Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Thanet South: The first seat where UKIP is the betting favo

1235»

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

James Clappison, the Conservative MP for Hertsmere is to stand down at the next election after 23 years. Allegedly this is not an entirely voluntary move. Dirty work at the cross roads? Is the Cameron Clique lining up someone for this safe seat?

Source? Doubt Central Office (as was) would have had any involvement: long gone are the days when Constituency Associations would have deferred to the centre on putting pressure to ease out sitting MPs. So unless he has fallen out badly locally (which is unlikely) I imagine his retirement is voluntary as he announced a few days back.

But maybe we will witness the Baron Clappers of Herstmere in the 2015 Dissolution Honours?

PS Our own Sean Fear is a past Chairman of the Hertsmere Association if I recall.
    Sorry I forgot the link,it s from the Speccie:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/james-clappison-didnt-stand-down-his-association-pushed-him/
    OK, thanks, so yes it looks as if there was a serious falling out locally. I knew Clappers at University and is a throroughly decent chap - I think he was a junior Minister in Major's government but never went much further.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

James Clappison, the Conservative MP for Hertsmere is to stand down at the next election after 23 years. Allegedly this is not an entirely voluntary move. Dirty work at the cross roads? Is the Cameron Clique lining up someone for this safe seat?

Source? Doubt Central Office (as was) would have had any involvement: long gone are the days when Constituency Associations would have deferred to the centre on putting pressure to ease out sitting MPs. So unless he has fallen out badly locally (which is unlikely) I imagine his retirement is voluntary as he announced a few days back.

But maybe we will witness the Baron Clappers of Herstmere in the 2015 Dissolution Honours?

PS Our own Sean Fear is a past Chairman of the Hertsmere Association if I recall.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/james-clappison-didnt-stand-down-his-association-pushed-him/
    OK, thanks, so yes it looks as if there was a serious falling out locally. I knew Clappers at University and is a throroughly decent chap - I think he was a junior Minister in Major's government but never went much further.
    I wasn't present at the association AGM in 2013, but by all accounts, it was very stormy. A lot of people were very unhappy about James' decision to vote in favour of gay marriage, and some were talking about deselection.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Rolf Harris's prison van being followed by an open-topped London tour bus.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,486
    @sean_F
    Well sounds like they are really pleasant. What is it a Conservative Association or Jurassic Park?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Almost three quarters of Scottish farmers oppose Alex Salmond’s independence plan, according to a new survey.

The research comes despite the SNP government insisting that a separate Scotland would be better placed to fight for the industry in the European Union and follows concerns from fishermen about the effect of separation.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4138409.ece
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I wasn't present at the association AGM in 2013, but by all accounts, it was very stormy. A lot of people were very unhappy about James' decision to vote in favour of gay marriage, and some were talking about deselection.

They they should f*** off and join UKIP.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Thanks and the intensity of opposition within Associations has varied widely. In my patch some voiced misgivings about Dominic Raab's vote in favour but he was re-selected overwhelmingly in a secret ballot of the Exec...and I'm not sure the issue was even raised at the AGM.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Thanks and the intensity of opposition within Associations has varied widely. In my patch some voiced misgivings about Dominic Raab's vote in favour but he was re-selected overwhelmingly in a secret ballot of the Exec...and I'm not sure the issue was even raised at the AGM.
    I would have thought that James' euroscepticism would outweigh any difficulty he might have faced over the vote, but it seems not.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

They they should f*** off and join UKIP.
    There are wards in the constituency which I think are now quite vulnerable to UKIP, such as Borehamwood Cowley Hill, and Borehamwood Kenilworth, and my old ward of Potters Bar Oakmere.

The Chairman of UKIP in Hertsmere is, surprisingly enough, Frank Ward, formerly a long-standing Labour councillor, and father of Claire Ward, who was MP for Watford from 1997 to 2010.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    JohnO said:

It was raised at our 2013 AGM by a member who was clearly very upset by it, and who insisted we had a vote on it. Our Chairman asked for a show of hands and summed it up as 'About evenly divided', which I must say was a somewhat Cameroonian interpretation of the numbers.

But it seems to have died down as an issue since then.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    fitalass said:
    How desperate can they get , they have dug up the SNLA from the cemetery. Better Together really are a bunch of losers. I wonder who will win the sweep on when they would bring that one up. More than 70 days to go and they are at the bottom of the barrel.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    Scott_P said:

Almost three quarters of Scottish farmers oppose Alex Salmond’s independence plan, according to a new survey.

The research comes despite the SNP government insisting that a separate Scotland would be better placed to fight for the industry in the European Union and follows concerns from fishermen about the effect of separation.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4138409.ece

What is the betting that without reading it that Scott is lying , and the headline will be absolute made up rubbish.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Big polling coming up at midnight

New thread will be published.

Survation ‏@Survation 5m
    Stand by for new #indyref polling results at midnight..

Survation for @alanroden in tomorrow's Scottish Daily Mail.
This discussion has been closed.