once they've bombed London.

Not making this up, watch yesterday's daily politics
    If she means "Arrest them at the airport" I'm not that against that, though I also don't object to just keeping them away. If we have an open and shut case (for example, they are identifiable from a video killing someone) then we should be able to process them quickly, and I'd rather have them in jail for 40 years than staying in Syria killing more people.
    To be fair I've just watched it again and I think I have misrepresented her a bit... It's worth watching I've never sen Andrew Neil so angry

He was arguing they should be made stateless, she was saying arrest them. At one point in the row he said "why let people in who are going to bomb us?" She aid "we should arrest them..." But I think she meant before they bomb us rather than after

Wow, I just saw this Times front page. Sorry, they've made their bed by choosing to fight for ISIS. If they come back here, they should be arrested and charged under the terrorism act, and put in prison for a long time.
    Its possible they went to Syria when the UK government was supporting the ISIS side against Assad.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

An interesting piece by Allegra Stratton:

Lib Dems push for early 2015 Budget to stop Tory 'giveaway'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29066074

Normally I'd dismiss that sort of article as journalistic froth. However, it chimes rather well with a rumour I've heard from another source, although that rumour didn't relate to the date.

Its a pretty pointless idea it seems to me. Darling's 2010 budget was 24 March, so its no great shakes. Whats the point of having it earlier? March is the date for the Budget.
    In fact its worse than a pointless idea because it shows how hopeless the LDs have been in a coalition government. All they want to do is attack their partners rather than support their jointly agreed policies. And they wonder why their vote has declined. They espoused coalition... co-operation ... but in coalition they have constantly sought differentiation.
    They have completely subverted the notion of coalition - certainky I see no reason to vote for PR which would give us constant coalition.
    And this leads us on to the notion of the LDs being in constant coalition thanks to PR. Far from being high sounding the LDs are really self serving. The tory party has been really quite selfless in tuning their back on PR and i think rightly.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2014
    hucks67 said:

isam said:

Typical Neil. He asks people for their opinions and then talks over them to tell them why they are wrong, when he does not have the knowledge to base his view. Thornberry is a lawyer and expressed what most experts have said on the subject. But of course Neil knows more than all these experts, as he had read information on the subject.

And so is Thornberry,people like her high up in the labour party is a reason why my family stopped voting labour.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's more exciting not having many polls, as JohnLoony pointed out the other day.
  • Options

Anyone else noticed the No lead has collapsed since Gordon Brown joined the campaign trail?

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics now

Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown will join forces on the campaign trail in last ditch bid to save the Union: http://bit.ly/1oJwMOE

I have to admit - this was always the big worry.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's more exciting not having many polls, as JohnLoony pointed out the other day.

Exciting but frustrating!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    hucks67 said:

isam said:

I like him... But I'm no expert on law so I defer

Personally I'd have the army kneecap them at the airport
  • Options

Its Harry Hayfield I feel sorry for. He does a lot of work which is then ignored by everybody on here.

Come on chaps at least say thank you.

Thank you.

BTW does anyone know what shithole council estate Old Dean in Surrey Heath is ?
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Just suppose the Jockanese do actually believe Ed and vote no on the basis that East Germany will be created in the UK from May 2015 onwards.

However for all the silly stuff Dave and Co have got up to, Lynton Crosby applies the Bojo magic in April 2015 and the Tories look like clear winners.

Will it not be the case that the Scottish voters will then destroy labour and vote SNP huge numbers and the Tories have a win win?

• Options
    Will there be an exit poll at 10pm on 18th September?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

No
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No
    Bloody pollsters should get their act together ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pun intended ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

No
    Exit polls cost a lot of money, and no one wants to pay for one.
  • Options

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

No
    Bloody cheapskates
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    RobD said:
    Slick :-)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

KLE4 For goodness sake, if it is a 1% Yes lead in a poll sponsored by Yes, with the polling company which has already produced the only Yes lead of the entire referendum, then this is not the time to be running around like headless chickens. Two established pollsters, yougov and Survation, have No with a 6% lead after the only event which can really have produced a bounce for Yes, the second debate. The last Panelbase for Yes was only 52-48% No, so on the same 4 point Yes bounce as the other 2 polls Yes should be 4 points ahead not one.

In any case, a yougov is due out in the ST on Sunday, which will be announced on Saturday night, so little time for the Panelbase to make an impact, if that also shows a Yes then that is the time for No to start panicking. But hopefully, with Miliband making a clear left of SNP pitch to Labour voters today Labour is finally getting its act together. The Tories have done their job for No, their voters are overwhelmingly No, as, largely, have the LDs, the SNP to be fair to them have done the same for Yes with their supporters overwhelmingly Yes. Labour has not with a third of Labour supporters now for Yes, as they have most to lose electorally it seems they have finally woken up, with Brown and Reid also making tours of the Central Belt

In many if not most elections the losing side still leads in a couple of polls, and in Quebec in 1995 Yes led in all the final polls but No still won as undecideds went for No

Obama got 51.1% of the vote in 2012 and that was good enough to put his finger on the nuclear button. He carried just 26 states compared with 24 by Romney..
    6% is enormous.

Looking at the American electoral map I do find it amjusing to see places like Georgia and the Carolinas voting Republican now. I'm sure James Longstreet would be amused as well.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

No
    Bloody cheapskates
    Plus, we already know the result. Haven't you see the Nat canvassing returns?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:
    Slick :-)
    I see what you did there.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2014
    Old Dean
    Labour 290 Con 196 UKIP 171

• Options

HYUFD said:

KLE4 For goodness sake, if it is a 1% Yes lead in a poll sponsored by Yes, with the polling company which has already produced the only Yes lead of the entire referendum, then this is not the time to be running around like headless chickens. Two established pollsters, yougov and Survation, have No with a 6% lead after the only event which can really have produced a bounce for Yes, the second debate. The last Panelbase for Yes was only 52-48% No, so on the same 4 point Yes bounce as the other 2 polls Yes should be 4 points ahead not one.

In any case, a yougov is due out in the ST on Sunday, which will be announced on Saturday night, so little time for the Panelbase to make an impact, if that also shows a Yes then that is the time for No to start panicking. But hopefully, with Miliband making a clear left of SNP pitch to Labour voters today Labour is finally getting its act together. The Tories have done their job for No, their voters are overwhelmingly No, as, largely, have the LDs, the SNP to be fair to them have done the same for Yes with their supporters overwhelmingly Yes. Labour has not with a third of Labour supporters now for Yes, as they have most to lose electorally it seems they have finally woken up, with Brown and Reid also making tours of the Central Belt

In many if not most elections the losing side still leads in a couple of polls, and in Quebec in 1995 Yes led in all the final polls but No still won as undecideds went for No

Obama got 51.1% of the vote in 2012 and that was good enough to put his finger on the nuclear button. He carried just 26 states compared with 24 by Romney..
    6% is enormous.

Looking at the American electoral map I do find it amjusing to see places like Georgia and the Carolinas voting Republican now. I'm sure James Longstreet would be amused as well.
    On signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964, LBJ lamented that this would cost Democrats the South for a generation. He underestimated.

In my home state of Georgia there is not a single statewide elected Democrat.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    hucks67 said:

isam said:

Neil is unapologetically rightwing. I like him for niche stuff like the Daily Politics, but the BBC shouldn't let him have high profile gigs like Newsnight where impartiality is required.

They only do so in a vain attempt to stop the massed ranks of Rightwing media idiots and their numbskull followers squealing about bias.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 19s

Folkestone Harvey Central (Shepway):

UKIP GAIN from Conservative
  • Options
    Gawd, twitter is pretty fun:

PolitiCrumb ‏@politicrumb 1m
    Looks like the Panelbase poll rumours is just BT playing manipulative expectation games. I'll believe it when I see it #indyref #voteyes
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    UKIP gain Folkestone
  • Options
    Crass Miliband must get his priorities right

The Labour leader's decision to try to use Ruth Davidson's words against her can only weaken the fight to stop the break-up of Britain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11076427/Crass-Miliband-must-get-his-priorities-right.html
  • Options
    Putting the address of the winning Lab candidate into google, it gives me this road
    https://www.google.it/maps/preview?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&ie=UTF-8&q=32+mitcham+road+camberley&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=51.352965,-0.720466&cbp=13,184.3,0,0,0&cbll=51.353145,-0.720445&ei=JugIVJmsJsfnaJLigdAE&ved=0CCMQxB0wAA

postal code says it is within the Old Dean ward.

Its Harry Hayfield I feel sorry for. He does a lot of work which is then ignored by everybody on here.

Come on chaps at least say thank you.

Thank you.

BTW does anyone know what shithole council estate Old Dean in Surrey Heath is ?
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 39s
    Folkestone Harvey Central (Shepway) result:
    UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%
  • Options
    RobD said:

Looks like the Panelbase poll rumours is just BT playing manipulative expectation games. I'll believe it when I see it #indyref #voteyes

This is great news for Yes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%

Labour on the slide!
  • Options

RobD said:

Hah! A phrase I haven't heard in a while, since things have actually been good for Yes :(
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 15s
    Folkestone Harvey Central (Shepway) vote result:
    UKIP - 287
    CON - 224
    LDEM - 198
    LAB - 196
    GRN - 96
    TUSC - 29

UKIP WIN!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%

Labour on the slide!
    Sleazy broken Labour on the slide, down 2 places, Con only 1
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Hah! A phrase I haven't heard in a while, since things have actually been good for Yes :(
    One of my friend's is a Scot, and he lives in England, and he says the best thing for No is the polls tightening.

His biggest fear for years has been that the polls show a big no lead, no voters stay at home thinking it is a forgone conclusion and Yes wins that way.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%

Good call by Harry! Quite something when 27.9% is enough to win the seat - can't beat FPTP for fun and games.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,260
    kle4 And judging by the Record front page it seems there is no Yes lead poll anyway
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

One of my friend's is a Scot, and he lives in England, and he says the best thing for No is the polls tightening.

His biggest fear for years has been that the polls show a big no lead, no voters stay at home thinking it is a forgone conclusion and Yes wins that way.
    Yeah, the closer it is, the higher the turnout will be. Good for democracy!
  • Options
    Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

Neil is unapologetically rightwing. I like him for niche stuff like the Daily Politics, but the BBC shouldn't let him have high profile gigs like Newsnight where impartiality is required.

They only do so in a vain attempt to stop the massed ranks of Rightwing media idiots and their numbskull followers squealing about bias.

Your doing the same,rightwing media bias,have you read your post back to yourself and you calling people numbskulls/idiots - lol
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Words simple fail me, not only does Ed Miliband turn up late to the Indy Ref debate, he then tries to use the debate to play Westminster politics. What a complete and utter pillock!

Alan Cochrane in Daily Telegraph - Crass Miliband must get his priorities right
    "Ed Miliband did himself no favours yesterday with his attempt to use some words of Ruth Davidson as a stick with which he could beat David Cameron.

The Tory leader who, as even her political opponents in Scotland concede, was "taking one for the team" when she let slip that according to the current polls a Cameron victory in next year's general election was not "likely". But like a drowning man clutching at a straw, Mr Miliband engineered a stupid story that he believed would aid his own chances next spring.

The official reason was that rubbishing the idea of a Tory victory helped the chances of a No vote in the referendum, but what the Labour leader didn't bargain on or simply ignored was the genuine annoyance his crass behaviour caused in the Better Together camp."
  • Options
    Flighpath Exactly and I see the former Republican Governor of Virginia has just been jailed
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone on here has mentioned it, but Joan Rivers died today.

I still remember seeing her many years ago on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Carson asked her if she thought men went for intelligence over looks.

She shot right back with "A man doesn't put his hand up a woman's dress looking for a llibrary card". She was very funny.
  • Options

Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

Your doing the same,rightwing media bias,have you read your post back to yourself and you calling people numbskulls/idiots - lol
    I didn't call the BBC rightwing. They're clearly the most impartial. Most of the broadcast media is OK, though not as good as the BBC.

Obviously though, the print media from which the broadcast media take their lead is utterly dominated by the Right.

Anyway, Andrew Neil is not impartial enough for high profile gigs on the BBC. He's second only to Adam Boulton in his inability to hide his Rightwing leanings.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Words simple fail me, not only does Ed Miliband turn up late to the Indy Ref debate, he then tries to use the debate to play Westminster politics. What a complete and utter pillock!

Alan Cochrane in Daily Telegraph - Crass Miliband must get his priorities right
    "Ed Miliband did himself no favours yesterday with his attempt to use some words of Ruth Davidson as a stick with which he could beat David Cameron.

The Tory leader who, as even her political opponents in Scotland concede, was "taking one for the team" when she let slip that according to the current polls a Cameron victory in next year's general election was not "likely". But like a drowning man clutching at a straw, Mr Miliband engineered a stupid story that he believed would aid his own chances next spring.

The official reason was that rubbishing the idea of a Tory victory helped the chances of a No vote in the referendum, but what the Labour leader didn't bargain on or simply ignored was the genuine annoyance his crass behaviour caused in the Better Together camp."

Unfortunately for you Tories and Unionists, Labour "playing Westminster politics" is the best chance No has got.

People brighter than you, like David Cameron, no doubt know this.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

I didn't call the BBC rightwing. They're clearly the most impartial. Most of the broadcast media is OK, though not as good as the BBC.

Obviously though, the print media from which the broadcast media take their lead is utterly dominated by the Right.

Anyway, Andrew Neil is not impartial enough for high profile gigs on the BBC. He's second only to Adam Boulton in his inability to hide his Rightwing leanings.
    I think I remember on one This Week he said he was a lapsed Republican
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Flighpath Exactly and I see the former Republican Governor of Virginia has just been jailed

He and his wife have been convicted, and will be sentenced Jan 6
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    HYUFD said:

kle4 And judging by the Record front page it seems there is no Yes lead poll anyway

Long may it continue.

UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%

Good call by Harry! Quite something when 27.9% is enough to win the seat - can't beat FPTP for fun and games.

Yes indeed. Anyone know what the lowest winning percentage anywhere has been in a FPTP election? 1992 in Inverness is apparently the lowest for the UK Parliament at 26.0%, 3.41% separating the top 4, though the same page links to an extraordinary result in Caithness in 1945 where it was:

Unionist Eric Leslie Gandar Dower 5,564 33.5%
    Labour Robert MacInnes 5,558 33.4%
    Liberal Sir Archibald Sinclair 5,503 33.1%

Caithness and Sutherland, 1945http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness,_Nairn_and_Lochaber_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caithness_and_Sutherland_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Election_in_the_1940s

I'm sure some locals can have gotten lower winning percentages though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

The tendency of presenters to puff themselves up and try to dominate the debate is a pernicious American thing which has been creeping in with Clarkson, Neil and Paxman. It's another bit of show biz conquering serious debate, and it sucks regardless of whether the presenter is left- or right-wing. If they want to express their own opinions, let them stand for office.
  • Options

The tendency of presenters to puff themselves up and try to dominate the debate is a pernicious American thing which has been creeping in with Clarkson, Neil and Paxman. It's another bit of show biz conquering serious debate, and it sucks regardless of whether the presenter is left- or right-wing. If they want to express their own opinions, let them stand for office.
    Nice balance of left and right in your examples there Nicholas
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

Just read this post again of yours - hugh posted -

They only do so in a vain attempt to stop the massed ranks of Rightwing media idiots and their numbskull followers squealing about bias

Again,what are you doing in the post above,you do make me laugh Hughie lad.

Rightwing bias everywhere - lol
  • Options

Communist prejudicing the whole USA?

Horrible lefty tactic, but I'll use it

Replace "American" with" Pakistani" and read it again
  • Options

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

They only do so in a vain attempt to stop the massed ranks of Rightwing media idiots and their numbskull followers squealing about bias

I pretty clearly said most of the broadcast media is pretty impartial you big lump of lard.

The rest of the media is a different story, obviously, no-one with a brain would try to deny that.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

hucks67 said:

isam said:

I pretty clearly said most of the broadcast media is pretty impartial you big lump of lard.

The rest of the media is a different story, obviously, no-one with a brain would try to deny that.

To the insults,you must be rattled Hughie - lol - loving it ;-)
  • Options
    Lord George Robertson just shifted some more into the yes camp.
    Said an independent Scotland would be a minor entity at the north of Britain.
    He's got to be deep undercover.
  • Options

His record in precisely avoiding the mot juste is unrivalled.
  • Options

Possible, but perhaps a better way of saying it would be to point out that the Union allows the Scots to 'piggy back' their infulence onto a wider world stage. As part of the Union the Scots have a big (bigger) say in the world.
    It may be of course that there is a kipper element to the Nats who would rather the world went away - I don't know.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

rcs1000 said:

This government's energy policy illustrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70kiQy277A

Meanwhile Germany commissioned six new coal fired power stations last year.

It is worth remembering that Germany has massive lignite (brown coal) deposits that are open pit mined very cheaply. We don't have that advantage.
    And the Germans are willing to use it and to hell with the environment.

I suspect that Angela Merkel has never had a husky hugging photostunt.

If British power stations burnt lignite they would have been closed down years ago.
    They chop down virgin swamp forests in the USA for fuel and ship it across the Atlantic instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22630815
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I did note that Jon Snow failed to make the cut on this list.
    isam said:

Nice balance of left and right in your examples there Nicholas
  • Options
    UKPR Polling average now updated to 03.09.14 showing:

Con 33%, Lab 36%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%, Greens 4%, Others 4%.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

isam said:

And so is Thornberry,people like her high up in the labour party is a reason why my family stopped voting labour.
    Ah that will be Thornberry the property mogul.

Another champagne socialist, they make me sick.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    kle4 Indeed, no reporting of Robertson comments on BBC news website or any newspaper I can see, though if he did say them he is an idiot and I am a No, Yes or No Scotland remains a great nation, night!
  • Options
    TimB Thanks for the McDonnell update
  • Options
    So no news on indyref polls?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 Indeed, no reporting of Robertson comments on BBC news website or any newspaper I can see, though if he did say them he is an idiot and I am a No, Yes or No Scotland remains a great nation, night!

He said in the referendum programme that goes out weeknights in Scotland
  • Options
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited September 2014
    Typical of the newspapers' reports of Roy Hodgson's reaction to England's awful performance against Norway at Wembley on Wednesday evening, the Daily Mail reported:

"A furious Roy Hodgson blew his top over criticism of England’s uninspiring performance in their 1-0 victory over Norway at Wembley.
    Clearly irritated when asked to comment on the fact his side had only two shots on target, Hodgson snapped back: ‘I’m not going to judge it because someone is going to tell me, “Well, you only had two shots at goal” because that is absolute f****** b*******, I’m sorry.’"

Oh dear, it would seem that Fleet Street has at last turned en bloc against Woy and once that happens the England manager has absolutely no chance of recovering the situation. Some elements of the press believe he should already have been sacked after England's miserable showing at the World Cup this summer.

For those who believe the England manager will see out his current contract, those nice people at bwin are offering odds of 8/11, for those who believe otherwise, including yours truly, they are offering even money.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    No Diane James at Eastleigh for ukip surely makes the lib Dems a bet?
  • Options
    With the Scottish referendum coming up, now is perhaps a good time to watch Jonathan Meades' excellent 2009 series "Off Kilter".

The first episode is about Aberdeen:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNbc7NeW3Wg
  • Options

Con and Lab the same, UKIP up one point.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

AndyJS said:

No
    Referendum night will be a hell of a lot more interesting in that case.
  • Options
    Eh ahm a Eh But will only have an impact if news picks it up, in any case looking at it in context he was criticising the SNP's proposals for a very small armed forces and warning what the consequences would be, so nowhere near as bad as I first thought anyway, night!
  • Options
    In that clip, George Robertson looks younger than he did 20 years ago and age 68 he doesn't have a grey hair in his head ...... ahem, quite amazing.
  • Options

Typical of the newspapers' reports of Roy Hodgson's reaction to England's awful performance against Norway at Wembley on Wednesday evening, the Daily Mail reported:

"A furious Roy Hodgson blew his top over criticism of England’s uninspiring performance in their 1-0 victory over Norway at Wembley.
    Clearly irritated when asked to comment on the fact his side had only two shots on target, Hodgson snapped back: ‘I’m not going to judge it because someone is going to tell me, “Well, you only had two shots at goal” because that is absolute f****** b*******, I’m sorry.’"

Oh dear, it would seem that Fleet Street has at last turned en bloc against Woy and once that happens the England manager has absolutely no chance of recovering the situation. Some elements of the press believe he should already have been sacked after England's miserable showing at the World Cup this summer.

For those who believe the England manager will see out his current contract, those nice people at bwin are offering odds of 8/11, for those who believe otherwise, including yours truly, they are offering even money.
    DYOR.

I tend to agree with you Peter, he is hopeless. However he is the perfect FA yes man and I'm struggling to come up with an alternative,

They won't go back to Hoddle, just leaves the likes of Bruce, Pardew and Pearce.
  • Options

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 19s

Folkestone Harvey Central (Shepway):

UKIP GAIN from Conservative

Broken, sleazy Tories on the slide?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No
    Do we have a sense of declaration times for the various councils (or counting areas)?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

In depth analysis of the first three Sunil on Sunday ELBOWs (Electoral Leader-Board of the Week) 17th/24th/31st August shows:

Lab -0.1%, Con NC, UKIP +0.9%, LD -1.3%
  • Options

DYOR.

I tend to agree with you Peter, he is hopeless. However he is the perfect FA yes man and I'm struggling to come up with an alternative,

They won't go back to Hoddle, just leaves the likes of Bruce, Pardew and Pearce.
    Nigel - should Woy lose his job I suspect that would most likely happen next summer when the F.A. would "only" have to pay out one year's compensation, plus there's always the remote possibility that he might resign in the meantime, especially if he were to keep losing his rag as he did at Wednesday's Press Conference and/or after continuously being slagged off in the papers which I fear is now in prospect (rule no. 1 as England manager - don't upset the Press or you're dead meat).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

In depth analysis of the first three Sunil on Sunday ELBOWs (Electoral Leader-Board of the Week) 17th/24th/31st August shows:

Sunil - what are your percentages for the parties, rather than their % changes over the past week?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624
    edited September 2014

AndyJS said:

Sunil - what are your percentages for the parties, rather than their % changes over the past week?
    17th Aug
    Lab 36.2, Con 33.1, UKIP 13.1, LD 8.8

24th Aug
    Lab 37.1, Con 33.5, UKIP 13.0, LD 8.5

31st Aug
    Lab 36.0, Con 33.2, UKIP 14.0, LD 7.5

OK, looks like due to rounding, Con actually +0.1%, Lab -0.2%.
    UKIP still +0.9%, LD still -1.3.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Long may it continue.

UKIP - 27.9% (+27.9)
    CON - 21.7% (-17.3)
    LDEM - 19.2% (+2.3)
    LAB - 19.0% (-9.1)
    OTH - 12.1%

Yes indeed. Anyone know what the lowest winning percentage anywhere has been in a FPTP election? 1992 in Inverness is apparently the lowest for the UK Parliament at 26.0%, 3.41% separating the top 4, though the same page links to an extraordinary result in Caithness in 1945 where it was:

Unionist Eric Leslie Gandar Dower 5,564 33.5%
    Labour Robert MacInnes 5,558 33.4%
    Liberal Sir Archibald Sinclair 5,503 33.1%

Caithness and Sutherland, 1945http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverness,_Nairn_and_Lochaber_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caithness_and_Sutherland_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Election_in_the_1940s

I'm sure some locals can have gotten lower winning percentages though.
    There was one in Cornwall recently where the winning candidate got less than 20%.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m

Turnout in the Carfax (Oxford) by-election is 8.6%. That's a record low.

Students don't return for another 4 weeks.
    Rather cynical of Labour to call the by-election before the students return... or did they have no choice?

I know it's a difficult issue, but I've never really been in favour of allowing students to register to vote at their university. They are transient members of the community.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No
    Do we have a sense of declaration times for the various councils (or counting areas)?
    If you look at my Scottish prediction spreadsheet, you can see how many total votes are likely to be cast in each council area or alternatively the electorate or population.
    The ones with the fewest votes are obviously more likely to declare first, with the possible exception of remote places like Orkney and Shetland. Western Isles is usually a quick declarer, incidentally.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBxvVgbyO_msx2eJxVbUlh6MubdD4-fZ-UIBFkwNIaI/htmlview?usp=drive_web
  • Options
    Clackmannanshire has a small population/electorate so maybe that will be first, although it's likely to be close IMO so I assume that would lead to a recount and delay things.
  • Options
    "Now that Douglas Carswell is Nigel’s bitch, he will perpetually be picking up the political equivalent of prison soap."

UKIPs Roger Lord demonstrating his metrosexual charm, there. (And his suitablility as a candidate)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/04/nigel-farage-candidate-ukip-clacton-douglas-carswell?commentpage=1
  • Options
    sorry, ex-UKIP, I should have said
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No
    If you look at my Scottish prediction spreadsheet, you can see how many total votes are likely to be cast in each council area or alternatively the electorate or population.
    The ones with the fewest votes are obviously more likely to declare first, with the possible exception of remote places like Orkney and Shetland. Western Isles is usually a quick declarer, incidentally.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fBxvVgbyO_msx2eJxVbUlh6MubdD4-fZ-UIBFkwNIaI/htmlview?usp=drive_web
    Hi, that's good. Where are you getting your predictions from?

Maybe it would be handy to compare results with the 1997 Referendum?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No

Thanks, I wonder if you could add a sheet where you can enter results as they come in, it will fill in the undeclared regions and project a result. The more results in, the more accurate it becomes (obviously).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No

Thanks, I wonder if you could add a sheet where you can enter results as they come in, it will fill in the undeclared regions and project a result. The more results in, the more accurate it becomes (obviously).
    That's what I'm angling for also. Perhaps the UNS swing from? 1997? and/or a lead required to overturn the current position (as I've used effectively in United States primary elections).
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No

That's what I'm angling for also. Perhaps the UNS swing from? 1997? and/or a lead required to overturn the current position (as I've used effectively in United States primary elections).
    Well I was thinking scaling from a comparison between Andys projection and the actual result.
  • Options
    First Person View Of A Motorcyclist's Death...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq2xStb0R-c#t=182

WARNING:- Disturbing. Released by Norfolk Police with the family's permission.
  • Options
    Rod: they're just my personal predictions. I've tried to take as many different "influences" into account, including the 1997 referendum results.

Doing a scaling between my predictions and the result is one idea, except it'll go wrong if I'm embarrassingly wide of the mark, which is very possible.

• Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No

Yes I'm thinking of doing something like that. Difficult to believe the media won't do something similar but you never know.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

He was convicted on 11 counts, his wife on 9 - going from memory.

He was offered a plea deal to plead to 1 count and his wife to go free. He turned it down. Bad move.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Are they looking at jail time?
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

He was offered a plea deal to plead to 1 count and his wife to go free. He turned it down. Bad move.
  • Options
    It is a drive that the party badly needs – but some argue it is already too late. There is strong evidence that growing numbers of traditional Labour supporters are intending to vote Yes in the referendum, angry at how the party has aligned itself with the Conservatives on certain issues. A YouGov poll this week revealed that support for independence among Labour voters had risen from 18 per cent to 30 per cent in the past month. A Blantyre passer-by distilled the party's problem into a two-word insult: “Labour Tories!”

One lifetime Labour supporter at the speech, who declined to be named, said Mr Miliband should stand down as leader in the event of a Yes vote. “I think he’s a nice chap, but a lot of the MPs they’ve brought in up here are not streetwise. You have to be able to talk to people on the street and be able to understand what they’re saying,” she said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-ed-miliband-fails-to-impress-the-people-of-labourfounder-keir-hardies-home-town-9712564.html
  • Options

Are they looking at jail time?

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

major jail time
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Saif Rahman ‏@SaifRRahman 19h
    "Kuffars In The Grave"
    A Little Poem by a young Muslim in today's apologist Britain..
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=229_1407616814#rce2eb1JdfmmtJOD.99

A pretty little song.
This discussion has been closed.