Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s Local By-Election Preview : September 4th

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

Yeah, we put principle before partisan advantage (and weren't ready for Nick Clegg's perfidy over boundary changes)

The only principle apparent was a desire to beg the question as much as possible. Most arguments boiled down to AV being contemptible because it sometimes gives diffierent results from FPTP.

As I recall from the leaflets distributed in my area, such arguments were rather less prominent than the picture of a smiling Nick Clegg on the front.
    Speedy said:

@TSE "The omen for 2015" about the AV result is that the dim-witted Tories face an election under a electoral system which gives all the benefits to Labour. This was blindingly obvious at the time yet the blue team pressed ahead with a campaign that was totally against the party's interests.

Interesting that a key player for NO in that referendum was Dan Hodges..

The Tories were against because they campaigned against the coalition and the idea of coalitions.
    They won because the public was also against coalitions ironically after the bitter experience of this government.
    That seems rather unlikely to me - the Coalition had been in power for barely a year by that point, not really enough for people to get that many bitter experiences from it. Many disliked it on principle and early signs, sure, but not enough to explain the scale of the No victory or be a primary reason for it I think.
    The LD slumped early on and so did satisfaction with the government.
    Further proof of the tory campaign against coalitions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUxilWb2Og
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Another big ukip name stands in a difficult seat?

Steven Woolfe MEP (@Steven_Woolfe)
    04/09/2014 20:46
    BREAKING: Tonight I am proud to have been selected to fight the Labour held seat of #STOCKPORT at #UKElection2015
  • Options

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 6s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up one to four points: CON 32%, LAB 36%, LD 7%, UKIP 16%

UKPR' s polling average showing Labour with a 3% lead over the Tories has not been updated this week and therefore Stephen Fisher's 2015 GE seats projection on which it is based is unlikely to show any material changes tomorrow morning.
  • Options

RobD said:

Highest UKIP YouGov for a while?

They polled 16% last week with YouGov
    Do you know how many times ukip have bettered 16% with YouGov?
  • Options
    isam said:

BREAKING: Tonight I am proud to have been selected to fight the Labour held seat of #STOCKPORT at #UKElection2015

I can't see Stockport being anything other than a Lab hold.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Yeah, we put principle before partisan advantage (and weren't ready for Nick Clegg's perfidy over boundary changes)

The only principle apparent was a desire to beg the question as much as possible. Most arguments boiled down to AV being contemptible because it sometimes gives diffierent results from FPTP.

As I recall from the leaflets distributed in my area, such arguments were rather less prominent than the picture of a smiling Nick Clegg on the front.
    Speedy said:

@TSE "The omen for 2015" about the AV result is that the dim-witted Tories face an election under a electoral system which gives all the benefits to Labour. This was blindingly obvious at the time yet the blue team pressed ahead with a campaign that was totally against the party's interests.

The Tories were against because they campaigned against the coalition and the idea of coalitions.
    They won because the public was also against coalitions ironically after the bitter experience of this government.
    That seems rather unlikely to me - the Coalition had been in power for barely a year by that point, not really enough for people to get that many bitter experiences from it. Many disliked it on principle and early signs, sure, but not enough to explain the scale of the No victory or be a primary reason for it I think.
    The LD slumped early on and so did satisfaction with the government.
    Further proof of the tory campaign against coalitions:

htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aUxilWb2Og
    I don't doubt the Tories were against coalitions, and certainly the LD voted slumped significantly immediately, but that is not a reaction against the bitter experience of a coalition government, but merely a reaction to the reality of it, as only in a few areas had the government done anything of substance in 1 year, and much of that is hardly because of the impact of coalition politics.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

I find it amazing that a city such as Oxford doesn't have a *single* Conservative councillor. Even more so that it hasn't for over 10 years.

You'd have thought there'd at least be one or two professional/middle class pockets in a city of that size in south-east England.

Don't know about Oxford, but in my patch Labour is dominant in the most professional middle-class area (Beeston West). By contrast, the Tories are dominant in a prosperous commuter area (Nuthall). The London equivalents would be Islington vs Barnet. I'd guess that Oxford doesn't have many middle-class commuters (where would they commute to?).

YG is basically still drifting - UKIP slightly up, but were slightly down yesterday.

Who is this Susanna Reid of whom you speak, TSE?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I find it amazing that a city such as Oxford doesn't have a *single* Conservative councillor. Even more so that it hasn't for over 10 years.

You'd have thought there'd at least be one or two professional/middle class pockets in a city of that size in south-east England.

Oxford registered the lowest Con share in the SE in the Euros, and Cambridge in the Eastern region.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

O/T
    ISIS militant with an apparent US Army tattoo

twitter.com/RisingTruth1/status/507087321725140993/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwmJOt1CUAArDPf.jpg

Looks like a faked photo to me.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 6s

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead up one to four points: CON 32%, LAB 36%, LD 7%, UKIP 16%

The Carswell defection effect is now clear, UKIP are up to a 14-16% range.
    Am I the only one to notice the LD's are getting gradually lower in yougov?
    Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynnmep ·
    Another 16% for UKIP on Sun/YouGov tonight. You thought you had seen "peak UKIP" in May? Truth is we are just getting started

I think that Carswell has unlocked the LD vote for UKIP again after the whole "racist" press attacks drove them away.
  • Options
    isam said:

Jesus the woman beheaded in Edmonton was 82. How could anyone do this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2743651/Woman-beheaded-machete-London-garden.html

Probably drugs, allegedly.
  • Options
    isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

17% in June 2014 and May 2013
  • Options

Don't know about Oxford, but in my patch Labour is dominant in the most professional middle-class area (Beeston West). By contrast, the Tories are dominant in a prosperous commuter area (Nuthall). The London equivalents would be Islington vs Barnet. I'd guess that Oxford doesn't have many middle-class commuters (where would they commute to?).

YG is basically still drifting - UKIP slightly up, but were slightly down yesterday.

She's a former BBC News/Breakfast Presenter, she's now a ITV Breakfast show presenter, she was on Strictly last year, and a MILF (If you don't know what a MILF is, don't google it)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Not *all* the benefits. The Tories won 47% of seats on 36% of the vote.

And, look at tonight's poll. Under PR, that gives Labour 240 or so, Con 215, UKIP 110, Lib Dem 50. The Conservatives lose 90 seats, and would be forced into coalition with UKIP. Fine by me, but do you think they'd welcome it.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

That will be a safe Labour seat after 2015.
    He should have stood in Altrincham and Sale West.
    Or even better, Cheadle.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    Twitter seems to think it is a 1% lead for Yes..
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Yes Oxford must be one of the very few places that has a CON MP but not a CON councillor

Probably because it contains so much of Vale of White Horse and Abingdon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_West_and_Abingdon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

The 2010 result must of really hurt OGH.
  • Options
    Watching Fox News... It's like nothing I've seen... Chatting like Essex people in a cafe

The guy didn't on now didn't know whether it was Rotherham or Rotterdam
  • Options

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

Sounds good although there has been a methodology change I think?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

Last week it boosted UKIP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Concerning. I'm extremely worried that pessimistic No supporters, dispirited that so many despite/don't care for the Union even if they eke out a win, will lack the spirit to rally and reverse the recent momentum if they see a Yes lead this far out.

• Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

That will be a safe Labour seat after 2015.
    He should have stood in Altrincham and Sale West.
    Or even better, Cheadle.
    His bro plays for County!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Woolfe
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Concerning. I'm extremely worried that pessimistic No supporters, dispirited that so many despite/don't care for the Union even if they eke out a win, will lack the spirit to rally and reverse the recent momentum if they see a Yes lead this far out.

Well we'll have to see the questions. The Panelbase/SNP poll last year had 1% lead, in contrary to all other polls.
  • Options
    @TSE

It's a great clip! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Well we'll have to see the questions. The Panelbase/SNP poll last year had 1% lead, in contrary to all other polls.
    This far out, and in conjunction with polling and therefore a narrative of a surge for Yes, even a dodgy poll could have bigger consequences than that one I fear.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

It had a methodology that Panelbase themselves admitted could have some effect on the Indyref question
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

Yes I know that's what I meant, no need to get touchy
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

By about 1%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

I wasn't being touchy, you asked a question, I replied.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?
    I am very affected by the mere rumour of polls to come on twitter indicating a possible Yes lead for the indyref in the coming days. I suspect I lack the stomach for proper political betting.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Ukip's Elizabeth Jones Completely Loses It On Radio And Screams At Guest To Shut Up

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/04/ukips-elizabeth-jones_n_5767266.html?ncid=whatsapp_politics

Elisabeth Jones looks the sort of person Nigel likes to have around him. I'm sure she will be forgiven.
    Was she screaming, 'I am unashamedly elitist' ? Carswell wants to put an end to the political elites doesn't he?
  • Options
    HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?
    A panelbase poll for Yes Scotland and or the SNP
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302

This government's energy policy illustrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70kiQy277A

Meanwhile Germany commissioned six new coal fired power stations last year.

It is worth remembering that Germany has massive lignite (brown coal) deposits that are open pit mined very cheaply. We don't have that advantage.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited September 2014
    kle4 said:

HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?
    I am very affected by the mere rumour of polls to come on twitter indicating a possible Yes lead for the indyref in the coming days. I suspect I lack the stomach for proper political betting.
    If you think that's bad, I have visions of totally buggering up the Indyref betting markets.

I'll probably be one of the first people to see the YouGov indyref poll for the Sunday Times, and transposing the Yes and No figures in my post on here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Sad news about Joan Rivers. Also, just went for a nose to Cardiff Castle tonight, as well as the usual SWP protestors, commendable that some for 'free Kurdistan, no more ISIS' too
  • Options

kle4 said:

HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?
    If you think that's bad, I have visions of totally buggering up the Indyref betting markets.

I'll probably be one of the first people to see the YouGov indyref poll for the Sunday Times, and transposing the Yes and No figures.
    Just double and triple check :')
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?

I'll probably be one of the first people to see the YouGov indyref poll for the Sunday Times, and transposing the Yes and No figures.
    My check will be to preface it with Sleazy Broken Nats or Unionists on the slide.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:

HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?

My check will be to preface it with Sleazy Broken Nats or Unionists on the slide.
    Nats/Unionist[delete as appropriate]
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Twice

I wasn't being touchy, you asked a question, I replied.
    Hahhaha
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited September 2014
    Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Friday's Daily Mirror front page - "Gran, 82, beheaded in her back garden" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/ZymgUgL7Ih

The mirrors front page as a photo of the poor woman.

• Options

Ukip's Elizabeth Jones Completely Loses It On Radio And Screams At Guest To Shut Up

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/04/ukips-elizabeth-jones_n_5767266.html?ncid=whatsapp_politics

Elisabeth Jones looks the sort of person Nigel likes to have around him. I'm sure she will be forgiven.
    Was she screaming, 'I am unashamedly elitist' ? Carswell wants to put an end to the political elites doesn't he?
    Immigration loving Carswell?
  • Options
    RIP Joan Rivers.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

HanDodges said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

What poll is this?

Nats/Unionist[delete as appropriate]
    Last year, I emailed Mike the YouGov figures from the Sunday Times, as I usually do.

It was something like Lab 37, Con 34.

Unfortunately I transposed the Con figure, so Mike got the figures Lab 37, Con 43
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

I imagine someone else has noticed this at some point today, but even with my copious freetime I have not the energy to check, but I see TSE's twitter feed was referenced on Buzzfeed today regarding the puppies and kitten debate in Parliament.

What's the bet it's selected for Nighthawks?

But Kerry McCarthy's tweet was better:

Alec Shelbrooke has just revealed that his dogs are called Boris & Maggie, and that Boris behaved much better after he had him castrated.

LOL!
  • Options
    @TSE

Okay - thanks. Worrying. Yes appears to have the mo.
  • Options
    Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick ·
    Friday's Times front page - "Let us come home, say young British jihadists" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #IS pic.twitter.com/hJzN8KBhtD
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

This was blindingly obvious at the time yet the blue team pressed ahead with a campaign that was totally against the party's interests.

Shocking.

A party stands up for what it believes is the national interest.

Not what is in its selfish interest.

You've been in the Lib Dems too long, Mike... lost all sense of right and wrong
  • Options

She's a former BBC News/Breakfast Presenter, she's now a ITV Breakfast show presenter, she was on Strictly last year, and a MILF (If you don't know what a MILF is, don't google it)
    Got me thinking of the gorgeous bikini clad 30 something brunette who came to the door a few years back when out canvassing. Phew! (Don't tell Nick)

• Options
    KLE4 For goodness sake, if it is a 1% Yes lead in a poll sponsored by Yes, with the polling company which has already produced the only Yes lead of the entire referendum, then this is not the time to be running around like headless chickens. Two established pollsters, yougov and Survation, have No with a 6% lead after the only event which can really have produced a bounce for Yes, the second debate. The last Panelbase for Yes was only 52-48% No, so on the same 4 point Yes bounce as the other 2 polls Yes should be 4 points ahead not one.

In any case, a yougov is due out in the ST on Sunday, which will be announced on Saturday night, so little time for the Panelbase to make an impact, if that also shows a Yes then that is the time for No to start panicking. But hopefully, with Miliband making a clear left of SNP pitch to Labour voters today Labour is finally getting its act together. The Tories have done their job for No, their voters are overwhelmingly No, as, largely, have the LDs, the SNP to be fair to them have done the same for Yes with their supporters overwhelmingly Yes. Labour has not with a third of Labour supporters now for Yes, as they have most to lose electorally it seems they have finally woken up, with Brown and Reid also making tours of the Central Belt

In many if not most elections the losing side still leads in a couple of polls, and in Quebec in 1995 Yes led in all the final polls but No still won as undecideds went for No
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sad news about Joan Rivers. Also, just went for a nose to Cardiff Castle tonight, as well as the usual SWP protestors, commendable that some for 'free Kurdistan, no more ISIS' too

Cardiff has felt like Berlin before the wall came down with all the fencing. Glad protests, so far have been friendly.
  • Options
    HanDodges said:

@TSE

Okay - thanks. Worrying. Yes appears to have the mo.

Losing Scotland -

Could this mean a disaster for Ed ;-)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    An interesting piece by Allegra Stratton:

Lib Dems push for early 2015 Budget to stop Tory 'giveaway'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29066074

Normally I'd dismiss that sort of article as journalistic froth. However, it chimes rather well with a rumour I've heard from another source, although that rumour didn't relate to the date.
  • Options
    Anyone else noticed the No lead has collapsed since Gordon Brown joined the campaign trail?

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics now

Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown will join forces on the campaign trail in last ditch bid to save the Union: http://bit.ly/1oJwMOE
  • Options
    Had a good evening out canvassing the other night, apart from one guy who's screaming abuse at one of my fellow canvassers, usual effing Tony Blaiir etc could be heard the other side of the Severn Bridge. We put him down as undecided!
  • Options

Friday's Times front page - "Let us come home, say young British jihadists" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers #IS pic.twitter.com/hJzN8KBhtD

Incredible

Emily Thornberry thinks we should let them come home then go through the proper channels to prosecute once they've bombed London.

Not making this up, watch yesterday's daily politics
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    valleyboy said:

Got me thinking of the gorgeous bikini clad 30 something brunette who came to the door a few years back when out canvassing. Phew! (Don't tell Nick)

Some years ago, a gorgeous woman in her underwear answered the door when I was canvassing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

Anyone else noticed the No lead has collapsed since Gordon Brown joined the campaign trail?

Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown will join forces on the campaign trail in last ditch bid to save the Union: http://bit.ly/1oJwMOE

When will George and Dave get involved?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This government's energy policy illustrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70kiQy277A

Meanwhile Germany commissioned six new coal fired power stations last year.

It is worth remembering that Germany has massive lignite (brown coal) deposits that are open pit mined very cheaply. We don't have that advantage.
    And the Germans are willing to use it and to hell with the environment.

I suspect that Angela Merkel has never had a husky hugging photostunt.

If British power stations burnt lignite they would have been closed down years ago.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    isam said:

Incredible

Emily Thornberry thinks we should let them come home then go through the proper channels to prosecute once they've bombed London.

If she means "Arrest them at the airport" I'm not that against that, though I also don't object to just keeping them away. If we have an open and shut case (for example, they are identifiable from a video killing someone) then we should be able to process them quickly, and I'd rather have them in jail for 40 years than staying in Syria killing more people.
  • Options
    Rupert alert:
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 49m
    Fox News is describing Nigel Farage as the man "who could be Britain's next prime minister". Ukip is doing well, but not that well.

Chances of The Sun doing a totally non surprising endorsement?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited September 2014

When will George and Dave get involved?
    When George got involved with his currency union veto, No's lead increased with most pollsters.

If Yes take the lead, he's our secret weapon.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Some years ago, a gorgeous woman in her underwear answered the door when I was canvassing.
    I remember an anecdote at the vote-uk site where a canvasser was met by a bloke wearing slippers and only slippers. The bloke assured the canvasser of his support but couldn't stop to chat as he was in the middle of "giving the wife one".

• Options

Friday's Daily Mirror front page - "Gran, 82, beheaded in her back garden" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/ZymgUgL7Ih

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11075380/Woman-beheaded-in-north-London-garden.html

One line of inquiry for detectives is now understood to be whether the man had been inspired by recent footage of the Isil beheadings of two US journalists in Syria.
    Locals last night claimed the arrested man had converted to Islam last year.

I read today that's the third London woman beheaded in the last six months.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Eastleigh UKIP select Patricia Culligan for GE2015:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CulliganPA
    https://mobile.twitter.com/UKIP_Eastleigh

What happened to Diane James?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Yes, canvassing can be a slog, but it can have its compensations!

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Was she undecided?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

I remember an anecdote at the vote-uk site where a canvasser was met by a bloke wearing slippers and only slippers. The bloke assured the canvasser of his support but couldn't stop to chat as he was in the middle of "giving the wife one".

Lol

• Options
    Blueberry said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11075380/Woman-beheaded-in-north-London-garden.html

One line of inquiry for detectives is now understood to be whether the man had been inspired by recent footage of the Isil beheadings of two US journalists in Syria.

Also in a news report I heard,the man was dressed in all black.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    AndyJS said:

Eastleigh UKIP select Patricia Culligan for GE2015:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CulliganPA
    https://mobile.twitter.com/UKIP_Eastleigh

What happened to Diane James?

If that is true, UKIP lost Eastleigh. She sounds and looks like Jen from The IT Crowd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMt3Zizcyms
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m

Carfax (Oxford):

Labour HOLD.

Carfax (Oxford) result:

LAB - 44.2% (+11.8)
    LDEM - 26.6% (+3.3)
    GRN - 16.6% (-9.9)
    CON - 6.3% (-11.6)
    UKIP - 6.3% (+6.3)

Britain Elects @britainelects · 16m

Turnout in the Carfax (Oxford) by-election is 8.6%. That's a record low.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick · 57 secs
    Friday's Sun front page - "'Muslim convert' beheads woman in garden" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/LnxUpvKHLV
  • Options
    Front page of the Daily Record (guest edited by Alex Salmond)

No evidence of any poll

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwuGKFHIIAAnSoW.png
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited September 2014
    Eck's Daily Record front page.

http://twitpic.com/eba4ks
  • Options
    valleyboy Indeed, totally fenced off an full of police trying to keep the 'No Nato, no more war, Free Palestine' lot contained while the leaders arrive in black limousines and by helicopter largely anonymously and 'blink and you'll miss it!'
  • Options

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m

Turnout in the Carfax (Oxford) by-election is 8.6%. That's a record low.

Students don't return for another 4 weeks.
  • Options
    TSE/bigjohnowls This is all second debate bounce which like most bounces should wear off, Brown actually increased Labour's vote in Scotland in 2010, he is an asset for No who can connect to the swing Labour voters. Cameron and Osborne should stay as far away as possible, the Tory vote is already sewn up for No!
  • Options
    Quincel said:

isam said:

Incredible

If she means "Arrest them at the airport" I'm not that against that, though I also don't object to just keeping them away. If we have an open and shut case (for example, they are identifiable from a video killing someone) then we should be able to process them quickly, and I'd rather have them in jail for 40 years than staying in Syria killing more people.
    To be fair I've just watched it again and I think I have misrepresented her a bit... It's worth watching I've never sen Andrew Neil so angry

He was arguing they should be made stateless, she was saying arrest them. At one point in the row he said "why let people in who are going to bomb us?" She aid "we should arrest them..." But I think she meant before they bomb us rather than after

• Options
    The 3 people who voted in Carfax have spoken

Labour 168 (44.2%,)
    LibDem 101 (26.3%)
    Green 63 (16.6%)
    UKIP 24 (6.3%)
    Con 24 (6.3%)

• Options
    Here is Neil vs Thornberry

http://youtu.be/dC92n8ICxLM
  • Options
    ..."worthy of a substantial number of your points..."

LOL.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,077
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Did she give you her vote?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Its Harry Hayfield I feel sorry for. He does a lot of work which is then ignored by everybody on here.

Come on chaps at least say thank you.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Yes, had a few like that, invariably agreeably nonchalant about it too. The most worrying one, though, was soberly dressed at first. She invited me in "to clarify a few points", and then turned down the light and took her jacket off. Possibly just making herself comfortable, but I remembered an urgent engagement (to be precise, I'd recently got engaged)...

• Options

Blueberry said:

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick · 57 secs
    Friday's Sun front page - "'Muslim convert' beheads woman in garden" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/LnxUpvKHLV
    It's got to the stage now where I feel sorry for the Muslim apologists... They just keep getting let down
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

HYUFD said:

Cardiff has felt like Berlin before the wall came down with all the fencing. Glad protests, so far have been friendly.
    Some people have moaned and I have to say I found it a little odd walking over the Taff today to be met by 20 police officers some of them carrying machine guns. Not quite the 'matchday' feel in town.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

KLE4 For goodness sake, if it is a 1% Yes lead in a poll sponsored by Yes, with the polling company which has already produced the only Yes lead of the entire referendum, then this is not the time to be running around like headless chickens. Two established pollsters, yougov and Survation, have No with a 6% lead after the only event which can really have produced a bounce for Yes, the second debate. The last Panelbase for Yes was only 52-48% No, so on the same 4 point Yes bounce as the other 2 polls Yes should be 4 points ahead not one.

In any case, a yougov is due out in the ST on Sunday, which will be announced on Saturday night, so little time for the Panelbase to make an impact, if that also shows a Yes then that is the time for No to start panicking. But hopefully, with Miliband making a clear left of SNP pitch to Labour voters today Labour is finally getting its act together. The Tories have done their job for No, their voters are overwhelmingly No, as, largely, have the LDs, the SNP to be fair to them have done the same for Yes with their supporters overwhelmingly Yes. Labour has not with a third of Labour supporters now for Yes, as they have most to lose electorally it seems they have finally woken up, with Brown and Reid also making tours of the Central Belt

In many if not most elections the losing side still leads in a couple of polls, and in Quebec in 1995 Yes led in all the final polls but No still won as undecideds went for No

You will probably be proved right, it's just on this issue my pessimism gets the better of me, most likely because even with a No win the issue is not settled in all likelihood. My worry is that enough No supporters with an actual vote are similarly dispirited to be put off. I hope that proves untrue. Let us hope for a Quebec.
  • Options
    It is now almost 11 05pm, so where is this gamechanging Yes lead poll then?
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 13s
    Old Dean (Surrey Heath):
    Labour HOLD.
  • Options
    isam said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Incredible

To be fair I've just watched it again and I think I have misrepresented her a bit... It's worth watching I've never sen Andrew Neil so angry

He was arguing they should be made stateless, she was saying arrest them. At one point in the row he said "why let people in who are going to bomb us?" She aid "we should arrest them..." But I think she meant before they bomb us rather than after

Wow, I just saw this Times front page. Sorry, they've made their bed by choosing to fight for ISIS. If they come back here, they should be arrested and charged under the terrorism act, and put in prison for a long time.
  • Options

Eck's Daily Record front page.

http://twitpic.com/eba4ks

Jim McColl
    Favourite city, Monaco.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Yes, had a few like that, invariably agreeably nonchalant about it too. The most worrying one, though, was soberly dressed at first. She invited me in "to clarify a few points", and then turned down the light and took her jacket off. Possibly just making herself comfortable, but I remembered an urgent engagement (to be precise, I'd recently got engaged)...

Not prepared to go the extra mile for your party then?
  • Options
    TSE So I think we can safely say there is no Yes lead, if Salmond is editing the Record tomorrow, he would beam the paper and 'YES LEAD' onto the moon if he could!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Rupert alert:
    Tim Montgomerie ‏@TimMontgomerie 49m
    Fox News is describing Nigel Farage as the man "who could be Britain's next prime minister". Ukip is doing well, but not that well.

Amusing stuff. I suppose they like to see anti-establishment (supposed) right wingers doing really well (ok, not in Westminster terms yet, but the Euro win has certainly given them genuine standing that they have build upon well)

• Options

Its Harry Hayfield I feel sorry for. He does a lot of work which is then ignored by everybody on here.

I usually say thanks to Harry.
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Incredible

Wow, I just saw this Times front page. Sorry, they've made their bed by choosing to fight for ISIS. If they come back here, they should be arrested and charged under the terrorism act, and put in prison for a long time.
    Then you woke up Rob and remembered we live in soft touch Britain. ;-)

• Options

Sean_F said:

valleyboy said:

Made your excuses and left. In the great tabloid reporter in a brothel situation.

• Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Incredible

We hung Lord Haw-Haw for less.
  • Options

Now now, there was some discussion of the contests earlier, not least the complete absence of Tory councillors in Oxford. Granted, probably not enough thanks for a tedious job well done, but more read than comment of course.
This discussion has been closed.