Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Final Survation poll on Newark

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited June 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Final Survation poll on Newark

Since Survation’s poll last week, Conservatives have gained 6 points and UKIP have dropped 1 point, whilst Labour has dropped 5 points from 27 to 22, which reflects the sheer level of effort put in by the Tories, and Labour getting squeezed in a two horse race.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 4 mins
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now six points: CON 31%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    "A great day, comrades! We sail into history!"
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    So Survation now in line with Ashcroft.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    "The Tories attempted to appeal to Labour and Lib Dem supporters last night and today, asking them to “lend your vote to the Conservatives” to keep out Ukip"

Rather proves their point about the 3 is one liblabcon party

PS First
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Lib Dems on 4!!! Will BusPassElvis beat them..that is the story to watch..
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    PPS: Blast
  • Options

Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics · 4 mins
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead now six points: CON 31%, LAB 37%, LD 8%, UKIP 15%

YouGov/The Sunil:

Tory/UKIP 46%
    Progressives 45%

OR:

COA 39%
    Lab 37%
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,508
    I think deserve a lot of praise for not writing in the thread header, Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    History being made, Labour voted Conservative for first time ever.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    For Labour to lose votes in a by-election when they are in opposition and started the election campaign second to a government party would be an enormous feck-up for them.

It's one thing to have Labour voters vote tactically for the Lib Dems in somewhere like Eastleigh, but to have some Labour voters switching to UKIP to give the Tories a bloody nose and some Labour voters switching to the Tories to keep UKIP out would be a balls-up of the highest order.
  • Options
    I wonder if this is indicative of a late anti-UKIP swing. A 15pt margin would be decent but could it be a bigger margin?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I would like them to hold deposit as I took shadsys bet on this one.

Nonetheless it does imply a lot of anti UKIP tactical voting. Being disliked more than the Tories makes for curious bedfellows.
    timmo said:

• Options

I think deserve a lot of praise for not writing in the thread header, Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide.

YouGov,sleazy broken tories on the slide ;-)

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

So fitting that the Newark victory comes on the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

A second British triumph against fascism in less than a century.

And on two fronts too. I predict the tanks will have reached both Edinburgh and Paris by the end of September.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Speedy said:

As has been pointed out several times, UKIP has detoxified the Tories. It's looking more and more like a Tory landslide in 2015.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020

"The Tories attempted to appeal to Labour and Lib Dem supporters last night and today, asking them to “lend your vote to the Conservatives” to keep out Ukip"

PS First

It also demonstrates the mountain UKIP has to climb to get even a single MP. If there is a lot of tactical voting (Conservatives for the LibDems in Eastleigh, LibDems for Conservatives in Newark, etc. etc), you could easily end up with a situation where the LibDems get 30 seats on 10% of the vote, and UKIP get 0 on 20%.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    So are we looking at a Tory majority of around 5,000?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    None of these polls will pick up a late swing in the last two days, if one happened.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Very mixed week for Con - good news if they win Newark easily but the YouGov national polls really are terrible:

YouGov average Lab lead so far this week = 5.25 (4 polls).

That is the highest average Lab lead for 13 weeks - ie since the start of March - a real reversal of fortunes compared to just two weeks ago - when average Lab lead was 2.0 (and the week before that it was 1.8) - and no obvious explanation.
  • Options
    That will teach UKIP not to put unreconstructed far right wingers as candidates, but also it greatly diminishes their chances of gaining any seats next year.
    If everyone is voting tactically against them the only way for them to win a seat is to get a majority of the vote, something impossible.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I wonder why Survation have bothered doing this and releasing it after the polls close?
    Perhaps it's a methodological experiment.
  • Options
    Interestingly it is almost exactly 71 years since the last Newark by election held on 8 June 1943. Then a Conservative won succeeding a Conservative.
  • Options
    Steady on ALP. Kippers are not fascists. They do not have that homoerotic dress sense for a start...
    AveryLP said:

So fitting that the Newark victory comes on the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

And on two fronts too. I predict the tanks will have reached both Edinburgh and Paris by the end of September.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Extrapolating from one event to everything else can be dangerous. If we took the first few years of Hannibal's prolonged time in Italy we could have calculated he'd kill every Roman in a decade or two (I wish I could remember the exact percentages, but it was a huge proportion of the population. I think I worked out it'd be the modern equivalent of 200 MPs [if we had a politico-military approach similar to the Romans], four Prime Ministers and several million people].
  • Options

From survation's email.

With a turnout of 50%, our final figures would translate into a Conservative majority in the seat of about 5,400 - down from 16,152 at the last election
  • Options
    Have you pioneered a successful conversion therapy for the Kippers, Dr. Sox?

Please let me know when it will be approved by those NICE people and made available for general NHS procedures.

Steady on ALP. Kippers are not fascists. They do not have that homoerotic dress sense for a start...

AveryLP said:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    shadsy said:

I wonder why Survation have bothered doing this and releasing it after the polls close?

That, and to see if there was any swings since the first poll.

Edit: And they couldn't release their poll whilst the polls were open
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PS First

It also demonstrates the mountain UKIP has to climb to get even a single MP. If there is a lot of tactical voting (Conservatives for the LibDems in Eastleigh, LibDems for Conservatives in Newark, etc. etc), you could easily end up with a situation where the LibDems get 30 seats on 10% of the vote, and UKIP get 0 on 20%.
    Its called majoritarianism, if the 80% of the public hate the other 20% then they can easily exclude them from society, the economy or representation, you see it in any country with a significant minority.
  • Options

Sky News ✔ @SkyNews

GUARDIAN FRONT PAGE: "I'll not beg Britain, vows Juncker" #skypapers pic.twitter.com/GAThUY2EEr

• Options
    shadsy said:

Probably pre-booked and financed by the Kippers with an option to disassociate if the campaign didn't go to plan.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873

Speedy said:

As has been pointed out several times, UKIP has detoxified the Tories. It's looking more and more like a Tory landslide in 2015.

Yes, if only the Conservatives could get 1,000 activists into every constituency and get the Prime Minister to stop running the country and visit every constituency four times, who knows ?

On the other hand, YouGov suggests that if anyone is heading for a landslide, it's Labour but I'm sure you'd be happy with that ?

• Options
    From the data tables

MEN Ukip 36.8/CON 36.2/LAB 15.7

WOMEN Ukip 16.8/CON 47.6/LAB 27.7"
  • Options

Shadsy's forecast would be a Tory majority of about 3,650.
  • Options
    They are like any over-tired toddlers. They just need a bottle and a lie down.
    AveryLP said:

Have you pioneered a successful conversion therapy for the Kippers, Dr. Sox?

Please let me know when it will be approved by those NICE people and made available for general NHS procedures.

AveryLP said:

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Comrade Chancellor! You mean to say 70 years ago Europe was enslaved by a European super-state, and the same will be true in the 21st century if the Euro-federalists have their way?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

None of these polls will pick up a late swing in the last two days, if one happened.

The only late swing took place in Valletta, Andy.

• Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited June 2014
    My word aren't people getting into a frenzy that some Labour and Libdems voters have supposedly voted for the Tories in a safe Tory seat. What's for certain is they won't be doing that in the marginals and they won't be doing that if the General Election looks like a tight result that could go to the Tories. Every seat lost by the Tories at the general election is a seat won by Labour.

It will only happen at the general election if the result is not in doubt and what chance of that is there......?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948
    rcs1000 said:

PS First

UKIPs best chances are in marginals I think. I wouldnt have thought there will be anti UKIP tactical voting in those seats
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    timmo said:

Well, if the LDs finish fifth, sixth or even seventh, I won't be too bothered.

I'll be too busy chuckling at the numpty who was going on about the Lib Dems losing control of Sutton and how Labour was going to win seven seats.
  • Options
    70 years ago tonight, Anglo-American airborne troops were already preparing to drop behind enemy lines in Normandy.
  • Options
    Those activists have gone home with the scent of victory in their nostrils.

And a few hangovers by the sound of it.
    stodge said:

Speedy said:

Yes, if only the Conservatives could get 1,000 activists into every constituency and get the Prime Minister to stop running the country and visit every constituency four times, who knows ?

On the other hand, YouGov suggests that if anyone is heading for a landslide, it's Labour but I'm sure you'd be happy with that ?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,948
    My favourite contemporary band are Haim... here they are dedicating a song to audience member David Cameron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1FqYwDH9I
  • Options
    Don't forget the Dunfermline by-election, where the bookies still expected Labour to win with the candidates on the platform.
  • Options

From the data tables

MEN Ukip 36.8/CON 36.2/LAB 15.7

WOMEN Ukip 16.8/CON 47.6/LAB 27.7"

The Helmer Effect (I named it first).
    Unappealing, old, sexist, chauvinist, out of touch man who's opinion results in extrordinary hate by women towards him.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    edited June 2014
    Nope, I'm still holding out for a surprise Kiptacular. If the masses can flood to UKIP in an EU election just for sh*ts and giggles then why not here? Dave's government isn't so great that it's immune from satire.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    MikeL said:

Very mixed week for Con - good news if they win Newark easily but the YouGov national polls really are terrible:

YouGov average Lab lead so far this week = 5.25 (4 polls).

That is the highest average Lab lead for 13 weeks - ie since the start of March - a real reversal of fortunes compared to just two weeks ago - when average Lab lead was 2.0 (and the week before that it was 1.8) - and no obvious explanation.

Labour has benefited from the Even Worse LibDem fortnight (which we'd really not thought possible) as well as a little swingback from UKIP as the "right wing nutter" meme in the media finally started to seep through. The botched Queen's Speech can't have helped either. If UKIP does poorly tonight, it's possible to imagine a Tory recovery and a return to something like 38-35 figures. But we probably need to wait a week or so until things settle down.
  • Options
    Hard to believe that when Mercer quit, the Tories 4/5 to take the seat.
  • Options
    The British People are fed up with David Camera-On and his Tired Cliched Rhetoric. Only Ed Miliband can save Britain from the Cost of Living Crisis. Our Bankers' Bonus Tax will let us Build Our Way Out of Recession. Miliband is the only One Nation Prime Minister. The choice at the next election is clear: Labour Investment versus Tory Cuts. Labour: Hardworking Britain Better Off.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Comrade Chancellor! You mean to say 70 years ago Europe was enslaved by a European super-state, and the same will be true in the 21st century if the Euro-federalists have their way?
    The European Union is not fascist, Comrade.

It is part of our team. The EUSSR!
  • Options
    Mr. Labour, splendid to see you back on.
  • Options
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole Jun 2
    Fav moment from Newark. Chap takes UKIP leaflet in town sq, cross wife snatches it: "You're not voting for them, or we are getting divorced"

That should have given us an idea.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Cue much short-lived gloating from the PB Tories heralding a new dawn with Dave leading them,like Moses,to the promised land.It will be unbearable for a little while on this particular blog.However,they should listen to the wise words of SunTzu.

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543

Those activists have gone home with the scent of victory in their nostrils.

And a few hangovers by the sound of it.

stodge said:

Speedy said:

Well everyone should experience success once in their life.........
  • Options

Nope, I'm still holding out for a surprise Kiptacular. If the masses can flood to UKIP in an EU election just for sh*ts and giggles then why not here? Dave's government isn't so great that it's immune from satire.

Because women and Labour voters hate Richard Helmer, he was too right wing.
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, didn't Moses die before reaching the Promised Land?

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Adam Boulton on SKY News says UKIP party workers are saying they have not managed to win from early indications - result may be earlier than expected as counting has already begun
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    A little bird is whistling that the Newark vote is 50%±
  • Options
    Oh and this poll really does make that University of Loughborough *poll* look like a really outlier.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I doubt if anti-UKIP tactical voting is a factor. Why should it be?

Still, maybe history will be made in this by-election. Is it possible, yes, I think we have to consider the possibility that it is possible, that, for the first time in recorded history, it might turn out that Patrick Mercer has done a favour to David Cameron?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    All gone from Betfair on the Tories.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    #BritainElects ‏@britainelects 1m

#RUMOUR that Newark by-election turnout is nearing 50%.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Cue much short-lived gloating from the PB Tories heralding a new dawn with Dave leading them,like Moses,to the promised land.It will be unbearable for a little while on this particular blog.However,they should listen to the wise words of SunTzu.

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."

Yeah, like Miliband has read Sun Tzu or would even be capable of understanding it if he tried. He may well win next May but if he does it will have nothing to do with his grasp of strategy, or anything else.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Tories to romp home?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

To romp home like Scipio Africanus at Zama
  • Options

RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

I bow to your superior historical knowledge. ;-) From the wiki, looks like Scipio didn't do too badly!
  • Options

Oh and this poll really does make that University of Loughborough *poll* look like a really outlier.

No it makes it look like a blatantly made up attempt to ramp

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

I bow to your superior historical knowledge. ;-) From the wiki, looks like Scipio didn't do too badly!
    He was up against a very inept opponent.

Roger Helmer = Hannibal
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

He was up against a very inept opponent.

Roger Helmer = Hannibal
    And I assume there are elephants involved in this analogy?? ;')
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

I was trying to be polite.

I'm going to do a thread on that poll for the weekend.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

To be crushed in the jaws of a modern Cannae.
  • Options
    UKIP might win a reprieve from the media due to the safety of the seat, but this was their worst campaign and candidate for at least a decade.
  • Options

The British People are fed up with David Camera-On and his Tired Cliched Rhetoric. Only Ed Miliband can save Britain from the Cost of Living Crisis. Our Bankers' Bonus Tax will let us Build Our Way Out of Recession. Miliband is the only One Nation Prime Minister. The choice at the next election is clear: Labour Investment versus Tory Cuts. Labour: Hardworking Britain Better Off.

Good to see you back on form, PTBL.

You misfired more than a bit on your previous post!

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Really?

Your defence is that Labour are cunningly luring the Tories into a false sense of security in the hope that they will arrogantly assume the next election is in the bag? That's why they didn't try all that hard in Newark?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, that's as silly as giving a magister equitum parity with the dictator.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    rogue poll or lost deposit? - come on the people's army..!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

RobD said:

Tories to romp home?

To be crushed in the jaws of a modern Cannae.
    Scipio Africanus wasn't at Cannae.

Surely in all the lessons I've given Morris Dancer on classical history.

PBers should know I'm the Daddy of Classical History.

My analogies are always perfect.

I crush my opponents like Boomer and Franks in Mesopotamia
  • Options
    UKIP 100/1 with Betfair.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2014
    Its at times like this one misses the utterly dishonest aspect(s) of tim. It wouldn't matter who won, the poison would be being injected.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Gupta's law of creative anomaly ;)
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Gupta's law of creative anomaly ;)
    That and I'm scared during the next general election, a typo by me is going to cause anarchy.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you've got the judgement of Varro and the objectivity of Flaminius.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

I love you, you stay just the right side of ridiculous, so we can tell you're a spoof, a good one, but spoof none the less.
  • Options
    First lesson for UKIP, dont put candidates that are publicly too right wing.
    Second lesson, put candidates that are women friendly.
  • Options
    One target for UKIP might be to get more than the winning share in Eastleigh which was 32.1%.
  • Options
    Genius cartoon in the Times (no paywall)

Craig Woodhouse ‏@craigawoodhouse 3m

Absolutely inspired. MT “@BrookesTimes: My cartoon: It's D-Day in Europe, and Dave's still fighting the last war.

pic.twitter.com/xi4sSmuxS2”
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, you've got the judgement of Varro and the objectivity of Flaminius.

And the humility of Crassus just before Carrhae
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Third lesson, manage expectations better. No good saying when you've lost you were never going to win if you've let expectations get ahead if themselves.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311
    edited June 2014

For Labour to lose votes in a by-election when they are in opposition and started the election campaign second to a government party would be an enormous feck-up for them.

It's one thing to have Labour voters vote tactically for the Lib Dems in somewhere like Eastleigh, but to have some Labour voters switching to UKIP to give the Tories a bloody nose and some Labour voters switching to the Tories to keep UKIP out would be a balls-up of the highest order.

Perhaps Labour supporters will be splitting into two voting groups: the 'Camibands', those who vote Tory to keep UKIP out; the 'Bloodies', those who vote UKIP to give the Tories a bloody nose. As you say, a catastrophe for Ed Miliband if it happens and will probably rule Labour out of regaining any current Tory-held seats.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I wonder whether Diane James could have won this.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

One target for UKIP might be to get more than the winning share in Eastleigh which was 32.1%.

Unlikely, no one is willing to vote tactically for them, only against them.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Absolutely inspired. MT “@BrookesTimes: My cartoon: It's D-Day in Europe, and Dave's still fighting the last war.

Further proof that Peter Brookes is one of the most unfunny cartoonists around.

Now, if you want funny:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02931/050614-MATT-web_2931580a.jpg

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, at least your becrazed utterances don't earn you his fate.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I am still struggling to figure out what was Labour's strategy in Newark. Was it really soft-pedalling in the hope that UKIP would hoover up enough Labour voters to embarrass the Tories? So it was really hoping that enough teachers, trade unionists etc etc etc would vote for UKIP? Really?
  • Options

Further proof that Peter Brookes is one of the most unfunny cartoonists around.

Now, if you want funny:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02931/050614-MATT-web_2931580a.jpg

Everyone knows Matt is the funniest and best cartoonist out there.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2014
    Speedy said:

Because women and Labour voters hate Richard Helmer, he was too right wing.
    Err, his name is 'Roger' not Richard, and his problem is he's the spitting image of Rev Paul Flowers, which is only one step up from the baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    According to Survation, UKIP actually won with men but came third with women. (I know it's not an exit poll).
  • Options

I am still struggling to figure out what was Labour's strategy in Newark. Was it really soft-pedalling in the hope that UKIP would hoover up enough Labour voters to embarrass the Tories? So it was really hoping that enough teachers, trade unionists etc etc etc would vote for UKIP? Really?

You get the feeling the current Labour leadership couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.
  • Options
    Right, off for the night. Hope Elvis did well.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I have no expectation that they will, or even should, but I really would laugh myself sick if UKIP has won in Newark. The screams of outraged entitlement would be wonderful to hear. It would probably be the biggest, and most deserved, shock to the ruling classes since 1381.
This discussion has been closed.