Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Ge

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Geneal Election

ComRes have polled on behalf of UKIP donor Paul Sykes asking what UKIP voters in the Euros would do at the next General Election, the telegraph reports that

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A lot hinges on what "likely" means.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    FPT: Would David Davis dare force a bye election now, given how well UKIP is doing at the moment?
  • Options
    "This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Geneal Election"

I think it's spelt "Genial Election".
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    @gin1138

If he wore the purple AND blue, would Dave dare deselect him?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502

"This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Geneal Election"

I think it's spelt "Genial Election".

Oops, fixed now.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Problem is 11.5% (extrapolation) doesn't get you any seats under FPTP if your vote is quite evenly spread...
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles

I am disappointed, "Genital Erection" would have been a far better typo.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

I am all in favour of balance Limp Pole, Use the money to improve and build the type of houses people need. Then pull down those big houses and build houses for the locals.
    This will help reduce house price inflation for the poorer people, and at the same time increasing the value of the remaining "Manor Houses"?
    A "win win" result as I am sure you will agree?

Pulling down "those big houses" would be cultural vandalism, Smarmy.

It reminds me of Alan Bennett referring to the closure of public libraries as "child abuse", though he may be more circumspect about using such language post Charlize Theron's remarks on rape.

The long gallery at Apethorpe Hall could indeed sleep a hundred fruit pickers. Although when an Approved School for Boys (1948-1982 - roughly) it was subdivided. If I remember the historical accounts correctly, this happened after some undesired fruit picking of which Alan Bennett would not approve.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Problem is 11.5% (extrapolation) doesn't get you any seats under FPTP if your vote is quite evenly spread...

Is the 26% Russell Johnston got in 1992 the lowest share of the vote by any winning candidate in a General Election?

If not, who holds that distinction?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,422
    A lot can happen in a year. Even those saying they'll definitely vote UKIP may not for all manner of reasons. If none other than the certains are retained then using the same calculation you get about 1.6m votes for UKIP which on a similar turnout to last time would be 4.5-5% or thereabouts. We shall see.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

As a UKIP voter in the Euro's. I would describe myself as 50/50 on whether I stick with the Kippers or drift back to CON.
    Although as a resident of Hertsmere, my vote doesn't count for much under FPTP

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I am disappointed, "Genital Erection" would have been a far better typo.

Auto correct once turned General Election into Venereal Election
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Except UKIP's vote isn't that evenly spread, as the Euro elections showed. For sure they are more even than most parties, but they are building up hot and cold spots at a good rate and have clusters of councillors.
  • Options

antifrank said:

As a UKIP voter in the Euro's. I would describe myself as 50/50 on whether I stick with the Kippers or drift back to CON.

Is Clappison standing?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932

antifrank said:

Lib Dems and Labour can't win in Hertsmere.

It's a 2 horse race.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    FPT
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

You do of course realise that if you can't afford to maintain a property, the local council can take ownership? Actually, you probably don't, that law is only for the "lower orders"

How absurd, Smarmy.

What would your average Lady Mayoress do in a boudoir?

Turn it into a media room with a seventy inch flat screen and home theatre system I suspect.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @AveryLP
    Sorry Avery, duty takes me elsewhere.
    But our mindless ping pong (or indeed wiff waff) was fun.
    We can do it all again later, with another subject if you desire?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    On topic (at last)

No need to worry about the ComRes poll findings.

Kippers are certain about everything.

They are certain they placed their keys on the hall table. They are certain that their grandchildren are coming to lunch this Sunday. They are certain they will vote UKIP next May.

Just smile sweetly and serve them a cup of tea.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Is Clappison standing?
    No idea tbh. Haven't seen anything to suggest either way.
    Has been a very good constituency MP, but would prefer someone with a higher profile.
    Boris would be cool though

• Options

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Is Clappison standing?
    Has been a very good constituency MP, but would prefer someone with a higher profile.

Well you had Cecil before so can understand that.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @alp

dave will prove to be a most assiduous teaboy if he loses newark..
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2014
    Latest new from Newark:

A full house at Kelham Hall for @RogerHelmerMEP @Nigel_Farage public meeting #VoteUKIP get #UKIP pic.twitter.com/b7kSxMgz5h

— David Sprason (@ruraloutback) May 31, 2014

Not only that but close to 300 UKIP activists very active in Newark today.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2014
    Why does everybody take the Euro results as their guide when in first past the post local elections on the same day UKIP saw what can only be described as a huge set-back. Down 6% in a year is a pretty bad appalling trend.

Why does anybody take any notice of a donor funded poll by ComRes - the firm that was overstated Ukip more than any other in the EP14 campaign?

The media narrative is all purple at the moment. We must not get overwhelmed.
  • Options
    @msmithson

momentum
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Lib Dems and Labour can't win in Hertsmere.

It's a 2 horse race.
    That certainly isn't what the Lib Dem leaflet said in 2010. They were the only ones that could beat CON. Despite finishing in 3rd place in 2005. Hertsmere is rock solid territory, would be shocked and stunned by any other result
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Just because they say now that they think they're likely to stick with the party in eleven months time, doesn't mean that they will. Most people aren't very good predictors of their own mood over a month, let alone a year.
    Feeling that you'd support them today - yes. That you'd support them in a few weeks, okay. That you'd support them next year ... a lot harder to put confidence into. Especially given the atmosphere over the past month or so.
    It may well be that UKIP will hold on to a decent chunk of this support - but it's got to be more likely that a significant chunk will fall away.
    My best guess is that it could be anywhere between 6% and 15% next year, and that we really don't have enough reliable information to narrow it down much further. And either extreme won't amount to many (if any) seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MikeK said:

Latest new from Newark:

A full house at Kelham Hall for @RogerHelmerMEP @Nigel_Farage public meeting #VoteUKIP get #UKIP pic.twitter.com/b7kSxMgz5h

Repeating my comment on the previous thread.

Very gay, me old Weathercock.

But where are the women?

Domestic duties?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Is Clappison standing?

One of my friends managed to get himself on the TV delivering Cecil's newspapers during the height of the Sarah Keys scandal. Was gutted when he stood down as never got the chance to vote for him, being only 16 during the 87 election
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

antifrank said:

Is Clappison standing?

One of my friends managed to get himself on the TV delivering Cecil's newspapers during the height of the Sarah Keys scandal. Was gutted when he stood down as never got the chance to vote for him, being only 16 during the 87 election
    Shame. His house is nice and the garden is huge.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @‌alp

"But where are the women?"

twitter.com/_Chris_Adams/status/472735843053211648/photo/1

Same meeting, different view..

ps: has dave done a public meeting yet? He's primeminister, surely somebody came?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Why does everybody take the Euro results as their guide when in first past the post local elections on the same day UKIP saw what can only be described as a huge set-back. Down 6% in a year is a pretty bad appalling trend.

Why does anybody take any notice of a donor funded poll by ComRes - the firm that was overstated Ukip more than any other in the EP14 campaign?

Calm down, Mike. Yes it's a positive narrative for UKIP for once; in exchange for 6 weeks of unrelenting bias and hate from all the organs of the establishment. And it was London that let UKIP down in the Locals and was a weakness in the Euros. Something we mean to put right.

BTW, I can offer you an escape from the L/Dems: Join UKIP.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

@‌alp

They have serious demographic issues.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this one.
    shiney2 said:

@gin1138

• Options
    edited May 2014
    shiney2 said:

@‌alp

ps: has dave done a public meeting yet? He's primeminister, surely somebody came?

Thank you, smiley.

I now have a new perspective of UKIP.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    MikeK said:

close to 300 UKIP activists very active in Newark today.

@OliverCooper: Brilliant to have 600 Conservative activists in #Newark today: the largest action day I've ever seen. @RoadTrip2015's the real #PeoplesArmy.
  • Options

Just because they say now that they think they're likely to stick with the party in eleven months time, doesn't mean that they will. Most people aren't very good predictors of their own mood over a month, let alone a year.
    Feeling that you'd support them today - yes. That you'd support them in a few weeks, okay. That you'd support them next year ... a lot harder to put confidence into. Especially given the atmosphere over the past month or so.
    It may well be that UKIP will hold on to a decent chunk of this support - but it's got to be more likely that a significant chunk will fall away.
    My best guess is that it could be anywhere between 6% and 15% next year, and that we really don't have enough reliable information to narrow it down much further. And either extreme won't amount to many (if any) seats.

That can, and probably will work the other way. More and more voters and supporters leaving the Lab/Lib/Cons in numbers that we cannot foresee.
  • Options
    Twitter
    Jeremy Browne ‏@JeremyBrowneMP 51m
    Drinking in Sheffield.

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 39m
    @JeremyBrowneMP to the good health and prosperity of your leader, no doubt

Jeremy Browne ‏@JeremyBrowneMP 17m
    @ShippersUnbound It's in his (electorally secure) constituency!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

shiney2 said:

@‌alp

They have serious demographic issues.

You mean they are all ex-conservatives?

• Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited May 2014
    It is an unintended consequence of camera phones. I first noticed the effect taking photos of the crowd at the great lady's funeral last year.
    When you look at the crowd, you see a lot of right arms raised at an unfortunate angle

twitter.com/halfon4harlowMP/status/472761190389919744/photo/1
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Is the 26% Russell Johnston got in 1992 the lowest share of the vote by any winning candidate in a General Election?

If not, who holds that distinction?
    Yes, Johnston, beating a record which had stood since 1922.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MikeK said:

Latest news from Newark:

reminds me of Crosby '81...
  • Options
    More good news from NewarK:

Massive UKIP support in Newark - Cons out in force but we matched them easily on the streets pic.twitter.com/fruvAEBUaR

— Nathan Gill (@NathanGillMEP) May 31, 2014
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    fitalass said:

If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this one.

shiney2 said:

@gin1138

More rubbish again. May has been an atrocious authoritarian Home Secretary who is an utter disgrace. The fact that she is happy, in spite of the chance to pull us away from EU controls on justice issues, to sign us back up to more than 30 areas of EU control shows just how awful she is. Davis would have been better in every way.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this oneave dare deselect him?

David Davis' resignation in 2008 forced the Conservatives to maintain their opposition to 42 days detention when Cameron was wavering. He was ultimately instrumental in seeing that pernicious piece of authoritarianism defeated. The reason that arch-loyalists like yourself dislike Davis so much is that (1) unlike the leadership of the Conservative Party, he has some principles, and (2) he is prepared to put those principles above personal ambition.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346

Yes, quite likely. However, we've got so used to talking about mid-term effects and a long time to adjust that we need to start adjusting to the final stages with 11 months to go. From October after the conferences I think we'll be de facto in a long General Election mode, and people are probably not all that skittish at this stage.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

MikeK said:

Latest news from Newark:

reminds me of Crosby '81...

It's the same audience a third of a century later, Sir Roderick.

Just a little less sprightly (more spritely perhaps).
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

2 data points is not a trend.

The LD local election results however do look like a trend:

2010: 24%
    2011: 16%
    2012: 15%
    2013: 13%
    2014: 11%
  • Options

fitalass said:

If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this oneave dare deselect him?

David Davis' resignation in 2008 forced the Conservatives to maintain their opposition to 42 days detention when Cameron was wavering. He was ultimately instrumental in seeing that pernicious piece of authoritarianism defeated. The reason that arch-loyalists like yourself dislike Davis so much is that (1) unlike the leadership of the Conservative Party, he has some principles, and (2) he is prepared to put those principles above personal ambition.
    Civil liberties was a useful pretext but there was a lot more to it than met the eye.
  • Options
    @alp

Interestingly, if the the 83GE had been only 11months after Crosby81, Roy Jenkins would probably have been PM.

We can better that..
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

fitalass said:

Civil liberties was a useful pretext but there was a lot more to it than met the eye.
    Sounds intriguing
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    MikeK said:

More good news from NewarK:

Massive UKIP support in Newark - Cons out in force but we matched them easily on the streets pic.twitter.com/fruvAEBUaR

— Nathan Gill (@NathanGillMEP) May 31, 2014

Sounds like they're gearing up for a street brawl.
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

@alp

Interestingly, if the the 83GE had been only 11months after Crosby81, Roy Jenkins would probably have been PM.

We can better that..

...pwobably.

I have to tell you that I am still in shock at Gareth's translation of the last line of that Italian article on College.

When the Italian press start portraying Farage as a friend by which the comedian Beppe Grillo should be judged, one does wonder what is happening in Europe.
  • Options

Yes, quite likely. However, we've got so used to talking about mid-term effects and a long time to adjust that we need to start adjusting to the final stages with 11 months to go. From October after the conferences I think we'll be de facto in a long General Election mode, and people are probably not all that skittish at this stage.

Very true.
    And on the one hand, we've got the well known tendency of people to gravitate back to what they did/felt before - and on the other, the iconoclastic desire to break past the current established options.

I've long been of the opinion that the disillusionment that many of the electorate have with the political process and the concomitant worldwide dropping in turnout figures, near-contempt of politicians in general and now the surge to A N Other option come from seeds sewn by the partisans and tribalists themselves. One example that springs to mind is the Labour PPB on "The Un-Credible Shrinking Man". Purely bashing. I could certainly grab ones from other parties as well, mind you.

It may have worked well in the past when there was a greater tendency to align oneself with a political tribe, but now we have the problem that most people listen to all sides, dismiss the positive bits that each side says about itself with "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they" ... and believe the negative ones. From all of them.

So the various parties have convinced the public: Tories are evil, grasping and heartless. Labour are stupid, warmongering and Britain-hating. Lib Dems are treacherous, self-serving and indecisive.

So - why should we expect the public to turn out and vote for one of the main choice if they've been assured that the choices are:

A - Evil
    B - Stupid
    C - Treacherous?

And should we be surprised that they search for someone - anyone - else?

• Options
    Ahem. Sorry. Rant mode = off.
    :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    UKIP's projected share of 17% this year looks right, but last year's 23% seemed too high IMO.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AveryLP said:

shiney2 said:

@alp

We can better that..

...pwobably.

Are you a ranker @cchq?

• Options

More rubbish again. May has been an atrocious authoritarian Home Secretary who is an utter disgrace. The fact that she is happy, in spite of the chance to pull us away from EU controls on justice issues, to sign us back up to more than 30 areas of EU control shows just how awful she is. Davis would have been better in every way.

Richard, you do @Fitalass a disservice. There is no doubt that May has been 'a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been'. The important qualification to note is 'Tory'. Hence the support for the Terrorist Prevention and Investigation Measures Act 2011, the introduction of closed material procedures in all civil proceedings bar inquests, the creation of new and unnecessary criminal offences, and now ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation. This is able and effective Tory authoritarianism in practice.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

fitalass said:

Strong on civil liberties, eurosceptic, firm on law and order, understands working class people, a self-made man. I'm pretty sure UKIP wouldn't have emerged if Davis had been in charge.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Buttler and Bopara are having a huge set-back.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited May 2014
    Unfortunately . the responders to this poll spoke with forked tongues . If you take the figures for the question How likely are you going to vote for Party X at the GE next year and take 100% of those 10/10 90% of those 9/10 80% of those 8/10 etc you get the following % share for each party next year as

Con 39%
    Lab 39%
    LDem 23%
    UKIP 33%
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited May 2014
    EDIT - Reply to Andy Cooke

Very true.
    And on the one hand, we've got the well known tendency of people to gravitate back to what they did/felt before - and on the other, the iconoclastic desire to break past the current established options.

I've long been of the opinion that the disillusionment that many of the electorate have with the political process and the concomitant worldwide dropping in turnout figures, near-contempt of politicians in general and now the surge to A N Other option come from seeds sewn by the partisans and tribalists themselves. One example that springs to mind is the Labour PPB on "The Un-Credible Shrinking Man". Purely bashing. I could certainly grab ones from other parties as well, mind you.

It may have worked well in the past when there was a greater tendency to align oneself with a political tribe, but now we have the problem that most people listen to all sides, dismiss the positive bits that each side says about itself with "Well, they would say that, wouldn't they" ... and believe the negative ones. From all of them.

So the various parties have convinced the public: Tories are evil, grasping and heartless. Labour are stupid, warmongering and Britain-hating. Lib Dems are treacherous, self-serving and indecisive.

So - why should we expect the public to turn out and vote for one of the main choice if they've been assured that the choices are:

A - Evil
    B - Stupid
    C - Treacherous?

And should we be surprised that they search for someone - anyone - else?

I like your summary.
    The vast majority of the people I know are non political.
    Many take the view that no matter who you vote for. You get screwed.
    They haven't been screwed by UKIP yet, so what's to lose by voting for them as the alternatives are no better.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

UKIP's projected share of 17% this year looks right, but last year's 23% seemed too high IMO.

Yeah - the UKIP estimates may well have more of a pinch of salt around them than the others. If the principle is to extrapolate from areas of historical strength and weakness and how support has changed over the cycle to estimate a national equivalent vote share, then having a party like UKIP is far more of a challenge. Which are the areas of historical strength and weakness? How has the cycle changed them? You'd have to estimate onto estimate.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966

Richard, you do @Fitalass a disservice. There is no doubt that May has been 'a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been'. The important qualification to note is 'Tory'. Hence the support for the Terrorist Prevention and Investigation Measures Act 2011, the introduction of closed material procedures in all civil proceedings bar inquests, the creation of new and unnecessary criminal offences, and now ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation. This is able and effective Tory authoritarianism in practice.
    Sorry yes I understand you. The sort of authoritarian rubbish that Fitlass considers acceptable is not the same as more reasonable people would consider the mark of a good Home Secretary.

I suppose that also explains why May is happy to sign over so much power to the EU. Tories are only interested paying lip service to limiting the power of the EU over our affairs. In reality they are more than happy to see control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this one.

Huge lines at passport control. Immigration levels at more than double the target a year before the election. Massive and obvious fraud in the process had to be uncovered by the BBC and the Mail. Millions of untracked migrants. A badly privatised system for visa applicants abroad. No abolition of New Labour's erosions of liberty on counter-terrorism powers. Mass spying on British citizens without probable cause, including stealing the contents of their communications.

If this is what an "able and effective" home secretary looks like, I'd hate to see what a bad one is. May is a disgrace.
  • Options
    UKPR comment

MRNAMELESS
    'UKIP claim they had 500 canvassers here this morning. I doubt it was that high but certainly in decent three figures. Farage has been here today. Spoke to some Tory people who think they’re about to lose.'
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Socrates said:

fitalass said:

Strong on civil liberties, eurosceptic, firm on law and order, understands working class people, a self-made man. I'm pretty sure UKIP wouldn't have emerged if Davis had been in charge.
    You're probably right.

With Gordon Brown as Prime Minister at the moment, their focus would be on the fight for the soul of the Tory party.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

fitalass said:

Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this one.

Huge lines at passport control. Immigration levels at more than double the target a year before the election. Massive and obvious fraud in the process had to be uncovered by the BBC and the Mail. Millions of untracked migrants. A badly privatised system for visa applicants abroad. No abolition of New Labour's erosions of liberty on counter-terrorism powers. Mass spying on British citizens without probable cause, including stealing the contents of their communications.

If this is what an "able and effective" home secretary looks like, I'd hate to see what a bad one is. May is a disgrace.
    Actually, if she has managed to deliver all of that, then she probably is able and effective. You just disagree with her objectives ;-)
  • Options
    Charles said:

You're probably right.

With Gordon Brown as Prime Minister at the moment, their focus would be on the fight for the soul of the Tory party.

That is a hopeless argument. Cameron added 3.7% to what Michael Howard achieved in 2005 against Blair during an economic bubble. There is no reason to think that Davis would have been as unappealing to the public as Cameron.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

Actually, if she has managed to deliver all of that, then she probably is able and effective. You just disagree with her objectives ;-)
    You regard huge queues at passport control as an achievement?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Sorry yes I understand you. The sort of authoritarian rubbish that Fitlass considers acceptable is not the same as more reasonable people would consider the mark of a good Home Secretary.

I suppose that also explains why May is happy to sign over so much power to the EU. Tories are only interested paying lip service to limiting the power of the EU over our affairs. In reality they are more than happy to see control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels.
    Allowing a supranational court to hear appeals on the EAW process is neither "ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation" nor is it "see[ing] control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels". It is simply a pragmatic and sensible means of resolving international disputes.

When I enter into a commercial contract with a overseas counterparty, the contract will be subject to an agreed jurisdiction and an arbitral process may additionally agreed under the jurisdiction of a different country, often not that of either of the principal parties to the contract (Sweden seems to have cornered this market).

Sometimes the anti-EU cause can drive its advocates to such unjustified hyperbole.
  • Options
    FPT

Under the "Everything but arms" arrangement the Least Developed Countries have tarrif free access to the EU: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_but_Arms

The CAP is now a much smaller percentage of the EU budget than it one was, and while slow, reform has happened. For this to continue to occur we need a strong UK presence in the European parliament; but what we got last week were a bunch of no show loadmouths like the awful shouty Boars on QT the other night.

The EU is a better place for having us within it, and we are a better place for being in it.

The EBA agreement excludes huge countries like Nigeria, who have tens of millions on the breadline. It also generates good headlines but throws spanners in the work by requiring every element of the production to be in that one country, which is beyond the capabilities of many of these countries to do.

As for reform happening, this is complete drivel. Dumping on the world market still happens. Highly perverse economic incentives remain. Overproduction is still huge. The cost of CAP has just gone up and up and up. The fact other wastes of money in the EU budget have gone up more doesn't make it any better. If we can't get decent reform in 13 years of New Labour being 'at the heart of Europe', and giving away half our rebate, when can we ever reasonably expect reform? You're banging your head on the same wall over and over and expecting a different result.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,638
    I'll stick with my prediction of 10% for UKIP at the GE. Neck and neck with the LibDems for 3rd place.

• Options

I am in favour of CAP reform, but Countries such as USA and Japan have major tariff and non tariff barriers against African agricultural exports. How would CAP reform be enhanced by us leaving the EU? And would not there be just as much incentive for us to have protectionist tariffs on our own?

This is stupid whataboutism. Yes, USA has barriers that are far too high, but the European ones are twice what any other major market has. Plus the European market is the naturally one to ship to, due to geographic proximity. No, there wouldn't be incentive for us to have protectionist tariffs on our own, as all four major political parties in this country support removing them. Not that that matters a jot in the EU, where it's Germany and France first, the UK a distant last, and the world's poorest nowhere at all.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I still can't understand how punters gave Labour a better chance of winning Newark than UKIP a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

You're probably right.

This is absurd. UKIP have shown how many Labour votes were ripe for the taking. A principled, working class Tory could clearly have won them over.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Allowing a supranational court to hear appeals on the EAW process is neither "ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation" nor is it "see[ing] control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels". It is simply pragmatic and sensible.

When I enter into a commercial contract with a overseas counterparty, the contract will be subject to an agreed jurisdiction and an arbitral process may additionally agreed under the jurisdiction of a different country, often not that of either of the principal parties to the contract (Sweden seems to have cornered this market).

Sometimes the anti-EU cause can drive its advocates to unjustified hyperbole.

Avery, can you give a single example since the Reformation where the decision of an English court has been liable to be overturned by a foreign tribunal in a criminal cause or matter? The only one I can think of is Blair's mad decision to sign us up to the International Criminal Court. The government now plans on giving that power to the Court of Justice of the European Union as well.

I have no problem with parties to a contract voluntarily subjecting themselves to the jurisdiction of foreign courts. That in not comparable to what is being proposed. It may be argued that ceding sovereignty is both "pragmatic and sensible". That in no way stops what the government is proposing being a session of sovereignty. There is a reason that when the sovereignty of the Crown-in-Parliament was first declared, it was done in an Act in restraint of appeals in 1533.
  • Options
    @‌alp

"..ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject.."

"When I enter into a commercial contract with a overseas counterparty.."

You appear to confusing commercial law with the criminal law.

Unless of course you are trading rather esoteric "goods". I had thought the Royal Navy put a stop to that in the 1840's.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

No. She hasn't been able to get to grips with the failings at UKBA, she has let private companies run riot with much of the system, she has let the police and the security services get away with blatant abuses of liberty and she's buckling to the EU over arrest warrants. The whole picture is a woman who can't control anyone around her.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    AveryLP said:

Allowing a supranational court to hear appeals on the EAW process is neither "ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation" nor is it "see[ing] control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels". It is simply a pragmatic and sensible means of resolving international disputes.

Sometimes the anti-EU cause can drive its advocates to such unjustified hyperbole.
    What you do in the privacy of your own contracts is down to you. The criminal law is another matter altogether not least because it deals with the liberty of the subject. The EAW is both an abomination and unnecessary. That a present Conservative minister thinks it a good idea just shows unfit for office Cameron and his clique are.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Allowing a supranational court to hear appeals on the EAW process is neither "ceding jurisdiction over the liberty of the subject to foreign courts for the first time since the Reformation" nor is it "see[ing] control of our Justice system slip away to Brussels". It is simply pragmatic and sensible.

Avery, can you give a single example since the Reformation where the decision of an English court has been liable to be overturned by a foreign tribunal in a criminal cause or matter? The only one I can think of is Blair's mad decision to sign us up to the International Criminal Court. The government now plans on giving that power to the Court of Justice of the European Union as well.

I have no problem with parties to a contract voluntarily subjecting themselves to the jurisdiction of foreign courts. That in not comparable to what is being proposed. It may be argued that ceding sovereignty is both "pragmatic and sensible". That in no way stops what the government is proposing being a session of sovereignty. There is a reason that when the sovereignty of the Crown-in-Parliament was first declared, it was done in an Act in restraint of appeals in 1533.
    M'Lud, I shall defer to your better knowledge of legal precedent.

My point is simple.

UK issues EAW to seek extradition of German national to the UK for trial on a professional negligence manslaughter type charge.

Germany resists EAW by fiddling with procedure.

How is the matter to be resolved?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

My point is simple.

UK issues EAW to seek extradition of German national to the UK for trial on a professional negligence manslaughter type charge.

BOO
  • Options
    shiney2 said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

My point is simple.

BOO
    2U2

• Options
    Twitter
    Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 8m
    Great @DerSPIEGEL exclusive: Cameron tells Merkel he can no longer guarantee UK's EU membership if Juncker runs EC. http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/cameron-droht-merkel-wegen-juncker-lucke-will-zu-tories-a-972685.html
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

shiney2 said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

My point is simple.

BOO
    2U2

Nick Clegg your speechwriter?
  • Options
    O/T Piers Morgan has a bet on the cricket with Jeffery Archer.
    Wish they could both lose
    Piers Morgan @piersmorgan · 47m
    I have 228 as the over-under with @Jeffrey_Archer on England's score. He's over, I'm under. He's feeling confident. So am I.. #Lords
  • Options
    Great news.
    Twitter
    The Times of London ‏@thetimes 1m
    Latest: Sudanese official says Meriam Ibrahim is 'to be freed' http://thetim.es/1tXYlcf #SaveMeriam (Photo: Alayaam) pic.twitter.com/JfclNLfyhp
  • Options

AveryLP said:

... The EAW is both an abomination and unnecessary. ...
    Why and in what way?

My argument on appeals is not dependent on the EAW being good law. It follows from the assumption that the treaty obligation exists.

But I am happy for the the subject to be changed.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

I still can't understand how punters gave Labour a better chance of winning Newark than UKIP a couple of weeks ago.

Indeed, to win Labour would need their biggest swing this parliament, and their biggest since Wirral South 1997...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

I have 228 as the over-under with @Jeffrey_Archer on England's score. He's over, I'm under. He's feeling confident. So am I.. #Lords

228 ought to do it? ;-)
  • Options

If he's done that as a spread bet, he'll be feeling a bit sick: England 289/6 with one over to go, chasing 301
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    AveryLP said:

My point is simple.

Consider as follows: A District Judge at Westminster Magistrates' Court issues an arrest warrant in respect of AB on a charge of murder. AB is in the Commonwealth of Australia. The Australian authorities are notified. The courts in Australia determine that AB is ineligible to be surrendered to the United Kingdom on procedural grounds. The Australian authorities view this as the enforcement of the rule of law, the British as 'fiddling with procedure'. What is to be done? Nothing, certainly not the creation of a supranational tribunal with power to overrule either the Australian or British courts. Anyone who suggested such a proposal would be considered mad, and rightly so. There is no reason why extradition to and from European Union Member States should be subject to different principles.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Great news.
    Twitter
    The Times of London ‏@thetimes 1m
    Latest: Sudanese official says Meriam Ibrahim is 'to be freed' http://thetim.es/1tXYlcf #SaveMeriam (Photo: Alayaam) pic.twitter.com/JfclNLfyhp

Whilst releasing her is welcome, has the sentence been overturned or will she still be subject to 100 lashes etc? Until we know for certain I'd be cautious.
  • Options

Charles said:

You're probably right.

That is a hopeless argument. Cameron added 3.7% to what Michael Howard achieved in 2005 against Blair during an economic bubble. There is no reason to think that Davis would have been as unappealing to the public as Cameron.
    I think it is a pretty common view. Don't recall stats to back it up. Certainly unlikely that he would have been able to do a deal with the LibDems in the same way.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

AveryLP said:

My point is simple.

Consider as follows: A District Judge at Westminster Magistrates' Court issues an arrest warrant in respect of AB on a charge of murder. AB is in the Commonwealth of Australia. The Australian authorities are notified. The courts in Australia determine that AB is ineligible to be surrendered to the United Kingdom on procedural grounds. The Australian authorities view this as the enforcement of the rule of law, the British as 'fiddling with procedure'. What is to be done? Nothing, certainly not the creation of a supranational tribunal with power to overrule either the Australian or British courts. Anyone who suggested such a proposal would be considered mad, and rightly so. There is no reason why extradition to and from European Union Member States should be subject to different principles.
    M'Lud.

The fact there is no process for adjudicating international disputes on extradition proceedings is a systemic weakness not grounds for opposing its geographically limited introduction elsewhere.

• Options

Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

You regard huge queues at passport control as an achievement?
    I doubt they exist. I travel through Heathrow about 3 times (each way) a week. there are long queues about once every 2-3 weeks, which suggests to me that it's an issue with staffing rather than something May is responsible for. For instance, on Friday, there was a queue of about 30 people in front of the manual check, but the electronic check was completely empty.

But I was just pointing out to Socrates that "able and effective" does not necessarily imply that he likes the outcome. For instance, I think Putin is an able and effective leader of Russia, but I'd hate to live in a country ruled by him.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    fitalass said:

shiney2 said:

@gin1138

Davis is the biggest disappointment in modern British politics. I was a huge fan when he did his ancient-rights thing and even donated to his fighting fund, but it's transpired that was all just a five-minute wonder. Since then his only contributions have been to make homophobic rants in London bars and slippery surmises for Michael Crick by canteen service hatches. A total dud.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Really?

Jurisdiction is always a fight (particularly when Americans are involved) but the ones I've seen usual end up as England, Germany, or Switzerland (for arbitration). I've worked under Danish and Norwegian law before, but only when they were my clients and I had instructions to absolutely not budge on the issue.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    AndyJS said:

They assumed that LAB would campaign hard - which is not what's happened. I'm now on a UKIP victory at an average 4.2/1
  • Options
    Der Spiegel, the German magazine, reported that the Prime Minister told Mrs Merkel that picking Mr Juncker for the job would “destabilise his government to such a point that it would bring forward a referendum on whether to exit the EU” – a move which could lead to Britain leaving.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/10867373/Cameron-warned-Merkel-over-Britain-quitting-European-Union.html
This discussion has been closed.