Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just 80 days to go to the IndyRef and latest YouGov has the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,711
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just 80 days to go to the IndyRef and latest YouGov has the NO lead getting bigger

The big thing about today’s Indy Ref poll by YouGov for the Times is not that there’s been a slight increase in the NO lead but that the referendum election day, September 18th, is getting closer and YES still, apparently, has a mountain to climb.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Yes is toast, lightly grilled and served with butter and marmalade.

Next thread, please....*

* Do I have to beg?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    Morning all - ‘It needs a game-changer’

I don’t think that will happen in the next 80 days, Alex Salmond has exhausted every avenue, both real & imagined.

He missed a great opportunity of appealing to the female voter by posing nude for a 2014 calendar.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    In other news, Daniel Radcliffe's lead over Gareth Bale in the WAAAAGH League Table* has gone down from 58 to only 23 since a month ago. If Gareth gets a relative gain of only 6 or more in the next two calendar months, he will overtake Daniel to become officially the world's most gorgeous man.

* WAAAAGH = the Orldwide Ssociation for the Ssessment, Ppreciation and Dvancement of Orgeousness and Unkiness
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    If the NO lead over YES has settled down in recent weeks to a stable level and is no longer narrowing, maybe there is more money to be won by betting on the turnout instead?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Morning all. A Scottish Independence thread? Nooooo *runs away screaming*
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

2 hours .. 9 minutes .. 29 seconds
  • Options
    John_M said:

I might be wrong .... apparently this last happened in 1963, but large leads tend to ensure a period of "you've all gone quiet over there" in the YES camp.

Tick tock ....

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799
    JackW said:

John_M said:

I might be wrong .... apparently this last happened in 1963, but large leads tend to ensure a period of "you've all gone quiet over there" in the YES camp.

Tick tock ....

The Salmond (head down, gaze averted) - Cameron (looking directly)
    body language at Bannockburn was interesting......

What will be fascinating on September 19 is seeing which pollster got nearest.....a favourite Nat tactic now is to attack YouGov methodology......
  • Options
    Mike Smithson wrote ....

".... I'm tied up in London and will cover this later."

..............................................................................

Such exotic pleasures in the nations capital used to be the preserve of the exceptionally well heeled, especially peers and MP's.

Those were the days .... moving on swiftly !!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    I'll be glad when it's done. Not because it bores me, but because it fills me with trepidation...
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Labour maintain their adamantine grip on "most to blame for the cuts" in YouGov at 36 - +10 vs the government

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/ie1bqvkbkp/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-300614.pdf

Tick tock......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,129
    To remind everyone, I've been forecasting at least 60:40, and probably more like 66:33 for about four years now.

And have been ridiculed for my prescience.

Just saying.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    Based on this poll and eliminating the don't knows and won't votes, Ladbrokes' odds of 4/1 against a 35%-40% No vote look like decent value, but DYOR.

Should the result look like a foregone conclusion by polling day, isn't this likely to adversely affect turnout ? In which case the much vaunted figure of 75%+ might look a little high and instead Betfair's 70%-75% band could prove rewarding, currently on offer at 4, equivalent to 2.85/1 net in real money. Again, DYOR.
  • Options

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

What will be fascinating on September 19 is seeing which pollster got nearest.....a favourite Nat tactic now is to attack YouGov methodology......
    The YES goose is well and truly cooked and frankly has been for many months.

In betting terms there remains some value in the turnout markets that are broadly underestimating voter enthusiasm by several points.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

Based on this poll and eliminating the don't knows and won't votes, Ladbrokes' odds of 4/1 against a 35%-40% No vote look like decent value, but DYOR.

Should the result look like a foregone conclusion by polling day, isn't this likely to adversely affect turnout ? In which case the much vaunted figure of 75%+ might look a little high and instead Betfair's 70%-75% band could prove rewarding, currently on offer at 4, equivalent to 2.85/1 net in real money. Again, DYOR.

How can people be so apathetic about something so important. Boggles the mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

To remind everyone, I've been forecasting at least 60:40, and probably more like 66:33 for about four years now.

And have been ridiculed for my prescience.

Just saying.

You are your father son I think .... didn't Smithson Snr once enjoy a 50/1 tip for the US presidency ?

I dare say someone will dig out the evidence one day.

• Options

Wow .... if you're right there are some rich pickings to be had, Ladbrokes are currently offering 10/1 against a Yes vote of between 30%-35%.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,014
    JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

1963? What happened in 1963, please?

• Options
    A point about the Rolf Harris case.

Will Harris be deported to Australia ? .... we do have a historical track record in this regard and of course the old colony hasn't been slow in chucking back to the UK convicted sex offenders who might have been in Oz for some time but were not Australian citizens.

Harris will also lose his AO and CBE.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Apparently Cameron intends to follow the Ukrainian lead and launch a military assault in the event of a yes vote.
  • Options

Oops, in my post above at 7.24am, the reference to "No vote" should of course have read "Yes vote" ....... close!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

You just had to be there ....

On the cusp of the swinging Sixties .... A Scottish peer as PM .... Mike Smithson had hair and plenty of it ....

Those were the days my friend I thought they'd never end .... (there's a song there somewhere)

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Let's have a month off good Tory polls and see if that changes anything.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Apparently Cameron intends to follow the Ukrainian lead and launch a military assault in the event of a yes vote.

First the annexation of Faslane, followed by a 'rigged' referendum? - sounds like a good plan!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,429
    This is a margin of error poll and does not come close to justifying the Times headline but John Curtice is right to point out time is running out.

I think it is hard for those not in Scotland to understand how much this is now dominating every day conversation in Scotland. I am involved in discussions about it pretty much every day.

The major sticking points are those Osborne brought into play. The currency, the lender of last resort, the effect on financial services. In short the economy stupid, as Curtice points out.

Last night in a debate I was at a University lecturer of some distinction pointed out that at present Scotland gets 18% of the grants from the British science Council. Not bad given we have 8% of the population and yet another income stream that the Scottish government would have to replace. The debate reflected the audience but the viability of Scottish Universities without English fees was a major topic.

Why am I not confident in light of all of this? Well, if you go around Edinburgh in particular you will see dozens of yes stickers in windows and almost no Better Together stickers. You see Yes on many, many cars. Again the Unionist equivalents are almost non existent. I inevitably spend my time with the haves who have too much to lose but they are outnumbered by the have nots who don't.

I still think this is going to be close. If the tories got a consistent lead in the national polling and looked set for majority government by September I could see it being very close. That remains the biggest risk factor here.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Let's have a month off good Tory polls and see if that changes anything.

Factored in.

YES have been dragging up the prospect of a Conservative government for months with tales of baby eating Tory monsters roaming the land and feasting off infant Scots. However my fellow countryman seem to have felt that Nick Soames and Eric Pickles need a decent feed from plump ankle biters.

It's all done and dusted bar the voting and the puce faces of the more excitable YES protagonists.

• Options
    JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

On the cusp of the swinging Sixties .... A Scottish peer as PM .... Mike Smithson had hair and plenty of it ....

Those were the days my friend I thought they'd never end .... (there's a song there somewhere)

Thanks. Admittedly still confused (though Philip Larkin did come to mind). But if I haven't missed some important Scottish event in 1963 then that's fine!

• Options
    Carnyx said:

JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Thanks. Admittedly still confused (though Philip Larkin did come to mind). But if I haven't missed some important Scottish event in 1963 then that's fine!

Chortle ....

Now Carnyx, my old fruit, what say you about the latest polls ?

It's looking grim for YES. Have they a miraculous rabbit in their hat to be extricated or do you believe we are into the slow day by day countdown to a significant rebuff for Wee Eck ?

You may recant ....

• Options
    Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Countdown Projection :

50 minutes
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

If it were a 3:2 or 2:1 split (for No) would Salmond resign?

I suspect not, but thought the question worth asking.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Yes is and always has been Toast . The polls have not widened and nor have narrowed , voters made their minds up how they were going to vote months ago . Around 60% No 40% Yes and the losers with this result will be those such as Easterross who profess to know Scottish politics but time after time get it totally wrong .
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    You can tell things are going badly for the Yes campaign just by looking at the way the likes of Malcolm G post, the nastier they are, the closer to defeat they are.
  • Options
    @DavidL - “if you go around Edinburgh in particular you will see dozens of yes stickers in windows and almost no Better Together stickers."

Perhaps the cost of replacing 18th century sash windows may be the major deterrent?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Chortle ....

It's looking grim for YES. Have they a miraculous rabbit in their hat to be extricated or do you believe we are into the slow day by day countdown to a significant rebuff for Wee Eck ?

You may recant ....

Only one 'latest poll' surely or have I missed something?

Early (if admittedly not very) days yet. It's no great change (within MOE I presume), despite the Times headline. I always thought the period of the hols and the Commonwealth Games was going to be fairly quiet politically as most people have other things to think about (which is pretty much what I said a few days ago, so it's not just a response to this). So we may as well wait till the Games are over and things liven up again. I'll be particularly interested in the impact of the recent Tory crossover for GE VI and of the EU issue.
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, to be fair, we've seen some significant poll swings in recent years. It was certainly not out of the question for Yes to win. I wonder if currency is the major issue making things hard for the Yes campaign.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Chortle ....

You may recant ....

Only one 'latest poll' surely or have I missed something?

Early (if admittedly not very) days yet. It's no great change (within MOE I presume), despite the Times headline. I always thought the period of the hols and the Commonwealth Games was going to be fairly quiet politically as most people have other things to think about (which is pretty much what I said a few days ago, so it's not just a response to this). So we may as well wait till the Games are over and things liven up again. I'll be particularly interested in the impact of the recent Tory crossover for GE VI and of the EU issue.
    Ah .... I feel your pain .... No .... I really do .... Mrs JackW has just dug me in the ribs ..... breakfast awaits.

• Options

@DavidL - “if you go around Edinburgh in particular you will see dozens of yes stickers in windows and almost no Better Together stickers."

Perhaps the cost of replacing 18th century sash windows may be the major deterrent?

Perhaps. And it might explain a reluctance to make your car a target too. There is an increasingly bitter and aggressive edge to the Yes supporters and Unionists are generally keeping their head down.

But my point was that looking at the traditional means of gauging political support Yes is heading for a landslide. Why do political parties do this in bye elections and elections generally? Because they think it creates its own momentum and enthusiasm. Looking at the posters rather than the polls only 1 side has that.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited July 2014
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/01/eu-referendum-next-election-tory-plans

Polly on sparkling form today - Kippers look away now..

"Time for gloves off with Ukip voters. Stop pretending a Ukip vote is respectable and call Faragists out as job-destroying racists and xenophobes. "

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Carnyx said:

JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Well Kennedy was assassinated as well but I don't know how much that impacted Scotland.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TGOHF said:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/01/eu-referendum-next-election-tory-plans

"Time for gloves off with Ukip voters. Stop pretending a Ukip vote is respectable and call Faragists out as job-destroying racists and xenophobes. "

Look at the comments, only 1 in 10 can even stand that over-preened armchair socialist, Polly. Nothing sparkling there, just the usual diatribe of bile and hate.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Charles said:

Yes is toast, lightly grilled and served with butter and marmalade.

Next thread, please....*

* Do I have to beg?

Stick to your day job, or keep your wit for abusing the servants. Funny you are not.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection Countdown :

2 hours .. 9 minutes .. 29 seconds

Hopefully your ARSE explodes before we get your verbal diarrohea.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    BJESUS prediction GE2015 - To be released between 8.30 and 8.50 every Tuesday till 5/5/15

1.7.14 LAB 329(330) CON 268 (263) LD 29(33) UKIP 0(0) Others 26(26) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 302 days left to go factor and using UKPR
  • Options

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Considering they have never been within a country mile in Scotland in the past , why not.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:

Out of touch champagne socialist drips bile. Again. Film at 11.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    TGOHF said:

That would be a great approach for ukip
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,480
    Hmm Sarko has been arrested. Kind of buggers his comeback plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28103223
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Perhaps. And it might explain a reluctance to make your car a target too. There is an increasingly bitter and aggressive edge to the Yes supporters and Unionists are generally keeping their head down.

But my point was that looking at the traditional means of gauging political support Yes is heading for a landslide. Why do political parties do this in bye elections and elections generally? Because they think it creates its own momentum and enthusiasm. Looking at the posters rather than the polls only 1 side has that.

Not so sure myself. A Yes poster is just as likely to attract a brick as a No one. And, quite separately, the DM and DT would fall on incidents of vandalism or worse which could be put down to the indy side with glad cries - but they just aren't there. I don't recall any reports of vandalism beyond the likes of a Yes sticker on a Labour MP/MSP's constituency office window or a swastika and UKOK scrawled on the opposite equivalent.

Of course, such a lack of vandalism is just as it should be.
  • Options

You can tell things are going badly for the Yes campaign just by looking at the way the likes of Malcolm G post, the nastier they are, the closer to defeat they are.

What a turnip , I have not changed a bit , it is the hysterical fanny Tories on here who are the nasty ones. You have to reply in kind to tossers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

David, that is just pure bollocks. The only recorded violence is against YES supporters by unionists. I thought you were better than the average lying Tory on here.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    TGOHF said:

That's the strategy that worked so effectively on May 22nd - in parts of Greater London.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

Considering they have never been within a country mile in Scotland in the past , why not.
    Because they only attack the methodology of those pollsters showing big No leads? Those with narrow leads methodology is clearly beyond reproach.......
  • Options
    John Curtice:

It has long been apparent that YouGov are amongst the companies that tend to paint a relatively pessimistic picture of the Yes side’s prospects. But even by the standards of its previous polls, the company’s latest poll, conducted for The Times, must be regarded as a considerable disappointment for those working in the Yes side’s offices in Glasgow’s Hope St.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/07/a-step-backwards-for-yes-latest-yougov-poll/
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    A Juncker boost? Who'd have thunk it?! Oh, wait, I'd have thunk it.
    If replicated in the rest of the weeks polling, it will have a net upswing for the blues on the Dyedwoolie monitor, but Ed still headed for number 10 as it stands.
    Yes needs adrenalin.
  • Options
    BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to JNN the contents of the latest McARSE Scottish Referendum Projection (Changes Since 18th June) :

Should Scotland Be An Independent Country ?

YES 38% (-1) .. No 62% (+1)

Turnout Projection 81% (NC)

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    McARSE - My Caledonian Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
  • Options
    Mr. F, and if the General Election were held exclusively within the M25 it might be a cunning plan.

Not sure that line will go down well with socially conservative white working class voters elsewhere, though.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    good (well i liked it) article about how totally corrupt the eu elite are

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n10/perry-anderson/the-italian-disaster

• Options
    Summary of Dyeds current unlikely tips for the GE

UKIP to cost Chloe Norwich North
    UKIP to take Gt Yarmouth and Gt Grimsby
    Cons to take all Cornish seats
    Labour to regain all seats lost to Tories in London in 2010
    Cons to gain Dumfries and Galloway and Berwickshire, borders go blue
    In the event of a NO vote, Tories to gain Banff and Buchan in the shock of the night
    Lib Dems under 25 seats
    Norman Lamb to get his p45 from the voters of North Norfolk
    Lib Dems to GAIN one seat. Possibly Montgomeryshire
    Greens to win 2 seats, gaining Norwich South.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    The Times' headline is based on nothing at all. There is no "turning away" going on. The polling is static. So time running out for Yes - but an entirely misleading headline by a once-great newspaper that has become a biased, propaganda sheet.
  • Options

Mr. F, and if the General Election were held exclusively within the M25 it might be a cunning plan.

Not sure that line will go down well with socially conservative white working class voters elsewhere, though.

Having a general election within the M25 is indeed a cunning plan. We would even welcome you to visit us Morris! :)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    TGOHF said:

There's been plenty of name calling already. It didn't work.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Scotref is no change, MoE - but MoE will do for No and not for Yes.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The Times' headline is based on nothing at all. There is no "turning away" going on. The polling is static. So time running out for Yes - but an entirely misleading headline by a once-great newspaper that has become a biased, propaganda sheet.

Correct. This is one vote where there will be much less churn, it's a subject on which many Scots have a fixed opinion. The only question is, how accurate is the polling?
  • Options

In the event of a NO vote, Tories to gain Banff and Buchan in the shock of the night
    Lib Dems under 25 seats

That lot would yield me a good profit but is unlikely to all happen I think.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Round Robin of global Manufacturing PMIs: Part I

The first day of the month is when Markit publishes its most comprehensive set of PMIs for the previous month. We await the UK Manufacturing PMI which will be published at 9:30.

In the meantime here is a fairly broad selection of countries. The story in brief.

China recovering which bodes well for global trade but the Eurozone core countries - Germany, France, Italy - retreat. The reformed peripherals though - Ireland, Spain - are all doing well against the trend.

France is an utter disaster. Not just slow growth, but accelerating contraction.

And Hollande wants the EU Members to borrow money to bail him out!

One good apparent indicator is that deflation in Europe is abating, although more time is needed to tell whether this is a blip or trend,

Anyway, here goes:

China
    PMI up to 50.7 in June from 49.4 in May

Key points
    • Output rises for the first time since January
    • Stocks of finished goods decline at strongest rate since September 2011
    • Rate of job shedding eases

Russia
    PMI 49.1 just above 48.3 (average for last 3 months)

Key Points
    • Resumption in output growth and slower job shedding push PMI closer to no-change mark
    • New orders slide back into contraction
    • Slower inflation of input and output prices

Ireland
    PMI 55.3 up slightly from 55.0 in May

Key Points
    • New orders rise at fastest pace in 40 months
    • Employment up for 13th successive month
    • Production growth slowed

Turkey

PMI fell to 48.8 from 50.1 in May

Key Points
    • Output declines for first time since July 2012
    • New orders contract for second month running and at faster pace
    • Input price inflation at 13-month low

Poland
    PMI fell to 48.8 from 50.1 in May

Key Points

• Flat trend in new orders weighs on headline PMI
    • Output and employment rise modestly
    • Input prices fall for fifth successive month

Netherlands
    PMI fell to 52.3 from 53.6 in May

Key Points
    • Employment up and input prices up
    • Export orders rose but domestic market subdued
    • Output growth eased to an 11-month low

Spain
    PMI rises to 54.6 from 52.9

Key Points

Key Points
    • Sharp increase in new orders, best since April 2007
    • Output up for 7th consecutive month with investment goods leading
    • Employment and Output rates both accelerated

Czech Republic
    PMI down to 54.7 from 57.3 in May

Key Points
    • All components growing above trend
    • Sharp drop in rates of growth responding to slowdown in Germany
    • Input prices stabilised allowing small growth in output pricing

[to be continued]
  • Options
    Round Robin of global Manufacturing PMIs: Part II

France
    PMI down to 48.2 from 49.6 in Many

Key Points
    • Output levels return to contraction
    • Sharper declines in new orders and employment
    • Input cost inflation strongest since December 2013

Markit comment:
    “France’s manufacturing sector is back in reverse gear and weakness looks set to persist through the summer. Deteriorating business conditions were
    reflected in cuts to production levels for the first time in five months and the fastest reduction in new orders so far this year. June’s survey pointed to weakening demand from both domestic and export clients, which in turn placed further downwards pressure on factory gate charges.

Squeezed operating margins and a return to falling output volumes contributed to the steepest pace of
    manufacturing job shedding since the end of 2013.”

Italy
    PMI down to 52.6 from 53.2 in May (but unlike France still above 50)

Key Points
    • PMI at three-month low as output and orders rise at slower rates
    • Export business shows further sharp increase
    • Input price inflation at six-month high

Germany
    PMI down to 52.0 from 52.3 in May

Key Points
    • Headline PMI drops to eight-month low of 52.0 as output growth slows
    • New orders rise at weakest rate in almost one year
    • Employment stagnates, ending six-month sequence of growth
  • Options
    Sad to see the forecast of a No vote in Scotland.

If that does happen, will the SNP finally recognise that the main block to independence is SLAB? Reducing SLAB at every election should then become the SNP main goal, because another referendum would then be 10+ years away. Also if the SNP are to stay left wing, then they do need to separate the unions from SLAB.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lib Dems under 25 seats

To be fair, I'm not on all of them. I'd expect at least 75% of the list to occur. I might struggle with Banff and Buchan and The Lamb chop ;-)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

How did Polly ever pass the infamous BBC "impartiality" test for its employees when she was its "social" editor? She is unbalanced and very partial.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

How did Polly ever pass the infamous BBC "impartiality" test for its employees when she was its "social" editor? She is unbalanced and very partial.
    It's a left-liberal metropolitan media conspiracy.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Tory strategists are increasingly confident that the Ukip vote will fall back next year from the 14 per cent it regis-tered yesterday in a YouGov poll. Mr Ford and Mr Warren argue that Ukip now has key heartland areas in the east of England where they could inflict damage on Tory hopes, even if the national picture is more bleak for them.

The analysts point out that Ukip's vote is geographically concentrated, posing a problem for the Conservatives in the east of England and the Kent and Essex coasts, and they are potentially viable general election competitors for the first time in their strongholds."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4133865.ece

http://www.election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/two-oppositions-article-for-times.html
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Lib Dems under 25 seats

To be fair, I'm not on all of them. I'd expect at least 75% of the list to occur. I might struggle with Banff and Buchan and The Lamb chop ;-)
    He lamb chop would be a shock to even the most pessimistic of forecasters for the Lib Dem prospects. But it would be amusing.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Could there possibly be a better recruiting sergeant for UKIP than North London arch Guardianista Tuscan two home Polly ?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Were you one of the "headless men"?
    JackW said:

Carnyx said:

JackW said:

John_M said:

Tick tock ....

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    If the vote is NO and a Tory government is re-elected, SLAB will be the biggest losers in the medium to long term.

If that does happen, will the SNP finally recognise that the main block to independence is SLAB? Reducing SLAB at every election should then become the SNP main goal, because another referendum would then be 10+ years away. Also if the SNP are to stay left wing, then they do need to separate the unions from SLAB.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Could there possibly be a better recruiting sergeant for UKIP than North London arch Guardianista Tuscan two home Polly ?
    'two home Polly'

A dreadful smear that should not go unchallenged - she has a third property in Lewes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Lib Dems under 25 seats

He lamb chop would be a shock to even the most pessimistic of forecasters for the Lib Dem prospects. But it would be amusing.
    At best he will limp home. It's back to 2001 for North Norfolk ;-)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2014
    Do hurry up Avery, old bean, and tell us more about the even better news that UK mfg PMI rises in June and at 57.5 beats estimates of 56.5 and rises from May’s 57
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Toynbee is getting ever more delusional in her rants:

So a vote for the Conservatives next year amounts to an Out vote. If Scotland narrowly stays in the UK this time, they will certainly demand another vote and swing to leave a non-EU England; Wales might follow. Britain loses its UN security council seat and US presidents forget "special relationship" politesse.

I also like that she's appalled the Times fact checked the three million jobs at risk bollocks. How dare they demolish an untrue pro-EU claim??
  • Options
    More Toynbee:

From Cameron mark 2, expect the effective dismantling of much of the BBC and marketisation of the rest of the NHS. Gove plans chains of for-profit schools. National pay rates will be broken, paying public servants in already poor places less. Beecroft's "fire at will" deregulations will be back. The juggernaut of cuts to come, still only half done, will hit even harder, says the Institute of Fiscal Studies, since tax rises and capital cuts are already banked, leaving deeper service and staff cuts.

I have to say, she is making a pretty good for me to switch my vote back to the Tories...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    An independence poll and no sign of Dixon,Mick Pork or Divie,have they finally realized it's a lost cause?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have to say, Hollande is doing an excellent job of warning what a lefty govt would do to the UK.
    Merci, Monsieur!
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

First the annexation of Faslane, followed by a 'rigged' referendum? - sounds like a good plan!
    That would be the Russian lead...
  • Options
    Activate the reivers!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    And the GOOD NEWS is...

And now for something completely different...

The UK CIPS/Markit Manufacturing PMI for June:

Manufacturing PMI 57.5 for June up from 57.0 in May

Key Points
    • Order inflows strengthen as demand improves in domestic and export markets
    • Job creation at 39-month high, led by rising SME headcounts

The rate of growth accelerates again after to second best reading since the records began (after November 2013). Q2 2014 recorded the highest average manufacturing PMIs for over 20 years.

Incoming new business rose at fastest pace since last November and manufacturers reported increased order books from Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Manufacturing employment rose for the 14th successive month. All sectors reported jobs up but the steepest rise was in SMEs.

It is genuinely difficult to look at the comparative performance of the UK economy without pinching oneself. Just how long can this go on?

Well Markit's Senior Economist addresses this question in his commentary:

“Sustaining the recovery will remain the key and, on this front, the news also remained upbeat. As a broader expansion is also a more sustainable expansion, the ongoing surging growth of output and new orders across capital, consumer and intermediate goods producers alike is exactly what is required. Solid job creation across these sectors and at both SMEs and large producers bodes well not just for manufacturing but for sustaining the broader economic upturn as well.”

So even the disappointing retail sales forecast put out by the BRC last week can't dampen the upbeat spirit.

It can't go on for ever though and I still expect a slowdown in the second half of the fiscal year but let's enjoy the good weather while it lasts.

Let's remind ourselves again of the Eurozone performance:

Countries ranked by Manufacturing PMI®: June
    Ireland       55.3  2-month high
    Spain 54.6 84-month high
    Italy 52.6 3-month low
    Netherlands 52.3 11-month low
    Germany 52.0 8-month low
    Austria 50.4 11-month low
    Greece 49.4 7-month low
    France 48.2 6-month low
    Does Europe really want Juncker running the EU Commission? Are they sure?
  • Options
    Re ScotRef.
    'Yes' by definition will vote, however,
    'No' we should not be an independent country - committed to that, or just don't care?
    There's your squeeze.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Watch live the first sitting of the 2014-2019 EU Parliament...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/europe-28087824

I know you secretly want it
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017

"Tory strategists are increasingly confident that the Ukip vote will fall back next year from the 14 per cent it regis-tered yesterday in a YouGov poll. Mr Ford and Mr Warren argue that Ukip now has key heartland areas in the east of England where they could inflict damage on Tory hopes, even if the national picture is more bleak for them.

The analysts point out that Ukip's vote is geographically concentrated, posing a problem for the Conservatives in the east of England and the Kent and Essex coasts, and they are potentially viable general election competitors for the first time in their strongholds."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4133865.ece

http://www.election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/two-oppositions-article-for-times.html

There is money to be made from people using 3 party models to predict 4 party politics

Especially if they rely on by elections in unfavourable seats as their starting point
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If the vote is NO and a Tory government is re-elected, SLAB will be the biggest losers in the medium to long term.

Good points from both of you [edit], but I think they are already in train (even if one discounts the UKGE VI polling till after the referendum's effects are clear). Unions are getting very twitchy and there have been some defections despite presumably rigid London HQ control.

SLAB ought to be very worried because their voters are already being targeted for indyref by the Yes campaign (not the same thing as the SNP, and that is a key distinction here: ignoring it is very misleading even if some of us like to equate those two things with Mr Salmond).

Even a 40/60 Yes/No (and I think it will be a lot tighter) would give a lot of prior Labour voters who voted Yes and/or will have been upset by perceiving right-wing Labour in bed with the Tories, or still worse acting as their little helpers under their orders.

That is a lot of votes that could be lost. And that would apply in the next UKGE at once, never mind waiting till after that.

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Oh Dear, UKIP Scottish MEP is wearing a kilt...
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    Scotland is off on holiday from this week so the polls if any may be volatile for the next 6 weeks. It is hard at the moment to see what the game changer will be but I am sure Salmond has a few plans up his sleeves for the last few weeks before the referendum. These will probably be about making lots of promises he can never really meet and hoping that enough people fall for it.

In the meantime we are settling down to watch Murray and the Commonwealth Games.

Ps Edinburgh as the polls show will be one of the core support bases for No. In Glasgow where the real battle is no-one shows their allegiance for fear of being judged. Even the Scottish flag stickers on the cars have almost entirely disappeared. Parade season about to start.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    AveryLP said:

It is genuinely difficult to look at the comparative performance of the UK economy without pinching oneself. Just how long can this go on?

I think it needs to continue for at least the next year to make good the ground we have lost since 2010, and for the entire length of the next Parliament to begin to reverse the long-term decline suffered in the preceding decade.

It could be worse, I'll grant you.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Socrates said:

More Toynbee:

From Cameron mark 2, expect the effective dismantling of much of the BBC and marketisation of the rest of the NHS. Gove plans chains of for-profit schools. National pay rates will be broken, paying public servants in already poor places less. Beecroft's "fire at will" deregulations will be back. The juggernaut of cuts to come, still only half done, will hit even harder, says the Institute of Fiscal Studies, since tax rises and capital cuts are already banked, leaving deeper service and staff cuts.

I have to say, she is making a pretty good for me to switch my vote back to the Tories...

'...National pay rates will be broken...'

Good.
  • Options

Socrates said:

More Toynbee:

'...National pay rates will be broken...'

Good.
    Polly taking her lead from Mephisto Campbell and sexing up the Tory manifesto
    Good girl
  • Options
    The manufacturing PMI figures this month are genuinely astonishing. The time when the UK economy reverts to trend is regularly being postponed to with Goldman Sachs yesterday being the first to forecast 3% growth next year. Until fairly recently the reversion to trend was supposed to happen in the second half of this year. Absolutely no sign of that.

I tend to agree with Avery that things cannot continue at this rate but I do expect above trend growth for all of next year as well as the second half of this. It will be a remarkable record to sell in May.

One possible downside for the Tories is that growth like this is going to continue to suck in the work starved of Europe, particularly eastern Europe, for the duration. The UK is becoming the employment capital of Europe and there is no way that immigration is going to fall against this backdrop.

As for France, oh dear. Schadenfreude is not really healthy and they are very rapidly becoming the major weak spot for the EZ as a whole and a threat to its stability. Socialist governments, eh? What a crock.

• Options
    Muslim anti-Semitism causing emigration of French Jews:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/21/world/europe/number-of-french-jews-emigrating-to-israel-rises-sharply.html?_r=0

A classic case of needing to confront intolerance early.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    DavidL said:

I was in Edinburgh for an interview last week and was surprised not to see anything about the forthcoming referendum - except for some new editions of various Scottish history books at the railway station.

There's the Commonwealth Games to come in Glasgow in three weeks and a day. That might spark a mood of national self-confidence. Maybe there is a dramatic shift in the polls to come before the campaign enters its final month.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I think you get different Times's in England - everyday up here we get a front page that goes No No No. - And we go Yeah - Eck forgive us - our accents are still placeable.
This discussion has been closed.