Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This ComRes poll suggests UKIP will not be fading at the Ge

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SuellaFernandes: Good to see you at #Rob4Newark @JBrokenshire, @trussliz and @mwyp http://t.co/0al1wrR1fd

This photo only has 5 Tories in it. Clearly they were exaggerating the numbers...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

I have a feeling this is going to be UKIP's 'Crosby moment'...

So who is the upper-middle class Tory sounding, Labour renouncing, photogenic Catholic woman appealing to a Catholic population?

Different seat, different times.

But Helmer has the mo'.

I wouldn't be surprised if the independent folks of Newark prefer UKIP's mustachioed Gerald Nabarro lookalike over the Tory who looks like he's just left the sixth form...

Why not? It might only be for a year anyhow. Would put the town on the map...
    Helmer is nothing like Sir Gerald Nabarro.

Helmer has a wimpy, droopy, dodgy moustache.

Nabarro's was the real McCoy.

See here: http://bit.ly/1oHDPg6

Though I could see Helmer driving through Newark in a 1970s Triumph Dolomite with a registration plate of "HEL 10". Very gay.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'I said here a year or two ago that Continental interest in Cameron's posturing was exhausted. They'll give us anything that they don't care about, and that's it'

They must be praying Ed wins next year and then they can do whatever they want for the next 5 years.

Possibly. Not that I think they care politically whether Ed or Cameron win, but if Cameron does his people will bang on about the issue a lot more even if Ed will be forced to make the occasional anti-EU comments to try and address what people actually feel about the EU without actually doing so.
    Once again, very, very few people care about Europe. Survey after survey shows it is not a salient issue - those who do care, care very much - but they are in a tiny minority
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Back from Lords, buttler innings was unforgettable. Not seen a team carried like that by one man before, oh hang on I'm a a spurs fan.

Bale
  • Options
    HopiSenHopiSen Posts: 48
    AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

So who is the upper-middle class Tory sounding, Labour renouncing, photogenic Catholic woman appealing to a Catholic population?

But Helmer has the mo'.

I wouldn't be surprised if the independent folks of Newark prefer UKIP's mustachioed Gerald Nabarro lookalike over the Tory who looks like he's just left the sixth form...

Though I could see Helmer driving through Newark in a 1970s Triumph Dolomite with a registration plate of "HEL 10". Very gay.
    know who Nabarro's researcher was? Christine Hamilton. Who now joins her husband in attacking the political class, naturally!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

Quite.There's very little harm that could come to the place even if Helmer were a total embarrassment and/or a terrible local representative given the short time frame. There's certainly scope for those who just want to give any government a kicking to outnumber those genuinely concerned at the impact on Cameron and the Tories from a UKIP victory (both of which added to the base vote)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    perdix said:

I was firmly in favour of fracking myself (who wouldn't be), till I researched it a little more and found that the success story of US fracking has been grossly exaggerated, with massive depletion rates and the oil companies getting badly burned. This article is long but worth it: http://nsnbc.me/2014/03/13/fracked-usa-shale-gas-bubble/

I believe that the geology in the States is quite different and UK frackers will find fewer worthwhile sites. So don't prejudge the UK situation.

Surely finding fewer sites would make the returns even lower? Unless they were fewer sites but of higher yield. However, the point of the article is a general one that you get a big hit when you first frack, but that depletion is such that you need to keep investing more and more for ever decreasing amounts of gas. That doesn't sound like a great prospect, but yes, of course we must keep an open mind.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited May 2014
    If there is no Newark poll in the Sunday papers (and it's looking that way) then that is very, very good news for the Conservatives.

They were dead lucky that Survation had UKIP and Lab almost tied so that poll would not have induced tactical voting.

It's very unusual for any polls to come out on Sunday night so looks as if the next Newark poll is Ashcroft at Monday 4pm - which is getting pretty late to induce a lot of tactical voting as it takes time for such a message to feed through to Joe Public.

Plus of course all the postals will already be in.

If Con do win narrowly I am in no doubt it will be because of the lack of polls. A couple of polls at least a week before polling day with UKIP well clear of Lab would have been fatal for Con.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Labour could refuse to vote for the dissolution and take over the government for a while

Twaddle. Unelected parties can't just 'take over'. The would mean in effect that the Queen, through royal appointment, was unilaterally picking the government. It would be a constitutional outrage and Her Majesty would never be permitted to be embarrassed in such a way.
    The Queen could not dissolve Parliament if there were not enough votes for the Dissolution resolution. That would be a constitutional outrage. Labour could form a minority government and the Opposition could vote them out through a no confidence motion.

I am not saying it will happen though.
    This was actually mooted during the first Gulf War when Maggie was ousted. The 'thought' went that as we were at war and the Tories were in disarray could HM appoint Kinnock as prime minister for the good of the nation? The answer was that the monarch would have no part in such a grubby ruse to usurp the will of the electorate, nor should she be embarrassed by being asked to.
    This pompous, obsequious language adopted by some to the Queen drives me further and further away from the monarchy, as I get older. "Nor should she be embarrassed" etc.

I heard Jacob Rees-Mogg snivelling on HIGNFY's Odd One Out round the other day that "I wouldn't be so rude to call Her Majesty odd".

The Queen is lovely. But you do realise she was born into it? She isn't a deity. She wees and poos like the rest of us.

Enough.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'I said here a year or two ago that Continental interest in Cameron's posturing was exhausted. They'll give us anything that they don't care about, and that's it'

They must be praying Ed wins next year and then they can do whatever they want for the next 5 years.

Possibly. Not that I think they care politically whether Ed or Cameron win, but if Cameron does his people will bang on about the issue a lot more even if Ed will be forced to make the occasional anti-EU comments to try and address what people actually feel about the EU without actually doing so.
    Once again, very, very few people care about Europe. Survey after survey shows it is not a salient issue - those who do care, care very much - but they are in a tiny minority
    That's why I said occasional. Most people do not like the EU, though fewer want to actually leave, but almost all are not passionate about it, as you point out. Reminding people every now and again that the EU is a bit crap in certain ways, is enough for most people.

• Options
    HopiSen said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

But Helmer has the mo'.

know who Nabarro's researcher was? Christine Hamilton. Who now joins her husband in attacking the political class, naturally!
    That news is enough to make me drive the wrong way round a roundabout, Hopi.

I shall take a lie down.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,171
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this oneave dare deselect him?

David Davis' resignation in 2008 forced the Conservatives to maintain their opposition to 42 days detention when Cameron was wavering. He was ultimately instrumental in seeing that pernicious piece of authoritarianism defeated. The reason that arch-loyalists like yourself dislike Davis so much is that (1) unlike the leadership of the Conservative Party, he has some principles, and (2) he is prepared to put those principles above personal ambition.
    Strong on civil liberties, eurosceptic, firm on law and order, understands working class people, a self-made man. I'm pretty sure UKIP wouldn't have emerged if Davis had been in charge.
    You're probably right.

With Gordon Brown as Prime Minister at the moment, their focus would be on the fight for the soul of the Tory party.
    This is absurd. UKIP have shown how many Labour votes were ripe for the taking. A principled, working class Tory could clearly have won them over.
    Provide evidence, rather than mere assertion, and I may engage on the topic.
    Charles

If you're prepared to do five minutes of research at UKPR you'll see that the biggest falls in Labour support in 2010 was in wwc industrial areas throughout the country.

However in many of these the main beneficiary of this wasn't the Conservatives but UKIP, BNP or EDP.

It is almost certain that a working class Conservative leader emphasising working class issues would have picked up extra support in these areas.

Instead the 'Cameron Project' chose to target middle class leftists and metropolitan trendies as the key swing voters. The results in Hammersmith, Tooting, Hampstead, Eltham, Westminster North and similar places outside London show the failure of this strategy.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited May 2014
    Nabaro's moustache was unmistakable! ......Well mostly...

"The press had a field day. The cartoonist JAK, in the Evening Standard, depicted a police line up of young women, one with a handlebar moustache. The case came to court, the jury disbelieved Nabarro, the judge pronounced his behaviour "outrageous" and fined him £250. Stoutly proclaiming his innocence on his honour as an MP, he went to appeal. "

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/dec/27/hamiltonvalfayed.features11
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

Nick, you ignored my question earlier.

Does "sensible cooperation" with our EU partners include giving up our rebate for nothing but empty promises?

Sorry, thought you were being rhetorical rather than seeking information. No, not a good idea to give up anything for empty promises.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

surbiton said:

Labour could refuse to vote for the dissolution and take over the government for a while

Twaddle. Unelected parties can't just 'take over'. The would mean in effect that the Queen, through royal appointment, was unilaterally picking the government. It would be a constitutional outrage and Her Majesty would never be permitted to be embarrassed in such a way.
    The Queen could not dissolve Parliament if there were not enough votes for the Dissolution resolution. That would be a constitutional outrage. Labour could form a minority government and the Opposition could vote them out through a no confidence motion.

This was actually mooted during the first Gulf War when Maggie was ousted. The 'thought' went that as we were at war and the Tories were in disarray could HM appoint Kinnock as prime minister for the good of the nation? The answer was that the monarch would have no part in such a grubby ruse to usurp the will of the electorate, nor should she be embarrassed by being asked to.
    This pompous, obsequious language adopted by some to the Queen drives me further and further away from the monarchy, as I get older. "Nor should she be embarrassed" etc.

I heard Jacob Rees-Mogg snivelling on HIGNFY's Odd One Out round the other day that "I wouldn't be so rude to call Her Majesty odd".

The Queen is lovely. But you do realise she was born into it? She isn't a deity. She wees and poos like the rest of us.
    My gods, I think no monarchist had ever realised that, thank you. Not embarrassing the head of state is pretty important if the position is to remain politically neutral and thus accessible to everyone who is not a republican, which of course is one of the whole points of having an unelected but powerless head of state as opposed to one with power or elected but with no power. It's not really obsequiousness, but recognition of political pragmatism in keeping the position free from the grubby day to day poltical reality.

As for Rees-Mogg, I highly doubt he was snivelling in a genuine way. He is a posh, sort of weird person (or at least comes across that way), and he quite clearly plays that up even more for things like HIGNFY and over deference is probably a part of that.
  • Options
    This comment by MRNAMELESS at UKPR is also worth mentioning:

"The Tories bussed in a lot of campaigners from London who we kept seeing but they don’t seem to have made too much impression – not many people saying Tory on the doorstep, certainly more UKIP."

A bunch of London Spads and PPEs fckwits are not likely to impress anyone other than themselves. On the contrary they are part of the reason why UKIP has picked up support.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

But Helmer has the mo'.

Avery

Have you considered joining UKIP so as to provide more ammunition to smear them.

You've just added a homophobia to your famous 'ragheads' comment.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493

This comment by MRNAMELESS at UKPR is also worth mentioning:

"The Tories bussed in a lot of campaigners from London who we kept seeing but they don’t seem to have made too much impression – not many people saying Tory on the doorstep, certainly more UKIP."

A bunch of London Spads and PPEs fckwits are not likely to impress anyone other than themselves. On the contrary they are part of the reason why UKIP has picked up support.

They bussed in as many if not more from Manchester, York and points north.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles

If you're prepared to do five minutes of research at UKPR you'll see that the biggest falls in Labour support in 2010 was in wwc industrial areas throughout the country.

However in many of these the main beneficiary of this wasn't the Conservatives but UKIP, BNP or EDP.

It is almost certain that a working class Conservative leader emphasising working class issues would have picked up extra support in these areas.

Instead the 'Cameron Project' chose to target middle class leftists and metropolitan trendies as the key swing voters. The results in Hammersmith, Tooting, Hampstead, Eltham, Westminster North and similar places outside London show the failure of this strategy.

Very sure of yourself, aren't you.

I have never questioned - despite your implication - that the biggest falls in Labour support in 2010 was in wwc industrial areas.

What I do not believe is that a Conservative leader would have picked up meaningful extra support in these areas.

Cameron delivered nearly 100 extra seats for the Tories in 2010. It wasn't enough, but it was a damn good try. David Davis would gave been a disaster as leader of the party, which is why I voted against him.

That idiotic stunt of getting busty women to turn up at Conference wearing tight tee-shirts stating "it's DD for me" gives you a measure of the man's tactical acumen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1500261/A-robot-in-the-headlights.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Charles said:

Charles

That idiotic stunt of getting busty women to turn up at Conference wearing tight tee-shirts stating "it's DD for me" gives you a measure of the man's tactical acumen.

Sounds more like a Putin strategy, that. Or Berlusconi I suppose.

• Options

Charles said:

Does "sensible cooperation" with our EU partners include giving up our rebate for nothing but empty promises?

Sorry, thought you were being rhetorical rather than seeking information. No, not a good idea to give up anything for empty promises.
    So why did you support the government that regarded such an approach as sensible?
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Charles said:

Socrates said:

Charles said:

Socrates said:

fitalass said:

If David Davis pulled a stunt like that, he really would effectively be ending his career as a Conservative politician altogether. The fact that Davis has never been invited back to the Conservative front bench since he resigned as Shadow Home Secretary and caused that by-election in his own seat should tell you that Cameron wouldn't think twice about deselecting him. Theresa May has also proved to be a far more able and effective Tory Home Secretary than David Davis would have ever been, so Cameron certainly made the right judgement call on this oneave dare deselect him?

David Davis' resignation in 2008 forced the Conservatives to maintain their opposition to 42 days detention when Cameron was wavering. He was ultimately instrumental in seeing that pernicious piece of authoritarianism defeated. The reason that arch-loyalists like yourself dislike Davis so much is that (1) unlike the leadership of the Conservative Party, he has some principles, and (2) he is prepared to put those principles above personal ambition.
    Strong on civil liberties, eurosceptic, firm on law and order, understands working class people, a self-made man. I'm pretty sure UKIP wouldn't have emerged if Davis had been in charge.
    You're probably right.

With Gordon Brown as Prime Minister at the moment, their focus would be on the fight for the soul of the Tory party.
    This is absurd. UKIP have shown how many Labour votes were ripe for the taking. A principled, working class Tory could clearly have won them over.
    Provide evidence, rather than mere assertion, and I may engage on the topic.
    Charles

Cameroons don't attempt to persuade, ar.

They are the officer class. They give orders.

And if that doesn't return a thumping Tory majority in Newark next Thursday I shall eat my entire collection of Maison du Chocolat Truffle Collection in a single sitting.

http://bit.ly/1kXhSGS
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Not sure where you get the idea that locals in Newark are concerned about fracking. For a start Newark has been the centre of an oilfield for longer than anywhere else in Britain. There are 3000 oil wells within 30 miles of Newark.

Is there really that many oil wells around Newark ? Does each one have its own 'nodding donkey' ?

I've seen a few in the area but would never have expected that many. I imagine that they tend to be hidden for environmental purposes.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles

It is sad that the Cameron-haters are prepared to twist history to try and make their case
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Having a load of Conservatives on my twitter feed, I do not think 600 would be an unreasonable number. There were a whole load of MP's there today who were not on the photo. As has been said, many would have been out canvassing and visited at different points of the day.

Helmer drives a British Racing Green Jaguar btw. The Jeremy Clarkson stereotype lives on.

• Options

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

AveryLP said:

RodCrosby said:

But Helmer has the mo'.

Avery

Have you considered joining UKIP so as to provide more ammunition to smear them.

You've just added a homophobia to your famous 'ragheads' comment.
    College gave me permission to use the term "gay" in its 1950s primary meaning.

He felt that it was the only way that Roger Helmer would understand the remark.

• Options
    @another_richard

Oh ye of little faith.
    All things are possible with the lord!

Spelthorne in Surrey is the mining capital of England and Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27538888
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

And if that doesn't return a thumping Tory majority in Newark next Thursday I shall eat my entire collection of Maison du Chocolat Truffle Collection in a single sitting.

Your problem Avery is that all those middle class leftists and metropolitan trendies you were giving orders to were in the Labour army not yours.

You Cameroons might have realised that if your focus groups had extended beyond Notting Hill dinner parties.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,646
    Smarmeron said:

@another_richard

Oh ye of little faith.
    All things are possible with the lord!

Spelthorne in Surrey is the mining capital of England and Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27538888

Middlesex originally :)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,347
    BobaFett said:

surbiton said:

Enough.

Calm down. I was just pointing out that our constitutional understand means that the monarch shouldn't be put in the embarrassing situation of having to meddle in political matters. I regard that as uncontroversial.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

Charles said:

So why did you support the government that regarded such an approach as sensible?
    You're still sounding rhetorical rather than seeking information. :-)

• Options

Not sure where you get the idea that locals in Newark are concerned about fracking. For a start Newark has been the centre of an oilfield for longer than anywhere else in Britain. There are 3000 oil wells within 30 miles of Newark.

Is there really that many oil wells around Newark ? Does each one have its own 'nodding donkey' ?

I've seen a few in the area but would never have expected that many. I imagine that they tend to be hidden for environmental purposes.

ar

I think you'll find all the nodding donkeys had been moved to Kelham Hall for the afternoon.

That is why they may have been scarce on the ground in Newark's environs.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

You're still sounding rhetorical rather than seeking information. :-)

Well, you were criticising Cameron for being a squeaky wheel rather than "sensibly cooperating". Just want to understand what you would give up and what you want in return
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Your problem Avery is that all those middle class leftists and metropolitan trendies you were giving orders to were in the Labour army not yours.

You Cameroons might have realised that if your focus groups had extended beyond Notting Hill dinner parties.
    The Duke of Wellington commanded a multi-national force and still won the Battle of Waterloo, ar.

He went to Eton too if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Having a load of Conservatives on my twitter feed, I do not think 600 would be an unreasonable number. There were a whole load of MP's there today who were not on the photo. As has been said, many would have been out canvassing and visited at different points of the day.

Helmer drives a British Racing Green Jaguar btw. The Jeremy Clarkson stereotype lives on.

Better than Alan Clark's brother who drove a gold Rolls Royce.

A colour which Alan referred to in his diaries as "jewish racing yellow".

[P.S, You can add this to my list of transgressions, ar]

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles

It is sad that the Cameron-haters are prepared to twist history to try and make their case
    All good men and women detest Cameron.

• Options
    @AveryLP
    Didn't Wellington have a little assistance from another general at that battle, without which he would have been in a right "Eton mess"?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP
    Didn't Wellington have a little assistance from another general at that battle, without which he would have been in a right "Eton mess"?

Major-General Osborne?

• Options
    @AveryLP

I was thinking more of the Tutonic one, rather than a third rate "smoke and mirrors" magician.
    But feel free to tell me how England won World War two.
    I need cheering up.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles

All good men and women detest Cameron.

Good men and women rarely detest anything.

Hate the sin, not the sinner.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Major-General Osborne?

Don't you mean Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, Comrade Chancellor?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles

I have never questioned - despite your implication - that the biggest falls in Labour support in 2010 was in wwc industrial areas.

What I do not believe is that a Conservative leader would have picked up meaningful extra support in these areas.

Cameron delivered nearly 100 extra seats for the Tories in 2010. It wasn't enough, but it was a damn good try. David Davis would gave been a disaster as leader of the party, which is why I voted against him.

I'm sure about it because of years of studying and talking about it.

Take at look at the constituency threads at UKPR for the last seven years if you want evidence.

Likewise there are PBers who will confirm that I was saying how aggravated the wwc were and how weak Labour's traditional support among them was before the recession even started.

Have you ever considered that the voters who decide general elections are rather more like David Davis than your own good self ?

Now we can have pointless hypothetical arguments about whether a different Conservative leader would have done better among the wwc. But one thing we do know is that Cameron did far WORSE than expected among those demographics he targeted and which were loudly predicted by his cheerleaders to be flocking to him.

So with you Cameroons proving to WRONG about the things you were supposed to know about (and which incidentally I was proved RIGHT about) I will assume that I would have been proved RIGHT about the things I do know about and that you would have been proved WRONG about the thing you don't know about ie that the Conservatives could have done significantly better among the wwc.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    The Sunday Times has the story of the decade, although it won't surprise anyone.

THE secret payments that helped Qatar to win the World Cup bid are revealed for the first time this weekend in a bombshell cache of millions of documents leaked to The Sunday Times.

The files expose how Qatar’s astonishing victory in the race to secure the right to host the 2022 tournament was sealed by a covert campaign by Mohamed bin Hammam, the country’s top football official.

The Qatari vice-president of Fifa, the governing body of world football, used secret slush funds to make dozens of payments totalling more than $5m to senior football officials to create a groundswell of support for Qatar’s plan to take world football by storm.

This weekend and over the coming weeks this newspaper will expose how Bin Hammam exploited his position at the heart of world football to help to secure from the key members of Fifa’s 24-man ruling committee the votes that Qatar needed to win.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/fifa/article1417325.ece
  • Options
  • Options

The Sunday Times has the story of the decade, although it won't surprise anyone.

THE secret payments that helped Qatar to win the World Cup bid are revealed for the first time this weekend in a bombshell cache of millions of documents leaked to The Sunday Times.

The files expose how Qatar’s astonishing victory in the race to secure the right to host the 2022 tournament was sealed by a covert campaign by Mohamed bin Hammam, the country’s top football official.

The Qatari vice-president of Fifa, the governing body of world football, used secret slush funds to make dozens of payments totalling more than $5m to senior football officials to create a groundswell of support for Qatar’s plan to take world football by storm.

This weekend and over the coming weeks this newspaper will expose how Bin Hammam exploited his position at the heart of world football to help to secure from the key members of Fifa’s 24-man ruling committee the votes that Qatar needed to win.

I presume there are rules that prohibt betting firms from offering odds on when evidence of bribery in such matters would come to light, otherwise a lot of people would, ironically, have had money on that.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    Charles said:

Charles

Cameron managed to throw away a 20 point lead only months before the election. He was and is bloody useless.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Major-General Osborne?

Is he Merkel's preferred candidate for EC President, Comrade?

• Options

Depressing but unsurprising.
  • Options
    Can we all agree David Davis and Dave are crap.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ToryJim said:
    They took so long to finish counting that I was able to input all the local election results from the rest of the country and ended up waiting for the final Tower Hamlets result in Bromley South.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Major-General Osborne?

No, he helped Wellington defeat Napoleon at Waterloo. Has the teaching of history really been abolished by the Coalition, comrade?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

The Duke of Wellington commanded a multi-national force and still won the Battle of Waterloo, ar.

He went to Eton too if I remember correctly.
    A good analogy Avery.

The wwc were the Germans and Dutch, the middle class leftists were the French.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    @TheScreamingEagles

Nothing wrong in a little oiling of the wheels to aid clarity of thought, ask "Glaxo" or one of the other "pharma" companies
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

I was thinking more of the Tutonic one, rather than a third rate "smoke and mirrors" magician.
    But feel free to tell me how England won World War two.
    I need cheering up.

Tory leader, Smarmy.

And how was he thanked?

Bloody ingrates!

• Options

Take at look at the constituency threads at UKPR for the last seven years if you want evidence.

Likewise there are PBers who will confirm that I was saying how aggravated the wwc were and how weak Labour's traditional support among them was before the recession even started.

Have you ever considered that the voters who decide general elections are rather more like David Davis than your own good self ?

Now we can have pointless hypothetical arguments about whether a different Conservative leader would have done better among the wwc. But one thing we do know is that Cameron did far WORSE than expected among those demographics he targeted and which were loudly predicted by his cheerleaders to be flocking to him.

So with you Cameroons proving to WRONG about the things you were supposed to know about (and which incidentally I was proved RIGHT about) I will assume that I would have been proved RIGHT about the things I do know about and that you would have been proved WRONG about the thing you don't know about ie that the Conservatives could have done significantly better among the wwc.

Defensive too ;-)

I am not a Cameroon - I don't like the man (partly based on my limited interaction, but also because my mother - who is a very good judge of character - has taken strongly against him). I voted for him because he was better than DD. In my vie - as I have said on many occasions - the Tories should be the party of the SME, the entrepreneur, the skilled worker and the aspirational.

For me they should focus on winning the midlands and the market towns in the north. I doubt that they will ever make that much headway in the industrial areas of the North of the urban metropolises (although they shouldn't abandon them, either).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I presume there are rules that prohibt betting firms from offering odds on when evidence of bribery in such matters would come to light, otherwise a lot of people would, ironically, have had money on that.
    Yeah, there are rules, bookies aren't allowed to bet on the outcomes of legal/police matters in the countries they operate in.

Can you imagine if you were on trial, and the jury would make more money on you being found guilty than being found innocent.
  • Options

I flew via Qatar when I travelled to India last month - unfortunately the new Hamad International Airport was still a few weeks away from completion so had to change planes at the original Doha Airport.
  • Options

Yep. They started drilling them in WW2 with the help of volunteer US oilmen who broke the embargo on exporting oil technology to Europe in order to help the British before the US entered the war. Welton near Lincoln is the second largest onshore oilfield in Britain after Wytch Farm and the oil fields spread down from Lincolnshire through Nottinghamshire and into Leicestershire. Many of the wells are now abandoned but there are still plenty of nodding donkeys hidden away in the corners of fields across the county.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP

Major-General Osborne?

No, he helped Wellington defeat Napoleon at Waterloo. Has the teaching of history really been abolished by the Coalition, comrade?
    I was too busy to study history, Comrade.

Just read the headlines.
  • Options
    Froch in control but you get the feeling Groves could do some damage if he gets a whiff of a chance.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

ar

I think you'll find all the nodding donkeys had been moved to Kelham Hall for the afternoon.

That is why they may have been scarce on the ground in Newark's environs.

Whilst the Tory sheep were wandering the fields looking lost (as usual)
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles

Cameron managed to throw away a 20 point lead only months before the election. He was and is bloody useless.
    That was never a solid lead; was partly sacrificed by the need to win a mandate for austerity, was partly lost to the Cleggasm, and was partly lost to a great Mandelson campaign and a piss-poor Tory one.

But he won nearly 100 seats - one of the best performances by an opposition in recent history.
  • Options

I flew via Qatar when I travelled to India last month - unfortunately the new Hamad International Airport was still a few weeks away from completion so had to change planes at the original Doha Airport.
    I've been to Qatar a few times in the last couple of years. Bloody hot
  • Options
    @AveryLP
    I feel sure the soldiers at Sula Bay would have shown him their gratitude.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

That was never a solid lead; was partly sacrificed by the need to win a mandate for austerity, was partly lost to the Cleggasm, and was partly lost to a great Mandelson campaign and a piss-poor Tory one.

But he won nearly 100 seats - one of the best performances by an opposition in recent history.
    Nope. It was lost long before the Cleggasm even began to appear and long before the campaigns started in earnest. It was all down to his ability to make himself look just as dishonest and shifty as the rest of the political class when he abandoned his 'Cast Iron' pledge. .
  • Options
    This decision shows that the UN is another institution in dire need of reform.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/01/uganda-anti-gay-minister-human-rights-kutesa
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles

A comment from myself at UKPR, it could be used to explain the 'surprise' UKIP vote in traditional Labour heartlands last week:

" Derbyshire NE, Rother Valley, Don Valley, Bassetlaw and Penistone/Stocksbridge have near identical social makeups and election results.

They have a number of characteristics that could bode well for the Conservatives in future:
    Extremely white, very few students, no extremes in wealth, socially conservative, distrust of London and Europe, good motorway communications leading to new commuter developments, formerly dominated by old-labour industry (coal) but no longer, discredited local Labour party.
    With the right sort of leader (David Davis would be better in these areas than David Cameron) and Rosindell style local candidates the Conservatives would have great potential.

This may sound far-fetched but how many people would have predicted only 10 years ago that the Republicans could win West Virginia (by 15% no less) whilst losing New Hampshire.

This could also apply to the four Labour constituencies in Cumbria.

July 11th, 2007 at 9:41 pm "

Notice the date, its from the period when the media were eulogising Brown and Cameron thought Southall a better target than Sedgefield.

Tell us Charles what were you expecting back in the summer of 2007 ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

Nope. It was lost long before the Cleggasm even began to appear and long before the campaigns started in earnest. It was all down to his ability to make himself look just as dishonest and shifty as the rest of the political class when he abandoned his 'Cast Iron' pledge. .
    HALATFF.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

"But Sweden’s Fredrik Reinfeldt, Hungary’s Viktor Orban and, according to several European sources, the Netherlands’ Mark Rutte and Finland’s Jyrki Katainen, have also expressed their opposition to Mr Juncker."

This is Cameron's entire coalition. If they can't stop Juncker despite everyone being on board, I don't believe they will ever achieve anything.

Depending how long they stall they probably can't count on Katainen, since he's be resigning this month. apparently to try to get Juncker's job...
    And Reinfeldt will be out in the autumn.
    Socrates said:

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 8m
    Great @DerSPIEGEL exclusive: Cameron tells Merkel he can no longer guarantee UK's EU membership if Juncker runs EC. http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/cameron-droht-merkel-wegen-juncker-lucke-will-zu-tories-a-972685.html

To which Merkel apparently says "Yeah, whatever." I said here a year or two ago that Continental interest in Cameron's posturing was exhausted. They'll give us anything that they don't care about, and that's it.

And you wish to stay in the EU on this basis?
    No, I want a British government that cooperates sensibly and doesn't wind up its natural allies for perceived domestic advantage. Sadly tim isn't here to note that it started with the Latvian homophobes...

So the UK Prime Minister trying to influence the choice for the President of the Commission is "winding up natural allies for perceived domestic advantage". As we have noted, the UK's natural allies - all those economically liberal Northern European nations that have some reservations about a USE - are on Cameron's side. Yet you oppose even this. What, pray, is the UK allowed to have a fight about, in your opinion? I've yet to hear you voice a single case in the European Union where you haven't believed we should just accept the Franco-German position.

As for Latvian homophobes, I prefer them to the terrorist supporters in the Party of European Socalists. How do you get sitting with such awful people past in the European Parliament past your conscience?
  • Options

Er, yes! Had to transfer between terminal and aircraft by bus so I did feel the heat - it was 35 degrees on May 16th, roughly the same as in Kerala during my stay there.
  • Options

Tell us Charles what were you expecting back in the summer of 2007 ?

I was busy lashing myself to the mast in anticipation of a storm.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP
    I feel sure the soldiers at Sula Bay would have shown him their gratitude.

Do you mean Suvla Bay at Gallipoli, Smarmy?

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzPP_DaTJY
  • Options
    When you look like me, I get worried by stories like this,

Uh-Oh, the party of British Jobs for British Workers is being told it must take tougher line on 'mass migration' from Europe, Miliband told

Ed Miliband is facing a backbench revolt over immigration policy as senior Labour MPs publicly warn of catastrophic consequences for the party unless he seeks constraints on the free movement of EU workers.

The unrestricted entry of EU citizens from eastern Europe since 2004 is hurting the "very communities that the Labour party was founded to represent", the MPs claim in an open letter published in the Observer.

Miliband is urged by the rebels, including two former ministers, to commit a Labour government to seeking to constrain the free movement of labour from European countries with much lower incomes than the UK, such as Romania and Bulgaria. Two million national insurance numbers have been issued to nationals from eastern European accession countries since 2004.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/31/labour-tough-line-mass-migration
  • Options
    Charles said:

So Labour's campaign in 2010 was 'great' was it ?

Brown's trip to Rochdale obviously being some masterstroke beyond the understanding of ordinary people.

The reality was Labour's campaign was crap and the Conservative campaign was crap.

The Cleggasm came about as a response to this crapness of the two main parties.

People wanted change and for a few brief days Clegg seemed to be the route to it. But after than the more people saw of Clegg the more the doubts grew, hence the LibDems falling away during the final week.
  • Options
    @AveryLP
    Already corrected it Limp Pole, but I award you a medal for pedantry above and beyond the call of duty.
    You can wear it as you sneer at those that won the "real ones"
  • Options

Er, yes! Had to transfer between terminal and aircraft by bus so I did feel the heat - it was 35 degrees on May 16th, roughly the same as in Kerala during my stay there.
    One time I was there it was in the 40s.
  • Options

Charles said:

So Labour's campaign in 2010 was 'great' was it ?

Brown's trip to Rochdale obviously being some masterstroke beyond the understanding of ordinary people.

The reality was Labour's campaign was crap and the Conservative campaign was crap.

The Cleggasm came about as a response to this crapness of the two main parties.

People wanted change and for a few brief days Clegg seemed to be the route to it. But after than the more people saw of Clegg the more the doubts grew, hence the LibDems falling away during the final week.
    I should have been more precise. Oh look. I was. Labour's campaign was crap. Mandleson's campaign was great - persuading enough people that the Tories would take away their benefits / tax credits etc to deny the Tories a number of key seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It was "snowing" in Regent's Park in London today - but the "snow" was actually seeds from the Willow tree!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Charles said:

Defensive too ;-)

I am not a Cameroon - I don't like the man (partly based on my limited interaction, but also because my mother - who is a very good judge of character - has taken strongly against him). I voted for him because he was better than DD. In my vie - as I have said on many occasions - the Tories should be the party of the SME, the entrepreneur, the skilled worker and the aspirational.

For me they should focus on winning the midlands and the market towns in the north. I doubt that they will ever make that much headway in the industrial areas of the North of the urban metropolises (although they shouldn't abandon them, either).
    Spot on there, Mr. Charles, spot on on all points. Going after the skilled and semi-skilled working class and tieing them in with the people with the serious money (and ignoring the Guardianista middle class who will never, ever vote Conservative) was of course Disraeli's one nation strategy. Too bad Cameron didn't read politics at Uni...

I shall also add your mum to my list of people who really should be listened to, though not necessarily agreed with, when it comes to politicians. Sunil's Mum is in the same category, even if she does tell him off for reading this site at the supper table.
  • Options
    Boooom!!!!!

What a punch to finish it by Froch.

Awesome champion.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@AveryLP
    Already corrected it Limp Pole, but I award you a medal for pedantry above and beyond the call of duty.
    You can wear it as you sneer at those that won the "real ones"

It did occur during his misspent Liberal youth, Smarmy.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

When you look like me, I get worried by stories like this,

Uh-Oh, the party of British Jobs for British Workers is being told it must take tougher line on 'mass migration' from Europe, Miliband told

Ed Miliband is facing a backbench revolt over immigration policy as senior Labour MPs publicly warn of catastrophic consequences for the party unless he seeks constraints on the free movement of EU workers.

The unrestricted entry of EU citizens from eastern Europe since 2004 is hurting the "very communities that the Labour party was founded to represent", the MPs claim in an open letter published in the Observer.

Miliband is urged by the rebels, including two former ministers, to commit a Labour government to seeking to constrain the free movement of labour from European countries with much lower incomes than the UK, such as Romania and Bulgaria. Two million national insurance numbers have been issued to nationals from eastern European accession countries since 2004.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/31/labour-tough-line-mass-migration

A very stupid move. Labour are NEVER going to out-UKIP UKIP on immigration, and "talking about it more" just means you're encouraging the consensus that immigrants are the cause of all the country's problems - and if people really think immigration is the biggest problem that needs to be dealt with, they are NEVER going to turn to Labour for answers.

I hope Ed slaps down this suggestion quickly, but knowing him, he and Douglas Alexander will dither for weeks before eventually coming out with some weak triangulated split-the-difference mess. What they need to do is try to convince people that the reason life in this country is so shit is not because of immigrants, but because of greedy bosses thinking they can rip off their employees and don't have a responsibility to provide decent wages and conditions for them, greedy landlords and big multinationals who think their mission in life is to rip ordinary people off, and the super-rich who feel they don't have to pay their taxes and can sponge off the society the rest of us are paying for. If they get people thinking that they are the real enemies, then people will turn to Labour for answers. But people naturally want someone to blame for the country and their lives being ruined, and as long as left-wing parties are too scared to point the finger of blame at those elites, it's always going to be shameless right-wing populists who blame immigrants and benefit-claimants who fill the void.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 22 secs
    Just 13% think Clegg is doing a good job. 78% do not. Minus 65% rating is worse than Gordon Brown's minus 62 in depths of the crisis

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 2 mins
    YouGov poll for Sunday Times reveals Nick Clegg now the least popular political elder in modern British history. Approval rating of minus 65

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803

Charles said:

Defensive too ;-)

Spot on there, Mr. Charles, spot on on all points. Going after the skilled and semi-skilled working class and tieing them in with the people with the serious money (and ignoring the Guardianista middle class who will never, ever vote Conservative) was of course Disraeli's one nation strategy. Too bad Cameron didn't read politics at Uni...

I shall also add your mum to my list of people who really should be listened to, though not necessarily agreed with, when it comes to politicians. Sunil's Mum is in the same category, even if she does tell him off for reading this site at the supper table.
    Yeeee Haaa

LLama man I'm just listening to Johnny Cash with my daughter,.

Sometimes you have to get your priorities right and politics sits below Johnny Cash.
  • Options
    Ouch - Sunday Times YouGov polling excerpt

Nick Clegg now the least popular British Leader of all time.

Just 13% think Clegg is doing a good job. 78% do not. Minus 65% rating is worse than Gordon Brown's minus 62 in depths of the crisis
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 22 secs

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 2 mins
    YouGov poll for Sunday Times reveals Nick Clegg now the least popular political elder in modern British history. Approval rating of minus 65

Isn't it almost exactly 4 years since he was the most popular party leader since Churchill? Politics is a funny beast sometimes...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

HALATFF.

HALATFP
  • Options

Charles said:

Defensive too ;-)

You need to be careful - she does like to stir.

One of her favourite stories was when she asked Richard Hilton to explain what his daughter actually did
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 43s

Clegg's -65 approval rating in Sunday Times poll is the worst ever recorded by YouGov. In 2010 he was +72 and most popular since Churchill
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    Well done the ref
  • Options
    edited May 2014

It was "snowing" in Regent's Park in London today - but the "snow" was actually seeds from the Poplar tree!

Comrade, surely you have been to Moscow in May and June?

One of Stalin's big mistakes.

Summed up in this BBC correspondent's report from Moscow in 1998:

Nobody dared tell him [Josef] that poplars have sex lives - that every female needs a male. Plant too many females and the males can't fertilise them. Which is exactly what happened. Moscow has an enormous surfeit of sexually frustrated female poplars, which every June release a thick stream of unfertilised seeds into the atmosphere - in a word, pukh.

Full article here: http://bbc.in/1kcIyVa

Perhaps Russian sexual frustration has migrated to Regent's Park?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Any VI poll tonight ?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lib Dem activists tell S.Times they have begun no confidence proceedings in 190 constituency parties. only 75 needed to trigger election
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I had to do that in Dubai, although luckily it was 7 in the morning and not too hot.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 1 min
    Lib Den activists tell S.Times they have begun no confidence proceedings in 190 constituency parties. only 75 needed to trigger election

• Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 27s

Ukip have written to Ofcom demanding access for Farage to debates and equal air time as major party in general election. See Sunday Times
  • Options

Lib Dem activists tell S.Times they have begun no confidence proceedings in 190 constituency parties. only 75 needed to trigger election

We live in interesting times.

• Options
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 1 min
    Ukip have written to Ofcom demanding access for Farage to debates and equal air time as major party in general election. See Sunday Times

This discussion has been closed.