Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EP2014 election is so tight that what could be decisive

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EP2014 election is so tight that what could be decisive is how many Ukip supporters mistakenly vote for “An Independence from Europe”

With YouGov’s final EP2014 poll showing Ukip with a lead of just 1% it is possible that what stops Farage’s party from winning on votes will be the spoiler party “An Independence from Europe – UK Independence Now”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited May 2014
    Outrageous!

Where's the traditional PB picture of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall-wotsit on a bike outside a polling station!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Polls Are open
  • Options
    If one considers the demographic's involved, I reckon 2% is a minimum cock-up amount.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    marke09 said:

ELECTOR ‏@britainelects 6m

YouGov's final poll for Scotland #EP2014: LAB - 28% SNP - 26% CON - 15% UKIP - 13% GRN - 11% LDEM - 6% (NOTE: small sample of 533)

Shadsy must have taken some big SLAB bets overnight, cos Ladbrokes have just lengthened their SNP Most Votes price from 1/5 to 1/3.

Note: SLAB-backers can still get a very nice 5/1 at William Hill. Best SNP price is now Ladbrokes 1/3. BetVictor have now closed their Scottish Euro markets.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Ukip are too short to bet on IMO.

How many PBers have taken longer options on Lab or Con today?

• Options
    Shadsy's blog:
    "UPDATE: This afternoon, we took the biggest bet we have fielded yet on YES in the Scottish Referendum, £5,000 at 3/1. That’s now 11/4 as a result. The bet was taken in one of our shops in Scotland. This will be a much bigger betting event than the Euros."
    http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/local-and-european-elections-betting-update/
  • Options
    Yikes, that was fast! Hills have just taken down their Scottish Euro prices, so no 5/1 available for SLAB-backers I'm afraid. BetVictor have also closed their Scottish Euro markets, which just leaves Shadsy in the game:

Ladbrokes - 2014 UK Euro Parliamentary Elections - Scotland

Conservatives to win a seat 1/4
    Conservatives to win 0 seats 3/1

UKIP to win a seat 11/8
    UKIP to win 0 seats 8/15

Lib Dems to win a seat 5/1
    Lib Dems to win 0 seats 1/10

SNP to win more votes than Labour 1/3
    Labour to win more votes than SNP 2/1
  • Options
    Is this GREEN price value?

Ladbrokes - GB Vote Share Match Bet

Lib Dems 4/6
    Greens 11/10
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Brilliant sunshine in Our Nation's Capital this morning.

Just about to put on the suit and tie for work then off to vote in the warm spring breeze.
  • Options
    Someone took all the Labour on Betfair down to 1.8 !!!!!!!
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Is any polling company carrying out an exit poll on the Euros today?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Mrs JackW and I have decided to vote for the Coalition in the Euros.

With a nod to my historic Jacobite and anti-Whig tendencies she will cast her ballot for the LibDems leaving me free to vote for that nice Mr Cameron's jolly crew of Euro pragmatists.

Meanwhile .... Apparently a minor infestation of Ukippers on West Common has had the good burghers of Harpenden in a tizzy. It appears a new resident of the fruitcake tendency placed a "I'm Voting For Ukip" poster in a front window.

Little matter the offending article could barely be seen some distance down the drive from the road but a committee of the concerned was soon on the case. It appears the recalcitrant householder was advised that the prospect of steel bands, shooting gay targets and bongo bongo land themed bbq's was not to be encouraged and that the vulgar practice of displaying political posters on your estate would likely result in membership of the Ladies Circle being rescinded.

The offending article now being removed to the recycling box, normality has returned to Harpenden.
  • Options
    Re lib Dem Euro vote share vote.Over the last five euro elections the LIb Dems have consistently polled less than their national vote share (using ICM April or May).The average deficit is 5.4%.
    Given the latest ICM has the Lib Dems on 13% their likely vote share would be 7.6%.Thus anything above this is an improvement!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    JackW said:

With a nod to my historic Jacobite and anti-Whig tendencies she will cast her ballot for the LibDems leaving me free to vote for that nice Mr Cameron's jolly crew of Euro pragmatists.

Meanwhile .... Apparently a minor infestation of Ukippers on West Common has had the good burghers of Harpenden in a tizzy. It appears a new resident of the fruitcake tendency placed a "I'm Voting For Ukip" poster in a front window.

Little matter the offending article could barely be seen some distance down the drive from the road but a committee of the concerned was soon on the case. It appears the recalcitrant householder was advised that the prospect of steel bands, shooting gay targets and bongo bongo land themed bbq's was not to be encouraged and that the vulgar practice of displaying political posters on your estate would likely result in membership of the Ladies Circle being rescinded.

The offending article now being removed to the recycling box, normality has returned to Harpenden.

No fascist-Jacobite pressure then.
  • Options
    Time to go off and vote. Green, UKIP or Tory. Still not 100% sure ^_~
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited May 2014
    Would be hilarious if Ukip failed to win because of one of their grumpy former MEPs. There is also Nikki Sinclaire here in the West Midlands. She will probably get less than 10k votes but it might be close between the main three here.
  • Options
    The pronunciation of the name Farage .In the UK it is pronounced as" Fa -rarge" (as in large).A rather grand sounding name!
    In Europe they pronounce the name Fa-rage(as in forage)
    If opponents of Mr Farage want to cut him down to size I suggest they use the European version.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

No fascist-Jacobite pressure then.
    Far far worse than that.

The threat of expulsion from the West Common Gentlewoman's Guild is complete social death. Offenders might just as well move to a Luton garret and slit their wrists.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    rogerh said:

The pronunciation of the name Farage .In the UK it is pronounced as" Fa -rarge" (as in large).A rather grand sounding name!
    In Europe they pronounce the name Fa-rage(as in forage)
    If opponents of Mr Farage want to cut him down to size I suggest they use the European version.

Sounds very Tory and just about their level of debate.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    YouGov EURO:

The 2010 splits are interesting - as are the regional splits (usual caveats);But will be interesting to see how close these are to actual.

2010:
    Cons: Cons49; LAB:3; LD:2; UKIP:39; Green:3
    LAB: Cons:4; LAB:65; LD:2; UKIP:15; Green:8
    LDem: Cons:8: LAB:18; LD:31; UKIP:18; Green:19

Regions:
    London: Cons: 23; LAB: 27; LD:13; UKIP:20; Green: 12
    R of South: Cons: 26; LAB:19; LD:10; UKIP:33; Green:9
    Mids/Wales: Cons:22; LAB:26; LD:6; UKIP:30; Green:9; PC:3
    NORTH: Cons: 18; LAB:33; LD:7; UKIP:27; Green:10
    Scotland: Cons: 15; LAB:28; LD:6; UKIP:13; Green:11; SNP:26
  • Options
    JackW said:

Quite right - it might distract the cricketers as well with such a garish colour.

Be warned that I parked at the station there last week and was impressed with the new posh painted parking bays, there hoever seems to be 10% less parking spaces as a result, after 10 mins faffing and my train due, thinking outside the box I parked outside one and promptly received a parking ticket for £50 on my return.

Time was you could park anywhere sensible there as it was always full even before the new boxes, not any more it seems - as a v occasional Harpenden commuter that was an expensive lesson learned.... I trust my little expense will contribute to the general well-being of the area!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    The excitement this morning is barely palpable.

I am slightly tempted by the 1/4 for the tories in Scotland which looks pretty nailed on to me. Whether I can be bothered to find a Ladbrokes shop (they still think my computer is in the US) is another test for the ennui of the day.
  • Options
    Voted Conservative. Only person in the station, no names crossed through the register.
  • Options

JackW said:

Quite right - it might distract the cricketers as well with such a garish colour.

Be warned that I parked at the station there last week and was impressed with the new posh painted parking bays, there hoever seems to be 10% less parking spaces as a result, after 10 mins faffing and my train due, thinking outside the box I parked outside one and promptly received a parking ticket for £50 on my return.

Time was you could park anywhere sensible there as it was always full even before the new boxes, not any more it seems - as a v occasional Harpenden commuter that was an expensive lesson learned.... I trust my little expense will contribute to the general well-being of the area!
    Your £50 donation is most welcome.

However I have to advise you that the Harpenden (Anti) Parking Consortium .... aka the Council .... have also extended control zones to close to the new Tesco Metro store on the Luton Road !!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Voted Conservative. Only person in the station, no names crossed through the register.

Given your uncertainty that may be a major swing in your area. I met someone intending to vote Lib Dem in Scotland yesterday. They still exist.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Good luck to any amongst our number who are candidates today. You are defenders of democracy, however many votes you get.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    edited May 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Undecideds breaking massively for Conservatives. You heard it here first!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    This is only a problem for the stupid people who are too stupid to pay attention, too stupid to read a ballot paper, and arrogant enough to think that the entire democratic process should be held to ransom for their benefit.

And how arrogant it is that a silly article is spoiled at the end by the final paragraph which claims that "Unlike the Literal Democrat AIFE is a legitimate party". By what criteria of arrogant assumption does anybody dare to presume that the Literal Democrat candidate in 1994 was not "legitimate"? He was duly nominated to stand as a candidate in the usual way, according to the law as it was at the time, just as all other candidates were. He then campaigned in whatever way he considered fit and proper, within the law, as other candidates did.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Voted Conservative on the way to work. Locals and EU. I hope the Cons hold on to Hammersmith and Fulham, they have done a very good job here.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

This is only a problem for the stupid people who are too stupid to pay attention, too stupid to read a ballot paper, and arrogant enough to think that the entire democratic process should be held to ransom for their benefit.

Most of the great British public in other words...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Is this GREEN price value?

Ladbrokes - GB Vote Share Match Bet

Lib Dems 4/6
    Greens 11/10

Yes it is IMO.

Just the odd spot of rain here in Nottingham at the moment, overcast but not dark.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Of course there will be some legitimate support for the Nattrass splitters too. UKIP has a long and glorious history of self inflicted wounds due to internal feuds.

It does give some insight into how Farage and his allies deal with internal debate.
  • Options
    LAB shortening in the Euro Most Votes market: now 9/4 (various) after Coral cut their price.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    edited May 2014
    rogerh said:

Re lib Dem Euro vote share vote.Over the last five euro elections the LIb Dems have consistently polled less than their national vote share (using ICM April or May).The average deficit is 5.4%.
    Given the latest ICM has the Lib Dems on 13% their likely vote share would be 7.6%.Thus anything above this is an improvement!

The LibDems also tend to underperform their Euro poll forecasts - by about 2% in 2009, for example. My wife, who voted LibDem in 2010, is voting Green today. (Despite me pointing out that the Green Party is the one that most opposes the way of life we live today.) As an aside, this will be the first time she's voted in a Euro election; and the reason she's voting is that she's worried that her mother (who has a Portuguese passport and lives in Highgate) will be deported if Britain leaves the EU.

Anyhow, I'm off to Brussels this morning, and have failed to vote...
  • Options

Good luck to any amongst our number who are candidates today. You are defenders of democracy, however many votes you get.

Unless you're Labour, obviously... or UKIP

• Options
    In about an hour from now I shall put on my top hat and spats, and wander in a circuitous path, past the local duck-pond, in the the direction of my designated polling station. Once arrived there, I will endeavour to unroll a 2 foot long voting form - which should be renamed the voting scroll - and place my mark. After that strenuous work, I shall tip my top hat and bid adieu to all those overeager party workers in and around the building and be on my way home.

Having done all the above I shall be tearing my brillo out waiting for the results; and what a bloody long wait that will be.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited May 2014

Pulpstar said:

I do hope so having bet on the Tories from 55/1 downwards. If it happens it will be my biggest political betting win ever for not that much money being put at risk. This is the Smithson approach to political betting. Long shots that come in.

• Options
    Only 78,754 pounds have been matched in Betfair's Euro Most Votes market, which is fairly pathetic for a supposedly major election.

Betfair's prices as the polling stations open:

Most Votes
    UKIP 1.4
    Lab 3
    Con 25
    Grn 26
    LD 1000

Most Seats (87,638 pounds Matched)
    UKIP 1.53
    Lab 2.68
    Grn 3
    LD 4
    Con 23
  • Options
    People eligible to vote in Devon constituency in 1994: c.500,000
    People who did vote: 229,000
    People who voted Literal Democrat: 10,000
    People who said afterwards that they had been confused and had voted for the wrong party: 4,000

i.e. less than 1%

Unlike the article, I am not counting 10,000 out of 229,000 as 5%, nor am I assuming that all 10,000 were confused
  • Options
    Best prices - Newark by-election

Con 2/5 (Hills)
    UKIP 4/1 (various)
    Lab 8/1 (Betfair)
    Grn 200/1
    Baggaley 200/1
    Hayes 200/1
    LD 250/1
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

People eligible to vote in Devon constituency in 1994: c.500,000
    People who did vote: 229,000
    People who voted Literal Democrat: 10,000
    People who said afterwards that they had been confused and had voted for the wrong party: 4,000

i.e. less than 1%

Unlike the article, I am not counting 10,000 out of 229,000 as 5%, nor am I assuming that all 10,000 were confused

Shhh... you're spoiling a good story.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,011
    edited May 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

Haven't voted yet. It's rained quite a lot, and was still going when I took a very reluctant hound out. Early though, so if it clears up one would expect turnout to be more or less unaffected.

Edited extra bit: also worth mentioning it's Monaco first practice in just under half an hour.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I do hope so having bet on the Tories from 55/1 downwards. If it happens it will be my biggest political betting win ever for not that much money being put at risk. This is the Smithson approach to political betting. Long shots that come in.

It come to something when you can't even rely on your son to help win your bet - Buggering off to Brussels and not helping the old man.

Society crumbling around us I tell you.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    rogerh said:

I don't know about exit polls, but Populus online will be running a poll this evening from the close of polls which they want rapid responses to, for almost immediate reporting.
  • Options
    Shadsy's line bets as polling stations open:

Ladbrokes - Euros - GB Vote Share - line bets (above/below both 5/6)

UKIP 28%
    Lab 26%
    Con 23%
    LD 8%
    Grn 7%
    An Independence From Europe 1.5%
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    JohnL,

Interesting use of numbers. I'd use 4,000 out of 229,000.

A grey Merseyside day here but I'll drudge through the rain and attempt to decipher the Rosetta ballot paper. For the first time in 40 odd years, I'll not be voting Labour or LD. I've finally come of age?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Because I am a super nerd, I decided to collate the composition of each council up for election today, broken down on the ward level. The spreadsheet is almost complete, with a few extra councils to fill in. For councils with boundary changes, I just made my best guess at the notional results (pending info from BBC if it is ever available). So the numbers may be off by a dozen or so seats by the end. Three results have already been declared as they were uncontested, so that only makes 4000 to go!

This should give a better summary than the BBC results (although slower), as it will specifically say how many seats each party gained of the other parties (see the change matrix), so we know exactly where the kipper support is coming from! ;-)

I'm not guaranteeing this will be the fastest way to see results, but I will try to keep it reasonably up to date for you all. Unfortunately, I won't be able to update this beyond 3pm Friday until about 8/9pm Friday (depending on wifi at the airport).

I've probably bitten off more than I can chew with this, but I thought I'd give it a shot, and given I spent the time getting all the info together, I may as well make it public:

http://goo.gl/4AJwpD

Oh and if I get super busy tomorrow with other commitments, I may just have to stop updating entirely! You have been warned.
  • Options
    Mike, MarqueeMark,

Are we saying that the polls are a bit off and Dave will outpoll Microband today? Wow.

If the result is UKIP/Con/Lab/Green/LD in that order it would be very very funny!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "... in Brussels, even mid-ranking administrators can take home more cash than the Prime Minister. The leaked papers show that EU officials in the “AD 11” grade, a middle management group, have gross earnings of £112,090, including expatriation and household allowances. But because they pay just 13.4 per cent in tax, they take home £83,357 in net pay."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10847979/10000-European-Union-officials-better-paid-than-David-Cameron.html
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MikeK said:

In about an hour from now I shall put on my top hat and spats, and wander in a circuitous path, past the local duck-pond, in the the direction of my designated polling station. Once arrived there, I will endeavour to unroll a 2 foot long voting form - which should be renamed the voting scroll - and place my mark. After that strenuous work, I shall tip my top hat and bid adieu to all those overeager party workers in and around the building and be on my way home.

Having done all the above I shall be tearing my brillo out waiting for the results; and what a bloody long wait that will be.

Are you a candidate in the local elections this year?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,070

rogerh said:

I don't know about exit polls, but Populus online will be running a poll this evening from the close of polls which they want rapid responses to, for almost immediate reporting.
    It’s illegal to publish an exit poll for the Euros (or anything else) before the polls close. So nothing can be published until Sunday evening when voting closes in the last of our partner countries.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    still toeing the line of tweeting in a personal capacity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2635680/Top-BBC-editor-brands-Ukip-racist-sexist-Twitter-News-channel-boss-accused-bias-hours-election.html

Given here experience and roles in editing politics stories, she was sailing close to the wind with that tweet. Perhaps she should cover parish council elections in future.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    We should be able to vote at ATMs.

Would give the Romanians a chance.
  • Options

It’s illegal to publish an exit poll for the Euros (or anything else) before the polls close. So nothing can be published until Sunday evening when voting closes in the last of our partner countries.

It's only unlawful to publish an exit poll, which means:
    (a) any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted, or
    (b) any forecast as to the result of the election which is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information so given. [SI 2004/293, reg 30(1)]
    In theory, suitably phrased, it might be possible to get round this. One question could be: "How did you intend to vote on Wednesday evening?"
  • Options

"... in Brussels, even mid-ranking administrators can take home more cash than the Prime Minister. The leaked papers show that EU officials in the “AD 11” grade, a middle management group, have gross earnings of £112,090, including expatriation and household allowances. But because they pay just 13.4 per cent in tax, they take home £83,357 in net pay."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10847979/10000-European-Union-officials-better-paid-than-David-Cameron.html

IIRC the budget for 'Brussels' in total is about the same as Birmingham Council. I.e., while Eurocrats are very well paid, there are surprisingly few of them.
  • Options

rogerh said:

Correct but all part of the delusions of the project. As if anyone, even Nick Clegg, would really give a monkeys about how they were voting in Spain, Italy, France...

It wouldn't change a single vote in this country, even if our press could be bothered to report it.

• Options

rogerh said:

Although the Dutch may ignore this and publish their own exit polls anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

In case anyone is thinking of becoming a Eurocrat, the full pay details are here: http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/salary-and-allowances

As an aside, there is only one level of pay above that of AD11, and 11 below, so I think "mid-ranking" might be a little bit of a stretch.
  • Options
    F1: the media are idiots sometimes. From the BBC livefeed:
    "Monaco, it's always a highlight for me. Yes, it doesn't provide much racing, ..."

Really? A highlight of the racing calendar is a circuit even a cheerleader confesses doesn't provide much racing?
  • Options

This appears to chuck in the extra allowances for inconvenience for them while ignoring the allowances that Dave gets. In any case, his net pay as PM and MP even without allowances is over £83K.

That said, I wouldn't quibble if the PM got £300K.

Meanwhile, Nottingham has turned sunny!

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Test
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Voted Conservative on the way to work. Locals and EU. I hope the Cons hold on to Hammersmith and Fulham, they have done a very good job here.

Yes, voted for them for the same reason. And I'm a student! (who doesn't pay council tax!)
    Two blokes wearing blue rosettes are currently standing on Fulham Palace Road, opposite the Tube Station, giving out flyers. They're going for it, and I think the Tories may just cling on.
  • Options
    Mr. D, doubtful I'll be on here late enough to watch any results come in, but that sounds good.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    I am in Plymouth at the moment, but should be back home to London by 7.30 this evening in time to vote. Having been persuaded by Antifrank's post last night to register my opposition to the UKIP bandwagon - and with apologies to those of you who stand to make a killing on 0 LD MEPs - I am going to vote Labour in the locals and for the yellow peril in the Euros.
  • Options
    Someone on my f-book f-list: The way to vote to limit UKIP is lib dem, those two will be neck and neck

AN Other: Sadly I don't have a green party option where I'm registered to vote, so I will be voting lib dem instead

I've given them both a pointer !
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,070
    edited May 2014
    DavidL said:

rogerh said:

Correct but all part of the delusions of the project. As if anyone, even Nick Clegg, would really give a monkeys about how they were voting in Spain, Italy, France...

It wouldn't change a single vote in this country, even if our press could be bothered to report it.

Well as we vote first, of course it wouldn’t. Might give cause for thought in some voters in our partners, though!

And as, some will recall, in 1905, when the UK voted over several days and the Liberals were sweeping the country, posters were put up in late-voting areas “the Liberal Tide is Flowing”.
    On the lines of "LibDems Winning here!
    No idea if it worked or not!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Mr. D, doubtful I'll be on here late enough to watch any results come in, but that sounds good.

Luckily for you (and my typing fingers) only a minority of councils are counting tonight!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    Mr. Octopus, welcome to pb.com.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

rogerh said:

Interesting - I wouldn't have thought they'd have bothered to do one for the local elections, but I guess I'll find out this evening.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,018
    edited May 2014
    dr_spyn said:
    I suppose that's right and proper, but I actually found her tweet quite amusing (but then I too am a metropolitan lefty).
  • Options

MikeK said:

Are you a candidate in the local elections this year?
    No Dave. I was asked to stand as a local candidate over 6 months ago but declined. If I was 20 years younger I would have accepted.
  • Options
    Mr. D, really?

That's a bit rubbish. I thought most would be. Slackers.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

Of course there will be some legitimate support for the Nattrass splitters too. UKIP has a long and glorious history of self inflicted wounds due to internal feuds.

It does give some insight into how Farage and his allies deal with internal debate.

As I have said before I do find it kind of ironic that the AIFE is being touted by some as a more legitimate anti_EU vote than UKIP and yet many of its candidates were thrown out of UKIP for just the sort of behaviour that UKIP is criticised for.

If you want to vote for BNP light then certainly AIFE is the where you should place your mark.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

It's only unlawful to publish an exit poll, which means:
    (a) any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information given by voters after they have voted, or
    (b) any forecast as to the result of the election which is (or might reasonably be taken to be) based on information so given. [SI 2004/293, reg 30(1)]
    In theory, suitably phrased, it might be possible to get round this. One question could be: "How did you intend to vote on Wednesday evening?"

I'm not sure it would. I had thought the standard polling wording might do it (i.e. "if there was an election tomorrow") but either way could be interpreted by a court as being designed to identify how voters voted, irrespective of whether they were asked that or not.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Thanks. As a first time candidate it was slightly odd putting a cross next to my own name on the ballot paper! Good luck to all the other PBers going through the same thing today. :-)
  • Options
    That BNP slogan in the picture is a bit weird - "Fighting unsustainable housing because we care". Caring is probably not the first word that would spring to mind when I think of the BNP!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    dr_spyn said:
    all they missed out was to call her "shapely".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Someone on my f-book f-list: The way to vote to limit UKIP is lib dem, those two will be neck and neck

AN Other: Sadly I don't have a green party option where I'm registered to vote, so I will be voting lib dem instead

Special. Naturally if either of them are in the North-West they could always Vote Pirate
  • Options
    Minor point: in a civil war it's not helpful to use a term like 'Syrian forces', because that applies to both sides...

Sounds like the Assad side is the one referred to:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27514897

Syria's been out of the news for a while, but what has been written about does all seem to be going Assad's way. Of course, even if he 'wins', he'll have a country that looks similar to old footage of Germany at the end of the war.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Pulpstar said:

Special. Naturally if either of them are in the North-West they could always Vote Pirate
    AN Other is South East,
  • Options

Minor point: in a civil war it's not helpful to use a term like 'Syrian forces', because that applies to both sides...

Sounds like the Assad side is the one referred to:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27514897

Syria's been out of the news for a while, but what has been written about does all seem to be going Assad's way. Of course, even if he 'wins', he'll have a country that looks similar to old footage of Germany at the end of the war.

Not having followed it too closely whose side was that bloke on who got done for terrorism? Or wouldn't it have mattered? LIAMT?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Lennon said:

Thanks. As a first time candidate it was slightly odd putting a cross next to my own name on the ballot paper! Good luck to all the other PBers going through the same thing today. :-)
    You do know you're not allowed to vote for yourself?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,604
    Well on the flip side, England's chances of getting out of the group just went through the roof.

On the downside, by bets on Uruguay winning the world cup, and him being golden boot winner and scoring more than England bets just became losers.

Luis Suárez's World Cup for Uruguay in doubt after knee injury

Liverpool striker damaged meniscus in training

Surgery could rule him out for up to six weeks

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/luis-suarez-world-cup-uruguay-injury
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Good luck (and to everyone else standing)
  • Options

Many thanks. I've been lurking PB for some years - I read it every day. Only started commenting now to distract from writing my MSci thesis.
  • Options
    Andrew Hawkins @Andrew_ComRes · 57m

26% of voters more inclined, 16% less inclined to vote Tory today because of Cam's commitment to hold EU referendum
  • Options

Many thanks. I've been lurking PB for some years - I read it every day. Only started commenting now to distract from writing my MSci thesis.
    Pizza delivery leaflets get extremely interesting immediately before going on a run in the wet/cold.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    I'll vote in a few minutes. The polling station is the Luton Masonic Centre.

Sadly, my mother-in-law died last night, so I won't be paying as much attention to the results as usual.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sadly, my mother-in-law died last night, so I won't be paying as much attention to the results as usual.

My condolences.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Lennon said:

I know someone who didn't vote for themselves (because it was unlucky) and then lost by 1 vote...
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    First two hours telling in Wandsworth. 50 voters, slightly down on last locals in 2010, including one Romanian. I didn't ask how she voted.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Oh my.

No offence to Eck's half hour - but if anyone wants to pass/fail the cricket test we've got the Indian league on 11am - 8pm ITV4
  • Options
    If the Lib Dem performance is truly disastrous( eg fifth place in the Euros,no MEP,s losses of 350+council seats and losses of more councils eg Kingston.Sutton?,Portsmouth. Cambridge,Three Rivers Portsmouth) a leadership challenge is possible.
    However what would be the situation if anew leader were elected.?Would Nick Clegg have to step down as Deputy PM?.Who would decide if a new leader of the Lib dems could be appointed as Deputy PM?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sorry to hear that Sean - you and your family have my condolences.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

I'm sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    My condolences, Mr. F.

Mr. Octopus, best of luck with your thesis.
  • Options

Well on the flip side, England's chances of getting out of the group just went through the roof.

On the downside, by bets on Uruguay winning the world cup, and him being golden boot winner and scoring more than England bets just became losers.

Luis Suárez's World Cup for Uruguay in doubt after knee injury

Liverpool striker damaged meniscus in training

Surgery could rule him out for up to six weeks

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/luis-suarez-world-cup-uruguay-injury

I've got a fiver each way on him for Golden boot. I assume its a likely loser now rather than void ?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rogerh said:

You underestimate Guardian readers - had an enquiry just yesterday from a voter wavering between Labour and Green and asking about the overall balance and outlook in the EP.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Lennon said:

I know someone who didn't vote for themselves (because it was unlucky) and then lost by 1 vote...
    It wasn't Michael Portillo was it?
This discussion has been closed.