Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Away from the IndyRef – today’s Populus poll sees UKIP up 4

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Away from the IndyRef – today’s Populus poll sees UKIP up 4% to a record high for the firm

This follows an increase in the UKIP share in the ComRes online poll for IoS/S Mirror – published at the weekend and the last YouGov poll have Farage’s party up from its average for the month of about 12% to 14%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited August 2014
    Sleazy broken LibLabConOthers on the slide.
  • Options
    Broken sleazy Europhiles on the slide?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Broken sleazy Greens on the slide?
  • Options

If you're not up, then you're on the slide.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

No change on the last poll and about 200% better than the last GE result. Some slide!
  • Options
    Neil said:

No change on the last poll and about 200% better than the last GE result. Some slide!
    Yup, they are on course to outpoll the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    The UKIPalypse cannot be stopped!

FPT: F1: perhaps surprisingly (I didn't realise this) Whitmarsh was still technically team principal of McLaren, until today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28934043

Less surprisingly, the FIA aren't going to take action against Rosberg:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28934044
  • Options

Neil said:

Just pay out now! ;)

• Options
    Pfffffft.

A vote for UKIP will seem like a much worse idea in the polling booth as the words "Vote silly, get Mili" echo in the punters' ears.

Still think it's hilarious that Farage has been suckered into standing in Thanet. This will be, what, his sixth failed attempt at getting into Parliament?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,956
    It seems the "Friday prayers" of UKIP have been answered.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Maybe UKIP get a boost because no parties get much publicity in August ie create a level playing field re the media
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    FPT
    TheScreamingEagles said:

In natworld, this another Southern Tory Jessie

Paddy Power Politics ‏@pppolitics 1m

Despite Alex Salmond winning the debate, one Northern England punter placed £10,000 on the Socts to vote NO to independence (1/6) #indyref

A very stupid one who obviously has too much money. Very very poor odds given the current position , but if you are stupid and viewing it via newspapers in England he probably thinks he will make a pittance.
    In short a real TURNIP.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Just pay out now! ;)

I'm thinking about extending my stake!
  • Options

Maybe UKIP get a boost because no parties get much publicity in August ie create a level playing field re the media

From vacuum cleaners being banned by the EU to home grown ISIS terrorists the UKIP pitch continues to write itself.
  • Options

Still think it's hilarious that Farage has been suckered into standing in Thanet.

Where do you think he should have stood?
  • Options

Neil said:

Neil said:

Just pay out now! ;)

I'm thinking about extending my stake!
    Feel free!

• Options
    Neil said:

Still think it's hilarious that Farage has been suckered into standing in Thanet.

A minefield?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''From vacuum cleaners being banned by the EU to home grown ISIS terrorists the UKIP pitch continues to write itself. ''

Juncker's hectoring the UK about wimmin as the eurozone crashes into recession and deflation in my personal favourite.

Let's face it, we are spoiled for choice.
  • Options
    Robert Cumber ‏@HounslowBob 18m

EXCLUSIVE. Boris has declared he will stand in #Uxbridge & South #Ruislip. Application has been lodged this morning.
    @MayorofLondon
  • Options

Pfffffft.

A vote for UKIP will seem like a much worse idea in the polling booth as the words "Vote silly, get Mili" echo in the punters' ears.

Still think it's hilarious that Farage has been suckered into standing in Thanet. This will be, what, his sixth failed attempt at getting into Parliament?

Vote NO [Indyref], get Ed!

:)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Off topic I know.
    Having just returned from a Norwegian holiday, I noticed this on the BBC website (How Norway has avoided the 'curse of oil'):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28882312

Anybody else agree that the UK should have done something similar rather than using the oil money to close down manufacturing?
  • Options
    If true this means, on average, that for every 9 voters out there 1 of them would vote Green or Yellow. Dear me. To quote Ripley from Aliens: 'Did IQs drop sharply while I was asleep?'.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Looking at this UKIP polling and I'm glad I took Mike's advice other day and got on 2/1 for Labour win.

Still can't see Ed M as PM though.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
  • Options
    Patrick said:

If true this means, on average, that for every 9 voters out there 1 of them would vote Green or Yellow. Dear me. To quote Ripley from Aliens: 'Did IQs drop sharply while I was asleep?'.

ahem

Green and Lib Dem voters are cleverest, says research

A paper published in the journal Intelligence makes fascinating reading

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2008/nov/03/greenpolitics-liberaldemocrats
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    IS in Iraq and British politicians being measured and statesmanlike. Ukip move up a little as expected.

All it needs now is for some deranged left winger to complain that IS are being vilified. Or a right winger to accuse them of being racist bigots. Then - ching, ching - another boost for the Kippers.

But they can't stop themselves, can they?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Studies have shown that the voters with the highest IQs are Green party voters. Closely followed by Lib Dems voters.

• Options
    Paddy Power Politics ‏@pppolitics 2m

Betting suspended on #BorisJohnson constituency. Latest news is that he is applying to be the Uxbridge & South Ruislip candidate....
  • Options

Betting suspended on #BorisJohnson constituency. Latest news is that he is applying to be the Uxbridge & South Ruislip candidate....

I hope people got on at 4/1 even after he said he was standing.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Nowhere, he'd lose wherever he stood. He couldn't even beat Bercow when everyone else had stood down FGS.

He should do what he did in Newark, which was bottle it and let someone else look foolish in failure, on the basis that he's an MEP and needs to keep filling his pock ---- er, er, representing his constitchents.

It doesn't say a lot for his judgement that he couldn't spot an obvious hospital pass.
  • Options

Off topic I know.
    Having just returned from a Norwegian holiday, I noticed this on the BBC website (How Norway has avoided the 'curse of oil'):

Anybody else agree that the UK should have done something similar rather than using the oil money to close down manufacturing?

Wiiliam Keegan. See his book, Britain Without Oil.
  • Options

Neil said:

Nowhere, he'd lose wherever he stood. He couldn't even beat Bercow when everyone else had stood down FGS.

He should do what he did in Newark, which was bottle it and let someone else look foolish in failure, on the basis that he's an MEP and needs to keep filling his pock ---- er, er, representing his constitchents.

It doesn't say a lot for his judgement that he couldn't spot an obvious hospital pass.
    Sorry, I wont make the mistake of asking you a serious question ever again.

• Options
    Neil said:

I did.

I think it 1/41 on the Tories winning Uxbridge is the definition of a risk free return.
  • Options
    Are there any studies out there proving a negative correlation between IQ and common sense then? Maybe I can get some EU funding to conduct research into the IQ / Effwit connundrum.

(I bet Ed Miliband has a high IQ and Hollande too.)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:
    The only trouble with this being that Labour would have p<ssed every penny away within moments of getting into power. Why gift them the chance to do that?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Are there any studies out there proving a negative correlation between IQ and common sense then?

Feel free to tell us yours so we can start the study.
  • Options

Neil said:

I did.

I think it 1/41 on the Tories winning Uxbridge is the definition of a risk free return.
    I'm wondering if Ladbrokes will still have Labour at 1-100 the night before the GE in East Ham.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,324
    edited August 2014
    UKIP 'no seats at GE' on Betfair can be layed at 9/5 (2.8).

I would have thought anything under 2/1 (3.0) is a bit of a gift. Paddy P have Farage at 4/5 to win Thanet South. That in itself is a decent enough bet but there are other perfectly plausible UKIP wins around, unless they go into reverse between now and next May.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:
    The only trouble with this being that Labour would have p
    Er, so we should run down our finances every time it looks like Labour will win?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Off topic I know.

This is an absurd comparison because we never had anywhere near as much oil per capita as Norway had. Norway invested a lot in public services and elsewhere before it started putting major money away in its investment fund.

As for "using our money to close down manufacturing", that's also absurd. The manufacturing losses under Thatcher were unprofitable and only operating at government subsidy. Closing them down thus didn't cost money, it made it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    Neil said:

Patrick said:

Are there any studies out there proving a negative correlation between IQ and common sense then?

Feel free to tell us yours so we can start the study.
    My common sense is off-the-chart high! :-)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Sorry, I wont make the mistake of asking you a serious question ever again.

I can't help it if you don't like the answer.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    It's nice to see UKIP are gaining at Labour and the Lib Dems' expense as well as the Tories.

All three of the establishment parties need to accept that they need action on the EU and immigration else their voters are up for grabs.

"We're hearing your concerns" just won't cut it. They're going to have to tell us how they are going to cut immigration further. From what I hear from Labour they're actually going to reverse some of the Tories' new limits.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,029
    CD13 said:

IS in Iraq and British politicians being measured and statesmanlike. Ukip move up a little as expected.

All it needs now is for some deranged left winger to complain that IS are being vilified. Or a right winger to accuse them of being racist bigots. Then - ching, ching - another boost for the Kippers.

Surely it would be a deranged RIGHT winger who’d sympathise with IS. After all it’s they who provide the religious zealots, etc.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:
    The only trouble with this being that Labour would have p
    Er, so we should run down our finances every time it looks like Labour will win?
    If one thought like Labour, yes. Labour always and deliberately wrecks the public finances so they can campaign on a platform of "Say No to Tory cuts".

Periodically it gets so bad that they lose anyway and the Tories then repair the economy. Labour needs a Tory victory from time to time so they can do this, enabling Labour to get back in and f>ck it again.

If you leave Labour an economy in any shape it will always make it worse. There is absolutely no reason you would hand over a big stash of cash as well.
  • Options
    On Boris. What an utter idiot he is.

Wanting to overturn centuries of legal principles for a cheap populist headline.

Who does he think he is? Tony Blair

I'm definitely in the Jeremy Hunt/Sajid Javid for next Tory leader camp now.

When Boris attacked Blair's "astonishing" assault on the right to trial
    In 2005, the Mayor argued that the right to a fair trial "must remain an inalienable principle of our law".

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/08/when-boris-attacked-blairs-astonishing-assault-right-trial

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    The more radical muslims create havoc in the world the greater the ukip share. Not that this helps the problem of course!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349

Off topic I know.

I don't think that is a meaningful question. By 1979 the UK was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy (Labour government, weird coincidence no doubt). Our whole economy needed major restructuring as the old subsidised model had been run into the ground. The UK used the oil money to finance that restructuring which included paying a lot in benefits while we found other things we could sell to the world like financial services.

If we had had a competitive economy in 1979 it would have been better to build a fund like Norway and keep the surplus demand out of the economy thus keeping the pound at a lower level and protecting some of our manufacturing.

But we didn't. We had had a generation of politicians of both parties that had screwed our economy, we had Unions that were completely out of control and we had a class ridden management structure that was spectacularly incompetent.

A case can be made that the UK wasted the oil income but it is a difficult and complex case that needs to recognise where we were and what the options were.

• Options

I would have thought anything under 2/1 (3.0) is a bit of a gift. Paddy P have Farage at 4/5 to win Thanet South. That in itself is a decent enough bet but there are other perfectly plausible UKIP wins around, unless they go into reverse between now and next May.

Sometimes I think people come in here just to do a bit of partisan trolling rather than assessing odds etc.

More posts like this people - the site is politicalbetting.com not politicaltrolling.com
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Eagles, a presumption of guilt is excessive but we do need strong measures to try and safeguard the country from hundreds of madmen.

That said, I was less amused than depressed that the Government was being attacked for not reintroducing control orders. Control orders do have the benefit of being tougher than the stupidly named TPIMS, but also have the significant drawback of being illegal.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It's nice to see UKIP are gaining at Labour and the Lib Dems' expense as well as the Tories.

All three of the establishment parties need to accept that they need action on the EU and immigration else their voters are up for grabs.

"We're hearing your concerns" just won't cut it. They're going to have to tell us how they are going to cut immigration further. From what I hear from Labour they're actually going to reverse some of the Tories' new limits.

Still 0 UKIP seats on UNS.

I wouldn’t bet on that, though. I don’t think Nasty Nige will get in, but someone less well-known could welll sneak in under the radar.
  • Options

I think my most optimal result is in the extremes.

Either zero or 6 plus seats.

Great Grimsby at 16/1 was an utter bargain

• Options
    Socrates said:

Off topic I know.

This is an absurd comparison because we never had anywhere near as much oil per capita as Norway had. Norway invested a lot in public services and elsewhere before it started putting major money away in its investment fund.

As for "using our money to close down manufacturing", that's also absurd. The manufacturing losses under Thatcher were unprofitable and only operating at government subsidy. Closing them down thus didn't cost money, it made it.
    I take the point that the oil money would have had a smaller effect here because our population is much larger, so we would not have become millionaires However, the Norwegians used their windfall to improve infrastructure then build up a sovereign wealth fund, we used ours to keep the pound high which hit manufacturing. Cameron's Tories are trying to reverse some of this now.
    BTW why call opinions you disagree with 'absurd'?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:
    Would have meant not being able to spend it all on London though
  • Options

Socrates said:

I wouldn’t bet on that, though. I don’t think Nasty Nige will get in, but someone less well-known could welll sneak in under the radar.
    If UKIP gain 1 seat only, it'll be Tim Aker in Thurrock.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We had had a generation of politicians of both parties that had screwed our economy, we had Unions that were completely out of control and we had a class ridden management structure that was spectacularly incompetent.

There is some evidence that British industry was targeted by the KGB in the 1960s and 1970s. Jack Jones was a Soviet agent, Hugh Scanlon probably was, Scargill took Libyan money in the 1980s so GOK what was happening before then, at least one Soviet defector in a position to know said Wilson was an agent and Michael Foot accepted Soviet money as well.

If this was indeed the strategy then it was nearly very successful.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, a presumption of guilt is excessive but we do need strong measures to try and safeguard the country from hundreds of madmen.

That said, I was less amused than depressed that the Government was being attacked for not reintroducing control orders. Control orders do have the benefit of being tougher than the stupidly named TPIMS, but also have the significant drawback of being illegal.

We have excellent existing laws.

Abu Hamza was mostly prosecuted and convicted under 1861 offences against the person act.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    ''I'm definitely in the Jeremy Hunt/Sajid Javid for next Tory leader camp now.''

It's amazing how 'centuries of legal principles' are vital when it comes to defending the rights of terrorists, but can be disregarded completely when it comes to the ancient rights of ordinary citizens to face HMRC in court before their savings are summarily confiscated.

And people wonder why UKIP are soaring. Where's the ceiling? with this going on, I'm not sure there is one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Off topic I know.

I don't think that is a meaningful question. By 1979 the UK was teetering on the edge of bankruptcy (Labour government, weird coincidence no doubt). Our whole economy needed major restructuring as the old subsidised model had been run into the ground. The UK used the oil money to finance that restructuring which included paying a lot in benefits while we found other things we could sell to the world like financial services.

If we had had a competitive economy in 1979 it would have been better to build a fund like Norway and keep the surplus demand out of the economy thus keeping the pound at a lower level and protecting some of our manufacturing.

But we didn't. We had had a generation of politicians of both parties that had screwed our economy, we had Unions that were completely out of control and we had a class ridden management structure that was spectacularly incompetent.

A case can be made that the UK wasted the oil income but it is a difficult and complex case that needs to recognise where we were and what the options were.

Yes, lets vote to keep lining Tory pockets with what is left. Helped along by Labour stooges and faux socialist helpers.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak · 30 secs
    New report: more than 1,400 children may have been groomed while in care of Rotherham council between 1997 and 2013

woah....that's a massive number. Appalling
  • Options

New report: more than 1,400 children may have been groomed while in care of Rotherham council between 1997 and 2013

Groomed for sex or terrorism ?
  • Options
    Have to say whenever the word "grooming" is used I always get a mental picture of an Afghan Hound being brushed at Crufts.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

Are we looking at the same Thurrock?

2010 scores:

Con 16,869
    Lab 16,777
    LD 4,901
    UKIP 3,390

What result will deliver this seat to UKIP? It looks nailed on for Labour to me.

• Options
    Have to say whenever the word "grooming" is used I always get a mental picture of an Afghan Hound being brushed at Crufts.

For me its baboons picking insects out of each other.
  • Options

>6 is as likely as zero, imo TSE, and available at much better odds.

Cleethorpes at 33/1 is my great hope. In to 7/1 when I last checked.
  • Options
    taffys said:

And people wonder why UKIP are soaring. Where's the ceiling? with this going on, I'm not sure there is one.

About 5% roughly.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    DavidL said:

Off topic I know.

Well said, Mr. L., well said. I particularly like, "We had a class ridden management structure that was spectacularly incompetent", the sad thing that even after nearly forty years management of UK companies is still grossly incompetent though perhaps a little less class based. The unions are no longer out of control, at least in the private sector, but still do all to often, seem to be locked into the same mindset as they had in the 1970s.
  • Options

Good luck.

This morning's story, does make me wonder about UKIP's strategy and nous.

If they think Aylesbury or Forest of Dean are viable targets, then they are headed for zero.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

2010 scores:

Con 16,869
    Lab 16,777
    LD 4,901
    UKIP 3,390

What result will deliver this seat to UKIP? It looks nailed on for Labour to me.

I've taken as much 8-11 Labour as Paddy Power allowed me as well as my 16-1 on UKIP here. It will be close on the night, don't think the Conservatives will win it.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Pulpstar said:

Groomed for sex or terrorism ?
    BBC says:

"About 1,400 children were subjected to "appalling" sexual exploitation in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013, a report has found.

Children as young as 11 were raped by multiple perpetrators, abducted, trafficked to other cities in England, beaten and intimidated it said.

The report was commissioned by Rotherham Borough Council in 2013.

Five men from the town were jailed for sexual offences against girls in 2010."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-28939089

This must have been a huge cover-up to go unnoticed - an average of 87 children per year! Also shows well organised links between communities in the various towns.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2014

Cleethorpes? - really?

2010 result:

Con 18,939
    Lab 14,641
    LD 8,192
    UKIP 3,194

We know that so far a lot of LDs are going red. So if the LD vote drops by half, and that all goes to Lab, Labour will be on give or take 19,000 votes or so.

A win in Cleethorpes thus entails UKIP not only losing no votes at all from 2010 - despite the obvious risk of letting Labour in - but picking up 16,000 of the Conservatives' 19,000-odd votes from last time.

I know it was33:1 but even that doesn't seem enough. 333:1 maybe? 7:1 is lunacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

2010 scores:

Con 16,869
    Lab 16,777
    LD 4,901
    UKIP 3,390

Thurrock’s been changing it’s demographics for some time. Still a lot of traditional WWC but now plus a lot of new, relatively low-cost housing. Lot of dissatisfaction ..... local hospital moved to Basildon, dock jobs at Tilbury containerised and so on. LD’s have never been in the running there, but at one time BNP were quite strong. IIRC they had a couple of council seats.
  • Options

taffys said:

About 5% roughly.

They'll get more than 5%.
  • Options

Good luck.

If they think Aylesbury or Forest of Dean are viable targets, then they are headed for zero.
    UNS won't help much with predicting UKIP's results, which are likely to reflect the character of their leader - eccentric but interesting.

No, I can't see Aylesbury or FoD going kippy, but Pulpstar may well be barking up the right tree with Thurrock.

Ever been there?

• Options
    Staggered at the scale of abuse in Rotherham. 1,400 over 16 years. 157 reports of abuse last year. 3 convicted. Mainly children in care. Police and Council knew about it.
    God help the victims.
  • Options

Cleethorpes? - really?

2010 result:

Con 18,939
    Lab 14,641
    LD 8,192
    UKIP 3,194

We know that so far a lot of LDs are going red. So if the LD vote drops by half, and that all goes to Lab, Labour will be on give or take 19,000 votes or so.

A win in Cleethorpes thus entails UKIP not only losing no votes at all from 2010 - despite the obvious risk of letting Labour in - but picking up 16,000 of the Conservatives' 19,000-odd votes from last time.

I know it was33:1 but even that doesn't seem enough. 333:1 maybe? 7:1 is lunacy.
    Presumably the shortening is a reflection of the money that punters, possibly misguided, are actually putting on the result.
  • Options

Good luck.

UNS won't help much with predicting UKIP's results, which are likely to reflect the character of their leader - eccentric but interesting.

No, I can't see Aylesbury or FoD going kippy, but Pulpstar may well be barking up the right tree with Thurrock.

Ever been there?

I'm on Thurrock, but I've never been, I've been to Rayleigh in Essex, and Ilford, but that was nearly 20 years ago.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited August 2014

taffys said:

About 5% roughly.

I'll give you evens on under 6% at the GE if you want, up to quite a generous bet limit too. Interested?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

DavidL said:

Off topic I know.

Well said, Mr. L., well said. I particularly like, "We had a class ridden management structure that was spectacularly incompetent", the sad thing that even after nearly forty years management of UK companies is still grossly incompetent though perhaps a little less class based. The unions are no longer out of control, at least in the private sector, but still do all to often, seem to be locked into the same mindset as they had in the 1970s.
    HL:

Most of the company management with which I am familiar is very professional and very lean. However, this pattern still seems to be missing from much of the public sector.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2014
    @Financier live press conference on BBC News 24 on this.
  • Options

Good luck.

Ever been there?

I'm on Thurrock, but I've never been, I've been to Rayleigh in Essex, and Ilford, but that was nearly 20 years ago.
    Once every twenty years is about right for Ilford, a little less frequently for Rayleigh, I would suggest.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    From the previous thread: "Seema Malhotra, the Labour MP for Feltham and Heston, will be working with the party’s Women’s Safety Commission drawing up new laws to be implemented if it wins next year’s general election.

As part of the shadow Home Secretary’s team, she will work on issues including female genital mutilation, forced marriage, sexual violence, trafficking and prostitution."

We don't need more laws. We need proper enforcement of the ones we already have and a determined effort by schools / social services and others to stop this happening.

I long for a politician who realises that enforcement of the law is what's needed. Any fool can make a speech or pass a law. But neither will achieve anything without hard, patient work day in day out to deal with the problem.

On the other hand, if we have to rely on authorities such as Rotherham Council, then there's zero chance of any girl/woman at risk being helped.
  • Options
    @Bond

If only all the 33/1 bets I placed went to post at 7/1, James.....
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Must be Help Yorkshire Lawyers Day in Rotherham.
  • Options
    Financier said:

DavidL said:

Off topic I know.

HL:

Most of the company management with which I am familiar is very professional and very lean. However, this pattern still seems to be missing from much of the public sector.
    LOL, Tory parasites criticise public services
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

From the previous thread: "Seema Malhotra, the Labour MP for Feltham and Heston, will be working with the party’s Women’s Safety Commission drawing up new laws to be implemented if it wins next year’s general election.

As part of the shadow Home Secretary’s team, she will work on issues including female genital mutilation, forced marriage, sexual violence, trafficking and prostitution."

We don't need more laws. We need proper enforcement of the ones we already have and a determined effort by schools / social services and others to stop this happening.

I long for a politician who realises that enforcement of the law is what's needed. Any fool can make a speech or pass a law. But neither will achieve anything without hard, patient work day in day out to deal with the problem.

On the other hand, if we have to rely on authorities such as Rotherham Council, then there's zero chance of any girl/woman at risk being helped.

Rotherham Child Protection Board must have been a sinecure for which no work was done. Perhaps Seema Malhotra might tell us all what this body was supposed to do.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

taffys said:

About 5% roughly.

I'll give you evens on under 6% at the GE if you want, up to quite a generous bet limit too. Interested?
    Lol!

I know it's a betting Site, Quincy, but swiping sweets from kiddies is still to be frowned upon.

He can do a lot better than that through Oddschecker.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Socrates said:

2010 scores:

Con 16,869
    Lab 16,777
    LD 4,901
    UKIP 3,390

I've taken as much 8-11 Labour as Paddy Power allowed me as well as my 16-1 on UKIP here. It will be close on the night, don't think the Conservatives will win it.
    Indeed - there will be some LDs going back to Labour, and whether or not any Cons go to UKIP, the former alone will gift the seat to Labour.

I don't really have time to investigate it, but I have a feeling that just because UKIP did better than its national mean in a certain seat last time, that doesn't mean it has good prospects in that seat next time. It's more likely, IMHO, that there's a certain proportion of the punters who share UKIP's neuroses, and once they've got all of them voting UKIP, the seat is played out, with no more improvement possible.

They have showed no sign so far of achieving a critical mass anywhere that would deliver them any seat. In 2010 their best results anywhere - ignoring Buckingham where only two parties stood - were Christchurch and Devon East, where they got about 6% of the vote in strongly Tory seats. They only managed 5% or better in 12 seats. All but 3 are strongly Tory held; UKIP turned those three from blue to red.

This observation implies a rough cap on what they might ever poll nationally. Predictions of seats on 2015 imply a belief that they will take their best performances in any seat in 2010 and repeat it in marginals. It just seems very unlikely.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    dr_spyn said:

Must be Help Yorkshire Lawyers Day in Rotherham.

Is there going to be a report into why the authorities who were charged with responsibility for those childen ("in care" indeed!) and enforcing the law failed in their duties? Did anyone blow the whistle? Were they ignored? Or did no-one see/say or do anything? Heads should roll really.

And how do we know that the same or similar is not happening / has not happened in other authorities? We know, for instance, that a notorious paedophile advised past governments on how to organise childrens' homes.

If we can have Prime Ministerial apologies for Bloody Sunday and Hillsborough then we should be having the same for this. These children were vulnerable and needed protection and were let down by those authorities charged with looking after them. It is a basic and tragic failure and utterly shaming.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    “Labour Member of Parliament Yasmin Qureshi has caused outrage after comparing the idea of young British Muslims joining ISIS to the idea of young Jewish Britons joining the Israel Defence Forces.

Qureshi, who has previously had to apologise for offence caused by comparing the situation in Gaza to the Holocaust, also claimed that most British Muslims going to Iraq and Syria were going for “humanitarian reasons” in a bizarre Sky News interview yesterday.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/26/Sick-Yasmin-Qureshi-On-IDF-and-ISSI/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Only yesterday, there was the whole thing about new legislation for drunk and abuse people in A&E....we already have laws against this and you can be fined for it...but the plod never enforce it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,056
    Cameron should immediately announce several things:

1) that victims will get compensation from the state that has let them down.
    2) that the care system in England (UK?) will be thoroughly overhauled.
    3) Immediate disbandment of South Yorkshire Police and Rotherham Council (especially the social care teams). Their work to be undertaken by other forces and councils whilst they are reconstituted.
    4) Another inquiry into the care system in the UK, along with beefed up inspections.
    5) Increased funding, visibility and role for Childline or a.n.other reporting mechanism. Whenever any allegation is reported to a person in authority, it is their hot potato and they break the law if it is dropped or ignored.

Okay, one of those is half in jest.

But most of all: we need to help the victims.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Still, we shouldn't be too critical of Rotherham Council. At least they were zealous in ensuring children were not fostered by UKIP members.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

CD13 said:

Surely it would be a deranged RIGHT winger who’d sympathise with IS. After all it’s they who provide the religious zealots, etc.
    It's the left of this country who defend Islamic fundamentalists. It always has been. Religion doesn't come into it. Just recently we had the Guardian saying that these "youths" who have gone out there are just angry and misunderstood. On the right I think we are all in agreement that they are evil and a threat to our national security. I wonder where Ed Miliband is on all of this. He has been conspicuous in his silence. Doesn't want to risk offending one of his major voter segments I guess.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

taffys said:

About 5% roughly.

I'm already on but at rather better than that!

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

We need to see more polls, of course, but the theory was that UKIP would fade after the May Euros and headed for GE2015.

Well these numbers suggest that that is not happening.

You quote three polls in the thread header. There have probably been more than 100 polls since the May Euro elections. We have enough polls to have a good idea of what has happened to UKIP support since May.

Although dominated by the YouGov polls, the wikipedia summary shows that UKIP support has declined since the May Euros, but that it has declined by less than it declined after the 2013 local elections, although it peaked at about the same level. This suggests that UKIP support in 2014 is firmer than it was in 2013.

Furthermore, we can see that the Conservatives and Labour have benefited roughly equally from UKIP's decline, such that the Labour lead has remained stable at an average of 3.5%. The Labour lead is down from about 5.5% (August 2013) and 10% (August 2012) if we look further back in time.

The Liberal Democrats are flatlining at their lowest (since 2010) sustained poll score of 8% - Clegg's brave debate gamble appears to have lead to the Lib Dems shedding another two percentage points.

Quite where this leaves us for the 2015 general election is anyone's guess. The chart shows that people will change their minds in reaction to events and there is time enough left for a few of those. Absent a major black swan my guess would be: Lib Dem ~ 10%, UKIP > 10%, Labour < 35%, Conservative > 30%.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A few days ago it emerged that UKIP apparently expect to win 3 to 6 seats.

The 6 most like in my opinion are Thanet South, Boston, Great Grimsby, Great Yarmouth, Thurrock, Castle Point. (It's possible Rotherham may be one of them in place of Castle Point although I doubt it).
  • Options

Good luck.

Ever been there?

Once every twenty years is about right for Ilford, a little less frequently for Rayleigh, I would suggest.

Don't diss Ilford, man! (I'm there every weekend!!)
    Last time I went to Thurrock was beginning of November (Lakeside!).
    Not been to Rayleigh, but passed through on the Southend Victoria train (again last year).
  • Options

Good luck.

Ever been there?

Rayleigh’s OK, apart from the appalling traffic management system in the town centre.
This discussion has been closed.