Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI finds support for staying in the EU at its highe

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,987

Mr. Observer, worth pointing out there's a rather large overlap between the EU and immigration concerns.

True enough. I was more taken with the idea that on average UKIP supporters believe that 38% of the UK population is made up of immigrants.

I am surpised that you are surprised

A survey of all kinds of voters showed that people thought 31% of the UK population were immigrants. Isnt it logical to expect UKIP supporters to have a higher estimate than average?

"Immigration and ethnicity: the public think that 31% of the population are immigrants, when the official figures are 13%[viii]. Even estimates that attempt to account for illegal immigration suggest a figure closer to 15%. There are similar misperceptions on ethnicity: the average estimate is that Black and Asian people make up 30% of the population, when it is actually 11% (or 14% if we include mixed and other non-white ethnic groups)[ix]."

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Hah - I've just thought of the headline for the PB thread when we're waiting for the Euro results next Sunday

"Europe - The Final Countdown for the results"
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Jim, whatever are you suggesting?

The Morris Dancer Party is renowned for its saintly attitudes.

Mr. Observer, that is weird. It's a special kind of independence that results in only partial control of fiscal policy, and less control over monetary policy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Smarmeron said:

@isam
    "Its Esther McVey"

Moronic Ignorant Lying Fecker?

I called it last night and I'm going to be sticking by it for my GE prediction - she will underperform relative to the national swing in her constituency.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

BobaFett said:

Populus @PopulusPolls · 18s

New Populus VI: Lab 36 (=); Cons 32 (-3); LD 10 (+2); UKIP 13 (=); Oth 9 (+1) Tables http://popu.lu/s_vi140516

Good luck with the speech @TSE. Looks a great day for a wedding. And remember, Ukip don't like it up em...
    I'm just gutted I'm not allowed to put in any pop music references.
    You should be gutted for Karen Gillan's career - have you seen the trailer for 'Selfie'?!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles - Sunday?

But the vote's on Thursday...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Hah - I've just thought of the headline for the PB thread when we're waiting for the Euro results next Sunday

"Europe - The Final Countdown for the results"

One day the BBC will see sense and use that as the title music for the Euro election results programme.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,451

Mr. Eagles - Sunday?

But the vote's on Thursday...

Mr Dancer we aren't allowed to count our votes until the rest of Europe has finished casting theirs.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

A research financed by the economic development ministry on how teachers in Southern Italy used the new technologies bought with EU funds!
    On Friday I've to visit a secondary school in Foggia and interview the head-teacher and some of her colleagues...thankfully it's not a primary school full of female teachers talking over each other

JackW said:

I've work commitments on Friday...so I can't follow the election night as I hoped. Damn. Same thing for Friday count. I will be free from mid afternoon but the damn train doesn't have wifi connection. So I will only have the phone to check updates.
    Life is unfair!

May I ask if your work is academic or some squalid, tasteless and rather vulgar attempt at remedying the Italian economy ?

Thanks Andrea. Always good to hear from you.

Is this a full time appointment and part of a career in the civil service ?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

Mr. Flashman (deceased), Mr. Dave, I think it's possible to get over-excited by meaningless numbers.

I was amused to see on Sky News a comparison of Twitter followers and Youtube subscribers for Yes and No (Yes ahead on both by a clear margin). However, the subscribers were less than 5,000 for both, which is pretty low and meaningless.

Mr. W, Parliament sovereign? It's entrusted with power by the choice of the electorate, but has given away much of that power to a foreign body without recourse to the people. We were never asked about political union, and it's unjust for the political class to move power from the gift of the electorate to the whim of foreign bureaucrats without asking the electorate.

Parliament is sovereign so long as parliament retains the right to leave the association with the EU.
  • Options
    FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted the governing body's decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake.

http://news.sky.com/story/1262816/blatter-admits-error-over-qatar-world-cup
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

House of Lords committee has some interesting views on a potential Yes vote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27424993

Independence could be delayed if it suits the non-Scottish UK (doubt this'll happen), Scotland's MPs should retain seats until formal independence occurs but they should not be able to participate in negotiations.

That seems a bit weird to me.

Suppose Miliband gets a majority of 20, contingent on Scottish seats (entirely possible). Is he PM? Does that change a few years after the General Election?

I would imagine that Mr. Ed forms a government but as the Scottish MP's cannot vote, would lose the first confidence vote, the one that ratifies his government. and round we go
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

Off topic, I'm still reeling from last night's revelation that Richard Nabavi knows what a MILF is.

At least he didn't google it in front of giggling teenage niece & nephew!

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    isam said:

Mr. Observer, worth pointing out there's a rather large overlap between the EU and immigration concerns.

True enough. I was more taken with the idea that on average UKIP supporters believe that 38% of the UK population is made up of immigrants.

A survey of all kinds of voters showed that people thought 31% of the UK population were immigrants. Isnt it logical to expect UKIP supporters to have a higher estimate than average?

"Immigration and ethnicity: the public think that 31% of the population are immigrants, when the official figures are 13%[viii]. Even estimates that attempt to account for illegal immigration suggest a figure closer to 15%. There are similar misperceptions on ethnicity: the average estimate is that Black and Asian people make up 30% of the population, when it is actually 11% (or 14% if we include mixed and other non-white ethnic groups)[ix]."

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3188/Perceptions-are-not-reality-the-top-10-we-get-wrong.aspx

Yes, it would be good to hear Mr Farage seek to educate his party's supporters about realities, instead of seeking to scare them into believing that 26 million more immigrants could be on the way.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    We are apparently due a 'dramatic' Welsh poll on Monday.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/2014/05/15/something-to-look-forward-to/

The last welsh poll was 22 April, so comparing today's Populus with 13 April may give a hint.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/why2okdhkr/YG-Archives-Pol-ITVWales-120214.pdf

Populus 13 April - Wales and South West England.
    Con 38%, Lab 30%, LD 11%, Plaid 6%, UKIP 12%, Green 3%.

Populus 15 May - Wales and South West England.
    Con 43%, Lab 27%, LD 6%, Plaid 4%, UKIP 17%, Green 3%

Con up, Lab down, LD down, Plaid down, UKIP up.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, unless it moves then he's just spouting tosh.

Qatar was always bloody stupid. Nice and wealthy country, though.

Mr. Jim, cheers for the explanation. Bloody foreigners, voting and counting too slowly.

I wonder if I'll watch the results... I wonder what CGI torture will be inflicted on Jeremy Vine...
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Pulpstar
    Over the years I should be used to insincerity from politicians of all stripes.
    In her case though, it genuinely makes me want to puke.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/2014/05/15/something-to-look-forward-to/

The last welsh poll was 22 April, so comparing today's Populus with 13 April may give a hint.

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/why2okdhkr/YG-Archives-Pol-ITVWales-120214.pdf

Typically these things are overhyped!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Thanks Jack. I would like to post more often these days. I am paid as full time but I do a great part of my taks from home. Except for the visits on the ground. But it's not permanent, a project based job until the end of the year. It started in January
    JackW said:

A research financed by the economic development ministry on how teachers in Southern Italy used the new technologies bought with EU funds!
    On Friday I've to visit a secondary school in Foggia and interview the head-teacher and some of her colleagues...thankfully it's not a primary school full of female teachers talking over each other

JackW said:

I've work commitments on Friday...so I can't follow the election night as I hoped. Damn. Same thing for Friday count. I will be free from mid afternoon but the damn train doesn't have wifi connection. So I will only have the phone to check updates.
    Life is unfair!

May I ask if your work is academic or some squalid, tasteless and rather vulgar attempt at remedying the Italian economy ?

• Options

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted the governing body's decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake.

I was surprised the stadiums aren't going to be air conditioned actually, they have fake ski slopes in the desert after all ! Not like the Qataris are short of cash.
  • Options

Only took the rest of us a few seconds
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, stadia*

Now, would you like to be beaten around the head and neck with an enormo-haddock, or thrashed to within an inch of your life with a wiffle stick?

Also, I was certain the Qataris had promised air-conditioned stadia.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Poor Blatter and his friends will be crying all the way to the (Swiss) bank
  • Options

Off topic, I'm still reeling from last night's revelation that Richard Nabavi knows what a MILF is.

OMG - You didn't did you?

FYI - MILF is in fact the Moro Islamic Liberation Front

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moro_Islamic_Liberation_Front

Which led to the best headline ever, and I'm not explaining to anyone what FAP means

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6652484/milf-braces-for-fap-offensive

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Thanks Jack. I would like to post more often these days. I am paid as full time but I do a great part of my taks from home. Except for the visits on the ground. But it's not permanent, a project based job until the end of the year. It started in January

JackW said:

JackW said:

Life is unfair!

Hopefully you'll find a suitable full time post for your vastly considerable talents in the New Year .... or at least a six month UK based political post taking you past the general election !!

Best wishes to you .... one of the great and good of the "PB Old Guard"

• Options

Comparing YouGov polls we get:

YouGov 22 April - Wales and Midlands
    Con 36%, Lab 37%, LD 6%, Plaid 2%, UKIP 14%, Green 3%

YouGov 14 May - Wales and Midlands
    Con 37%, Lab 37%, LD 6%, Plaid 2%, UKIP 13%, Green 4%

no change. ?

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

TOPPING said:

Neil said:

After watching (most of) the presidential candidates debate last night, I am now minded to lend my Euro vote to the Greens. If this helps to push the LibDems into 5th place, all well and good.

Welcome aboard! You wont regret a thing!

Proves the point that several of us, most recently SO this morning, have been making on here: as one of the NOTAs is shop-soiled, people look around for another.

Yup - the interesting and significant thing is what happens to the UKIP vote after these elections. Do people return to their previous loyalties or will it be the start of something? Labour has had a very strong warning of what could well happen in May 2015 after four weeks when EdM has been on the telly everyday. The Tories do not benefit directly, but Labour-inclined voters go elsewhere or stay at home. And for the Tories that is as good as a win.

It's up to UKIP.

They are becoming too vulnerable to pursue too strongly the anti-immigrant line (and rightly because its tone and much content is nasty).

So they have a choice as to whether they want to add in another policy, say on defence, tax, health to (mis)direct peoples' attention and bring back those who might otherwise desert them.

A NOTA party needs at least to have something which people can hang their hat on (the LDs had far (further) left policies) and it's plain that the EU/immigration is turning toxic.
  • Options

isam said:

Yes, it would be good to hear Mr Farage seek to educate his party's supporters about realities, instead of seeking to scare them into believing that 26 million more immigrants could be on the way.

What?!!

Its the same across all parties, everyon over estimates and it is unsuprising that UKIP supporters over estimate more than others

I am disgreeing with you, your point was not as clever as you thought it was, because you didnt realise the national average was 31%.

On your other point (nice attempt at distraction btw) Farage has never tried to say 26m were likely to come just pointing out the truth, that we couldnt do anything about it if they wanted to... that is true isnt it?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Life is unfair!

Hopefully you'll find a suitable full time post for your vastly considerable talents in the New Year .... or at least a six month UK based political post taking you past the general election !!

Best wishes to you .... one of the great and good of the "PB Old Guard"

Well said, Andrea is a bloody star, as Michael Crick acknowledged last year

http://blogs.channel4.com/michael-crick-on-politics/secrets-political-shortlist-italian-anorak-puts-brits-shame/3632
  • Options

OMG - You didn't did you?

FYI - MILF is in fact the Moro Islamic Liberation Front

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moro_Islamic_Liberation_Front

Which led to the best headline ever, and I'm not explaining to anyone what FAP means

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/6652484/milf-braces-for-fap-offensive

familial adenomatous polyposis
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    Just as the Conservative party here delivered the first female PM, in India the conservatives (BJP) are set to deliver the first OBC (other backwards caste) PM with Modi. Both are about as significant as each other, especially since the BJP does not have any positive discrimination policies internally to help OBC and women candidates get onto the ladder like the INC.

Interesting times for India, if Modi can replicate the success he has had in my home state (Gujarat) across the rest of India, I think he could be PM for the next 10 years at least and the INC could be looking at a one way ticket to extinction if they hold onto the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty any longer.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    CON drifting yet again in the Euro Most Votes market. Beyond 11/1 again at Betfair.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,691
    We are always the first to cast our ballots, but the last to get our results. I remember staying up later than planned last time just to find out whether Nick Griffin had won a seat. Anyway, I'm casting my postal votes tomorrow (to be posted in a gold post box!), so not much time for another switch back home to Labour.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, stadia*

Now, would you like to be beaten around the head and neck with an enormo-haddock, or thrashed to within an inch of your life with a wiffle stick?

Amo
    Amas
    Amat
    Amaratis
    Amaratis
    Amarant.

No looking up....
  • Options
    Mr. PB, wasn't Modi PM before? Saw a smidgen on ITV News at Ten, which seemed to suggest he was about a decade or two ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, verbs can't save you from nominal failure!
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

JackW said:

Life is unfair!

The Farnesina should have snapped you up years ago.
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, verbs can't save you from nominal failure!

I bet you could fill a thousand stadiums with historians who had pre-prepared articles on why Hannibal is a rubbish over-rated military strategist
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

What numpty thought it was a good idea to start the 20/20 tournament in the middle of May.

The one that had seen 1/2 of it washed out for 2 years running because all the games were in the same month. And what's the issue? I like the new format - Regular Thursday or Friday evenings at the Oval every other week?
  • Options

Comparing YouGov polls we get:

YouGov 22 April - Wales and Midlands
    Con 36%, Lab 37%, LD 6%, Plaid 2%, UKIP 14%, Green 3%

YouGov 14 May - Wales and Midlands
    Con 37%, Lab 37%, LD 6%, Plaid 2%, UKIP 13%, Green 4%

no change. ?

Last welsh poll was 12 April, not 22!
    YouGov 14 April - Wales and Midlands
    Con 38%, Lab 38%, LD 10%, Plaid 2%, UKIP 8%, Green 4%.

LD down, UKIP up.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,965
    isam said:

isam said:

What?!!

Its the same across all parties, everyon over estimates and it is unsuprising that UKIP supporters over estimate more than others

I am disgreeing with you, your point was not as clever as you thought it was, because you didnt realise the national average was 31%.

On your other point (nice attempt at distraction btw) Farage has never tried to say 26m were likely to come just pointing out the truth, that we couldnt do anything about it if they wanted to... that is true isnt it?

I was not making a point. I was making an observation. UKIP voters believe that 38% of the UK's population is made up of immigrants.

But as we both know that the figure is much lower, so maybe Mr Farage might point that out. Instead, he authorised a UKIP poster which stated: "26 million people in Europe are looking for work. And whose jobs are they after?" With a finger pointing directly outwards from the poster. That is a lot more than stating that 26 million could come here.

• Options

Mr. PB, wasn't Modi PM before? Saw a smidgen on ITV News at Ten, which seemed to suggest he was about a decade or two ago.

No, the BJP were in power for a while and Modi has been chief minister of Gujarat for a while now. Not PM though. I think what hurts the BJP most is that the economic reforms they enacted back in 1999-2004 were largely responsible for the mega boom under the INC for the following 8 years, and the INC reversions to those reforms have derailed the Indian economy to the extent that parts of India have been in recession and it's just a handful of states like Gujarat (~15% YoY GDP growth), Tamil Nadu (~10% YoY GDP growth) and a few others dragging the rest of the country forwards.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

What numpty thought it was a good idea to start the 20/20 tournament in the middle of May.

The one that had seen 1/2 of it washed out for 2 years running because all the games were in the same month. And what's the issue? I like the new format - Regular Thursday or Friday evenings at the Oval every other week?
    I think it is my own position that is colouring my judgement. going to watch cricket at Old Trafford in May isn't appealing.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    ToryJim said:

Nothing short of an international scandal this. Blatter and all the rotten lot of them should pull the plug on this disgraceful project right now. There is a country ready and waiting, with great stadia, a football mad public and a lovely temperate climate. It also has a great human rights record and doesn't make blokes build in 45c with no water.

That nation hasn't hosted a World Cup since 1966.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Just as the Conservative party here delivered the first female PM, in India the conservatives (BJP) are set to deliver the first OBC (other backwards caste) PM with Modi. Both are about as significant as each other, especially since the BJP does not have any positive discrimination policies internally to help OBC and women candidates get onto the ladder like the INC.

Interesting times for India, if Modi can replicate the success he has had in my home state (Gujarat) across the rest of India, I think he could be PM for the next 10 years at least and the INC could be looking at a one way ticket to extinction if they hold onto the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty any longer.

Talking of the Nehru-Gandhi's i saw earlier that Rahul was possibly in trouble. Haven't been able to locate any further updates.
  • Options
    Stadiums is perfect

Mr. Pulpstar, stadia*

Stadiums is perfectly fine, sanctioned long ago by usage. Languages evolve, they are not preserved in aspic for the titillation of grammarians.
  • Options
    Is there a spiral of silence in Scotland?

'Why so many No voters are staying tight-lipped'
    ... If on 18 September the Yes vote prevails, a major reason – perhaps the major reason – will be what Mr Salmond proudly calls the Edinburgh Agreement. Committing itself to that agreement is emerging more and more clearly as an act of hubristic folly by the Westminster government – one based no doubt on the presumption that a voting outcome in favour of Scottish independence was inconceivable.

... Much more important was London's supine acceptance of the Electoral Commission's recommended wording of the referendum question: 'Should Scotland be an independent country?' Mr Salmond and the SNP must have found it hard to believe their luck. Vote Yes for independence – with all the positive gloss and power and appeal that word enjoys. How many countries are there that are not independent? And in any event, with its guaranteed independent religious, legal and educational systems, plus a parliament in Edinburgh, isn't Scotland already more or less an independent country?

Vote No for what? Nothing positive. No hint of preserving a 300-year union. Just Yes for, or No against, independence. And rejecting independence, isn't one apparently in favour of its opposite? What is that? Subordination? Subservience? Dependency? Even subjugation and enslavement? Is it really so surprising that No voters may prefer to remain tight-lipped about how they intend to mark their ballot?
    http://www.scottishreview.net/AndrewHook157.shtml?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=8427-318463-The+lost+leader:+a+conversation+with+John+Smith
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

Nothing short of an international scandal this. Blatter and all the rotten lot of them should pull the plug on this disgraceful project right now. There is a country ready and waiting, with great stadia, a football mad public and a lovely temperate climate. It also has a great human rights record and doesn't make blokes build in 45c with no water.

Anywhere but here. Please.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

That's what people said about London 2012.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I'm not surprised there's been a temporary lift, with the lies and distortions being made by the establishment parties and unchecked by the media. However, I'm confident that over the course of a referendum campaign about it the British public would make the sensible choice to leave.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

isam said:

isam said:

What?!!

I was not making a point. I was making an observation. UKIP voters believe that 38% of the UK's population is made up of immigrants.

But as we both know that the figure is much lower, so maybe Mr Farage might point that out. Instead, he authorised a UKIP poster which stated: "26 million people in Europe are looking for work. And whose jobs are they after?" With a finger pointing directly outwards from the poster. That is a lot more than stating that 26 million could come here.

You were trying to make a point, but you messed it up by lack of research

UKIP voters believe it 38%

And nationwide it is believed to be 31%

When the truth is 13-14%

So why are you singling out Farage?

It doesnt make any difference at all if the actual number was 0%, the 26m are entitled to comefigure is still relevant. Dont you understand? The point is that we cant do anything about it, ot that 26m are going to come

• Options
    According to Kippers like Isam we are all immigrants now. The only people who count as Londoners to them have to have been born within the sound of the Bow Bells (near a tube station) and weaned on a diet consisting purely of jellied eels and hard water.
  • Options
    Mr. Fett, balderdash.

Stadium is a Latin word, stadia is the correct plural. As well as being wrong, 'stadiums' also suffers from sounding ugly. Do you approve of Brexit and the even worse Scoxit? No.

Evolution sometimes leads to evolutionary dead ends.

Mr. PB, ah, cheers for that. Will the BJP seek to reduce India's infamous bureaucracy? One of the reasons why F1 never liked India was because it was a pain in the arse with bureaucracy and tax.
  • Options

We are always the first to cast our ballots, but the last to get our results. I remember staying up later than planned last time just to find out whether Nick Griffin had won a seat. Anyway, I'm casting my postal votes tomorrow (to be posted in a gold post box!), so not much time for another switch back home to Labour.

Voters like you might explain why SLab are staring at the possibility of a sub-20% result.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited May 2014

Tories the leading party of Wales? That would fit "dramatic"....

You do wonder how long it is going to take the Welsh to realise that Labour are just rubbish at running their lives. How ironic it would be if it was the failings of the Labour-run Welsh NHS - that totemic institution that Labour fills its PEB with - that finally drove the point home. It was intriguing that this was raised by a member of the QT audience from Wales a few weeks back - to considerable applause.

The more Primrose Hill Labour talk about the NHS, the worse it gets for them in Wales. That would be delicious...

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Is this thread one that shows almost perfectly that people see what they want to see from polling?

I cant believe the intelligent people on here didnt put two and two together and realise that IPSOS MORIs low UKIP score directly correlates with this "22 year low"

I'll take EVENS off anybody that the next EU IN or OUT poll with a different firm has a better score for OUT?

Anyone game???
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

Pah. 'Ave a word with yerself lad.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    Seems a paradox that as support of UKIP goes up, support for leaving the EU goes down.

Very odd.
  • Options
    Craig Woodhouse ‏@craigawoodhouse 14s

Axel Folly? MT "@CCHQPress Labour's latest guru @davidaxelrod gets Ed Miliband's name wrong in tweet http://order-order.com/2014/05/16/axelrod-cant-even-spell-miliband/ …"
  • Options
    At least he didn't call him David
  • Options

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

I just despise football.
  • Options

At least he didn't call him David

Jacqui Smith called him David on Wednesday's Sky News Press Preview #anorak
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    TGOHF said:

Arf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27437973

"UKIP has come under fire after it emerged that seven people were arrested on suspicion of immigration offences in a raid on a restaurant owned by the party's small business spokesman."

If only the media were as diligent on investigating and reporting the misdeeds of members of the big three parties as they were to UKIP. I've been truly disgusted by the double standards. Of course, the media needs their access journalism to the bigger parties. When it's the BBC doing it, it's particularly sickening.

Have we ever had anyone that's refused to pay for their TV licence on political grounds?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

According to Kippers like Isam we are all immigrants now. The only people who count as Londoners to them have to have been born within the sound of the Bow Bells (near a tube station) and weaned on a diet consisting purely of jellied eels and hard water.

I didnt say anything of the sort

People that were born and bred in a place care more about the rapid pace of change to it than those who moved later in life was my point.

You seemed to have turned more sensible recently, but this morning you are trolling, whats happened?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Seems a paradox that as support of UKIP goes up, support for leaving the EU goes down.

Very odd.

When you see the Nature of the Beast at close quarters @Gin, fight or flight syndrome kicks in
  • Options

ToryJim said:

BobaFett said:

ToryJim said:

I don't recollect seeing Olympic spectators fighting in the streets.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Arf

"UKIP has come under fire after it emerged that seven people were arrested on suspicion of immigration offences in a raid on a restaurant owned by the party's small business spokesman."

If only the media were as diligent on investigating and reporting the misdeeds of members of the big three parties as they were to UKIP. I've been truly disgusted by the double standards. Of course, the media needs their access journalism to the bigger parties. When it's the BBC doing it, it's particularly sickening.

Have we ever had anyone that's refused to pay for their TV licence on political grounds?
    The media and non Kippers on here are David Brent to UKIP's Neil
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

MaxPB said:

Talking of the Nehru-Gandhi's i saw earlier that Rahul was possibly in trouble. Haven't been able to locate any further updates.
    He lost in the first round to the BJP candidate, but he won the run off. Still a shocking result for him not to get over the line without a second round, and losing the first round was terrible.

Mr. PB, ah, cheers for that. Will the BJP seek to reduce India's infamous bureaucracy? One of the reasons why F1 never liked India was because it was a pain in the arse with bureaucracy and tax.

Yes, I think that's the first thing on the to do list. Dropping the tax action against big multinationals and changing the tax code to ensure they can prosper in India and create masses of jobs (like they do in China) and for homegrown manufacturing companies to pop up.
  • Options

Mr. Fett, balderdash.

Stadium is a Latin word, stadia is the correct plural. As well as being wrong, 'stadiums' also suffers from sounding ugly. Do you approve of Brexit and the even worse Scoxit? No.

I despise of Brexit, but stadiums is a recognised word which is sanctioned by usage. Stadia sounds a self-consciously posh now, if you ask me.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I'm not surprised there's been a temporary lift, with the lies and distortions being made by the establishment parties and unchecked by the media. However, I'm confident that over the course of a referendum campaign about it the British public would make the sensible choice to leave.

Wishful thinking.
  • Options

Axel Folly? MT "@CCHQPress Labour's latest guru @davidaxelrod gets Ed Miliband's name wrong in tweet http://order-order.com/2014/05/16/axelrod-cant-even-spell-miliband/ …"

Barely believable that CCHQ retweeted this!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: The most notable thing about the graph is the fact that sentiment has hardly changed in 20 years. Given the severity of the Eurozone crisis, it's surprising that there wasn't more of a move towards Out in 2011-2012. I imagine the fall since then is because the Eurozone travails have been out of the news.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

Arf

Well it was the Times that broke the story not the BBC.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

But one thing it does prove... the desperation to show everything bad for UKIP interferes with the rational thinking of usually cool headed posters on PB

Well this twitpic has certainly interfered with my rational thinking.

It is accompanied by the following tweet:

@FarageTobyJug: UKIP candidate reveals 'Nazi tattoos' in naked photo session politicalscrapbook.net/2014/05/nazi-tattoo-ukip-candidate-in-mystery-powder-naked-photoshoot/ … … #NSF

Follow the politicalscrapbook link for the full story:

If you only want to see the pic it is here: politicalscrapbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/kevin-odoherty-dualism-shoot.jpg

Kevin O’Doherty (pictured right above), who is standing for UKIP in Hastings where the party boasts one councillor, has already hit the headlines, having claimed on Facebook that “there is no such thing as a benign Muslim” and defending the vile racist who suggested that Lenny Henry should emigrate “to a black country”.

The rest is silence.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Its flawed because the pollster has UKIP at the bottom end of its support

Because I noticed it, not OGH, no one will agree
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Why? Labour would have done so, in the same situation.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ToryJim said:

MaxPB said:

He lost in the first round to the BJP candidate, but he won the run off. Still a shocking result for him not to get over the line without a second round, and losing the first round was terrible.

Yes, I think that's the first thing on the to do list. Dropping the tax action against big multinationals and changing the tax code to ensure they can prosper in India and create masses of jobs (like they do in China) and for homegrown manufacturing companies to pop up.
    Thanks, sounds pretty grim. I thought India used FPTP so I'm confused as to rounds. Unless they've changed voting systems
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Because David Cameron's unique contribution to the English language involves twitter.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

But one thing it does prove... the desperation to show everything bad for UKIP interferes with the rational thinking of usually cool headed posters on PB

@FarageTobyJug: UKIP candidate reveals 'Nazi tattoos' in naked photo session politicalscrapbook.net/2014/05/nazi-tattoo-ukip-candidate-in-mystery-powder-naked-photoshoot/ … … #NSF

Kevin O’Doherty (pictured right above), who is standing for UKIP in Hastings where the party boasts one councillor, has already hit the headlines, having claimed on Facebook that “there is no such thing as a benign Muslim” and defending the vile racist who suggested that Lenny Henry should emigrate “to a black country”.

The rest is silence.

An unsavoury type for sure
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Then again you noticed a year old blog last night.
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Then again you noticed a year old blog last night.
    And it was pointed out immediately.. I rest my case
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    BobaFett said:

How much are Labour paying this yank dilettante? Your talent for wasting money is undiminished in opposition.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

isam said:

If you only want to see the pic it is here: politicalscrapbook.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/kevin-odoherty-dualism-shoot.jpg

The rest is silence.

Another rotten apple who's slipped through the net. (Seems to be a regular occurrence).
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Your querulous paranoia seems a little difficult to justify.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Mr. Fett, balderdash.

I despise of Brexit, but stadiums is a recognised word which is sanctioned by usage. Stadia sounds a self-consciously posh now, if you ask me.
    Brexit is a brilliant word - it reduces a long complex idea and phrase - "British exit from theEuropean Union" - to a single brace of syllables. That is exactly what good new words should do. Anyone who "despises" it is a moron, and probably not a good writer.

Stadia is effete.

In other news, I just made £3k selling a thriller I'd entirely forgotten to Poland. I love my job. It's not so much the size of these minor advances, but the unexpected nature of them. It's like every so often, someone randomly comes round to my house and throws a few grand through the window.

Sweet.
    I have now been deemed a "bullying Europhile", "mindless unionist", "champagne socialist" (a number of times), "rich out of touch lefty Londoner", "moron" and most hurtfully of all "non-Londoner".

Such is the gloriously rich tapestry of life, on PB.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994

AveryLP said:

isam said:

The rest is silence.

Another rotten apple who's slipped through the net. (Seems to be a regular occurrence).
    To add to the many Tory rotten apples who were caught in the net but then released back into the sea to continue as before. Do you really want me to list once again all those Tory councillors again who have been caught but who have remained in their positions with the blessing of the party.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    My opinion of Axelrod has just gone up. Getting his own back in that way for the misspelling of his name by Labour shows a subtlety and lightness of touch not usually associated with Americans.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

isam said:

The rest is silence.

What is this man supposed to have done?

• Options

AveryLP said:

isam said:

The rest is silence.

It's not the individual apples that are rotten, it's the orchard.

• Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Chin up Isam - you already have a feather in your cap for spotting that Mike posted up last year's Ukip PPB a few weeks back!
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Very odd.

Your querulous paranoia seems a little difficult to justify.
    "Just because youre paranoid, dont mean theyre not after you"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Mr. Fett, balderdash.

Brexit is a brilliant word - it reduces a long complex idea and phrase - "British exit from theEuropean Union" - to a single brace of syllables. That is exactly what good new words should do. Anyone who "despises" it is a moron, and probably not a good writer.

Stadia is effete.

In other news, I just made £3k selling a thriller I'd entirely forgotten to Poland. I love my job. It's not so much the size of these minor advances, but the unexpected nature of them. It's like every so often, someone randomly comes round to my house and throws a few grand through the window.

Sweet.
    I have now been deemed a "bullying Europhile", "mindless unionist", "champagne socialist" (a number of times), "rich out of touch lefty Londoner", "moron" and most hurtfully of all "non-Londoner".

I've been accused on here and twitter of being a socialist, a Lib Dem, a Kipper, a Euro-Federalist, a Nat, a deluded Unionist, a racist, an Islamophobe, and the possessor of the worst taste in music in the known universe.

Obviously only the latter accusation hurt.
  • Options
    In other great news, I got my mum to buy £10k worth of rupees a couple of weeks ago at 102, the rate is now 99.4! :D

I expect it continue strengthening over the next month or so until it hits around 95, the long term rate should be around 80-85 but it will take time for the Indian economy to be repaired and for such rates to be sustainable. Hopefully this will also see inflation rate drop soon, normal Indians need the respite from 11-14% inflation rates.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

SeanT said:

BobaFett said:

Mr. Fett, balderdash.

Stadia is effete.

Sweet.

I've been accused on here and twitter of being a socialist, a Lib Dem, a Kipper, a Euro-Federalist, a Nat, a deluded Unionist, a racist, an Islamophobe, and the possessor of the worst taste in music in the known universe.

Obviously only the latter accusation hurt.
    Lol!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2014
    SeanT said:

Apparently, the UK will run out of oil in 5 years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27435624

So if the Scots vote YES, and go independent by 2016, they will be able to enjoy life as an oil rich Tartan Norway for about six hours, then go bankrupt by tea-time.

Sean your normally fully functional bullshit detector may be having a rest day. This is a watermelon report issued by a watermelon organisation making a watermelon recommendation - shock horror! Ignore it. (see my earlier post re 'how long we have left')

But, strangely, your point about Scotland may not be entirely wrong. Oil production in UK waters will fall. But only gradually. At some point though it will become uneconomic and stop. Gas, on the other hand has a WAY longer horizon. We haven't even started on shale, tight gas or CBM and conventional production in the southern/central north sea has a longer horizon than oil in the northern acreage. And the coal is very much there in large amounts - but we stopped mining it because deep mining is not cost competitive vs the USA or Australia. But it's there if economics demanded a return to coal mining. The thing is the oil is nearly all in Scotland and the gas and coal are nearly all in England.

Mwahahahahaha!!!!

• Options
    Welsh sub-sample update.
    Survation appears to show a marked fall in Labour/LD. Big rise for Plaid, smaller rise for UKIP.

It's all too exciting for words.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

PB is very good for thickening the hide.

Not that we Forest fans have needed much hide-thickening the past few decades. As the Fuhrer/Gordon Brown said in one of the original Downfall spoofs "Even Derby County are laughing at us..."

• Options
    edited May 2014

AveryLP said:

isam said:

The rest is silence.

To add to the many Tory rotten apples who were caught in the net but then released back into the sea to continue as before. Do you really want me to list once again all those Tory councillors again who have been caught but who have remained in their positions with the blessing of the party.
    Go for it.

UKIP bill themselves as being somehow 'different', and yet they appear to be much the same as all the others, including a leader who goes heavy on the expenses. I hope Nigel's got some decent AirCon to keeps those 'banks of computers' cool over the Summer.

What is their USP these days?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    SeanT said:

They'll have to move the Strasbourg parliament to Swindon.

Let's hope they bring the Strasbourg restaurants with them.
This discussion has been closed.