Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Ge

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014

AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

The more I read the Sunday Times' articles and stuff on the Qatari World Cup bid, I'm left with the following thoughts

1) It is a proper world exclusive
    2) A lot of hard work has gone into it
    3) They are going to have to rerun the bid for the 2022 world cup
    4) This is going to be the dominant story in the country for the next few days

It will certainly be of more interest to the bloke in the pub than anything else.
    Mr Jim

now listening to Die Forelle
    Silly old trout.

Mr P not at all, here in Warks we have a trout of time. I do hope you makr it up this way soon i'd be delighted to offer you food and accommodation. we'd treat you as well as Nadim Zahawis horses. let me know if you you're up this way. Now on Beethoven Violin Concerto,
    Ah possibly the most intriguing violin concerto out there, not as virtuosic as the later romantic pieces and on a vast scale. The first movement is longer than some entire works and the 4 beat timpani intro is cheeky. The third movement is boisterously entertaining, and the coda and final couple of bars are just genius.
    Violins

it's the 3 Bs

Beethoven, Bruch, Brahms. Can't be bettered.
    I like the Mendelssohn as well. The Bruch is amazing especially live.

Yes. For a while I hadn't listened to Bruch VC but Nicola Benedetti at the proms brought me back to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmMN-6g1L8w
    To be honest when it comes to concerti I prefer piano as the solo instrument but then it is an instrument I understand more having played for years.
    Are you a John Field fan ?
    Greatest Irish composer.

Anyway you will always like him for the St Petersburg connection !
    I do have a few recordings of John Field. He suffers from being regarded as Chopin's inspiration and predecessor. And like many of his time from being a contemporary of Ludwig.

Still like, say, Hummel, he survives and continues to give enjoyment.

P.S. 1959 and recorded through a hosepipe but sublime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BLYQIeVNNU

Moscow though not St. P!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    Mrs B calling time. Nytol.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    An exclusive poll of EU migrants commissioned by The Sunday Times last week showed more voted for UKIP than the Conservatives in the European elections. Of the 299 respondents, 19% said they voted for UKIP against 6% for Conservatives, 21% Labour and 22% each for the Lib Dems and Greens.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

An exclusive poll of EU migrants commissioned by The Sunday Times last week showed more voted for UKIP than the Conservatives in the European elections. Of the 299 respondents, 19% said they voted for UKIP against 6% for Conservatives, 21% Labour and 22% each for the Lib Dems and Greens.

The margin of error on that must be pretty big.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    Fitalass Indeed, Scotland is the only UK region where the Tory voteshare has not fallen since 2010 and Labour's voteshare has not risen. Indeed, the Tories are likely to make net gains in Scotland next year by picking up seats the LDs gained from them in '97 or earlier like Edinburgh West, Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine and Argyll and Bute, all of which have LD majorities of less than 10% over the Tories (and the LDs are on 7% in Scotland in the latest yougov). The Tories could treble or even quadruple their number of Scottish seats next year which, following a clear NO vote, would be a hammer blow to Salmond!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

The more I read the Sunday Times' articles and stuff on the Qatari World Cup bid, I'm left with the following thoughts

It will certainly be of more interest to the bloke in the pub than anything else.
    Mr Jim

Silly old trout.

Mr P not at all, here in Warks we have a trout of time. I do hope you makr it up this way soon i'd be delighted to offer you food and accommodation. we'd treat you as well as Nadim Zahawis horses. let me know if you you're up this way. Now on Beethoven Violin Concerto,
    Ah possibly the most intriguing violin concerto out there, not as virtuosic as the later romantic pieces and on a vast scale. The first movement is longer than some entire works and the 4 beat timpani intro is cheeky. The third movement is boisterously entertaining, and the coda and final couple of bars are just genius.
    Violins

it's the 3 Bs

Yes. For a while I hadn't listened to Bruch VC but Nicola Benedetti at the proms brought me back to it.

To be honest when it comes to concerti I prefer piano as the solo instrument but then it is an instrument I understand more having played for years.
    Greatest Irish composer.

Cobblers.

Percy French.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

AveryLP said:

ToryJim said:

Mr Jim

Silly old trout.

Violins

it's the 3 Bs

Greatest Irish composer.

Cobblers.

Percy French.
    Are Ye Right There Sir Roderick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7eH6JuL50
  • Options
    And to allow PBers to compare and contrast here is a selection of John Field's Nocturnes, a form which he is credited with inventing and which Chopin adopted and later made famous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2BJP6GTxWg

I like this comment from the YouTube page:

Fact: John Field was an Irish drunk who fell in love with Russian vodka and set up shop there, thus introducing Western piano music to the Russians :)

Can't beat that as a recommendation.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Haven't got round to looking this up yet, so let's see what happened:

Euro result in Broxtowe:

UKIP 9,488 (31.0%)
    Lab 8,118 (26.5%)
    Con 7,386 (24.1%)
    Green 2,374 (7.8%)
    LD 1,957 (6.4%)
    AIFE 467 (1.5%)
    BNP 444 (1.5%)
    Eng Dem 311 (1.0%)
    Harmony 43 (0.1%)

http://www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=13381

That's an impressive UKIP vote.

How does Gedling compare ?
    UKIP 10,085 (34.2%)
    Lab 7,867 (26.7%)
    Con 7,290 (24.7%)
    Green 1,803 (6.1%)
    LD 1,152 (3.9%)
    AIFE 515 (1.7%)
    BNP 399 (1.4%)
    Eng Dem 310 (1.1%)
    Harmony 54 (0.2%)
    How does that compare with the council votes in 2011.

At a guess it would suggest UKIP took more 2011 votes from Labour than from the Conservatives.
    Not sure yet, these are the figures:

http://www.andrewteale.me.uk/pdf/2013/notts13.pdf
  • Options
    Labour now 50 on Betfair.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited June 2014
    Socrates said:

Regardless of whether Frau Merkel sneers or pays us lip service, it is clear we have been left out of the inner ring of EU policy making for a very long time.

In this case it's not "been left out", it's "opted out". If Cameron's conservatives has stayed in the group with the rest of the EU's conservatives, they, as a fairly big country with a conservative government, would have had a lot of influence over the choice of the EPP candidate. Instead they left the group, and left the decision to Rajoy and Merkel.

Alternatively, if Cameron thinks his party's view is irreparably distinct from all the other conservatives (which doesn't seem to match his rhetoric about the EU moving his way) his group could have proposed its own candidate. They'd automatically have got debate slots to make the case for whatever it is that they want and if they'd won the election they could have had their guy instead.

It shouldn't be particularly surprising if having pretended the selection process isn't happening and refused to take part in it, you don't end up with the choice you want.
  • Options
    It's now or never for UKIP.

Everything is lining up nicely for Newark.

Straight off the Euros bounce...
    'Handlebar' Helmer, the most colourful candidate in a generation...
    Poll showing Labour third...

If they can't win now, I guess it's going to be never.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    RodCrosby said:

Sub-optimal demographics, though. They could lose this one and still win elsewhere, for example if Roger Gale chokes on his cornflakes.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Sub-optimal demographics, though. They could lose this one and still win elsewhere, for example if Roger Gale chokes on his cornflakes.
    If they're serious about insurgency, there's no such thing as sub-optimal.

SDP

Warrington 1981, rock-solid Labour, near miss
    Crosby 1981, rock-solid Tory, handsome win
    Hillhead 1982, Scottish Con-Lab marginal, narrow win

'could win elsewhere', with 11 months to go, and no other by-election in sight...
This discussion has been closed.