Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Final Survation poll on Newark

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

UKIP have been a bit unlucky in that there are probably about 50 seats they could have won in a by-election but none of them have become vacant during the parliament.

An insurgent party should be able to win just about anywhere in a by-election.

UKIP have had two near misses on around 30% of the vote.

Not good enough...

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A female candidate might have won this for UKIP.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,085
    ToryJim said:

Has Farage been drinking?

I should hope so. He's got a reputation to maintain.

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    If the Tories hold, the story becomes Govt hold, opposition slide to third. Worst case for UKIP, they will not be the story.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    Farage saying likely by-election in South Cambs if Lansley becomes Euro Commissioner.

In my view if Newark majority is only 2,500 then Cameron simply cannot risk a by-election in South Cambs.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Well I have
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Only when he's not sleeping...
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    stjohn said:

This is probably common knowledge to PBers - but news to me.

I have just gone to Wikipedia to find out the turnout for the Newark constituency vote at the last GE 2010. (51,228, 71.4%).

I did not know that Newark's elected MP in 1832 was the "TORY CANDIDATE", William Ewart Gladstone!

Shows how much I know.

Part of the great rivalry between Disraeli and Gladstone was that they started off in the same party.

Gladstone split off with the Peelites who then were part of the formation of the Liberal party.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

ToryJim said:

I should hope so. He's got a reputation to maintain.

The pertinent question is with whom?

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,494
    Every time I hear Farage say "People's Army" I hear the conference speech of Blair when he declared Labour "the political wing of the British People".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A female candidate might have won this for UKIP.

Col Sanders was not the best choice
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    James Landale ‏@BBCJLandale 3m

Sources at Newark count tell me the Lib Dems could come 6th behind an independent hospital campaigner and the Green candidate
  • Options

I doubt Ukip will win 60 seats next year but people saying it's a million to one shot are wrong. Trouble for Ukip is they're back in the low teens after the Euros. They haven't really moved forward in the last 12 months. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the economy hadn't picked up.

It really is incredibly unlikely UKIP will sniff anything like that many.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    South Cambs is far too liberal and middle-class to elect a UKIP MP. Big connections to Cambridge University in the seat.
  • Options

Sources at Newark count tell me the Lib Dems could come 6th behind an independent hospital campaigner and the Green candidate

From 18%.
    Say goodbye to Cornwall, London and most of Scotland.
  • Options
    What is cut-off point re Lansley?

You can keep a seat open for 6 months. Parliament will be dissolved early April so 6 months before that is early October.

Could Lansley be appointed Euro Commissioner but remain an MP just long enough to get to cut-off point so no by-election.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

UKIP have been a bit unlucky in that there are probably about 50 seats they could have won in a by-election but none of them have become vacant during the parliament.

If you think there's only 50 seats they could've won they'd have had to be pretty lucky for one to become vacant surely.
  • Options
    IMO most of the seats on the east coast between Hull and Thanet could have provided UKIP with a parliamentary win in a by-election.
  • Options
    BBC: LD 6th!!!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

You can keep a seat open for 6 months. Parliament will be dissolved early April so 6 months before that is early October.

Could Lansley be appointed Euro Commissioner but remain an MP just long enough to get to cut-off point so no by-election.

Cameron will not play for a rain delay. He will take the risk.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    ToryJim said:

Every time I hear Farage say "People's Army" I hear the conference speech of Blair when he declared Labour "the political wing of the British People".

I hear 'People's Army' and I find it very chilling. Any association between a political movement and a military operation is something that I find very worrying. I know we talk of battleground seats and the like - but the idea of an Army of UKIP campaigners is not a pleasant one. Purple and Yellow Shirts... no thank you.

• Options
    "LouiseMensch Looks like we asked #LibDems in Newark to lend us their votes and many did so. Thank you, @UKIP sunning themselves in Malta #hypocrites"
  • Options
    edited June 2014

From 18%.
    Say goodbye to Cornwall, London and most of Scotland.
    The Libs were beaten by the NF in the late 1970s by-elections, but had a net loss of just 2 seats in 1979...
  • Options

ToryJim said:

I hear 'People's Army' and I find it very chilling. Any association between a political movement and a military operation is something that I find very worrying. I know we talk of battleground seats and the like - but the idea of an Army of UKIP campaigners is not a pleasant one. Purple and Yellow Shirts... no thank you.

Oh it's exceptionally chilling.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

MikeL said:

Cameron will not play for a rain delay. He will take the risk.

I don't think he can.

Newark was the 44th safest and it's ended up pretty close.

South Cambs may have links to the University but even so it is in East Anglia which is a strong UKIP area - probably more strong than Newark - it's not worth chancing it.

I think he should just pick Callanan.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    South Cambs will be a safe Tory hold.It's not conducive to Ukip according to election data's maps.O'Flynn said he was looking for a parliamentary seat to challenge and he is already elected an MEP.He could look to stand but this is true blue territory.
  • Options
    Matthew Hancock knows the betting markets well.

Accurately quoting the betting markets.
  • Options

South Cambs will be a safe Tory hold.It's not conducive to Ukip according to election data's maps.O'Flynn said he was looking for a parliamentary seat to challenge and he is already elected an MEP.He could look to stand but this is true blue territory.

I can't see the 20k LD vote going to UKIP. It will be split between the kippers and tactical support for the Tories.

• Options

Matthew Hancock knows the betting markets well.

Accurately quoting the betting markets.

He had his pic taken with shadsy
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2014
    AndyJS said:

IMO most of the seats on the east coast between Hull and Thanet could have provided UKIP with a parliamentary win in a by-election.

Looking at tonight's result and the Euro election results Dover and Folkestone & Hythe would both be vulnerable too. UKIP won both in the Euros by 15 points or more. In fact you could add most of Kent to that given that Newark Euros (granted with different borders) was only around a 1% victory for UKIP whereas virtually the whole of Kent (bar Sevenoaks, Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells) showed Euro leads for UKIP of between 8% and 24%.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: I’m hearing some suggestion that the Tory majority could be larger than the 2.5k that Nigel Farage is predicting on his media round
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2014
    UKIP is desperately seeking to garner the protest vote from both the right and the left in the hope of breaking into mainstream UK politics. These continued Westminster by-election failures in the current political climate should be a real cause for concern for them, and it probable does indicate that they will fail to impress come the next GE. Its worth noting that the SNP, SDP, Libdems have all managed some quite incredible by-election wins in the past, and in similar political circumstances, and its also something that even Respect managed to achieve in the current Parliament.

And who on earth was in charge of the Labour campaign in Newark, anyone?! Usually we are told which MP is running the show, and there is some visible presence in the media as a result. But from where I am sitting there didn't seem to be anyone running this campaign for the Labour party, and the poor Labour candidate appeared a lonely figure left out on a limb by his Leader, his party Chairman and the whole Labour party! With less than a year before the GE campaign kicks off, that is worse than complacency, its an absolute disgrace for an Opposition party that thinks its got any chance of winning that election. We kept getting told that the Labour on ground operation is far superior to that of the Conservatives as if its going to be an advantage come the next GE. Well we have seen very little evidence of this 'strategically' advantageous Labour operation on the ground in Newark. No wonder Labour don't like Grant Shapps!

Earlier today I saw the point raised that UKIP not only attract protest voters, but they also repel other voters enough to motivate them to get out and tactically vote against them. Sound familiar, it should do, Labour and the Libdems dined out on this kind of tactical voting at the expense of the Tories for years. And just look at the huge difference in the views of male and female voters in that last Survation Newark poll, something that is able demonstrated on a daily basis on this site. That is why UKIP keeps coming a close second, but still consistently fails to cross the line first. Its worth pointing out that as volume of UKIP posters has increased on the site, the regular presence of female posters has declined. I have been around lurking and then posting on this site since before the 2005 GE, this is dramatic drop off on female posters after such a steady rise in their presence here, and it should be food for thought as we girls do follow politics... And we tend to turn out and vote too!
    corporeal said:

Eh, I'd say if UKIP make it all the way through to the GE winning none of the by-elections they should be at the least disappointed.

More or less all the emerging parties have won seats from way behind at by-elections as they came up. So the track record's there.

It's not necessarily the only way of course, but it doesn't bode well for their seat winning prospects at the GE.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

@JGForsyth: I’m hearing some suggestion that the Tory majority could be larger than the 2.5k that Nigel Farage is predicting on his media round

Makes sense if the rural boxes are being counted last.

• Options
    Jon Ashworth didn't like the slapping he got off of Curtice
  • Options
    Result expected between 2.30 and 3
  • Options
    Let's hope Mr Eagles
  • Options
    Tories refusing to claim victory yet.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Let's hope Mr Eagles

I have to be up at 7.30am
  • Options
    The highpoint of this evening has been Professor John Curtice giving Jon Ashworth a good kicking.
  • Options
    Just get to bed Eagles
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,334
    MANofkent And UKIP still won Sevenoaks and Tonbridge though they fell narrowly short in Tunbridge Wells
  • Options

The highpoint of this evening has been Professor John Curtice giving Jon Ashworth a good kicking.

The look on his face was a picture.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    HYUFD said:

MANofkent And UKIP still won Sevenoaks and Tonbridge though they fell narrowly short in Tunbridge Wells

Indeed on shares similar to Newark although IIRC the Tories won Tunbridge Wells by 7 points..............

• Options
    It's possible voters in Newark have voted pretty much the same as they did in the Euro elections.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Just get to bed Eagles

I have to write the results thread!
  • Options
    Curtice analysis very sound as always - but he makes no mention of the swing back to Lab in the national polls over the last 2 weeks.

I am a Con supporter but I have to admit that the scale of the swing back to Lab over the last 2 weeks is very worrying.

The Euros, Locals and Newark results all point to Con having a good chance at the GE. But being approx 5% behind Lab again in the national polls in my view looks like too big a hurdle to overcome.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Just get to bed Eagles

Hope your getting rewarded for your dedication
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Just get to bed Eagles

Hope your getting rewarded for your dedication
    It's my contribution to the Big Society
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Just get to bed Eagles

Revolting Kippers Quelled

Farage F*cked

See! Easy!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Curtice analysis very sound as always - but he makes no mention of the swing back to Lab in the national polls over the last 2 weeks.

I am a Con supporter but I have to admit that the scale of the swing back to Lab over the last 2 weeks is very worrying.

The Euros, Locals and Newark results all point to Con having a good chance at the GE. But being approx 5% behind Lab again in the national polls in my view looks like too big a hurdle to overcome.

Let's see after the summer where the polls lie and then after the conferences etc
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

Just get to bed Eagles

Revolting Kippers Quelled

Farage F*cked

See! Easy!
    You're getting a graph and a pop reference
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Maybe the polls were distorted by the Euro elections and they've returned to the previous position.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

If the polls move like they did last time, the Tories will finish four points ahead...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Maybe the polls were distorted by the Euro elections and they've returned to the previous position.
    Yes, but Lab only won the Locals by 1% to 2% (National Equivalent share).

So it was reasonable to think that Lab did really lead by only 1% to 2% nationally - as Locals had much lower UKIP score than Euros.

But we are now suddenly back to 5%.

Con has to cling to possibility that in the actual ballot box Lab doesn't match polls - some evidence for this - particularly in the Euros.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Yes, but Lab only won the Locals by 1% to 2% (National Equivalent share).

So it was reasonable to think that Lab did really lead by only 1% to 2% nationally - as Locals had much lower UKIP score than Euros.

But we are now suddenly back to 5%.
    Polls move about all over the show. Let's see where we are at the turn of the year.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    In the by-election in Newark in 1840, the Liberal candidate was 9 votes away from coming last.
    The Lib Dems might do even better than that this time.
  • Options
    LD candidate claims has beaten Bus Pass Elvis, but lost deposit, some of his voters voted Tory to beat UKIP
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

If the polls move like they did last time, the Tories will finish four points ahead...
    Yes Rod - that's credible - but I think to stay in Govt for certain (ie 312 seats required as unionists will support them in that situation) they need 5%.

Kellner said Con could get a majority with a 5% lead - my own view is 6% means no net loss to Lab and they might get 15 gains from LD = 322 seats.

So I think approx 5% lead for 312.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    imo a good Ukip result would be low 30s and Con high 30s, not so good would be high 20s and Con low 40s
  • Options
    ManofKent Indeed, I have an interest as I was brought up in Tunbridge Wells, schooled in Tonbridge
  • Options
    Reverend Underpants really is a [moderated]
  • Options
    Chris Bryant reckons his candidate is the best and that the winner would agree. Yeah right.
  • Options
    Anyone who believes of word of what Bryant is saying need serious counselling..........
  • Options

I think you can insert any expletive there of your choice,
  • Options

timfoolery without the wit.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Err, not any more. Diane James has been appalling bad on This Week tonight, and I say that as someone who initially suggested she would have been a far better candidate than Helmer in Newark.
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

Who on earth thinks UKIP will get 30-60 seats at the general election?

No one

Diane James makes some strange comments.. she is good but maybe over rated
    She is undoubtedly good as a party representative on TV. She handles aggressive questioning well.

But there is latent anger in her eyes.

Not a woman to cross I would guess.

After 30 yrs of support and active involvement, I would quit Tory party that did a pact with UKIP.
    ToryJim said:

MikeL said:

Curtice explaining that Con / UKIP pact is totally impractical.

It is. The number of people I know who would quit a Tory party that did a pact with UKIP.
    Farage in danger of becoming yet again another Jonny come lately that doesn't turn up on the day....
    RodCrosby said:

Farage: shortlist of two three seats I will fight, to be announced before the summer recess...

Highlight of This Week coverage. :)

MikeL, big fan of your posts, but grow a pair over the current polls. :)
    MikeL said:

• Options
    If UKIP *has* lost, it would have been more fun if Godfrey Bloom had been the candidate
  • Options
    Chris Bryant really is being an idiot. I'd call him a muppet but that would be an insult to a brand of puppets
  • Options
    Shadsy, if you're reading, there's a great marketing opportunity for you

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 2m

Monster Raving Loony Party say they're in financial crisis. Need new sponsor after bookies William Hill dropped them following Eastleigh
  • Options
    Hancock is as bad as Bryant!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Neil has skewered Hancock. Hancock drowning on immigration.
  • Options
    Poor from Hancock - it would be very easy to just have one or two specific examples of what Con would do if not in coalition.

OK, it might be hypothetical but never mind - just have a decent answer to a simple question.
  • Options
    this is painful... Neil and Curtice the only interest....
  • Options
    result imminent...
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    MikeL said:

Poor from Hancock - it would be very easy to just have one or two specific examples of what Con would do if not in coalition.

OK, it might be hypothetical but never mind - just have a decent answer to a simple question.

The honest answer is that levels of EU immigration are linked to relative economic growth.

With continental Europe nearing stagflation and their employment levels shrinking, it is not surprising that economic migrants flock to the UK where both employment and the economy are growing above trend.

Put simply, higher immigration from the EU is the price we pay for (and the driver of) economic success.
  • Options
    James Landale (per Party sources):

Con - high 30s, maybe 40
    UKIP - 32
    Lab - 18
    Baggaley - 4th
    Green / LD - close for 5th
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Con - high 30s, maybe 40
    UKIP - 32
    Lab - 18
    Baggaley - 4th

Pretty much the figures I posted earlier.
  • Options
    Diane James agrees with Andrew Neil's proposition that UKIP need a significant block of MPs to get what they want - totally deluded as the chances of even 20 UKIP MPs is absolutely miniscule.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    AndyJS said:

MikeL said:

Con - high 30s, maybe 40
    UKIP - 32
    Lab - 18
    Baggaley - 4th

Pretty much the figures I posted earlier.
    If those figures are right it is a thumping victory for Cameron (and Shapps!).

And an utter disaster for Miliband.

• Options
    It feels like Hancock, Ashworth and James are trying to drive viewers insane at the moment.
  • Options
    UKIP really need to get a better answer to the EU referendum question than David Cameron is lying.
  • Options
    All the by-election polls underestimated UKIP and overestimated Labour. Although 3 isn't many.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I'd love to see Diane James sit a basic logic test.

It is blindingly obvious that her actions will reduce the chances of a referendum - which is what she claims she wants.

• Options
    @BlindGazza: So fewer than 543 votes for libs and that would be the party's worst by-election ever #newarkbyelection
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Biggest loser of the night Bryant, then d dimple by. Biggest winner john curtice
  • Options

Biggest loser of the night Bryant, then d dimple by. Biggest winner john curtice, then brillo.

• Options
    Nice eye roll by Hancock at Diane James
  • Options
    James blind faith in nigel saying that ed will also offer a referendum is touching
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Totally agree, not the nice face of the Labour party.

A couple of observations.
    Really surprised at how poor Diane James was on This Week now that she is a UKIP MEP. She has become the female face of UKIP, and what an unattractive face that became tonight when she didn't even make an effort to distance herself from Helmer's comments on various contentious issues!

And what on earth was the BBC thinking when they didn't even bother to put up a serious political journalist at the count on their This Week Newark by-election coverage?! Fair play to Andrew Neil when he finally lost patience and turned his forensic interview technique on BBC journalist that they did offer up, and because they simple didn't cut the mustard.

But for me, tonight's highlights from the This Week coverage remains the Jacob Rees Mogg interview, and of course the bust up between Professor Curtice and Labour Jon Ashworth. Both were priceless. Far more entertaining that anything that Dimbleby and Co would have offered up.
    ToryJim said:

Chris Bryant really is being an idiot. I'd call him a muppet but that would be an insult to a brand of puppets

• Options

Yes.

It would be interesting to hear from a focus group who won the exchange.

I fear it wouldn't be Hancock, although my sympathies are with him.

• Options
    ToryJim said:

UKIP really need to get a better answer to the EU referendum question than David Cameron is lying.

They don't need to because people are well aware of the decades of deceit over Europe from all three establishment parties from 1970 onwards.
  • Options
    Twitter
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 1m
    RT @WikiGuido: .@matthancockmp speaking for every surviving #bbctw viewer with that eye roll at Diane James there.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

@BlindGazza: So fewer than 543 votes for libs and that would be the party's worst by-election ever #newarkbyelection

That is of course rubbish. The Lib Dems got 352 in South Shields, 451 in Rotherham, 474 in Glasgow North East (2009), and 411 in Glasgow Central (1990).

• Options

Can u blame him?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    LDs got 627 votes in the Inverclyde by-election. Don't expect them to get less than that tonight.
  • Options
    Hancock has the face and demeanour of a Bassett hound.
  • Options

Can u blame him?
    No
  • Options
    @BBCJLandale: Am told 7,000 Tory majority in Newark. Con 17000, UKIP 10,000, Lab 6,000 #newarkbyelection
  • Options
    James Landale ‏@BBCJLandale 31s

Am told 7,000 Tory majority in Newark. Con 17000, UKIP 10,000, Lab 6,000 #newarkbyelection
  • Options
    Fecking get on with it!
This discussion has been closed.