Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON take lead with ICM as Ukip drop 7 points

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

Much more to come on cabinet reshuffle. including one very major, unexpected change.

Osborne and Cameron switch jobs?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036
    MikeP said:

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

Much more to come on cabinet reshuffle. including one very major, unexpected change.

For Labour's sake I hope it won't be Osborne, Gove or IDS getting sacked.
    What, Osborne, simultaneously the country's most popular politician AND most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy. ;-)
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

John Major to be Foreign Sec or EU Commisioner?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    How about Hague and Osborne swap jobs?

Hague rates very well with the public - would be a good idea I think.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Assuming it is Hague, I also assume this will be announced at 9.55-10.05 this evening...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

I get a feeling that this reshuffle will be presented in terms of building the team for the second term. Putting in place people who can spend the next 5 years in place.

Or at least that is how I would present such a major shift in personnel!

Or 5 years having to watch from the opposition benches as the two Eds implement their vision.
    For that to be possible, the Eds would have to have a vision. Which if they have got, they are keeping very well hidden.
    Well they can implement something, even if it is without vision. I get the feeling, and perhaps I am harsh on such people, that former SPaD wonks that populate much of the leadership groups of our political parties have, even before becoming MPs, spent so much time obsessed over the business of partisan political squabbling, that they don't have as much time for things like vision. They trust that the party they have served professionally without distraction for so long will come up with the right ideas for the country when they are in power, having a coherent ideology or vision before getting into power just draws attention away from the task of winning. Future them can worry about a vision.

• Options

Solicitor General also leaving the government. So complete shake-up of the Law Officers

I'm beginning to worry that Stephen Phillips QC is going to be promoted.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788

Solicitor General also leaving the government. So complete shake-up of the Law Officers

I'm beginning to worry that Stephen Phillips QC is going to be promoted.
    Hopefully it'll be Geoffrey Cox QC
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My phone keeps ringing, Dave - I know you read PB too but I've said no, I don't like red boxes... I prefer pb's yellow ones.

Stick the FCO job.
  • Options
    People should use #reshuffle, so all the tweets can be in one place.
  • Options

My phone keeps ringings, Dave - I've said no, I don't like red boxes... I prefer pb's yellow ones.

Stick the FCO job.

Dave, I take back all those threads and times I've said you're crap.

You are the modern day Julius Caesar.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeL said:

How about Hague and Osborne swap jobs?

Hague rates very well with the public - would be a good idea I think.

Andrew Neil tweets that GO is staying COE.

Hague to The EU ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @LordAshcroft: Hague has no ambition to lead the Tory Party again so what is left in Govt for him? His stage is now the world's so don't be surprised if..
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    @LordAshcroft: Hague has no ambition to lead the Tory Party again so what is left in Govt for him? His stage is now the world's so don't be surprised if...
  • Options

My phone keeps ringing, Dave - I know you read PB too but I've said no, I don't like red boxes... I prefer pb's yellow ones.

Stick the FCO job.

Avery, please photoshop your avatar to have George holding up a yellow box.
  • Options
    Getting ever more likely I reckon.

Lord Ashcroft‏@LordAshcroft·2 mins
    Hague has no ambition to lead the Tory Party again so what is left in Govt for him? His stage is now the world's so don't be surprised if...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Oh FFSake Its going to happen isn't it - Obvious 25-1 winner was obvious. Jesus ><
  • Options
    Woman Foreign Sec? Who could it be if so?
  • Options
    Just saw a tweet (obviously not based on any rumour or anything) putting Rees Mogg and minister in the same sentence. While I'd quite enjoy that, I don't think it would go down with the general theme of the reshuffle!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Oh FFSake Its going to happen isn't it - Obvious 25-1 winner was obvious. Jesus ><</p>

Indeed, we remember Hague's speech about Mr. President when Gordon B was the PM, this would all come together nicely if he ended up, not President but not too shabby a role...
  • Options

They need to appoint both the AG and the SC though.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mad Nad.

or if we're going for box ticking window dressing

Priti P.
  • Options
    BETTING POST

You can get 11/4 on William Hague NOT to be Foreign Sec until the GE

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1477610
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,170

RobD said:

Mad Nad.

or if we're going for box ticking window dressing

Priti P.
    She'd be insufferable!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,240

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Bloody hell, looks like Dominic Grieve has been given the heave ho, I'm still fuming at Edward Garnier's axe in 2012

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 50s

Strange to see Dominic Grieve, attorney general, leaving Cameron office at 6pm looking crestfallen

Why do you think he went? I'd have thought he was on the same wavelength as Cameron.
    Grieve is in favour of the ECHR, I think the new Tory policy will be to be anti ECHR, and so the new justice and Law Officers team will be proper Euro-sceptics wanting repatriate powers back and enshrine the Supremacy of our laws over European laws.
    If so, 'tis a pity. A government that's bound only by its own conscience is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if they are doing it for the finest of motives, it's still making themselves into tinpot gods. If Parliament is supreme...who stops them when they decide to start hurting people for fun?

The people stop them. It's called democracy. Who stops the ECHR hurting people for fun?
    Democracy is the method used to select those who wield power. It doesn't stop them using that power to hurt you. Other countries instal a safeguard to stop them going nuts (that's the function of a constitution), but the UK doesn't have one that fits the definition. Outside agencies like the various european and international courts are the only practical constraints that prevent HMG going Taliban. By removing the remaining constraints from the powerful you're building a machine with only one "stop" button that takes five years to activate. This is inherently unwise.

An example of a machine that was built without proper safeguards in the last 20 years was the Euro, but we seem to be ignoring that lesson. We seem to be governed by the equivalent of cowboy builders, sawing thru a loadbearing wall.

As for your second question ("Who stops the ECHR hurting people for fun?"), the answer is that the ECHR is a passive agency, not a muscle: it can stop you doing something or it can enable you to do something, but it cannot make somebody hurt you. Governments can.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

HUGE rumours about William Hague. Euro Commissioner? HIs majority is humungous and not UKIP territory.

It ought to be held, but there would he a huge swing to UKIP in a by-election.
  • Options

Has Olly Heald gone too?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HUGE rumours about William Hague. Euro Commissioner? HIs majority is humungous and not UKIP territory.

Hague nearly lost the by-election in 1989
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeP said:

Andrew Neil ✔ @afneil

For Labour's sake I hope it won't be Osborne, Gove or IDS getting sacked.
    Slightly better, don't give up.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    It is all building up to a 9.55 big announcement - ready to take the 10pm news broadcasts by storm
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2014

Has Olly Heald gone too?
    Not shocked by that, I think he has had a health issue of late, according to local press. No idea what.
  • Options
    Rumours that Gove could become Home or Foreign Sec
  • Options

FCO would suit him better, I think.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

Bloody hell, looks like Dominic Grieve has been given the heave ho, I'm still fuming at Edward Garnier's axe in 2012

Strange to see Dominic Grieve, attorney general, leaving Cameron office at 6pm looking crestfallen

Why do you think he went? I'd have thought he was on the same wavelength as Cameron.
    Grieve is in favour of the ECHR, I think the new Tory policy will be to be anti ECHR, and so the new justice and Law Officers team will be proper Euro-sceptics wanting repatriate powers back and enshrine the Supremacy of our laws over European laws.
    If so, 'tis a pity. A government that's bound only by its own conscience is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if they are doing it for the finest of motives, it's still making themselves into tinpot gods. If Parliament is supreme...who stops them when they decide to start hurting people for fun?

The people stop them. It's called democracy. Who stops the ECHR hurting people for fun?
    Democracy is the method used to select those who wield power. It doesn't stop them using that power to hurt you. Other countries instal a safeguard to stop them going nuts (that's the function of a constitution), but the UK doesn't have one that fits the definition. Outside agencies like the various european and international courts are the only practical constraints that prevent HMG going Taliban. By removing the remaining constraints from the powerful you're building a machine with only one "stop" button that takes five years to activate. This is inherently unwise.

An example of a machine that was built without proper safeguards in the last 20 years was the Euro, but we seem to be ignoring that lesson. We seem to be governed by the equivalent of cowboy builders, sawing thru a loadbearing wall.

As for your second question ("Who stops the ECHR hurting people for fun?"), the answer is that the ECHR is a passive agency, not a muscle: it can stop you doing something or it can enable you to do something, but it cannot make somebody hurt you. Governments can.
    The UK wasn't Taliban prior to adhering to the ECHR or prior to passing the HRA.

And, if a Taliban-type government were to come to power, I doubt if they'd take much notice of the ECHR.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935

It is all building up to a 9.55 big announcement - ready to take the 10pm news broadcasts by storm

You Gov EICIPM will not be on the news will it?
  • Options

Has Olly Heald gone too?

According to @oxfordsimon below.

• Options

Has Olly Heald gone too?

Cheers
  • Options

Has Olly Heald gone too?

It is confirmed by a number of sources.
  • Options

Would prove 100% that Dave or Ozzie do read PB and have listened to OGH and his ever-so subtle hints re Gove at Education .....
  • Options

May to FS?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Oh Hague can go now.

Fuck off and don't let the door hit you on the way out - nothing to do with @TSE's tip whatsoever...
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Where?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It was damn near lost when Hague won it in 1989.
    Conservative William Hague 19,543
    Social Democrat Mike Potter 16,909
    Social and Liberal Democrats Barbara Pearce 11,589

If the Social Democrats and what turned out to be the Lib Dems could have got their act together William Hague would have to wait until the next General Election.
  • Options
    Jane Merrick ‏@janemerrick23 7m

If you put May in Foreign, you could then put Gove at Home Office. Too big a power/chum to not want one of the top 3 #nightofthelongdives

Greg Callus ‏@Greg_Callus 13m

Is there really any question that if Hague retires, Gove will become Foreign Sec? I thought that was a given?
  • Options
    RobD said:

May to FS?
    Yes
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411

Would prove 100% that Dave or Ozzie do read PB and have listened to OGH and his ever-so subtle hints re Gove at Education .....
    If you are of the opinion that Gove is a massive vote loser, isn't the damage already done?
  • Options
    Paul Goodman ‏@PaulGoodmanCH 26s

Am told that Hague is going to Leader of the House and that Fox is definitely back. May be wrong - but source is strong.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

If you are of the opinion that Gove is a massive vote loser, isn't the damage already done?
    Worth a try to fix it, is I would assume the thinking if a move is on the cards.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Am told that Hague is going to Leader of the House and that Fox is definitely back. May be wrong - but source is strong.

I don't understand what the thinking is behind bringing back Fox.
  • Options

I don't buy Hague as Leader of the House at all. No.
  • Options

I don't understand what is the thinking is behind bringing back Fox.
    I don't understand it either.
  • Options
    Surely better to put Gove at Foreign where he is more out of the public eye?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    re-ICM. I recall that a week before polling day the Tories became quite excited when the Labour lead dropped to 5% with ICM. Even their final poll showed a lead of 10% compared with the 13% outcome. That year they were the only polling company to understate the Labour lead.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ashcroft -- Lansley out, which frees up the house.
  • Options

That's the route Robin Cook took.
  • Options
    Please no re Dr Fox...

I suppose it's to counter Owen P going?

I'd have thought my man, Ken C leaving would have been enough.
  • Options
    Hague is the Party's best person on TV after Cameron.

So could make sense to give him low key job - make him available for more prominent TV role.
  • Options

That's the route Robin Cook took.
    It might well be - but it still doesn't feel right for him.
  • Options
    James Landale ‏@BBCJLandale 1m

I am told by top source that we should prepare for a big change at the top of government. Hague, May or Hammond.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959
    edited July 2014
    Gove as Foreign Sec would be interesting given he's already stated he would leave the EU as things currently stand Re. our relationship with Europe.

Would shake things up at The Office I'm sure...
  • Options
    James Landale ‏@BBCJLandale 2m
    I am told by top source that we should prepare for a big change at the top of government. Hague, May or Hammond.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

11 hours 11 minutes 11 seconds
  • Options
    TSE is going to be 'even' more unbearable ....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    My last comment related to 1997!
  • Options
    The last Tory PM to demote their Foreign Secretary to Leader of the House was toppled as PM a year later by that former Foreign Sec
  • Options
    Given some of the other changes, should we expect that arch federalist David Lidlington to be moved as Minister of State for Europe?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,240
    GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

You are right. We were savages before the ECHR saved us from ourselves. Disembowelling random passers-by for fun. And on Sundays, too! Oh the inhumanity of it all.
    So presumably you wouldn't object if there was a piece of paper somewhere that said "Disembowelling passers-by, whether randomly or non-randomly, regardless of motive, is wrong and you cannot do it", and that the government couldn't ignore that piece of paper?...

...but you see where I'm going with this.
  • Options

Why?
  • Options
    I thought the rumour was that Hague would stay as Foreign Sec until election, then leave government and should Tories form next government Osborne would go to Foreign Office?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Why?
    I thought you'd been mentioned as having tipped Hague for the Euro gig at 25-1 earlier?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

LotH could either free him up for media time - or allow him to be nominated for EUC without requiring a major reshuffle.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Why?
    I thought you'd been mentioned as having tipped Hague for the Euro gig at 25-1 earlier?
    I was a Michael Howard man
  • Options
    Ian Dale suggesting Hague may be standing down as MP too (unclear if he means now, or at election!)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

The last Tory PM to demote their Foreign Secretary to Leader of the House was toppled as PM a year later by that former Foreign Sec

Difference here though is that Hague seem's to want to quit front-line politics. Or at least take more of a back seat...

Personally I don't think Hague will be leader of the house. Think he'll go to backbenches and then leave Parliament next year, personally...

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    viewcode said:

GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

Sean_F said:

You are right. We were savages before the ECHR saved us from ourselves. Disembowelling random passers-by for fun. And on Sundays, too! Oh the inhumanity of it all.
    So presumably you wouldn't object if there was a piece of paper somewhere that said "Disembowelling passers-by, whether randomly or non-randomly, regardless of motive, is wrong and you cannot do it", and that the government couldn't ignore that piece of paper?...

...but you see where I'm going with this.
    Yes I see exactly where you are going with this - in to full scale trolling mode.
    However, with apologies, I can't be bothered to bite a second time.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by three points: CON 35%, LAB 38%, LD 8%, UKIP 10%
  • Options
    I've been commissioned to write the reshuffle thread.

If Liam Fox is back, and back as Foreign Secretary, expect a lot of swear words in my piece.
  • Options
    YouGov:

Con +2, UKIP -2
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,585
    Well wrong on 2 counts today. Firstly I thought ICM would show an increased labour lead and secondly I predicted that the reshuffle would be dull. I think I should stick to bringing ruin on the English cricket team.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Given some of the other changes, should we expect that arch federalist David Lidlington to be moved as Minister of State for Europe?

He was here in Gib last week spreading platitudes and weasel words.
    It'd be wonderful to see the back of him.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If Liam Fox is back, and back as Foreign Secretary, expect a lot of swear words in my piece.

I don't buy Dr Fox as Foreign Sec. Not after what happened. Leader of the house or defence sec maybe. Or environment, trasnsport, etc... But I don't think Cameron would risk him in one of the Big Four. Yet.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Can't believe he'd get the FFS position.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The wrong Dr Fox!

You want fox in sox sir!
  • Options
    If it was going to lead at 10, wouldn't we have heard something by now?
  • Options
    Hague standing down, confirmed by Cameron.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    Tonights YG LAB 341 CON 267 LD 16 (UKPR)

Ed is crap is PM
  • Options
    Looks like UKIP now falling rapidly.
  • Options
    Incoming

Chris Ship‏@chrisshipitv·2 mins
    At 10 @tombradby will have some BIG #reshuffle news. For once - it'll actually be a name most people will have heard of... @itvnews next
  • Options
    David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 23s
    1/2 I'd like to pay an enormous tribute to @WilliamJHague who is standing down as an MP at the next election.

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 9s
    2/2 Until then, I'm delighted he'll remain my de facto political deputy, play a key campaigning role and be Leader of the House of Commons.

I spoke too soon!!
  • Options
    Hague gone.
  • Options
    RobD said:

1/2 I'd like to pay an enormous tribute to @WilliamJHague who is standing down as an MP at the next election.

2/2 Until then, I'm delighted he'll remain my de facto political deputy, play a key campaigning role and be Leader of the House of Commons.

I spoke too soon!!

So did I - but there we are.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Another (at this stage reported) casualty: Environment Minister Owen Paterson.

I hear badgers are rejoicing, that was after they put down the goal posts that they were shifting.
  • Options

The wrong Dr Fox!

You want fox in sox sir!
    Given a straight choice it is yours every time
  • Options
    Hague won't be commissioner. Still hope for Howard!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hm I suppose first women bishops in 500 years does kinda beat a Cabinet reshuffle... but hmpf.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I spoke too soon!!

Thanks for everything William. Enjoy your retirement (next year)
  • Options
    Hammond to FCO, according to ITN.
  • Options

Another (at this stage reported) casualty: Environment Minister Owen Paterson.

I hear badgers are rejoicing.

And they are not alone.
  • Options
    Hague "key campaigning role" - very good news!
  • Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47
    Ah shame, Hague was a massive failure and clearly useless at any job he tried, but at least he wasn't as much of an electoral liability as Gove Osborne or IDS.
This discussion has been closed.